Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I'm not an Isner fan, but he was so emotional, it got to me. 

I see Berettini had to retire today also. And Hurkacz played sick. Must be some kind of flu running through the tournament. Hope the rest of the players are taking extreme precautions.

Yeah, I do wonder if there's some kind of flu because the players aren't injured; they get sick.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, I do wonder if there's some kind of flu because the players aren't injured; they get sick.

Berettini rolled his ankle and had to be carted off in a wheelchair. I hope they're testing the players who are sick for covid. There's a strain of it hitting New York hard right now.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 3

Disney is run by a bunch of thugs. They don't negotiate, they just tell you what they want and wait until you give in. It's the same people who have just been firing people left and right for the last year.

It sounds like the big ask of Disney is that when a Spectrum customer is forced to buy Disney programming per Disney's contract demands, that the Spectrum customer will also be given access to the streaming version (Disney+, Hulu, etc.) for no additional cost. Spectrum says that it's not fair to their customers that they are paying Disney once every month as part of their Spectrum package and then a second time for the streaming version.

Disney said, No. You will not only pay us higher rates for the Disney channels, but you will also now pay us for a higher percentage of your video customers than we asked for last time.

Fucking thugs.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3

Right now I'm only able to watch the matches that are streaming on ESPN plus, I am seeing Ben Shelton's match.  Last night I was able to watch Medvedev only over the Spanish feed.

I am sure this is all Disney's doing, it's ironic to me because I really only watch ESPN for major tennis (all they show) and the NBA finals.   And I have no interest in their other channels, or in Hulu or Disney whatever streaming service.  Bunch of creeps at Disney.

I agree that the sick players ought to be tested for Covid but haven't heard any news on the issue.  I did read that both Mac brothers tested positive after John played an exhibition before the USO with some of the current players.

ETA:  For anyone else affected, I have found out that Spectrum will give you a one time credit for the missing channels ($15 apparently) if you go on their site and request it.  I went on chat and asked for the credit and the rep immediately said she had taken care of it.

Depending on how bad this gets I might take out cheap plan with Sling for the time being but if I can watch the later rounds even on replay I may wait. Crummy Disney.

Edited by roseha
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 3

Last night finally made me sit down and watch. Some amazing points in both late matches. I bet the tournament execs were beside themselves when it looked like Djere might deprive them of their marquee final. 

When I see Novak's coach sitting in front of that computer gizmo, all I can think is that Djokovic is AI and needs adjusting. 😁

• LOL 3

This Coco Gauff v. Caroline Wozniacki match is too juicy--- I don't know who to root for! 

I see you, Caroline! In the Serena-esque cat suit! After 2 kids, honey--- you better let 'em know! Lol!

P.S. Today US Open coverage is on ABC channel.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/1/2023 at 1:57 AM, shok said:

I hope they're testing the players who are sick for covid. There's a strain of it hitting New York hard right now.

It's certainly not a bad idea to test players for COVID given the current state of things covid-wise, but it seems the sick players are vomiting, which last I checked was not a common symptom of the current variant.

I am loving the Woz Gauff match. It feels more like a semi than 4th round. This is good times.

• Like 3

I'm picking Coco to win the third, but it's pretty dang impressive Caroline has been able to hang this long. It seems like the game gets bigger, stronger and faster every year. When you're absent for any length it's like playing in a whole different atmosphere. 

• Like 4

I would have traveled to New York and personally nursed Johnny Mac (who I can barely tolerate) back to health had I known that we would be subjected to so much Brad Gilbert.

I want to throw things at my television.

Make.him.shut.up.

Even Coco couldn't get him to shut his trap, and she's paying him to talk to her.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 8

Great match from Ostepanko! I get a kick out of her and her "I will club any ball that comes near me" style of play. She is quirky, but not in an a way that is dramatic or disrespectful to the other player. Her coach rivals Med's for stoicism. When she won the second set, he stood and did two golf claps, that is about the extent of his animation.

Rene, MJ and Darren calling the match was a bonus. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Great match from Ostepanko! I get a kick out of her and her "I will club any ball that comes near me" style of play. She is quirky, but not in an a way that is dramatic or disrespectful to the other player. Her coach rivals Med's for stoicism. When she won the second set, he stood and did two golf claps, that is about the extent of his animation.

I missed most of the match, but I did see her press conference after. Ostepanko is very sweet and gives a fun interview. I'm not rooting for her over Coco, but it should be a great match. 

• Like 3

Saw Madison’s interview with Chrissy and the other woman whose name I have forgotten.  First question from Chrissy was about her engagement and giant ring.  They asked about the match but also about renovating the new house she bought and how her fiancé coach make it work.  They ended the interview with “congratulations, especially that ring!”  It was horrific.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Saw Madison’s interview with Chrissy and the other woman whose name I have forgotten.  First question from Chrissy was about her engagement and giant ring.  They asked about the match but also about renovating the new house she bought and how her fiancé coach make it work.  They ended the interview with “congratulations, especially that ring!”  It was horrific.

I could not believe what I was seeing when she snatched Madison's finger to gawk at her ring. Then the comment "I've been married three times and didn't have a ring like that!" (the shot heard all the way to Australia, or perhaps Saudi Arabia). Keep it classy Chris. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

... & I could listen to James Blake talk all day long. 

Chris Eubanks did some commentary for the Ben Shelton / Tommy Paul match.  I think he does an excellent job.  Of course he's also had his best year on the court as well, and it's great to see.  He seems like a great person as well.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

Years & years ago, I stayed up to watch Todd Martin win his (US Open?) match (& tournament?).

Early AM hours--not many fans left in audience--He won & went berserk in the best way....

He somehow got himself into the stands & raced around slapping hands with fans & when they did a close-up of his face--I think his eyes were spinning!

It was so great!

• Like 7
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Tacky, Chrissy, tacky. You're not interviewing Madison on a daytime talk show. You're on ESPN and she's an athlete who is participating in a high-profile event in her sport who just scored what is considered a major upset. If other women can't show respect to female athletes during the process...

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
On 9/4/2023 at 8:20 AM, TVbitch said:

I like Ostapenko as well, and bonus that she defeated Swiatek.  I'm tired of Swiatek, I don't find her game entertaining.  I did like her when she first came onto the scene and won her first title (and beat sourpuss Sofia Kenin), but since then, I'm a bit tired of her winning all the time.

I watched the Stearns / Vondrousova match, and although Stearns managed to win the first set, she looked outclassed.  So many unforced errors, and not just unforced errors, but so many badly hit balls.  She has potential though.

I'm not a Vondrousova fan, to me she seems like the new Karolina Pliskova.  She plays like a joyless robot.  She has these dead raccoon eyes.  And what's up with the arm tattoos?  They're awful, they look like a child got a black marker and made random scribbles on her.

• Like 4

Ouch, Sinner/Zv looked like an episode of the walking dead at times. Both guys gave their all.  I thought SInner would take it once he got his cramps were under control. Either way, the journey ends here with Alcaraz up next. 

Glad Zv demanded the removal of the guy who was singing the Nazi anthem.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I like Ostapenko as well, and bonus that she defeated Swiatek.

I think I was suprised that Iga is actually really winless against her.  Then there's Coco who simply ousted her like it was no big deal.  That's sports, I suppose

• Like 1

I'm so happy right now for Ben Shelton!  What a year he's had, struggling since Australia and now making the semis of the US Open at age 20.

I don't have anything against Tiafoe, he seems like a nice guy but I have a feeling that Ben has the potential to be a great player and to actually win a major before he's done.  I had the match on without watching all the time (actually my TV sound dropped out for awhile) but I went over to see Ben serve it out.  Really exciting. 

I switched over to Sling Orange having lost ESPN on Spectrum so I will re-watch the match on ESPN 3 tomorrow.  Congrats to Ben.

As far as the women are concerned, I was hoping for Ons to finally win a major but it didn't happen.  So I hope Coco will win.  Like Ons I think she is under a lot of pressure to win the big one, so I hope it happens for her.  I wasn't that surprised that she beat Penko, Jelena is bound to have ups and downs like that.

• Like 1

Party of one here, but I really dislike Ben's braggadocio. It's very off-putting to me. I know that some are drawn to those who call attention to themselves in that manner, but I just don't happen to be one. 

Accomplish great tennis, then concentrate on the Instagram theatrics when you can no longer get the ball over the net son.

I'm sure advertisers will be flocking to him, so there will be no escaping it. 😏

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
21 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I like James Blake but his voice is annoying to my ears.  I'd love for Chris Eubanks to take his place.  

And speaking of voices, Alexandra Stevenson just sounds ditzy.

Funny, I like Eubanks, but I prefer Blake.

I heard Stevenson and Shriver commenting on a women’s match together this week and the incessant chatting made me turn the sound off.

• Like 2

This might be tennis heresy, but I much prefer  Blake and Eubanks as commentators to the McEnroe bros... shhhhh. 

Tiafoe has been my favorite men's player for years and I really wanted him to win last night. That being said, I adore Shelton (and not just because we're both Gators...). He's fresh and yes, brash and a little like the Energizer bunny -- but man, that serve. It will be interesting to watch him navigate the veteran moves of Djokivic.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Party of one here, but I really dislike Ben's braggadocio. It's very off-putting to me. I know that some are drawn to those who call attention to themselves in that manner, but I just don't happen to be one. 

Accomplish great tennis, then concentrate on the Instagram theatrics when you can no longer get the ball over the net son.

I'm sure advertisers will be flocking to him, so there will be no escaping it. 😏

I agree about Shelton, acting like an ass clown.  Tiafoe used to do the same thing, but I heard that his coach told him to tone it down, and I'm glad that he did.  

I'm rooting for Shelton to beat Djoker, but only because it's Djoker.  I wish Tiafoe was the one playing him instead.   

• Like 3

I was rooting for Tiafoe, but Shelton reminds me of those young athletes who win because they aren’t experienced enough to know they are supposed to lose.  I don’t typically like braggadocio, especially on the court, but I hope he takes it to Djokivic and doesn’t get overwhelmed by the moment.

I didn’t get to watch Coco’s match, but the score suggests a bloodbath, which leads me to scratch my head at Ostapenko’s remark that she expected more from Gauff.

• Like 2

What next level assholery prompts the USTA or USOpen or whomever decides, to NOT close the roof and put the AC on today?

The outside courts are outside and can benefit if only in small measure from breeze, but it shouldn't be a punishment to rise to AA stadium status.  

I'm surprised they aren't carting people off on stretchers, both spectators and players.

Just now, TVbitch said:

Ugh, I do not enjoy watching heatstroke tennis. Is it going to take a player passing out to close the roof and give them some relief. What is the big deal?! 

Jinx, lol!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The heat was cruel and unusual; mercifully, neither Medvedev nor Rublev passed out during the match, which would not have surprised me. I hope they're able to cool down and hydrate enough to get rest. I am exhausted after simply watching them.

• Like 6

A young man on my son's university hockey team suffered heat stroke during a 10k training run and nearly died from it. He was in the hospital for months and months and needed both a liver and a kidney transplant, so I know how dangerous these situations can be. I get so scared when I see these players being forced to play in unsafe conditions and shudder to think tennis won't do anything about the conditions until one of theirs suffers a serious medical emergency.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

FWIW, confirmed by the NY Times, there is no AC when the roofs are closed at the Open. There is an air circulation system to keep moisture from accumulating on the courts, since closing the roof usually increases the humidity in the stadiums. There are openings in the walls for air flow from the outside, but you need breezes, and the last week has not been windy in NY. So the decision to close the roof due to heat is complicated. The other alternative would be to postpone the matches.

• Useful 9

Well, if it's from the NYTimes...😏

Apparently, the folks that are paid big bux to broadcast this tourament are ignorant as hell (I have often suspected this), as multiple times, one or another of them referred to the AC. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure I even really considered that there would be conventional "air conditioning", as the cost to install and run it would have to be astronomical, but, there are sport stadiums that have it. Since we are apparently hurling toward the time that we shall all spontaneously combust, tptb might want to figure it out.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think Zv could've made it a competitive match against Alcaraz if he were not beat down from his sauna match again Sinner. And now Med will also not be at his best to face Alcaraz. 

Conditions for Alcaraz/Zv seemed much better with the partially closed roof (or whatever they did), so why they didn't do that sooner is beyond me. Temperatures are only going to get hotter so they need to figure something out before a player is overcome. 

Shout out to Chris Fowler for making me laugh: When Patrick was saying he wished he could speak Spanish so he'd know what Juan Carlos was saying to Alcaraz to help him finish off Zv, Chris goes... "Sweep the leg, Carlos!"   

• Like 6