Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The ER treatment of the "nurse doctor" concept bugged me just because they had established the nursing corp as being friends or it seemed that way--and they are so quick to drop Carol and no one calls them on the lack of loyalty. It would be different if the episode had Carol being a complete "I'm going to be a doctor so I have no time for you nurse people" jerk but they didn't even bother establishing that.

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

There were two different women called Abby that Carter dated on the show. Abby Keaton, the one with the annoying voice and Abby Lockhart, the one with the annoying everything.

Thanks for this, but I was wondering, specifically, what the initials "M" and "k" and the numbers "1" and "2" stood for.  

I remember extremely detesting Abby Lockhart.

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Speaking of which, I think the episode where Shep is accused of being racist will be coming up soon, if it's not already been on. That bugged me to, because while 'these people' is a loaded term, to me it always felt like he was talking about drug addicts, not African-Americans. I thought Maleek and Benton both accusing him was a little harsh. Again, the writing could be heavy handed.

Shep's storylines have come and gone. But I agree, I thought Malik and Benton were being kind of harsh that day. I also thought Shep's short temper and intolerance for some of the patients was pretty understandable. Not that it was healthy; I agree he needed therapy, but given what they see on a daily basis there's got to be a lot of emergency personnel that have days like that. I had the same thought with the recent episode where Mark treats the basketball player and assumes he's a gang banger, and his brother accuses him of treating the white patient better. It's true he made wrong assumptions, but given what they see on a daily basis, it's got to be hard for them to see every patient with fresh eyes. 

• Love 2

I also thought that episode with Mark and the basketball player was a little slanted---(a) Mark does not normally assure patient families out of the blue that their child was at the wrong place at the wrong time--that seemed a bit out of character and to make the contrast stronger for story purposes; and (b) the brother of the basketball player was extremely hostile from the get-go and they allowed him to hang out in the procedure room when they normally send people to the WR to "let the doctors do their work." Instead, he got to hang out, yell at people, go into the next room and tell Benton to come work on his brother and then knock some instruments around. Parents calmer than him are told to get out.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Shep's storylines have come and gone. But I agree, I thought Malik and Benton were being kind of harsh that day.

Oh, I think there was definitely a racial element to his comment.  And, in typical fashion, instead of stepping back and examining whether racial bias played a role in his attitude, he just pulled the "I can't be racist, because I'm friends with Raul" card.

The live episode.  I remember what a big deal that was at the time.  A friend in Boston and I (I'm in Los Angeles) exchanged tapes, so we could each see both versions.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

So I just saw the ep where, in the last segment, a softened Dr Anspaugh agrees to let Carter change his specialty from surgery to ER med.  He admits to having his own doubts (over choice of specialty) over the years, and says Carter seems very sure, and, "What are you, 26?"

"25."

So I rolled my eyes in empathy, looked up John Aylward's age at the time of the ep, and he was 51.

So: younger than I am now.

Yeeeeowwwwch.

• Love 1
(edited)

Now here's the documentary crew ep, with John Hawkins and Lisa Edelstein.

Best moment? the janitor being interviews about what it's like to mop up all the puke, etc.  He turns serious when he speaks of cleaning up "the gore...you know what the gore is, don't you?"  

And talks about his deep faith.  It's a beautiful speech.  The moment reminds me a bit of the scene in 1776 where the soldier/messenger from the front sings, "Momma, Look Sharp".

Edited by voiceover
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Thanks for this, but I was wondering, specifically, what the initials "M" and "k" and the numbers "1" and "2" stood for.  

I remember extremely detesting Abby Lockhart.

I don't think I would have hated Abby so much if the writers didn't revolve the show and Carter around her.  

I also hate the fact that they had Luka and Carter in a pissing contest over her instead of building a friendship between them. Wasted opportunities there.

• Love 2

I wonder which version of "Ambush" is used, since it was originally live on both coasts with different errors, etc. Unless the best scenes from both were taken and spliced together, etc.

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I wonder which version of "Ambush" is used, since it was originally live on both coasts with different errors, etc. Unless the best scenes from both were taken and spliced together, etc.

Actually I think I read that at the time! Makes sense.

p.s.: Did you just change your avi? It's cute!

POP's showing Season 1 on Tue., early evenings (might be other evenings too).  Thought today (morning: Reese Benton in the NICU, tonight: Chloe smoking while preggers) that it always griped me that little Suzie had no apparent ill effects from her smokin' & drinkin' in utero.  But Carla, due to SL-induced-diabetes, was made to suffer.

Boo.

Ya know, someone mentioned earlier they thought Shep was coming up, and I said he was already done....I didn't realize they were showing different seasons at different times. I've just been watching the M-F eps in the early afternoon. My bad!

My favorite part of Ambush was with Carter (no surprise, ha) and the man from the nursing home.  After Carter saved him the first time and the guy was talking about how he was providing a "stud service" to the ladies at the home, Noah Wyle's laughter seemed so spontaneous and genuine that it either was ad lib or amazing acting.  And of course when he dies it breaks my heart for Carter, esp when Mark yells at him.  And then offers himself up so the crew won't share Carter's loss.

just finished the episodes where Mark gets beat up. My younger son (11) was in the room and telling me he likes this ER show; I knew the beating was about to happen and told him "this is hard to watch". He responded with "how did you know that was going to happen??!!" and I had to explain I've seen these before. :)

Anyway, that was hard to watch. I looked away.

I'm glad baby Reese is here because Carla was hard to take. I get she was pregnant but still; overkill. It did crack me up when she was in labor and Peter could not stop being Peter and snapped at her about the breathing. I just love Peter. His character is so consistent.

57 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

just finished the episodes where Mark gets beat up. My younger son (11) was in the room and telling me he likes this ER show; I knew the beating was about to happen and told him "this is hard to watch". He responded with "how did you know that was going to happen??!!" and I had to explain I've seen these before. :)

Anyway, that was hard to watch. I looked away.

I'm glad baby Reese is here because Carla was hard to take. I get she was pregnant but still; overkill. It did crack me up when she was in labor and Peter could not stop being Peter and snapped at her about the breathing. I just love Peter. His character is so consistent.

I had to look away, too. Poor Mark. They put him through the ringer. 

Re: Peter, I think his consistent character is what makes certain scenes of his so effective. He's so stern and no nonsense, without a shred of sentimentality, so on the rare occasions he lets his guard down it's really great to watch. 

• Love 3

Oh god, it's Cynthia.

Well, the good thing about Pop airing three episodes a day is that she'll be gone soon.  But this is going to be a long week.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

My favorite part of Ambush was with Carter (no surprise, ha) and the man from the nursing home.  After Carter saved him the first time and the guy was talking about how he was providing a "stud service" to the ladies at the home, Noah Wyle's laughter seemed so spontaneous and genuine that it either was ad lib or amazing acting.  And of course when he dies it breaks my heart for Carter, esp when Mark yells at him.  And then offers himself up so the crew won't share Carter's loss.

I tried to respond to this earlier but I don't see it showing up. Anyway, I looked for the scene you described and you're right, Noah Wyle (and everybody else in the scene) seemed to be laughing for real. Awesome. 

Anyone else notice a young Nick Offerman from Parks and Recreation in the live episode? That was fun to spot. 

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh god, it's Cynthia.

Well, the good thing about Pop airing three episodes a day is that she'll be gone soon.  But this is going to be a long week.

I remembered Cynthia but had forgotten she was played by Mariska Hargitay. 

2 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I remembered Cynthia but had forgotten she was played by Mariska Hargitay. 

I almost didn't watch Law & Order: SVU when it premiered because I associated her with Cynthia.  I may very well be remembering this wrong, but I think Hargitay said in an interview once that Cynthia was annoying or something like that.

At least now I have Romano - a character I love to hate - to balance things out. 

I have zero interest in Mark's life crisis; I haven't since it started, and really don't as it progresses.  I'm not intrigued, I don't feel sorry for him, I just think he's being an asshole.  I think the road trip episode annoyed me, but we'll see.

Daddy Peter is amusing me, though, from holding the crying baby in the bedroom doorway and talking loudly in the hopes Carla will get up and handle things to reading Reese to sleep by explaining how to form a J-pouch.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the road trip episode because of Clooney, and because of Doug telling Mark off. I never did like Mark and all of this trauma/drama didn't help matters. 

And Cynthia WAS annoying.

• Love 5
On 5/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I just love Peter. His character is so consistent.

Until an episode today when he had a huge stack of charts that he needed to dictate reports on.  He was holding the microphone up to his mouth, thinking of what he wanted to say, and he started to sing.  Caught himself and stopped, then did it again with a big ole smile.  So not Peter, but oh so cute.

On 5/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, Bastet said:

Oh god, it's Cynthia.

What's wrong with Cynthia?  I don't remember her from the first time around.  

I love Doug Ross and John Carter.  Marigold.  Tee Hee

14 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

What's wrong with Cynthia?  I don't remember her from the first time around.  

She is a needy, weepy, clingy, incompetent mess of an idiot who Mark hires over everyone's objections and then starts sleeping with.

• Love 3

Thanks Bastet.  I really don't find her that annoying, but that's just me.

I'm still wondering, specifically, what the initials "M" and "k" and the numbers "1" and "2" stood for when referring to the two Abbeys.  Can the OP explain this please & thank you.

Enjoyed today's road trip with Doug & Mark.  Clooney is such a natural.  Someone mentioned Noah laughing so naturally at the stud service guy.  I agree.  I've noticed him at other times being so animated and real that it was a true joy to watch.

Thank you, POP (which I had never heard of before) for airing "ER".  When it's over, I hope you re-run it for us.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Thanks Bastet.  I really don't find her that annoying, but that's just me.

I'm still wondering, specifically, what the initials "M" and "k" and the numbers "1" and "2" stood for when referring to the two Abbeys.  Can the OP explain this please & thank you.

I'm not the original poster but I think mk is short for mark, which can mean a version or a variant. So Abby Keaton was Abby version 1 and Abby Lockhart was Abby version 2. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Enjoyed today's road trip with Doug & Mark.  Clooney is such a natural.  Someone mentioned Noah laughing so naturally at the stud service guy.  I agree.  I've noticed him at other times being so animated and real that it was a true joy to watch.

Thank you, POP (which I had never heard of before) for airing "ER".  When it's over, I hope you re-run it for us.

Yes.  Even though I wearied of the "outside" eps, their trip to CA was terrific.  I got weepy when Doug said, "I love you!" to Carol, and then again when she showed up at the end of the ep.  Truly, one of the great TV romances.  They should've sent them off into the sunset when Clooney left, instead of manufacturing all the separation bs, but at least the producers came through at the end.

I did enjoy Peter singing into his mike, and studying w/Reese.  Put me in mind of another bullshit plot development all those years later about Reese's parentage!!  Eriq LaSalle had gone on record about needing to show an A-A couple in a positive relationship (one of the reasons he bailed on Kingston), then later on consents to an SL that makes Carla monstrous...

And Carter's laughter at the "stud service" line was so adorable.  

I confess: I have abandoned all other activity to immerse myself in this show.  And I don't even care!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, voiceover said:

Yes.  Even though I wearied of the "outside" eps, their trip to CA was terrific.  I got weepy when Doug said, "I love you!" to Carol, and then again when she showed up at the end of the ep.  Truly, one of the great TV romances.  They should've sent them off into the sunset when Clooney left, instead of manufacturing all the separation bs, but at least the producers came through at the end.

Oh, I hated all of the road trip episodes. They were just jarring, and completely predicated on the viewer being happy to just watch one or two characters gazing into their own navels for an entire episode. One of the key strengths of the show was always that it was an ensemble, so removing that (along with the other key strength of, y'know, the hospital) felt like a misstep, every time they did it. 

I remember the Benton one as the only episode of E.R. I just turned off. As soon as it became clear it was all Benton, all the time, I wasn't interested. He only worked as a character when bouncing off other, less dickish people. By himself, he was intolerable. At least the other roadtrips were smart enough to include at least two characters.

The Doug and Mark trip to California introduced the tedious storyline of Mark's father, which came back to haunt the show for a long while. But it did get rid of Cynthia, so that's a mark in its favour.

Then there was that one where Abby and Carter go to find Sally Field. Forty minutes of Carter trying to be cute and supportive in the hopes that the self-absorbed woman who never looks past the end of her own nose will notice, at the most inopportune time ever. Man, the writers really did a number on Carter, over the years.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, voiceover said:

I confess: I have abandoned all other activity to immerse myself in this show.  And I don't even care!

Me too! I am even having dreams about the characters! I'm really enjoying watching again. Although the only downside of the three a day episodes is you lose a sense of the dramatic arc of the show and how much time passes. But it's better than not getting to watch at all. 

I just love Doug and Carol's scenes during this season. On a shallow note George really was at his peak of sexiness here, I think. *Swoon!* And he was so busy! A quick check of IMDB shows him doing a lot of movies during that time, and all while still appearing on ER. His career really was skyrocketing. 

Saw a younger, thinner Roy from the Office on an episode I watched yesterday. He thought he was an angel. 

• Love 2

I, too, have had ER dreams.

I also never liked the road trip episodes. I was not a big fan of the Mark/dad story line, though I think towards the end of it, there are some nice moments (and I recall getting a kick out of an episode where Rachel gets her period and grandpa has to go by her pads).

One thing about Clooney that has popped out to me in watching this is his laugh. He has this adorable giggle/semi-repressed laugh he does which adds to the sexy. 

• Love 4

Add me to the immersed, dreaming about these characters.  I think it is because we're getting 3 episodes a day that they're so prevalent in our thoughts.  Like just now Carol was walking toward the hospital and Mark joins her, both happily chatting, and I was like, "Whew, there's my peeps."

Luckily, since I haven't seen "ER" since it originally aired, I have no idea what's coming next in almost all situations.  I remember a few, like Romano and the helicopter ... hahaha.  So it's mostly all like new again!

Am liking Kingston, so far, more than I originally remember.

Mark and his dad's storyline was a little depressing but there was some nice acting there. 

When you stop to think about it Mark had so many awful things happen to him during his run on the show. Divorce, Susan moving away, getting sued (twice!), losing his mom and dad, the assault, his baby almost overdosing on drugs, the brain tumor, and worst of all the tumor returning. Sheesh! 

• Love 4
(edited)
40 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Am liking Kingston, so far, more than I originally remember.

Actually I remember always loving her; that's why I was so disappointed in her Doctor Who character (though much of that had to do with squicking out over the pairing w/Matt Smith).

Aughhh, Benton & his fucking arrogance strikes again! Possibly if he'd let Elizabeth ask for the release, Rodney's dad would have listened to Peter.  The trouble was, he thought he was above letting the personal drip into the professional -- yet he proved time & again, starting w/Carla's pregnancy, that the opposite was true.

And I'm afraid I sided with Romano on the "We're scientists, Peter!" -- wasn't that the sort of line he always banged Carter with?  

Unsurprising that Corday got consent when the father calmed down.  Grey's was guilty of this too: jumping in right after a patient died to ask for consent for autopsies, organs, etc.  Man, give it a few.

Such a nice moment between Elizabeth & Carol!  That was a relationship worth pursuing.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 2
(edited)

Anspaugh can go screw himself, but I'm not real impressed with Jeannie, either.  If she thinks Anspaugh decided a PA position was the one that needed to be eliminated, knowing it would be Jeannie because she has the least seniority, and thus it was all a pretext, fine.  But she knows damn well Kerry made the only decision she could fairly make once she was ordered to lay off a PA, not a discriminatory decision based on Jeannie's HIV status, has in fact previously fought against those who tried to discriminate against her, and then networked to help her land a job in Atlanta.  Yet when it was all over and she got her job back, she couldn't even manage to acknowledge that between the two of them?

I do find it hard to swallow someone as savvy as Kerry didn't raise the issue with Anspaugh and Legal once she was told to eliminate a PA position, though -- hey, the PA with lowest seniority is Jeannie Boulet, so we'll be laying off the only ER employee we know to be HIV positive; help me make sure all ducks are in a row.

And Kerry can miss me for deciding that because she can manage her chronic pain without drugs, everyone else should, too.

But Jeannie owed her some personal courtesy in the midst of standing up for herself professionally.

Shifting gears, between Captain Hadley from The Shawshank Redemption and the wife killer in that TV movie with Moira Kelly and Sheryl Lee, I cannot see Clancy Brown in anything without expecting him to be evil.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Mark and his dad's storyline was a little depressing but there was some nice acting there. 

When you stop to think about it Mark had so many awful things happen to him during his run on the show. Divorce, Susan moving away, getting sued (twice!), losing his mom and dad, the assault, his baby almost overdosing on drugs, the brain tumor, and worst of all the tumor returning. Sheesh! 

the stuff piling on Mark didn't hit me when I first watched the show but with 3 episodes a day, it's very clear! Poor Mark!

23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Anspaugh can go screw himself, but I'm not real impressed with Jeannie, either.  If she thinks Anspaugh decided a PA position was the one that needed to be eliminated, knowing it would be Jeannie because she has the least seniority, and thus it was all a pretext, fine.  But she knows damn well Kerry made the only decision she could fairly make once she was ordered to lay off a PA, not a discriminatory decision based on Jeannie's HIV status, has in fact previously fought against those who tried to discriminate against her, and then networked to help her land a job in Atlanta.  Yet when it was all over and she got her job back, she couldn't even manage to acknowledge that between the two of them?

. . . .

But Jeannie owed her some personal courtesy in the midst of standing up for herself professionally.

I have not gotten to this episode yet but this is what I remember where Jeannie annoyed the heck out of me. I'm not Kerry fan, but you know she stuck up for you so show some loyalty/be willing to assume some good faith on Kerry's part. Has anyone seen the Jeannie actress in other parts? Jeannie can be so cold and part of me wonders "is this actress just stiff or is this actress doing this great job of creating this character that has this atypical reserve?"

Kind of like I'm now giving tons of credit to the annoyingness that is Cynthia--having seen what the actress does on SVU, I'm stunned it's the same person playing those parts.

10 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Has anyone seen the Jeannie actress in other parts? Jeannie can be so cold and part of me wonders "is this actress just stiff or is this actress doing this great job of creating this character that has this atypical reserve?"

I've met Gloria Reuben (backstage before a concert, when she was on tour with Tina Turner) and she has a very calm energy.

She's been in Law & Order: SVU, in two different roles.  (Plenty of other things, too, but I think that's the only thing I've seen her in other than ER.)

• Love 1

POP is apparently available now through Hulu's new cable/satellite replacement Hulu Live TV.

We currently use the streaming DirecTV Now for our cord-cutting needs, and some of the lineup is different, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

Man, another reminder!  Early er did a great job with Christmas eps.  Peter with his "magic touch",  Elizabeth punting her return to England to see to her patient (loved her moment in the ICU when the girl woke up), Doug's proposal...niiiiiiiice.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I've met Gloria Reuben (backstage before a concert, when she was on tour with Tina Turner) and she has a very calm energy.

I've met her, too, and not only does she have a calm energy, but she's even prettier in person.

I just watched the episode where Mark is attacked and it was as brutal as I remembered.  It's also during a time when they were trying to make Benton a bit more human, but it just doesn't work for me. He's too arrogant and I simply don't like him. As annoying as Carla can be, I understand her frustration with him in the early days of her pregnancy.  The only time I ever really liked him (that I can remember) is when he came barreling down the stairs to tend to Carter after the stabbing.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

The only time I ever really liked him (that I can remember) is when he came barreling down the stairs to tend to Carter after the stabbing.

I thought his learning process and eventual acceptance of his son's deafness helped a lot.  He started out thinking Reese was broken and needed to be fixed, and through his interactions with the deaf doctor (who ended up bringing her own granddaughter to him for surgery because she's come to like and trust him), realizing that Reese could have a great life with hearing aids and ASL.  I always thought he was a really great dad.  It didn't hurt that Reese was adorable.  That kid even made Michael Michele perk up when they had scenes together.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, starri said:

I thought his learning process and eventual acceptance of his son's deafness helped a lot.

Ah.  Ok, I don't remember that.  There are only a few things from the series (that I stopped watching not long after Linda Cardellini joined the show) that I remember and I'd forgotten all about Reese being deaf.  Maybe I'll come around on Benton after seeing the whole thing play out.

(edited)

There are some things I remember clearly too, and some that are a total surprise, even though I saw it originally.  I distinctly remember Henry's allergic reaction to the latex gloves, for instance, Carter finding his cousin Chase shooting up in the back of the limo and Reese being deaf (and Benton's subsequently learning sign language).  But it's as though I'd never seen the little boy bleed to death (a horrifying scene) or the blind/not blind/blind guy.

Not liking Jennie Boulet these days.  She's pretty and the acting is good, but I don't like what her character did to get her job back.

And forgive me, but I just can't see Kerry in bed with Clancy Brown's character, whose name I can't recall.  I can't figure out what he's doing at the hospital.  Can someone explain please?

Does Carter ever call Benton just plain Peter?

Oh, this is funny.  Earlier when I was reading this thread I got an alert that the guy being considered for Army secretary, who withdrew his name from consideration, is named Mark Green.  Caught me off guard there for a second.

Edited by slasherboy
Why not?
4 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

And forgive me, but I just can't see Kerry in bed with Clancy Brown's character, whose name I can't recall.  I can't figure out what he's doing at the hospital.  Can someone explain please?

He's a representative of a managed-care company that was looking to either....maybe it was buy the hospital, maybe it was just to take over running it from the county, I don't quite remember.  IIRC, Michael Ironside pops up working for that company now, kind of randomly.

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The only time I ever really liked [Benton] (that I can remember) is when he came barreling down the stairs to tend to Carter after the stabbing.

I've been searching for that moment on YT & only finding soundtracks to fanvids.  Anyone got a link?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, slasherboy said:

There are some things I remember clearly too, and some that are a total surprise, even though I saw it originally.  I distinctly remember Henry's allergic reaction to the latex gloves, for instance, Carter finding his cousin Chase shooting up in the back of the limo and Reese being deaf (and Benton's subsequently learning sign language).  But it's as though I'd never seen the little boy bleed to death (a horrifying scene) or the blind/not blind/blind guy.

Not liking Jennie Boulet these days.  She's pretty and the acting is good, but I don't like what her character did to get her job back.

Does Carter ever call Benton just plain Peter?

Oh, this is funny.  Earlier when I was reading this thread I got an alert that the guy being considered for Army secretary, who withdrew his name from consideration, is named Mark Green.  Caught me off guard there for a second.

Kerry didn't bother me with West the first time. Now as a rewatch it bugs because we find out later she is gay, lol. 

I remember Carter calling Benton "Peter" when he tracks him down in the park (Peter is running) to thank him for being his mentor and to give him back the El token he gave Carter when he was a first year, in case Benton ever wants to come back to County.  At the end he says, "Peter! I'm a good doctor because of you." and asshat....I mean Benton....smirks, "No you're not, but keep trying." 

And yes to the Mark Green! When I read that on twitter I replied, "Well, he's never been the same since that beating in County's bathroom" but either no one got it or no one thought it was funny.  :)

13 hours ago, voiceover said:

I've been searching for that moment on YT & only finding soundtracks to fanvids.  Anyone got a link?

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETc4YhjQBkw

7:13