Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Have a great time!!!!

I did, thanks! I've been avoiding all interviews/press to try and stay unspoiled, so I basically only knew who the cast was. I didn't know that it is a 'Part 1' until after, which probably would've mitigating me wanting to throw things at the screen in the last five minutes of the movie. Holy crapping crap!

13 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I did, thanks! I've been avoiding all interviews/press to try and stay unspoiled, so I basically only knew who the cast was. I didn't know that it is a 'Part 1' until after, which probably would've mitigating me wanting to throw things at the screen in the last five minutes of the movie. Holy crapping crap!

I haven't seen it yet and heard rumors it would end up being two parts because it was so big. I hope I can see it next week.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

... or maybe "Futurnatural". 

Oh, God, PLEASE NO! JUST NO!

This show is becoming enough of a joke as it is.

Edited by Res
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Pondlass1 said:

We should all get together and go on a field trip to Dripping Springs Texas to visit Jensen at the Family Business.  Apparently he's going to spend much of his summer there.  Thing is - I don't like beer.........

I'm more of a wine gal but I'd be willing to down a few pints for the cause :)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I'm more of a wine gal but I'd be willing to down a few pints for the cause :)

I'm more margaritas but I'd be down as well! LOL!

• Love 1

If Jensen's there I will swill back glasses of beer and even eat those icky red cockroach thingies.  He really needs to send us an itinerary of the days he'll definitely be in attendance so we can coordinate plans. ;)

*Actually I'd love to visit Texas some day.

• Love 4

The people of Twitter certainly are passionate about their supernaturally based TV shows. I wish they would show more of their disappointment over Kevin (Probably) Saves the World. I loved that show. I'm pretty sad that they canceled it. 

(edited)

I’m crushed that Brooklyn Nine-Nine got cancelled. That show is hilarious.

ETA: Nevermind! NBC has rescued Brooklyn Nine-Nine!

I’m still bummed about Wayward Sisters though.

Edited by Jeddah

There's a lot of upset over Lucifer being cancelled.  It's a perfect example of writers destroying an interesting and different show - it was the same with Sleepy Hollow.

I probably wouldn't have watched, but I was hoping they'd given WS a chance.  I wonder if KN dropped out and they thought it wouldn't carry without her?  I actually think it could've worked for the CW and been something a bit different.  And Sam and Dean could've made cameos even after Supernatural ended.

• Love 1

It seems to me, that KN isn't a big enough star to turn down a starring role in a TV show. Unless her goals are different and she just doesn't want to be in Supernatural anymore. She might not want to be pigeonholed as the sulky teenager.  Starring in a spin-off from a successful TV show is the dream that few achieve. It would probably give her career a boost. 

The network may have numbers that say that Wayward Sisters was popular with a few rabid fans, who make a lot of noise to look like a lot of rabid fans.  I'm sure the networks take social media into account, but they can't base a TV show on who is getting the most attention on one website. 

20 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

It seems to me, that KN isn't a big enough star to turn down a starring role in a TV show. Unless her goals are different and she just doesn't want to be in Supernatural anymore. She might not want to be pigeonholed as the sulky teenager.  Starring in a spin-off from a successful TV show is the dream that few achieve. It would probably give her career a boost. 

The network may have numbers that say that Wayward Sisters was popular with a few rabid fans, who make a lot of noise to look like a lot of rabid fans.  I'm sure the networks take social media into account, but they can't base a TV show on who is getting the most attention on one website. 

Taken to WS thread.

2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I am actively offended by this.  Magnum PI was so iconic.  Hawaii Five O and MacGyver.....eh not so much.  Boo I say, Boo!

That's how I feel about Charmed. If it's not going to be the Halliwell's, just call it something else.

Gotta say though, both Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver are iconic as well. Book 'em Dano and "MacGyvering" something were a pretty big part of the zeitgeist. I still hear people using the latter today.

1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That's how I feel about Charmed. If it's not going to be the Halliwell's, just call it something else.

Gotta say though, both Hawaii Five-O and MacGyver are iconic as well. Book 'em Dano and "MacGyvering" something were a pretty big part of the zeitgeist. I still hear people using the latter today.

True about Book em Dano, and MacGuyvering. I was thinking of Magnum's whole package (heh) like Tom Selleck himself to his Ferrari and TC and Higgins and the whole thing.  That's all I'm saying. I'm probably stuck in nostalgia land too. That was one of my favs ever and I even had a poster LOL

Of course, I was also pretty annoyed about the Dallas reboot, which turned out okay for like 2 seasons and then it all went sideways. Although with that it was more of a continuation of the family with John Ross and Christopher all grown up now.  And they still had Linda, Patrick and Larry (RIP) until the producer decided to make it all about Elena's family who NO ONE CARED. LOL  But to that point I enjoyed it quite a bit. 

Maybe Magnum will be like Dallas 2.0?

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Maybe Magnum will be like Dallas 2.0?

Maybe they can have Magnum's daughter (Lily?) be the new Magnum, still living on the estate now run by a relative of Higgins.  That'll fit all the current requirements for TV shows: beautiful kickass woman of color as lead, working with various beautiful young men and women.  Maybe they can have her drive a '67 Impala? :)  

ETA: Nah, that would be too much fun.  I see they're just recasting the original show with younger actors and updating to Afghanistan vets.  *sigh*

Edited by ahrtee
5 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Maybe they can have Magnum's daughter (Lily?) be the new Magnum, still living on the estate now run by a relative of Higgins.  That'll fit all the current requirements for TV shows: beautiful kickass woman of color as lead, working with various beautiful young men and women.  Maybe they can have her drive a '67 Impala? :)  

ETA: Nah, that would be too much fun.  I see they're just recasting the original show with younger actors and updating to Afghanistan vets.  *sigh*

If it helps, new Higgins is a woman. 

I found Eureka on Amazon Prime. I'm almost done with season 4. It says they are complete seasons, but in the "previously on Eureka" bits, they use scenes that I didn't see.  As if there are episodes they aren't showing. I have to go back and look at the episodes in the season to see if I somehow missed one, but I can't find any. 

8 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I saw someone at the wedding who was dressed like Lucy Preston from "Timeless".  I had no idea, until later on, that it was the real actress - dressed like Lucy Preston from "Timeless". 

I had so much FUN with that yesterday on Twitter.  While I think she just picked an AWESOME dress (seriously, A+), many Timeless fans were tweeting how they were certain she was there to ensure the wedding wasn't stopped by Rittenhouse.  Another said she was "low-key cosplaying Lucy" to help the #RenewTimeless campaign. And Kripke joined in with some note about having "an operative at the wedding as part of their S3 plot."  

• Love 2

I don’t know where to ask this...

I've been seeing some posts that are using the acronym OPT and I have no idea what it means. None of the urban dictionary entries seem to fit the usages I’ve seen, and it’s not a typo of OTP because that wouldn’t have fit the context. 

Anyone wanna put me out of my misery and earn my eternal gratitude?

3 minutes ago, takalotti said:

I don’t know where to ask this...

I've been seeing some posts that are using the acronym OPT and I have no idea what it means. None of the urban dictionary entries seem to fit the usages I’ve seen, and it’s not a typo of OTP because that wouldn’t have fit the context. 

Anyone wanna put me out of my misery and earn my eternal gratitude?

I think it stands for One Perfect Tear.

• Love 2

Yay, Supernatural S13 is out on Netflix today! Life kept getting in the way of watching this season live, but now I can finally catch up :D :D :D

Calendar is cleared. TV is on. *rubs hands together with glee*

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Yay, Supernatural S13 is out on Netflix today! Life kept getting in the way of watching this season live, but now I can finally catch up :D :D :D

Calendar is cleared. TV is on. *rubs hands together with glee*

I just finished watching ScoobyNatural :)

• Love 3
(edited)

I finished my re-watch of Eureka. I haven't watched it since it was new. I remember season 5 being bad, but while binge watching the entire season this time around, it was really horrendous. Midway though the season, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to watch the remaining episodes. 

Edited by Commando Cody

I hardly watch any hour long US drama shows these days because the acting is so dreadful.  Do they really think people stand about talking to each other like that?  

But I'm surprised Lucifer got chopped.  It's got quite the following and a charismatic lead, and like Supernatural it could go anywhere in terms of plot.  I think the budget is more too.  But they couldn't help themselves and had to make everyone misunderstood and not evil.  It got dull quickly.

TWD is dying a slow death.  If they're not all shooting at each other, they're doing teary soap opera monologues. 

The last show I cared about was Community. They did actually renew that one after an on line campaign. It barely reached six seasons - but no movie. 

I am really sad about Kevin (Probably Saves the World). I wanted that one renewed. There aren't that many shows where I will watch the repeats when they're on. I looked forward to it every week. 

Lucifer seemed to have the biggest save campaign going. I would probably watch it if it was renewed, but this last season really wasn't very good. I don't know what happened to this show, but it really took a turn for the bad. 

I stopped watching TWD when the governor came around. I like the actor in his episode of Doctor Who, but that season started to get more gory than I could take. I couldn't stand that blond lady either. 

Brought over from the episode thread for The Thing:

22 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Part of the job of being a server is being good with customers.  If they are rude, they are breaking their part of the social contract.   If they are working for a place that has the schtick of faux rudeness, the tip will be proper. 

But that  didn't seem to be the case with that server nor that diner, so to me, if Sam opted for a 12% tip instead of 15%, I'm fine with it. 

6 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I 100% tip based on the service I get. I don't fault servers for less-than-great food, or obnoxious behavior of other customer who ruin my experience, but if they are snotty or impatient with me, you better believe they aren't getting a tip. I've seen servers speak to customers in a manner that I would be fired for in my job (that I don't earn tips in) so nope, you don't get a pass just because it's a crappy paying job. Like you said, it's a social contract and contracts work in both directions.

15%?!!!

Whoa. My baseline for tipping is 20-25%+$1, and I round up from there. (ex:  if a bill comes out to $27, I'll usually figure $6 as ~20% and then add a dollar to that, so a total tip of $7).

I think if you used a server's/bartender's services, they earned their money and it's wrong not to pay it. It's a commission on sales, not a judgement on their likability or anything else. That's how the government is going to calculate their taxes and how the restaurant is going to calculate what they need to tip out the other staff anyway, for the most part -- based on sales made, not actual tips received.

That all said, I'm an accountant nowadays (haven't worked in a restaurant for two years as of July 4th!). Money is clearly a hot-button lol.

7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't think stealing some poor guy's car (and you know based on the cars that they steal that they aren't stealing them from Millionaires) is a victimless crime.  That goes way beyond a $5 or $10  tip (which I'm also not condoning unless the waitress has done something to not earn a tip).  But that is a one-time loss of income.  If that guy can't get to work, he may lose his job.  He may even need the vehicle to do the job if he's a pizza delivery guy or something. 

It's not that stealing is OK, I just don't think it is necessarily mean or nasty behavior. Whereas I think shitty tipping is.

Stealing I understand because not just the harm but also the benefit (to the thief) is greater. I can understand the temptation to do it, thinking that you're going to benefit so much from it that you just "have" to do it. I personally have never stolen and am not planning to, but I get how it happens. But nobody's really benefiting by cheaping out on a tip, even though you're still actively hurting someone with that. (And I reject that the cheap customer is materially "benefiting" because if $5-10 either way for a meal is going to break the customer, she cannot afford to have that meal out in that restaurant and should not have been using the waitstaff's services anyway). So why do it if you're not even really benefiting? All I can come up with is unflattering stuff, like entitlement or enjoying the "power" to be a jerk.

Also, if someone is too tightfisted, I worry about their trustworthiness. Because apparently, they're habitually putting themselves first and letting other people pick up the slack from that. That's the reason that if I go out with someone (as a friend or date) and they cheap out on the tip, that's going to make me want to take a big step back. I feel like one day it's some bartender who they want to be selfish toward and the next day it's going to be you. YMMV. I'm just being honest that it really bothers me.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, Commando Cody said:

It looks like Dean Devlin gave up on his search for another home for The Librarians. 

Librarians.jpg

Their last episode of the season (last year) put closure on a significant relationship and the team in general. Not too bad of an ending as such things go with TV - could have been a cliffhanger or something worse.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, Pondlass1 said:

TWD is dying a slow death.  If they're not all shooting at each other, they're doing teary soap opera monologues. 

The Walking Dead was dead to me as soon as they killed off Carl - in one of the most stupid ways possible - to justify keeping around another character I hated (Negan) by making Carl suddenly adopt a "we should give everybody a chance" philosophy. Bullcrap in my opinion. Carl wasn't Ghandi or Jesus, and having him (posthumously) plead for leniency for a character who he watched bash one of his good friend's head in with a barbed wire baseball bat was a huge disservice to the character in my opinion. Carl was more complex than that, in my opinion. He would've said "kill the bastard" (because Negan truly is an irredeemably awful person not worthy of any mercy) and then condone a peaceful solution after that bastard was gone.

I'm still bitter about the death and attempted character assassination of Carl. *grumble grumble*

• Love 2

This may seem random, but the reason I found Supernatural was through a fellow fanfic fan/writer who was also a huge fan of Queer As Folk (my fandom) and wrote crossovers. She insisted badgered coerced demanded I read this story about "Dean" and "Sam" and eventually, I did. Though it was well written, it didn't have much meaning for me as I had no idea who Dean and Sam were. So I sought out and watched the pilot.... 

All that is to say, Queer as Folk is one of my all time favourite shows and I think Brian and Justin will always be my favourite tv couple. It's a show that never really gets the recognition or respect that it (in my opinion) deserves in the history of the representation of LGBTQ on television. They have a feature in this special issue of EW and it marks the first time the entire lead cast has been reunited since filming the finale in 2005. It makes my heart happy to see. ♥

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

Lucifer has been saved by Netflix.

Damn, I continue to hold out hope that SPN will be saved by Netflix.  I'd love at least one season with a bigger budget, better writing, more adult content than an 8:00 timeslot can provide us with...maybe one day.

• Love 3