Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill is a smart enough grifter to know that you have to report to the IRS what someone else is also reporting.  The pass-the-plate love offerings, gofundme and property they acquire along the way would not be reported.  

Right. But on the Rodrigui website, they do tell people to send checks to them through that "clearing house." ..... (well, as one of the options....) 

So what I'm saying is that if they actually do get any checks through that clearing house, then it seems pretty clear that they would have to report that.....

Because that organization looks to be specifically set up to make the missionary donations that flow through it reportable income, so that people can count it among their tax deductions. In fact, both the clearing house AND the Rodrigui's web site say that explicitly. And I expect that that means that the clearing house has to report to the IRS as well....

Here's what the Rodrigui website says -- 

"To support our family via a one-time payment through PayPal, please use the following link:

"[Paypal Link.]

"*Please note, if you make a donation in this manner, a tax deductible receipt will not be provided.  If you would like to make a donation and receive a tax deductible receipt, please donate through Central Missionary Clearinghouse.  (Information below)

"Send Monthly Financial Support to:  

"Central Missionary Clearinghouse

"P.O. Box 219228

"Houston, Texas    77218-9228

"CMC Phone # (281)599-7411

"Make Checks payable to:  Central Missionary Clearinghouse

"For a tax deductible receipt donate here: 

"[Link to the Central Missionary Clearinghouse]"

https://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?page_id=1697

https://www.myclickandgive.com/login.php

So while there's no way to know how much money they get through this channel .... and while I'm sure they encourage other donation channels more.... it's very likely they do get some money through this channel, since many many churches apparently prefer to run their money-for-missionaries (including independent missionaries) through the clearing house (for obvious reasons.) 

That's all I'm saying. This one source of money is clearly reportable.....Of course I'm sure they try to keep that source as little-used as possible. But that's not entirely in their control, since some donors almost certainly insist on using it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

That's all I'm saying. This one source of money is clearly reportable.....Of course I'm sure they try to keep that source as little-used as possible. But that's not entirely in their control, since some donors almost certainly insist on using it. 

Reportable income doesn't equate to earned income.  The earned income tax credit comes from wages earned not donations, interest, gifts, etc.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

I took algebra in junior high, and I took AP Calculus BC in 11th grade, so I was advanced in math, but my high school did offer an advanced algebra class (aka Algebra 2) which I took in 10th grade. So it's not far-fetched to take algebra beyond 9th grade. 

That said, he most likely is taking the middle school equivalent as an 11th grader. At least he took the initiative to work on it on his own. I don't know much about Phil, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was more intelligent than his mother or Shrek and would have been able to handle more advanced math had he had the educational opportunities.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I took algebra in junior high, and I took AP Calculus BC in 11th grade, so I was advanced in math, but my high school did offer an advanced algebra class (aka Algebra 2) which I took in 10th grade. So it's not far-fetched to take algebra beyond 9th grade. 

That said, he most likely is taking the middle school equivalent as an 11th grader. At least he took the initiative to work on it on his own. I don't know much about Phil, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was more intelligent than his mother or Shrek and would have been able to handle more advanced math had he had the educational opportunities.

I wonder if Phil has seen his older brother struggling with math in his quest to become a missionary pilot, and is now playing catch up.  Or as they are now in Ohio a state with stricter homeschooling rules than West Virginia and he has to complete this course in order to graduate.  I know when I graduated high school last century, all public school teens had to pass Algebra II in order to graduate.  

• Love 10
(edited)
26 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm not going to pick on  17 year old studying Algebra, at least he is studying.  Let's face it, he most likely will never see the inside of a university

I don't think anyone is picking on him so much as on his shitty parents. It's not his fault that they have so inadequately educated him, but he is the one who will suffer because of their negligence. That's all on Jill and David, not on him, and I think that is what everyone here is frustrated with. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

Well, that and the fact his idiot mother is so tone deaf that she thinks her picture someone proves something. Again, not his fault but he and his siblings are the one who suffer for it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, Absolom said:

Reportable income doesn't equate to earned income.  The earned income tax credit comes from wages earned not donations, interest, gifts, etc.

Yeah, of course you're probably right. I was using the word "income" loosely -- I meant "earnings." I veered from the EITC question to just thinking about whether they have to file tax forms of any kind at all -- and whether, if they brought in a lot of donations, whether it'd just all be tax free becuz.......So...Is that true, and if it is, becuz what is what I'd like to know...

.I mean, I assume you do have to report at least some money you have coming in....when you're getting money in from some outside source as a kind of remuneration for something  you do...And where the Rods are concerned he website name and much of what they say basically asks for support for them as missionaries serving Jesus (and, often, serving your church with tracts and music and preaching...) ---

They don't just stay home and ask for gifts -- They go to your church or send you tracts. And they at least imply that, because they do that, they're asking for financial support for their work as missionaries serving Jesus, some of which goes through a clearinghouse that certainly reports the donations it collects to the IRS. The Rods don't say something like, "We're sick and starving so please give us gifts out of the charity of your heart"...i.e., They don't put it in terms that we know classify the money as gifts rather than earnings....

I realize I'm being naive (in some way or other) about missionary earnings.....I don't know how they work at all...... Does the government not consider those donations any kind of earnings that fall under the tax code at all? As a missionary, does nothing you get count as earnings that the government will think about, even if the feds obviously know that you got it? I find that very hard to believe. 

A search of IRS for "missionary" doesn't turn anything up for me....I have no idea into what employment category they fall and what that might mean for their taxes, etc....   

So, that being the case, does something like this IRS thing about ministers apply or not apply to missionaries? It seems like it should, since it's church-related and includes some of the same kinds of money -- "offerings."    --   "Regardless of whether you're a minister performing ministerial services as an employee or a self-employed person, all of your earnings, including wages, offerings, and fees you receive for performing marriages, baptisms, funerals, etc., are subject to income tax."      from Topic No. 417 Earnings for Clergy

I guess missionaries don't count as "clergy"?  But do we know that's true? And if they don't, then what DO they count as, for government purposes? ...

I mean, say I'm part of some non-profit-making religion-based charitable group that prays for people's spiriitual and physical health, and some of the charitable donations that come in to my group pay my living expenses, then I personally owe taxes on that part of the charitable gift....There must be something comparable for missionaries, I would think? 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417

EMLTA: 

So....some people who purport to be tax experts think that "donations" to a missionary are the same as the "offerings" give to clergy that are mentioned above and that, therefore, they do count as potentially taxable income under certain conditions.

So if that's true, I assume something like this theoretically applies to money the Rods get that's reported by the clearinghouse to the IRS.....But of course since they have 13 kids, that family size is going to pretty much swamp your tax liability and earnings, I suppose....

"Gifts: Missionaries often receive donations from congregation members to help them go abroad and spread the faith. Depending on the purpose of the donations, missionaries might have to include them in taxable income. Generally, if the donation is restricted to a specific purpose, such as buying religious texts to distribute, then the donation is a gift. When the missionary has sole discretion over the use of the funds, however, it counts as income."

https://budgeting.thenest.com/file-taxes-missionary-31722.html

Meanwhile other people say stuff that may mean that the clearinghouse money does have to be considered earnings by the Rods.....But that confuses me even more.....For example -- 

"RULE #1--DIRECT GIFTS TO MISSIONARIES Church members sometimes send a check directly to a missionary. Occasionally an interested person will even give a missionary an item of property, such as a car, a home, or an item of jewelry. These gifts are not tax-deductible by the donor as charitable contributions." (So far I understand this. And Jill is very happy about it, too.)

THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH IS WHERE I GET CONFUSED....THE CLEARINGHOUSE AND THE RODRIGUI'S WEBSITE SAY THAT DONATIONS THAT GO THROUGH THE CLEARINGHOUSE ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE...

.(From the Rod's Website --"If you would like to make a donation and receive a tax deductible receipt, please donate through Central Missionary Clearinghouse.  (Information below"  ) SO THE CLEARINGHOUSE MUST COUNT AS A "MISSIONS AGENCY." ...

"To be tax-deductible, a charitable contribution must be to or for the use of an organization the IRS has recognized as tax-exempt. AND THE CLEARINGHOUSE IS TAX-EXEMPT _- CENTRAL MISSIONARY CLEARINGHOUSE INC     HOUSTON, TX 77218-9228 | TAX-EXEMPT SINCE DEC. 1977     EIN: 51-0138300      Nonprofit Tax Code Designation: 501(c)(3)    Donations to this organization are tax deductible. AND THE ONLY THING THIS ORGANIZATION DOES WITH THE MONEY IT GETS IS TO PASS IT THROUGH TO MISSIONARIES.....SO that suggests to me that the IRS would consider the money the Rods get through this group as potentially taxable for them......But maybe I'm missing something? 

SO WHAT I SORT OF CONCLUDE FROM THE ABOVE IS THAT THEY DO HAVE TO REPORT ANY "SUPPORT" THAT COMES THROUGH THAT CLEARINGHOUSE AND THAT, DEPENDING ON THEIR FINANCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, IT MAY BE TAXABLE FOR THEM -- since it's a "missions agency" that collects money in the form of tax-deductible donations -- .. AM I MISSING SOMETHING THAT MAKES THAT NOT TRUE? ....

Meanwhile, the money they collect on their own can be counted as gifts -- (But this source adds that if the IRS thinks that the donors are actually paying you for something you do/did for them, then the tax man can argue that your collections are not gifts but a form of payment on the downlow, and thus taxable for you. )

As I said, I'm confused here. 

https://thecentermsu.org/uploads/editor/files/Resources/Handling_Contributions_for_Specific_Missionaries.pdf

Meanwhile, other people put all their no doubt definitive advice regarding this behind paywalls. lol 

https://missionexus.org/us-income-tax-for-missionaries-wow-things-changed-what-should-we-do/#myaccount

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I totally agree. This post makes me sad and angry on Philip’s behalf, which I’m sure is the opposite of Jill’s intent. But that’s true of every post she makes about her kids. Or really, any post she makes...

I also took algebra at 12 years old, but that is to say that I was TAUGHT algebra (and all other subjects!) by a licensed teacher, surrounded by peers, and supported by an entire school system and my parents. After a lifetime of the same proper teaching by proper teachers and with proper support. Teaching yourself algebra with nobody to help you, not even classmates, and having NEVER really been taught any math (or anything else)...

I was always good at math and, actually, am now an accountant and still use it every day. But trying to learn algebra in those conditions would be a nightmare and I don’t know if I could have done it.

Major credit to Philip for pushing himself to learn something abstract and difficult under those circumstances, and in a family where thinking, learning, and trying to better yourself isn’t valued (and might even be considered rebellious).

I know CPS can’t do a thing about this, but the way these kids are denied an education is yet another reason that I think they’d be better off even in a group home. Like I’ve said before, even juvy has three squares a day and classes. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe he also studies his algebra math while seeing his pediatrician doctor.

I seem to recall Jill phrasing one of her consultations for Janessa as going to see "the neurologist doctor." This reminds me of the way many of my slower ninth grader students get confused between nouns and adjectives when we do vocabulary. I've gotten sentences about "ingrate people, " etc., but none of my students have ever turned algebra into "algebra math." And of course none of them are in charge of educating anyone else... 

• Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, of course you're right. I was using the word "income" loosely -- I meant "earnings." I veered from the EITC question to just thinking about whether they have to file tax forms of any kind at all -- and whether, if they brought in a lot of donations, whether it'd just all be tax free becuz.......So becuz what is what I'd like to know....

But I realize I'm being naive (in some way or other) about missionary earnings.....I don't know how they work at all.....Like, here, especially, is how  Does the government not consider those donations any kind of earnings that fall under the tax code at all? As a missionary, does nothing you get count as earnings that the government will think about, even if the feds obviously know that you got it? 

A search of IRS for "missionary" doesn't turn anything up for me....I have no idea into what employment category they fall and what that might mean for their taxes, etc....   

So, that being the case, does something like this IRS thing about ministers not apply to missionaries?"Regardless of whether you're a minister performing ministerial services as an employee or a self-employed person, all of your earnings, including wages, offerings, and fees you receive for performing marriages, baptisms, funerals, etc., are subject to income tax."      from Topic No. 417 Earnings for Clergy

I know they don't count as "clergy." But what DO they count as, for government purposes? 

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417

They probably get 1099s (rather than W2s) from any organizations that give them money regularly or significant money, and they probably declare their income on Schedule C on their personal income taxes (like Uber drivers do, for example). That’s earned income and would make them eligible for the EITC, I believe.

*This is off the top of my head, so if anyone knows better, I’m all ears! 🙂

Edited by rue721
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I wonder if Phil has seen his older brother struggling with math in his quest to become a missionary pilot, and is now playing catch up.  Or as they are now in Ohio a state with stricter homeschooling rules than West Virginia and he has to complete this course in order to graduate.  I know when I graduated high school last century, all public school teens had to pass Algebra II in order to graduate.  

I wondered that about him seeing Tim as well. 

Ohio does have subject-matter requirements. But they're very very general -- So I doesn't seem there's any requirement t to teach any specific math courses....They probably assume that 900 instructional hours per year will get you to algebra at a reasonable time. 

Here's what the state says. As a homeschooling parent, you have to attest to this -- "Confirmation that you will provide a minimum of 900 hours of instruction that must include the following subjects: 

"Language, reading, spelling and writing;; Geography; history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government; Mathematics; Science; Health; Physical education; Fine arts, including music; and First aid, safety and fire prevention"

"You are not required to include any concept, topic or practice that conflicts with sincerely held religious belief of you or your family."

This is what you have to have as a parent who's teaching: -- 

"To provide home school instruction, you, or the person providing instruction, must have one of the following qualifications:   "A high school diploma; The certificate of high school equivalence (GED); Standardized test scores that demonstrate high school equivalence; or Another equivalent credential found appropriate by the district superintendent."

Parents have to hand in annual assessments of what their students have learned and how well they learned it. You can do this in narrative form. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

"Language, reading, spelling and writing;; Geography; history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state and local government; Mathematics; Science; Health; Physical education; Fine arts, including music; and First aid, safety and fire prevention"

"You are not required to include any concept, topic or practice that conflicts with sincerely held religious belief of you or your family."

The religious disclaimer apparently excludes the Rods from having to teach spelling, writing, science, health, phys ed, sculpture, painting, theater, safety, and fire prevention. That leaves a lot of time to read the bible. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 1

I'm so excited for Sarah Mally's wedding tomorrow. She is the author of Before You Meet Prince Charming and she is getting married at age 40/41. The groom's name is Andrew Hancock. 

She is having a small private ceremony that will be livestreamed for guests. They're hoping to have a bigger reception later on. I actually hope they're able to have a big reception later on. 

I'm hoping to see the wedding livestreamed, but I'm not sure they will make it public. They have a youtube channel with videos about their wedding, so there's hope. The ceremony is going to start at 2pm.  If I'm able to watch it, I'll post about it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I feel sorry for Phillip in this situation.  I HATED all sort of math growing up, from basic math through Algebra. My dad LOVED it and could not understand why I didn't get it.  After years I finally had a teacher that help it click for me.  I still hated it, but at least I was able to understand it enough to pass.  I do feel sorry for Phillip because I cannot imagine trying to figure Algebra out without having someone to explain it to me in a way he could understand.  There is no way Jill or Shrek would ever be able to help him understand it. Or it could be like my dad and Jill and Shrek would just not understand why it doesn't click for him. 

• Love 4

I hope Phillip is studying and learning. It's the best thing he can do for himself. However, that photo looks staged, starting with the books on display (English grammar!). And why is Jill wandering around the house with her camera at 11:00 p.m. looking for a missing seventeen-year-old who would not dare go out by himself? HolyJilly is not known for her truthfulness or accuracy, so we are left to speculate.  

I do like the flame shooting out of his little finger though. That's very Old Testament. 

The wedding cake in Jill's photo is covered with fondant (as is the one in @GeeGolly's excellent Cake Wreck photo). That's nice for appearance if done well but not so good for eating. There's no way an expensive professional cake is making it to Nurie's wedding anyway. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

They don't put it in terms that we know classify the money as gifts rather than earnings....

I think what goes through the clearinghouse would be on a 1099 to be reported as income, but donations not earnings. There has to be either an employer/employee relationship for earnings or a bona fide business entity with proper paperwork for self-employed earnings. I could be wrong, but I used to work in the world of determining if something was earnings in the US government sense of the word. 

The donations reported would be taxable income no matter what unless somehow Jill and David incorporated themselves as a non-profit and could justify feeding their children and such as legitimate non-profit expenses.  I don't see that one happening since they use a clearinghouse to give them cover.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I hope Phillip is studying and learning. It's the best thing he can do for himself. However, that photo looks staged, starting with the books on display (English grammar!). And why is Jill wandering around the house with her camera at 11:00 p.m. looking for a missing seventeen-year-old who would not dare go out by himself? HolyJilly is not known for her truthfulness or accuracy, so we are left to speculate. 

who appears to be sitting next to a bed with a stuffed animal on it.

their house only has what 4 rooms?

ETA - Phillip appears to be in his bedroom based on the boys bedroom before and after pics. wonder where else she looked for him or thought he might be at 11pm

82422569_167378157892246_1523628225098824065_n.jpg

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 2
(edited)

IIRC, Phillip wants to be a preacher. No algebra needed. I doubt he will be taking any more math beyond "algebra math." Jill takes her "graduates" to a homeschooling ceremony, but she has never mentioned GEDs or any testing to demonstrate high school knowledge. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
8 hours ago, crazy8s said:

he is 16 - birth date July 22, 2003

My son is about a month older than him, and he’s finishing up Calculus this year. So, yeah, Philip is no math genius. 

• Love 2

Does it matter whether or not the Rods' income is taxable? I doubt they pull in much more than $10,000 a year in reportable income. How much of a return could they get from that?

• Love 2
(edited)

@Temperance and any others interested in viewing Sarah Mally's nuptials...you have to request an invite to watch the stream. They want your email address and name. I tried. I guess I now have to wait and see what happens since they don't know me from Adam. I have  concocted a story about my daughter attending a Bright Lights conference if they ask. 😁

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If JillR is unable to grift a cake maybe rene can help her make this. 😉🤣

5471fbe06d97680742f3b3ae17d5dcec.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what she's going to get, only with a lot of sprinkles or edible glitter added to make it speshul for Jill.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Does it matter whether or not the Rods' income is taxable? I doubt they pull in much more than $10,000 a year in reportable income. How much of a return could they get from that?

As long as they have $1 in earned income, they can receive earned income credit for their children. 

I didn't pay any income taxes last year, but I still get to claim my disabled adult son as a dependent, which allowed me to qualify for EIC. 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Temperance and any others interested in viewing Sarah Mally's nuptials...you have to request an invite to watch the stream. They want your email address and name. I tried. I guess I now have to wait and see what happens since they don't know me from Adam. I have  concocted a story about my daughter attending a Bright Lights conference if they ask. 😁

I'm not sure of that. It sounds to me like that there will just be email reminder for the wedding or they will email the link to the tech-challenged. I could be wrong though. I'll try to watch without giving them my name.  If I'm not able, it's not a big deal.  It's possible to it will be posted youtube after the ceremony. Considering they made all those youtube videos public, I don't think they're too worried about privacy. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I do like the flame shooting out of his little finger though. That's very Old Testament. 

The wedding cake in Jill's photo is covered with fondant (as is the one in @GeeGolly's excellent Cake Wreck photo). That's nice for appearance if done well but not so good for eating. There's no way an expensive professional cake is making it to Nurie's wedding anyway. 

How cool would  it have been if his hand was lined up to have the flame shoot out of his middle finger? "FO, Mom!"

I do hope he was actually studying with a view toward mastering the material better than his brother had. I'd actually admire that in this family. I was always horrible at math, and though I had to take algebra I, II, and Geometry in high school, I did not do well with them, and none of the material stuck. I didn't have to take a lot of math in college - I had one statistics course which tied into my degree, and had to take one other, when I came up short some math credits in my senior year, but was able to take, basically, a remedial math/basic algebra course to make them up. I took it over the summer, so had no other classes to distract me, and though I struggled with it, I did think it all sort of came together by the time I took the final. But I suppose it didn't, because I still ended up passing with a D-. I do have a fairly good ability to estimate things, but actual calculation beyond the basics still throws me. I can't even imagine trying to put the material together from textbooks, which I can well imagine they would have to, as I don't see Jill having that much of a natural grasp of math enough to teach it effectively.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In our area we did pre-algebra in 8th grade, algebra in 9th and were required to take at least two more years of math.

I had always gone to Catholic school where math was just math. So when I got to high school, I took pre-algebra. Turns out it was the same thing I was learning in middle school. Easy A.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

• Love 4

Thanks for the link. I got my email, so I was in regardless. I love a good fundie wedding, but I haven't seen a live one since John Maxwell/Chelsy Botranger. That was the one in which Stevehovah took the stage and praised his vasectomy reversal. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

They can't have more than ten in the church so the bridal party is rotating in from the parish hall!!!!! 🙄

I don't think that was the intention of the limit of ten.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Every church I've ever belonged to is probably too liberal for these people, but all of them would have read at least one passages from the bible by now. Harold Mally is really a burden to listen to. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm zoning out Pa Mally. At least he's just boring, nothing like Steve Maxwell.

Sarah's dress is fundie c.2010. Not a fan of the beaded t-shirt bodice.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2