Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Child Star

Cranberry

For everyone saying "Hooray, an episode that didn't have the old cast hanging around, it's so unrealistic" - REALLY?!?!? You've invested six years in this show and what you want in the final episodes is to watch MYRON? The new-newbies are mostly nice enough, but if they're going to exist, they should be background characters only here to serve closing the stories of the actual cast. The whole Myron plot and character were such a waste of time. 

On paper I totally agree with you. In practice, I've found the last few weeks to be a slog. They introduced these guys in the first two episodes of the season and then treated them like extras, and it turns out they're pretty charming! (Not Myron.) If the first batch of new kids had been their own characters instead of pale imitations of the originals, maybe the series' descent into awfulness would have been slower. I just wish the balance were different. Focus on Rachel as a teacher to the new kids, peppered with checking in on the alumni, instead of two whole episodes of Jig-Sue. Save the reunions for Homecoming and the finale, maybe the wedding in the middle. This had some life to it, instead of rehashing stuff from six years ago.

• Love 2

I can't say anything nice about Myron except that that kid CAN seriously dance.

Agreed. He, Matt, and Becca were the only ones in this story line who could actually dance. Maybe that's why all the choreography was bad.

Agreed. He, Matt, and Becca were the only ones in this story line who could actually dance. Maybe that's why all the choreography was bad.

As weak that the choreography was, I appreciated that most of them, especially Dot and the actors who play Mason and Spencer looked like they were having fun.  That's the kind of thing that made me like this show originally.

As weak that the choreography was, I appreciated that most of them, especially Dot and the actors who play Mason and Spencer looked like they were having fun.  That's the kind of thing that made me like this show originally.

That was Mason and Spencer having fun? I thought they were constipated!

That was Mason and Spencer having fun? I thought they were constipated!

*Shrug*.  YMMV.

I will say the costuming was bizarre and pulled focus.  Sue was in a track suit (because of course she was), Sheldon, Will, and Sam had sequined jackets, but Mason, Spencer, and Roderick had vests, the girls all had sequined dresses, except for Rachel who also had a jacket.

• Love 1
(edited)

Roderick has said he never acted before Glee and it shows. He scenes come across as so stiff and literally just reading his lines phonetically, I mean, it's the Carrie Underwood ' Sound of Music' level of stiff.

The two male gays, never ever seen the hipster and now suddenly we have to buy about their chemistry so that was awkward.

Surprised about the Mason character, thought the actor would be stronger. Madison is better in their scenes.

Jane love her singing but her dancing moves are already getting shoulder shimmy repetitive.

Edited by caracas1914

I have not watched all year. My daughter records it, so I decided to watch this week. All I can say.... What the HELL was that?

They need to stop - right now. This is terrible.

• Love 2

Roderick has said he never acted before Glee and it shows. He scenes come across as so stiff and literally just reading his lines phonetically, I mean, it's the Carrie Underwood ' Sound of Music' level of stiff.

Carrie Underwood was better, thats how bad he is. I have seriously no idea why they hired him, I mean even those who like his voice say it's not that special. And I know this sounds awful, but he wasn't hired for the pretty. 

You know what I might have actually enjoyed a storyline about a gay jock had he been played by Blake Jenner. 

• Love 2

The one sacred cow the show has is the straight jock.  Unlike the gay male, straight female, bi female, etc, they can never ever experiment.   It's the chicken shit reason they dropped the Ryder/Unique catfishing story and why Finn/Sam/Mike/Puck/Ryder, etc were so 'set".

My guess it has to do with how Ryan was scarred by all the "dating" he did with supposely straight football jocks  back in 70's Indiana where he claimed to be "popular" in High School.   I guess that's one definition of popular.

A few late comments:

First - I like the new characters (well, except for the dick gay athlete, since I still haven't seen any reason why I should like him), but I didn't want a show entirely devoted to them.  What I WOULD have liked is seeing these various stories play out in in small scenes over the last few weeks, so that we felt like we got to know them.  AND, since I don't think anyone is tuned in for the new kids, then you'd have some space for at least one storyline featuring the originals so we got to see them as well.  

Do not care about Spencer/Gay Crush.  Again, might have been nice to see Gay Crush before this episode, even if he never spoke.  I also thought the Madison/Mason resolution was nice - but since I thought the Incest Twins schtick was funny, I kinda wish they had saved their 'break up' for later in the season.  Although maybe we'll still get some Incest Twins humor.  And again, a few more scenes building up that that there was something between Jane and Mason would have been nice, because I like them together as well.

That being said, I thought the rope climbing scene was the tiredest, saddest form of bad television.  A scene where you know what's going to happen, so I just fast forwarded: of course that guy was going to miraculously going to climb it.  Lame, lame, lame - and wha'ts even worse as far as I'm concerned, BORING.  You know what would have been interesting or funny?  If maybe the scene got all that set up so you're expecting the success -- and then he FAILED.  If you want a lesson, then maybe he and Spencer work together anyway and find a way to rescue Myron. Or, EVEN BETTER, it's a body positivity message that not everyone needs to be so physically fit that they can climb that fucking rope! Anything but asking us to believe that Roderick could climb that rope by sheer willpower.  Just lame, lame, lame. 

I also realized I am actually going to miss this show, because I watched the preview without thinking, realized my favorite (Santana) wasn't in it, and deflated. And then remembered "Santana's never going to be on again."  I mean, I am happy with how they left Santana, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see her again.

• Love 1

Or Chord Overstreet, if they hadn't chickened out on their original plans for Sam.

Still wish they had gone the Sam/Kurt route back in S2. Could have spared us all the horrible Klaine drama.

Still wish they had gone the Sam/Kurt route back in S2. Could have spared us all the horrible Klaine drama.

With the caveat that I haven't watched the show regularly since S3, I didn't mind Klaine so much at first.  It's just as it went on it became readily apparent that Colfer and Criss can't stand each other, and neither is talented enough to keep it from bleeding over into his performance.

It's just as it went on it became readily apparent that Colfer and Criss can't stand each other,

I'm not at all sure this is true, but I know a lot of fans (and the bitter Kurt stans) assumed it when Chris stopped promoting Klaine, because of the heavy tinhatting of him and Darren (incidentally this was just discussed in the Fandoms thread), and when it became apparent to him that the SL for Kurt will be heavily about the relationship  - while he's always been more interested in individuality. 

Still wish they had gone the Sam/Kurt route back in S2. Could have spared us all the horrible Klaine drama.I

I don' see any guarantee it wouldn't have degenerated into the same stinking pile, had Sam been the "soulmate" LI for Kurt. It's not so much which character is with Kurt, but that RIB are unable to write and sustain relationships well. They'd put Sam/Kurt through the same kind of hoops as they did with Klaine, I'm sure. 

• Love 2

I'm not at all sure this is true, but I know a lot of fans (and the bitter Kurt stans) assumed it when Chris stopped promoting Klaine, because of the heavy tinhatting of him and Darren (incidentally this was just discussed in the Fandoms thread), and when it became apparent to him that the SL for Kurt will be heavily about the relationship  - while he's always been more interested in individuality. 

I don't remember where I saw it (and I even less remember why I watched it) but there were a few videos of Criss and Colfer being interviewed and talking just about about the conspiracy theories, and they never looked at each other once.  Maybe that's a chicken-or-egg scenario, because they're just so used to not being able to associate too much because of the crazies.

I don't know, I'm more interested in real male/male couples that are able to be out and about in public as opposed to any supposed moonlight assignations that people have projected onto actors.

I don' see any guarantee it wouldn't have degenerated into the same stinking pile, had Sam been the "soulmate" LI for Kurt. It's not so much which character is with Kurt, but that RIB are unable to write and sustain relationships well. They'd put Sam/Kurt through the same kind of hoops as they did with Klaine, I'm sure. 

No one should date on a Ryan Murphy show. Although at least on AHS, that soulmate crap is gone, which is one way his other work is superior. Granted, AHS sucks, but the ways in which is sucks are more tolerable to me 

(edited)

there were a few videos of Criss and Colfer being interviewed and talking just about about the conspiracy theories, and they never looked at each other once.  Maybe that's a chicken-or-egg scenario, because they're just so used to not being able to associate too much because of the crazies.

For the life of me I don't get this particular demand that they look at each other (it's not so much directed at you specifically). They are being interviewed and will look mostly at the interviewer. They are also very different in temperament. Darren is clearly very extroverted and likes attention and will seek it, while Chris seems more of an introvert, and his method of seeking attention is mostly verbal. I'm sure there is also this heightened self-awareness, especially on Chris's part, because he's long known how their every gesture and look in each other's presence is examined to shreds, misconstrued, and re-construed depending on whether one wants to prove they hate each other, or that they're secretly dating. 

I just think they are very different personalities, and that people sometimes don't realise that. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 4

For the life of me I don't get this particular demand that they look at each other (it's not so much directed at you specifically). They are being interviewed and will look mostly at the interviewer. They are also very different in temperament. Darren is clearly very extroverted and likes attention and will seek it, while Chris seems more of an introvert, and his method of seeking attention is mostly verbal. I'm sure there is also this heightened self-awareness, especially on Chris's part, because he's long known how their every gesture and look in each other's presence is examined to shreds, misconstrued, and re-construed depending on whether one wants to prove they hate each other, or that they're secretly dating. 

I'm only going to say that I have a much easier time believing that they hate each other.  I don't feel the need to defend that by doing a detailed scene by scene analysis of the entire show, because ultimately, it's just a hunch that has no greater bearing on my well-being than anything else about Glee.

I expect that in 10-15 years, someone in the cast (my money's on Kevin McHale) is going to write one hell of a tell-all book.

I'm only going to say that I have a much easier time believing that they hate each other.

I'd say the easiest time to have is not to have any belief about what their relationship is, or anyone else's from the cast for that matter.  

(edited)

Whatever the actors are feeling about Klaine, the coupling has no apparent heat on screen. YMMV though.

I had to remind myself that Blaine and Kurt got married last episode and were presumably on their honeymoon during this episode because their wedding was so unmemorable I had actually forgotten it had happened.

I think this was a little noob heavy so that the Originals felt tacked on. Then again the Originals always feel tacked on to their old highschool Glee Club so I guess it's just a thing that never sits well for me.

If only the Originals had some sort of bond with the new kids that made them feel more attached to their success or failure instead of ... "This is the place we all met and exchanged various body fluids throughout highschool oh hey new kids, we don't know you but hey want to boost the ego of your 20 year old teacher or be subjected to a random marriage proposal... SHH don't speak we don't care who you are. Here's a random assignment, go now so we can go back to talking about ourselves now. Thanks."

The most depressing thing is this Glee Club will probably end up winning by default because the other teams are run by morons/last minute replacements now.

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 1

The most depressing thing is this Glee Club will probably end up winning by default because all the other teams are run by morons now.

The only way I buy this Glee club winning any kind of competition is if it happens a la Drop Dead Gorgeous. 

• Love 3

The only way I buy this Glee club winning any kind of competition is if it happens a la Drop Dead Gorgeous. 

Perhaps Sue will dose the snacks with laxatives in the last episode to try and rid herself of the Glee Club and instead they bring their own snacks and the other teams come down with a crippling case of the shits. It would seem like a fitting victory for Rachel and her team of her misfits to win without putting in any great effort.

Wasn't there a thing before Sectionals ? Or is Sectionals the city wide event ?

• Love 1

I have absolutely no idea. That's how little the Glee Competitions have meant to me over the last 6 years.

Why are we trying to make it make sense?  I mean, Vocal Adrenaline is supposed to be their biggest rival, and they're close enough that Will can take a job coaching them without seeming to abandon his family, yet they were never in competition against them in Sectionals...

You know what, this is too much.  I'm just going to walk away before I give myself an aneurysm.

Perhaps Sue will dose the snacks with laxatives in the last episode to try and rid herself of the Glee Club and instead they bring their own snacks and the other teams come down with a crippling case of the shits.

I literally snorted out my nose at this. . . perhaps Sue can come out on her tricycle with Sheldon/Shannon riding on the back (why would Shannon pick a dumb name like Sheldon?) Make sure little Myron gets a big handful of shit snacks, will ya?

• Love 1

I will say the costuming was bizarre and pulled focus.  Sue was in a track suit (because of course she was), Sheldon, Will, and Sam had sequined jackets, but Mason, Spencer, and Roderick had vests, the girls all had sequined dresses, except for Rachel who also had a jacket.

Faculty (including Rachel) were wearing blazers. Male students in vests and female students in dresses. It actually kind of almost made sense, for Glee anyway.  

Why are we trying to make it make sense?  I mean, Vocal Adrenaline is supposed to be their biggest rival, and they're close enough that Will can take a job coaching them without seeming to abandon his family, yet they were never in competition against them in Sectionals...

You know what, this is too much.  I'm just going to walk away before I give myself an aneurysm.

We watch Glee. Obviously we're gluttons for punishment.

I was just curious how important Sectionals were supposed to be. I'm just going to pretend it's a qualifier and move on to wondering if any of this is leading to something.

I know people who travel 6 hours+ to and from work everyday. They have a young family who they didn't want to remove from their community/ school ect yet the best job they could get was in a distant city. A 3 hour commute is pretty common in my experience, which Is a reasonable estimate as being the journey that Will would have to take to get to Carmel high school in a different sectionals district.

I think Sectionals will be the last competition.  The original First 13 ended on Sectionals, when they weren't sure if the Back 9 episodes would be ordered.  Not even Glee has time to get to Nationals in a half season.

We watch Glee. Obviously we're gluttons for punishment.

Same here.  Having watched the show since its brilliant pilot, then through the first three great seasons and now through the long and painful decline. it's almost obligatory to see how at all ends.  I have around 150 video clips of what I've thought were the best musical performances through the seasons (along with a few of the better dramatic scenes : Santana professing her love for Brittany, FInn and Rachel: She loves me, she loves me not and Puck and Quinn: Stay).  I've added some from this season and will finish it out at some point.  The music has always been the prime attraction for me.  When the cast covers a song, in many cases they do it as well or better than the original artist and over the seasons for every miss there have been many more home runs and even grand slams.  Listening to Lea, Amber and yes, even Jenna on the rare occasions that they actually let her sing has, for the most part, been a joy.  Amber is a great singer and as for Lea, when Ryan Murphy called her a "once in a generation voice", he may not have been too far off.  So many of her performances have been flat out brilliant (Being Good isn't Good Enough immediately comes to mind) that even in badly written and/or acted episodes, once that kid opens her mouth and lets it rip, for those brief moments, nothing else matters. So we all soldier on until the show comes to it's overdue demise and can only hope that RM and his cohorts don't bollix it up too badly.

(edited)

I have not watched all year. My daughter records it, so I decided to watch this week. All I can say.... What the HELL was that?

They need to stop - right now. This is terrible.

I broke down and finally watched too.  Man oh man, The HORROR!  This show has gone so far off the rails. LOL

I've just seen the performances. Oh dear god. I actually have second hand embarrassment for those actors.

The "singing".  The "dancing".  The costumes.  The WTF?!!  <doubles over> I can't catch my breath....

Edited by LydiaMoon1

An uneven but generally enjoyable episode. It started with a cracker of a number featuring Myron, joining a long series of inappropriate songs assigned to a character that apparently does not fit it. That young actor can sing and move, despite a certain lack of physical coordination not uncommon at his age (and size). As he was performing I thought he came across as a young Rachel on a giant sugar rush.

But the more they showed of his behaviour as an annoying and slightly mannered brat, I realised that instead he is Kurt on PCP. With a habit of hurling insults at people. I hope they tone him down for future episodes, especially if he is featured in scenes with Becky; the two would be gratingly redundant together. The other musical numbers were pleasant, except for that wailing one by the McKHS adults.

We all know Sue's shtick by now, so her going through the hallway and taking it out on students was not a major surprise, but that hard slap at one girl felt like a moment of uncomfortable excess.

I liked that the Spencer-Alistair plot was not too drawn out, just a short period of uncertainty and awkwardness leading to a resolution. A gay teen couple that comes together as many present-day ones do in real life and as straight couples have been doing on TV for years; refreshing. On the other hand Roderick climbing the rope was totally unbelievable; if you don't have the necessary body strength to lift your body mass and don't make the effort necessary to develop it, you won't be magically be endowed with that ability on the spot. In contrast, the twins' plot was well handled.

It's too bad this episode comes so late in the season, which means that's probably just about the only "development" and extended screen time the new characters will get except for competition performances. It strongly suggests that starting with S4, RIB should have stuck with the idea of partially renewing the choir room crew every season, instead of extending S4 into S5. They could then have split the narrative between the NYC bunch from last season and a mix of new and known high school characters each season.

A satisfying aspect of the episode was the lack of dusty graduates being brought back as musical Messiahs, solely endowed with the power to teach and inspire new ND. That "tradition" might have made sense when introduced by a hapless Finn, but it has become tired by now. What use are Rachel, Blaine, Sam, Kurt and Will then? I greatly appreciated the generosity displayed by the writers in leaving the graduates in their comfortable mothballs, where they should have been left dormant most of the time (Yes, I am in total agreement with Kitty on that one!).

Jane Lynch, it really is hard to overrate her a a comic actress.

Her timing and delivery are always impeccable, even if the character of Coach Sue itself is tired rehash at this point.

The actor who plays post Glee gay Jock Spencer, there has to be some charisma classes he can take, because just no, no screen presence other than annoying dick, and not in a good way.

Jane Lynch, it really is hard to overrate her a a comic actress.

Her timing and delivery are always impeccable, even if the character of Coach Sue itself is tired rehash at this point.

Really? I think she's looked bored since season 2.

I honestly wouldn't rate her as an actress at all if I hadn't seen Criminal Minds.

Well I try to separate my annoyance of how played out her character is with Jane Lynch's performance which I find great.

Compare with say the characters of Becky and Roz who play similar grating characters but with actresses with much more limited and narrow skills.

I would be bored to if I was saying the same lines for the past five years. This episode was so, so, so bad. How many more weeks do I have to endure this?

Have too?  0.

: )

you know what, despite all of the crappy writing, character development, rehashing of old lines, plots..and the ridiculous nature of the show. 

At the end of the day, Glee always has made me smile and laugh. I know it's not a quality show. But heck, I'll appreciate it for what it is. This episode was no exception to that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I would be bored to if I was saying the same lines for the past five years. This episode was so, so, so bad. How many more weeks do I have to endure this?

I'm dragging myself to the finish line on my bloody knees and scabby hands.  Three more weeks, four more hours and the rest is silence...

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 5

I expect that in 10-15 years, someone in the cast (my money's on Kevin McHale) is going to write one hell of a tell-all book.

If that happens, that will be the best thing to have come out of the entire Glee phenomenon.

(Superseded only by the possibility of an "Unauthorized Glee story" Lifetime movie based on said book.)

• Love 4

Pairing Kitty with Myron looks like she's his babysitter. Or maybe a young mom.

Yeah I don't think they will go there you're not implying that are you lol. Cause Kiitty does look like his babysitter or mother

Pretty $^(*ing stupid that they didn't try writing this balance of new vs. old characters eight episodes ago.  No matter how badly the first "new kids" attempt went a few years ago, it was STILL better than most of this season.

And now we're left with this totally ridiculous situation where they have to manufacture 8 more people (who I'm sure they won't even pretend to let us know) slipping into the Glee club in the next few episodes.  Or maybe the new plan is just to leave the season mid-stream, where Rachel gets her new job but the New Directions are still mid-academic year.

I broke down and finally watched too.  Man oh man, The HORROR!  This show has gone so far off the rails. LOL

The show went off the rails four years ago.

The choreography during "Cool Kids" was so bad that i was getting secondhand embarrassment while watching. When I saw their simple outfits, I initially thought that whatever they were about to do was going to be the New New New Directions' version of "Don't Stop Believin;" but alas, it was not.

The sad thing is, I got the impression it was *supposed* to be.  Fail.

And I ask this in all sincerity: what is there that needs to be wrapped up?

Not so much "wrapped up" as "taken out back and shot."

• Love 3

Slightly weird episode but the idea of a bratty child unleashing holy terror on Sue is delightfully karmic to say the least.

Not to mention that it was a tiny bit funny that Will gave her that nickname to boot.

Sue's 'hurt locker' thing continues to be weird as well.

I actually didn't miss Kurt/Blaine or Santana/Brittany in this one and I thought the focus on the newbies was nice enough.

I think the episode gave us a better look at Mason, Madison, Jane, Spencer and Roderick. Spencer getting a boyfriend was pretty great too.

Kitty had some great one liners in this episode but that Myron kid is a little creepy, isn't he?

Not much stuff for Rachel, Sheldon or Sam though this week. Best music number was I Want To Break Free. 7/10

The guy playing Allister looked like he was 30.

This was pretty much all I was interested in during the whole episode.  "Wow, he looks old.  That's probably why he's wearing the knit cap, to help hide a receding hairline.  Wow, nobody who is anywhere near 18 has that many forehead wrinkles..."