Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

I'll play: 

Favorite movie: Tie between Gladiator, WestSideStory, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Movie that makes you remember your childhood: Soylent Green (it's a long story.  LOL)
Favorite Tom Hanks movie: Tie between Cast Away and Forrest Gump
Movie that makes you cry:  Brian's Song (Original) and Gladiator
Favorite 80’s movie: Valley Girl
Favorite comedy:  Tie between Fast Times at Ridgemont High & Office Space
Favorite sports movie: Field of Dreams
Favorite horror movie:  Halloween (Original)
Most overrated movie:  A Star is Born (2018 version)
Favorite gangster movie:  The Godfather
Movie you can watch over and over: Tie between Gladiator and Field of Dreams

Movie with the best soundtrack: I can't possibly pick one. 

• Love 2

Great game! 

Favorite movie:  Touch & Go
Movie that makes you remember your childhood: Beetlejuice
Favorite Tom Hanks movie: The Money Pit
Movie that makes you cry: The Color Purple
Favorite 80’s movie: The Lost Boys
Favorite comedy: Tie Between Clerks or Friday
Favorite sports movie: The Karate Kid
Favorite horror movie: Halloween (78)
Most overrated movie: Titanic
Favorite gangster movie: Scarface
Movie you can watch over and over: Jurassic Park 
Movie with the best soundtrack: Purple Rain

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

@catrox14 you cheated!! 😛  Good picks though, so I'll allow it. So, Solyent Green?

Sorry.  I'm the worst!  But I really do love some of those for multiple reasons!  LOL

So Soylent Green: ....Yeah.....I went to see that with my older brother and I was way too young and it totally fucked me up.  So that's what I remember.  A good memory though is going to see Star Wars with my mom.  LOL. 

• Love 1

Favorite Movie:  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Movie that makes me remember my childhood:  Coal MIner's Daughter

Tom Hanks movie:  You've Got Mail

Movie that makes you cry:  Titanic

80's movie:  Ferris Bueller

Comedy:  Young Frankenstein

Sport movie:  The Replacements

Horror movie:  Aliens (technically sci-fi but is scared/scares the beJesus out of me!)

Most overrated:  Sooo many, but for now, Titanic.

Gangster movie:  The Untouchables

Watch over and over again:  Tremors, Prometheus any of the Alien franchise

May I also add:  favorite war movie:  Kelly's Heroes. 

• Love 1
On 3/28/2020 at 5:36 PM, Castiels Cat said:
  On 3/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Anyone want to play along? No cheating by naming more than one per category, and no repeats. There are a lot I could answer for favourite film on any given day or mood, so I went with the first thing that came to mind.

Self-Isolating Group Activities:

Self-Isolating Group Activities:

Favorite movie: Agree so many to pick from But Lord of the Rings - Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring as it starts it off. 
Movie that makes you remember your childhood: Mary Poppins (first one I remember seeing in theatre)
Favorite Tom Hanks movie: Sleepless in Seattle - He’s got many
Movie that makes you cry: Old Yeller - first one that did that.
Favorite 80’s movie: ET - there are too many to pick from
Favorite comedy: Romancing the Stone again a lot to pick from!
Favorite sports movie: A League of Their Own
Favorite horror movie: Poltergeist - don’t know if it counts but I don’t watch Horror.

Most overrated movie: Falling in Love - was supposed to be so awesome but DeNiro and Streep owe me my money back.  It was horrible.  lol
Favorite gangster movie: Does Lethal Weapon Count?  (I did laugh as one I like was West Story which showed up on the list of a gangster movie but I must not have watched them.  I’ve seen clips of the Godfather but didn’t watch any of them really.)
Movie you can watch over and over: A Knight’s Tale
Movie with the best soundtrack: Lion King

Best Musical: Into the Woods Broadway Version - shown it and Singing in the Rain over and over and I always enjoyed watching it again.

Best Disney: Aladdin with Robin Williams

Best Marvel: Iron Man but Ant man and Guardians are up there too!

I tried to stick with just one but many more showed up, Back to the Future, Dirty Dancing, Beverly Hills Cop, The original Star Wars from the 80’s, Raiders of the lost ark and so on.

Soundtrack Thought about Top Gun and Footloose

Everything would change depending on my mood.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2020 at 6:50 PM, catrox14 said:

Most overrated movie:  A Star is Born (2018 version)

So I wasn't the only one.  I tried watching it when I was stuck in a hotel and it was on.  I just watched 15 minutes before I gave up.  I've seen parts of at least 3 versions so I can get why some loved it.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood?

On 3/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Movie that makes you cry: Mr Holland's Opus.

I've shown that one to the kids and Dead Poet Society over and over but then when times started changing I had to stop showing the entire movie.  The funny question I got when a former student now a fellow teacher at my school asked,  "How did you get away with showing Overboard."  I thought girl, I got away with some shows much worst. 

This one that makes you cry - Ordinary People ,one of an all time favorite, but I showed a few clips and little did they know it was rated R...the things I used to get away with.  Now I couldn't as school is much to conservative to allow any of that.

I will say the first time I realized that one of my students was now a teacher was an eye opener.  The worst was when the student's child was my student. lol.  I try not to think of myself as old...but sometimes it is staring me in the face.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Horror movie:  Aliens (technically sci-fi but is scared/scares the beJesus out of me!)

Oh, it definitely counts. I almost chose that one myself, but went with Tremors instead. Frailty was also up there on my potentials list

9 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Favorite horror movie: Poltergeist - don’t know if it counts but I don’t watch Horror.

Also counts and good choice!

9 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Best Musical: Into the Woods Broadway Version - shown it and Singing in the Rain over and over and I always enjoyed watching it again.

That one's easy for me: Little Shop of Horrors. I love that musical. "Suddenly Seymour" and "Someplace That's Green" get me every time. Grease is a close second, because it came out in my tween years.

How about Romance movie? Mostly because that one's easy for me (since I don't like many). Now I know it's sappy as all get out, but: The Lake House. (Weirdly, Sandra Bullock seems to be an important element for me liking a romance movie.)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 7kstar said:

This one that makes you cry - Ordinary People ,one of an all time favorite,

Yes!  Love Ordinary People.  Mary Tyler Moore was shockingly good, so out of character for her. And Donald Sutherland, I can't think of a movie of his that I don't like.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, 7kstar said:

I've shown that one to the kids and Dead Poet Society over and over but then when times started changing I had to stop showing the entire movie. 

Why would you not be able to show the entire movie? Or did you just mean Dead Poets Society and not Mr. Holland's Opus? Either way, why?

Spoiler:  Rant ahead

I don't know where 7kstar teaches, but in my district in Texas, the rules for showing movies or parts of movies have become extremely strict.  The movie or clip has to align with a specific "TEK" (pronounced teak),  (state agency speak for the Rules that Govern all things in public school and how you are allowed/required to present them).  Teachers have to jump through so many hoops to show that the clip has value in a lesson and that it falls in line with a specific TEK, that for many it's just more work than it's worth.  And then if you do, you have to hope a parent doesn't complain to the principal or superintendent that all their kid does is watch movies in school.  Never mind that the movie might present the lesson PERFECTLY, it's alot of BS that many teachers would rather not  deal with.

Rant over. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Why would you not be able to show the entire movie? Or did you just mean Dead Poets Society and not Mr. Holland's Opus? Either way, why?

12 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I don't know where 7kstar teaches, but in my district in Texas, the rules for showing movies or parts of movies have become extremely strict.  The movie or clip has to align with a specific "TEK" (pronounced teak),  (state agency speak for the Rules that Govern all things in public school and how you are allowed/required to present them). 

Well I did have one advantage, I'm theatre so any movie deals with acting techniques.  As the times changed I couldn't spend days letting the kids watch as it is considered babysitting and not teaching.  Not true, but I did have to change how I did it.  Holland Opus wasn't too risky for the 7th and 8th graders but conservative 6 grade parents, well it is almost crossing the line for an affair.

Sad fact, even though he didn't do it, he did cross the ethics and would be fired for it today.  It is seen as improper relations.

Dead Poet was the section on killing himself even though it was powerfully done.  I just had to figure out which of my kids would complain.  I was guilty of saying "If you can't watch you can read from the book and answer questions instead."  Or my favorite,  "I get any parent complaints you'll only see old Disney G Rated movies from here on," most likely something they had to see all the time due to a younger sibling.

Since I'm retired, I can say I also cheated.  Movies were never listed on my lesson plans, so if someone came in I had to switch to using it as a warmup and move on.  I was good at it.  And yes everything that Trudysmom said is true.  I did teach in Texas.  My lesson plans were written for the administration to make them happy.  I didn't worry about following them and my best lessons usually were the ones I put together in about 5 minutes.  Lesson plans are supposed to be to help a teacher, but it has become a way to say, "Got you!"

So it's another reason I was planning on retiring in May.  Circumstances just moved the date up to the end of March. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2020 at 9:44 AM, trudysmom said:

May I also add:  favorite war movie:  Kelly's Heroes. 

Not sure how I missed this one (I think I was distracted by our shared love of Tremors, hee), but for me it would be Platoon with Full Metal Jacket as a close second.

And might I add: Bad movie that you like anyway: Joe's Apartment (Jerry O'Connell! and about 1000... well if you don't know, I better not tell you. - Look that up at your own risk. I take no responsibility for what happens.) Why I like this one - in addition to Jerry O'Connell - is fairly obvious. Hee!)

Also in consideration: "Little Nicky." No, I don't know why.

18 hours ago, catrox14 said:

My Favorite War Movie is "Gallapoli"

17 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I loved that movie as well but it sure was tough to watch.

Holy cow. That movie is so good and so brutal. My brother and I had flashbacks while watching 1917 this year. 

• Love 2

Sorry to switch topics but RANT:  Looked up TNT online and it's not a glitch as I had thought and hoped, for them to suddenly switch seasons randomly, it scheduled that way.  Next week, season 10, then suddenly season 11, but the END of the season, just BOOM, jump ahead a whole year in the show.  WHY?  Can't stand it when they do this to Big Bang Theory, random episodes from random seasons, no rhyme or reason. 

ok, Rant over,  back to your business, people.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Sorry to switch topics but RANT:  Looked up TNT online and it's not a glitch as I had thought and hoped, for them to suddenly switch seasons randomly, it scheduled that way.  Next week, season 10, then suddenly season 11, but the END of the season, just BOOM, jump ahead a whole year in the show.  WHY?  Can't stand it when they do this to Big Bang Theory, random episodes from random seasons, no rhyme or reason. 

ok, Rant over,  back to your business, people.

And they're running something else (NCIS?) on Fridays now.  And sometimes they show 2 episodes, sometimes 3 or 4.   Yesterday they just had one episode. 

It looks like the first 1-3 episodes are in order, and if they have any extra eps that day, they're random.  

I just check the TNT schedule online the night before to see if there are any eps I want to watch.  I skipped most of this last week.   First Born is on Monday morning first thing, so I'll probably watch that and then turn it off.  No interest in Sharp Teeth or The Purge.

I actually have all the DVDs up through season 13 (except for 9, for some reason) but I still watch TNT instead.  Just lazy, I guess.  

• Love 1

I had a dream last night that I went on a road trip with Jared, Jensen, Tom Hanks and either Fredreric Lehne or the actual YED, not really sure.  We were in my care, but Jensen was driving and Jared was shotgun.  The YED made us pancakes out of the trunk of my car and Tom Hanks got mad that there were no waves at the beach.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ok so Corona-induced binge watching has taken me to Criminal Minds, of which there are many crossover actors from Supernatural.  Likely because they both filmed in Vancouver.  I have become sort of semi-obsessed with stopping the show to check IMBD for actors and their roles and to my great surprise found that Rachel Miner only appeared in 8 episodes!  I mean, Meg!  She had/has a HUGE impact on me when I watch her in Supernatural, and only 8 appearances.  So It got me wondering about other actors who had limited screen time but made an impact just the same. Anyone come to mind for anyone else?

Gordon was only in 4.  Bela was only in 6.  If you don't count this season (and I'm just not), Lillith was in 5.   Anna was in 6.  Alistair was in 5.  Death was in 5, I think.  The Alpha vamp (who I think is overrated) was only in 3 or 4 depending on if you count Dean's hallucination in Live Free or Twihard.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, trudysmom said:

So It got me wondering about other actors who had limited screen time but made an impact just the same. Anyone come to mind for anyone else

Benny will always top this list for me.

In fact, thanks to Andre Badd(😉), Benny might actually now be my second favorite character on this show.

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Gil McKinney was only in two, as was Tim O. 

And talk about Impact on a fandom, this kind of says it all-especially concerning Tim O.

• Love 6

Mrs. Tran was only in 4 episodes.  The first episode was played by a different actress, Lauren Tom appeared in three.  

She actually responded to my tweet when I told her they should do a Supernatural/Futurama cartoon crossover.  Calling either SuperRama or FuturNatural. 

I'm actually watching Futurama as I'm posting here.  

I was surprised at what an impression Mrs. Tran made in four episodes.  I couldn't believe there were that few. 

• Love 2

Well it's official, I'm retired.  I do feel for teachers that have to go back next year.  There is so many issues for online teaching and the ones that don't do their work normally in a classroom, well let's just say that the number has grown with doing it online.  Too many of the students have the feeling that doing it online is optional.  I feel the most for any student that was a senior whether it was high school or college. 

A very strange ending to my 31 teaching career. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 7kstar said:

Too many of the students have the feeling that doing it online is optional. 

To be fair, a lot of the school districts basically told them it was optional, telling the teachers to pass them no matter what.  Hopefully, next year, they'll make it clear that just because it's online doesn't mean that they don't have to do it, But, IMO, if they don't, that's on them and not on the teacher. Just like in "regular" school.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

To be fair, a lot of the school districts basically told them it was optional, telling the teachers to pass them no matter what. 

I have zero problems with passing them for the end of the year.  But you can only do it once.  If not, those that don't will not be prepared.  So I do agree with you.

It's another reason I'm glad I'm done.  Not sure how you do a play production with social distancing...luckily I won't have to figure it out.

When we were first given the stay at home orders in March, online work was optional, only because the district felt it had to ease the pressures families were suddenly facing.  "Give them time to get their feet under them" was the phrase our principal used.  Gradually the work loads increased, grades were definitely taken.  It was decided that the 3rd quarter (Jan-March) would be the final grade for those who either did zero work for the 4th quarter, or if they were already failing, it was a chance to catch up and bring up those grades without missing out on new instruction.  For the most part our district has been very successful with online learning.  It's not ideal but with many many many Zoom meetings they managed to make it work.  

On 5/28/2020 at 3:25 AM, 7kstar said:

Well it's official, I'm retired.  I do feel for teachers that have to go back next year. 

Congrats! And I agree that you chose a very good time to say goodbye. Enjoy your retirement and stay safe!

• Love 4

Just taken a look at what is my second and last GISH, which makes me more than a little sad.  I signed on to do a little good and have a bit of fun, which I sorely need right now, but it was chaotically organised - I thought I was in my team from last time and only just found out I was in a new competitive one (having been in it for the fun last time).  I’m an introvert whose creativity extends only as far as writing and cooking, so there weren’t many items I could do last time, but this time, sheesh...I know what Misha is like, but I am really disappointed with how political it is.  I’m a middle aged, fat white bird from Northern Ireland who grew up in “The Troubles” on the side of the perceived oppressors, so I am NOT gonna stick my nose in other country’s problems.    Sorry for the rant, but I am just so disappointed. 

• Love 2

I find it much better to ignore politics from every source - whether it's one of the guys, so-called spokespersons, twitter, etc, etc, etc.. That way I don't have to agree or disagree with them and they don't have to worry about me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

I am just so disappointed. 

I was afraid it was going to be something like that, UKgirl71.  I saw something on twitter last night about how they were 'regrouping' or some such today, in light of 'current events'.  Really not fair in my opinion.  If ever there was a time people need to come together for some light hearted, frivolous fun, it's now. 

• Love 2

I think I played Gishwes for three years.  It was great the first year, but the consecutive years just went downhill.  They were never as fun as the first.  I'm also more into arts and crafts.  Two of the years were pretty light in those areas.  It didn't hold my interest anymore. 

I have reached season 5 of 'Smallville'.  It's weird not being able to comment anywhere.  Mostly because the show is old, but also if I look at the forum, I will see spoilers.  So many thoughts on what is going on. 

(edited)

Does anyone else have the problem of always caring more for the side characters of a tv show rather than the main character it is written for? This seems to be happening to me all the time. LOST, Leverage, Chicago Fire, Supernatural, etc. It's really annoying.

Edited by Res
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Res said:

Does anyone else have the problem of always caring more for the side characters of a tv show rather than the main character it is written for? This seems to be happening to me all the time. LOST, Leverage, Chicago Fire, Supernatural, etc. It's really annoying.

Sometimes, but it doesn't annoy me at all.  Why would I feel like the main character has to be my favorite, or who I care about the most?  If I downright hate the main character, then that's annoying, but I also probably wouldn't watch.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2020 at 2:24 PM, ukgirl71 said:

Just taken a look at what is my second and last GISH, which makes me more than a little sad.  I signed on to do a little good and have a bit of fun, which I sorely need right now, but it was chaotically organised - I thought I was in my team from last time and only just found out I was in a new competitive one (having been in it for the fun last time).  I’m an introvert whose creativity extends only as far as writing and cooking, so there weren’t many items I could do last time, but this time, sheesh...I know what Misha is like, but I am really disappointed with how political it is.  I’m a middle aged, fat white bird from Northern Ireland who grew up in “The Troubles” on the side of the perceived oppressors, so I am NOT gonna stick my nose in other country’s problems.    Sorry for the rant, but I am just so disappointed. 

This is exactly why I don’t do it. It’s too bad. I totally feel your pain. Ppl could do good without being political. You’re already going to alienate half of the population. It totally annoys me at cons too. A lot of them do it, but Misha is the worst! That stinks for me because Cas is my fave, but I have almost gotten up and walked out on Misha’s panels before. Sad. 

• Love 2

Didn't know where to put this, so I decided this was probably the best guess. I've never watched or read any spoilers on the show since it began, so obviously I stay out of our spoiler topics here. But with our extended hiatus, I decided to read the "Spoilers with Speculation" thread. I've really enjoyed reading all the ideas and scenarios you guys have thought about some of the spoilers put there. I recognize all our posters and love the ideas and discussion even if it turned out very differently than thought. I'm still in S14, so once I get too close to our current time, I'll have to stop reading. Too bad. At this point, with the lousy writing, I'm not sure why I care, but I guess I want to finish the series not knowing anything in advance of the finale.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Didn't know where to put this, so I decided this was probably the best guess. I've never watched or read any spoilers on the show since it began, so obviously I stay out of our spoiler topics here. But with our extended hiatus, I decided to read the "Spoilers with Speculation" thread. I've really enjoyed reading all the ideas and scenarios you guys have thought about some of the spoilers put there. I recognize all our posters and love the ideas and discussion even if it turned out very differently than thought. I'm still in S14, so once I get too close to our current time, I'll have to stop reading. Too bad. At this point, with the lousy writing, I'm not sure why I care, but I guess I want to finish the series not knowing anything in advance of the finale.

I unfollowed most of the cast and crew of Supernatural, on Twitter.  I don't want to know anything about what's coming up.  What they don't think are spoilers, to me are spoilers.  

• Love 2

Well, the Lucifer season 5 trailer dropped today, and

Spoiler

its lead will be playing two separate characters, Lucifer and Michael(!), in a major arc. And not only that, we'll also get to see them fight each other (and not as a ridiculous floating puppet show)! The writers and showrunners clearly appreciate their lead and are happy to give him meaty, challenging material. I wish Jensen, with all he has to offer, had been afforded these sorts of opportunities that lasted longer than three episodes and/or actually impacted the story...

Hope this is the right thread.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hi friends. I know times are really hard, so I'm just posting this here mostly to ask for good thoughts for my nephew and his family. They were hit by a suspected drunk driver nearly head on. This is a link to their GoFundMe. If you can help they would be amazing. Thank you for listening.

https://gf.me/u/yjpbid

• Love 1

I've just resigned myself to watching this show, since a few reactors I subscribe to, do.  However, I've heard things like "don't let [it] go on forever, like Supernatural" or "The show needs to end before it becomes Supernatural".  (Mostly in regards to my current obsession, Lucifer). 

So, my question is, is there a point or a season where I can stop watching Supernatural, and it would still be satisfying?  I'm only at the very, very beginning, so no spoilers if possible, please.

Edited by roamyn
45 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I've just resigned myself to watching this show, since a few reactors I subscribe to, do.  However, I've heard things like "don't let [it] go on forever, like Supernatural" or "The show needs to end before it becomes Supernatural".  (Mostly in regards to my current obsession, Lucifer). 

So, my question is, is there a point or a season where I can stop watching Supernatural, and it would still be satisfying?  I'm only at the very, very beginning, so no spoilers if possible, please.

I would say season 5 if you cut it off before the last scene, you'll have a complete series.  JMO.

• Love 1