Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Please explain why Abby is the good character? She lies, connives, is a chronic interloper in relationships, cheats, is violent, slut shames women, is lazy, and conceited.

Speaking of unrepentant assholes, why has Will become so very selfish and disrespectful?

Having every character tongue bath Dan daily (figuratively, if it was literal he wouldn't look like Pig Pen) doesn't make him interesting or great. Can you write him less stupidly or write him out?

Why was Sami's exit so wack?

What's going on with the wardrobe?

• Love 6

What the hell is going on over there? This cannot be good.....I can't believe that I just defended Higley who destroyed Jessica on one life to live...I hope that they bring Sherry Anderson....

The article says that Sony is also thinking of bringing a member of the writing staff from Y&R over to help out while Higley is absent.  

While I loathe what Higley did with OLTL, one of the writers from Y&R would be a disaster.  Y&R right now is a soulless carnival ride, heavy on plot, and either non-existent or cartoon simplistic with character.  

Just pray that Ron Carlivati, currently looking for work doesn't pop in.  Didn't he work with Higley on OLTL?

• Love 3

In spite of the great love Eric Brady has for abifail those two have never shared a scene together as far as I know.

Chad and Theresa have never met, and Jen Lilley complains about it every time I see an interview with her.

• Love 2
The article says that Sony is also thinking of bringing a member of the writing staff from Y&R over to help out while Higley is absent.

From other sites, apparently Beth Milstein currently had been on Y&R and used to be on Days. Well, according to what I have read, she has returned to Days, so maybe Sony is having her take the reins. I guess Anne Schoettle, also at Y&R, used to be on Days, but no word on her, so I think Milstein is the obvious choice.

But yeah, this isn't good (even if Higley is a bonafide hack), since the new stuff hasn't really even aired yet.

• Love 1

While I loathe what Higley did with OLTL, one of the writers from Y&R would be a disaster.  Y&R right now is a soulless carnival ride, heavy on plot, and either non-existent or cartoon simplistic with character.  

Just pray that Ron Carlivati, currently looking for work doesn't pop in.  Didn't he work with Higley on OLTL?

Take it back! TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!!

I'm not exactly crying about Higley being gone; and would be fine with her not coming back. But I agree it doesn't really sound like things are going particularly well.

And yes RC did work with Higley. 

Seriously, Take It Back!

• Love 3

Take it back! TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!!

I'm not exactly crying about Higley being gone; and would be fine with her not coming back. But I agree it doesn't really sound like things are going particularly well.

And yes RC did work with Higley. 

Seriously, Take It Back!

I take it back.  I should NEVER have put it out there in the universe.  When I think of......no, I don't want to even think of it......

• Love 2

AfterBuzz interview with Chandler Massey.  It's obvious that he isn't watching the current show.  He also apparently isn't keeping up with Freddie Smith. He said that it's really hard to work with Brian Datillo because he's such a joker that he'll have you laughing right up until the second when they start shooting, and he was always worried that he would crack up while taping.

He still lives with Casey.

• Love 3

He's too busy being super smart at UCLA majoring in Economics to keep up with the show. LOL

Great interview. I watched live. Good to see/catch up with what he was doing.

He's too busy being super smart at UCLA majoring in Economics to keep up with the show. LOL

Great interview. I watched live. Good to see/catch up with what he was doing.

I doubt that he would want to keep up with the show, given the way that he was treated by Ken Corday and company. He did not even know that he was being fired after he taped his scenes for that day and he left the show in tears..Plus, I don't think he and Freddie were friends, they were friendly co-workers...Freddie and Guy are friends...Freddie went out of his way to welcome Guy to the show....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I got a sense from those Sony emails that got leaked a while back, that even those executives over there feel that Ken Corday is an idiot....lol...The show is always great when he is away from it..All of those bad stories were his idea, he wanted to make Will a disloyal, cheating, asshole and Lucas and Adrienne to be an item...Both were epic failures...He loved Dannifer and hated Jack....He loves Abigail and that is why she is a lead.....He hates women like Theresa, Sami, Kate and NIcole...He  has this moralistic view about life that is incongruous with reality...

• Love 3

Thanks so much for sharing, happytobehere! They're adorable beyond words together. Steve and Kayla's return in 2006 was actually what made me a Days fan. I'd flipped over to Days when One LIfe got too awful to watch (under Dena Higley, it must be said) and happened to catch the episode when amnesiac Steve returned to Salem. I'm always a sucker for flashbacks, and they intrigued me enough to search out more classic Steve and Kayla on Youtube. And I was hooked. Now that they're back on Days, I'm going to have to start watching again, even if I FF every other part of the show.

It was really interesting hearing their comments about the production end of things - new directors, a hands-on and actor-friendly EP, etc. They're both such seasoned soap vets at this point that if they say it's a positive environment, it must be. I only hope the writing does them justice - they seemed so excited about their story lines this time around, so that says a lot. Did find interesting when they commented about the scripts being shallow in the sense of not diving into character motivations and such. Explains why we've seen so many younger/newer actors come across so flat and boring on Days, and then seem perfectly watchable on other shows.

• Love 3

Thanks so much for sharing, happytobehere! They're adorable beyond words together. Steve and Kayla's return in 2006 was actually what made me a Days fan. I'd flipped over to Days when One LIfe got too awful to watch (under Dena Higley, it must be said) and happened to catch the episode when amnesiac Steve returned to Salem. I'm always a sucker for flashbacks, and they intrigued me enough to search out more classic Steve and Kayla on Youtube. And I was hooked. Now that they're back on Days, I'm going to have to start watching again, even if I FF every other part of the show.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm into the Deaf Storyline (couldn't figure out what the video posters named the point after Kayla tells Steve that Jack raped her). I also have to rewatch the reveal to Steve that Jack was Billy. Just trying to get the highlights. Steve and Kayla are my all time favorites, so I tend to get lost in the hours of footage. How these two never won Emmys is beyond me.

• Love 3

Freddie Smith posted this on his Facebook page:

This is CRAZY!!! Today is the last airing episode for Sonny Kiriakis! June 2011, "Sonny" made his debut in Salem as the first openly gay character on "Days of Our Lives."

I remember people being unsure how the audience would accept the character. With amazing writing and an incredible vision, "Days of Our Lives" and the creative team told a raw, uncut, passionate love story between two men who fell in love.

Will and Sonny became the POWER COUPLE known as WILSON! We were treated like every other couple on the show and the audience accepted us with open arms. I feel so blessed to have been a part of the equal rights movement over the past 4 years. I will never forget the journey I had as Jackson "Sonny" Kiriakis.

Thank you to all my friends, family, and fans for your support and love. I know Sonny will be missed, but I hear Salem always has their door open!

• Love 7

Best news of the year. Same day DOOL reruns to air on popTV..... starting NEXT WEEK !!!

Only one airing for now 8PM ET/PT.  Probably more once Big Bother stops its insanely tedious daily three-hour tour.

Ad is pretty sucky, but still great news.

https://twitter.com/PopTV/status/634125890058739712

PopTV already airs the CBS soaps.  The channel was formerly TVGN, which was previously The TV Guide Network.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 4

GW has publicly stated he's going nowhere (boo) ...

Chandler is all over the media the past couple weeks. His publicist is randomly posting stuff, too. Wonder where he's headed (if anywhere). 

Will should get therapy.  They should show flashbacks to his crazy childhood.  Lots of clips of Lumi and show us some schemes of the family that the audience did not see. 

Hey, a girl can dream : )

• Love 3

You're not alone. I may not like the writing or GW's portrayal but I still love Will. 

I would love for him to work on himself and focus on Ari...and then when Sonny comes back, NOT be with him. 

• Love 3

I saw this posted somewhere else. Hopefully this makes you laugh as much as it made me laugh.

There's a few ways Abby can be pregnant with EJ's child. One way is Stefano could've had Abby inseminated with what was taken from EJ after he died. It could've been frozen and Stefano waited for Abby to spend the night with Chad.

Stefano knew how much EJ loved Abby and realized they would've had children if EJ hadn't died, so this is just a delayed love child between EJ and Abby.

Not even death could keep them from having offspring!

Eventually, Sami will accept the child as EJ's and will babysit while Chad and Abby party!

• Love 1

Melissa Archer was on the AfterBuzz show this week, and they had people calling in, and one of the callers had a really thick Southern accent, and they asked her to list the top 17 things she liked about working with Paul Telfer.  Turns out it was Paul Telfer himself.  :)

• Love 5

I was going to mention something about Days disappearing from Hulu, wasn't sure if anyone else cared.  A while back they started expiring episodes within a week, it used to be 2-3 I think.  Now, you're just directed to the NBC site with the same expiration.  The NBC player buffers for me but once Hulu went from 2 to 5 commercials per break I was done.  It was convenient to have a watch list, what can I say.  I'm finding it hit or miss with whole episodes on YouTube after a day or two of airing.  You'd think Days would want viewers.  I have no idea what PopTV is.

PopTV is the new name for the TV Guide Channel. 

I don't know why some networks make it so inconvenient for viewers to watch their shows online. You'd think someone would try to figure out how to get online watching included in the Nielson ratings. 

Exactly! Youtube is a good way for people to watch nationally and internationally as well....The show's PR team should try to capitalize on that..The Bold&The Beautiful have done that successfully and the show is popular around the world..The show even went to Dubai....

Edited by Apprentice79