Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I watched a fluffy little retrospective recently and remembered how much I enjoyed this show in the beginning.  I started drifting away after probably five or six seasons, and I can't remember when I quit watching for good - probably when they dropped.a.helicopter. on Romano. 

I spent a fair bit of time on the Warner Bros. lot back then because of where I worked, so I used to see George Clooney shooting hoops during downtime.  God, he's gorgeous.  Anyway ...

I could not stand Lucy (partly character, mostly actor -- she bugs me in every role I've seen her play), but the episode that opens with everyone finding out she and Carter were stabbed is one of my favorites.  The cast just nails the reactions; Benton tearing around that corner gives me chills.  I even like Lucy, struggling to remove her oxygen mask in order to thank Corday.

I also remember the live episode (and remember trading tapes with a friend in Boston so we'd each have both the West Coast and East Coast versions) and Love's Labor Lost, but otherwise it's just scattered scenes in my memory (like when the mangled patient who'd thrown himself in front of a train turned out to be Gant).  Is this show airing anywhere?  I don't want to own it, but I'd love to revisit it. 

• Love 2

I watched a fluffy little retrospective recently and remembered how much I enjoyed this show in the beginning.  I started drifting away after probably five or six seasons, and I can't remember when I quit watching for good - probably when they dropped.a.helicopter. on Romano. 

I spent a fair bit of time on the Warner Bros. lot back then because of where I worked, so I used to see George Clooney shooting hoops during downtime.  God, he's gorgeous.  Anyway ...

I could not stand Lucy (partly character, mostly actor -- she bugs me in every role I've seen her play), but the episode that opens with everyone finding out she and Carter were stabbed is one of my favorites.  The cast just nails the reactions; Benton tearing around that corner gives me chills.  I even like Lucy, struggling to remove her oxygen mask in order to thank Corday.

I also remember the live episode (and remember trading tapes with a friend in Boston so we'd each have both the West Coast and East Coast versions) and Love's Labor Lost, but otherwise it's just scattered scenes in my memory (like when the mangled patient who'd thrown himself in front of a train turned out to be Gant).  Is this show airing anywhere?  I don't want to own it, but I'd love to revisit it. 

I haven't seen ER in syndication in eons. Of course, I do own the DVDs, so it's not so bad. But, yeah, it was in syndication, if I recall, back in the early to mid 2000s on TNT and maybe locally on some channels during the late night hours, but I haven't seen it in years since it did a fade from TNT. I'm shocked, since it was such a hit during first run. But then, ER tended to become more serialized and I've read that that usually doesn't do as well in syndication versus self-contained shows.

You can buy episodes on Amazon (but it's not Prime streaming, so you have to purchase them) and maybe iTunes, but I think that's it as of now.

Thanks for the info.  I'm old school, so if it's not on TV, forget it.  But maybe I'll check my library to see if they have the DVDs to rent.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember if I tuned back in for the series finale.  I feel I must have, since I did watch the show for quite some time, but I just read a summary and none of the plots - and few of the characters/actors - sound familiar.

I know the finale was like an original cast + Kerry reunion (along with a side of the current cast). It was a nice revisit, and the original cast (Wyle, Stringfield, et. al) were first in the credits BEFORE the current cast in the finale. Which was extra nice because, after three or four seasons with just the tile and actor's names as the show was starting, the theme was brought back for it.

Here are the special opening credits for anyone who may have never seen them.

ETA: Looks like my memory was a bit faulty: Wyle, Innes, and Stringfield started it off, but then some old-timers (LaSalle, Kingston) were mixed with the later cast.

Can't believe I actually found an ER forum! Highly recommend this great oral history on "Love's Labor Lost" if you haven't read it yet. It aired 20 years ago this week. Crazy. I remember watching it live and being crushed. I also forgot Anthony Edwards and Bradley Whitford were in The Client together until I read this.

Edited by alihart41
  • Love 1

The Client is the only Grisham adaptation I like (thank you, Susan Sarandon) and I watch it every time it's on TV, so I knew Edwards and Whitford were both in it, but I didn't know they'd bunked together during filming.

That was a great article; Love's Labor Lost is one of the few episodes I remember with any clarity, so that was a nice walk down memory lane.  That was definitely "water cooler" television.  Not on par with the thirtysomething episode in which Gary died, but lots of "Oh my god, did you see that?" discussion the next day.

Yeah, it was all my friends and I talked about the next day in school. Chulack's right that it was more intimate then. I often wonder what it'd be like if ER, Friends, Seinfeld, et. al aired now with Twitter and everything.

God, that was such an intense episode. Even knowing the outcome I don't think I could rewatch it. I just remember not really understanding exactly why she was having trouble and things just kept getting worse and just hoping that Mark would save her and everything would turn out okay in the end and when it didn't.....

Looking back, Love's Labor Lost wasn't really all that realistic. I think she would have been shipped straight to OB, but then we wouldn't have had such a harrowing, great episode. I recall reading behind the scenes, per Noah Wyle, that either he or Edwards, forget whom, was sick when filming this, and the I.V. poles were real equipment and, in between scenes, NW or AE were being given I.V. medicine!

Oh yeah, and Dr. Coburn was a huge bitch. Yes, Mark screwed up ROYALLY, but she should have hauled ass sooner, as I recall the ER kept phoning upstairs (hence the unreal angle). Still, though, it was a GREAT episode that had lasting repercussions for Mark.

I never got into this show, but I have been watching Elizabeth Mitchell's stint during Season 7. Right off the bat I feel like there are way too many actors/characters and storylines going. I don't know how anyone kept up. LOL

To be fair, I think S7 was ER's biggest cast.

It's amazing how this show has faded on me. Thursday was all about ER at my house in the late nineties and (VERY) early aughts. I cannot even remember when I stopped watching. I watched that credits sequence from the finale that WendyCR72 posted above, and I recognized some of those characters but had no idea Angela Bassett had ever been on this show even as a guest star. So that was way after my time.

I do remember Parminder Nagra, whose character was so annoying. Didn't she quit to go work at the Qwik-E-Mart and had to dress like the Statue of Liberty? I remember Shane West losing his legs. I remember a character who was a former beauty queen having trouble being taken seriously as a pediatrician, and she had a relationship with Benton. But after about the first six seasons, when I try to recall specific stories, I just remember OTT ridiculous ones like the angry stroke patient taking Luka hostage and breaking his hand, Mark/Elizabeth's baby OD'ing on Ecstasy, and those criminals abducting Abby from the ER and giving Luka something that paralyzed him.

A lot of the new actors they tried to make happen never really fit in, after the first five seasons. Maura Tierney and Linda Cardellini were great, though. They could have been part of the original cast.

Edited by Asp Burger
(edited)

Yay, ER forum!

the episode that opens with everyone finding out she and Carter were stabbed is one of my favorites.  The cast just nails the reactions; Benton tearing around that corner gives me chills

My favorite episode, hands down. I remember the episode before ending on a cliffhanger of the two of them being stabbed...I was on an unrelated forum that night, and it turned out there were a whole lot of ER watchers, lol, someone instantly started a thread titled, "Somebody page Benton!!!!" with no explanation, just scared and crying smilie faces, but mad people got in there immediately, freaking out. Man, I loved the way Benton dealt with Carter this whole storyline, through the addiction.

like when the mangled patient who'd thrown himself in front of a train turned out to be Gant

That...was some seriously messed up stuff. There was a good long while there where I felt that ER truly had the ability to surprise (and sometimes straight up shock) me.Such a great show.

Here are the special opening credits for anyone who may have never seen them.

I watched the finale after having not watched for ages. I figured the entire episode would be worth it as soon as I saw the special opening credits -- seeing Benton's karate chop alone was enough for me! ;)

Love's Labour Lost was harrowing, to say the least. I was so just freaked out along with all the characters by the time someone crashed into one of the tables and Greene had to VERY DELIBERATELY calm himself and everyone down (while ordering someone to physically drag someone from OB downstairs). I was in high school, had less of a frame of reference for what was realistic -- always good to hear that things like that generally aren't! -- but man, for drama? Can't be beat. ("Are you asking me?!" "I'm asking God.")

Edited by mattie0808
  • Love 1

I loved the first 5 or 6 seaosons and would rarely miss an episode. The next few seasons though, I began watching the show less and less. The magic just quite wasn't there. I checked out sometime during the 9th season. I did come back for the last few seasons, and while they weren't great, I did like them, even if I wasn't watching as religously as before. I did go back and rewatch the seasons inbetween...and man, what a chore.

The finale episode was pretty good. The final scene was one of the better ones I've seen on a show.

God, I loved this show. I got frustrated with it as time went on and they kept killing everybody off. But it was so good in the beginning. Doug and Carol. Sigh. To this day if I see Clooney and Julianna Margulies cross paths on an awards show I get all swoony.

And how I sobbed when Mark died! I still don't like that Doug wasn't at his funeral, though.

Agreed that Carter and Lucy getting stabbed was an amazing storyline, and that song they played during that scene still gives me chills when I hear it.

• Love 4

Looking back, Love's Labor Lost wasn't really all that realistic. I think she would have been shipped straight to OB, but then we wouldn't have had such a harrowing, great episode. I recall reading behind the scenes, per Noah Wyle, that either he or Edwards, forget whom, was sick when filming this, and the I.V. poles were real equipment and, in between scenes, NW or AE were being given I.V. medicine!

Noah Wyle.  I think it was straight saline though rather than any medication.

While a number of character overlapped, ER seemed to have three different casts. There was the Original ER, with Julianna Margulies, Anthony Edwards, George Clooney, Noah Wyle etc. Then there was the middle period when Luka replaced Doug as the hunk, and Abby replaced Carol and The Nurse and they added Neela and some others.  Then there was the third cast, with Stamos and Linda Cardellini and Brenner and Morris.

I watched from the beginning but I really got hooked in the middle period because I started to care about the characters.-  Everyone I've talked to has their favorite time period and rarely the twains meet.

I remember Love's Labors Lost and how much I hated that episode because it seemed to me to be so stupid.  One of those things that if they had just had an OB resident on call, it all could have been avoided.  By that time I'd put in a couple of years working in a hospital myself and it all seemed so contrived.

Oh, ER, I still love it so. I watched a few of the early episodes live with my parents, then around 2000/2001 I started watching regularly each week, and would catch up on earlier episodes via tape when they aired on TNT. And Dr. Luka Kovac still has my undying love. Even when he spent the last 6 seasons being a broody SOB I couldn't hate him. Such a tragic background and such a hot man. When he was wooing Carole early on, I melted. And when he went after the neighbor who beat up Abby (she had treated the neighbor's girlfriend for injuries and referred her to a shelter), I though the screen might burst into flames. Maybe that's just me... (fans self).

The death of Dr. Greene was a huge moment, but once he and Dr. Corday got married I think both of their characters took a turn for the worse. And don't get me started on dropping a helicopter on Dr. Romano - I really thought "dropping the helicopter" would replace "jumping the shark" in TV lexicon.

Loved Neela in the later years, but couldn't stand Shane West and that actor who played Archie. John Stamos was ok, but Linda Cardinelli bugged the hell out of me, though I appreciated having a main cast member with more of a checkered, hardscrabble past. 

Through the whole run of the show, what bugged me the most were the amount of unplanned pregnancies among the female staff. I mean, accidents do happen, but these were all medical professionals who knew about the birds and bees, right? 

I could go on and on since there's 14 (or 15?) seasons to talk about. Hopefully this thread gets a little more active so we can relive the good old days.

• Love 1

My favourite episode is an early one "Blizzard" (Wow, checking Wiki it was actually only the 10th episode), because it went from goofing around in the first half (well, it was probably only 5 or so minutes) to complete crisis mode once they hear about a 20 car pile up. People tragically died, people were heroically saved, 10 units of O Neg were hung on the rapid infuser STAT... good times! I just loved the change of mood in the episode, because realistically, there would be times when the ER was quiet but always ready to flip into crisis mode at any moment. And being early in series, it wasn't bogged down in relationship drama (though I guess some people might see that as a negative!).

phantom Through the whole run of the show, what bugged me the most were the amount of unplanned pregnancies among the female staff. I mean, accidents do happen, but these were all medical professionals who knew about the birds and bees, right?

Obviously it's a real world problem meeting scripted television: while Doctors should know about contraception, actresses aren't prepared to put their family plans on hold (since unlike in the bad old days, they won't get instantly fired for getting pregnant).

• Love 1

Oh yeah, and Dr. Coburn was a huge bitch. Yes, Mark screwed up ROYALLY, but she should have hauled ass sooner, as I recall the ER kept phoning upstairs (hence the unreal angle). Still, though, it was a GREAT episode that had lasting repercussions for Mark.

Love's Labour Lost was harrowing, to say the least. I was so just freaked out along with all the characters by the time someone crashed into one of the tables and Greene had to VERY DELIBERATELY calm himself and everyone down (while ordering someone to physically drag someone from OB downstairs). I was in high school, had less of a frame of reference for what was realistic -- always good to hear that things like that generally aren't! -- but man, for drama? Can't be beat. ("Are you asking me?!" "I'm asking God.")

I remember Love's Labors Lost and how much I hated that episode because it seemed to me to be so stupid.  One of those things that if they had just had an OB resident on call, it all could have been avoided.  By that time I'd put in a couple of years working in a hospital myself and it all seemed so contrived.

A year or two after ER premiered, I checked out a book called The Medicine of ER, which discussed how realistic the series was generally; they spent a whole chapter discussing this episode. Highlights as I remember them:

1) The ER would have immediately sent the woman up to OB/GYN. "There aren't any beds available" simply would not be a legitimate excuse in a large metropolitan teaching hospital, especially over the nine hour-span of the episode.

2) Same with the lack of an on-duty OB. If none really were in, they'd start calling OB doctors with privileges and tell them to come in. During the nine hours, they could have even flown one in from New York.

3) Even if there somehow weren't an OB available, they'd get a surgeon to do the Caesarean; Peter Benton is mentioned as not being available, but he would hardly be the ONLY surgeon in the hospital during a nine-hour stretch of time. The only time an ER doctor would do a Caesarean is a car accident or hemorrhage or other situation where the mother has just been brought into the ER, will literally be dead in minutes, and they're trying to save the baby's life.

4) The part with the OB coming in and trying to blame Greene for everything IS realistic. CYA is always SOP.

OTOH, the episode was outstanding; my mom told me later it had helped her resolve some mental issues she'd been carrying around since I was born 22 years earlier (she'd come into the hospital late at night, desperately in labor with me and with her water breaking, only to have the ER doc insist she was being hysterical and "she just has bad hygiene." He continued in this vein until the Attending told him, between clenched teeth, "IT TESTS POSITIVE FOR AMNIOTIC FLUID!" In the Caesarean that followed, I was found to have wrapped the umbilical cord around my neck three times. She remembered the original ER doc coming in the next day and stammering his way through an apology, but was too drugged out to really respond).

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 3

seeing Benton's karate chop alone was enough for me!

God the karate chop is so awesome.  I don't know if it is the timing of the music or what, but it is just exciting to see it.

I will never forget the Lucy/Carter stabbing episodes - that was really good tv.  So many emotions.

I have been doing a rewatch and I am about done with Season 1.  What an amazing show.  A lot of stuff I remembered wrong.  I thought everyone knew Carter was wealthy from the first episode.  Also he mentions a sister that was obviously forgotten about. 

I totally forgot about Carol's fiancee, Tag.  I felt bad for him.

• Love 2

I totally forgot about Carol's fiancee, Tag.  I felt bad for him.

I remember him, because Rick Rossovich.  Yummy.

One of them left the other at the altar, right?  Because of Doug?  I have a vague memory of everybody partying in their wedding attire afterward and some snarky remark about it being on Tag’s dime.  That’s it.

• Love 1

One of them left the other at the altar, right?  Because of Doug?  I have a vague memory of everybody partying in their wedding attire afterward and some snarky remark about it being on Tag’s dime.  That’s it.

Tag left Carol at the altar because he realized she was really in love with Doug, much as she might want to deny it to herself.

Still a dick thing to do, though.

• Love 1

And how I sobbed when Mark died! I still don't like that Doug wasn't at his funeral, though.

I just knew there was going to be a special surprise guest appearance by George Clooney lol. They could've at least shown someone reading a card from Doug or mention a flower arrangement he sent or something.

(edited)

Like most people here the episodes that immediately come to mind are the two-parter Be Still My Heart and All in the Family. From BSMH the scene I remember best is when Carter has just fallen on the floor after being stabbed and when he looks around him he sees Lucy on her stomach covered in blood, gasping for breath. The most popular moment from AinF seems to be either when Weaver found them, when Lucy died, or when the staff is in the diner across the street fondly recalling fun times with Carter and Lucy and one of the nurses comes in and tells them Lucy died. But for me it's toward the end when Benton is talking to Carter and gets him to laugh, Carter sort of freezes and realizes then says, "Lucy's dead, isn't she?"

Edited by slf
  • Love 6

I also like when the killer's wife - who has been insisting he's just a little depressed and would never do something like what they're accusing him of - hears his paranoid delusions and realizes the truth; he does have schizophrenia, and he did attack two people.  It's a nice bit of face acting. 

And when Romano tells Lucy they've invested too much in her training to lose her now, and then when he throws a fit when she dies.

When they're trying to get back into her chest to deal with the second PE and Romano asks for wire cutters.  Someone asks why and Corday says, "We wired the breastbone shut."  The line delivery on that is perfect.

It is just such a well-done episode all around. 

• Love 5

I was at a professional function the night that episode aired.  I was talking with a colleague I had just met, when she remarked she had to go home because it was time for ER.   I realized the time, and headed home as well.  My jaw dropped open as the episode came to an end and I thought "Oh my god, I have to talk to somebody!" but I thought it would be weird to track down my colleague's home phone number.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I just wasted an unconscionable amount of time watching ER clips on YouTube.

If I had to pick a favorite relationship from this show, I think I'd go with Carter and Benton.  But I also really like Romano and Lizzie; I liked how he was different with her, but still the Rocket Romano we all love to hate.  (I still cannot believe they actually dropped a fucking helicopter on him to kill off the character.)

And speaking of characters killed off, does anyone know the story behind George Clooney not appearing in episode with Mark's funeral - was he asked and said no, or not asked?  Doug's absence was glaring, and I don't think they even mentioned him.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also like when the killer's wife - who has been insisting he's just a little depressed and would never do something like what they're accusing him of - hears his paranoid delusions and realizes the truth; he does have schizophrenia, and he did attack two people.  It's a nice bit of face acting. 

Seeing her round pregnant belly and hearing he denials when they brought her character into the ER broke my heart. I remember the moment you're talking about and I wanted to hug her. Liza Weil did a great job with such a small role. I still can't believe this was the same year she played 16 year old Paris Gellar on Gilmore Girls. That woman is an immortal or something.

37 minutes ago, BigBeagle said:

Re: All in the Family: When the camera follows Peter As he runs through the halls and bellows, "IS HE CONSCIOUS?!?!?," I about lost it.

To add to that, I liked once they were upstairs in the OR, Carter is understandably terrified, even more so because as a doctor, he understands all the talk about injuries. Benton tries to talk him down a bit, and then Carter just says, "I'm glad it's you." Man, oh man.

I also liked how Anspaugh was involved. He was the one Carter screamed at when Carter was trying to help the elderly couple in the ER find placement in a nursing home and Anspaugh was riding him (Carter) about missing surgical rounds. And yet he helped Carter get the ER placement. So he had a natural connection to it all, too.

The whole thing was just such a gut punch.

• Love 7

I am a total sucker for storylines when doctors suffer serious injury or illness, precisely because they understand all too well what they're facing.  And a good actor can make that plain as day on his or her face. 

As I said, Benton and Carter have my favorite relationship on the show, so their dynamic is one of my favorite things about this episode filled with favorite things -- the characterization is just perfect!  Benton tearing around that corner and demanding to know if Carter is conscious.  The visible tug he feels when he has to attend to Lucy.  The full-on "he's stable, I'll be back" refusal to attend to the patient who's just some regular body on the table to him.  And, yeah, Carter saying, "I'm glad it's you." 

• Love 6

And speaking of characters killed off, does anyone know the story behind George Clooney not appearing in episode with Mark's funeral - was he asked and said no, or not asked?  Doug's absence was glaring, and I don't think they even mentioned him.

I have no idea, but I'd guess he either wasn't asked or wasn't available.  It would probably be a big ask to get him back for what would be a non-speaking cameo, and his presence may be seen as overwhelming what was supposed to be a final good bye for the character of Mark.  It also wasn't a situation like when Carol left where his appearance was a big surprise and an extremely meaningful way to end Carol's story. 

• Love 1
On 6/15/2016 at 6:33 PM, Bastet said:

I know the answer to this one George was asked about returning and I believe so was Julianna, but they both declined because they felt that their characters presence there would overshadow the funeral & Mark's death basically.

• Love 2

I watched this show with my mom fairly often, but I barely remember anything (I was pretty young tbh, I wish this show would get picked up on a streaming service. I really feel like I would like it >.<). 

Though I do remember when Luka was being held hostage and tortured. Ugh, his hand. That shit was pretty intense. My poor mom was ugly crying, lol. 

• Love 1
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM, John Potts said:

My favourite episode is an early one "Blizzard" (Wow, checking Wiki it was actually only the 10th episode), because it went from goofing around in the first half (well, it was probably only 5 or so minutes) to complete crisis mode once they hear about a 20 car pile up. People tragically died, people were heroically saved, 10 units of O Neg were hung on the rapid infuser STAT... good times! I just loved the change of mood in the episode, because realistically, there would be times when the ER was quiet but always ready to flip into crisis mode at any moment. And being early in series, it wasn't bogged down in relationship drama (though I guess some people might see that as a negative!).

The weirdest thing about this episode is the motorcycle accident...

On 10/16/2016 at 11:22 AM, Sarahendipity said:

Who rides their motorcycle when the city is paralyzed by a snowstorm?

You don't know many Harley riders, do you? :-)

I will love "Blizzard" forever, for all the reasons mentioned. After this episode, I was totally hooked.

• Love 2

I just posted this information on the Small Talk forum, but Pop Channel is showing 'ER' starting with the pilot episode tomorrow (Saturday).  I don't know if they've been showing it or this is new for them, but I'm looking forward to seeing those episodes I haven't seen in years.  I know there will be a lot of 'I forgot about that!' or 'I don't remember that person being on the show!'

And--after reading the comments above--it looks like 'Blizzard' is scheduled to air on April 1 (4pm CST) and 'Love's Labor Lost' on April 7 (3pm CST).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I just posted this information on the Small Talk forum, but Pop Channel is showing 'ER' starting with the pilot episode tomorrow (Saturday).  I don't know if they've been showing it or this is new for them, but I'm looking forward to seeing those episodes I haven't seen in years.  I know there will be a lot of 'I forgot about that!' or 'I don't remember that person being on the show!'

And--after reading the comments above--it looks like 'Blizzard' is scheduled to air on April 1 (4pm CST) and 'Love's Labor Lost' on April 7 (3pm CST).

I CANNOT tell you how excited I am about this.  Although, I just bought 3 seasons on Amazon.  That's ok, I will be happy to re-re-watch!

• Love 1

According to my DVR, the pilot starts at 12 noon (CST) and other episodes seem to be scattered around with no specific days/times.  I just hope they show all of them in order and don't skip around.  I have forgotten so much about the series, it'll be like watching it new (I hope).  I can't even think of any specific episodes I'm looking forward to, so some will be a nice surprise (and I'm sure others will make me say 'ugh, I hated this episode'). 

So far, I've only watched the pilot and the first episode ('Day one', I think it's called).  I've just started the second one.  I'm really looking forward to re-watching these.  It's been so long that they seem like a brand new show. This is going to be fun.  I agree that Benton, although still arrogant, was much nicer and less Mr. Grumpypants in the pilot (and he actually seemed unsure of himself a couple of times).  And Carter looked like he was about seventeen.  Such a baby!  The scene where he had to insert his first IV unsupervised was hysterical!  

• Love 1