Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Notabug said:

You're the exception that proves the rule, I guess.  I still think Jill owns a ton of ballcaps and didn't really need a new one.  I am kind of surprised that, given her current proximity to Cleveland and her penchant for political incorrectness, that she seemingly doesn't have an old baseball cap with Chief Wahoo on it.  Even I have a couple of those.

I get ya on the state vs national park distinction and this is an area that has a ton of parks.  Cleveland itself is surrounded by a ring of beautiful metropolitan parks, also known as the Emerald Necklace.  Almost anywhere you go in the city, you are no more than a mile or two from a gorgeous park.  

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park does have a metric sh** ton of signage proclaiming it to be a national park, though, and not a state park.

Aren’t ball caps “manly?” Women and girls can’t wear pants, but ball caps are ok?

13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That is what I thought at first too. Then I saw this pic.

image.png.fc67e75963d2cb1c32d4df1099dc092e.png

Make it stop!

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, ChristmasCrafter said:

Does anyone know when the next Jilly Beans gift grab is happening? Ie: Kaylee's wedding.

23 minutes ago, ChristmasCrafter said:

Does anyone know when the next Jilly Beans gift grab is happening? Ie: Kaylee's wedding.

Before that! Jill’s anniversary is in October. Kaylee wedding is in November.

Cue grift a thon starting now lol. 

No way Jill is paying for her anniversary party/new wedding dress lol. 

I wonder if she will do a renewal ceremony in her cemetery garden.

• LOL 6

Maybe Jill's Amish friends will throw her and DBD a big anniversary party with lots of food. 

Not. 

I think Jill will combine it with Kaylee's wedding. Jill will plan the wedding and serve chips, candy, and punch. Kaylee, the other kids, and the church ladies can organize the anniversary dinner for the same day. One invitation will take care of both events (not everyone gets dinner, of course), and, more importantly, Jill can upstage Kaylee on her wedding day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

C0AAADA9-8312-42DF-AEEC-B2F0D6093A6E.jpeg

The weather is obviously much cooler than where I am.  Leggings, skirt, blouse, all topped off by a long-sleeved jacket.  I am overheated just thinking about it.  We have been under a heat advisory here, and today is "supposed" to be the last day before the temperature drops slightly.  I'm not wearing anything near the amount of clothing she is.  At least Dave has water and short sleeves.

• Useful 1
22 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

The weather is obviously much cooler than where I am.  Leggings, skirt, blouse, all topped off by a long-sleeved jacket.  I am overheated just thinking about it.  We have been under a heat advisory here, and today is "supposed" to be the last day before the temperature drops slightly.  I'm not wearing anything near the amount of clothing she is.  At least Dave has water and short sleeves.

Well, if the Rods get hot, they can just remove their shoes and jump in an available pool of water. They all came dressed in their godly swimwear, so no problem.

• LOL 15

NONONONONONONO

They were practically in my backyard!!!!!  Jill, Cuyahoga is a NATIONAL park.  Not a STATE park.  And it’s one of the free ones to enter, so no surprise that they went there.  I’m surprised they went to Brandywine Falls…lots of steps to tackle and a little hike.  And they went to Szalay’s?!?!  Best farm stand around.  I LOVE going there. The picnic tables they sat at are actually swings.  So I have to give them props for going there. 
Cuyahoga is where my partner (with whom I’m living in sin… 😈) and I go to ride bikes and get away for an afternoon.  Hope she felt that tremor in the force…sinners hiking the same paths she and her hunka hunk did. And sitting and eating ice cream at those same tables. 

Edited by Lady Edith
  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Not sure what day this was, but it was mid-upper 80's and humid through the weekend.  It was very rainy both Sunday and Monday, though.  They're way overdressed for Labor Day weekend in Ohio, too.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Not sure what day this was, but it was mid-upper 80's and humid through the weekend.  It was very rainy both Sunday and Monday, though.  They're way overdressed for Labor Day weekend in Ohio, too.

When are they ever dressed appropriately? Especially the little ones. 

• Sad 5
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Cue grift a thon starting now lol. 

Because her most recents ones have gone so well.    She is hitting up her marks too often.    A GOOD con artist always leave something to come back for later.   You shear the sheep, not skin them.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Is there a spider on Jill’s hat?

Yaaaassssss (said in the female Rodlets' voices).  I was waiting for someone else to mention that!

She is looking rough.  Her eyeliner is absolutely caked.

screenshot.png

Edited by CouchTater
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Aren’t ball caps “manly?” Women and girls can’t wear pants, but ball caps are ok?

Make it stop!

It’s not a ball cap, it’s a bonnet! And she doesn’t wear T-shirts. No that’s for men! She wears blouses that are the cut, style, and material as a T-shirt. But it’s not! There’s a big difference! 

(her calling what was obviously a T-shirt a blouse is one of the most ridiculous Jillpm things ever)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • LOL 12
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That is what I thought at first too. Then I saw this pic.

image.png.fc67e75963d2cb1c32d4df1099dc092e.png

Oh, my. Jon is beginning to blend in a little too well. He might want to invest in a pair of used sneakers, however. Jill gets these calls to nature pretty often, so he should have the footwear he needs.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Oh, my. Jon is beginning to blend in a little too well. He might want to invest in a pair of used sneakers, however. Jill gets these calls to nature pretty often, so he should have the footwear he needs.

Yup. They were having a relay-type race in one video. Jon was barefoot. And... he wiped-out.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 6
  • LOL 1

Poor Jonathan. He seems to work a lot, so he should be able to manage a cheap pair of shoes.

Maybe Jill is demanding a bride price for Kaylee's hand in marriage. That would be the ultimate grift. Or Jon could be secretly saving for a permanent honeymoon to Mississippi.  

• Wink 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Maybe he scored in the second percentile and they interpreted it as the second highest score?

I'm going with this one.   Or Jill lies.   Which I'm pretty sure is one of the big no-nos in the Bible.  

• Like 6
  • Love 7

I have never heard of being told what place you came in on a placement test, pass/fail, yes. 🤷🏼‍♀️ If it was indeed a grammar test, that’s a new one for me. I am familiar with writing placement tests. (Yes I know grammar counts.)

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

967E4ECF-CF55-46D4-9AC7-BBBDFB587F8B.jpeg

I don't believe Jill. Whatever test he took, she is lying about something. Her children do not have good grammar skills, because they have been poorly taught by her. I think this story is directly aimed at her detractors (of which I am one!). 

• Like 3
  • Love 12

Googling "realm" brings back (which won't copy/paste):

Noun:

1) A kingdom.

2) A field or domain of activity or interest.

3) A primary biogeographical division of the earth's surface.

Her use of realm fits with the second definition.

Also, per Merriam-Webster

Synonyms for realm

Synonyms

area, 

arena, 

bailiwick, 

barony, 

business, 

circle, 

demesne, 

department, 

discipline, 

domain, 

element, 

fief, 

fiefdom, 

field, 

firmament, 

front, 

game, 

kingdom, 

line, 

precinct, 

province, 

specialty, 

sphere, 

terrain, 

walk

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

The class Tim was tested for is probably "Studying Scripture with Grammar I." I don't see a general writing course listed anywhere in the school's catalog. Tim's KJV grammar skills may have earned him a good spot in that course--whatever it is. 

Or maybe he gets to sit in the second chair in the first row of the classroom. That's the second best seat in the room. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Noun:

1) A kingdom.

Synonyms for realm

Synonyms

area, 

arena, 

bailiwick, 

barony, 

business, 

circle, 

demesne, 

department, 

discipline, 

domain, 

element, 

fief, 

fiefdom, 

field, 

firmament, 

front, 

game, 

kingdom, 

line, 

precinct, 

province, 

specialty, 

sphere, 

terrain, 

walk

My bad but I still doubt Jill knew she was using it appropriately. It’s not generally used that way. It also doesn’t change the fact that Phillip was taught by a barely literate mother, and he is barely literate himself. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

Noun:

1) A kingdom.

Synonyms for realm

Synonyms

area, 

arena, 

bailiwick, 

barony, 

business, 

circle, 

demesne, 

department, 

discipline, 

domain, 

element, 

fief, 

fiefdom, 

field, 

firmament, 

front, 

game, 

kingdom, 

line, 

precinct, 

province, 

specialty, 

sphere, 

terrain, 

walk

I've always been fond of "bailiwick" which comes from the original French bailie combined with '-wic', the Anglo-Saxon suffix (meaning a village) to produce a term meaning literally 'bailiff's village'  I love  etymology!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Observations:

Tim's dog is beautiful.  Glad to see Tim brought him along on the Labor Day outing and he got some exercise. 

Kaylee is really beautiful.  

And WoW, good for Philiip.  If Jill is telling the truth about the outcome of his test, then I am happy he did well and maybe was placed in "the good class".  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ranchgirl said:

Observations:

Tim's dog is beautiful.  Glad to see Tim brought him along on the Labor Day outing and he got some exercise. 

Kaylee is really beautiful.  

And WoW, good for Philiip.  If Jill is telling the truth about the outcome of his test, then I am happy he did well and maybe was placed in "the good class".  

Someone on FJ did some sleuthing on the college's website in terms of courses. There weren't any dedicated English classes that they could find. If Phillip was really tested, it is probably more for the teachers to know what to expect when the  students write their first paper. 

I bet most of the incoming freshmen at this place have never written a simple five paragraph essay. 

• Sad 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5

I figured many of the other students had been to actual schools and had transcripts so the college already knew where to place them. Phillip would have nothing like that and was "tested" or assessed for placement. Probably tested to be placed into remedial classes. We have seen examples of Phillip's writing and use of language. BME has nothing to be proud of there.

I also doubt they tested ALL students because some of them went to the college last year, so the college would already know where to place them. If he was second of ALL students, it seems he would be placed in the second year classes or something and jill would be crowing how it would be saving him time and money by not needed the first year english classes.

On Reddit someone posted audio of Phiilip singing a song he wrote about Hungary. Yikes it was bad. I actually didn't know if it was a parody.  If it was Phillip, he tries to sing in that same fake bass voice like Timothy.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1

This place is basically a church school. It’s not accredited nor does it offer any real degrees. Liberty and even Bob Jones at least offer real degrees. Placing second out of what has to be a very small student body isn’t something brag worthy. And scoring second doesn’t mean he necessarily did well. I poked around on the school’s website (because fundy colleges are so weird with their rules and admissions “criteria”) and I don’t think grammar is a high priority, even at the staff level. 

E27BEC82-E98F-4A69-B1B1-2B3EF25EEB32.jpeg

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

This place is basically a church school. It’s not accredited nor does it offer any real degrees. Liberty and even Bob Jones at least offer real degrees. Placing second out of what has to be a very small student body isn’t something brag worthy. And scoring second doesn’t mean he necessarily did well. I poked around on the school’s website (because fundy colleges are so weird with their rules and admissions “criteria”) and I don’t think grammar is a high priority, even at the staff level. 

A close reading of the school's catalog suggests your assessment is correct. This college is an extension of Phillip's homeschooling, except, unlike Jill, the teachers will hold classes every morning instead of using the time to post on social media and sell Plexus. 

I doubt there are separate remedial classes. While the students may or may not be grouped, everyone in a "major" will get the curriculum in that program. 

Maybe Massillon tells all the new students they placed second on the grammar test. This news will make students and their parents happy and get everyone off to a good start. 

I hope Phillip is able to buy the $2.50 lunch the school offers. No matter what it is, it will be several hundred calories a day he can really use. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

A close reading of the school's catalog suggests your assessment is correct. This college is an extension of Phillip's homeschooling, except, unlike Jill, the teachers will hold classes every morning instead of using the time to post on social media and sell Plexus. 

They sell Plexus in the afternoon.

5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

On Reddit someone posted audio of Phiilip singing a song he wrote about Hungary. Yikes it was bad. I actually didn't know if it was a parody.  If it was Phillip, he tries to sing in that same fake bass voice like Timothy.

Philly is trying to become the fundie Weird Al.

• LOL 12