Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I agree and also that there are exceptions.  I am 12 years older than Mr. lookeyloo.  He was in his mid 20s when we met.  It was 3 years before we got married.  It's going on 35 years.  It is possible, although not the norm.  His parents were none too thrilled, but I was "mature" enough to understand and gave them time to come around, and they did.  

I'm 10 years older than Mr Ariel.  We've been married for 20 years.  His mum clutched her pearls &  thought the earth would explode, but it didn't.   All is well. 

I wonder how the Duggars would feel if Jana wanted to marry a man 10 years younger?

Edited by ariel
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, ariel said:

I'm 10 years older than Mr Ariel.  We've been married for 20 years.  His mum clutched her pearls &  thought the earth would explode, but it didn't.   All is well. 

I wonder how the Duggars would feel if Jana wanted to marry a man 10 years younger?

My guess is they would lock her in the tower til the dude left town!!!! 

• Love 2

Wait...I knew Chad's father was a doctor.  But I didn't realize that he was an Ob/Gyn!  If this is true, how does he do his job?  Men aren't supposed to see a woman's lady parts unless it's his wife, right?  And what about handing out birth control or inserting an IUD?  All things that are supposedly no nos...and isn't he high up in Gothard circles?  

• Love 2
(edited)

Don't forget that Dr. Paine is the asshole who told a young woman to "have a protein bar" after confiding to him that she'd been abused by Gothard. 

There is either a hearing or the trial this month. Can't wait to see Peres Paine and Bates come tumbling down.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, awaken said:

that'll be interesting to see what comes out at the trials...

Perhaps the rush to marry Tabitha off? See, we sold off our daughter to a formerly registered offender, because we believe in forgiveness... heaven forbid, any young lady who so much as kissed a guy would be shunned as damaged goods in their circle, but they can't see how messed up this is????

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Perhaps the rush to marry Tabitha off? See, we sold off our daughter to a formerly registered offender, because we believe in forgiveness... heaven forbid, any young lady who so much as kissed a guy would be shunned as damaged goods in their circle, but they can't see how messed up this is????

I'm hoping for Tabitha's sake that her fiance was a drunken fool. Don't get me wrong rape is wrong under any circumstance. I'm just saying maybe the dude is different now. Like I said, I hope for Tabitha's sake he is.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If that was the case (that the man is different now), his reaction to people bringing up the rape would be about how what he did was awful, he sorry for the hurt he caused the woman; since then he has been changed through god. Not about how she was a stripper and he really didn't do anything wrong. 

Nor would he lose his shit If ladies in his Bible study group wanted cake instead of ice cream, or any other differing opinion.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

If that was the case (that the man is different now), his reaction to people bringing up the rape would be about how what he did was awful, he sorry for the hurt he caused the woman; since then he has been changed through god. Not about how she was a stripper and he really didn't do anything wrong. 

Don't forget the "if her boyfriend hadn't left us alone, nothing would have happened" portion of the defense. (Oh, so you're just a coward AND an opportunist, then.  Good to know!!)

• Love 15
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

Don't forget the "if her boyfriend hadn't left us alone, nothing would have happened" portion of the defense. (Oh, so you're just a coward AND an opportunist, then.  Good to know!!)

Oh my, it's a wonder my headship lets me out of the house. He must not yet have me under proper control, nor have the right safeguards in place. 

• Love 4

Was watching BUTB yesterday and it was the episode that Tori and Bobby are officially courting. So was he a non fundie that she knew from school and he decided to ask her to court with the intention of eventually proposing?

Nah, he's fundie, just not Gothard. He attends PCC, which I don't think any non-fundie would voluntarily do. His roommate was a friend of the Bateses from TN. That guy set up the two. 

35 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Nah, he's fundie, just not Gothard. He attends PCC, which I don't think any non-fundie would voluntarily do. His roommate was a friend of the Bateses from TN. That guy set up the two. 

He seems so normal, Tori was hanging all over him while they were at mini golf.

Even among fundies and ultra-conservatives, there is a range of belief and just how conservative they are.  Plus not everyone who attends PCC stays that conservative and some attend because it's the only choice their parents will allow/pay for them to attend.

• Love 4

That's why I allowed the "voluntarily" to my post. :) I know a lot of those kids are there pretty much under duress, but Bobby doesn't seem to be one of them. He was just raised a bit less strictly than the Bates clan, more like Jeremy's upbringing, which was fundie, but he was allowed much more freedom than Duggar or Bates kids/kidults.

oh ok thanks. my son just graduated from a christian university, and though i know they had certain rules to follow, i never got the feeling that it was super restrictive for him.  it is well thought of in my area and has some good sports associated with it.  no comparison to some of the schools i have heard of with regard to the fundy school 'system'. 

(edited)

Jilly Rod has posted another bsalty screed on the family page. You've been warned. Read it if you dare. 

All about places she believes should be boycotted. I just posted it for info /amusement for the morbidly curious among you. Let's not get too deep in the weeds over it, lest we run afoul of the rules.

Their DONATE button is smaller than the Dillydumdums.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Just not firing the synapses.
  • Love 3
(edited)

JillR states that if you live a godly life, you will show others their apathetic and sinful lives and nudge them to god! Oh Jill! You just try too hard.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 1

The one on the blog? She is such an idiot. I live in the second "bluest" congressional district in the country (only Harlem is more liberal), yet I've seen no pictures of Trump in the local Starbucks for people to "stomp on." 

Where does she find this stuff? 

• Love 6
On 3/3/2017 at 7:05 PM, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know the stats on Fundy families with marrying off their kids? The Bates have 1 son & 3 daughters married and a 4th daughter engaged. The Duggars have 1 son & 3 daughters married and a 4th daughter engaged. Is it typical for the daughters to marry first?

So MEChelle and Kelly, now in this new season of life, have abandoned the number of babies competition for how many kids can we marry off competition?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The one on the blog? She is such an idiot. I live in the second "bluest" congressional district in the country (only Harlem is more liberal), yet I've seen no pictures of Trump in the local Starbucks for people to "stomp on." 

She absolutely made that up. There's no way in hell that could ever occur even once someplace without somebody putting it on YouTube and having it go viral. Sounds like her alleged encounter with a trans man in an IHOP ladies room: just too dramatic and too convenient for the narrative she's pushing to be real. The only part of that story I believed was that she and her husband were stuffing their faces in a restaurant while their half-starved children waited back in the RV.

• Love 15
(edited)
10 hours ago, louannems said:

JillR states that if you live a godly life, you will show others their apathetic and sinful lives and nudge them to god! Oh Jill! You just try too hard.

Oh, Jill R, if only there were something my apathetic and sinful self could show you that would open your eyes to the horror and cruelty of your childrearing practices and nudge you to raise your poor abused children the way I -- and, I expect, god -- would like you to. 

Edited by Churchhoney
because I do believe in the subjunctive mood, I do I do I do
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I was just at the original Starbucks on Pike Street in Seattle. No Trump photos on the floor, JillR.

• Love 6

I live in a blue state and haven't seen that stuff either, is she one of those who cries fake news while posting fake news?

12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Jilly Rod has posted another bsalty screed on the family page. You've been warned. Read it if you dare. 

All about places she believes should be boycotted. I just posted it for info /amusement for the morbidly curious among you. Let's not get too deep in the weeds over it, lest we run afoul of the rules.

Their DONATE button is smaller than the Dillydumdums.

Ok I took a look.  She needs to back off from the all caps button.  Right now.  Is she trying to make me go to Target or Starbucks??  And frankly the Orange one sitting at Pennsylvania Ave has not one Christian thing about him unless God also approves of grabbing genitals without permission or not paying your workers.  Oh yeah, this is the fundy crowd of King Boob.  Of course these things are ok!

• Love 14
6 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

She absolutely made that up. There's no way in hell that could ever occur even once someplace without somebody putting it on YouTube and having it go viral. Sounds like her alleged encounter with a trans man in an IHOP ladies room: just too dramatic and too convenient for the narrative she's pushing to be real. The only part of that story I believed was that she and her husband were stuffing their faces in a restaurant while their half-starved children waited back in the RV.

Oh man, I totally forgot about her alleged encounter with the supposed trans person at the IHOP. Just when you think she can't sink any lower.... that was far worse than her Target/Starbucks rant by far.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

She is my favourite nutcase.

A nutcase indeed.  I feel sorry for her children.  I hope she doesn't give birth to any more.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Jill did see an article on a Trump Mat at Starbucks, but looks like it was a hoax.

Her claim that Target has discontinued selling Bibles as part of their pro-gay agenda is also based on a hoax. It was a spoof "news story" on a satire site. Of course, she didn't bother to check either story to see if it was true before spreading it. Crackpot Fundies like Jill are always falling for stuff like this because they're gullible and they lack a sense of irony.

• Love 7

More pearls of wisdom from Jill R 

"We put safeguards up and our children do NOT have their own phones…until it is necessary for them to have them when they get older."

Jill - your children shouldn't have phones. What they need now is food, not phones you idiot. They look starving & underfeed.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, louannems said:

I was just at the original Starbucks on Pike Street in Seattle. No Trump photos on the floor, JillR.

Totally off topic, but I've been there once and all I remember is about two doors down there is a shop with the most amazing cheesecake I've ever tasted. I just needed to put that out there into the universe.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Emme said:

So MEChelle and Kelly, now in this new season of life, have abandoned the number of babies competition for how many kids can we marry off competition?

Michelle's winning the grandbaby competition, isn't she? Josh has 4, Jill has 1.5, and Jessa has two for 6.5. 7.5. Kelly only has 4, I think.

Edited by Nysha
I was using my bestest SOTDRT math skills.
  • Love 1

Alyssa's second was born at the end of January. So it's 7 with one cooking for the Duggars, 6 for the Bateses, with none announced cooking that we are aware of, but two could be potentially be cooking as I type. Erin seems to have no trouble conceiving, and Brooklyn is 7 months old. Whitney's are a tad more spaced out, but Kaci is almost 9 months. It's about time for both of them. 

I think Boob is more into the marry off the children & grandbaby competitions than MEchelle.  The Duggars are a little ahead in the marriages now that Joy is engaged & Tori is just courting.   (Hope my math is correct.) Duggars: Josh, Jill, Jessa, Jinger & Joy (engaged).  Bates:  Erin, Zach, Alyssa, Michaela & Tori (courting).  Maybe Michaela will get pregnant by in vitro & end up with triplets pushing the Bates ahead in the grandbabies. That would drive Boob nuts - not only would the Bates be ahead in the totals but it would also be a multiple birth. 

Side note:  Hard to believe Brooklyn & Kaci are that old already.  I remember Erin & Chad giving the baby quilt with Brooklyn's name on it to Kelly to tell them she was pregnant.

• Love 2
On 1.3.2017 at 0:09 AM, flyingdi said:

I think there are several members of the Bates family that suffer from the "Look at me!  I'm a star!" vibe.  I will list the ones I can think of.

Gil, Whitney, Erin, Lawson, Nathan, Tori and Carlin.  There are probably a couple more I can't think of.

For some reason, at least to me, Whitney comes off as a snob and Erin comes off very phony.  You may have different opinions.

I firmly believe that Whitney badly wants to belong somewhere, have her own family and this is why she overcompensates so much. I don't think she's a snob, not terribly bright of course, but she does seem to love being a Mum.

Her own background being somewhat unstable, it is hardly surprising she longs for stability and a family. Let's hope she will stop popping babies for a while now. I do think that Zach and herself are quite down to earth, at ease with each other and more "robust" in their attitudes than Erin and Chad. Erin's more fragile and "southern belle missy-ish", I can't see her being joky with Chad that much.

• Love 3

It's funny because I actually have an opposite read on Erin. She's prissy on the surface but her sense of humor is pretty bawdy at times, for example when she was teasing Michael about losing her virginity after the wedding. I actually think Erin's the one who gets annoyed that Chad is so formal and Gothard-y and wishes he'd loosen up a bit.

Regarding Whitney, I hope they keep the child army to a minimum. Two year spacing is pretty reasonable, but they're still young and that could add up to a lot of babies. Bradley and Kaci are beautiful children and I hope their parents realize family is about quality not quantity. 

• Love 6

I just saw the last BUB and it seems Jedson and Judson lit a fire in the family's huge communal closet/linen room,/laundry room. The fire department came and the next day, a fire restoration company came and hauled away 70 Hefty bags of clothing for cleaning! Now the family is living in a hotel. The show was fascinating for me because it was not scripted, just obviously reenacted.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:26 AM, Albanyguy said:

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:05 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Is JRod aware of the (I believe 9th?) Commandment?  Thou shalt not lie.  Perhaps she should worry more about the plank protruding from her own eye instead of making up shit about splinters in others.  Just sayin.

• Love 4