Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I read that they were able to save the art works and other precious items from the cathedral.

Oh, this would be a small comfort likely to most, but for me that would be a big thing. I have a soft spot for art and always feel awful when it is lost.

• Love 4

I'm glad they could save the art. The photos of the beautiful stained glass that will likely be lost was heartbreaking. 😞 I'm not Catholic, nor even religious, but it is a loss for the world and its history.

• Love 1

Went to a matinee showing of Endgame today at my tiny countryside theater (it`s so small, for the matinee showing of Star Wars 7 on opening weekend, I was by myself), expecting like 5 people there. I go into the parking lot and it`s packed. Theater wasn`t full but much more than 5 people. This is gonna be big.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aeryn13 said:

Went to a matinee showing of Endgame today at my tiny countryside theater (it`s so small, for the matinee showing of Star Wars 7 on opening weekend, I was by myself), expecting like 5 people there. I go into the parking lot and it`s packed. Theater wasn`t full but much more than 5 people. This is gonna be big.   

No spoilers, please, but what's your general impression? A worthy conclusion? I'm going tomorrow night.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

No spoilers, please, but what's your general impression? A worthy conclusion? I'm going tomorrow night.

Infinity War, I loved 100 %, everything in it. Endgame, I loved 95 %. One thing didn`t stick the landing for me but overall yes, a very worthy conclusion. I do feel compelled to do a marathon of all the movies now. What an incredible journey. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Infinity War, I loved 100 %, everything in it. Endgame, I loved 95 %. One thing didn`t stick the landing for me but overall yes, a very worthy conclusion. I do feel compelled to do a marathon of all the movies now. What an incredible journey. 

Awesome! I'm so looking forward to it. Of all the movies, the only one I didn't love was Civil War, which I felt was too dark for Marvel, but I still enjoyed it. Can't wait until tomorrow! I might have to stay offline tomorrow just to make sure I don't get spoiled, lol.

20 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I second @gonzosgirrl's "Awesome!" I can't wait. I was going to ask the same thing about if the movie was good once you'd seen it, but gonzosgirrl beat me to it.

Hubby and I will be going this weekend some time.

Edited to add: Both for you and @gonzosgirrl, what was your favorite movie of the series (and or affiliated Marvel movies)? Or would it be too difficult to choose a favorite? Maybe top 3?

Edited by AwesomO4000
10 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I second @gonzosgirrl's "Awesome!" I can't wait. I was going to ask the same thing about if the movie was good once you'd seen it, but gonzosgirrl beat me to it.

Hubby and I will be going this weekend some time.

Edited to add: Both for you and @gonzosgirrl, what was your favorite movie of the series (and or affiliated Marvel movies)? Or would it be too difficult to choose a favorite? Maybe top 3?

Top 3?  The first Avengers movie, Winter Soldier and Infinity War. With IW probably wearing the crown. But those are all perfect 10/10s.

Of course the first Iron Man is great. Also really liked Thor and Doctor Strange. And Ant-man. 

None of them I disliked. Unless the first Hulk counts. Haven't seen Captain Marvel yet.  

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Top 3?  The first Avengers movie, Winter Soldier and Infinity War. With IW probably wearing the crown.

But those are all perfect 10/10s.

Of course the first Iron Man is great. Also really liked Thor and Doctor Strange. And Ant-man. 

I agree with that top three, except that I would probably exchange Winter Soldier - which was really good, I agree, and would be a close 4th - with Thor: Ragnarok, because I thought that was so much fun, and I love Thor and Loki together for some reason.

I also enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy - both, but the first a bit more than the second. And agree on Iron Man. And though it was a bit dark, I also liked Civil war.

I missed Dr. Strange, Ant Man and the Wasp, and Captain Marvel.

3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Top 3?  The first Avengers movie, Winter Soldier and Infinity War. With IW probably wearing the crown. But those are all perfect 10/10s.

None of them I disliked. Unless the first Hulk counts. Haven't seen Captain Marvel yet.  

That's a tough one.  Winter Soldier takes the #1 spot for sure, that's a hell of a movie.  I didn't like Civil War that much because they relied too much on ignoring the elephants in the room to make the premise work( and not allowing the very obvious points that should have been made to be made, and also it was a Cap movie that didn't actually STAR Captain America(IM had as much screen time AND more lines in Cap's final solo outing, that was just insulting). I quite The First Avenger too - they had to sell that Steve Rogers was a hero before he ever took that serum and that the serum really simply made his outside match his inside and they did a great job of it.

Thor Ragnarok has a lot of re-watch value as well.  But I at least like nearly all of them except Hulk and IM 2 so it's hard to choose anything beyond that.  Winter Soldier is tops and then everything else just sort of jockeys for position based on what mood I'm in. 🙂

Edited by tessathereaper
19 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

That's a tough one.  Winter Soldier takes the #1 spot for sure, that's a hell of a movie.  I didn't like Civil War that much because they relied too much on ignoring the elephants in the room to make the premise work( and not allowing the very obvious points that should have been made to be made, and also it was a Cap movie that didn't actually STAR Captain America(IM had as much screen time AND more lines in Cap's final solo outing, that was just insulting). I quite The First Avenger too - they had to sell that Steve Rogers was a hero before he ever took that serum and that the serum really simply made his outside match his inside and they did a great job of it.

Thor Ragnarok has a lot of re-watch value as well.  But I at least like nearly all of them except Hulk and IM 2 so it's hard to choose anything beyond that.  Winter Soldier is tops and then everything else just sort of jockeys for position based on what mood I'm in. 🙂

I think I'm seeing Endgame on Monday. I would probably say Black Panther for my fave, I also liked Civil War, Thor, and the first Captain America, and Captain Marvel. 

Loved End Game. A fitting ending to the ten year arc, I think. 

I don't think this qualifies as a spoiler,  more of  a PSA, but just in case:

Spoiler

For the first time I can recall,  there is nothing after the end credits. I guess it really is over 😞

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Loved End Game. A fitting ending to the ten year arc, I think. 

I don't think this qualifies as a spoiler,  more of  a PSA, but just in case:

Reveal spoiler

For the first time I can recall,  there is nothing after the end credits. I guess it really is over 😞

Glad you enjoyed it. I really think the most rewarding experience if you followed all the MCU movies so far. Not that it is absolutely neccessary to have seen all but if you did, it's like a thousand little rewards.

Am looking for the score now. There is a brilliant piece of music in the climax.

And well, we know Phase 4 will start next year but phase 1 - 3 was a ten year era.   

Edited by Aeryn13
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2019 at 11:29 PM, Aeryn13 said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I really think the most rewarding experience if you followed all the MCU movies so far. Not that it is absolutely neccessary to have seen all but if you did, it's like a thousand little rewards.

Am looking for the score now. There is a brilliant piece of music in the climax.

And well, we know Phase 4 will start next year but phase 1 - 3 was a ten year era.   

Totally agree! The only one I haven't seen is Captain Marvel, but I've seen enough of the press and clips to get the idea. There was some fabulous meta along with the easter eggs.

Spoiler

America's ass is my favourite. LOL!

Agree on the music as well. And

Spoiler

(I don't think this is a spoiler so much as a PSA but just in case) while there is no treat at the end of the credits this time (and didn't that drive home that it really is 'the end')

the opening credits and the main character credits at the end brought a tear to my eye.

Totally agree! The only one I haven't seen is Captain Marvel, but I've seen enough of the press and clips to get the idea. 

Yeah, I`ve not seen this one either and it didn`t detract from the viewving experience of Endgame at all. 

Basically, I thought this Saga had an epic conclusion that paid nice tribute and cemented the legacy aspects of everything that was build in the last ten years. If you think back to the humble beginnings, first meetings, accomplishments and losses along the way. Those characters left their mark on the world, on- and offscreen. And I think the movie showed that. 

As we know cementing and honoring legacy is not easy. Kudos to the Marvel folks. 

I`m also happy for them because way back when they were the little mocked outsider. I know a fair bit about comics and I know technically who Iron Man was but he was a C-list character in pop culture at best. And people laughed at Marvel and thought they would fail with their little movies. The first Cap and Thor movies didn`t set the box office on fire though I think they were liked okay. But more derision and laughter. But they trudged on, they didn`t rush it, they didn`t shy away from risks like ultra-weird space movies like Guardians, they kept their head down and followed their plan. Putting so much love and care into this Saga. 

And now they are the juggernaut and all the previous mockers wish they had that success formula. 

• Love 4

No Spoilers but Endgame does some things you expect but maybe not the way you expect.  lol

Will have to rewatch and I had seen Captain Marvel but not the Hulk movies and only two Thor movies.

IronMan 1 is fav

1st Avenger movie

GOTG 1

Antman

Infinity & endgame not sure where to put them.  But definitely, want to watch all of them again.

I have a few nitpicks for Endgame but won't say because it would mean talking about spoilers so that can wait.  But on the whole, it was satisfying.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, Aeryn13 said:

Say what you want about the DCEU movies so far but casting was never their problem.

Umm, casting has ALWAYS been the WB' problem. They can't cast for shit.

If you can't buy a certain actor for a role, then the whole movie becomes problematic for you.   

Affleck for Batman? that sniveling guy for Lex fucking Luthor? That ten pound girl for WW? I still haven't seen Aquaman because I just don't want to see Momoa in the role. 

Granted, some availed themselves and did great, like Gadot, but unless they get casting right and more importantly, mood and tone, the DC universe is going to continue to suck balls and fall far, far behind the Marvel world.   The tv shows on the CW seem to be doing better than the movies. No wonder they keep adding to the DC universe. 

Pattinson is a truly horrible, horrible choice. They would lose a Batman fan forever if this is really the case. 

Edited by Ninamags
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Ninamags said:

If you can't buy a certain actor for a role, then the whole movie becomes problematic for you.   

Affleck for Batman? that sniveling guy for Lex fucking Luthor? That ten pound girl for WW? I still haven't seen Aquaman because I just don't want to see Momoa in the role. 

Granted, some availed themselves and did great, like Gadot, but unless they get casting right and more importantly, mood and tone, the DC universe is going to continue to suck balls and fall far, far behind the Marvel world.   The tv shows on the CW seem to be doing better than the movies. No wonder they keep adding to the DC universe. 

Pattinson is a truly horrible, horrible choice. They would lose a Batman fan forever if this is really the case. 

I had no problem with Affleck, Gadot, Cavill or Momoa in their respective roles. Eisenberg is not a bad actor but his interpretation of the role was completely bonkers - that is something a director should have fixed. He only played Lex Luthor Jr., as in not the real Lex but that kinda got lost in all the problems the movie had. 

I`m not keen on Pattinson for Batman but if he does horribly, I`ll just shrug it off. There have been a gazillion iterations of the character, why should this one bother me?

However, I will give it a chance. There is "wow, that looks like bad casting" beforehand and "wow, this sucks" when seeing the movie. Some of the weirdest casting choices in movie history have paid off, some have not.  Granted, Pattionson is the only one so far that gives me a "I dont know if I can buy this ever" feeling, didn`t have that with the others.  My main problem with him is most really shallow: he has never done it for me in the looks department.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ninamags said:

This is true, love Marvel or not, it's like they grew their cast in a lab specifically FOR these roles. LOL 

RDJ perfect for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Everyone shaded Chris Evans when he was cast as Captain America, including me, but he was absolutely perfect for the role, I adore him as Steve Rogers.(And he has an awesome dog named Dodger, not Steve Rogers, Chris Evans, I so identify with him as a dog person)

Chris Hemsworth is terrific as Thor and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Anthony Mackie is just right for Sam Wilson/Falcon/Cap, etc, etc, etc and that has just continued as the universe has grown.  Whatever weaknesses they might have, casting of their heroes is definitely not one of them.

Whereas with DC is seems more like "well, they'll do" and they mostly have "done", but IMO I don't think any of them "became" the role the way Marvel's have.  

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 1

I've only ever seen Iron Man (which I enjoyed) and Wonder Woman (which was monotonous and way too long).

I'm not a fan of superhero movies. I don't want Jensen in a superhero movie. 

I know... I'm weird. 😋  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

and Wonder Woman (which was monotonous and way too long).

I thought I was the only one and felt bad for not getting why it was supposedly so awesome... so good to hear I'm not alone on this one.

• Love 2

I don't know if any of you watch America's Got Talent (my guilty pleasure) but it premiered last night and this is one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Fair warning, if you have make-up on, be prepared to re-do it.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know if any of you watch America's Got Talent (my guilty pleasure) but it premiered last night and this is one of the best things I've seen in a long time. Fair warning, if you have make-up on, be prepared to re-do it.

You know what really got me? The song choice. I play the piano and have an Elton John song book, and that song is a sneakily difficult piece. That was remarkable!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

You know what really got me? The song choice. I play the piano and have an Elton John song book, and that song is a sneakily difficult piece. That was remarkable!

Both the playing and the singing - what a range. It really is incredible what talents can lie beneath the most unlikely of appearances.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't decide if this belongs here or in Fanfiction, but since it involves another show...

I LOVE this. For anyone who watched Good Omens.

https://twitter.com/MissArtsy_/status/1139225911000219649

ETA Can anybody explain to me why sometimes tweets embed, sometimes they just link, and sometimes (like this time) they don't work at all (here on primetimer)? I am at a loss to figure it out.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I can't decide if this belongs here or in Fanfiction, but since it involves another show...

I LOVE this. For anyone who watched Good Omens.

https://twitter.com/MissArtsy_/status/1139225911000219649

ETA Can anybody explain to me why sometimes tweets embed, sometimes they just link, and sometimes (like this time) they don't work at all (here on primetimer)? I am at a loss to figure it out.

Ah, that's awesome! A crossover I'd love to see.

• Love 1

I just finished Good Omens and it’s amazing how similar it is to Supernatural. It almost seems like a rip off until you realize the book was written in 1990. Now a ton of shows that inspired Supernatural have been made. You can see the seeds in Preacher, Constantine, Evil Dead and now Good Omens. I wish the current writers could have found similar inspiration from whatever source instead of just retelling old Supernatural episodes.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I haven't watched the Evil Dead series, but the movies it's based on came out of the 1980s. 

Pretty much all of them came out in the 80’s and 90’s in comics, books or movies. You could probably include The House with a clock in its walls too since Kripke talked about how much it influenced him. The source material all came out decades before Supernatural. It’s just took that long for them to become tv series. It’s just weird that it looks like they are copying Supernatural when it’s really the other way around. 

2 hours ago, Lastcall said:

Pretty much all of them came out in the 80’s and 90’s in comics, books or movies. You could probably include The House with a clock in its walls too since Kripke talked about how much it influenced him. The source material all came out decades before Supernatural. It’s just took that long for them to become tv series. It’s just weird that it looks like they are copying Supernatural when it’s really the other way around. 

Supernatural kind of seemed like what the spin-off from 'Charmed' should have been - the two sons of Piper, fighting evil.  

(edited)

I am about finished with my re-watch of Eureka. It was still pretty good, but I don't know if it's holding up all that well.  I think binge watching is the way to go though. I have gone through the series a few times now, but still couldn't remember that many of the episodes of the first two seasons. It was like watching the some of the episodes for the first time. I assume not remembering the episodes is from binge watching the series.  I must have been okay with Allison when I watched it week to week.  Binge watching the series this time around started to make her not all that likable after a while. 

Going by one of the "previously on Eureka" scenes, I'm pretty sure Amazon Prime is missing an episode. 

Edited by Commando Cody

It just occurred to me today... As of now when Supernatural ends, for the first time that I can remember, I won't have a "show" anymore.

I've always seemed to have one show or another that was "my show." Sometimes I had a few, but lately it was just one. When I was a teen, it was "Hill Street Blues." Just before Supernatural, it was Buffy, the Vampire Slayer / Angel: The Series. I had hoped The Walking Dead could take over for a while to tide me over, but they killed Carl (in more ways than one, the bastards), and they wouldn't kill Negan,*** so there went that plan.

I don't even have any candidates. It's going to be weird and disconcerting for me not having a show to be "my show."

***I had so wanted Carl to kill Negan, but I would've taken anybody killing Negan.

• Love 1

I loved Buffy and Angel and have the boxed sets and often watch the DVDs.  I watched both series 'live' but didn't get involved in online discussions or complaints about writing or anything like that.  I don't even know if there was an outlet for that kind of thing back then.  Maybe there was, but it was much smaller. I just watched episodes and liked some more than others.  Whoever came up with the annoying 'potentials' storyline killed the show, although I think SMG was done anyway.

Supernatural - well, Dean Winchester - has been my only passion since 2012.  And even that is waning now, thanks to Dabb and his weird grudge against the character. 

When he came on board Dabb got too focused on 'hunters'.  Everyone and their aunt was suddenly a super hunter. The notion of 'hunting' became a dashing and daring thing. It used to be a furtive and dirty and dangerous.  Hunters were messed up crazies most of the time. They worked at night and alone.  Dabb cleaned it all up and turned it into nothing at all. The whole crux of the show was now - nothing at all. 

He  totally missed out on what fans wanted from Mary- a family for Dean and Sam.  Because they were truly the lost boys.   But, of course, Dabb was so hellbent on his 'it's all about hunting, y'all' jag that Mother was drained of motherly warmth and an overnight hunting sensation. (Although more of a Tell than a Show when it came to Mary and hunting TBH. She seemed pretty stupid most times)

And now we have Jack - served up as Teen Castiel for the twitter crowd.  Whereas audiences had an opportunity to connect with Cas before his  powers waxed and waned according to plot  - we've not had the same opportunity with Jack. He was foisted on us     To see Castiel lost or beaten or an enemy of the boys was difficult - to see Jack coughing up blood actually made me laugh. 

Anyway I realize I've gone on too long and probably in the wrong thread.

I have the horrible suspicion  season 15 will be like some poorly composed Fanfiction. Trying to please anyone but  the one loyal fans that actually care.

My only excitement at the moment is  where Jensen's career will take him. 

• Love 9