Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E03: #MurphysLaw (Phuket, Thailand)

• Start Topic

Regarding getting the engagement ring through customs, do the racers (and crews) get some kind of special treatment in airports? Does CBS essentially vouch for the honesty of the racers so they can just hand over their forms? Or is there a risk that someone can get pulled out of line and subjected to a random intensive search and questioning that causes someone to miss a connection and lose due to bad bureaucratic luck?

But generally, Tyler and Laura, Jeffrey and Jackie, Aly and Steve, Hayley and Blair, and Matt and Ashley all sort of melt together into one generic bunch, and I couldn't pick most of them out of a lineup at this point.

Of those:

Matt is the one you'd most peg as a bouncer.

Hayley and Laura are both blondes, Hayley is shorter and higher pitched.  Laura is the one who looks very... intense and it seems like she tends to wear green?

Jackie's got a darker complexion than the other women.

Blair would win the "most likely to be a douchey hipster" award in his high school yearbook.

I don't have any distinguishing characteristics for Aly or Steve though.  They're basically the other ones.  Though they seem exceptionally nice and very functional.   Really if you lined up the not-Blair/Matt men from that group I could not identify them without their partners.

Regarding getting the engagement ring through customs, do the racers (and crews) get some kind of special treatment in airports? Does CBS essentially vouch for the honesty of the racers so they can just hand over their forms? Or is there a risk that someone can get pulled out of line and subjected to a random intensive search and questioning that causes someone to miss a connection and lose due to bad bureaucratic luck?

Customs has played a role before.  I think maybe the most prominent example was Rob and Amber's cameraman getting screened when they were eliminated in All-Stars?  Pretty sure I remember them claiming that afterwards.

I think maybe the most prominent example was Rob and Amber's cameraman getting screened when they were eliminated in All-Stars?  Pretty sure I remember them claiming that afterwards.

If you wouldn't mind refreshing my very hazy recollection, bum, was this the one where Rob and Ambah were on the early plane about to run away with the final leg when the plane was mysteriously called back to the gate (and allowed the other team to get on)?  That always did seem fishy. 

If you wouldn't mind refreshing my very hazy recollection, bum, was this the one where Rob and Ambah were on the early plane about to run away with the final leg when the plane was mysteriously called back to the gate (and allowed the other team to get on)?  That always did seem fishy. 

It's not the same.  The plane getting recalled to the gate was during their first appearance.  Of course, we all know that Uchenna and Joyce got on that plane and eventually won the race.  The incident that Rob claimed got them eliminated was during their second (and hopefully final) appearance in All Stars.  He says their cameraman got picked by customs for additional screening, and nobody else's did.  I think they are just making excuses.  They had an opportunity to catch up at the final task (IIRC it was a "needle in a haystack" type task), and they failed.

In the past, I recall teams being given various time credits.  We used to hear about them, with a voiceover from Phil at the beginning of the leg talking about time credits, usually for "production difficulties".  For example, during TAR Classic, I recall that Lenny and Karyn missed a train due to "production difficulties" and got a credit on the next leg.  We usually only heard about these credits when it affected the departure order.  We always speculated exactly what the "difficulties" were.  In Lenny and Karyn's case, I believe their cameraman was taking a dump and his delay made them miss the train.  Or maybe that's just what we had speculated?  For whatever reason, it seems like it's been a very long time since Phil announced any credits.  They could still be giving them when appropriate, but just not telling us.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't remember the specifics of who, where or when, but there was a team whose camera broke down or failed.  They had to stop racing while the camera was fixed, and were given a time credit to make up for it.  I believe the camera only needed a replacement battery, but it still had to be brought to where ever they were, and fitted to the camera, and checked out.  Anyone remember the details?  Not that they're important...

Edited by Netfoot

So, were all the teams at the Pit Stop mat for the proposal?  I thought that was kind of fishy, so am assuming the proposal was planned for the end of the segment, and they kept the teams at the mat until the proposal.  We will find out next week when we see the departure times.  If they all are leaving within 5-10 minutes of each other, I'll believe that they all just happened to be at the mat at the same time.  Any behind-the-scene insight on this? 

She said something like it in the introduction when the teams were first meeting. Paraphrasing, but it was along the lines of, "I thought, oh my gosh, what if my partner doesn't like silly little blondes?"  I remember it because it made me feel icky.

Does anyone know the exact quote? Because 'silly little blonde' and 'ditzy (or dumb) blonde' are pretty different IMO.

Does anyone know the exact quote? Because 'silly little blonde' and 'ditzy (or dumb) blonde' are pretty different IMO.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/episodes/213991/

The awkwardness continued as she admitted to worrying that Blair wouldn’t like “silly little blondes.”

Hayley said, “The little blonde girl actually knows what she’s talking about when it comes to directions.”  Blair added, “Hayley was right, I was wrong. She’s going to remind me of it forever.”

(I personally find all of them -- 'silly little blonde girl' and/or 'ditzy'-- equally eye roll worthy.)

According to one of the Guidos, the camera crew all have to go through a long itemized checklist paperwork thing every time they enter a country.  The technical gear always gets a long look over.  Sovereign countries do not change their customs and immigration laws for a reality TV show or a American TV network.  TAR can't nullify laws.  Every Racer goes through the same procedures just like every other person.

I agree with a poster above that if it wasn't a fake ring then she probably just wore it on her finger going through.  The whole thing was totally staged and was hardly a surprise to her.

Customs has played a role before.  I think maybe the most prominent example was Rob and Amber's cameraman getting screened when they were eliminated in All-Stars?  Pretty sure I remember them claiming that afterwards.

Never heard that but doesn't surprise me.  He was complaining on his first race that Uchenna & Joyce got on the final flight.  So why wouldn't he blame customs on TAR All Stars?  What a whiner.  Every team runs into problems whether it's customs or bad cabbies, bad info, flat tires whatever.  Wimp.  And he was neck-and-neck going against Mirna at the roadblock at the end.

In the immortal words of Mirna as she departed the post office, "See ya.  Wouldn't want to be ya."

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Oy, the things I do for you, peach. I rewatched the first fifteen minutes or so to get the exact quote, and here we go in all its glory.

Hayley: But I've been really excited though to meet you. I'm really pleased! I think you're super attractive, so I think that's ... I think that's a good thing. I was worried, I was, like, what if he doesn't like blonde people? Especially silly little blondes.

Blair: Ummmmmm.

Oh, I see Winston beat me to it, and I have to agree with him that I don't see very much difference between "silly" and "ditzy." They both generally mean foolish or mildly stupid; if she wants to refer to herself that way, that's a choice I guess, but in that case she shouldn't be surprised when people then treat her as a "silly little blonde."

One thing I noticed is that all the blind date women sound alike. Hayley, Laura, Jackie, and to a very slightly lesser extent, Jenny, all have very high-pitched voices. If you're not looking at the screen, it's hard to tell which one is talking. Maybe that's their "meeting a guy" voice.

• Love 4
I've always been under the impression that the racers don't have phones (at least not ones other than "phones" that can only take product-placement selfies) so unless there are other people hanging out willing to loan them their phone they have no way of calling the airlines

.I remember seeing the teams use payphones in the past or sometimes phones that I believe were direct lines to an airlines reservation desk.  Also finding an upscale hotel  with a concierge desk and asking nicely can work wonders.

THE AMAZING RACE...easily in my top five favorite TV shows of all time...and that's why its so sad to see this pathetic version they are offering up. Idiotic Hashtags, dating couples where the men are completly indistiquishable from each other, selfies and now selfie-sticks...all in a failed attempt to attract a young demo...who are not going to be HOME ON A FRIDAY NIGHT!

This show has come so far from the days of Wil and Tara's mad dash in San Francisco to try and beat the Alpha Male team, the endless haybail challenge, Hayden in tears when faced with hundreds of locks and even Boston Rob using a time penalty as strategy.

I can't think of a more pathetic ending if this show is cancelled after this season and this meager effort was the swan song.

I will give them credit for one thing and that is actually casting a gay couple made up of two men who just happen to be gay as opposed to the usual stereotypes like Bergen and Curt. Well done.

Speaking of the Bergen and Curt my cold dead heart was laughing at the one guy completely dissing his partner when he tearfully said he was hoping to find love on the race (translation: his partner just doesn't cut it) I thought that was funny him saying it in front of his partner. Damn I just want to live in a world where someone doesn't have the first name of Bergen.

Hayley the HarpyTM does have a nice figure for what that's worth.

So in short at this point the only saving grace of this season is Jackie. I like her enthusiasm! I hope she and Jeff and can not only make it to the finish line first but also make it as a couple...then this whole magilla would be worth something.

• Love 3

I don't see very much difference between "silly" and "ditzy." They both generally mean foolish or mildly stupid; if she wants to refer to herself that way, that's a choice I guess, but in that case she shouldn't be surprised when people then treat her as a "silly little blonde."

I don't see anything hugely wrong with Hayley referring to herself in a slightly self-depreciatiing way.  I find that much preferable to people who introduce themselves or just generally act as if they were God's Gift.

• Love 5

I saw this in reality fan forum; there was someone who posted photos with him talking with another team (I think it was Hayley and Blair) and they allowed him to take a photo of their instructions for the flights.  I don't remember all of the details, but there were specific airlines they were not allowed to use at all  I'm guessing there are TONS of flights from Tokyo to Phuket via other hubs but they are limited by their options.  It wouldn't surprise me that the terminal they were at housed the airlines they were allowed to use.

Now that makes sense, and I was going to mention it: it looked very much as if teams didn't have free rein of the schedule but instead were limited to a couple of airlines and perhaps even made to go through their desks instead of booking with them online or through a general ticket agent. That's not quite the same as spoonfed, because teams are quietly forbidden from using airlines on a regular basis (usually liability or visa issues) but it's getting close. The question will be whether Jonathan and Harley are "the walking eliminated" in the next leg, with no chance of making up the gap.

The lady-boy challenge reminded me a little of something Dan Savage once said, about how, in some ways, he actually feels sorry for straight men, because our society tends to put pressure on them to prove their straightness every second of every day. If a gay man doesn't look remotely feminine, no one questions his sexuality. If he admits to having once kissed (or more) a woman, no one questions his sexuality. If he's into sports, no one questions his sexuality. But straight men? One tiny hint of liking or voluntarily participating in something not "manly" enough, and people start asking ridiculous questions. Ergo, when they find themselves having to put on boatloads of makeup, heels, stockings, glitter, and feathers, many of them feel the need to insist, loudly and repeatedly, that they are not doing this voluntarily, they have no prior experience with doing this, and it certainly does not in any way suit them. I try not to be too annoyed by it, knowing that societal pressure for all that that exists, but it does make me like the ones who are secure enough not to do so a little more.

Or likes musicals.  The amount of flack I've taken over the years...

I think the simple answer is that both Blair and Hayley have very obnoxious personalities that are almost guaranteed to get on each other's nerves.  He's a dismissive jackass and she doesn't have a good idea of when she has made her point.

There is no winner on that team, I think we all just hope their conflicting personalities and mediocre at best race skills eliminate them sooner rather than later.

Unless you're on Team Schadenfreude / Blind Date Train Wreck in which case: keep scraping by!

And, as a total aside, I'm one of the folk who believes Laura is a ringer for Amy Adams, so, no trouble remembering which blond is which for me.

• Love 4

Actually I think they're getting along better than we're being shown. At the Ladyboy challenge and in talking heads, I've seen him smiling at her and behaving more friendly. In a way I wouldn't be surprised if they're the one blind date couple that does end up together.

When they "high fived" after she said she was going to stop pointing out that he should listen to her, I have to admit that this thought did occur to me if only because I find the thought hilarious.

• Love 1

In a way I wouldn't be surprised if they're the one blind date couple that does end up together.  It's like they're seeing the worst of each other right off the bat, so if they can manage to make a successful race partnership it could extend to a successful dating partnership.

You may be right. It makes me think of Rita Rudner talking about how she loved being married because it's great when you find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. My husband still tells me that, and we've been married almost 22 years.

• Love 1

Well I speculated as much after the first episode where Blair couldn't look more annoyed with Hayley. That by the end of the episode, I couldn't explain why but I just got a feeling that if I found out after the season they'd started dating, I actually wouldn't be so shocked. I think they might oddly represent a sort of yin and yang to each other's personality which is precisely why it seems they don't get along at times. 

• Love 2

So, were all the teams at the Pit Stop mat for the proposal?  I thought that was kind of fishy, so am assuming the proposal was planned for the end of the segment, and they kept the teams at the mat until the proposal.  We will find out next week when we see the departure times.  If they all are leaving within 5-10 minutes of each other, I'll believe that they all just happened to be at the mat at the same time.  Any behind-the-scene insight on this? 

The New Kids weren't at the mat or in their group photo, I believe.  I didn't count heads, so I don't know if the earlier teams were in that group photo or not--but we DID see at least four teams arrive at the mat in what seemed to be a very compressed timeframe.  So we can account for at least 8 heads in that group photo, or perhaps 10 if we include Phil and the greeter.

Yes, the New Kids were definitely not there for the proposal.

he was hoping to find love on the race (translation: his partner just doesn't cut it) I thought that was funny him saying it in front of his partner.

To be fair they have both repeatedly said in the presence of each other that they aren't each other's type and that it was clearly not a love connection.

One thing I did love about them is when they were running up to the pitsop one of them said to the other "come on" and than quickly clarified "I am trying to be encouraging and am not upset!"

• Love 5
To be fair they have both repeatedly said in the presence of each other that they aren't each other's type and that it was clearly not a love connection.

I found it interesting how unequivocal they were this week that they have decided they are too different and there is zero chance of dating.  Even last week, they were keeping it open.  

I did think it was a little awkward when one of them teared up that he was hoping to find love on the race and why is it so hard, and the other one was standing right there.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

And, as a total aside, I'm one of the folk who believes Laura is a ringer for Amy Adams, so, no trouble remembering which blond is which for me.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one to see it :-) And for me Hayley on some angles looks like a young Britney Spears and absolutely sounds like Anna Faris. It's the guys I have the most trouble with. Seeing them without their partners, I'm lost. 

On the Blair/Hayley debacle, if he had taken her thoughts into account, they could have make 1st place. I know none of them at this stage wants to spend a holiday with the other, but even if they don't change their minds these prizes can be exchanged and 1st place is always a good thing to get.

Proposal couple: no, not an ounce of tear in my eye - of course, I had no idea where they came from, having no recollection of having seen them so far, so that didn't help. Apart from the risk of losing fanny pack, I thought he had just decided to propose because they got a taste that they could be eliminated soon and that would mean bye bye to the chance to propose on Tee Vee. Call me cynical, I can bear it :-)

On the other hand, I'm absolutely loving Jonathan and Harley, more and more each episode. Being dead last, while awfully wanting to stay in the race, and still no bitching, no stress, and just ploughing through? I absolutely love!!! This couple is totally adorable and they have one of the nicest dynamic ever. Totally rooting for them. (And for the record, I'm a straight woman!) 

The lawyers: I'm happy they slipped, very boring to me when the same team keeps winning. Plus it's always good to see how a team would react to some adversity (see above).

The winners of this leg? Well good for them to make first after circling the drain for so long, but still have no feel on them. Lots of pros ans cons, as Phil would have once said.

And talking about Phil, I hate, hate, hate his new "any love yet?" approach at the mat. I watched the last season of ANTM (yes, I have shallow tastes too) and felt the same where cutthroat Kelly Cutrone started going there

• Love 2

The New Kids weren't at the mat or in their group photo, I believe.  I didn't count heads, so I don't know if the earlier teams were in that group photo or not--but we DID see at least four teams arrive at the mat in what seemed to be a very compressed timeframe.  So we can account for at least 8 heads in that group photo, or perhaps 10 if we include Phil and the greeter.

I noticed that unlike almost everyone else, the New Kids arrived at the mat without a drop of makeup on their faces (from the drag challenge).   It made me wonder if they stopped off somewhere to remove it before continuing on.

I noticed that unlike almost everyone else, the New Kids arrived at the mat without a drop of makeup on their faces (from the drag challenge).   It made me wonder if they stopped off somewhere to remove it before continuing on.

not necessarily so, they could have done it in the taxi.

I am so over men acting like putting on a pair of pantyhose and some eyeliner is the most degrading shit ever, when they very well know they expect that and more from the women in their lives. How can you claim to respect your partner when even dipping your toes into the waters of their everyday expectations makes you act like a 5 year old with someone else's boogers in their hands? And least stfu and listen to the queen teaching you the steps instead of screaming "I'm a ladyMAN" at the cameras. I wanted to slap just about all of them during that part. 

Spoiler tagging Hayley/Blair ranting bc I realize it turned very long :P

I don't remember the last time a male reality show contestant was constantly reamed for having an unacceptable voice. I know people who have raised a wolf pack of howling children, but a woman with a high-pitched voice is crossing the line. It's her voice, she stills deserves basic respect even if people are mad she doesn't have the dulcet and subservient tones of Siri. How are people still calling her stupid when she's a pediatric trauma nurse? She is lituratively made of steel and could probably eat me for breakfast.

Blair seems like someone who processes failures internally, and bringing them out into public view just makes him dig in his heels and view the other person as over-the-top. He's said "I was wrong" once, he's said some variation of "we really need to move on from this" about ten different times across three episodes. Which is too bad, because Hayley seems like an actions, not words, type of girl so she's not falling for any of it. And she will beat him over the head about it because, yes, she has probably dealt with the exact same type of thunderhead at her workplace. Doctors who will overdose and misprescribe, and when it's pointed out, will shrug it off and say "it's obvious what I meant" (trustory). All he has to do to make it stop is to stop dismissing her, but he's too stubborn/arrogant to internally admit his standard operating procedure has been wrong multiple times already. And they will lose because of it. Which will suck for Hayley because she is just as drive and Type-A as Blair is, but he refuses to place her on the same level as him.

If they did work out they'd be like the army pilot and his wife, where he was constantly grandstanding about how right and awesome he was while she did the work, and periodically cut him down at the knees if he got too full of himself. I still remember his whining like an enormous baby when she wouldn't let him do the Express Pass involving a "helicopter" because she astutely reasoned it would not be actually flying one and his skills would be useless. I feel like Blair is some sort of asexually budded offspring of that guy.

I wonder what the factors where for pairing, because anyone looking at Bergen and Kurt knew that wasn't going to work out. They really are brothers from another mother, I wonder if they would have been so laissez-faire with a straight couple? I feel like Jackie and Jeff could work (for a time) just because she's clearly got him by the short hairs, and I think she likes it that way. Though she might be over it if she gets stuck with more dancing challenges with him. There have been a lot of contestants who were like "I can dance" and then stumble through routines, but she looked like she had it nailed in about 2 minutes. 

The Olympians are so inoffensively adorable. They are my favorites, for now. Lawyers are right behind, but I fear for them if the mudpie hits the fan. She is very Ur-Alpha, and he seems like he could be quite stubborn if he feels boxed in.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 5

Hayley: But I've been really excited though to meet you. I'm really pleased! I think you're super attractive, so I think that's ... I think that's a good thing. I was worried, I was, like, what if he doesn't like blonde people? Especially silly little blondes.

Blair: Ummmmmm.

I'm not exactly the smoothest with the ladies, but even I know the correct answer is not "Ummm" but "Oh, I like blondes just fine, and I don't think there's anything silly about you. In fact, you must be very intelligent and accomplished to succeed as a pediatric nurse in a trauma ward. Why, I'm flattered that you find me super attractive. Maybe this blind date thing will work out swimmingly for us and OH MY GOODNESS YOU'RE SO PRETTY AND I'M SO LONELY WILL YOU MARRY ME I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED SOMETHING LIKE MATT AND ASHLEY WHO ARE GETTING ENGAGED IN TWO MORE EPISODES WHY CAN'T I FIND TRUE LOVE BWWAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!"

Man, even in my imagination I am terrible at this.

I don't like the all-dating couples angle. I like more variety in the team relational dynamics. But they even made too many dating couples too similar. Steve and Ally seem nice but they simply do not register for me personality-wise, at all. Same thing for Ashley. I can't tell Matt and Tyler apart. Laura looks like Amy Adams and that's it. Favorite team is Jelani and Jenna, hope they don't melt down. Truck stop team is OK.  Blair/Hayley and Kurt/Bergen MUST stay for entertainment value, because too many teams offer nothing.

I wish New Stuntcast on the Block got eliminated. I would rather see regular everyday people have a chance to see the world instead of someone in a popular boy band who has already had that chance several times over.

• Love 6
I wonder what the factors where for pairing, because anyone looking at Bergen and Kurt knew that wasn't going to work out. They really are brothers from another mother, I wonder if they would have been so laissez-faire with a straight couple?

And totally off topic but this reminded me of an episode when Seinfeld felt for his "twin"/mirror image/double, not sure what they called it, but she looked very much like him :-)  And then of course, this being Seinfeld, at some point that love was gone! 

But going back to Team NKOTB: I'm not gay so I'm not the best person to evaluate this, but I was just struck by the fact that the show has no problem these days showing them kissing and being affectionate with each other.  If nothing else, it reflects how much our society has changed in the last 15 years. I know the show has had gay racers since Season 2, but it was kind of a big deal when Chip and Reichen won S4 and the show edited out their big smooch on the winner's mat -- and I don't remember if they showed any other kissing back then either. 

The Beekman Boys had a nice smooch on the mat when they won, but I remember them saying that they were very restrained in their PDA while traveling, because there are still many countries where homosexuality is not only frowned upon, but illegal.  Jon and Harley are very affectionate with each other, but I find myself sort of mentally "looking around" to get a read on their environment out of concern for their wellbeing--even though that's impossible through the teevee!

Oddly enough in a leg that contained a showgirl drag challenge, the most un-macho moment was the guy yelling "WHERE"S MY FANNY-PACK???"  

I was watching last night while my BF was working with his study group in the other room--I screeched "OH MY GOD HE LOST THE AMAZING FANNYPACK!!" and they all stopped talking and looked at me funny.  Heh.  Aren't the racers required to have that fannypack on them at all times, to the extent of not being able to check in at the mat without it?  My impression is that it's where they're instructed keep all of their most important stuff--clues, passports, money...engagement rings.

• Love 2

I don't remember the last time a male reality show contestant was constantly reamed for having an unacceptable voice. I know people who have raised a wolf pack of howling children, but a woman with a high-pitched voice is crossing the line. It's her voice, she stills deserves basic respect even if people are mad she doesn't have the dulcet and subservient tones of Siri. How are people still calling her stupid when she's a pediatric trauma nurse? She is lituratively made of steel and could probably eat me for breakfast.

This! Thank you.

And also word to being tired of men acting like putting on pantyhose is the worst thing that will ever happen to them. 

The reason I think Hayley saying 'silly blond' is a bit different than if she'd said 'dumb blond' is because, well, I think she is in fact a 'silly blond.' Silly doesn't mean stupid.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7

Blair and Hayley reminded me SO much of that long-married couple who has fallen into its dysfunctional ways of relating and don't even care anymore if they are embarrassing themselves in public.

Have you ever been in the back seat of a car when one of those couples gets into it about driving directions?  Sheesh. 

(I know you know what I'm talking about.)

They seem to have gone directly from meeting to familiarity breeds contempt.

• Love 2

I would hope that the Amazing Race would not send a gay/lesbian team to a country where they could be arrested for being homosexual. I would hope that all of the couples are aware of how each country they visit views PDA and modifies their behavior to accommodate that culture regardless of their sexuality.

Blair and Hayley reminded me SO much of that long-married couple who has fallen into its dysfunctional ways of relating and don't even care anymore if they are embarrassing themselves in public.

Have you ever been in the back seat of a car when one of those couples gets into it about driving directions?  Sheesh. 

(I know you know what I'm talking about.)

They seem to have gone directly from meeting to familiarity breeds contempt.

Now I want her to tell him to mind the pedestrian. (My guess is she's never heard of Hyacinth Bucket, though.)

• Love 1

I thought he had just decided to propose because they got a taste that they could be eliminated soon and that would mean bye bye to the chance to propose on Tee Vee. Call me cynical, I can bear it :-)

I agree totally.  I doubt he initially planned to propose at the end of the leg.  The double-shock of nearly losing the ring plus nearly receiving the boot for stupidly forgetting the fanny-pack and having to go back for it pushed him into an immediate proposal.  Leastways, that's how I read itr.

• Love 2

I would hope that the Amazing Race would not send a gay/lesbian team to a country where they could be arrested for being homosexual. I would hope that all of the couples are aware of how each country they visit views PDA and modifies their behavior to accommodate that culture regardless of their sexuality.

I don't want to start a big debate, but TAR has indeed filmed in many of the 78 countries in which homosexuality is illegal (#).  And yes, I WOULD hope that all couples would self-police their behavior, but we know this doesn't always happen. 

• Love 3
I don't remember the last time a male reality show contestant was constantly reamed for having an unacceptable voice. I know people who have raised a wolf pack of howling children, but a woman with a high-pitched voice is crossing the line. It's her voice, she stills deserves basic respect even if people are mad she doesn't have the dulcet and subservient tones of Siri. How are people still calling her stupid when she's a pediatric trauma nurse? She is lituratively made of steel and could probably eat me for breakfast.

To be fair, I don't think most people are accusing her of being stupid. They are saying she is *annoying.* Which she is. Within 10 minutes of the first episode, Mrs. Ottis said to me, "I can't stand that woman's voice." By the end of the episode, she said Hayley annoyed her. And in a later episode, when Hayley wouldn't stop talking about how she was right at the zip line challenge, Mrs. Ottis said, "Let it go already!" None of this has anything to do with being stupid. It has to do with behavior and an unfortunate (at times) voice.

As for Blair, he may well end up liking Hayley after he gets to know her for more than we have gotten to know her for. Because she most definitely isn't stupid. She may well be a very nice and admirable person who he finds he cares about.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 3

One of the worst (best?) parts of the Hayley/Blair show was when she was saying "You should be grateful that I have a backbone and am not just some pushover." Or whatever she said. I love it when people demand others be grateful for the abuse they are getting.

I don't think she really understands what "having a backbone" means.  For instance, it does not mean beating a dead horse like a harridan for hours.  To me that's just petty and immature.  It reeked of wanting to humiliate Blair and wanting him to collude in the humiliation.  I believe he had already apologized, albeit probably in a totally lame way.  Neither one of these two is what you would call good at personal communication, which fills me with horror about the state of the medical profession.

Having said all that (and snarked on them before), I would not be at all surprised in the end if they ended up as a couple, in some way.

• Love 2

I don't think Hayley was convinced that Blair was going to listen to her from then on, so that's why she repeated it over and over again.  I agree that was the worst strategy since he would just tune out, plus it was so grating to watch.  Blair doesn't react very strongly to anything, so maybe that compounded her attempts to "get through" to him.

I don't like the all-dating couples angle. I like more variety in the team relational dynamics. But they even made too many dating couples too similar. Steve and Ally seem nice but they simply do not register for me personality-wise, at all. Same thing for Ashley. I can't tell Matt and Tyler apart. Laura looks like Amy Adams and that's it.  ...

Reading this I realize I don't know who ANY of these people are on the Race.  Including someone named Amy Adams which I take isn't on the Race.

• Love 2

To be fair, I don't think most people are accusing her of being stupid. They are saying she is *annoying.* Which she is. Within 10 minutes of the first episode, Mrs. Ottis said to me, "I can't stand that woman's voice." By the end of the episode, she said Hayley annoyed her. And in a later episode, when Hayley wouldn't stop talking about how she was right at the zip line challenge, Mrs. Ottis said, "Let it go already!" None of this has anything to do with being stupid. It has to do with behavior and an unfortunate (at times) voice.

For me, it's not so much the voice (which I think she could change if she thought it was a problem because otherwise what are voice coaches for?). It's the perky cheerfulness. I know some people are just that way, and many people like them and enjoy being around them. I am cynical and sarcastic and introverted, and she would drive me crazy, even if I thought she was a very nice person.

One of the worst (best?) parts of the Hayley/Blair show was when she was saying "You should be grateful that I have a backbone and am not just some pushover." Or whatever she said. I love it when people demand others be grateful for the abuse they are getting.

I don't think she really understands what "having a backbone" means.  For instance, it does not mean beating a dead horse like a harridan for hours.  To me that's just petty and immature.

I agree. If she really had a backbone and was really sure she was correct, both in the first episode when she said they were going in the wrong direction and in this episode at the zipline, she could have simply refused to move until he listened to her. On the race, unlike in real life, she has that ability because they're required to stay together. If she doesn't want to go the wrong way or take a tray without enough food, she doesn't have to and he can't go without her. But if she lets him have his way and he's right, then great; if she lets him have his way and he's wrong, she gets to say, "see! you should have listened to me you never listen to me youhavetodowhatisay." Lather, rinse, repeat. This is why I can't agree with those who say she's a better racer than he is and that she's trying to work with him to win the race. She wants to be right without the risk that she might be wrong. In both those instances, Blair was factually wrong but was steering the team to do what he thought was right. Hayley was factually right, but allowed the team to do what she believed was wrong. So to me, that's not a good racer.

And that's not to say that I think Blair is a good racer. I think they're both equally mediocre. But if and when they lose, it's not going to be because of him alone, but because of both of them.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 7

I don't think Hayley was convinced that Blair was going to listen to her from then on, so that's why she repeated it over and over again.  I agree that was the worst strategy since he would just tune out, plus it was so grating to watch.  Blair doesn't react very strongly to anything, so maybe that compounded her attempts to "get through" to him.

I completely agree.  When she first said he needed to listen to her, he should have convinced her that he would do so in future.  By acting dismissively, he only pushed her to repeat herself.  It doesn't matter if he said he would listen, if his body language, tone and attitude says otherwise. 

As another poster suggested, Hayley needs to assert herself physically.  If he says "That way!" pointing south, and she thinks differently, she needs to refuse to go south and start walking north.

• Love 3

So regarding the sitting in the airport all night thing -- I am sure this has been discussed somewhere at some point -- but can't the teams CALL the airlines to book? We have seen, in the past, how teams will check sites like Travelocity to see what the flights are, so calling the airlines can't be out of the question, right? I assume they can't book online themselves for various reasons, one being that you usually can't book online within a certain amount of hours before travel time. Just seems strange that they have no options but to sit in an airport. I would have gone to the nearest hotel concierge and had them help me.

I agree. If she really had a backbone and was really sure she was correct, both in the first episode when she said they were going in the wrong direction and in this episode at the zipline, she could have simply refused to move until he listened to her. On the race, unlike in real life, she has that ability because they're required to stay together....
This is why I can't agree with those who say she's a better racer than he is and that she's trying to work with him to win the race. She wants to be right without the risk that she might be wrong.

I don't really think that's fair to Hayley. Many past contestants of the show have talked about how you're always rushing, always moving, running from one spot to another, one task to another and the show does involve having to make a lot of split second decisions. To say that Hayley should have just stopped and refused to move, risk falling behind and losing time, is not really fair, imo. Not to mention I imagine that would have gotten her labeled as bratty and petty.

On the first leg, she gave her reasons why she thought it was the other direction, Blair said it was the other way, she did ask him if he was sure and he said he was. So at that point, with no reason not to trust him because he is her teammate, she let him lead. The second time, yes she could have just stopped when he kept moving, ignoring her questions and concerns but then that makes them lose time and then what if she is wrong. So she did do the right thing in my opinion by explaining why she thought the decision was wrong and when it turned out she was right, she laid into him.

As much as she went on too long, I do think she made it clear this time that enough is enough, they've done it his way but he cannot and should not keep ignoring her opinions and suggestions and I did get the sense that she is not putting up with it anymore. Now let's see what happens the next time they have different ideas about what to do. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
To say that Hayley should have just stopped and refused to move, risk falling behind and losing time, is not really fair, imo. Not to mention I imagine that would have gotten her labeled as bratty and petty.

If she knows Blair is wrong and goes along with him, then they're going to lose time anyway. And if she gets labeled as bratty or petty for insisting on her opinion, I don't see how that's any more unfair than Blair being labeled as smug and condescending when he insists on his. I mean, I'm not Team Blair or anything (personally, I think all the Team Whoever stuff is divisive and starts arguments), but Hayley is just as much to blame for their missteps as he is. If they disagree but both think they're right, then whoever blinks first is going to get his or her way. Hayley has chosen twice to let that be Blair, which I think gives her little room to complain after the fact.

• Love 4
I am so over men acting like putting on a pair of pantyhose and some eyeliner is the most degrading shit ever, when they very well know they expect that and more from the women in their lives. How can you claim to respect your partner when even dipping your toes into the waters of their everyday expectations makes you act like a 5 year old with someone else's boogers in their hands? And least stfu and listen to the queen teaching you the steps instead of screaming "I'm a ladyMAN" at the cameras. I wanted to slap just about all of them during that part.

I think it’s completely natural that most guys would feel uncomfortable with having to put on make-up and dress up in drag.  So I had no problem with the reaction of most of the guys on the show.  They might have made a quick joke or comment, but then quickly got on with things.  I see it as being similar as when they are forced to eat something that looks a bit gross or that they don’t like. 

It was really only LadyMAN who was over the top.

• Love 1

Heck, in Thailand you're more likely to be arrested for two guys NOT making out.

But yeah, I think the show is probably on top of making sure this edition doesn't go to most of Africa, and all of the Middle East.

Normally, yes. But with the way this season is going in terms of tasks we're probably lucky the clue from the drag queen task wasn't written on a ping-pong ball, so I don't know how much stock we can put into prior seasons.