Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I thought Foe's new coaching group told him to tone down the antics. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he used to be. 

Yes, he does seem to have toned it down, but sometimes when I see him, I'm still waiting for him to start acting up again.  At least he's not ripping off his shirt as much, thank goodness.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

Can anyone playing now beat Alcaraz?  I guess Djokovic would have a shot, but are they ever going to play each other?

They already have - Madrid last year. Carlos won, but it was a tight 3-setter. YMMV but I wouldn’t consider this past week as proof of Carlos being so unbeatable. Neither Sinner or Medvedev were exactly at their best in these matches.

And there was much of the “he’s beating everyone” talk last year, particularly after he beat Rafa and Djokovic back to back in Madrid and instead it was months later before he won the U.S. Open. Zverev, who he destroyed in the Madrid finals, beat him at the French Open and Jannik beat him at Wimbledon.

So all I’m saying is sure, the kid’s good - that goes without saying. But I don’t think he’s at the “no one can beat him” stage yet.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 6

This Miami open has had some great matches.  First Sinner comes from behind to beat Alcaraz last night.

And today Petra Kvitova played an amazing match to defeat Elena Rybakina, 10 years her junior, and take the title.  30th career title for Petra, and after all she has been through after the attack on her hand, it is so great to see her triumph.  The match in the first set was very dramatic with an absolutely wild 16-14 tiebreak with both players saving multiple set points, then Petra ran away with the second.   She is such a smart veteran as well as the winner of the sportsmanship award every year.   I would love to see another Wimbledon title for her.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
On 4/1/2023 at 9:16 PM, roseha said:

This Miami open has had some great matches.  First Sinner comes from behind to beat Alcaraz last night.

And today Petra Kvitova played an amazing match to defeat Elena Rybakina, 10 years her junior, and take the title.  30th career title for Petra, and after all she has been through after the attack on her hand, it is so great to see her triumph.  The match in the first set was very dramatic with an absolutely wild 16-14 tiebreak with both players saving multiple set points, then Petra ran away with the second.   She is such a smart veteran as well as the winner of the sportsmanship award every year.   I would love to see another Wimbledon title for her.

I've always liked Petra, and I was happy to see she has won.

Disappointed that Garbine is "taking a break"... she seems to be burned out, keeps losing, and basically says that she's been spending time with family and enjoying it more than she enjoys playing tennis.  Too bad, I am always hoping she will regain her form that has made her a two time Slam champion.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Djokovic losing makes any day a little brighter.

Djoko losing to the brilliant young Italian Lorenzo Musetti is the best thing to happen all year for me!  Lorenzo had been really struggling for awhile, and I hope this will give him the confidence boost he needs to keep improving.   Can't wait to watch on replay.

• Like 5
On 5/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Serena is expecting baby no.2 She debuted her baby bump at tonight’s MET Gala. Well she did say expanding her family was just one of the things she was looking forward to post-retirement.

I'm thrilled for her, her husband and soon-to-be-big-sis Olympia. 

• Like 3

Has anyone watched “Boom Boom”?  I can’t bring myself to, I would rather keep my memories of the Bobo I loved in 1987.

(If you go to the house I grew up in, and haven’t lived in since 1996, there is a Fila ad taped to a bedroom door)

Rafa held a press conference today to confirm that unsurprisingly, he will not compete at Roland Garros this year. He also confirmed that he's out for the rest of the year and that next year will likely be the end of his professional career.

His intention is to give himself the best chance to compete at all the Majors one last time and essentially have a farewell season. 

• Love 5

If that's the end, what a run.  He wouldn't be playing into his 40s, and the injuries would've hindered that, but to have done what he's done throughout his career in less time than his good friend Roger, and at the French Open, IMO, he has nothing left to prove.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Finally got Tennis Channel back. Barely recognized Coric. I see Med also has a new look. Sasha is back. Rafa is out. 😞 And JJ Wolf is the Gardner Minshew of tennis! 

I'm always glad to see that attention whore Patrick Mouratoglou on the losing side.  Meddy has certain overcome his clay demons in style!  Djokovic must be gnashing his teeth at the result that he will be seeded 3 at RG and  may draw Alcaraz in the semis.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I didn't watch the Djokovic match, so I can't comment on whatever the hell he said because I don't know about the Kosovo situation. 

The most pleasant match I watched today was Gael Monfils coming through 5 sets to win over Sebastian Baez.  Nothing against Baez, but I was elated when Monfils pulled out the win and collapsed on the court with tears of joy.  I wasn't sure he'd even make it to the end because he started cramping.  Even though I don't expect him to win his next match over that little a-hole Rune, I'm so happy he at least won his first match at the French Open.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Guardian Article on Djokovic written comment

So apparently Djokovic waded into nationalist controversy by writing (on the camera lens after his first round match) something anti the current independent government in Kosovo.  I know NOTHING about the current situation, so don’t know if this is reasonable, egregious, something else.  Can anyone here fill us in?

It's far from a perfect analogy, but a way to contextualize this is to say that Serbia is to Kosovo as Russia is to Ukraine.  Religion is a big reason why Kosovo declared independence from Serbia since Kosovo is a majority Muslim country, but it still has similarities to the Russia/Ukraine relationship.  It wasn't as overtly bellicose, but Djoker's message is similar to the instance when that one Russian gymnast wore a Z on the medal stand right after the war broke out.  He had won a bronze medal on parallel bars, and a Ukrainian gymnast had won the gold.  It was very hostile and awful, and what Djoker did was basically a more passive-aggressive version of that.  So, it's 137,000% more of the same from this fucking asshole.

I hope he tears his ACL.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 5
33 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Nice to watch Muchova quietly, methodically take down a particularly shrieky Sabalenka. Good, tense match. And now the final will be nice and peaceful! 

I was happy with that result as well as I cannot stand the overly loud players. It's one thing if someone is exhausted, it's hot, or a lot of effort point, and it's occasional, but the constant grunting or shrieking is ridiculous.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Can't stand Sabalenka. Glad she's gone. 

Team Iga!

For the most part, good thing she's gone.  Emphasis on "MOST" meaning there would've been one reason to be okay with a win over Muchova. 

Had she survived, that would have been okay since the follow up would've been a championship double bagel at her expense

5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

You would think, after some point in the day, they would let the upper seats come down to the fill empty seats. 

I remember going to the US Open on Labor Day weekend some years ago and they were fine or at least all right with us moving down to the better seats after a while.  Of course maybe it's different for a semi?  But I think they mainly want the fans to stop moving.

So why do the umpires sometimes say "quarante all" and sometimes "egalite" when calling deuce? 

• Like 1

To be honest, it probably wasn't easy to get super mad.  Mad on a basic level?  Sure, but Novak wasn't really (that) close to losing.  Maybe the guy will win another four majors before getting beat left & right as father time reigns supreme; FWIW, a Nadal-less French Open is really not that great

• Like 1

Ah, I found myself really rooting for Muchova. She certainly had her chances, but still great result for her. It was a pleasure to watch a close match that was exciting without players shrieking, playing to the crowd, and being overly dramatic. 

The big question: Is it Mu Kov ah (Tennis Channel) or Moo hoo vah (NBC). 😁

• Like 4

It’s hard to watch a match when you like both players and are rooting for both. I felt a tiny bit like like Oracene Williams. In the end, I am glad that Iga pulled it out and I love when the ladies take it to three sets. I have a feeling Karolina has a major title in her future. 

Im not sure if I’ll watch tomorrow’s men’s final. No disrespect to Casper but if Novaxx wins 23, the smuggery poorly disguised as faux humility will be unbearable. And you just know he’ll have a jacket ready. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

i will try to watch part of the men's final tomorrow, maybe not the whole thing as sometimes the RG men's final drags out for hours.  I will definitely root for Casper - granted he may only have about a 5 to 10 percent chance of winning but you never know.   He's such a nice guy and as this is his third major final it would be cool if he could finally grab one.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Barf. 

12 minutes ago, janeyjay said:

My sentiments exacty.

I was literally about to type the same thing. 🤮🤢

Predictably, he put on the 23 jacket he had made for today. His arrogance knows no bounds. 

I don’t care how many majors he has won or has yet to win in the future, he will never be the champions Federer and Nadal are. They are the GOATs in every aspect of the sport, not just in titles. Class acts all the way versus Novaxx with his faking fatigue, faking injuries, whining to officials (including arguing with today’s chair umpire and this after he was given extra time to serve), his problematic stances, bending or thwarting rules as it suits him, his not just cheering himself on but his playing to the crowd to “love him” and being very much all about himself vs giving back to the sport and society the way Fed and Rafa have. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 9

It was like Novak bingo:

1. Makes it seem like opponent has a chance.
  2. Fake humility.
  3. Pretends to get tired.
  4. So obvious he will win commentators stop calling the match and just tell gratuitous stories about Novak.
  5. Big shot in his box (Tom Brady).
  6. Chastises umpire for rushing him.
  7. 23 jacket standing by.
  8. Pretends to cry. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

I'm glad I didn't watch that crapfest. 

I think he knows that most people figured he'd eventually pass Nadal's record but don't give a crap about that, and he will never be the GOAT.   So, enjoy your numbers, Djokabitch. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
On 6/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Perhaps Karma is at play. 

Wishing serious injury and celebrating death can do that sometimes.

I was exaggerating for effect, which I thought was pretty obvious.  However, if we want to be serious:

If karma were real, Pat Robertson would've died long ago; he was an evil bigot who used religion to spread hate throughout his life, and the world is a slightly better place without him in it.

Djoker fans cannot claim any moral high ground.  The man has spent his career mocking his fellow tennis players, cheating in various ways on and off the court, defending abusive assholes like Justin Gimelstob, espousing various dangerous conspiracy theories, and promoting an authoritarian regime's bellicose claim to another country's territory and people.  As @CountryGirl stated, he has been as terrible an ambassador for the sport of tennis as Roger and Rafa, to whom he will inexorably be compared for the rest of his life, have been magnificent.

I suppose if there is some semblance of karma – which I do not believe in, particularly, but understand why others do – in the end, it's this: Djoker is only a hero in his own mind and among a small (but vocal) segment of tennis fandom, but he thinks he's the hero everywhere; that's his tragic flaw.  The majority of tennis fans have seen how he's conducted himself time and time again and how these other two men have conducted themselves time and time again, assessed what we value about this sport we love, and have decided, "We're good.  We have our heroes, and you are not among them."  He has 23 Grand Slam titles, and likely will retire with a number higher than that, but because of how he conducted himself on the road to amassing those titles, they will always be the emblems of what he really wants and will never receive: public adoration.

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4