Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

Cash doesn't really fit him. 

I feel like he needs a warm and fuzzy, cuddly wuddly name. I just can't think of one. 

Maybe you can just give him a human name? Sometimes those end up being really sweet, just because they are unexpected.  Or name him after Chris Evan's dog, Dodger, that is one cuddly dog. :)

• Love 1

From "The Best Ever Book of Dog & Cat Names":  How about Pushinka?  Russian, meaning "fluffy."  Puppy given to Jackie Kennedy by Kruschchev, born to one of the first two dogs to survive space travel (on Sputnik).  Or Bobby--supposedly for Greyfriar's Bobby, but Original Bobby was certainly fuzzy, and kind of cuddly. :)

I once had a cat who chose her own name.  She was curled up on my lap, purring, while I called out every name I could think of, and she didn't even twitch.  Since I was watching ST: TNG, I started calling out the names of all the characters on the show, and when I said "Tasha" she sat up, looked me in the eye and chirped.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I feel like he needs a warm and fuzzy, cuddly wuddly name. I just can't think of one. 

Hee! I had a sweet, sweet, fluffy cuddly kitty - who grew up to be the sweetest cat, too - and so having grown up watching Buggy Bunny as a kid, I of course named him George. (Because "... and I will hold him and squeeze him and pet him and I will call him George.") Weirdly, the name also fit. His "sister's" name was Chobee (my hubby named her after Lake Okeechobee).

@ahrtee, that is a cool story about your cat picking her own name. My George also used to chirp. He chirped at birds, spiders and other bugs, and my pet toads. George loved spiders. And silverfish. He could watch them for hours. (Maybe he picked up his love of bugs from me? ...not Chobee though. Heh, she'd come over and whack them, and poor George's ears would droop and his face would fall all crushed as he looked at the poor, dead critter on the floor. Moths and beetles were for eating though. George was particular about his bug "friends.")

• Love 2

He's starting to answer to "Puppy".  The name Luke kept coming to mind for a while. I think it fits him, I'm just not totally keen on the name. Henry keeps coming to mind as well. Henry might be fitting - sort of. We named our German Shepherd, Shawn, after Shawn Spencer on the TV show Psych. Someone else told me I should name him Gus, but I'm not really big on that name either. 

Brought over from the "Bitch vs Jerk" thread. Somewhat bitchy, but not jerky, and not about the show...

30 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

For me there is a big distinction between reality and fiction in that regard. In the real world, murderers, rapists etc are undoubtedly worse, no contest. But in fictional stories cowards and weakling are the worst or at least second-worst to me, only behind Mary Sues. They hold no enjoyment factor to me when consuming a story which defeats the entire point of entertainment. 

Ahh, okay... got it.

Though even then, I can still say weak characters wouldn't be the worst for me... For me the worst is the character who is always right no matter the circumstances. It's why I got no enjoyment out of House the few times I tried to watch it. Or the character who always wins - which is why I got no enjoyment out of the Road Runner cartoons either.

I guess I was warped from an early age, since one of my favorite of the Looney Tunes characters - Daffy Duck - was famous for saying "I may be a coward, but I'm a greeeeedy little coward."

And though generally a trope, I do sometimes find the meek / weak/ cowardly character who finally stands up to be moderately entertaining... more so than the above characters that I mentioned anyway.

For the most part I like complex characters, and if a complex character is weak but has other interesting attributes, points of view, etc. then I'll likely find them more interesting than a one-dimensional hero. Being more complex is why I find Batman more interesting than Superman.

But I can also see your point in a way. If weakness and/or cowardliness is the only and/or predominant characteristic, especially in a main character or protagonist, I wouldn't find that too entertaining either... For example, being that you don't enjoy characters who are weak - and I'm likely gonna get rocks thrown at me for this one - did you hate the book 1984 as much as I did? I was pretty much thinking "why do I even care about these people?" and "what is the point of all of this?" for most of the book. (I hate large ambiguities in my fiction also - I want to know WHY people / characters / organizations are doing the things they do and it better make some kind of sense, too.) Death of a Salesman, too - ugh. I would have put both of those pieces of fiction down way before the end if I hadn't had to read them for high school, because if they weren't going to stand up for themselves and/or were going to just accept being wimpy, why should I care what happens to them?

And yes, I know... I'm missing the point of 1984. Doesn't make it any more entertaining or less annoying for me.

Ahh, okay... got it.

Though even then, I can still say weak characters wouldn't be the worst for me... For me the worst is the character who is always right no matter the circumstances. It's why I got no enjoyment out of House the few times I tried to watch it. Or the character who always wins - which is why I got no enjoyment out of the Road Runner cartoons either.

I guess I was warped from an early age, since one of my favorite of the Looney Tunes characters - Daffy Duck - was famous for saying "I may be a coward, but I'm a greeeeedy little coward."

And though generally a trope, I do sometimes find the meek / weak/ cowardly character who finally stands up to be moderately entertaining... more so than the above characters that I mentioned anyway.

For the most part I like complex characters, and if a complex character is weak but has other interesting attributes, points of view, etc. then I'll likely find them more interesting than a one-dimensional hero. Being more complex is why I find Batman more interesting than Superman.

But I can also see your point in a way. If weakness and/or cowardliness is the only and/or predominant characteristic, especially in a main character or protagonist, I wouldn't find that too entertaining either... For example, being that you don't enjoy characters who are weak - and I'm likely gonna get rocks thrown at me for this one - did you hate the book 1984 as much as I did? I was pretty much thinking "why do I even care about these people?" and "what is the point of all of this?" for most of the book. (I hate large ambiguities in my fiction also - I want to know WHY people / characters / organizations are doing the things they do and it better make some kind of sense, too.) Death of a Salesman, too - ugh. I would have put both of those pieces of fiction down way before the end if I hadn't had to read them for high school, because if they weren't going to stand up for themselves and/or were going to just accept being wimpy, why should I care what happens to them?

And yes, I know... I'm missing the point of 1984. Doesn't make it any more entertaining or less annoying for me.

I guess for me it`s because I`m not interested in relating characters to my own personal life but at least when it comes to protagonists, I`d like to be inspired by them, maybe admire them, look up to them while keeping them real. This is impossible with Mary Sues as well as cowards so watching those just annoys me. At least in drama, comedy is more flexible. 

As for 1984, totally not my cup of tea, no. I get what the point of it was but I`m very particular about my dystopian future stories and this one just doesn`t do it for me at all. I`m just annoyed with everyone and everything. When it comes to Orwell, I`m "Animal Farm" all the way. The message is equally on the nose but I find it way more entertainingly presented. You can put philosophical themes in stories, no problem, but if I consume them as stories, I still want my entertainment value to go with it. Otherwise, I can attend a lecture or a debate or read a technical manual. 

• Love 1

I was trying to get a photo of New Puppy - nose to nose with my cat, Mr. Crowley, but they both moved. Mr. Crowley is about 15 pounds. The new puppy was much smaller than Mr. Crowley when he arrived. He is catching up pretty quickly. I can't believe how fast he is growing. He is starting to answer to "Puppy".  

I've looked at baby name sites, dog name sites, imdb of shows I watch a lot and movies. Books I like. Nothing fits. 

12 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I`m just annoyed with everyone and everything.

Heh... that described my feelings towards what happened in the book almost the entire time I was reading it, too. And then I had to write some kind of assignment about the book where I somehow didn't make it sound like that's how I felt about it. (Not sure how I pulled that off, myself, and don't remember either.) I agree with everything else you said there also, especially about wanting entertainment value to go along with the message.

As for that English class, the highlight of the assignments that year - which also included the previously mentioned "Death of a Salesman" and Albert Camus' The Stranger - was an assignment where we chose a song which had some Existential themes and analyzed it. I wrote a multi-page analysis of "The Sound of Silence" that I got an "A" on and the teacher kept my assignment. Although Othello wasn't too bad either - better than the rest of the reading material for me anyway.

9 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

He is starting to answer to "Puppy".  

Uh oh. I guess you could take a cue from Sam when he gets older... didn't Sam just call the dog he hit "Dog" for a while?*** Hee. If I'm remembering that correctly, I think that (and the Golem episode) were my favorite things about that season.

*** says the woman who had pet toads called "toadhead" and who calls all of her fish "fishhead." (a bit of Dr. Demento nostalgia.)

Edited by AwesomO4000
11 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

've looked at baby name sites, dog name sites, imdb of shows I watch a lot and movies. Books I like. Nothing fits. 

Can you post a picture? I have no names to offer but I'd love to see your puppy.

2 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Uh oh. I guess you could take a cue from Sam when he gets older... didn't Sam just call the dog he hit "Dog" for a while?*** Hee. If I'm remembering that correctly, I think that (and the Golem episode) were my favorite things about that season.

Columbo just called his dog "Dog". 

It took a full week, but I decided to go with "Lupin".  I'm kind of fond of the actor, David Thewlis, and I didn't want to call the dog, Shane Lizard. 

54 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Can you post a picture? I have no names to offer but I'd love to see your puppy.

I will as soon as I can figure out how to get the pictures off of my phone. For some reason, they don't transfer to my computer. 

• Love 6

I don't know where to post this, so I'll try here.  

Under the new format all I see is a narrow column of text when reading posts in a topic thread.  I have a big wide computer screen that's three quarters empty now.

How do I change this?  Anyone know?

On 1/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, Commando Cody said:

He's starting to answer to "Puppy".  The name Luke kept coming to mind for a while. I think it fits him, I'm just not totally keen on the name. Henry keeps coming to mind as well. Henry might be fitting - sort of. We named our German Shepherd, Shawn, after Shawn Spencer on the TV show Psych. Someone else told me I should name him Gus, but I'm not really big on that name either. 

You could name him Dean, since underneath Dean is a big old teddy bear

32 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Trade you!  It's 11 degrees here.  

I knew somone would say that! Having grown up in Colorado, I wouldn't. I would take a dry 11 degrees over a humid 42 that cuts through skin like nothing. It's s like cold from the inside out. Ive dug out my mittens! And nothing has insulation especially an old building like mine. Brrrrrrrrrr.

19 minutes ago, SueB said:

The Federal Government is shut down today!  It's a snow day in the great DC-Baltimore Metropolitan area.  So... cold... but party with popcorn & Netflix!

How much snow makes a snow day there? 2 inches? Not being snarky. I know they don't get the kind of snow Colorado or further north gets.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I knew somone would say that! Having grown up in Colorado, I wouldn't. I would take a dry 11 degrees over a humid 42 that cuts through skin like nothing. It's s like cold from the inside out. Ive dug out my mittens! And nothing has insulation especially an old building like mine. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Having grown up in NYC (with all its humidity) I still say there's nothing like a nice, brisk minus 10 or 20 degree day! 😊  Though walking through downtown Manhattan at 20 degrees with a steady wind blowing through the "canyons" created by the skyscrapers comes close.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Heheh, I'm just glad someone else said it (I was gonna - Canadian here ;)). There is definitely something to the 'dry cold', just like 'dry heat'. It's all about what it feels like, not what the thermometer says. And then, everything is relative: 50 degrees in the early fall has us putting on our sweaters and warm socks. 50 degrees in March and we're ready to bust out the flip flops!

How much snow makes a snow day there? 2 inches? Not being snarky. I know they don't get the kind of snow Colorado or further north gets.

I'm going to sound like my old grandma here, but jeez, I literally cannot remember having a snow day when I was a kid - no buses canceled, no schools closed. And I lived in the snow belt! Now, if there is even the threat of heavy snow or freezing rain, the whole system shuts down. I'm 100% sure it's all about liability and insurance and our litigation-crazy society.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Heheh, I'm just glad someone else said it (I was gonna - Canadian here ;)). There is definitely something to the 'dry cold', just like 'dry heat'. It's all about what it feels like, not what the thermometer says. And then, everything is relative: 50 degrees in the early fall has us putting on our sweaters and warm socks. 50 degrees in March and we're ready to bust out the flip flops!

I'm going to sound like my old grandma here, but jeez, I literally cannot remember having a snow day when I was a kid - no buses canceled, no schools closed. And I lived in the snow belt! Now, if there is even the threat of heavy snow or freezing rain, the whole system shuts down. I'm 100% sure it's all about liability and insurance and our litigation-crazy society.

THIS.  Most of the time, they are worried about kids at the bus stop, freezing their asses off.  Or the busses getting into accidents.  It's the transporation to and from.  And what risks they are taking, what are they liable for.  And parents HOWL at schools who make decisions mid-day.  Now it's all or nothing (because both parents work).  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Yeah, there's maybe an inch or two? But it's really icy/slushy snow, and we're still having "wintry mix" come down so not a plow in sight yet. At least not here! The snow isn't that bad but we're just not equipped to handle it.

I live in my hometown now (within the DC beltway) and our school district is tiny and pretty urban, no "rough terrain" to speak of. When I was growing up, the schools closed VERY rarely and everyone said it was so that kids could still go in and get their breakfast/lunch. But the superintendents have changed a bunch of times over the past 20ish years (!!!) and nowadays the schools here close pretty frequently. I guess it must be to keep the kids from slipping/falling/freezing and bringing a lawsuit or maybe because of worries of bus accidents/damage, because the one time we got snow on a teacher workday (on February 1st), they still had the teachers come in even though then they sent them home at around 11am.

My mom is a teacher and of course on her way home that day, she skidded into/over a curb and totally fucked up her car. Both front tires had to be replaced, something got messed up with her chassis (?), and she needed a replacement part for her steering column. So her car was in the shop from Feb 1 until this past Sunday, Feb 18! I had to stay with my parents for the duration so that she could share my car while hers was in the shop. OMFG. My parents are lovely and all but I could feel myself becoming more neurotic by the second. And then I was finally able to go home except BOOM it snowed last night/this morning, so I have to stay with them again so I can do their shoveling and stuff. If I end up breaking before the winter weather does, please pour one out in my memory. TIA 😛

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Yeah, there's maybe an inch or two? But it's really icy/slushy snow, and we're still having "wintry mix" come down so not a plow in sight yet. At least not here! The snow isn't that bad but we're just not equipped to handle it.

I live in my hometown now (within the DC beltway) and our school district is tiny and pretty urban, no "rough terrain" to speak of. When I was growing up, the schools closed VERY rarely and everyone said it was so that kids could still go in and get their breakfast/lunch. But the superintendents have changed a bunch of times over the past 20ish years (!!!) and nowadays the schools here close pretty frequently. I guess it must be to keep the kids from slipping/falling/freezing and bringing a lawsuit or maybe because of worries of bus accidents/damage, because the one time we got snow on a teacher workday (on February 1st), they still had the teachers come in even though then they sent them home at around 11am.

My mom is a teacher and of course on her way home that day, she skidded into/over a curb and totally fucked up her car. Both front tires had to be replaced, something got messed up with her chassis (?), and she needed a replacement part for her steering column. So her car was in the shop from Feb 1 until this past Sunday, Feb 18! I had to stay with my parents for the duration so that she could share my car while hers was in the shop. OMFG. My parents are lovely and all but I could feel myself becoming more neurotic by the second. And then I was finally able to go home except BOOM it snowed last night/this morning, so I have to stay with them again so I can do their shoveling and stuff. If I end up breaking before the winter weather does, please pour one out in my memory. TIA 😛

Just spent a half hour chipping away at the slushy mix before it refreezes tonight (creating a 2 ft ice wall wherever a snow plow DID come).  I'm hoping spring comes in about 5 weeks (like on time-ish).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

This is a tough call, because I've lived in both... and both are crappy in their own way. ; )

I grew up in Massachusetts and winters were generally grey and damp along with the cold and snow. Sometimes the sun would be gone for weeks at a time, and it was already dark enough as it was (in winter, the sun sets before 4 PM)...

But then I lived in centralish Indiana for 5 years (West Lafayette) and between the cold and the wind, that was a new level of cold. People didn't generally walk through the parking lots to get into the stores... they ran. And one afternoon as I was walking down the street between two 5 foot piles of snow to get to the Walmart a mile away to get some milk and bread (any hint of snow, and people bought everything - like 8 jugs of milk at a time - so there were often shortages) with the cold wind blowing in my face so that despite a scarf wrapped around most of my face, my snot still froze,*** all I could think of was "what in the hell am I doing here?"

I decided then that maybe that was the coldest that I'd ever been.

I'd never seen snow drifts like that before, because in New England snow was always soft and wet and stayed pretty much where it fell. Indiana snow was often dry, fine, and looked like those idealized snowflake representations. If someone parked their car in the wrong spot and the wind blew right, it could be buried in a 15 foot tall or higher snowdrift.

It's no picnic now here in Georgia though - about 36 degrees and raining with wind, and likely to rain all week. I want to plant my veggie garden seeds. I dug the beds, but then it rained the next day (Sunday), we got one good day (Monday of which I could not take advantage) and it's been raining ever since. It's been a weird winter here. One warm day - like 70- 80 degrees (sometimes with sun, sometimes not) - then it gets really cloudy and/or rains for like 5 - 6 days, getting cold, sometimes freezing at night, repeat. It's been doing that for like a month or more now.

***Wind chills were later reported on the news that night to be around minus 35 - 40 degrees.

4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm going to sound like my old grandma here, but jeez, I literally cannot remember having a snow day when I was a kid - no buses canceled, no schools closed.

Same for me. We went to school even if the heat went out. We just had to wear our coats during class.

We did have some snow days on occasion, though, if things got bad. And during the winter of 1978 *** the high school was closed for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, because it was being used as a shelter.

*** There was a blizzard that knocked out our power for about 2 1/2 weeks - good thing we had a fireplace and food to throw in the snow which was up to the roof. If not for the porch, we may not have been able to get the door open.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Same for me. We went to school even if the heat went out. We just had to wear our coats during class.

We did have some snow days on occasion, though, if things got bad. And during the winter of 1978 *** the high school was closed for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks, because it was being used as a shelter.

That's true - we had days with no lessons, everybody assembled in the gym - but we were still at school. Maybe just because most of us lived within walking distance. 🙂

Two and half weeks with no power though. Yikes!!! I do recall many, many times when we couldn't use the front door (which was up four steps) because the snow was too high. Like you, we had a back porch, or we'd have been climbing out the windows, lol. I don't think the snow ever reaches the second step these days. Winter has changed a LOT, and just in my lifetime - I can't imagine what it will be like in fifty more years.

I can NOT even imagine living in the places you all have described.  Grew up in Texas, kept coming farther south as far as I could.  Yesterday the high was in the 40's and we felt like it was a deep freeze.  Lol.  Perspective.

• Love 2

I spent part of my childhood in Saudi Arabia, and school got cancelled for rain. Occasionally for sand storms too.

And talk about humidity. Y’all don’t even know! People’s glasses would fog up when they stepped outside.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That's true - we had days with no lessons, everybody assembled in the gym - but we were still at school. Maybe just because most of us lived within walking distance. 🙂

Two and half weeks with no power though. Yikes!!! I do recall many, many times when we couldn't use the front door (which was up four steps) because the snow was too high. Like you, we had a back porch, or we'd have been climbing out the windows, lol. I don't think the snow ever reaches the second step these days. Winter has changed a LOT, and just in my lifetime - I can't imagine what it will be like in fifty more years.

That happened in Colorado. The Blizzard of 82 is what finally drove me away LOL.  I'll see if I can find some pics. We had to snowshoe to any store that was open, and that was in the burbs of Denver! Downtown Denver even had 6 foot snow drifts! It was wild!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I can’t relate to Fahrenheit temps.  😳

Heh... but strangely minus 40 degrees is the same whether it's in Celsius or Fahrenheit... it's one place the scales overlap.

So basically with windchill in Indiana it was friggin' cold! Hee!

• Love 1

RIP Luke Perry :'(  I wondered if it was bad when they didn't release many details about the severity of his stroke. So many, thankfully, recover well from stroke these days (when treatment is swift). Grateful for the examples of Robbie (Benedict) and Tim O. I wish Luke were among their numbers.

• Love 2

I think the Arrow ending is due to Stephen Amell deciding to move on. I'm sure the network would have kept it going. Personally, I applaud Stephen' s decision. You gotta know when to stop.

• Love 2

Oh, man, really?

I just found out that Project Runway is returning this Thursday at 8... Why are they doing that to me? Because yes, I am one of those weird people for whom those genres do intersect. It's likely one of the only other long-running shows that I obsess over. I'll have to look and see if they repeat Project Runway later in the night... Crap it's hard to tell. Yes! they do repeat from 11:30 to 1 AM. I can do that.

Season 17 - who knew that show would last that long, though I was hooked from the very first episode. Season 1 was awesome with Wendy Pepper being one of the best reality show self-appointed villainesses (oh come on, that must be a word) ever. It wasn't as good after those first 6 or 7 seasons or so, but there were a few good seasons after - and some really bad ones too (hmmm, why does that sound familiar?). I just can't seem to stop watching it though...

In short, Project Runway is coming back ...and back to Bravo, too! I might be over here at a table for one, but I can't wait! Because as "It's A Terrible Life" Dean says: "All I wanna know is when are they gonna have another show like Project Runway? Man!"

Speaking of theme parks -- is anyone watching Deadly Class? I'm trying to watch the pilot right now. I cannot with the school being called Kings Dominion. I mean, maybe it's a joke, but so far, the show is taking itself EXTREMELY seriously, so I feel like it's maybe just a goofy coincidence. Either way, makes me laugh.

• LOL 1

I watched the TV series 'Chuck' , several years ago on Netflix. I found it again on Amazon Prime recently. I decided to watch the series again. I remember very little of it. Little bits and pieces. However, it is very close to watching the series for the first time. 

• Love 2
On 3/7/2019 at 4:18 AM, Aeryn13 said:

I think the Arrow ending is due to Stephen Amell deciding to move on. I'm sure the network would have kept it going. Personally, I applaud Stephen' s decision. You gotta know when to stop.

I don't think Arrow has been good in a while. I'm glad they get an ending though. 

I read that they were able to save the art works and other precious items from the cathedral. Such a tragedy - a 12th century building that survived the French Revolution, is now probably completely lost. 

• Useful 2