Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Is this the thread to say I just booked tickets for my first Supernatural Convention and am really excited?

Which one? Despite the few nitpicks (and the price!!!) I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed all my experiences and regret nothing!

The one in Charlotte this August. My sister and nephew are going with me. Fanatic people, nerdy things. The family business. I feel like the package i got was relatively fair for three days of Supernatural people, especially since this isn't a regular thing for me. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

The one in Charlotte this August. My sister and nephew are going with me. Fanatic people, nerdy things. The family business. I feel like the package i got was relatively fair for three days of Supernatural people, especially since this isn't a regular thing for me. 

I hope you have a blast. In all my four cons I have only missed two panels (by choice). Every single one of them had something fun, or interesting, even the ones who don't really have much connection to the show anymore. I find it very entertaining. If you are into that sort of thing, try to get in on the Yes/No trivia game on Friday. I actually won one round and got $150 Creation gift certificate. I got the lovely coffee table book with it, and some tees and gifts. It's fun (but brush up on your trivia before you go!).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't watch a lot of TV.  The only Emmy nominated show I watch is The Handmaid's Tale.  No nominations for Jensen again this year.

If you watch network tv at all you're probably sorely disappointed (like me). Pretty much all the major category nominations are for cable/streaming shows. As far as I can remember, only This Is Us in the drama category, and Blackish for comedy. A very few actors made the cut. I was v happy to see Tatiana Maslany get nominated for the final season of Orphan Black. She is incredible.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I don't watch a lot of TV.  The only Emmy nominated show I watch is The Handmaid's Tale.  No nominations for Jensen again this year.

The Emmys have long been a joke and will remain so until they separate the premium (cable and streaming) shows from broadcast TV. I watch a lot of TV, but have only seen a couple of the shows that were nominated since I don't have HBO, Hulu, Amazon, or any of the other special channels/streams that you have to pay for separately (looking at you, CBS All Access :( ). It's become even more of a joke than it has been in previous years before streaming became the new thing with special programming.

• Love 5

I read that ratings for  Award Shows are dropping from year to year.  I won't bother with the Emmy's as I have nothing and no one to cheer for.   I pay a small fortune each month to Rogers Cable.  I'm not forking out for streaming options too.

I agree re Tatiana Maslany.  I'd love to see her work with Jensen some day.

• Love 3

And the rollercoaster continues, my Dad has cancer.  The tumor is rare and large.  Looking at options but one just got taken off as a possibility.  For the most part, my dad is in good spirits.

That said, I did something stupid, not related to my dad's issue.  Not talking about it with friends as they will just confirm I was stupid.  I caved and bought something that was really expensive luxury items because somehow my logical brain died and the emotional one took over.  Of course, there isn't a refund so I'm stuck.  I can pay for it, I just have to dig into my savings and then pay myself back.  It might mean having to teach for 3 years instead of two.  Of course, with the lack of support for retired teachers in health care, I might have to go another year anyway.

I decided I needed a place to sort of come clean and I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends what I did.  So if you get a pushy sells person trying to get to buy something you think you really want, tell them you have to think about it.  If I had done that, I wouldn't be in this situation.  So maybe someone can learn from my costly mistake.

I'm also doing physical therapy as my nervous system seems to be on overload, so trying to calm it all down.  I could use the excuse that it is causing my emotions to go rampant...but that may just be my way of trying to make myself feel better.  Hope all are having a blessed fun summer.

7 hours ago, 7kstar said:

And the rollercoaster continues, my Dad has cancer.  The tumor is rare and large.  Looking at options but one just got taken off as a possibility.  For the most part, my dad is in good spirits.

That said, I did something stupid, not related to my dad's issue.  Not talking about it with friends as they will just confirm I was stupid.  I caved and bought something that was really expensive luxury items because somehow my logical brain died and the emotional one took over.  Of course, there isn't a refund so I'm stuck.  I can pay for it, I just have to dig into my savings and then pay myself back.  It might mean having to teach for 3 years instead of two.  Of course, with the lack of support for retired teachers in health care, I might have to go another year anyway.

I decided I needed a place to sort of come clean and I'm too embarrassed to tell my friends what I did.  So if you get a pushy sells person trying to get to buy something you think you really want, tell them you have to think about it.  If I had done that, I wouldn't be in this situation.  So maybe someone can learn from my costly mistake.

I'm also doing physical therapy as my nervous system seems to be on overload, so trying to calm it all down.  I could use the excuse that it is causing my emotions to go rampant...but that may just be my way of trying to make myself feel better.  Hope all are having a blessed fun summer.

Don’t beat yourself up over this! I know that’s easier said than done. It sounds like you already have a plan about how to make this right. I know you don’t want to have to wait another year before retiring, but you may have had to do that anyway. You’re taking responsibility for your purchase, and you have a plan about paying it back, so don’t beat yourself up over this forever. What’s done is done.

Nobody handles their finances perfectly all the time. Your friends have overspent at some point too; most people have. Money is a tricky topic that people have been conditioned not to talk about, so we all sort of do our own thing and hope we’re doing it right.

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I hope his doctors are able to find the right option for his care. I’m sure you are a very great comfort to your dad right now, and the fact that he is in good spirits is a credit to you. I also hope your physical therapy helps you feel better. You have a lot going on right now, so don’t be too hard on yourself.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, 7kstar said:

First of all, I'm so sorry about your Dad.  I know what it's like to deal with the rollercoaster, especially over a parent's health, and you have to expect emotional ups and downs, even if you have a plan and know you (and the doctors) are doing everything they can.  Don't underestimate the stress on yourself and other family members.  Everyone reacts differently, so just be patient, even with yourself.   Long-term stress often comes out in strange ways, sometimes much later, and the first rule of caregiving (even emotional, not physical) is to take care of yourself, too.  The rollercoaster depletes your emotional stores and makes it harder to maintain your balance.

I also learned that my "logical" brain goes offline during times of extreme stress, even when I don't realize anything is wrong.  From everything I've read, it's normal.  And sometimes, when you're feeling overwhelmed, especially with things you can't do anything to fix, the emotional side of the brain needs something good, something to make you feel better, and doesn't always stop to think about whether it's logical or how much it costs.  Hopefully what you bought was something you'll enjoy (or would have, if you hadn't started feeling stupid/guilty).  So my advice (even though I have a hard time with it myself!) is to let it go, tell yourself it was a gift, so you can enjoy it instead of seeing it as something you did wrong.  Try to get some pleasure out of it instead of guilt.

PT is a good idea, as is exercise in general.  I'd also suggest talking to someone--a therapist, a support group, or someone else who can reassure you that everything you're going through is normal, and not a weakness or something you're doing wrong. 

And feel free to PM me if you just want to whimper or complain.  Believe me, I've been there, done that, and a sympathetic ear can help.

• Love 7

Aretha Franklin and Elvis Presley both died on this day. The King, and the Queen of Soul. 

It was brought to my attention, by someone else, that Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues - also died on this day.  

Two kings and a queen. 

• Love 5

woah, 11 notifs in my profile. looks like a made quite a racket. don't worry folks, i will get to them eventually, i just need to catch up with the current eps i'm at in S9. it won't be long.

(i didn't post this in the SPN thread section for fear i would lock it, so to be safe i chose this.)

18 minutes ago, Iju said:
  Hide contents

woah, 11 notifs in my profile. looks like a made quite a racket. don't worry folks, i will get to them eventually, i just need to catch up with the current eps i'm at in S9. it won't be long.

(i didn't post this in the SPN thread section for fear i would lock it, so to be safe i chose this.)

This isn't a spoiler. ;)

• Love 2

We were told we can't "complain" about this new thread set-up in the "Thread Reference Guide" so I'm going to state it here: I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS NEW SET-UP! WE HAVE TO PAGE UP AND DOWN TO GET TO A TOPIC WE'RE INTERESTED IN. AND YES, I AM SHOUTING. NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE!

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

We were told we can't "complain" about this new thread set-up in the "Thread Reference Guide" so I'm going to state it here: I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS NEW SET-UP! WE HAVE TO PAGE UP AND DOWN TO GET TO A TOPIC WE'RE INTERESTED IN. AND YES, I AM SHOUTING. NOT THAT IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE!

Yes, and it's been more annoying in the last 2 days. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, FlickChick said:

My solution is to use the 'mark all as read' but on (or whatever it's called) when all the old threads get bumped. Then sort by unread after. At least then only new posts will come to the top. It's far from ideal, but it's something.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

My solution is to use the 'mark all as read' but on (or whatever it's called) when all the old threads get bumped. Then sort by unread after. At least then only new posts will come to the top. It's far from ideal, but it's something.

Thanks for the tip; I'm giving it a try. :)

On 8/18/2018 at 1:06 PM, FlickChick said:

I'll shout with you, to say it's frustrating would be a tremendous understatement!

On 8/18/2018 at 1:49 PM, DeeDee79 said:

Yes, and it's been more annoying in the last 2 days. 

ITA 100%. 

• Love 1

Hey all, we know that the absence of sub-forums is currently making the forum difficult to navigate.   However, the threads--including this one--are not the place to vent your frustrations about this.  If you would like to discuss it with your fellow posters, utilizing the Private Message function is an excellent way to do so.

5b7b4dac44d8a_SPNSandwich.gif.0eb7cbace106b08da74c50b8fa8df55e.gif

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

I just got back from my first con. It was awesome. If I go to another one, I want a package that involves more J2, but still I had a great time. And I won $100 gift certificate in the music video contest!

Congrats! Do you have a link to your vid?

10 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Congrats! Do you have a link to your vid?

Sadly no. It was one I made before that YouTube claimed copyright on the song, so I figured it had to be let into the world somehow. They ran out of time and didn't even play it. I do have the shortened one I edited for YouTube with a slower cover of the song.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Sadly no. It was one I made before that YouTube claimed copyright on the song, so I figured it had to be let into the world somehow. They ran out of time and didn't even play it. I do have the shortened one I edited for YouTube with a slower cover of the song.

That was great! I am not familiar with that song, but it fits our boys well. Congrats again on the win!

Just a side note, if you want to upload your full vid just for sharing, you can put it on Google drive.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
autocorrect sucks

Brought over from the "Spoilers With Speculation" thread. No spoilers:

2 hours ago, S Cook Productions said:

I’ll be at dragoncon! Does anyone go to the supernatural fan panel?

The panel almost always fills up. Depending on what day it is, it may also require you to get there early and get in line. Last year, they gave us a bigger room, so that was helpful.

I must confess though, that I don't prefer the track that they put the panel in now, and I don't like the panelists as much... but mainly because many of them are early season "snobs," in my opinion. They like to rag on season 7 a lot, and last year, I created a mini coup of sorts in interjecting - appropriately - that I loved season 7. A fellow fan behind me said "yeah, season 7 is awesome" and we high fived. A few of the panelists were annoyed I think, but I didn't care. I'd put up with three years in a row of their season 7 bashing, so a coup was due.

In a way it's kind of too bad, too, because the Supernatural panels used to be in the X-Track with the X-Files and other similar shows. And yes, there were multiple panels. We had 4 in the years before they shuffled us off to the Urban Fantasy panel, and they were all well attended.

However, sometimes the panels can be awesome. Sometimes it depends on the questions fans ask that year. Sometimes there's a surprise. Two or three years ago, it turned out that Osric Chau (Kevin) had been sitting in on the panel and no one knew it until the end... because he was in a cosplay costume. I think I've heard he's into cosplay, so I think he was just at Dragon*Con as a participant, since there's a cosplay contingency there.

Something unique perhaps to the panel at Dragon*Con is that there is a panelist who is a minister (I think - he is a church leader for sure), and is a religion expert as well as a fan of the show, so he brings some interesting perspectives on the spirituality of the show.

• Love 1
On 8/26/2018 at 11:25 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

Brought over from the "Spoilers With Speculation" thread. No spoilers:

The panel almost always fills up. Depending on what day it is, it may also require you to get there early and get in line. Last year, they gave us a bigger room, so that was helpful.

I must confess though, that I don't prefer the track that they put the panel in now, and I don't like the panelists as much... but mainly because many of them are early season "snobs," in my opinion. They like to rag on season 7 a lot, and last year, I created a mini coup of sorts in interjecting - appropriately - that I loved season 7. A fellow fan behind me said "yeah, season 7 is awesome" and we high fived. A few of the panelists were annoyed I think, but I didn't care. I'd put up with three years in a row of their season 7 bashing, so a coup was due.

In a way it's kind of too bad, too, because the Supernatural panels used to be in the X-Track with the X-Files and other similar shows. And yes, there were multiple panels. We had 4 in the years before they shuffled us off to the Urban Fantasy panel, and they were all well attended.

However, sometimes the panels can be awesome. Sometimes it depends on the questions fans ask that year. Sometimes there's a surprise. Two or three years ago, it turned out that Osric Chau (Kevin) had been sitting in on the panel and no one knew it until the end... because he was in a cosplay costume. I think I've heard he's into cosplay, so I think he was just at Dragon*Con as a participant, since there's a cosplay contingency there.

Something unique perhaps to the panel at Dragon*Con is that there is a panelist who is a minister (I think - he is a church leader for sure), and is a religion expert as well as a fan of the show, so he brings some interesting perspectives on the spirituality of the show.

Yes, IA with all of this! I've been attending that panel for a few years now. Fr. Bryan Small (I think is his name) is my favorite part of that panel! He's a Catholic priest and to hear him be a fan and explain the actual true bible stories that SUPERNATURAL comes out of is completely fascinating! I heard he wasn't doing the panel this year? :(

I'll be there, will you? I wasn't there the Osric year- sorry I missed it. Yes, the panelists are early season snobs and as much as I loved seasons 4-5, I LOVED a lot of the past recent seasons too!

31 minutes ago, S Cook Productions said:

I'll be there, will you?

I'm going to make every effort to be there. The panel is at a busy time in that there's a lot going on that night. I may have to miss the Dr. Horrible Sing-a-long Blog this year (which is earlier this year) and the Georgia Philharmonic Orchestra and then run off to the "Solve for X Science Variety Show" (which is usually on Sunday after the MST3K movies) afterwards, but I'll make it. I'll be dressed up as Jayne Cobb from Firefly (just look for a homemade Jayne hat). I go for an easy costume at the busy times... I only wear my AwesomO costume on occasion when there's not a lot of panels I want to see, and usually my hubby helps me get to the Marriott and parks me there for a while   ; ) and picks me up later. I may not even bring my AwesomO costume this year, though, until we see what the security situation is going to be like. After the awfulness in Jacksonville, I know there are concerns.

Edited by AwesomO4000
Damn typos.
On 8/29/2018 at 5:06 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

I'm going to make every effort to be there. The panel is at a busy time in that there's a lot going on that night. I may have to miss the Dr. Horrible Sing-a-long Blog this year (which is earlier this year) and the Georgia Philharmonic Orchestra and then run off to the "Solve for X Science Variety Show" (which is usually on Sunday after the MST3K movies) afterwards, but I'll make it. I'll be dressed up as Jayne Cobb from Firefly (just look for a homemade Jayne hat). I go for an easy costume at the busy times... I only wear my AwesomO costume on occasion when there's not a lot of panels I want to see, and usually my hubby helps me get to the Marriott and parks me there for a while   ; ) and picks me up later. I may not even bring my AwesomO costume this year, though, until we see what the security situation is going to be like. After the awfulness in Jacksonville, I know there are concerns.

Yeah. I’m here. In my Star Trek Enterprise costume today. I’m not sure yet what I’m wearing tomorrow. I think my hubby and I will do Gilligan and Skipper. Then on Sunday, I think I’ll do Bilbo Baggins for part of the day and T. rex at night. Anyway, I’ll look for you (although I’ve never seen Firefly ?)

I left my AwesomO costume behind this year, but a Jayne hat is pretty easy to spot. It'll look like this: https://www.tvfanatic.com/gallery/adam-baldwin-jayne-cobb-firefly/. There might be more than one Jayen hat in the room, but I'll be wearing a brown shirt with dinosaurs - a Wash shirt - and a green army surplus jacket and a gun holster... and I'll have an AwesomO name tag. I'll keep an eye out for Gilligan and Skipper.... or Bilbo Baggins : ) .

Jayne's a pretty fun character - Here's an amusing BuzzFeed thing on him (don't worry, it's all on one page... not one of those annoying click a million times things): 23 times Jayne Cobb set the perfect example.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 3:00 AM, AwesomO4000 said:

I left my AwesomO costume behind this year, but a Jayne hat is pretty easy to spot. It'll look like this: https://www.tvfanatic.com/gallery/adam-baldwin-jayne-cobb-firefly/. There might be more than one Jayen hat in the room, but I'll be wearing a brown shirt with dinosaurs - a Wash shirt - and a green army surplus jacket and a gun holster... and I'll have an AwesomO name tag. I'll keep an eye out for Gilligan and Skipper.... or Bilbo Baggins : ) .

Jayne's a pretty fun character - Here's an amusing BuzzFeed thing on him (don't worry, it's all on one page... not one of those annoying click a million times things): 23 times Jayne Cobb set the perfect example.

I couldn't make it! My Star Trek panel at the Hilton ran way over, and the crowd to get to the Westin was insane! What did I miss?

When I was here in June I went to both. They were both really nice places. I’ll definitely be going to Jared’s bar because I’m a whiskey drinker and it’s downtown where I’m staying. I probably won’t be going to Family Buisness Beer company because it’s about 45 mins away and I don’t have a car this trip. Besides, I don’t drink beer and there’s zero chance Jensen will be there because he’s shooting in Vancouver, right? I also plan to check out the new bar that Jared instagrammed about the other day. It’s a 90s bar and looks cool. It’s called Stereotype. Does he own that too?

15 hours ago, S Cook Productions said:

When I was here in June I went to both. They were both really nice places. I’ll definitely be going to Jared’s bar because I’m a whiskey drinker and it’s downtown where I’m staying. I probably won’t be going to Family Buisness Beer company because it’s about 45 mins away and I don’t have a car this trip. Besides, I don’t drink beer and there’s zero chance Jensen will be there because he’s shooting in Vancouver, right? I also plan to check out the new bar that Jared instagrammed about the other day. It’s a 90s bar and looks cool. It’s called Stereotype. Does he own that too?

I think so.

• Love 1

I haven't really been around.  Turns out my dad didn't have cancer, but the tumor was much larger than expected.  So the miracle was that it was removed in ten minutes; in one piece and was bigger than a foot or my dad's head.  Every doctor was amazed since it was in his chest between the lungs, heart and such.  He is finally home.

Then we got the news that my cousin's husband has liver cancer with him already being a diabetic.  So now that battle is beginning.

So far most of my classes are doing well, I'm just really tired and not sleeping well.   I can't complain too much as life is for the most part good.  I did enjoy listening to Jensen sing and I’m happy to see him being comfortable being in front of the crowd.  Of course, I should have been grading...oops.  Shame I can’t make Supernatural conventions classroom assignments.  Trying to end on the positive.  :)  Man, the spacing is weird on this post tonight.

• Love 2

I haven't dressed up for Halloween in a long time. I'm going to the Supernatural Convention in Minneapolis. I'm staying in Minneapolis on October 31st. I was in a Halloween shop today collecting items for my costume. I started to think it would be fun to also dress up for the Supernatural costume contest. Nothing came to mind. It just hit me. My Halloween costume is Velma from Scooby Do. Velma was on Supernatural. I think I can get away with entering the Supernatural costume contest as Velma. 

• Love 4

I was going to watch the Supernatural episode tonight, in my hotel room. I DVR it at home, but I wanted to watch it just in case something of interest happened and I didn't want it spoiled at the convention tomorrow. The hotel I'm staying at, doesn't have the WB as one of its channels. 

• Love 1