Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: When Your Number's Up

Holmes and Watson follow a blood trail into the world of wrongful death compensation when they investigate a series of murders in which the killer leaves envelopes of cash on the victims. Also, Holmes makes a generous gesture towards Watson as she suffers through the aftermath of a personal crisis.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlJI8Gltb0w

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

You know, I really liked Kitty, but I had almost forgotten what great chemistry Sherlock and Joan have. The last few episodes have reminded me in spades. The conversations in which she yelled at him, he said he didn't want to be an enabler, and she "moved into" the basement were great, and the chemistry was at an all-time high. Particularly the scene where he said he didn't want to be an enabler; the shot when she was staring at the board in the foreground and he was in the background talking was particularly lovely. Their faces. I just really love their relationship. Hands-down it has to be one of the top three TV friendships right now, if not the best.

Props to the guest actress, because she nailed "batshit crazy." The only question is how she didn't go psycho sooner.

• Love 9

For me, it was an just an okay episode in terms of the script. I like the actors and their characters, so it wasn't an hour of my life I want back or anything, but I would've liked a little more reason to believe that the murderer had a handle on complex mathematical formulas--so few people seem to. Making her an almost super villain made this a very CSI-level episode for me.

At the end, when Sherlock went down to the basement to "see something" at Joan's behest, I was just thinking to myself how much it looked like a serial killer's lair, when we hear banging and Sherlock remarking, "Is that a nail gun?" I almost laughed, but didn't, even after we hear a cheery Joan holler that she'll be coming down there via the "other door" momentarily.

ETA: The promo monkeys and the actual plot seemed to point to this being a deliberate Motive style of mystery solving. Motive comes back to CTV (Canadian TV) March 8, and might be aired on ABC in the summer. Are ABC and CBS now step-siblings via some larger parent company?

Edited by shapeshifter

Props to the guest actress, because she nailed "batshit crazy." The only question is how she didn't go psycho sooner.

Alicia Witt! I covet her hair. And her sister is the actress who plays Piper's best friend on Orange is the New Black.

The plot was so-so. Alicia couldn't have been more obviously the killer in that TV interview if she had stabbed the camera.

Chemistry between Joan and Sherlock back up to crackling. Loved her black/white outfits too.

• Love 2

Props to the guest actress, because she nailed "batshit crazy."

It drove me crazy all episode because I've seen her in other things but couldn't for the life of me remember her name in the moment. Finally looked it up just now, and could kick myself. It's the lovely Alicia Witt, from shows like Cybill and (much more recently) her wonderful role on The Mentalist as the blind woman who had somehow befriended Red John, the evil nemesis of Patrick Jane.

Or... what vesperholly said a minute before me. LOL.

It took me a while to understand what the hell was going on, why that woman (played by Alicia) would be killing poor victims/beneficiaries. It eventually became clear that she was trying to force the hand of the insurance company to hurry up and pay out fixed amounts to all, but it just didn't make sense to me why she'd hurt victims. She was definitely heartless. At first it seemed like maybe her husband's death had made her go crazy, but when her sister said she'd always seemed to be fixated on money, it made me wonder if maybe she's not crazy, she's just sociopathic.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I understand why she went on air, to try to push the insurance company to settle faster, but it just seemed so foolish. She basically gave herself up to the police; because she seemed so callous, it made them focus on her instead of other potential suspects. Not that I wanted her to get away with it, but seeing her on the news saying those things made me think, "Wow, are you stupid."

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Can't complain too much about an episode with Alicia Witt.  That woman is just gorgeous.  And that voice!  Yep, I'm a fan.  I liked the concept of knowing she was the killer all along (certainly saved it from another round of "the recognizable face totally did it!" spiel), even if the case was just OK, and she did overplay it, which was why she got brought down.  I was wrong about her motive: I thought it was going to end up being she had a good reason to do these horrible things, but nope.  She was just a sociopath, that liked being rich.  Ball of crazy, right there.

Loved the stuff with Sherlock and Joan though.  I'm glad the idea that Joan was moving too fast was addressed, and Sherlock's fear that he was enabling her.  I liked how he brought up that he truly was glad to have her back, but even though this was what he always wanted, she still had to make sure this is what she needed. I always like that Sherlock has a awareness like this, compared to other "brilliant" lead characters.  And, I thought the resolution worked: Joan moves into the basement (but still sleeps in the same bedroom, I see), and the connecting door is barred, meaning they can only go through the other front door.  Now, that it's settle, I hope they get into what is really important: both of them spending time with Clyde!  I'm sure he's happy the parents are back together!

Nice to see Harlan help out, even if it was through text.

• Love 1

I was complaining at the sister, and poor hubby, that you just don't nag people you just identified as "off"! You also don't ask them if they need help, when you just established that they haven't needed it in the past.  I get that it was a normal woman responding to her sister in a normal person way. I don't fault her in any way. Yet? It almost got her killed, and why? Because she refused to read how her sister was reacting to her concern ( with contempt/disdain/dismissal). 

I did like that Sherlock realized that Joan may have been hasty and was trying to quietly help her. (Holding that apartment, in that town? Some very nice help.)

I like the basement set, so I am glad it will be staying for a bit. I am looking forward to how Joan will put her stamp on the space.

Det. Bell?  I don't care what you say, just talk to me. Also, keep wearing those nice suits!

Captain Gregson, especially with his news heads-up, was good to see.

Only other part I would have liked would have been Clyde, but I will hope that Ms. Hudson shows up in the next episode and offers to decorate/refinish the door to make it look better. I lie; Ms. Hudson showing up is what I want. Anything else is gravy.

We have to miss our detectives because of Victoria's Secret? ::rolls eyes:: Whatever, CBS.

• Love 1

I feel like I'm seeing a lot of Alicia WItt lately.

I hate that Joan gave up that awesome apartment, I thought I wanted her back in the brownstone, but now I don't know.

I miss Kitty.

• Love 2

I was complaining at the sister, and poor hubby, that you just don't nag people you just identified as "off"! You also don't ask them if they need help, when you just established that they haven't needed it in the past.  I get that it was a normal woman responding to her sister in a normal person way. I don't fault her in any way. Yet? It almost got her killed, and why? Because she refused to read how her sister was reacting to her concern ( with contempt/disdain/dismissal). 

Only other part I would have liked would have been Clyde, but I will hope that Ms. Hudson shows up in the next episode and offers to decorate/refinish the door to make it look better. I lie; Ms. Hudson showing up is what I want. Anything else is gravy.

We have to miss our detectives because of Victoria's Secret? ::rolls eyes:: Whatever, CBS.

The sister, I was saying the same thing, she was literally saved by the bell, knock, whatever the police did when they arrived. If your obviously unhinged sister comes in with an arm full of shopping bags all happy and then starts giving you the crazy eyes, that Alicia Witt does so well, you shut get the hell up and get out of Dodge.

I too am not missing Kitty, these past couple of episodes have shown how great Sherlock and Watson can be together. I do wish Clyde would put in an appearance!

For me, it was an just an okay episode in terms of the script. I like the actors and their characters, so it wasn't an hour of my life I want back or anything, but I would've liked a little more reason to believe that the murderer had a handle on complex mathematical formulas--so few people seem to. Making her an almost super villain made this a very CSI-level episode for me.

I didn't find her to be a supervillain.  She did what a fairly smart, sociopathic person would be able to do.  She could probably download the slimy lawyer's actuarial formula online and use her relationships with the homeless guy and the musician to plug into the formula and get their "life's worth."  Beyond that, she used her dead husband's shoes and gun, so once she drew attention to herself with the "attempted murder" and interview, it was pretty much over, especially with Sherlock on the case.

Meanwhile, even the interview wasn't an unforced error of ego.  The bank was going to take her home so she needed to move the settlement process along.

• Love 1

Question: where was the woman getting all that money to leave on the bodies of her victims? She was shown selling her jewelry, but why not use that money to pay the bank to further stall the foreclosure on her home, until she could get a settlement? I know she only left a couple grand on the homeless guy, but from what I recall she left quite a bit more on the body of that musician (minus a deduction because he was a smoker). If she had all those thousands and thousands of dollars to leave on bodies, why wasn't she using that money to help herself? I get that she wanted more than what her husband would have gotten because of his illness, so she used the money to make her violent point instead. But it just seemed bizarre.

Then again, I guess you can't really reason with a sociopath.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 3

Side note: I thought it was pretty funny that under no circumstances was Sherlock going to let some strangers set foot in his home to move Joan's stuff. He only trusts Luc, the French guy, for all his heavy lifting. Heee.

• Love 2

Yeah, it's odd to think someone who could come up with 80k for the stunt would let herself get behind enough on the mortgage to need to pull the scam so rapidly, but I don't think it was so much a "need". She definitely felt entitled to both money and the house. So I could see her continuing to spend on things she wanted, and not bother to pay the mortgage, even if she did have such liquidity to leave on the corpses. I can't imagine she couldn't have put forth enough payments to get ahead of the foreclosure out of that amount, but to her, getting a 5 mil settlement was more important than the immediate need of paying a mundane, not fun, doesn't result in any new stuff for her, bill. The sister gave me the impression she might be that type of person.

Either that or I'm guessing the happenings went the other direction, chronologically. She realized she wasn't going to get a big payoff, thought up the plan to do the murders and lawyer-shaming to force fixed price settlement, stopped paying the mortgage to stockpile cash, and sold her jewelry too (and possibly other offscreen things resulting in more cash). All for the purpose of her endgame of bigger settlement.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

And, I thought the resolution worked: Joan moves into the basement (but still sleeps in the same bedroom, I see), and the connecting door is barred, meaning they can only go through the other front door.

Stupid question that bugs me (and annoys me that it bugs me!):

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the floor plan of the brownstone, but does this mean that Joan has to go outside to get from her basement office (?) to her 2nd floor bedroom?

Stupid question that bugs me (and annoys me that it bugs me!):

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the floor plan of the brownstone, but does this mean that Joan has to go outside to get from her basement office (?) to her 2nd floor bedroom?

It sounds that way.  After she nailed the door shut (which was funny to me) she came around from the outside to enter the basement.

I think she mentioned it too,, but I could be wrong.

• Love 1

Yeah, Joan definitely said that the only entrance to the basement now is from an exterior door. I have to confess, when she said that, my initial reaction was "That's SO going to come back to bite them in the ass at some point the next time they have a home invasion."

• Love 5

...Then again, I guess you can't really reason with a sociopath.

Exactly. Sorry to continue my rant against the plot, but making the killer a sociopath means that the killer can behave very irrationally in order to arrive at the end game. I guess I've just watched too many of these kinds of stories to be intrigued.

So meanwhile the jewelry dealer just accepted that she had expensive pieces with no receipts and that she needed cash. Coincidentally, on this week's series finale for The Mentalist, the hero coerces a crooked jeweler into giving him an expensive piece in exchange for not having the jeweler charged with theft and fraud. In both cases, the jewelers just faded into the scenery.

• Love 1

The story itself was interesting if implausible, but as usual it's the dynamic between Sherlock and Joan that interests me, and this episode was no exception. I loved how he did not hesitate to tell her he wanted her to move in and that he has 'not wavered on that.'  Awww.  That's poems and songs from him, ha. 

His look when he heard the nail gun was hilarious.

• Love 2

Yeah, Joan definitely said that the only entrance to the basement now is from an exterior door. I have to confess, when she said that, my initial reaction was "That's SO going to come back to bite them in the ass at some point the next time they have a home invasion."

I was thinking that basement is a firetrap. It doesn't look like it had any egress windows. Let's hope they don't run into any killer arsonist cases. 

Is she living in the basement or is that just her office? Because it didn't look like it had a bathroom and not having a kitchen would be a bitch. Having just come from an extended stay at my parents' house where I have to walk across a three car garage in sub zero temps to get into the house for the bathroom, I can tell you that it's not the ideal living arrangement. And at least I wasn't exposed to the elements (or any neighbors) by having to go outside to get there.

Just her office, I believe. She said something about living in her bedroom upstairs but using the basement as an office where she could meet with clients, and everyone would enter from the basement entrance to get there, including Sherlock. So she could work during the day in the basement, but then go outside to leave the 'office' and re-enter the front door of the brownstone to get back into the 'home' portion of the place (kitchen, bedroom, etc.).

• Love 1

Yes, but Joan's bedroom is on the top floor (which is either the third or the fourth floor depending on which exterior you go by. We've seen two different exteriors. I think the current one is four floors. I don't think this brownstone is possible the way it's set up. The first floor (kitchen and Sherlock's playroom/guestroom seems to be just below street level. This is not uncommon in nyc. Mine is set up that way and has a street level door that one takes a couple steps down into the first floor.

The only ways into my basement are through an interior door on the first floor, like the one Joan nailed shut, and two hatches, front and back, set into the ground (think Wizard of Oz's tornado shelter). Many old brownstones were heated with coal fireplaces, and the front hatch was used to deliver coal into. Not sure why mine has a rear hatch, though it can be used to get into the backyard by going through the basement only.

Here's the problem: I'm pretty sure I saw a window behind Joan (small and very high up) while they were in the basement, which would not be possible if the first floor was slightly below street level - and have seen that it is by looking out those windows in the first floor scenes. 

Anyway, it really seems like a stupid solution to the problem - what if the boiler breaks down or there's an electrical problem while Joan is away? How could Sherlock remedy the situation without access to the basement? Also, I'm fairly certain it's illegal to run a business or rent out a basement apartment.

Yeah, the whole basement thing seems silly to me.  What does it prove? 

I didn't even think about zoning laws that might prevent running a business out of a basement, but unless it's something that's common in my area I'd be leery of hiring someone whose office is in a basement that most likely can only be accessed by the alley.  It didn't even look like a legitimate office space.  Low ceilings, probable dampness, exposed brick walls and obvious load bearing pillars, exposed pipes, old furniture - none of that says legitimate business to me.  I'd be constantly wondering if I smelled mold and checking for cobwebs.  If I realized that the only other form of egress was a door that was nailed shut I'd really be nervous.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, since Sherlock gets customers to show up in his living room, and that's not exactly the height of businesslike sophistication.

Frankly, I've never been fond of the brownstone.  It seems to be outdated at best.  Rundown and needing work is what I see.  Sherlock comes from a wealthy family, but he's living in a building that looks like it's a prime candidate for a This Old House makeover.

Maybe I'm just unhappy because Joan seems to have decided that she can never date, marry, or have children because she has decided to 'really' be a detective.  Is she now going to give up on contact with her family and friends, too?  Because her boyfriend drank coffee that was poisoned, but the poison was intended for her, she's now going to give up on all relationships that aren't connected to her detective work?  What will she do if someone takes a shot at her and hits the pedestrian standing next to her?  Move to a deserted island?

• Love 2
I didn't even think about zoning laws that might prevent running a business out of a basement, but unless it's something that's common in my area I'd be leery of hiring someone whose office is in a basement that most likely can only be accessed by the alley.  It didn't even look like a legitimate office space.  Low ceilings, probable dampness, exposed brick walls and obvious load bearing pillars, exposed pipes, old furniture - none of that says legitimate business to me.  I'd be constantly wondering if I smelled mold and checking for cobwebs.  If I realized that the only other form of egress was a door that was nailed shut I'd really be nervous.

Oh, you can finish a basement so that it cleans up pretty nicely, conceal the pipes, hot water heater, boiler, etc. I've seen some basements that were pretty decent office spaces (no clients, just people who worked from home). There aren't any alleys, though. Sherlock's brownstone is attached on both sides to other buildings, so clients would be entering through a hole in the courtyard, which is pretty creepy. So you'd open up the hatch in the ground, go down several stairs, and then through a door? Doesn't make any sense.

I did watch the episode again and it does appear that there's a three-paned window high on the wall behind Sherlock at the end of the episode, though I suppose it could be a mirror. I have seen Brownstones that have this feature in their basements, but I don't think it's possible at Sherlock's, because we've seen the first floor (kitchen, etc) is slightly below street level - so there could not be a window in the basement.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, since Sherlock gets customers to show up in his living room, and that's not exactly the height of businesslike sophistication

It's fairly canon, though. ACD's Holmes saw his clients in his living room/parlor. We watchers of the show do tend to overthink things, though, like my window nitpick. Hell, it still bugs me that Lestrade, after being mugged, drank from a bottle of booze that he kept in the backyard. He would have had no way to get to the backyard without going through the house, and the mugger had stolen his keys.

Edited by basil

Anyway, it really seems like a stupid solution to the problem - what if the boiler breaks down or there's an electrical problem while Joan is away? How could Sherlock remedy the situation without access to the basement?

Sherlock still has access to the basement. He just has to go outside to do it. My understanding of the whole "basement" thing was to address how previously, she wanted some of her own space, something other than living and breathing and being constantly surrounded by work, which she had been at the brownstone since S works as long as he's awake. And he worried she was being rash in suddenly deciding, yep, actually, that's for her too. So the whole basement thing serves two purposes: 1) Joan has a space that is intended as hers, not Sherlock's; not that he cannot enter, but it's specifically designated as her space and presumably he will respect social conventions with regard to entering and 2) Even though Joan is recommitting to detective work, and does to an extent want to immerse herself in it more, she still has created a separation between the space in which she works and the space in which she sleeps. That's why she nailed shut the interior door. It wasn't with regard for possible future home invasions (it's debateable how dumb that may be given the frequency of threats). The point was it creates for her a need to "go to work" and then also to "leave". Yes, it's less convenient, especially when it snows, that they'd need to go outside and then come back in to get to this space, and I think that's what she wanted: to manufacture that separation even though no one's really going anywhere. It's about the psychological impact of it, not practicality. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2
That's why she nailed shut the interior door. It wasn't with regard for possible future home invasions (it's debateable how dumb that may be given the frequency of threats). The point was it creates for her a need to "go to work" and then also to "leave". Yes, it's less convenient, especially when it snows, that they'd need to go outside and then come back in to get to this space.

That makes even less sense to me (plus I think it's illegal). If she simply must have her own, entirely separate space, just put a lock on the interior basement door. If I had to get into my basement through my front hatch right now I'd have to dig through snow and ice. From what we've seen from the Brownstone's exterior, Sherlock's exterior entrance of the basement also has to be a hatch - a horizontal opening, flush with the courtyard, not a vertical door.

Sherlock still has access to the basement. He just has to go outside to do it

If Sherlock still has access to the basement by going outside, I don't see the point of nailing the door shut at all.

That makes even less sense to me (plus I think it's illegal). If she simply must have her own, entirely separate space, just put a lock on the interior basement door. If I had to get into my basement through my front hatch right now I'd have to dig through snow and ice. From what we've seen from the Brownstone's exterior, Sherlock's exterior entrance of the basement also has to be a hatch - a horizontal opening, flush with the courtyard, not a vertical door.

If Sherlock still has access to the basement by going outside, I don't see the point of nailing the door shut at all.

Locks are not going to keep Sherlock out.

I think the whole purpose of that scene was for JLM's wonderful reaction.

But it doesn't make any sense, although it could become a running gag.

• Love 1

I agree about the problems with Joan's plan, but the one thing I liked about her appropriating the basement was that it showed she was taking liberties with Sherlock's house, not waiting around for him to give permission. I agree the set up is somewhat ridiculous, but since her stuff was in his basement already, it was probably easier for her to move it around by herself without lugging it upstairs, and her choosing to do this without consulting Sherlock, including nailing shut a door, redecorating, and generally taking charge within the walls of the brownstone, I think conveys that she is no longer retreating into his shadow or waiting for his direction, but making choices and taking liberties in a way that only Sherlock has done in their relationship before. It wasn't really a huge thing, but in another way, her lack of hesitation or consultation did show she was feeling somewhat more empowered than she used to feel. She was even going to take her own clients, without him, under his roof. It's a little bit er.. ballsy(?) to make a statement like that, and he seemed to accept at that point that she was in fact in charge of herself, and not retreating into being his protege, but was making a self-determining choice and asserting her equality. It was a symbolic action but effective on that level, despite the practical silliness of it.

• Love 3
Yeah, the whole basement thing seems silly to me.  What does it prove?

Raise teenagers.  I was constantly creating "private" spaces for them: a palate-wall bedroom in the back of the garage; an exterior door for a side bedroom; and, yes, a bed above the washer/dryer in the basement.  This arrangement gives Joan the illusion of separateness when she needs it, and she may not need it for long, who knows, she is in the beginning stages of complicated bereavement.  "Complicated" because, for starters,  she was in the middle of separating from the deceased at the time of death; the deceased was murdered because of her occupation, which the mind can use to trick you into thinking the death is your fault; and the deceased died in her arms.

The payoff in these scenes is the emotionally mature reaction of Sherlock.  Did he raise some teenage Baker Street Boys in London?  My favorite line of my son when he was in this stage was, "I am running away, pack me a lunch."

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 5
 Locks are not going to keep Sherlock out.

Neither will nails ;)  Plus, as others have said, it's a fire hazard. What if one of her enemies tosses a molotov cocktail through that tiny window? If she can't get to that door leading to the hatch outside (and/or what if something heavy were placed on top of the hatch?), she doesn't stand a chance if the door leading upstairs is nailed shut. She has put herself in a far less safe place than before.

I think the whole purpose of that scene was for JLM's wonderful reaction.

It was a great reaction, but to me it made both Joan and Sherlock look stupid - Sherlock for not seeing it coming, and Joan for thinking this is a good (or even workable) solution. She's going to usher her clients through a hole in the ground to her basement office?

I also am not getting Watson's angst about "not having a normal life". A surgeon's life is far from normal. I do understand her realisation that being a detective could endanger her loved ones, given that her ex-boyfriend was killed right in front of her recently, but they seem to be hitting that aspect a little too hard for my taste. The angst, I mean. She's acting like she's doomed to a fate of being a detective - as if she has no choice and isn't really happy about it. I find that odd.  

I agree about the problems with Joan's plan, but the one thing I liked about her appropriating the basement was that it showed she was taking liberties with Sherlock's house, not waiting around for him to give permission

I don't find that admirable at all. I really don't like what they are doing to Joan's character. It is Sherlock's home. He should at least be consulted on what happens in it.

• Love 1

It is Sherlock's home. He should at least be consulted on what happens in it.

IIRC, it is Sherlock's father's brownstone.  It was one of five brownstones Mr. Holmes owns in the city and Sherlock intimated that if there was a ranking of them, their brownstone would come fifth of the five.  After the way Sherlock has never felt the need to upgrade it anywhere, except maybe some in the kitchen, I don't see a problem with Joan taking over the basement. 

Sherlock was glad to have her in the building and probably doesn't care a whit about what she does to the basement. Mostly because he trusts her. It they are to be partners, asking permission, while nice, seems to put Joan in a lesser, not equal role.  Until Mr. Holmes, the father, decides it's more useful to not have his detective son and his former sober companion-turned-detective partner kicked out, I don't see where it's a problem. The thing with the interior door will get hammered out (*g*) whenever.

I understand what you mean about the permission, but I don't believe Joan and Sherlock are overly concerned about relatively cosmetic things at the house.

• Love 2

I wonder if the Show, in what was probably meant to be a throwaway gag, ever realized that people would analyze the safety vs. privacy (or priv-va-cee as Sherlock would pronounce it) issues of a nail-gun enforced Wall of Jericho!

• Love 5
IIRC, it is Sherlock's father's brownstone.  It was one of five brownstones Mr. Holmes owns in the city and Sherlock intimated that if there was a ranking of them, their brownstone would come fifth of the five.  After the way Sherlock has never felt the need to upgrade it anywhere, except maybe some in the kitchen, I don't see a problem with Joan taking over the basement.

That is absolutely correct. It does belong to Sherlock's father, but Joan is there at Sherlock's will. I don't think either Joan or Sherlock much care about upgrading or decoration much at all - aside from the occasional stolen painting worth millions borrowed and displayed for a few days ;)

Remember, in this episode, Joan was going to donate nearly all of her stuff. I don't think there's a problem intrinsically with Joan taking over the basement, but asking permission doesn't "put Joan in a lesser, not equal role", it just makes her a thoughtful partner. I do think it was played more for laughs and Joan making a point, but I just found it a ridiculous solution not worth the admittedly hilarious reaction from Sherlock. I'm dying to see how they will show Joan escorting clients into a front hatch. It's not remotely pretty and screams "serial killer". I'm betting we never actually do see it.

I wonder if the Show, in what was probably meant to be a throwaway gag, ever realized that people would analyze the safety vs. privacy (or priv-va-cee as Sherlock would pronounce it) issues of a nail-gun enforced Wall of Jericho!

Oh hell no. I don't really follow writers, but I'm willing to bet Elementary's are not New Yorkers, or maybe they just choose to ignore little details that not that many people would notice. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Love 1

but asking permission doesn't "put Joan in a lesser, not equal role", it just makes her a thoughtful partner.

For me, the "asking for permission" portion does imply that Joan doesn't get an equal say in where they both live.  I don't hear about Sherlock sending texts to his dad, getting okays for whatever. Sherlock just does. As I stated, I understand where folks are coming from on the "but it would be more polite" tip. That's not how these two work between each other any more. Sherlock still has barely any boundaries w/r/t Joan's privacy/ personal life ( everything Andrew), for example, yet Joan is expected to get a verbal nod on whether to set up an office in the basement--because it's polite.

I don't want Joan to not be her usual tactful self, but I don't think she wasn't mindful in her decisions. She took the cruddiest part of the brownstone as her office. She has her regular, not really decorated private room. She only nail-gunned the one interior door to the basement. She's planning on making the basement nicer. I'm not  understanding other folks' unease at Joan's supposed lack of politeness when it didn't phase Sherlock. Except for that moment on the stairs. *g*

• Love 3
For me, the "asking for permission" portion does imply that Joan doesn't get an equal say in where they both live.

I see both sides of the argument, for sure, but I lean toward this side. If Joan is constantly asking permission about any aspect of living in the brownstone, it's not really going to be her home. If Sherlock is serious about the brownstone being Joan's home as much as it is his home--which, to his credit, I 500% believe he is--then they should have an equal ability to do whatever to the physical space (short of burning it down, obviously). As Sherlock tends to do whatever he wants with it, that means Joan should get equal play! And frankly, as long as she doesn't burn it down, I don't think Sherlock cares one whit what she does.

Forever ago, someone really astutely observed that when she lived at the brownstone the first time, Joan never changed her room at all--it was like on some level she knew/felt like living their was transitory. I agree that it was played for gags, but Joan taking over the basement like this is that sign of "yes, I DO live here" that we'd never seen previously.

• Love 6
Until Mr. Holmes, the father, decides it's more useful to not have his detective son and his former sober companion-turned-detective partner kicked out, I don't see where it's a problem.

Thanks to this comment, I was able to see this from Papa Holmes perspective.  I bet it gives him to great comfort to know, l assume he knows, that Sherlock is living with his former sober companion that can help keep him on the up and up.

For me, the "asking for permission" portion does imply that Joan doesn't get an equal say in where they both live.  I don't hear about Sherlock sending texts to his dad, getting okays for whatever. Sherlock just does.

Sherlock's papa doesn't live there, and presumably doesn't care what goes on. Sherlock does live there, and there is no reason at all why Watson should get "equal say", much less do things without as much as consulting with Sherlock about it, especially when it comes to safety issues and making a critical part of their home inaccessible to him.

If Sherlock is serious about the brownstone being Joan's home as much as it is his home--which, to his credit, I 500% believe he is--then they should have an equal ability to do whatever to the physical space (short of burning it down, obviously). As Sherlock tends to do whatever he wants with it, that means Joan should get equal play! And frankly, as long as she doesn't burn it down, I don't think Sherlock cares one whit what she does.

It is the lack of communication that I find problematic. Sure, build a plane in the basement if you want - but wouldn't it be proper to at least mention it first?

Forever ago, someone really astutely observed that when she lived at the brownstone the first time, Joan never changed her room at all--it was like on some level she knew/felt like living their was transitory

Well, originally, it was transitory, but after her sobriety companion gig was up, she could have changed things, since she knew she was no longer transitory.. She chose not to.  I don't think Joan really cares about decorations and such. She and Sherlock seem to be very practical people. Joan said as much when Sherlock was having her stuff moved. She only wanted to take what she needed. He was the one who insisted that they take it all.

I'm dying to see how they will show Joan escorting clients into a front hatch.

If it's anything like most NYC brownstones (which it looks so in exterior shots), it has a fully accessible basement entry with stairs down and a regular door. It's not so much a subterranean basement as a ground floor. You can see the architecture of one here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/09/de/c5/09dec5f29566b9a2e8c22266e20c3f70.jpg

• Love 2

Sherlock needs to investigate why Aidan's Quinn's hair keeps changing color. 

I loved that last episode, there was a hint that Sherlock wasn't sure that this was the best for Watson. And what Watson was saying was a bit out of character for her. Given what had happened, wasn't exactly out of left field, though. And it's addressed in this episode where Sherlock acts, quietly, in the background, to help Watson as much as she has helped him. And to see the two of them talking, albeit interrupted, about it was lovely. I love these two and how well they understand and "get" each other.

And even the mystery was interesting, if a little creepy. Well, a lot creepy.

• Love 3

I agree, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  But the reason why that part threw me was because the rest of the episode was serious, a serious case, Sherlock's discussion with Joan was serious and then the ending felt like something out of a 1970's sitcom, like it didn't belong with the rest of the episode.  

• Love 1

I think Joan's angsty conclusion that she can't have a normal life is because her boyfriend was just murdered in front of her, and she herself was the target. if she wasn't a little angsty about it, I'd be upset. It hasn't bee that long since it happened.

It will get tedious to watch after a while, but I don't think it's unearned.

• Love 7
If it's anything like most NYC brownstones (which it looks so in exterior shots), it has a fully accessible basement entry with stairs down and a regular door. It's not so much a subterranean basement as a ground floor. You can see the architecture of one here: https://s-media-cach...266e20c3f70.jpg

Thanks so much for that link, vesperholly, as it helps make my point visually. Yes, Sherlock's (and my) brownstone look very similar to that. The steps (or stoop, as we call them) would lead up to the door(s) Joan and Sherlock usually use to enter and exit the brownstone, leading to the 2nd floor living room/parlor.

The vertical door set into the space below the steps would lead to the kitchen/Sherlock's playroom floor, the first and ground floor, which is often set just a bit below street level (as Sherlock's appears to be). It would also be from this level you would get to the backyard where Lestrade hid his booze ;)

Below that is an actual subterranean basement, that holds the boiler, hot water heater, electric panels, plumbing pipes, etc, and that's the space  Joan has taken over. Any access to the subterranean basement from the courtyard as in your picture would then have to be a horizontal hatch, set flush with the concrete, usually somewhere around where the rounded plant is in your photo.

So, Joan and Sherlock were in the kitchen, Joan wanted to "show" Sherlock something in the basement, nailed him in, ran out the door that corresponds to the one in your photo under the stairs, went into the courtyard, opened the hatch in the ground, ran down the stairs and through the door at the bottom of the stairs that led from the courtyard to the basement to meet him and explain her plan. Without building a small structure with another vertical door in the courtyard (not impossible, but  I've never seen anyone do that, and we haven't seen anything like that in the exterior shots) that's the only way it could work. 

Again, just one of those things I'll just have to handwave, because not that many people really know about it, so the writers don't care about the logistics.

I think Joan's angsty conclusion that she can't have a normal life is because her boyfriend was just murdered in front of her, and she herself was the target. if she wasn't a little angsty about it, I'd be upset. It hasn't bee[n] that long since it happened.

It will get tedious to watch after a while, but I don't think it's unearned.

Oh, I agree, and I hope Joan is seeing her therapist. I've no doubt she's suffering from PTSD to a degree, which is likely causing some of her slightly "off" behavior - it's just the "doomed to be a detective" thing I find odd.

Sherlock needs to investigate why Aidan's Quinn's hair keeps changing color.

Now, that really is a mystery. ;) My guess is that he's working another project and they are shooting his scenes out of order to work around the other project.

Sherlock needs to investigate why Aidan's Quinn's hair keeps changing color...

Yes. Hee. I liked it this week. It's becoming as noticeable as Joan's wardrobe.

Like others upthread, I've been assuming the nailed door will trap someone in the basement with a predator or fire or poison gas or something. But maybe instead it will keep a predator from getting into the basement.