Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Distance

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

The return of the Dale-a-bago! I'm not even a huge Dale fan, but I loved the callback to the early seasons and Glenn being the one who knew just how to handle the RV. 

Michonne was the star of this episode. I loved that she stood up to Rick and insisted they go. But I'm a little worried that she's becoming the new moral authority. Don't kill Michonne!

That scene on the highway at night was super intense. I swear as they were running over all the walkers I heard one growl, "You're dead". I'm still not entirely sure what happened with all that. When the flare went off, Aaron looked "caught" to me. Was that Eric, shooting it off because he got into a pickle? With Walkers? With our group? They just happened upon him? I probably need to rewatch, but it just seemed like something bad was about to go down. Michonne's sudden questions about him not having any pictures of his people....finding the listening equipment. Maybe it was all just to highlight how paranoid they've become?

Loved, loved, loved the look on Rick's face when they pulled up outside of Alexandria and heard the children playing. 

But I'm still not sold on this being a true "safe" place. Watch that really be a tape recording or something. And Judith....she began bawling as soon as Aaron walked into the barn. Babies know evil. 

No, I really hope it is a good place. They can't ALL be bad places, bad people. Right? I guess we'll find out next week. The previews seemed intentionally bare bones. Can't give anything away.

Rick - "Just because we're good people, doesn't mean we won't kill you".

• Love 22

Realistically, they should have some kind of decontamination procedures in place for newcomers. Mandatory cleaning, delousing, medical checkups... but as paranoid as Rick is of any authority figure except himself I'm not sure how he'll take his group being ordered to the showers. Let's hope that small, square mustaches have not yet come back into fashion.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 10

It really too bad that the writers won't go there with Rick and Michonne. Tonight showed that Rick and Michonne have potential to be a great couple. Carl and Judith would have two badass parents.

I'm on the fence about Rick/Michonne being a couple because writers have a tendency to change characters when they are in a relationship. I mean if Michonne/Rick were a couple, would the type interaction we saw tonight happen? Would Michonne have felt the need to stay loyal to Rick, therefore, keep her mouth shut despite the fact that she disagree with him? Would she have felt free to disagree with him the way she did or would she have feared what it would do their romantic relationship ?

I would hope that nothing would have been different about tonight, but I don't trust the writers. So I'll take friendship and the great interaction we have tonight over a romantic relationship.

• Love 11

Oh my God, after all that with the applesauce Judith just rolling around the backseat fending for herself, wtf. Loved the ep, though.

Right?  These people could go skidding into a walker herd at any moment.  Rick is worried about Judith being poisoned.  Yet, there she was, rolling around loose in the backseat. Damn, at least strap her in with a seat belt.

• Love 14

She wasn't in the back seat alone for the ride, wasn't Carl back there - I assume someone was holding her and laid her on the seat when they got out (why, I don't know).  It was Aaron/Eric's car, no one had a car seat - though if they really wanted to be trustworthy, they would have brought one.

So I'll take friendship and the great interaction we have tonight over a romantic relationship.

Right now I agree, SevenStars - I love their relationship and can see them as a couple but I don't trust these writers with it yet.

• Love 2

Pardon my rude labeling, but I'm terrible with character names: but did we ever find out what happened to the lesbian?  The one who kind of had the bromance with Glen last season?  I don't recall her getting killed off but don't think we've seen her at all this half of the season.  Did I miss something? I kinda liked her

• Love 1

. And Judith....she began bawling as soon as Aaron walked into the barn. Babies know evil. 

She's just not used to the smell of soap and Polo Blue.  Plus she was hungry.

Have to say the flare to the Walker's face was all sorts of awesome.

In what universe does force feeding a kid applesauce make him manly?  

Edited by whyjen8
  • Love 14
Right now I agree, SevenStars - I love their relationship and can see them as a couple but I don't trust these writers with it yet.

Agree. I don't want to see Michonne get Glenn'd. He became so boring after he coupled up. Michonne and Rick have an undeniable bond. Whether that leads to an outright romance or not, I don't know if it even matters. I feel the same way about Daryl and Carol. They could be a great couple, but these people already love each other and have each other's backs to the end. I don't need the show to become a soap opera. And, as for Michonne, she will be a great role model and caretaker to the Grimes kids no matter what happens with her and Rick.

• Love 12

This episode was a little jarring for me, the idea that there are going to be in a safe place, it just seems too unbelievable, happening so quickly like this.  Maybe it's because the Terminus buildup, getting to Terminus happened over several episodes and of course that turned out to be a very bad place.   And I was a little puzzled by how so many of the group seemed so willing so quickly to believe that Aaron and his "community" would be a good place, especially after everything they've been through.    Maybe it's just that old saying, hope springs eternal and all that.  But it still seemed odd to me.  

• Love 7

Pardon my rude labeling, but I'm terrible with character names: but did we ever find out what happened to the lesbian?  The one who kind of had the bromance with Glen last season?  I don't recall her getting killed off but don't think we've seen her at all this half of the season.  Did I miss something? I kinda liked her

Tara?  She's still there, just hasn't had many lines in the last few episodes. 

• Love 4

Tara is alive and still with the group

• Love 1
Pardon my rude labeling, but I'm terrible with character names: but did we ever find out what happened to the lesbian?  The one who kind of had the bromance with Glen last season?  I don't recall her getting killed off but don't think we've seen her at all this half of the season.  Did I miss something? I kinda liked her

Tara. She's still around. She hasn't really said much, but I've seen her in the background of several scenes.

• Love 1

Oh my God, after all that with the applesauce Judith just rolling around the backseat fending for herself, wtf. Loved the ep, though.

Yeah, rick should write himself a $100 ticket for failure to properly restrain a child while driving.

• Love 13

I'd be paranoid too if I were Rich. Look what happened with Woodbury and Terminus.

Plus Aaron was spying on them, listening to them, no pictures of the community people. Why did he travel so far from his community to find Rich's group? What for?

The whole night scene in the car was so fast I didn't see Erik and I don't understand how he got with Maggie and Co. And I thought they were still back at the barn or were they someplace else? Who shot off the flare?

Although I'm confused it was a good episode.

• Love 6

She wasn't in the back seat alone for the ride, wasn't Carl back there - I assume someone was holding her and laid her on the seat when they got out (why, I don't know).  It was Aaron/Eric's car, no one had a car seat - though if they really wanted to be trustworthy, they would have brought one.

Yes, Carl was back there with Judith. It isn't like there are car seats lying around. They have to do the best that they can.

• Love 6

But I'm still not sold on this being a true "safe" place. Watch that really be a tape recording or something. And Judith....she began bawling as soon as Aaron walked into the barn. Babies know evil. 

We must be related I was watching with my teenager and when Judith started crying I yelled out don't trust him babies can sense evil. Paranoid or not I am right there with Rick. After all they gave been through I don't know if I would ever let my guard down.

• Love 6

Tara. She's still there. She was just kind of in the background this week.

She was the one giggling around in the rain with Rosita last week.

• Love 3

Tara it is then, thanks.  Guess i haven't been paying attention in the background.

I thought tonight was an alright episode, though I'm disappointed it appears we're getting another Woodbury type storyline instead of going to Washington, which I think has far more potential to be interesting.

• Love 1
This episode was a little jarring for me, the idea that there are going to be in a safe place, it just seems too unbelievable, happening so quickly like this.  Maybe it's because the Terminus buildup, getting to Terminus happened over several episodes and of course that turned out to be a very bad place.   And I was a little puzzled by how so many of the group seemed so willing so quickly to believe that Aaron and his "community" would be a good place, especially after everything they've been through.    Maybe it's just that old saying, hope springs eternal and all that.  But it still seemed odd to me

I think the difference between this setup and Terminus was the the Termites weren't picky. They invited anyone and everyone. They put up signs and sent out radio messages, for crying out loud! Whereas Aaron and his boyfriend took their time spying on the group, feeling them out, and making sure they were right for the community. I'm still not saying I'd be trusting enough to risk it, but I don't think it has the same feel as Terminus.

• Love 14

Eric would have been a better recruiter than Aaron. I'm sure he's very capable but IMO those last vestiges of societal prejudice would've made them more likely to deem him harmless. Plus he didn't make me feel like he was going to start selling me a shamwow or something like Aaron did.

OMG though, when Rick walked in on them smooching and was FINALLY POLITE . <3

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 15

Get her a car seat? For real? They weren't on a casual nightime summer drive. They aren't running around with car seats and stuff we have in everyday life.

Plus, Judith's last car seat tended to attract a LOT of blood....

• Love 12

Maybe it's just that old saying, hope springs eternal and all that.  But it still seemed odd to me.

I think after the losses, dehydration, exhaustion and lack of food they were ready.  Michonne has been ready to stop travelling for a while now, and she was at the forefront, along with Glen, and helped to sway Rick.  I liked how both options were shown among the characters.  Plus what Ghoulina said a few posts up :)

Edited by raven
  • Love 4
Why did he travel so far from his community to find Rich's group? What for?

Assuming they're on the up and up, community building. At some point, survivors are going to have to leave the defensive position - stop just reacting to the world, and actually get proactive. Start trying to rebuild and find a way to make it long term in this world. You need a lot of people to be able to do that. And Rick's group would be good people to have.

• Love 13

Plus, Judith's last car seat tended to attract a LOT of blood....

Excellent point, but I just kept imagining the sound of a baby sized thud when Judith fell off the seat. A seatbelt, a lap, a cardboard box, a cat carrier...anything. Oh well.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 3

I thought tonight was an alright episode, though I'm disappointed it appears we're getting another Woodbury type storyline instead of going to Washington, which I think has far more potential to be interesting.

Alexandria is just outside of the D.C. metro area, about 20 minutes away with no traffic or walkers. They are essentially in Washington D.C. However, D.C. is densely populated. There would be walkers everywhere. I don't see how it would be safe to actually go into the D.C. Besides, if there is anyone left of the government, they would have been evacuated first.

• Love 10

I really enjoyed Rick and Carol being united in their paranoia and mistrust.  Those two have learned some harsh lessons, and they've stuck.  As an unrepentant shipper, I liked that Rick and Michonne can disagree but maintain the trust and respect that exists between them.  I don't think he would have gone to the community without Michonne pushing him.  It was her desire that influenced his decision.  The man has been through so much that he believes his children are safer on the road and Michonne got through that like no-one else can.  I wish Carl had more lines in this episode; I would have liked to see how he'd vote.  Judith was clearly opposed! 

Abraham and Rosita had some nice moments, re-establishing their relationship.  Glenn was badass and competent, both with the zombie-killing and the vehicle maintenance.  I loved that he actually hesitated for a moment before going to free Aaron.  He made a clear choice to believe in something better. 

The zombie effects were awesome tonight.  I adored the flare-to-skull zombie; well done, effects people.  You have my undying respect.  The horde on the road was another great one, especially when Glenn started mowing through them and Michonne had to go pull limbs out of the vehicle.  I was actually worried about Glenn for a moment but he handled his zombie like the expert he is.  One thing I enjoyed about Aaron was his observation that Rick's group weren't bothered by the Walkers stalking them.  They're so good at killing zombies, they're willing to bide their time.  They're batshit crazy and all, but I'd have Camp Dinner Bell in my group any day.

• Love 15

Every time I think I'm about to give up on this show they pull me back in. Lol. This was a really good episode.

I loved Michonne standing up to Rick and pretty much taking hold of the situation and him respecting what she had to say and though reluctant going with it. All the Richonne stuff was awesome. I'm back and forth on whether I want to see them as a couple. I'm enjoying what the writers are doing with them right now. There's clearly a connection there, but I don't want the writers to screw them up by throwing in a romance.

Badassed Glenn always gets me excited loved seeing him kick ass in what looked to be a cornfield. That sequence, the scene with Rick and Michonne in the woods and the scene with them mowing down the walkers was awesome.

The new guy and his boyfriend seem like genuinely good people. The children playing was also wonderful as was the change in Rick when he heard them. However, I'm still just as paranoid as him - btw, glad he's FINALLY being extremely cautious, after everything that's happened he should be. I'm still not sure these are good people, but for their sakes I hope so. They desperately need a reprieve before things get crazy again.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 10

It doesn't feel like Terminus to me or Woodbury, for that matter. Not every settlement can be bad. There have to be some decent people out there. Now it is going to depend on what happens when they get there. Can all of these people live in a society again or are some of them too far gone?

I enjoyed this episode because it advanced the plot to a place that it has to be. New home. A fresh start, hopefully.

I am concerned about the introduction of new characters but am content to see where it goes.

• Love 6