Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

A976E748-BF34-4C5D-A01D-CD7CFC9DF9CD.jpeg

B1786FCA-ABE6-49F4-B6B6-2FD9525D7CBE.jpeg

Of course the baby was playing near a shelf of binders with nary a toy in sight.

Of course he wasn't napping on a schedule.

Of course no one perceived he was exhausted and put him down in a suitable sleeping space.

Of course Jill unselfconsciously posted this with no clue how bad it looks.

Edited by Portia
  • Like 16
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Philip is going to college. Guess they grifted enough $

083B6B2F-3E78-467A-ABC2-47A18581200E.jpeg

Longest 5 minutes of my life. Philip good luck to you my brainwashed buddy.

He wants to save Hungarian people from Satan. Oookaayyy…

WTF was that?  Phillip does have a better speaking voice than Tim, I'll give him that.  Like the other Rods we've heard speak, though, he sort of sounds like he is speaking in a foreign language he doesn't really understand.  Stellar job of edumacating your kids,  Jill.

I would like to point out that 60+% of Hungarians say they are Catholic.  Poor lost souls.

• Sad 12
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I usually avoid videos uploaded by Jill but I listened to this for some reason, I had to look up information about Hungary and religion,I don’t know how accurate the percentages are but around 70% of the population are Christian so why is Philip going here? Is it because most of them are Catholic? Urgh I know they hate catholics but do they have to make it so obvious. If these people really wanted to “save” people why not help out in the US first or you know go somewhere like china for example a non Christian country. 

• Sad 9
  • Love 4

Isn't Phillip the one usually stuck with preaching duty when they're on the road? That might make his speech a tad bit better.

And was Tessie stuck watching all her siblings while BME and the four who got to go with her were at Olive Garden?

Edited by beckie
  • Sad 6
8 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

If I pretend to be asleep, perhaps MeMe will leave me alone!

It didn't work,  she's still taking pictures of him. 

3 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

I usually avoid videos uploaded by Jill but I listened to this for some reason, I had to look up information about Hungary and religion,I don’t know how accurate the percentages are but around 70% of the population are Christian so why is Philip going here? Is it because most of them are Catholic? Urgh I know they hate catholics but do they have to make it so obvious. If these people really wanted to “save” people why not help out in the US first or you know go somewhere like china for example a non Christian country. 

We all know that Catholics aren't considered real Christians by this brand of dingbat. The people of Hungary are going to eat this poor brainwashed child alive. 

• Like 15
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

That’s one of the creepiest things I’ve ever heard in my life.  Phillip is a loon, just like his mother.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

We all know that Catholics aren't considered real Christians by this brand of dingbat. The people of Hungary are going to eat this poor brainwashed child alive. 

How would he even talk with anybody in Hungary? Does he intend to learn their language?

His particular brand of fundamentalist Christianity thinks the KJV of the Bible is the only correct version. So, how can someone who doesn't speak English - and therefore can't read the KJV - ever be saved and brought to the Lord Daniel?

• Like 14
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I realize pointing out Jilly's grammar is like shooting fish in a barrel, but Phillip's burden to be a missionary required a video? He made it just for them! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm fucking sorry but him saying that the children from the pictures he found on the Google machine, probably curated by Mahmo because let's be real he's not allowed on there without supervising, look poor and deprived of goodness is something else. They look much, much, much healthier than your little sisters do. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 9
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Why do these people consider this a burden? It should be considered a gift, however stupid it is. You know what is a burden? Jill. 

Phillip doesn't really want to go, doncha know. He feels its his Christian duty. A duty put on him by Jesus. 😉

And... burdens get the grift.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Phillip doesn't really want to go, doncha know. He feels its his Christian duty. A duty put on him by Jesus. 😉

And... burdens get the grift.

And Hungary is full of ebil Catholics. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I think the people of Hungary are going to be mighty surprised to hear they need saving.   IF they can even understand him.   You know he is the type to insist everyone speak English.

As for Nemo, why do I have a feeling that the Barndo is not child proofed?

• Sad 9

Phillip is burdened to be a missionary to Hungary. Tim is burdened to be a missionary pilot. Does Sam have a burden yet? What about Gabe? At least the girls' burdens are cheaper and easier to fulfill. 

I'll be delighted if Phillip ever gets to Hungary. I can't see him very effective as a missionary so the Hungarian people are safe, but it will drive Jill crazy that he's far away in another country. He will also encounter all kinds of new people and things. I'd be surprised if he adapts, but it will do him good to try. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Like 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

How would he even talk with anybody in Hungary? Does he intend to learn their language?

His particular brand of fundamentalist Christianity thinks the KJV of the Bible is the only correct version. So, how can someone who doesn't speak English - and therefore can't read the KJV - ever be saved and brought to the Lord Daniel?

No of course Phillip isn't going to learn Hungarian.  Jesus will find a way for him to communicate because He doesn't expect any effort on the parts of those who already believe.  Just as JRod and spouse sit around all day waiting for donations for their godly work, Phillip will expect that any Hungarians who encounter him will rush off to the first English class they can find so they can understand God's word.  If English was good enough for King James, it is good enough for Hungarians.  About 20% of Hungarians speak English, BTW.  

Considering Phillip barely speaks passable English thanks to his stupid mother, I can only imagine him trying to handle a foreign language let alone sitting in a class with others, studying from a textbook and otherwise actually participating in the learning process.

• Like 13
  • Love 6

People on Reddit are saying pictures are not even of the starving Hungarians. It’s of Roma gypsies. Or Ukrainian dance group wearing traditional clothes.

I googled poor Roma gypsies and pictures similar to what Philip used popped up. Mahmo didn’t even google/use proper terms.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 7
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

No of course Phillip isn't going to learn Hungarian.  Jesus will find a way for him to communicate because He doesn't expect any effort on the parts of those who already believe....Phillip will expect that any Hungarians who encounter him will rush off to the first English class they can find so they can understand God's word.  If English was good enough for King James, it is good enough for Hungarians.  About 20% of Hungarians speak English, BTW.  

There is always the international language of interperative dance. Maybe Philip can take lessons from Derick Dillard before flying off to Hungary.

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Philip has about the same chance of being a missionary to Hungary as Tim does of becoming a missionary pilot.

Those poor uneducated, ham-strung, deprived children.

I agree. Philip is never going to Hungary.  Hungary is not his burden. Jill is his true burden. In a year or less, Jill will post some screed about someone who has persecuted Poor Philip, causing him  to have to postpone or cancel his trip to save the Hungarians.  He will then be truly burdened to provide for BME and GWE. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 14

I'm not sure if I feel worse for Philip or Tim. Philip gets points for the sheer futility of his mission (trying to change the religion of people in a developed country who have been christian for 1000+ years) and having no one in his circle bright enough to point out that obvious fact. On the other hand, with bible college and Mahmo's mad grifting skills, he might just be able to waste a couple weeks haranguing Hungarians at some point. For Tim, on the other hand, it looks like he doesn't have the basic educational skills to pass pilot training, which is really sad because it would have given him a much more viable career option if he ever figures out that the will of God and the will of Mahmo aren't actually the same thing. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Will go fund me pay for his trip to Hungary? Because his parents will not.

I think Philip will never go to Hungary. 

Presumably, Phillip needs to complete the three-year missionary program and then find a sponsor or other way to get to Hungary. The Rods are good at finding shortcuts, so who knows. I somehow doubt he'll finish much of Bible college program, although the school will probably want to keep him as long as he can pay. I think money and the tedium of commuting, sitting in class, and studying will get to Phil. Jill doesn't get how school works, so she'll still expect him to drop everything and show up for lots of Jill-centric events. While it's not impossible Jill will find someone to sponsor Phillip for a while, I suspect Hungary will be Phil's dream for the next thirty years. 

4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Philip has about the same chance of being a missionary to Hungary as Tim does of becoming a missionary pilot.

There's also the unspoken burden of getting married and bringing forth an RV full of caterwauling warriors for Jesus. I suspect in ten years, Phillip's and Tim's lives will look exactly like what they've grown up with.   

In high school, I wanted to become a fashion designer. My teachers knew it was unlikely, and gently suggested other options. I never got closer to being a fashion designer than watching Project Runway. However, I developed other practical plans and received the education to pursue them. 

• Like 9
  • Love 6

Remember Phillip preaching on the 7 countries of the world? He has been taught the continents are countries. (Nurie went to South Africa, Africa per jill's post)

In Phillip's weirdly drawn chart of the 7 "countries" he had next to Europe "corrupt, hardened hearts and minds". So pictures of anyone in Europe are the same as Hungarians in his uneducated mind.

The only way Phillip will ever get to Hungary, Europe is some kind of week or two missions trip like Nurie and David went on to Africa.

Screenshot (208).png

• Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 6
4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

If Phillip was really interested in learning the Hungarian language or about that country's rich culture, he lives less than an hour from Cleveland.  Cleveland has the second largest Hungarian population of any city in the world.  Only Budapest has more Hungarians.  Of course, the institution that has preserved the language and culture here has been the Catholic Church where second and third generations and beyond have learned the language of their ancestors as well as culture including dance and food and history.  There are Catholic churches here originally build by Hungarian immigrants that, to this day, have Mass in Hungarian and sponsor all sorts of opportunities for Americans to learn about Hungary and its heritage.  Just a quick check online lists at least 3 local parishes that have one Mass in Hungarian every Sunday.  Think how quickly Philly could pick up the language if he attended!  And he'd even learn the Jesus-y words!

He would have a stroke if he walked in and saw the statues and people lighting candles and praying in front of said statue. IDOL WORSHIP.  Never mind taking the time to find out what is actually happening. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

WTF was that?  Phillip does have a better speaking voice than Tim, I'll give him that.  Like the other Rods we've heard speak, though, he sort of sounds like he is speaking in a foreign language he doesn't really understand.  Stellar job of edumacating your kids,  Jill.

I would like to point out that 60+% of Hungarians say they are Catholic.  Poor lost souls.

I wonder how many Hungarians speak English?

ETA - I see this has already been answered - 20%. Good luck with that!

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

People on Reddit are saying pictures are not even of the starving Hungarians. It’s of Roma gypsies. Or Ukrainian dance group wearing traditional clothes.

I googled poor Roma gypsies and pictures similar to what Philip used popped up. Mahmo didn’t even google/use proper terms.

I would love to see him try to convert Roma!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This is what the Rod boys' future will look like in 5 years. Right outside the Barndo's front door.

image.png.979a08a1592f549177fc63a4f3e829b0.png

That looks like an upper class neighborhood compared to Rod Village.

I wonder how many Hungarians speak English?

20% says the Google.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
55 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Those poor uneducated, ham-strung, deprived children.

A lesser chance, I think. At least Tim has been learning how to fly. Philip will never learn to speak Hungarian. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Remember Phillip preaching on the 7 countries of the world? He has been taught the continents are countries. (Nurie went to South Africa, Africa per jill's post)

In Phillip's weirdly drawn chart of the 7 "countries" he had next to Europe "corrupt, hardened hearts and minds". So pictures of anyone in Europe are the same as Hungarians in his uneducated mind.

The only way Phillip will ever get to Hungary, Europe is some kind of week or two missions trip like Nurie and David went on to Africa.

Screenshot (208).png

Huh? Why are Europeans considered more corrupt than people on other continents?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The current political situation in Hungary is interesting. While Viktor Orban uses the Catholic Church to support his right-wing agenda, he may not be opposed to Protestant missionaries who openly support him. American evangelicals are fans of Orban, but overseas missionaries have to be careful about what they say and do.

A right-wing Hungarian dictatorship would probably suit Phillip just fine. It would remind him of life in the Rod compound except for the language and the food. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Huh? Why are Europeans considered more corrupt than people on other continents?

Catholicism.  Also, I suspect a bit of reverse racism, at least on Jill's part.  Europeans are mostly white, so they should know better and deserve to be saved first.

There is also the probability that, when polled, most fundies would rather visit Europe than other countries since many of their families originated there and it seems more familiar to them what with all the electricity and clean water and public transportation.  It's hard enough being 'burdened' to be a missionary; they're not martyrs, they need a TV and a refrigerator.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 9
25 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Catholicism.  Also, I suspect a bit of reverse racism, at least on Jill's part.  Europeans are mostly white, so they should know better and deserve to be saved first.

There is also the probability that, when polled, most fundies would rather visit Europe than other countries since many of their families originated there and it seems more familiar to them what with all the electricity and clean water and public transportation.  It's hard enough being 'burdened' to be a missionary; they're not martyrs, they need a TV and a refrigerator.

You’re probably right, but it still seems extreme to me that Europeans are considered more “corrupt and hardened” than others. Doesn’t the Philippines have a huge number of Catholics? Brazil? And what about Australia (do they know it’s both a continent and a country)? They have tvs and refrigerators there. and And I doubt Philip could clearly articulate the differences between Catholic and fundie doctrine in English, much less in a foreign language. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

phillip's list of the sins of the countries

America - sinful pleasures

Africa - perverted worship

Europe - corrupt, hardened hearts and minds

Asia - false gods

What about South America, Antarctica, and Australia? Philip would be surprised at how many “sinful pleasures” people of all continents engage in! 🤣

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 4
  • LOL 7
20 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

You’re probably right, but it still seems extreme to me that Europeans are considered more “corrupt and hardened” than others. Doesn’t the Philippines have a huge number of Catholics? Brazil? And I doubt Philip could clearly articulate the differences between Catholic and fundie doctrines in English, much less in a foreign language. 

There are also socialists and heathens in Europe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

You’re probably right, but it still seems extreme to me that Europeans are considered more “corrupt and hardened” than others. Doesn’t the Philippines have a huge number of Catholics? Brazil? And what about Australia (do they know it’s both a continent and a country)? They have tvs and refrigerators there. and And I doubt Philip could clearly articulate the differences between Catholic and fundie doctrine in English, much less in a foreign language. 

Sure they do but he got Hungary stuck in his head when he was a child. The Philippines also have a Muslim population. I would love to see him go try to convert them! 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

There are also socialists and heathens in Europe. 

And everywhere else. 

22 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Sure they do but he got Hungary stuck in his head when he was a child. The Philippines also have a Muslim population. I would love to see him go try to convert them! 

Or Mormons or Jews. Does he know anything about their belief systems?

• Like 3

My guess is that either the Rods, or more likely the likeminded preachers who keep inviting them to caterwaul at their "old fashioned" revivals, are aware that charges of corruption against the European Catholic church were one of the main causes of the reformation. I wouldn't expect them to have any idea what kind of corruption Luther and co were referring to and how that's changed in the past 500+ years, though. Europe also has a reputation for being a lot more atheist compared to the US Bible Belt (or at least less willing to entertain discussions about personal religious beliefs) which is probably also feeding in to Phillip's weird descriptions. 

Doesn't beat "Africa = perverted worship" on the fun with racism scale, though!

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

If any of these people really wanted to help anyone,while also seeing new places, they could join the Peace Corps. Or even Americorps, if they're afraid of landing in Danger America or something.  I doubt they'd last half a day, but, you get housing, a living stipend, health insurance, etc.  They give you language training if needed. You don't need to have gone to college.  Of course, you'd actually have to have a work ethic and learn to live with people from different cultures, so, yeah, they'd never be able to do it, but, there are ways to actually *help* people and, if not get "paid" for it, not have to pay yourself. It's actually a dream of mine to join the Peace Corps once my daughter has graduated and flown the nest.

Edited by Monkeyrocks
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6