Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, abstractstuff said:

Just curious because I don't follow that family and don't know much about them. Has Lawson been vocal with hatred and bigotry?

Not to my knowledge. 

22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Stop! You're killing me.

He must have gotten a lot of negative feedback, and by negative I mean stuff like flat, pitchy, etc. even from leghumpers,  and he took it down.  Lawson is EXTREMELY thin-skinned.

I agree, he's a total wuss on BUB. I think his family doesn't have the heart to tell him he sucks, so they just praise him to avoid the truth. I doubt he's used to getting any criticism.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Not to my knowledge. 

I agree, he's a total wuss on BUB. I think his family doesn't have the heart to tell him he sucks, so they just praise him to avoid the truth. I doubt he's used to getting any criticism.

So then why troll on him? I get it on this board, but to troll his Instagram telling him how much he sucks, seems really mean. Not saying that directly to you BitterApple.. Just in general. 

12 minutes ago, abstractstuff said:

So then why troll on him? I get it on this board, but to troll his Instagram telling him how much he sucks, seems really mean. Not saying that directly to you BitterApple.. Just in general. 

I don't know. I'm surprised to read people were trolling him because his Instagram is usually filled with adoring leghumpers.

32 minutes ago, abstractstuff said:

I don't know what happened for him to take it down. I typically don't read comments; I was merely speculating based on Lawson's past behavior. He banned me once, and I know better than to troll. I probably said something in the realm of reasonable criticism (like flat or pitchy would be with his music) and got the banhammer. I am not the only one he's banned for pretty innocuous comments. He wants all the praise but no criticism, except possibly from the Leftwich guy or his sisters. 

Whitney should have consulted Alyssa, who is still on a social media blackout. However, in Alyssa's case, she was first trimester hormonal when she gave her middle finger to the world. The show pretty much forced her to announce her pregnancy. Unlike Whitney, she doesn't have to give birth on camera, but the Bates Plot needs grandbaby stories. 

The big one will be Michael. She wants babies as much as I was Childless By Choice. 

Whit could sure give the Duggar gals some hair pointers.

Whit looks genuinely happy too. Her smile is shown in her eyes.  (Unlike the Duggar robotic smiles.) Kaci is a cutie.  Can't wait to see her (hospital) birth on next week's Up With Bates.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I'm starting to feel bad for Michaela, even though she's putting on a brave face.  I have a feeling she'd rather fill her time with babies as opposed to scrapbooks.

I wonder what's up with them. Either she has the same disorder as Erin or Brandon is avoiding sexy times so she doesn't get pregnant. I definitely don't think she's the one wanting to hold off on kids.

• Love 3

On last weeks episode of BUB, Michaela said she did finish school with an Associate's Degree I think. Something to do medical because she was able to transfer her First Responder/ EMT training.  She didn't mention anything about getting a job using her new degree though.  It has to be sad for her when her sisters & SIL are on their second round of babies while she's left working on scrapbooks. 

• Love 2

I don't think there is much sex going on in their marriage.  Brandon strikes me as more of a once a week on schedule per duty kind of guy.  He never seemed that into her (physically).   She was clearly very into him, but I didn't see him as that into her.

• Love 2
On 23.9.2016 at 7:25 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm kind of disappointed Whitney took the post done. I would've told them all where they can stick it in very colorful, four letter words. 

Whit looks great and Kaci is adorable. She definitely takes after the Bates side.

She didn't. This was, as per Free Jinger, an Insta story, which only stays up 24 hours. But yay!! I never understood why she suddenly "felt convinced" to wear bloody skirts

• Love 3
10 hours ago, MunichNark said:

She didn't. This was, as per Free Jinger, an Insta story, which only stays up 24 hours. But yay!! I never understood why she suddenly "felt convinced" to wear bloody skirts

Thanks for the clarification, I interpreted the post wrong. Regarding Whitney, I think God "laid it on her heart" to wear skirts because God (i.e., Kelly) made it pretty clear the marriage wasn't going to happen unless she fell in line. 

• Love 5

I think that due to her own troubled background, she is/was desperate to fit in, find a family and make them her own. She wants to belong somewhere and sadly, she seems to lose herself far too much. Her own family is never seen or spoken of. Sad.

But for her wearing Jeans AND putting them out on Insta is a baby step. Keep them coming

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, MunichNark said:

I think that due to her own troubled background, she is/was desperate to fit in, find a family and make them her own. She wants to belong somewhere and sadly, she seems to lose herself far too much. Her own family is never seen or spoken of. Sad.

But for her wearing Jeans AND putting them out on Insta is a baby step. Keep them coming

I think she can do what she wants when she doesn't visit Gil and Kelly, but while she's there, she respects their rules.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Actually, apparently also due to Kelly's influence, she's reconnected with the blood relatives. They were the ones at the hospital when Bradley was born and whose house (with pool) Whitney has posted on IG. She quickly deletes any references to her adoptive family, including the man who co-officiated her wedding with Gil. As a cello adoptee, I'd love to know what Kelly said to her regarding blood relations vs. adopted ones.

48 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

They should've named her Mickayla or something. Michela is strange. 

They named her for the biblical character Michal but then discovered she wasn't a "quality" character (in their view...why didn't they know this before? They went to two Christian colleges). They could only add one letter to her name without paying extra fees, so they added the E, and that's how she legally became Michael. I guess Michealla evolved from there. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, awaken said:

I'm saying HBD from now on!  Or better yet, #hbd

Love the jeans!  I really wonder how that would have gone had she stayed with Josiah.  

She was way too educated and was actually taught self respect so that courtship had a snowballs chance in hell. I bet her mom or dad talked her out of it once they really got to know the duggars and their lying manipulative bullshit. They also probably realized if she started courting she wouldnt be allowed to go to college by her new headship BOOB

I hope her and Josiah remain friends and she can maybe lead him to a more normal Christian life. Free Josiah

• Love 7

You know, as much as Michaela is possibly pining for kids, I think it is kind of refreshing she hasn't "rushed" off the deep end like every other fundy wife we read  about and watch on tv.  At lease we can assume that Michaela and Brandon are spending a lot of time getting to know each other a lot better.  Hopefully for them, that will give their relationship a solid foundation stone (and I am not going to delve into the possibilities of Brandon's sexuality).  Much more so that how we see Jill and Derek seemingly falling apart.  M and B had a decent courtship time before marriage and maybe they are being a little less hurried?  I am hoping she doesn't have the same clotting disorder as Erin, my sister has something similar and she had multiple miscarriages before having to do IVF to conceive her babies. 

18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Is Marjorie's comment a tad shady? You decide. :D

I hate the word bae but I'll give her a pass for knowing the latest slang among people her age. It shows she's more integrated with people her age unlike her ex Duggar bae. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Are we soon to be on Waller Baby #3 watch soon?

I'm missing me some TFDW that's for sure.

According to their Instagram, she's due in a few weeks. I found this info captioned in a picture where David was telling how the whole family completed a 1,000 foot descent into a gorge. That seems like a really dangerous and foolish thing for a woman to be doing so late in pregnancy, but Gothard doesn't like excess chub, so Pris had to suck it up.

• Love 7

I thought it was "bae" phonetically as an aural truncation of "baby", because if you abbreviate "baby" literally, that makes "ba", and I guess no one wants their love terms pronounced like "baa baa black sheep" nor "bah humbug".

According to a 2014 TIME article on the phrase, bae has been in use since 2013. According to Rap Genius, the phrase has been showing up in songs since 2005. According to apocryphal stories and someUrban Dictionary entries, the phrase stands for "before all else" or "before anyone else," though many linguistic researchers think that that's probably false; Visual Thesaurus's Neal Whitman foundexamples of usage of the word "bae" that appeared on the Internet six years before the first explanation of the acronym appeared. Whitman, and others, believe that "bae" was simply derived from "babe" and "baby," and that the acronym was invented after the fact.

More here... https://www.bustle.com/articles/66613-what-does-bae-mean-and-are-you-using-it-correctly

• Love 1

I think the Duggars are Bates wanna-bes. The Counting On promo ads were similar to the Bates opening on the trampoline. And Jinger's touchy-feely courtship is similar to Michael's and Brandon's. But Michael explained that she hugs everyone and she was certainly going to hug Brandon. As far as Alyssa wearing pants and Eryn posting she wasn't still a Gothard follower, Kelly stated on a couple of occasions that once the kids are on their own they make their own rules.

However on tonight's show Gil & Kelly were saying how Michael and Zack were side by side since birth and were volunteer firemen and EMTs together. They passed it off as them being tight rather than the whole in-the-real-world buddy-system.

I feel like the Bates have one foot in conservative Christianity and one foot in Gothardland. What I'm wondering is why they're not letting go of Gothard altogether.

I think the Duggars have one foot in money and one foot in adulation.

• Love 4

Marjorie and her dad look like normal people. Her dad has a young Kevin Costner vibe coming off him. She looks cute and stylish. Whatever were they doing mixing with the Duggs?
 Bet she's glad she got out of Duggerville while the getting was good. She'd be herding around little blessings by now.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, drafan said:

Marjorie and her dad look like normal people. Her dad has a young Kevin Costner vibe coming off him. She looks cute and stylish. Whatever were they doing mixing with the Duggs?
 Bet she's glad she got out of Duggerville while the getting was good. She'd be herding around little blessings by now.

I think her parents had a LOT to do with the courtship going south.  Their family, while obviously fundie lite, wanted more for their daughter than becoming a brood mare for the Duggar machine.  She is too talented and much too smart for that.  Even if they waited till she was out of college to get married, Jim Bob would never permit her to use her God-given brains or her education.  She would'be been chained to the house and required to pop out kids every 2-3 years until she hit menopause in exchange for a role in the family TV show, a turn living in the mold house, and an allowance to live on with her underemployed husband and 10+ kids.

This does make me think, though.  If the courtship HAD gone through and Marjorie allowed to continue her education before marriage, how would it have impacted Josiah?  Would he have seen the grievous disservice his parents did to him and go on to get a degree himself?  Or at least worked to get out from under the Duggardome?  If there is another side to the breakup, maybe this was it.  Marjorie not being meek enough, wanting to continue her education/make something of herself?  That does go against Duggar and Gothard teachings...

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I think her parents had a LOT to do with the courtship going south.  Their family, while obviously fundie lite, wanted more for their daughter than becoming a brood mare for the Duggar machine.  She is too talented and much too smart for that.  Even if they waited till she was out of college to get married, Jim Bob would never permit her to use her God-given brains or her education.  She would'be been chained to the house and required to pop out kids every 2-3 years until she hit menopause in exchange for a role in the family TV show, a turn living in the mold house, and an allowance to live on with her underemployed husband and 10+ kids.

This does make me think, though.  If the courtship HAD gone through and Marjorie allowed to continue her education before marriage, how would it have impacted Josiah?  Would he have seen the grievous disservice his parents did to him and go on to get a degree himself?  Or at least worked to get out from under the Duggardome?  If there is another side to the breakup, maybe this was it.  Marjorie not being meek enough, wanting to continue her education/make something of herself?  That does go against Duggar and Gothard teachings...

You know, JimBoob is outnumbered.  If any of these half wits realized this they could totally overpower him.  Its going to take one brave soul to say what the fuck?  Who are you old man?  When we want your input we will let you know.  Go back to dry humping your helpmeet and get out of my way.  A girl can dream.

• Love 15

I can't tack this on to the end of the second video, so I'll add Davey's humblebrag blogpost here. It also includes the videos, but THERE'S MORE!!!! Seriously, who takes a woman in her 3rd trimester of pregnancy on a 20,000 mile odyssey, only to dump her home with two weeks left (and a house to clean, family to feed, etc). The poor girl will think labor is a vacation after what she's been through these past 3 months! 

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2016/10/02/home-at-last/

• Love 4

Apparently, that Duggar/Bates super-leghumper saw a post on UP's IG page announcing the name of Alyssa and John Webster's baby as Lexie Mae. Said leghumper apparently congratulated Alyssa via tag, and UP subsequently took the post down. 

You've been warned.