Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: When Your Number's Up

Question: where was the woman getting all that money to leave on the bodies of her victims? She was shown selling her jewelry, but why not use that money to pay the bank to further stall the foreclosure on her home, until she could get a settlement? I know she only left a couple grand on the homeless guy, but from what I recall she left quite a bit more on the body of that musician (minus a deduction because he was a smoker). If she had all those thousands and thousands of dollars to leave on bodies, why wasn't she using that money to help herself? I get that she wanted more than what her husband would have gotten because of his illness, so she used the money to make her violent point instead. But it just seemed bizarre.

Then again, I guess you can't really reason with a sociopath.

Maybe she got a hundred thousand or so out of her jewelry but she owes well over a million on her home.  The 100K is essentially irrelevant, even if it buy her another month or two.  However, by enacting her murder plan, she stands to gain 5 million, which will pay off her debt and let her keep her home (and, at least for a while longer, her chosen lifestyle).

I can't understand why the sister of the killer went to the house and confronted her.  It doesn't seem like a good idea to go to someone you suspect is a double killer, all alone and apparently unarmed, with no mention of having confided her suspicions with anyone else, and call them out on their crimes.  Yeah, she's your sister, but you already know that money, lifestyle, and material goods have always been the prime motivating factor in her life.  I like to think that I'd have gone to the police and then checked into a motel in another state under an assumed name until the issue was cleared up one way or the other.

Sister was lucky the police arrived when they did.  I was surprised though, when Psycho Killer Sis realizes that there are police outside, she looks at Big Sister and when Big Sister says "I didn't call them", Psycho Sis just puts the knife back in the drawer and goes out to meet her fate.  I guess she still thought she'd be able to talk her way out of things, but not if she had the freshly killed body of her sister in her living room and blood on her hands and clothing.

I think Psycho Killer was also a Narcissist.  She thought she was due all the things she wanted because she was just 'all that', and the psycho aspect in her made it all the more easier to make that happen.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 1

Interesting that if she didn't kill someone that was "worth" so much (costing her $80,000 ) for the second murder she might not have been so desperate to force the airline's hand with the staged attempt and transparent TV interview.

Interesting that if she didn't kill someone that was "worth" so much (costing her $80,000 ) for the second murder she might not have been so desperate to force the airline's hand with the staged attempt and transparent TV interview.

She still had a lot of bills to pay.  And if she was involved at one point with a hedge fund manager, she would have learned that sometimes you have to risk a fair amount for an even bigger payday.

In a way, it's a shame -- if she had hooked up with the claims adjuster (the first suspect).  A sociopath like her would have fit right in.  And the companies she was working for would have done the killings for her.

ETA: Either the brownstone is Joan's home, in which case she can take over the basement (hardly anywhere near the kind of infringement Sherlock has done) without asking, or it's not really her home.  Sherlock thinks it is, does stuff without asking (or even saying he's going to) and doesn't seem to mind, so I'm not going to.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2