Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I suppose the associates' degree from Massillon Bible is needed for the poorly homeschooled like the Rods.

I find it very telling that this organization offers stand-alone grammar courses, something I think most schools don't usually offer above middle-school level  unless they're working with non-native English speakers. I'm guessing they get badly homeschooled kids who need intervention for basic skills like subject-verb agreement. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

I saw on the application to Bible college you had to disclose your salvation story, apparently along with dates, etc etc. And recommendation from your pastor, I guess they don’t want any unsaved students who aren’t fluent in KJV biblespeak. Sounds perfect for BME so it will be interesting to see what she comes up with when Philly drops out.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Boston said:

$2000 a YEAR?? My friend's daughter is at BC - a whopping $73000 a year.  I just might go back to Phil's fraudulent college.

Yes, and your friend’s daughter is attending a real college/university. Unlike poor Philip. You get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The $2000 is buying him a certificate - 34 credits at $61 per credit. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a college tuition at less than $300 per credit. The "college" is maybe 4 buildings and the picture below is actually one they have on their website included in their campus photos.

image.png.adf09fb973d1465a5d214844684d8bea.png

So pitiful. 

26 minutes ago, Portia said:

I find it very telling that this organization offers stand-alone grammar courses, something I think most schools don't usually offer above middle-school level  unless they're working with non-native English speakers. I'm guessing they get badly homeschooled kids who need intervention for basic skills like subject-verb agreement. 

If Philip leaves the school with much better grammar skills, it will be worth the investment. 

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I saw on the application to Bible college you had to disclose your salvation story,

I'm not surprised.  I used to go to a mega-church and a friend of mine wanted to get a part time job in their bookstore.  Part of the interview process that to give her salvation story to the manager and entire staff.  She noped out of that.

What will BME's kids salvation story be?   He pet the dog too hard and had to go on a 48 hour prayer fast asking to be saved from such an agressive act?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
Just now, iwantcookies said:

Makeup and jewelry must be worn in moderation. 

ha Jilly bean would get kicked out just for that! 

Hope the tuition includes lunch. We all know bme will not be packing lunch or giving Philly lunch $ EVER.

No worries - school is in session from 8-12 pm only!

• LOL 6

Having read the description, I'm thinking Philly will be paying $2K for a certificate to show that he attended Bible study for a year.  He'd be better off with an associate's degree, assuming the place is accredited.  That might actually be useful to him (although if they do make him take English classes (and maybe math too), that will definitely help).

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Fosca said:

Having read the description, I'm thinking Philly will be paying $2K for a certificate to show that he attended Bible study for a year.  He'd be better off with an associate's degree, assuming the place is accredited.  That might actually be useful to him (although if they do make him take English classes (and maybe math too), that will definitely help).

It would probably take him 2-3 years to get an associate degree, with all the remedial courses he’d have to take. 

• LOL 1

I wonder what the Fundy parents do if God's timing of finding a mate interferes with school. Do they have the kids drop out for the semester, or forever? I'm guessing for some of them finding a mate is truly their first priority. Does it say anywhere how many students are enrolled?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder what the Fundy parents do if God's timing of finding a mate interferes with school. Do they have the kids drop out for the semester, or forever? I'm guessing for some of them finding a mate is truly their first priority. Does it say anywhere how many students are enrolled?

If girls find a mate while attending, they probably drop out. If boys do, they probably continue. Because you know when girls are courting/engaged, that takes up all of their time and energy! (See: Duggar daughters) 

I couldn’t bring myself to call them women and men, even though they would presumably be over 18.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

While I wouldn't go near an unaccredited sinkhole like this Bible college, it may be a good choice for Phillip. He will get two semesters of grammar and writing, the experience of being in a classroom taught by people more qualified than BME (low, low bar), and social contact with people outside his family. He won't be offended by the religious instruction, the values of the people around him, and the women's clothing. Tim went big and couldn't handle the change. Phil is taking baby steps.

I think Philly could find a wife here. He might even find someone who would marry Tim.  

The big problem is that the school costs money. Tuition is low, but there are books and a bunch of fees. The website is clear about costs, but Jill won't read it and always thinks her family should get a free ride anyway. 

@BigBingerBro , I'm sure Jill wrote Phil's salvation story for him. It was the longest and most dramatic story the school ever received. 

@Cinnabon, there's no reason to be concerned about remedial courses. All the courses will be remedial because the students who choose a school like this have the same general level of literacy as graduates of Rodrigues Home School Academy. I'd like to see the theses these students have to write to get a degree.

The best part is that grammar and writing course is taught by a nurse with a stern face. It sounds like a thankless job, but maybe she smacks their hands will a ruler when they use random capital letters. 

Edited by BradandJanet
typo and more
  • LOL 8
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

It would probably take him 2-3 years to get an associate degree, with all the remedial courses he’d have to take. 

You are very optimistic. It would take him AT LEAST 4 years to get AA from an accredited college. Timbro who I think is golden penis #1 could not hack it. Neither will Philly boy.

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

While I wouldn't go near an uncredited sinkhole like this Bible college, it may be a good choice for Phillip. He will get two semesters of grammar and writing, the experience of being in a classroom taught by people more qualified than BME (low, low bar), and social contact with people outside his family. He won't be offended by the religious instruction, the values of the people around him, and the women's clothing. Tim went big and couldn't handle the change. Phil is taking baby steps.

I think Philly could find a wife here. He might even find someone who would marry Tim.  

The big problem is that the school costs money. Tuition is low, but there are books and a bunch of fees. The website is clear about costs, but Jill won't read it and always thinks her family should get a free ride anyway. 

@BigBingerBro , I'm sure Jill wrote Phil's salvation story for him. It was the longest and most dramatic story the school ever received. 

@Cinnabon, there's no reason to be concerned about remedial courses. All the courses will be remedial because the students who choose a school like have the same general level of literacy as graduates of Rodrigues Home School Academy. I'd like to see the theses these student have to write to graduate.

The best part is that grammar and writing course is taught by a nurse with a stern face. It sounds like a thankless job, but maybe she smacks their hands will a ruler when they use random capital letters. 

I meant he would have to take lots of remedial courses if he pursued an associates degree at a real college. But I agree that if he gets instruction at the bible school in grammar, spelling, and writing that the tuition will have been money well spent. I bet Jill grifts the money needed for books, etc.

I’m not sure this school will break him of the Random Capitalization habit. Unfortunately, I see many of their ilk online who engage in that constantly. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Boston said:

Isn't that a 'dirty word' on the building.. I'll step out now.

OMG I didn’t even notice it. Maybe it’s a special building where all the horny boys go to relieve themselves 🤣.

Out of prying eyes of the parents the boys can freely take care of their needs…

I shall see you all in the prayer closet with waffles, donuts, pancakes etc and mimosas for a delicious brunch 🤤

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Was it ivory cream by any chance? Or what does she call it. Why is my mind in the gutter today? Help lolz! 

My Dog this wacko Jilldo keeps me laughing daily. 

Gutter ivory cream is free, so that's what Jill uses. 

Barely any makeup in that photo? What about filters, Jilldo? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

87567603-2659-4061-8295-90C7668F9BB1.jpeg

I recognized the name "Decker" from Phillip's school web site.  I'm guessing the guy on the left in Jill's picture is a son of the school's Dean of Students (below).  Might mean nothing, might mean the Rods had help getting Philly admitted, or it might just mean I spent too much time looking at that school's site and too much time thinking about the Rods!  🤣

image.thumb.png.91430f5fe260da8676c1c88975bc5ed6.png

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

I recognized the name "Decker" from Phillip's school web site.  I'm guessing the guy on the left in Jill's picture is a son of the school's Dean of Students (below).  Might mean nothing, might mean the Rods had help getting Philly admitted, or it might just mean I spent too much time looking at that school's site and too much time thinking about the Rods!  🤣

image.thumb.png.91430f5fe260da8676c1c88975bc5ed6.png

Yeah, Ed Decker seems totally qualified to be the Dean. 🙄

• LOL 13

Question: In Philip's graduation picture did someone use Paint or Printshop to smooth out and lighten the natural grey color of his face? I see this thing a lot in BME's photos.

Also, I checked my college for certificate prices. It costs $6982, plus fees and books, to get a Web Design Intermediate Certificate if you do it in 1 year, which would be 15 credits/5 classes a semester. In addition to 7 web design classes, 1 class each in Communication, Mathematics, and Social Science is required. A lot of homeschooled students and non-traditional students get this certificate because it can be done entirely online. A full-time semester (10-19 credits) is $3491, per credit is $356 and applies to any semester credits under 9 or over 20. 

Of course, Philip would have to have so many remedial classes to pass that his certificate would end up costing as much as an associate or bachelor degree by the time he managed to finish.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

This college is perfect for Jill to keep her tight hold of "Philly". She'll probably drive him there and pick him up. And since they know the dean, they probably grifted the tuition. 

As far as working, have we ever seen Philly do anything but attempt to preach? 

I'm thinking between BME and Phillip's ineptitude, it's going to be a massive failure.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

I’m still trying to figure out what Jr. Church is. 

Junior Church is usually called Children's Church. A lot of churches send the elementary aged children off after the song service to have their own group session with lessons, activities, and snacks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok, I don't understand.  The shoulder seam is no where near his shoulders but the sleeve length doesn't seem to be to long.  Now he has lots of material in the sleeve but that's because..JILL NEEDS TO FEED HER CHILDREN.  Why isn't the sleeve to long? If the shoulder seam was in the correct place the cuff would be higher up his arm, more like a 3 quarter length sleeve. 

He is in a regular size (not his size) shirt from a thrift store or sweet friend.  He needs to be wearing a Tall small, Tall medium, or a slim cut shirt.  I figured this out early on with my slim-build son; they have arm length, but are skinny.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
Just now, luvbadtv said:

He is in a regular size (not his size) shirt from a thrift store or sweet friend.  He needs to be wearing a Tall small, Tall medium, or a slim cut shirt.  I figured this out early on with my slim-build son; they have arm length, but are skinny.

I'm not sure Phil is lanky though - the cuffs of his sleeves are folded over.

image.png.291ea1144344e88a857148a0cda47256.png

Did JillR remove Phil's senior pics from FB?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

While I wouldn't go near an unaccredited sinkhole like this Bible college, it may be a good choice for Phillip. He will get two semesters of grammar and writing, the experience of being in a classroom taught by people more qualified than BME (low, low bar), and social contact with people outside his family. He won't be offended by the religious instruction, the values of the people around him, and the women's clothing. Tim went big and couldn't handle the change. Phil is taking baby steps.

Whatever was the reason for Timmy coming home will not be repeated with the other boys. Jill will have Phillip living at home where she can interrogate him each and every night about what he is being taught, his social interactions and every detail about his place of employment.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Sad 1

Or any hussy that tries to lure Philip from bme clutches.

6 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Sadly whatever was the reason for Timmy coming home will not be repeated with the other boys. Jill will have Phillip living at home where she can interrogate him each and every night about what he is being taught, his social interactions and every detail about his place of employment.

I'm interested in the requirement of a HS diploma or GED. The Rod kids get neither. It does say that you can meet with the Dean, I imagine to discuss alternatives. This is likely the reason Jill and GWE met with Ed. Will Phillip have to take the remedial writing course and some other additional classes on top of what's required for his certificate? 

Or is he doing the 4 year missions program and be required to take writing as part of the curriculum?

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

So it’s basically Sunday school?

Most of these churches will have both Sunday School and children's church.  The programs have some similarities, but really are different.  Sunday School usually uses a curriculum to cover the Bible and church beliefs in a progressive, organized manner.  The students are usually divided by age or grade level into one to two year groups.  

Children's church usually follows the adult lessons and is a simplified child appropriate and shorter lesson.  It's a less structured program than Sunday School and covers a wider age range (sometimes 2 to 8) and usually includes a picture to color or art project that matches the day's lesson.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure Phil is lanky though - the cuffs of his sleeves are folded over.

image.png.291ea1144344e88a857148a0cda47256.png

Did JillR remove Phil's senior pics from FB?

No, still there. 
I need to charge my phone! 😂🤣

C54836AC-86BB-4BA3-BCC6-20D6EE4774E4.jpeg

• Useful 1
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I'm interested in the requirement of a HS diploma or GED. The Rod kids don't get either. It does say that you can meet with the Dean, I imagine to discuss alternatives. This is likely the reason Jill and GWE met with Ed. Will Phillip have to take the remedial writing course and some other additional classes on top of what's required for his certificate? 

Or is he doing the 4 year missions program and be required to take writing as part of the curriculum?

These are good questions. The certificate doesn't lead anywhere except self-enrichment, so Phillip is probably interested in the full program.  However, I hope he realizes that it requires 96 hours of instruction, a thesis (!), and a comprehensive exam. With all that, it doesn't appear to result in an actual degree. The handbook says that the program prepares students to go to candidate schools to become missionaries. That's more time and a lot more money.

I cannot see this happening for poor Phil. He's going to end up bunking with Tim, working small jobs, and hoping to get invited to the Barndo for a bowl of beige slop once in a while. He will probably end up working in a small church no too far away, trying to support his wife and growing family. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Sad 1

random thought - since Phillip chose 17yr old Sammers to accompany him on the senior trip to canton that possibly included a bible college tour, I am wondering if Jill pitched it to both boys. Live at home, local job to pay etc. she is hell bent on keeping them all under her control in her beloved amish country

• Love 7

Those poor kids operate on a 5-6th grade level maybe and Jill had to meet with the head of the school to convince him that they are the "right" kind of christian to enter their hallowed halls, educational level be damned.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Those poor kids operate on a 5-6th grade level maybe and Jill had to meet with the head of the school to convince him that they are the "right" kind of christian to enter their hallowed halls, educational level be damned.

I wonder how many parent meetings like this the Dean gets every year? These KJV only types don't seem to even respect Christian curriculum like Abeka to educate their kids. Probably because it's more expensive than the  workbooks that Jill favors.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4