Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I was really disappointed for Coco Gauff.  I thought she had a good chance at winning it all.  But good for Jelena Ostapenko, with all of her first and second round Slam exits, it seemed like she was going to be another Michael Chang, wins the French Open at a very young age but then never wins another ever again.

She looked almost unrecognisable to me.  It's only been about 5 years since her French victory and she seemed like she has put on some significant weight.  Not sure she has had any medical issues, but if so, they apparently haven't hampered her in this tournament.

I hope the women's winner comes from the top half of the draw, namely I'd love to see Jessica Pegula, Vika Azarenka, or Ostapenko win.  I really don't like Pliskova, and I'm not really excited about the other three names remaining in the bottom half.

• Like 4

Bummed for Korda. But I like Karen too. Is it still considered bad form to retire if you can finish the match. I mean, I get why Sebi retired, but I can't help but think that at just three games from the end, Rafa or Fed would have finished that match. Maybe the sentiment is changing about that. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TVbitch said:

Bummed for Korda. But I like Karen too. Is it still considered bad form to retire if you can finish the match. I mean, I get why Sebi retired, but I can't help but think that at just three games from the end, Rafa or Fed would have finished that match. Maybe the sentiment is changing about that. 

I like them both and it always amuses and amazes me to see how much Karen resembles Liam Hemsworth. 

From what I understand, Sebi injured it early in the 2nd set and was worried that he'd do more harm than good to finish. I think it's good that folks listen to their bodies and bow out vs trying to finish off a set/match that could delay healing or, worse, cause irreparable harm. 

• Like 6

I tend to agree, @CountryGirl. I was just remembering how much shit we used to give Dj for retiring! 🤣 It seems like in earlier times it was expected that the players should push through if they possibly could (for the crowd, the other player, and for some kind of vague "toughness" standard that professional athletes are supposed to have), but now that seems to be shifting toward health taking a priority.   

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I tend to agree, @CountryGirl. I was just remembering how much shit we used to give Dj for retiring! 🤣 It seems like in earlier times it was expected that the players should push through if they possibly could (for the crowd, the other player, and for some kind of vague "toughness" standard that professional athletes are supposed to have), but now that seems to be shifting toward health taking a priority.   

Considering Djoker has played at being injured/sick, IDGAF about him.

#doublestandarddon'tcare

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

I was surprised, given the bans on displays of Russian and Belarus flags at the Open, to see the Belarus flag next to Azarenka’s name on the screen during the ESPN coverage. Especially puzzling given that I’m pretty sure Sabalenka just had a white space next to her name.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Well, Stefanos did have moments of brilliance during his semi, and maybe he will mature, and, to my knowledge he hasn't punched anyone in the face or been associated with war criminals, so I feel okay about rooting for him! 

I had to laugh at Dj making fun of Stehanos' hair during his on-court interview. Jealous much?! 

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Well, Stefanos did have moments of brilliance during his semi, and maybe he will mature, and, to my knowledge he hasn't punched anyone in the face or been associated with war criminals, so I feel okay about rooting for him! 

I had to laugh at Dj making fun of Stehanos' hair during his on-court interview. Jealous much?! 

Rooting for Tsis is rooting against Novaxx, so it works out for me.

Novaxx is such a petty little man. I'm sure it crushes him to know that no matter how many majors he wins, he will never be as beloved as Roger or Rafa or the others who came before them. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

Wow, this may be one of those rare slams where the women's final is more exciting than the mens. Excellent match. I was rooting for Ryba cuz she has that calm QUIET game. But Sabby has put in the work and I am happy for her. Her emotion and charm after the match won me over. 

Now lets hope Stefanos can bring equal intensity to Dj and claim his first slam! 

• Like 7

Those of you who have ESPN plus, you may want to watch the replay of the men's doubles final, in which the fun and likeable Aussie Wildcards Rinky Hijikata and Jason Kubler took the title.   I watched their semi and will be sure to catch the final on replay.  Great story.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, roseha said:

Those of you who have ESPN plus, you may want to watch the replay of the men's doubles final, in which the fun and likeable Aussie Wildcards Rinky Hijikata and Jason Kubler took the title.   I watched their semi and will be sure to catch the final on replay.  Great story.

And if you don’t have ESPN+, Tennis Channel will be replaying it at 6 pm eastern today!

• Like 1

Oh dear. Well, um, okay, I must admit Dj's swoon collapse after the match put old Southern Belles everywhere to shame and made me laugh. OMG, so over the top! Stephanos was gracious in his speech, but his face burned with the fury of a thousand suns. 

In his speech, Dj told Stephanos (again) that he was an interesting guy (what with that hair and all) and to basically cheer up cuz Stephanos had more years left to play than Dj, so at some point Stephanos will have a chance to win. 

PS. I think it is rude to your opponent to throw on a jacket that says "22" on it right after the match, like, I already had this ready to go, cuz let's face it, you really didn't stand a chance! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I gotta agree; the 22 jacket could've waited.  But I didn't have a problem with it in general.  It really isn't even that special.  Maybe in a couple years if Novak wins 2 more a "12" jacket would be okay (or 25-26).  However, he's done well in Australia.  I'm not going to compare it Rafe's French dominance; it sorta lacked respect toward Stephanos whereas a win total in the venue of the event would have been, IMO, less offensive

Djoker, don’t quit your day job as that was some of the worst acting ever. 

The 22 jacket. What a smug douche. Did Rafa do that? Or Roger when he tied Sampras at 14 or overtook him at 15? No, because they are class acts. Making fun of Stefanos’ hair again. The epitome of a sore winner.

I had to mute my TV with the discussion of some of the commentators (shut up Patrick MacEnroe) and Novaxx himself about his hardships. His “hardships” were the result of his poor choices. Totally self-imposed. Thank goodness for Chris Fowler pointing that out.

Here’s to hoping Rafa has another French in him and the men who’ve shown promise to step up at Wimbledon. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

I just saw a blurb that Matteo Berrettini as well as his brother Jacopo have both advanced at the Mexican Open.  I didn't even know he had a brother that played tennis.  I looked up Jacopo, and wow, these two don't look like brothers at all.  Matteo is classic dark Italian looks while Jacopo is blonde and blue eyed. One must take after the father while the other takes after the mother.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Hey people!!  No one watching or talking about Indian Wells!  It seems so "Mickey Mouse" this year.  No commentating from James Blake & the rest of them are so vanilla (& British).  I'm happy Medvedev is doing well & thrilled that Mohamed Lahyani is calling more than one match a day???!!!

• Like 1

I've been watching off and on, depending on who's playing.  I was glad Wawrinka beat that snotty kid Rune yesterday, and CoCo won a tough match today.  Looking forward to seeing Tiafoe and Alcaraz later this evening.  Wawrinka plays Sinner this evening, so I'm torn but I'll root for Sinner.

• Like 1

I'm not watching much tennis lately. If it isn't Djerk they're talking about constantly it's Alcaraz and I can't stand either one of them. I guess my tennis days are pretty much over but that's all right. It's just not the same without Rafa. And even Fed.  🤔

• Like 1

The ending of that Meddy/Tiafoe match was just wild! Frances saving 7 match points was crazy, I guess Med was grateful to get that ace on the final match point.

I stayed tuned in for the Alcaraz/Sinner match and though I hoped it would also be a wild one after their US Open clash, it was pretty much a letdown after the first set, Carlos went on to dominate.  I have to say though that I just hate the new legalized coaching rule.   Juan Carlos was shouting instructions out to Carlos loudly in the game where he first broke Sinner.  He was so loud that I really think that ought to be considered a hindrance.  But Sinner's box was shouting too.  I notice that you don't hear this so much from the boxes of the more experienced players overall, though the crowd was incredibly noisy in the Med/Tiafoe match.  But I think it's a terrible rule change and it probably won't be kept to just once in a while as the rule supposedly is written.

I do think Meddy/Carlos will be a good final so will have to watch that one.

• Like 4

Who was the blonde actress the camera honed in on.  I know her, but her name escapes me.  Also, Pink was there too.

Edited to add:  It was Charlize Theron (looking absolutely gorgeous).

Edited by Medicine Crow
4 hours ago, roseha said:

I have to say though that I just hate the new legalized coaching rule.   Juan Carlos was shouting instructions out to Carlos loudly in the game where he first broke Sinner.  He was so loud that I really think that ought to be considered a hindrance. 

I so agree with you. It's completely changed the game. I don't have much respect for the player's ability if they can't figure out how to win a match without the coach constantly telling them what to do. I didn't hear Darren Cahill shouting much more than the usual cheering and encouragement that's always been allowed.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, roseha said:

Juan Carlos was shouting instructions out to Carlos loudly in the game where he first broke Sinner.  He was so loud that I really think that ought to be considered a hindrance.  But Sinner's box was shouting too. 

Like another posted noted, I actually don't remember hearing Darren and company too much. That's not to say they weren't vocal a few times but I think in comparison to how excessive it was with Juan Carlos, Darren and company didn't really stand out to me much. 

It definitely was a bit much with Juan Carlos at one point. Like the second Alcaraz had two mishits in a row, he was there shouting out instructions and directions. Between that and Carlos' excessive fist pumping, it is becoming a bit of a turnoff watching him play. 

I still like Carlos well enough, because he still has yet, in my opinion, to say or do anything truly egregious. He is very complimentary of his opponents and overall seems perfectly pleasant off court. But yeah the showboating, now coupled with Juan Carlos' constant coaching on the sidelines is becoming bit much. 

Given a choice, I definitely am more of fan of Sinner's than Carlos. But Darren and company need to do some serious work to help Jannik get that serve a bit more under control. Way too many loose errors and easy gifts to Carlos in that match. But I'm definitely a fan of his overall game and style and even how he can be so ice-cold at times, while you have the Carlos or Tiafoe's of the world, constantly fist pumping and seeking crowd adulation. 

That said, I am curious to see Medvedev vs. Carlos, especially as Medvedev has clearly gotten his mojo back after a disappointing 2022 season, after losing the Australian Open. I think this is their first match up since Alcaraz truly came into his own. So should be interesting. And we know Med gives zero fucks about the crowd not being on his side in a match.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Sinner, Alcaraz and Tiafoe are my favorite younger generation players, but I agree that the latter two need to calm the hell down with their on court antics.  I love how ice cold Sinner is, so he's my favorite of the three. 

• Like 1