Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I haven't paid much attention to tennis for some time now, and am just getting back into it.  How long have they been doing this scoring thing I'm seeing in Wimbledon, where you only see the score for the current set? I can't get used to it.

1 hour ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I haven't paid much attention to tennis for some time now, and am just getting back into it.  How long have they been doing this scoring thing I'm seeing in Wimbledon, where you only see the score for the current set? I can't get used to it.

I don't know what you mean. They show the score for all sets, including any completed ones. 🤷

Image7-6-23at6_36PM.jpeg.f9b249067b10b79a2d729e141cfd1686.jpeg

This is the fourth set of a match. The green column shows that Rublev won 2 sets and Karatsev has won 1. The blue column shows that in this current set, Karatsev is ahead 3 to 2. The white column shows that Rublev is ahead in this current game, 15/ love.  There is nothing here telling us how those first three sets went.  Did anyone win a set 6 to 0? Was there a thrilling tie break in the 3rd set where Rublev could have had match point? We don't know.

I was really rooting for Thiem, so close. Nice to see Stan bringing it. Ruud must have been tired. Bummer for Fritz. 

So many scary slips and falls. I wonder what the stats are on injuries by surface.  

41 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Image7-6-23at6_36PM.jpeg.f9b249067b10b79a2d729e141cfd1686.jpeg

This is the fourth set of a match. The green column shows that Rublev won 2 sets and Karatsev has won 1. The blue column shows that in this current set, Karatsev is ahead 3 to 2. The white column shows that Rublev is ahead in this current game, 15/ love.  There is nothing here telling us how those first three sets went.  Did anyone win a set 6 to 0? Was there a thrilling tie break in the 3rd set where Rublev could have had match point? We don't know.

Oh, I was referring to ESPN's graphics. I've noticed that some graphics elsewhere are doing the total set tallies rather than scores for each set. 

I took the photo from ESPN+ coverage.  At the end of the match they show you all the sets, though.

32 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

So many scary slips and falls. I wonder what the stats are on injuries by surface.

It's a bit early for that. Usually, it's the second week when the grass has worn away. I guess the rain was the culprit.

42 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Wow!  Eubanks did it again! 😄

So, so happy for him!!!

Too bad, so sad, Sissypas. I'm still annoyed that they ended for curfew a good 20-some minutes early when Andy was thisclose to beating him, killing his momentum. IMO.

• Like 4

Watched Alcaraz/Berrettini.  I like Carlos, but I like Matteo more.  He was able to pull off the first set but then made errors at inopportune times and couldn't capitalise on some of his chances.

I'm hoping Carlos makes it to the final as he is the one with the best chance to beat Djokovic.

Why is it that the top half still has more big names but the bottom half seems like people are falling all over themselves to get out of Djokovic's way?  Bottom half seems so much easier, particularly since Ruud at #4 wouldn't haven't been #4 if Wimbledon still took grass court performance into consideration.

• Like 3

I’m bummed my pretty, pretty Matteo lost although I like Carlitos, too. Let’s hope he’s over the nerves should he face Novaxx in the final. If he gets to 24, tying Court, his smuggary will know no bounds. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Watched Alcaraz/Berrettini.  I like Carlos, but I like Matteo more.  He was able to pull off the first set but then made errors at inopportune times and couldn't capitalise on some of his chances.

I'm hoping Carlos makes it to the final as he is the one with the best chance to beat Djokovic.

Why is it that the top half still has more big names but the bottom half seems like people are falling all over themselves to get out of Djokovic's way?  Bottom half seems so much easier, particularly since Ruud at #4 wouldn't haven't been #4 if Wimbledon still took grass court performance into consideration.

I was sad for Berrettini also, though he has played so little this year that I guess it was bound to catch up with him.   Let's hope he has better luck staying healthy in the future. 

Yes the draw is really disappointing in Djokovic's section.  He could have gotten the wildly unpredictable Alexander Bublik - who actually just won in Queens -  in the next round but instead will get Andrei Rublev, who I think has the kind of game that will not trouble Novak at all.  Just no justice sometimes.

Oh and I just have to join in on the big congrats to Chris Eubanks!  What a story. and for anyone who doesn't know he is also an excellent commentator on TC  -which he totally showed in his after match interview.

Edited by roseha
added new paragraph
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I was sad for Berrettini also, though he has played so little this year that I guess it was bound to catch up with him.   Let's hope he has better luck staying healthy in the future. 

Yes the draw is really disappointing in Djokovic's section.  He could have gotten the wildly unpredictable Alexander Bublik - who actually just won in Queens -  in the next round but instead will get Andrei Rublev, who I think has the kind of game that will not trouble Novak at all.  Just no justice sometimes.

Oh and I just have to join in on the big congrats to Chris Eubanks!  What a story. and for anyone who doesn't know he is also an excellent commentator on TC  -which he totally showed in his after match interview.

Yep.  I was hoping for the dangerous Bublik.  But instead, it's Rublev.  Rublev is one of those players that Djokovic can glance at just once and he will crumple instantly.  I feel like Sinner would crumple as well.

I like Eubanks, he seems like an intelligent young man.  I saw him interviewed in the studio over the weekend and he said that doing commentary has helped to improve his game.  Too bad he's in Alcaraz's half.

• Like 4
(edited)

Yay, Ons!  Boy, that match was looking like she had no chance.

Sorry Svitolina didn’t win.  I didn’t watch that one.  What happened?

I really hope this is a sustainable level for Eubanks.  I love his game, and he’s incredibly likable.

And because it can’t be said often enough: ANYBODY BUT FUCKFACE ... er ... DJOKOVIC!

And in case we need a reminder of the biggest reason many of us despise Djokovic: ND Pictured with Ex-Commander of Paramilitary Unit linked to Srebrenica genocide

Edited by Harry24
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4

First unseeded to advance in about 60 years, but IMO & TBH, it (probably) helped Marketa that Iga couldn't get it done earlier in the week.

I guess Jannik has one job!

I'm also hoping that Eubanks takes things to the next level.  I hope it's not one & done.  I'm not saying he needs to become the next Roger or Nadal, or on the US front, the next Serena or Andre or Pete.  Just a half-handful of wins would be great, as I imagine the field will prevail in the aftermath of Novak

• Like 6

So disappointed for Svitolina, she seemed to be out of fight. Are those tattoos on Vonderosa's arms? I only caught the very end of the match and could not tell if those were some kind of medical markings or a bunch of tattoos or what?

Whew, Ons! She really held it together and I'm thrilled she prevailed. I have to say, I do not care for Chris Everet's commentary ~especially when she favors someone in the match, which in this case was Sabelenka. 

• Like 6

No offense to anyone, but I think Wimbledon needs to get more flattering clothing for the linespeople, or, um, linespeople who wear Ralph Lauren better.

Was rooting for Svitolina and Jabeur, at least I got one.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, khyber said:

Come on Sinner, save us.

please-begging.gif

If not him, then I hope it's Carlitos over Danil and then, Carlitos getting vengeance/redemption/whatever it takes for the French Open final by beating Joke in the final. I want that 24 jacket to stay in the bag and hopefully never to see the light of day.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Congrats to Marketa - being the first unseeded woman to win Wimbledon in the Open Era. 

I feel so badly for Ons. The hopes of a country and continent on her shoulders and so many tough matches. I have every confidence she’ll hoist this and other GS trophies above her head someday soon. 

• Like 12

I feel really sad for Ons.  I hope she gets to have her day soon.  She went through so many tough opponents just to get there.  

Really hope Carlitos can do it tomorrow.

• Like 7

That was tough to watch. It was nice to see the Princess of Wales console Ons.

I don't know what was going on in her mind throughout the match, but Ons has really unfortunate "resting devestation face". I think she needs to learn to hide that a bit better from opponents, as I'm sure that gives them confidence. 

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Carey said:

Right now, if you're hoping for a positive day for Carlos?  Maybe read a book or find something else to do today

I can’t bear to watch.  I know the lopsided score, but what’s going on?  Is Carlos collapsing?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Harry24 said:

I can’t bear to watch.  I know the lopsided score, but what’s going on?  Is Carlos collapsing?

I forgot the exact quote McEnroe said, but it was on the lines of "not being prepared" or something like that.  Just simply not being focused or ready when it was gametime

I’m chalking up the first set to nerves and honestly, Joke is notorious for seeming to let the first set go to give his opponents a false sense of “I can do this.” So this is a change that Joke won the first set. Could Carlos be turning those kind games around on him? Maybe that and maybe some understandable nerves.

Carlos took the 2nd set in a tiebreak and is up 5-1 in the third after breaking Joke in an epic game to go up 4-1 that I lost count of how many deuces there were.  He is showing he’s here to win. 

ETA: Carlos just took the 3rd set 6-1. So it’s one set to go for Carlos to win his first Wimbledon. Two for Joke. Of course, he could come roaring back but this is no repeat of the French. 

• Like 1

I think I was blissfully unaware of this stupid patch until now. Why is he so willing to believe this shit but not vaccines? From https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariannajohnson/2023/07/13/what-to-know-about-djokovics-nano-patch-and-why-some-experts-call-it-pseudoscience/ :

Tao Technologies claims the device converts the body’s heat into “microscopic beams of light,” that are then used to allegedly stimulate the central nervous system.

... [the cofounder claimed the patch] contains nanocrystals made out of quantum dots, which convert the body’s heat into “wavelengths of light” that’s emitted into the central nervous system and helps “bring it into balance.”

Djokovic has also been gluten-free for several years, but an unscientific test by a doctor is what led to his decision: The tennis star held a piece of bread in one hand, placed it against his stomach and lifted his other arm, which felt weak, causing the doctor to recommend cutting gluten out of his diet.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18535-1432289931-10

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, Carey said:

Right now, if you're hoping for a positive day for Carlos?  Maybe read a book or find something else to do today

For those that took this advice...I apologize!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 5