Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, SueB said:

Tough position.  You can't be there, you can't be there.  But it's hard sometimes with family.  Gets emotionally charged.  I hope your Dad gets good news tomorrow.  Good luck.

Thanks Sue B, looks like good news so far, as they think for now they want to wait.  So hopefully it will continue to be good news.  Kids don't want to practice, so I guess they will learn the hard way.

• Love 2

We had to put our old dog down on Tuesday. It was a really hard decision. He had health problems, we thought it would be best for him. Several years ago, my ex-husband asked me to watch the dog. He was living in a place where he couldn't keep his dog. His goal was to find a place where they could live together.  My ex passed away about four years ago. His dog, Rudy, stayed with us. I never thought he really belonged to us though. I loved that little dog, but I think his heart was with his true owner.  If my ex had not died - only not been able to visit for years and suddenly showed up, I believe Rudy would have hopped into the car with him and never looked back. I like to believe that the two have them have found each other again.

I thought about what Rudy's heaven would be. I think his heaven would be chasing deer over the bog near our house and living happily with my ex-husband. 

• Love 9
On 2/22/2018 at 10:11 AM, Commando Cody said:

We had to put our old dog down on Tuesday. It was a really hard decision. He had health problems, we thought it would be best for him.

It is never an easy decision but a peaceful way vs a long lingering death is kinder to your beloved pet.  The image of him chasing deer and chasing your ex is a powerful happy one and although you will have sad moments, hopefully that image will cheer you up a bit.  Grief of a family pet is hard, and words don't always help, so if anything I've said helps use it, otherwise throw it out.  Sending some comfort your way as I know how difficult it is to lose a family pet.

Charm....well not sure it is high on my list to watch, but if I had time I might check it out, but I think they covered it and should have thought of something new to develop.  Not too many remakes have been worth watching.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, 7kstar said:

Not too many remakes have been worth watching.

I really liked the Dallas reboot until they made it all about Elena and her family. But I thought the characters were generally great and of course Larry Hagman made it worthwhile. 

I am surprised if Birmingham was a flop, but then again not surprised - sorry to any Brummies out there, but the prospect of coming over to there in particular did not appeal.  If I manage to make it to a convention one day, I'm making a holiday out of it.  I just wonder if they will come to the UK at all in future?

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Birmingham is on the list too... I’m assuming this years first Creation Convention was a flop sales wise. 

I have no idea about Birmingham, but they have changed a lot of successful cities out this year (Toronto being one). I think it's more about fresh meat than lack of sales - they have already announced that Montreal will be a one-off and they are coming back to Toronto for 2019. They are SO expensive though, if you want the good seats - I have to think that it's affecting sales. I know several people who have been going for years who have either stopped or drastically reduced their tickets (to Copper or to day passes). It's not about the boys or the other guests, it's all about the $$$.

• Love 3

Hi I just got into SN early this month and loving it, I'm only on S2 and am bursting internally on some discussion on my journey through the series. What I mean to say is that you guys will probably see me popping up a lot in the old season episode discussions. Just a warning, thanks for reading!

• Love 7

Welcome to Supernatural. Enjoy your journey through the seasons. 

You're lucky. I just finished watching the only 13 episodes there are of the TV show, "The Finder". There is no one to discuss them with. 

See you around the forums!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Welcome to Supernatural. Enjoy your journey through the seasons. 

You're lucky. I just finished watching the only 13 episodes there are of the TV show, "The Finder". There is no one to discuss them with. 

See you around the forums!

thank you so much! this show is amazing^^

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Iju said:

Hi I just got into SN early this month and loving it, I'm only on S2 and am bursting internally on some discussion on my journey through the series. What I mean to say is that you guys will probably see me popping up a lot in the old season episode discussions. Just a warning, thanks for reading!

Welcome to the crazy dysfunctional family of Supernatural!   

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Diane said:

Welcome to the crazy dysfunctional family of Supernatural!   

23 minutes ago, flyinghigh said:

Welcome!! 

thank you guys, like a lot. i have tried for almost two weeks now to find any discussions on SN and most of them are barely talking about the show, even in its recent episodes. i'm glad i kept searching. i think i will stay on this forum then!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Iju said:

Welcome.  I'm a little jealous that your only on season 2.  It really only gets better for the next few seasons.  Everything is pretty great for a long time so enjoy!

• Love 3

Jensen Ackles went through his entire 30s with us on Supernatural. The dude is still smoking. 

I don't usually get all fan girlie. He looked up at me and smiled after he signed his picture at the last convention. If I had been a little school girl, I probably would have giggled. That guy is better looking in real life than he is on TV. 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, bozodegama said:

Welcome.  I'm a little jealous that your only on season 2.  It really only gets better for the next few seasons.  Everything is pretty great for a long time so enjoy!

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

Hi and welcome to the forum! You’ve a lot of fun twists and turns to witness this! And you haven’t even been introduced to the shows best character yet! He arrives in season 4 ;)

thank you everyone. and i have a bit of a request: where are the rules at, that FAQ perhaps?

Edited by Iju
17 hours ago, Iju said:

Welcome! The seasons and the Winchesters get better and better as the show goes on :)

1 hour ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Hi lju, look under Mod Announcements:

and the Supernatural Thread Reference Guide:

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

The main rule for the site as a whole is just to be civil. 

There's a overall site FAQ here that tells you how to do stuff like quoting and embedding and whatnot: http://forums.previously.tv/forum/2499-faq-guides/

Specific Supernatural forum rules are here: 

and here:

And, BTW, welcome!! 

thank you, it helps a lot guys!

31 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Welcome! The seasons and the Winchesters get better and better as the show goes on :)

and thank you too :)

• Love 1

Welcome to the SPN family!  And I agree with Bozodegama...I'm a bit jealous.  It was so much fun to have all of those virgin seasons of SPN ahead of me to binge through.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope you will too!  If you're like the rest of us, you'll find that the re-watches can be just as much fun!  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MysteryGuest said:

Welcome to the SPN family!  And I agree with Bozodegama...I'm a bit jealous.  It was so much fun to have all of those virgin seasons of SPN ahead of me to binge through.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope you will too!  If you're like the rest of us, you'll find that the re-watches can be just as much fun!  

i'm already rewatching lol, i was going to binge it but was slowed down by a LOT because my sister wanted to watch it and so now i have to wait for her, then recently out of the blue our mother expressed her disappointment of us looking at it without her so i'm REALLY slowed down. so i'm stuck looking at reruns half the time :T

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Iju said:

i'm already rewatching lol, i was going to binge it but was slowed down by a LOT because my sister wanted to watch it and so now i have to wait for her, then recently out of the blue our mother expressed her disappointment of us looking at it without her so i'm REALLY slowed down. so i'm stuck looking at reruns half the time :T

That's funny!  But just like that, 3 new SPN fans are born!  There's just something about those boys that sucks you in.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

That's funny!  But just like that, 3 new SPN fans are born!  There's just something about those boys that sucks you in.

hey... you ARE right. 3 new SN fans were born. i hadn't thought of it like that! lol! i guess i can't complain much then :P

and yes, the writing of the boys and the chemistry of the actors really pull things along. definitely the best part of the show ;)

Edited by Iju
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Iju said:

hey... you ARE right. 3 new SN fans were born. i hadn't thought of it like that! lol! i guess i can't complain much then :P

and yes, the writing of the boys and the chemistry of the actors really pull things along. definitely the best part of the show ;)

Welcome (all of you) to SPN fandom. I envy you your newbie-ness. I am a relatively new fan (first show live in S10) and experienced S1 thru 10.11 in a binge-watching state of euphoria! Can I offer a little advice? Try to watch the first time through without the influence of social media/discussion. I can almost guarantee you will see some things differently once you are exposed to the wildly different thoughts and feelings about the characters and story lines, especially post-Kripke. I know I did, and I'm glad I got to see it from an unbiased POV the first time. JMO and all that. Most of all, have fun!!!

• Love 5
(edited)

Anybody know what the time limit on merging posts is? Posting this to see if it's more than 5 minutes. :) And.... it is.

I haven't been on a real vacation in a long time. Pretty much all of my mad-money and vacation time has been spent on fandom related things, most recently Supernatural conventions, and another couple of fandoms before that. I regret nothing; I've had wonderful experiences, but holy cow it has gotten expensive. So yesterday I booked my first cruise (a bucket-list item for me), the Western Caribbean with four stops, 7 days all-inclusive. Including the flight from Ontario to Miami, it is less than half what Vegas Con cost me last year (five hotel days), and 2/3 less than TorCon (2 hotel days - I live 3 hours from Toronto). The cruise ticket itself is a couple hundred dollars less than my Gold TorCon ticket alone cost me. Something just doesn't seem right about that. Like I said, I have no regrets, but holy moly.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Welcome (all of you) to SPN fandom. I envy you your newbie-ness. I am a relatively new fan (first show live in S10) and experienced S1 thru 10.11 in a binge-watching state of euphoria! Can I offer a little advice? Try to watch the first time through without the influence of social media/discussion. I can almost guarantee you will see some things differently once you are exposed to the wildly different thoughts and feelings about the characters and story lines, especially post-Kripke. I know I did, and I'm glad I got to see it from an unbiased POV the first time. JMO and all that. Most of all, have fun!!!

that's very good advice, thank you very much^^

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

So yesterday I booked my first cruise (a bucket-list item for me), the Western Caribbean with four stops, 7 days all-inclusive.

Oh, cool! Which four West Caribbean stops? My husband and I went on a Western Caribbean cruise about 8-10 years ago. One stop was a place that I had been, but my husband hadn't so I wanted him to try it out for potential future vacations. We got to visit there and two other places (Unfortunately, they told us we couldn't go to Cozumel, because of swine flu. It was annoying, because we didn't do an alternative stop. We just floated around in the ocean, and I got a bit bored.)

The cruise did its job though. We discovered the stop we liked best and would want to visit again - Roatan, the place I had been before - and now we go there every year or two. After over half a dozen visits, my husband and I still love the place, and find new things every time we go.

Are you going to do some shore excursions? If so, I'd suggest trying to find ones that either focus on stuff you know you like - hubby and I are snorkelers for example - or try to find ones that give some local flavor or culture. If you are doing a dinner thing - we did a sit down dinner; free kind, but seated instead of the buffet area - we liked doing the later seating. It gave us time to make the most of shore excursions and still have time to take a shower and relax a bit before dinner. We didn't much care about the stage entertainment anyway, so we'd rather sit and eat a nice dinner and talk with the other couples/people anyway. We were seated with the same group of couples/people for the cruise, so we got to know them a little bit, and it was fun to hear about other kinds of shore excursions and experiences.

I'm excited for you going on your first cruise! ! hope you have a great time!

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Which four West Caribbean stops?

Roatan (!!!); Harvest Caye, Belize; Costa Maya and Cozumel. It's Norwegian Cruise Lines, on The Getaway. It boggles my mind a little that the ship holds more than 3900 passengers - double the population of the town I grew up in. We haven't booked any excursions yet - still looking into that - but I appreciate the advice! I like sit-down dining better than buffet, so I'll be taking advantage of later seatings, I'm sure. The ship also has a Shanghai Noodle Bar, which excites me to an unreasonable degree, lol. They don't let you reserve the entertainment until September (cruise is 1st week in December), but they have a magic show which sounds fun, so I put a reminder in my phone for that :)

I'm going with a girlfriend - it will be her first vacation without her (now grown) kids, and my first cruise, so I am anticipating a great time!

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 3

I hope you enjoy Roatan as much as we did. We did a combination rain forest park / snorkeling trip, but wished we could've had even more time snorkeling (that and Scuba are what Roatan is known for.) The reef is right there and most places on the beach - even "tourist" areas - are generally right near good snorkeling right off the beach. If you need advice on choosing a shore trip, let me know. I know a lot of places on Roatan and can tell you which places are good for what. Belize was also fun - we did a snorkeling boat trip which was a great deal of fun. My hubby greatly enjoyed the free rum punch on the boat ride back. Our third stop was Grand Cayman - also a good snorkeling destination, we did a catamaran river cruise/snorkeling trip on that one. In Cozumel, we were going to take a 6 hour Mayan ruin excursion. I think I would have liked that.

One thing I won't be able to predict though is the weather. We spend most of our time in Roatan in July / August. Our cruise was in November though, and the weather was good. I hope December is also good weather... If you like snorkeling though, rain won't hurt that too much. The water visibility is so good in many areas - generally 100+ feet - that even on cloudy days, you can see everything. Shopping is a little more problematical, because the best shops are along a main street, but you have to go outside to get to each one.Taxis are reasonable and generally easy to find, and if you're the kind who likes to do your own thing, I can tell you some great beaches where you can lounge and snorkel on your own rather than be roped into a structured activity. English is prevalent on the island, so it's not too difficult to communicate. Also there are only two main roads on the long thin island - usually easy to find. Generally if you need a taxi, just go to the main road and stand there. A taxi will usually come along in about 5 to 10 minutes or so.

My husband and I love the island for the "folksy" beauty of it. Some days we just walk from our hotel - nothing fancy: just comfy bed, bathroom, TV, air conditioning, and small fridge. We save our money for the food, snorkeling, and side trips - to a bar and grill on the beach (the food on the island is generally delicious - I recommend steamed local fish and fried sweet plantains). Many places are right on or over the water and after lunch if you ask, most places will let you use their ladders or steps right into the water to go swimming or snorkeling. You can watch the sun go down afterwards and just enjoy the peace. Last time we did this, we snorkeled around the restaurant dock - many have water taxi areas - and saw our very first seahorses. Amazing little creatures - so elegant and mysterious.

I could go on and on, so I'll just shut up now. ; )

• Love 1

@AwesomO4000 Thanks so much for the advice. I will be taking you up on the offer for more info once we really start planning. Unfortunately we only have one day at each of the stops, and being first, Roatan is the shortest as we don't arrive until 10:00 am and have to be back on the ship by 4:00 pm. So there won't be any sunset watching :(  But hopefully we'll get at least a little snorkeling in. I scuba dived in my younger years, but I don't think I'd be confident enough to try it now.

• Love 1

Ehn, in my opinion, it's not really necessary to scuba in Roatan anyway. Hubby and I often talk to scuba divers during breakfast - our hotel provides it for a small fee - and we often see pretty much the same creatures they do. Sure they may see a few more things, but they have a time limit - due to the tanks - and the added hassle of all the equipment. With snorkeling you can stay as longs as you like - the water is usually warm enough - and go as slow as you like. I like to sometimes just float over one group of coral for 10-15 minutes and wait for the creatures that were scared of you at first to come back out again. My husband has done both, and he much prefers snorkeling. The reef on Roatan - especially the "west" side - is usually right there as in within 5-10 feet of water, and often goes almost to the surface.

If you might be interested in snorkeling in more than one of your stops, however, it may be worth it for you to get your own mask and snorkel. A little extra, but well worth it, I think. You know it will fit and how it works, and don't have to rely on rentals. I also like my "cheater" snorkel. It closes up when I go underwater, so it doesn't get water inside, and I never have to worry about having to blow out. Fins can be a little more problematic, but maybe aren't needed as much. I have semi-small ones that fit in my suitcase, but those are easier to rent or you can just swim barefoot or with water shoes - which I suggest. The coral is close - not to mention the occasional rock fish or stingray - and you don't want to accidentally kick anything if you're not used to that kind of stuff.

For my part, I am generally completely covered anyway, because I burn easily. So I wear a two piece under a long-sleeved yogaish (it's pretty much swimsuit stuff anyway) shirt and snug ankle workout type spandexy slacks - often matching. I don't have to worry about sunscreen - which can be bad for the reef anyway - giving out in the water, and I don't burn. Also protects in case of random jellyfish (more a problem at night). Win-win in my opinion. The fish also sometimes find my outfits pretty ; ) . I had a large, beautiful angelfish follow me around for a while once - my hubby thought it was creepy, but I thought it was cute.

• Love 1

I've done two cruises, but the Mediterranean.  You will love it.  I just want to add that the later seating worked out best for us too. Otherwise it's a bit of a rush.  

Creation has become too greedy. ?

• Love 2
On 3/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, Pondlass1 said:

Creation has become too greedy. ?

Frankly, I'm surprised that they still sell out the photos (JJandM), sell most of the seats and sell a large number of Gold tickets. The prices are horrific! My daughter (who lives for Jensen) finally had had enough and stopped going. And she doesn't even need a hotel room as we are no further than 40 minutes from the ChiCon venues. It's really sad. :(

• Love 3

I'd sign up for a supernatural themed cruise with all the cast on board.  I'll have to rob a bank or something and use a spell to possess the body of a swimsuit model... But it'd be incredible....

Jensen says being on a cruise is like staying at a hotel where you can't leave.  Lol

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

If Star Trek can do a cruise - that included Shatner, I'm sure they could make a Supernatural cruise work.

Most of the ST cruises were after the shows were over, so it wasn't taking away from actors' family/down time (some brought their families, too.)  But Creation is way too controlling for that--the point of the ST cruises is/was that it literally was like a big family gathering--the guests and stars stayed in the same "hotel," shared meals (and all the onboard activities) and everything related to ST was included--there were panels/talks every day (including talks from some writers and special effects people), one autograph session where all the stars sat at tables and everyone could wander around and talk to them, and a group photo, with all the stars together and you.   Other than that, they were regular cruise guests, so you could run into them on excursions, or at one of the ship's bars at night, or eating pizza on the lido deck at any time.  The rule was that we were supposed to be respectful of their privacy; so could say hello but not interrupt or ask for photos, though you could sometimes have some interesting conversations while standing in line at the buffet. :)  

The other thing I should say is that, since ST had already been around forever and the cruises were considered expensive (for the time--I think the whole thing at that time was less than a Gold ticket to one of the cons now), most of the guests were older/more sedate, so there wasn't a lot of teen/YA angst and drama.  It was all pretty laid-back.  Also, by the time I went, most of the "A" list actors weren't there, so there were a lot of old-timers and guest stars who were thrilled to have people remember them.  

I don't know if it's Creation wanting to squeeze every penny out of everything, or the stars being afraid that they wouldn't have any time away from the fans (having to be "on" 24/7 for a week would be terribly tiring!) but I think it won't happen till the fan fever dies down a little.  

2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Jensen says being on a cruise is like staying at a hotel where you can't leave.  Lol

More like an all-inclusive resort :)  But (depending on the cruise) there are stops at ports almost every day, so you only have to spend nights on board.   But I can see how it might be intimidating for the stars to feel like they're prisoners in their rooms, because any time they leave they'd be swamped with fans.  

• Love 1

After seeing The Shape of Water I really wish they hadn't killed off Eileen.  I really liked that character.  I remember one scene that must've been filmed on a cold damp night and Shoshannah's nose was quite visibly red - I guess makeup didn't notice or whatever - but that red nose really endeared her to me.

Everyone dies, but Lucy lives on...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

SORRY! I've been really depressed and not following through. I'll do better this week.

Brought over from another thread since I wasn’t going to be on topic.

Sorry to hear that, catrox ? I hope you know that the joke I meant to make was that we aren't "allowed" to post in an episode thread until you bless it with your gifs, not that you were remiss by not posting your gifs.

Hope you feel better!

10 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Sorry to hear that, catrox ? I hope you know that the joke I meant to make was that we aren't "allowed" to post in an episode thread until you bless it with your gifs, not that you were remiss by not posting your gifs.

Hope you feel better!

Oh I know! It was funny. It made me laugh!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I wish North America (and everywhere else) would discontinue Daylight Saving Time.  It really messes with me for days.

I’m the opposite. I wish we were on Daylight Savings Time year round!

• Love 3

I just wish they'd pick a time and stick with it.  I don't really care which way they go.  But the changing back and forth is annoying as hell.  And statistically a genuine health hazard for people.

Catrox, I hope you're feeling a bit better.  Life can be tough sometimes, but know that you have cyber friends here who care.

Edited by MysteryGuest
  • Love 3

Yeah that's what I meant, pick a time and stick with it.  Daylight saving is probably best as its lighter in evening.  I live in Canada and in dead of winter you drive to work in the dark and you drive home in the dark. Never see daylight. 

hope you feel better @catrox14 you are a staple at this site. ?

• Love 3