Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E15: Top 12 Boys Perform

• Start Topic

Adam – I found it meh and it's really hard to take that song seriously. He did sing pretty well.

Michael – Boring. There were better ballads to choose if he wanted to go that route.

Savion – Sung well, but the song doesn't really go anywhere melodically (it's not an idol song).

Mark – Best song choice for the first half; I wanted to hear something a little more current but he could stick around longer than expected if he keeps in this vein.

Trevor – Terrible. Out of tune and frantic.

Clark – A very Idol-ish performance. Good, best of the first half vocally for sure. Percy Sledge doesn't excite me in 2015.

Rayvon – A little too slick and rehearsed looking. I want to see some rawness from him. If we mixed his penchant for picking a good song for him with Clark's raw vocal prowess, we'd have the Idol 2015 Champ.

Daniel – Better than I expected him to be. If we weren't getting rid of four, I'd be okay with him staying. But I can't deal with the lack of facial emotions as he sings. He won't get much better.

Riley – I felt like he was super nervous. I don't think he's 100% country; I think he's more power pop/ pop-punk (like a Yellowcard, Death Cab for Cutie type).

Quentin – I really enjoyed it, but it admittedly was super weird. I hope he sticks around.

Nick – Pretty good, well put together. I don't really dig him honestly and it would be nice to connect for him.

Qaasim – Good energy, but I'm not feeling his voice. His intonation is going to be an issue later on.

Best of the Night – Clark, Mark, Quentin

Four to Go – Riley, Trevor, Michael, Savion (sadly. Daniel should go instead, but will stay.)

Really, any combo of Savion, Riley, Trevor, Michael, Mark, and Nick could go, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

• Love 1

I started jotting notes at the first commercial break: 

Adam: I think he does what he does well, but it's not what I choose to listen to.

Michael: I don't remember what he sang?

Savion: He's got a voice all right, but on this one I'm with Keith--I don't think that was the best song choice for his style.

Mark: Now that was a perfect song choice for him, and the whole thing worked for me. (And I wasn't really liking him so much until this point.)

Trevor: He needs to take it down a notch or three--I think he's overexcited, which is endearing, but because of it the song got away from him.

Clark: I think his vocals were really smooth...but my attention just drifted right away from him, and I don't know why.

Rayvon: I can't rate this performance fairly because I've heard the song before and it drives me nuts every time because I expect it to be the classic "I Still Get Jealous" (the one by Cahn and Styne) and it isn't really different enough. So I have a grudge against the song.

Daniel: I really like this song, and I like that he's using an unexpected instrument, but his voice was breaking a bit.

Riley: Started a bit weak and breathless--nerves, I'm guessing?--but he did get better as he went on. County/pop is a good sound for him.

Quentin: He has pipes, and he's a bit sideways which is interesting--but I can only listen to him if I'm not watching him. (That nose ring makes me want to hand him a box of tissues. I'm shallow, it's terrible.)

Nick: I LOVE this song--and that's a problem for me, because I've been listening to Ed Sheeran sing it so often that this didn't sound right just because it wasn't the same voice I have in my head. But I think he did a good job with it.

Qaasim: I don't know this song, so I don't know if the song goes in odd directions or if that's his voice going off key. He certainly can perform without losing his cool.

• Love 1

I voted for Nick, Mark, Clark, Qassim, Savion, and Riley.

My 4 to go would be Adam, Daniel (even though he did much better tonight than previous performances), Trevor, and Michael.

Adam - I really think the judges must have been told to be nice for these first shows because I was surprised that they didn't call this performance a joke. I don't even think Adam sings all that well either. He's a Jack Black character and nothing more. He's good for some entertainment but he should not have been given a spot in the Top 24 over somebody more deserving. And people thought Caleb was bad?

Michael - Agree with above. Boring. Generic. His voice is pretty average, actually. This performance was no better than anything I've seen a high schooler do at talent show night.

Savion - I was dreading hearing yet another version of this song but I'm glad he changed it up at least a little. 

Mark - A bit boring but better than his past performances.

Trevor - Entertaining but he needs to calm down. His performances are always 100 mph and the vocals are always off key or manic. No Trevor, we will not vote for you just so you can "work on your vocals." This is the top 24, you are supposed to already have all that together.

Clark - Not as good as Joshua Ledet, but then again, who can be? But my eyes and ears enjoy Clark, so. I hope if he makes it farther that he picks something more current. He keeps choosing Motown standards. For this night I guess it made sense but enough already. 

Rayvon - Finally he does an upbeat song. It's not that he isn't good, he just doesn't appeal to me as a favorite. He's good though.

Daniel - Best performance I've seen him give so far. That being said, he's still not ready for this. He just does not fit in at all and that is saying something, considering those like Quentin and Joey and all. He looks like a kindergartner that accidentally walked into the 8th grade classroom. He will be good in a couple years, for now he's just not ready and doesn't fit in with the rest.

Riley - No doubt Riley's voice is pretty average, but I enjoy seeing him shred on the guitar. Mini Keith Urban/Hunter Hayes? The show needs a winner like him.

Quentin - Well it was an interesting arrangement of that song. But I can't get behind this guy. I think he does have a good voice but the weird clothing/whole look distracts me.

Nick - He is from CT like me so I'm rooting for my homeboy! It also helps that he sounds a lot like Chris Daughtry, who I also like. Plus it was like night and day to see all these green amateurs and then see Nick just go up there like a seasoned pro.

Qassim - It seems Qassim is always more focused on bringing the entertainment than concentrating on vocals. He's no doubt a great performer/entertainer, but the vocals need work. 

If there's any justice, at the very least Adam, Daniel, and Michael will be gone.

• Love 2

JLo's continual gushing about how adorable (and beyond!) Daniel is made me "see" him as an 8 year old tonight. Then when he was squeeing about the girls in front yelling his name during his performance with (gasp!) his mom up in the stands--I saw him as a 12 year old (not 15) once more. His smiling singing (that is, not properly emoting for the song) would get others in trouble, but I fear he may have enough voters to put him through no matter how he does.

Edited by KR Vermont
  • Love 3

1) Adam - fun to watch

2) Michael - Zzzzzzz

3) Savion - agree with Keith about song choice

4) Mark - like

5) Trevor - needs vocal coaching, but still likable

6) Clark - good song choice and performance

7) Rayvon - like Harry said, "Elegant, handsome and talented"

8) Daniel - not ready, overrated

9) Riley - not the best, but much better than Daniel

10) Quinton - just no, no to it all, I had to fast forward

11) Nick - good "safe" performance

12) Qaasim - great song choice and closing act

• Love 1

The only two I could say I came close to liking were Savion and Rayvon (more the latter than the former). Michael Simeon can sing, but totally dated sound and, besides, the judges/audience aren't going to take to him. Clark was okay, but sounded like he was pandering and I've heard much much better performances of that song. The judges love him though! Bleh.

Guitar after guitar, bad vocal after bad vocal. It's like the judges/show didn't learn anything from last year. I'm expecting a show full of Malayas tomorrow--sounds awful, but the judges think they're the next Jennifer Hudson.

Until now I had completely forgotten that votes are limited now to 20 per method per contestant. (Last season it was 50). So that should prevent any type of Sanjaya/Tim Urban/Lazaro situation from happening. I have more faith now.

• Love 2

LOVED Quentin! OMG, yay! Amazing voice and not cookie cutter. Super cool song choice too.

I'd keep Clark and Riley.

I *adore* Trevor, but he HAS to stop being 17, like immediately. Turn it down kiddo.

Everyone else can go, and I won't care. Adam E's kind of amusing, but he needs to stop and sing something, fast.

Edit: Also, shoutout to the hometown! I about fell over when I saw the Fillmore.

Edited by areca
  • Love 1

The frantic pacing was distracting. I know that long filler episodes are bad, but this pace didn't work for me at all. It seems a little irrelevant what the performance even was, everyone just will vote for who they liked in previous episodes.

1) Adam E.-fulfilled part of my reality show bucket list...hearing Twisted Sister. Should've gone w/ Were not gonna take it anymore IMO.

2. Michael-Better pray for female support because boring+death slot=danger.

3) Savion-good, not great....seemed a little overwhelmed by the band and the stage. Still should cruise into the top 8

4) Marc- On merit, he should be in the top eight

5) Clark- see Marc, above.

6) Trevor-someone needs to remind him that his best performance was the first half of I See Fire when he just stood and sang w/out the haphazard guitar slapping.

7) Rayvon-2nd best after Quentin. Want to hear more

8) Riley-you sir are no Eric Church and the song had none of the anger and edge necessary. Wouldn't be shocked if he goes, but he is the only country singer so...

9) Quentin-Best in Show, he's kind of the opposite of Adam....he brings the drama but it's not an over the top extroverted kind of drama. It's like he can draw you in w/out even taking a step from the mic stand.

10) Nick-Solid. probably the bronze medal of the evening.

**Refuse to deal w/ Daniel or Qaasim. They just are, and probably will continue to be so for at least one more week.

This was taped a week ago?!  I had completely forgotten, if I ever knew, that the first rounds were not live.  Does anyone know what the actual order of performance was?

It is complete garbage that some of the singers were given intro packages, but not all.

We've all heard how expensive the show is and how they have cut back on stuff.  They choose to take the whole thing on the road?  Was that a function of the Nokia not being available?  What about the Orpheum where they did the auditions?  I don't get it.  They probably got some funding from the MIchigan Film commission.

Of course Adam Ez was first and his song began with an abrupt edit.  The shots cut by the director hurt him greatly, especially at the end.  They made it appear he was lost with zero connection to the band.  He chose a turrible song and he pretty much was killing himself.  I'm still bitter at the shenanigans pulled by 19E.

My goodness but Trevor was bad.  Among the worst ever seen post-audition rounds.  In other words...The worst we've ever had.

OK.  With Clark's screeching, this is now officially "Saved By the Bell: AI"

Riley had the most complete performance of the night, for me.  He is the most comfortable on stage behind a mic.  

Props to Quentin for pulling off an intimate presentation in that turrible atmosphere and despite TPTB who frame shots broadly and edit for hype/fury.  Enough with the moving panoramas!!!!!

Anyone know how many are being chopped off this round?  

Finally, the sound mix all night was truly the worst this show has ever had.   I wanted to get all mad at Ricky Minor for crappy arrangements, but then I realized they really were on it.  We just were not allowed to hear.  It was as if they were playing using AM waves while he singers were on FM.  

• Love 1

I was actually a bit disappointed.  The guys had seemed so strong coming into tonight, but few matched up to expectations.  Only Quentin gave a memorable performance, while Clark and Nick were merely competent.  The rest ranged from mediocre to downright bad.

Anyway, my ranking for the evening:

1. Quentin Alexander
2. Clark Beckham
3. Nick Fradiani
4. Qassim Middleton
5. Adam Ezegelian
6. Mark Andrew
7. Rayvon Owen
8. Riley Bria
9. Savion Wright
10. Michael Simeon
11. Daniel Seavey
12. Trevor Douglas

I sure hope the girls do better tomorrow night.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

They really had to squeeze the 12 performances into the allotted hour tonight.   I don't usually like the drawn-out back stories and filler, but tonight's show was too rushed and condensed for me.  

It's surprising to see Adam in the top 24.  He seems like a pleasant enough guy, but as someone upthread said, he seems more to be playing a character rather than delivering something musical and meaningful.  It's unfortunate that he moved into the top 24 while really good singers like Cody Fry were sent home.

Michael is forgettable.   I can't even remember what he sang or what he looks like other than a general pleasant-looking blondness.

I like Savion and think he's a cutie,  but he sang a song that so belongs to Pat Monahan that I couldn't get past the Train version  sealed in my brain.  But I'm biased because I love Train.

Mark is very appealing in kind of an unexpected way.    Me likey.

Trevor is usually a joy to watch, but sheesh, he was on triple fast-forward tonight.   His nerves took over, but he's so darned likable that I'm hoping this was just first-night jitters.

I like Clark.   Boy can sing.  Hoping to see more of what he can do in different musical genres.

Rayvon has a lovely voice, and he's sweetly handsome.   I'm rooting for him.

I would like Daniel a lot better if Jennifer would quit the gushy-cutesy praise.  Her goosey self is probably the main reason he made it this far.  He does have talent and charm, but the talent needs experience and the charm needs maturity.     

Riley is another whose nerves kicked in tonight.  With a little experience he could turn out to be an engaging performer.  I'm not sure about how good he may or may not be yet.

I kind of like Quentin's quirky looks,  except for the nose thing.  It looks like snot, and I can't get past the ickiness of it.   He's talented enough that he doesn't need that gimmick.

I look forward to seeing Nick every time.   I like his look, his style, and his voice.    I'm rooting for him, too.

Qaassim (sp?) fell short on vocals while he was schmoozing with the crowd.   

Favorites so far -- Mark,  Rayvon, Nick, and Trevor if he can rein in his nervousness.

I don't entirely dislike anyone, but I think the four who go home after this first round should include Adam and Michael.

Edited by crocosmia

At first I thought it was the speed dating format that was making this episode suck for me, then I heard first Mark, and then maybe Clark sing, then I realized it was more because most of the performances were really bland.

Clark, Nick, Mark, Quentin...maybe Qaasim stood out for me.  I think Michael sings well even though his personality is annoying but that song choice might have killed him before his time.

I get that they are trying to speed things up to conform more to millennial attention spans and it's ironic for me to complain because i used to fast forward through the critiques anyway but this show felt more like a Youtube playlist than a television show.

Edited by Sentient Meat

Guys whose performances I really enjoyed and who I would put through:

Nick, who was fantastic

Quentyn, who needs to lose the nose ring, but man, he sounded terrific

Clark, who overdid it a little at the end but otherwise was great

Mark, who maybe needs to loosen up, performance-wise but who sounded wonderful

If I had to pick two more:

Savion, who chose a song which didn't suit him but he sounded very good

Trevor, who didn't sound his best but really knows how to perform

The others:

Rayvon sounds good but is boring to me

Riley sounded not so good at the beginning of his song, was interrupted by the idiots at Fox 45 pressing the wrong button so that I missed the middle, but the end of his song was good

Qaasim chose I song I don't like and one that is not a singer's song, and was vocally mediocre on it (I was out of the room so I can't judge the performance aspect, only how it sounded)

Adam went first for a reason and that is also not a singer's song, meh vocal, meh performance

Daniel is fine for a ten year old; they should've let him mature a few more years

Michael chose a Michael Bolton abomination and therefore I couldn't even listen

My four to go home: Daniel, Michael, Qaasim and Adam (who seems like a cool guy but just isn't that good a singer)

Edited by proserpina65

Wow! Not much there for an old geezer woman to like. I did like that they went to Detroit, and also auditioned there for at least the last two seasons. Poor dear Detroit, with such a history, any commerce they can throw their way is a good thing.

I think the girls may do better tonight.

Wow.......just too much to cram into an hour.  But at least it made for a few less shots of JLo making faces and singing along.

Trevor may have done well in previous attempts, but this was just bad and he should be gone. Quirky is ok if you can pull it off and he did not, he was just out of tune.

Daniel is cute and that is about all, judging by this performance. Did he pick that song himself? Just no.

Quentin is unique and talented, but, I agree with others, please take the nose ring out.  That's all us older ladies can see when he performs and I just want to give him a tissue and tell him to blow that gunk out. 

The only one I really enjoyed was Adam, but he has no chance of getting any votes from the 12 year old girl audience. He might do better with a different group, but won't go anywhere on AI.

The rest did ok, but nobody really blows me away, no goosies, for sure.

The new format sure streamlined the show but I kept thinking what did I miss when they didn't intro every contestant and the ones they did intro I FF'd through anyway.  I am not interested in their background now, just sing and move on!  The judges were way too kind right out of the gate, most had nothing to work on, wow week 1 and nothing to work on?!!  Amazing talents!!  NOT!

I am a Clark fan so far and Daniel Daniel Daniel....seriously?  Go home until your voice changes.  I thought he actually forgot some of the words but with that song it was hard to tell or care, always hated it! 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Adam – I can't get past his "look" to me he looks like a cartoon character (Simpson's maybe???) and the song and his look didn't mesh

Michael – Boring zzzzz

Savion – I don't even remember what he sang.

Mark – He's ok, but is ok good enough?

Trevor – I had him picked as the winner going into this...he needs to turn it down about 1,000 notches - frantic and ummmm not so good.

Clark – I liked this, a lot.

Rayvon – Boy he is good, almost too good, too polished, too ???

Daniel – The babysitter called, you need to go home now ok. He never should be been put through, he is not ready and it really, really shows.

Riley – I want to like him, but...

Quentin – He is awesome! When he started I was looking around thinking wtf, but the more he sang the more I loved what he was putting down, unfortunately I think he is too quirky for America's taste.

Nick – I find him meh.

Qaasim – Excellent performance, he is a showman, but will showman win this???

Edited by damnman

Still too soon for me - I can't recall most of these contestants' names, especially since I only started watching when they hit Hollywood. However, I sure can remember Adam's name because I loathe him! He needs to be eliminated immediately - as someone astutely noted, it's as if he's merely playing a character. He's wildly unappealing to me on every level - I don't want to see or hear him one moment more.

Otherwise, no one else really elicited a big reaction from me. I want a couple of them to move forward so that I can see if they conquer their nerves and if some better singing can emerge. Riley falls into this category. I am interested to see if he can do better because there seems to be some talent under there. 

Daniel needs to go immediately as well. I have NO interest in watching a child, a very young child, perform. Yuck and yuck. 

Trevor annoyed me immensely. I find him way too gimmicky, what with the outsized glasses and other affected mannerisms. I could be wrong, and I've already erased it off my DVR so I can't double check, but I thought that when he finished singing, he pointed his mike towards each judge as he/she offered the one sentence reaction allotted. That really bothered me, for some reason. Like, you are NOT the host of the show, you don't "give" the judges the signal to speak.

I appreciate that they are jamming 12 performances into 48 or 43 minutes, or whatever it is with the commercials. Although it felt a bit frantic and rushed, I prefer that to the endless intros highlighting the tales of financial and medical and emotional woe that seems to be the requisite for qualifying for the contest. I don't give a shit about your troubles; we've all got 'em, they suck and are challenging, but really, I don't care.

I liked the color of Jenn's lipstick, and I enjoyed seeing Keith sing along with many of the songs.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 1

I was actually hoping for the typical "12 perform, 5 get through, and then have a chance for 3 more Wildcard slots" format, but I fear that would have resulted in a very character-heavy, talent-weak group of finalists. But I will have to wait and see if cutting 4 this week and 2 next week will work, either. Going into the Top 24 I felt that Quentin, Rayvon, Savion, Qaasim, Nick and Clark were head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the group, and they received the highest grades from me last night (although only Quentin really blew me away). Riley and Mark weren't completely terrible, so I am hoping to see Adam, Trevor, Michael and Daniel go home. But considering how heavily pimped they were throughout the auditions, I need to start preparing myself for disappointment.

In all fairness to Daniel, I do like how his voice is a little "quirky", different from what you'd expect by looking at him. Maybe in 10 years he'll resurface as part of some Portlandia hipster band. But he's just too young now.

I ilke both Qaasim and Quentin, but I get them confused with each other because of their names. Which is ridiculous because they're so different. Qaasim is a mainstream crowd-pleaser while Quentin is more unconventional.

I wouldn't be sorry if 3 of the slightly less unusual, but reliably good performers are the last guys standing: Nick, Mark, and Rayvon. Loved Nick's Daughtry-esque version of that Ed Sheeran song much more than the original (which was on 3 radio stations at the same time yesterday).

• Love 1

Clarks bugs bigtime.  It's like he belongs in a show in Orlando amusement park.  Way too over the top and thus, dated. VERY dissapointed in #2 slot, Michael.  In the auditions I thought "handsome, nice voice, farm boy, THE WINNER--what's not to love."  Now I find him smarmy and who the hell picks a Michael Bolton song when they are what, 20? Should have immediate disqualification for that. Kid with the Buddy Holley glasses needs to remember to take his Ritalin on Wednesday morning. I really like Riley I think he could be quite marketable. Hope stodgey America lets Lenny Kra...I mean Quinton stay for awhile to entertain us.  I thought he was great in the Hollywood week.

Looking forward to seeing Tyanna tonite.

Does Ed Sheeran plan on divorcing his wife on his 71st birthday? That lyric really is weird....

Worse is the fact that no matter how carefully the word is enunciated, "70" comes across as "17" every time because the stress is on the wrong syllable. (And I say this as someone who loves that song!)

Does Ed Sheeran plan on divorcing his wife on his 71st birthday? That lyric really is weird....

Worse is the fact that no matter how carefully the word is enunciated, "70" comes across as "17" every time because the stress is on the wrong syllable. (And I say this as someone who loves that song!)

True story about 2 of the songs featured on last night's show - right after "Uptown Funk" came on the radio, the DJ (actually Seacrest himself on LA's KIIS-FM) said something about "this" being the most requested wedding first-dance song of the year. Unfortunately, he was referring to Ed Sheeran's "I'll love you till we're 17" song, which came on next. But seriously, how awesome would it be if that honor went to "Uptown Funk"?

I love that they went to Detroit in the snow. Would have been funnier if Seacrest couldn't open the theater door. If they're staying there for two weeks, they really should have the Idols do something in the community.

In fairness to Ed, he did add an extra 5 years more than the Beatles in " When I'm 65".

I looooooooved Quentin's performance! He reminds me of a cross between Lenny Kravitz with the crazy fashions and Adam Lambert with the dramatic artistry of the performance. I really hope he stays because I find him riveting to watch, and that's a rare thing for this show.

Yikes, poor Trevor! I loved him before but that was really bad tonight. He was hitting all kinds of bum notes. I hope he survives eliminations, though, because I think it was just an off night of too much "opening night" nerves, and he's normally fun and talented. And I certainly like him miles better than the Michael Bolton Twins.

I was thinking Lenny Kravitz and Adam Lambert when watching Quentin's performance last night too! :D  It was kind of mesmerizing, so I definitely want to see what he does next.

Trevor seemed hyped up more than usual (haha), and if he takes it down a notch I think it would make a big difference. Same with Adam, he appears too jokey or bug-eyed or something that doesn't lend itself to the magnitude of this opportunity, yet I think it's within him to give less clowny performances (but hey, last night's choice was Twisted Sister, so there's that).

Qaasim definitely brings a performance to a song. But with all the cuts to JLo, the family and the audience, we didn't get the full impact.

• Love 1

I looooooooved Quentin's performance! He reminds me of a cross between Lenny Kravitz with the crazy fashions and Adam Lambert with the dramatic artistry of the performance. I really hope he stays because I find him riveting to watch, and that's a rare thing for this show.

I love the heck out of this kid. I agree with the Lenny comparison, and the Adam Lambert- Adam brought drama/fashion, but he also brought the chops to back it up and played the show the best of just about any contestant. Like every week was a mini-Adam Lambert concert. Hopefully, Quentin does the same. He also reminds me a little of D'Angelo. 

If he or Clark covered "Untitled (How does it feel)", I wouldn't be mad at it. 

• Love 3

Can we leave the show at the Fillmore in Detroit?  That was SO much better than California. Just a crazy good energy versus what you get in L.A. Fuck you, California!  Go fall into the ocean--we won't miss you.

Scruffy Detroit Seacrest - Interesting choice. I guess this is his "Blue Collar" look, right?

1. Adam - Great.  Crazy haired New Meatloaf just KILLED.
  2. Michael - A little sleepy, but unlike Harry I thought that was fairly in tune (compared to a lot of Idol live performances).
  3. Savion - Not bad.  An interesting interpretation.  And that's what it WAS. An interpretation. He didn't just copy the original.
  4. Mark - A bit of a yawner, if again, not actually bad.  The judges overpraised it IMO.
  5. Trevor - His voice went to pieces on that didn't it?  Which is a shame, because it was interesting outside his total lack of vocal control. My big beef with Trevor though is that he seems kind of smarmy and ass-kissy.
  6. Clark - Taking on Percy Sledge IN Motor City is... ballsy.  He didn't quite pull it off, but respect for trying.
  7. Rayvon - He had the advantage of a current song the crowd really wanted to hear.  But honestly, he did a shit job of it.
  8. Daniel The Infant - I just can't get past the energy that comes off him that communicates "tadpole, not frog".  You get the sense his voice is gonna break for puberty any moment.
  9. Riley Urban Jr. - Meh.  He's a pretty good Guit-box player though.  And he did end the song a lot better than he started it.
  10. Quentin and his wacky Fur Coat - He's interesting, I gotta give him that.  He wins on theatricality.
  11. Nick - A bit too on the nose of the original. Then again, being able to ape Ed Sheeren that closely isn't a totally bad thing.
  12. Qaasim - I know they don't get much time... but man that seemed rushed.  Which is a shame because it was otherwise so good.  If it was HALF that speed.
  • Love 1

This is the first time I've seen any of them sing.  I have no idea if they have a great personality or anything like that.  Quentin was the only one that wowed me.  Clark, Rayvon, Nick, Mark were good vocally but too safe.  Qaasim was a good entertainer but needed to concentrate a little more on his voice. Daniel is good for his age but not ready for the show.  Trevor needs to really calm down and he was badly out of tune.  Michael was boring.  Adam, Savion, and Riley were o.k. but I can see them doing better.

• Love 1

Well, being old enough to be his mother doesn't make you old.  I could by YOUR mother and then some! 

But, he doesn't need a nose ring to keep that funky look. Or, at least get one that is more visible so it is obviously a ring instead of mucus hanging there.

But, he's got enough other stuff about him, the clothes, the hair, the expressions, that get the image across without grossing some of us viewers out.

• Love 3

I don't like the nose ring either but he obviously wears it because he likes it. He's not going to remove it just because some viewers don't like it. It's his nose, he can do whatever he wants with it, just like you can do what you want with yours.

• Love 2

Why oh why are so many of them picking the same tired songs, geez!  I sped-watched this because I just cannot with freakin' Michael Bolton, etc.  And I'm 50, people! Do the 12-year-old girls they focus on in the audience want to hear that?

Not much stood out for me except for Quentin and Daniel.  Could two human beings be more different?  I think Quentin is a star, but I don't know if he's an American Idol, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Daniel - I just want to smack that smile off of his face.

• Love 2

Trevor is my fave. He has been since his audition. There is just something likeable about him.

I like Trevor a lot as a personality and also find him very cute (a kind of Clark Kent-Superman thing going on with those glasses, imo). But I've been repeatedly disappointed by his singing. He really can't sing at all, imo. There is nothing pleasant, on tune, or melodic about the way he delivers a song. He'd be better doing a "talking song" some kind of show tune like from the Music Man or My Fair Lady. He really can't sing.

However, if he wants to be "the next Bill Nye" and explain science to a new generation, that would probably be pretty fun to watch.

• Love 2

The only performance I've liked from Trevor was his audition- and that's probably because "Sing" is such a manic-paced song, which is what Trevor makes EVERY song he sings. Maybe he should stick to songs that are supposed to be all wild and fast. I would hate to see what he'd do with a ballad. Yikes.

• Love 1

I don't like the nose ring either but he obviously wears it because he likes it. He's not going to remove it just because some viewers don't like it. It's his nose, he can do whatever he wants with it, just like you can do what you want with yours.

If he honestly had a sense that viewers didn't like it, he might. But I don't think a few randoms on a single message board, or even on Twitter, are going to move a personal style choice.
  • Love 1

I like Trevor a lot as a personality and also find him very cute (a kind of Clark Kent-Superman thing going on with those glasses, imo). 

However, if he wants to be "the next Bill Nye" and explain science to a new generation, that would probably be pretty fun to watch.

He reminds me of Waldo, as in Where's Waldo.  I loved him up to tonight.  It wasn't so good tonight, and he does seem to be trying too hard.  Too bad.  

In fairness to Ed, he did add an extra 5 years more than the Beatles in " When I'm 65".

64, wasn't it?  I would say, in fairness to Ed, he wrote that lyric when he was 21 or 22 and 70 is pretty much 'til death do us part' at that age.  

And Harry commented on the lyric when Daniel sang it in Hollywood, but he thought he was singing "17", not "70", which he might've, though it would make very little sense to.  

I was impressed with Nick's performance of it.  All in all I think the guys are a lot better than the girls, for my tastes.  

Adam – Attempting to be the Poor Man's Caleb. While I don't think he'll get too far, as I have no idea what his target audience would be, I was surprised at how strong his voice was- I hadn't heard it showcased quite so well before!

Savion and Rayvon- too similar to me!  Both have that boppy, super-happy-smiley-bouncey vibe that bugs me.  Hate both of their hats as well.  (As an aside- what is that called when they wear that shruggy hat off the back of their heads?)  They do have good voices and I think will appeal to the audience though.  

Daniel – Love him and his smile, think he's adorable and a very cool kid, but they didn't do him any favors by putting him through so young.  He will only get better in time, and by giving him his one shot now, it's been blown.  I would have loved to see him on in about 2 years!  

Riley –  I think he will be a big hit with the preteen crowd due to his good looks :)

Love Quentin for his originality, and Quaasim.  I think despite some vocal flaws they know how to perform, are unique, and are actually artists who know how to manipulate a song and make it their own.  

Nick, MIchael, Mark, Clark- basically no recollection of them whatsoever, which doesn't bode well.  Is Mark the older looking one with the curly hair?  Love his hair out so much more than with that hat on! 

. He really can't sing at all, imo. There is nothing pleasant, on tune, or melodic about the way he delivers a song. He'd be better doing a "talking song" some kind of show tune like from the Music Man or My Fair Lady. He really can't sing.

That's never stopped a lot of contestants on this show. Phillip Philips being the prime example.

That Keith Urban Jr kid looks like the next boy-bandy winner. Feels like he wandered away from the One Direction photo shoot. If I were 12, I would probably vote for him. But I'm not, so I won't.

I'm not part of the preteen crowd and I really like Riley a lot. He's not the best vocalist but for me has the "package" and what it takes to be a successful artist, which this show desperately needs after the last 2 winners. To me he's like a combo of Keith and Hunter Hayes. He plays guitar a lot better than he sings, maybe he's even a writer. And he's got conventionally good looks. He didn't seem massively comfortable in his performance but I think he has a certain air about his presence onstage. He just looks like he is meant to be on a stage and in time perhaps he'll grow more comfortable. I think in a few years he could be big though. He just has "it" and the "package." You don't have to be 12 to see that. If he won this season, he wouldn't be my absolute first choice, but I wouldn't be mad.

• Love 3

He just has "it" and the "package." You don't have to be 12 to see that. If he won this season, he wouldn't be my absolute first choice, but I wouldn't be mad.

Agree. The last 6 winners have had zero "it" factor. None. And you could throw in season 2 also. So I'll clarify......... if I voted at all, I would vote for Riley. My first and last (1) vote was for Bo Bice. LOL (Back when I thought my one vote mattered.)