Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Episode Seven

I don't think Lily James's leaving has anything to do with Cinderella. The movie comes out next month, I think, and they wrapped S5 in August. She would have already completed filming Cinderella by then.

No, it's not because of the filming.

It's because of the huge Promo-tour all around the world that they're doing right now, as series 6 started filming last week. It's not even a spoiler, because it was officially announced very early when they filmed series 5 that Rose would be leaving the show due to her contract with Cinderella. Sophie McShera obviously is not part of the whole tour. She will probably only attend events in England. Lily was in Germany this last week and she is now in Russia. I think the PR tour will end at the end of March. They're into filming Episode 3 and 4 then.

It's not sure of course that she will stay away completely. Since she won't live at the Abbey as a married Lady, she can return for big events. The CS for example! Although she also took on the main role in a new "war and peace" adaption done by the BBC and I think they will be filming in the summer. So that could intervene, too. But I'm sure we'll hear of Rose one way or another. I'm just mad it was so rushed.

Edited by Andorra

I thought Daryl (heh) was even worse than Larry. Larry was the big showy asshole, but it was heartbreaking when Isobel looked to Daryl as if for a little support and he said, "well, how did you expect us to feel?" showing he was totally on board with his brother's opinion.

• Love 2
How can one not love Ratticus?
(raises hand) I don't *dislike* them, mind.  I just find them boring.  Really don't care.

But they're so twinkly!

Yes, Sarah would cold-cock Larry in seconds. Then Daryl (heee!) would jump in and get thumped as well. 

Too funny that Larry had to sit in the car fuming, waiting for daddy and brother to finish dinner or, um, conclude the fight he started. How I wish Lord M had told them both to hitchhike home.

• Love 1

(raises hand) I don't *dislike* them, mind.  I just find them boring.  Really don't care.

Becuase the show has been so focused on Mary's Two Years and Counting Quest To Find Mr. Perfect 2.0 and Edith's Endless Display of Unbearable Sadness, there's really been little to no focus on Rose, whose relationship to the Crawleys always seemed poorly defined. (She's a cousin/niece of someone? I mean, I totally get she's Sybil 2.0)

So no one cares because really.... she's literally just filler.

• Love 3

I doubt sincerely any of that would have happened.  Gregson left England willingly with the avowed intention to become a German citizen.  If anything most people would have said "good riddance" and forgot about him.

We know there were investigations into his disappearance; Robert referenced them. Moreover, he still owned a publishing concern in London and his business would have wanted to find him. Gregson most definitely intended to return to London to live and work once he got his divorce, German or not. It was his livelihood. And the cover story for his trip was that he was a tourist. The only person who knew his intentions was Edith.

It is impossible that all this could have gone on, plus an obit and probating his will, without referencing that he had a wife.

• Love 3

Co-sign.  *Snooze*

I could barely tell the difference between Atticus, his brother Larry and his other brother Daryl either.    

On another note, Mary's snarky, catty comments towards Edith last night were making LOL.  

And I'm still waiting for Gregson's wife to bust out of the institution... gunning for Edith.  Hee.

Edited by jnymph

It is impossible that all this could have gone on, plus an obit and probating his will, without referencing that he had a wife.

I know! And I'm really going to be annoyed if said wife is not mentioned by the end of the next episode. Perhaps Mrs. Drewe can then make a complaint to HER.

I'm sure the wife will never be mentioned again. She's locked away, Gregson no doubt has made his financial arrangements for her and there's no internet or online database where someone will be able to find out. Where no one suspects, no one will look IMO. No one of the family knew he was married and the lawer who read the will to Edith probably didn't mention her either, because it didn't concern her.

So I think the secret will be safe and Mrs Gregson will never appear even in a side sentence.

Evelyn, Tony, Charles, Larry, Daryl...they all look alike...and talk alike. I stay confused about them.

If I'm not very mistaken, Merton's younger son is actually "Tim Grey", not Daryl.

A character on an old Bob Newhart show was named Larry, and he had two brothers, both named Daryl.  He would introduce himself saying, "Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl."  You had to be there. It actually was pretty funny.  They were lumberjack sorts in Vermont.

Jinx, ispansy!

• Love 4

I cannot really fault Mary for thinking that Violet was miffed at Isobel's new, elevated status as Lady Merton. A number of us thought the same, and IMO the early writing/acting choices left it as a reasonable supposition. Looking back after this episode, yes, it's possible to see Violet's actions that seemed intended to thrust a spur into the Isobel/Merton romance as attempts to keep her as a friend. But the other seemed equally likely.

Can't get a read on Blake/Mary. She seems interested, and he seems to blow hot and cold. It's really, really hard for me to imagine him going to all this trouble to detach Gillingham if he has no more personal interest. 

Tom and Mary? Just no. They are so much like brother and sister, it would be really icky. Plus, I can't really see Mary being happy with Tom, whom I find terribly dull.

This plan of Cora's for Marigold seems just insane. Yeah, let's bring her back to the same place where her former family lives, where the woman who took her in as a loved child is still living and still distraught. It shows no consideration for the Drewes, could be very confusing or upsetting for Marigold, and is basically just doomed to fail. The truth is bound to come out in the worst way. Plus, it's wrong IMO to fake a relationship with your child. (Yes, I know it's often been done, but it seems like there would be many negative consequences.) If Edith wants to be with Marigold, she has to own up - at least to her whole family. My mind boggles at having Marigold the orphan child sharing a nursery with the Crawley kids. It's just not fair, it puts her in a terrible position. Edith's best course IMO is to own up to her father and her sister, then go to America. She can sell the magazine, or appoint someone to manage it for her. It seems to me, Edith wants to have her cake and eat it too. She is undoubtedly in a very difficult spot, but she has to sacrifice something - better the magazine IMO than her true relationship with her daughter - and her family.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 4

I know it's a soap opera, but even so, the ahistorical stuff is annoying. The lack of attitude to homosexuality was weird, the lack of any whiff of antisemitism is weirder. at least it's acknowledged as an issue.

I don't think Atticus' Dad is "bad" for wanting his son to marry within the faith, though. To me that's not snobbery but simply cultural and religious heritage. Rose's mom, on the other hand, will no doubt be motivated entirely by snobbery. Will Rose take a leaf from Charlotte in Sex and the City and convert? Either way, I'd like to see true love prevail. And while it would be an interesting plot to have someone marry in haste and discover said someone is impotent/gay (wait, Charlotte had the impotency plot, too), I really hope Fellowes doesn't do that tot he only openly Jewish character in the series to date.

Is Rose going to tell Atticus she's not a virgin? It was a huge deal for Mary... and we know she was having it off with a married man, so...

I want to see Violet run off with her prince.

Anyone listen to Slate Spoiler specials? They think Blake is doing a long con too, onlt it's to get Mary.

I thought her haircut was nice last week but this week I officially find it fugly.

We know there were investigations into his disappearance; Robert referenced them. Moreover, he still owned a publishing concern in London and his business would have wanted to find him. Gregson most definitely intended to return to London to live and work once he got his divorce, German or not. It was his livelihood. And the cover story for his trip was that he was a tourist. The only person who knew his intentions was Edith.

Now you're talking common sense. 

Anna and Bates really are terrible assholes. Their treatment of Baxter reminded me of Anna giving Mrs. Hughes and O'Brien the stinkeye when they gave unflattering testimony at Bates' first murder trial. Instead of expecting your coworkers to lie to the police or under oath, Maybe Bates could stop being so murderous and shifty. I don't know why Baxter should even think about sharing her criminal history with them, she shouldn't be expected to lie to the police under any circumstances.

I liked Bates at the very beginning of the series, but ever since the Vera subplot, he's been sinister and sulky. A totally unappealing character. Why Anna stays with him, I'll never know. Now he's bringing her down to his level.

Does the show actually think people are on board with these two?

• Love 2

I cannot really fault Mary for thinking that Violet was miffed at Isobel's new, elevated status as Lady Merton. A number of us thought the same, and IMO the early writing/acting choices left it as a reasonable supposition.

Is Rose going to tell Atticus she's not a virgin? It was a huge deal for Mary... and we know she was having it off with a married man, so...

I believe Rose is a virgin. When introduced, she was going out with a married man and seemed quite fast, but in those days it wouldn't didn't necessarily mean she was giving up the goods, especially if she had only been out with him a few times. She ran around with him to clubs and such, but probably he never got beyond some "heavy petting". The thrill was in the chase.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2
Is Rose going to tell Atticus she's not a virgin?

Do we know that she isn't? (Honest question. While some story lines seem to drag on for years (MURDEROUS BATESY), there are other things that seem to fly by and I have zero recollection of this!)

I loved this episode, though found the ending to the Tony-Mabel-Mary unholy triumvirate rather abrupt. I swear, Fellowes should swing by this board sometime for story ideas...some of the things that have been cooked up here are spectacular!

• Love 2

Does the show actually think people are on board with these two?

If you count the amoung of fanfiction written for them, they're still enough people who are on board with them. They only the third favourite couple after Mary/Matthew and Sybil/Tom. Even if you count that the former pairings are over now, since one of them is dead, Anna/Bates still seems to have a strong fanbase.

Not me obviously, LOL. I find them insufferable.

BTW JF says in the scriptbook to series 3 that he left it deliberately open if Rose sleeps with the married man or not. We can draw our own conclusions.

Edited by Andorra
I want to see Violet run off with her prince.

But as she sagely pointed out, there's no one to run away from anymore! If his wife is alive, he could divorce her, but that would be just awful and would Violet really want that? Would she leave the Princess in the gutter and move the Prince into the Dower house? Talk about scandal!

Please file me under "sick of Anna and Bates, the Angelic Couple." For the love of Isis, dear show, quit turning these two into the Victim Couple.  Either write them into a happily-ever-after world and say goodbye, or have one of them actually murder someone. Not someone who deserves it either (you're safe, cousin Larry).  And definitely not Edith's next suitor because that's just too fucking easy.  

Upthread a ways, someone referenced a salesman upsetting "Carlton" quite a bit.  Another golden oldie show!  "Uhhhhh, this is Carlton, your doorman...."  From Rhoda, right?  Hadn't thought about that in years and years!  First Larry and his brothers Daryl, now Carlton the Doorman.  My day is made. 

• Love 9

If you can re-watch, be sure to check out the scene where Moseley is downstairs gossiping about what Tom called Larry. When Mr. Carson comes in and interrupts them, be sure to listen for Moseley's girlish giggle! Someone with skills really must make a gif of it.

Also, "golly!" is now my exclamation of choice. 

I thought that it was understood Rose was having sex when she went to the married man's house and stayed inside for hours and hours.
I suppose they could be retrofitting it though.

Oops, forgot all about that. Well, she still could have been only having dinner and kissing/fondling... but I think a character retrofit is more likely, since they didn't do that certain surgery back then, far as I know. 

If it doesn't matter to modern young men like Atticus, then Mary and Edith really were born 10 years too soon.

Edited by RedHawk

Yes, I want the next murder to be clearly attributable to Mr. Bates in the library with a carving knife.

I don't even mind if he kills Anna, anything to break up this annoying marriage.

Fellowes is a Bates fanboy. I doubt he would let Bates be a killer. More likely is, Bates dies in S6 protecting Robert, Anna, or even Thomas.

And yes, I know that I may be the last person who still likes Bates.

• Love 1

Who made Larry (and his brother, ok, Tim) the big authorities on what makes a happy marriage? Seems like the word was out all over England that Dickie Merton and his wife were incompatible at best. Violet quipped that he was relieved to be rid of her. Lord M had no trouble throwing her under the bus and making it seem like his sons' terrible behavior was all due to her genes, example, and influence. I know, they're snobs and the point wasn't really the "happiness" of the marriage, just their embarrassment over having a middle-class woman for a stepmother. The truth is probably that many people in the social circles the Mertons would move in would also look down on her (not being as enlightened as the Grantham clan), though they'd not be quite so rude to her face.

Also, Lord Merton mentioned having to apologize for Larry's "rudeness" the last time he had dined at the Abbey. Rudeness sure underplays what could have been seen as a criminal act. 

The Merton/Grey men are ALL a bad lot and Violet was right to begin with, Isobel won't be happy with him once the newness of his infatuation fades and his rheumatiz starts acting up.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 1
And yes, I know that I may be the last person who still likes Bates.

I still like him.....and so does Anna, of course.  They really are sweet together.  Just blame Fellowes for writing this ridiculous Greene murder plot.

• Love 2

I still like him.....and so does Anna, of course.  They really are sweet together.  Just blame Fellowes for writing this ridiculous Greene murder plot.

Yep, the Green thing was both a gratuitous storyline ("Let's see, which character could we harm the most? Thinking, thinking..Got it!") and one that drags on and on and on and ON. Man's been dead for a full season. Let the case die with him. Seems like Fellowes is just on "set it and forget it mode" with this.

• Love 1

Table for two.  A totally vacuous filler. I have no idea what purpose she's supposed to serve.

I think the Rose / Atticus is to bring focus to what is happening in Germany. We needed a Jewish character. Gregson being murdered by brown shirts wasn't enough.

I thought Rose was a virgin. She acts like one.

I still like Bates, but can't fathom what he sees in Anna.

When Mr. Carson comes in and interrupts them, be sure to listen for Moseley's girlish giggle!

That was the best moment of the episode for me, followed by his disavowal: Carson: "Mr. Molesley, why are you down here? No You're not gossiping, I hope?" "Oh no, no, Mr. Carson!"  *cute head wiggle* So unlike what we usually see from him, and adorable. 

• Love 1

Because Mary is a character I love to hate, I loved it when Violet pointed out to her that she regrets Isobel getting married  for more than just Isobel's rise in status. Loving someone platonically seems to be a thing Mary can't conceive of.

I didn't understand why no one told Lord Merton's sons that they were behaving like petulant children at the dinner table.  My great-aunt would have torn strips off of them for their rudeness.  I would have expected Violet to, but I guess she has her reasons for keeping quiet, namely wanting Isobel to stay.

A person who is living a nightmare of having her daughter be taken from her and desperately trying to protect her family

To my mind, that would be Edith, not Mrs. Drewe.

It's interesting how differently people perceive the story.  To me, it's about Edith desperately trying to keep her child in the face of society and her family. (and JF's plot contrivances).   She even sleeps with Marigold's picture under her pillow. How desperate/loving is that?

Ironically, if she hadn't been of the upper class but a middle-class typist, I think she could have kept Marigold and hired someone to babysit while she was at work.  It was her station that called attention to her.

See also leaving Marigold with a strange new babysitter in a hotel.

At least she was leaving her with an adult,.  Realistically, when Mrs. Drewe had to go off to do something on the farm, she would either have left Marigold alone or with one of the other children looking after her.

It's a big early to have been able to hire a good nanny yet. They've been gone barely a day. Even Mary commented how quickly Edith had returned to Downton Abbey.

I didn't see it as riduculous at all.  She obviously knew there was something very wrong with what was going on with Marigold and Edith, and she was most certainly correct.  She just didn't know exactly what was the problem.  And, in the end, Mrs. Drewe was 100% right.  Edith did come back and carry off Marigold.

The reason Mrs. Drewe lost Marigold was because she forbade Edith to come around. If she hadn't, and if the news of Gregson's death hadn't shown Edith there was no way she could be happy at Downton Abbey, she would still have Marigold in her family.

You know what I find hard to believe?  That Mrs. Drewe had the power to make Lady Edith (the aristocrat) stop coming around.  Given the difference in their stations, it took gall to tell one of The Family to stay away.  I think it only worked because Edith as kind and already so put-upon. I'd like to have seen her try that with Mary.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 9
I thought Rose was a virgin. She acts like one.

Season 5 Rose probably is, but I don't think season 4 Rose was. 

I thought that it was understood Rose was having sex when she went to the married man's house and stayed inside for hours and hours.

I suppose they could be retrofitting it though.

Season 5 Rose would have been looking at his china.

Really, the only thing current Rose and early Rose have in common is a certain ditzy quality and hatred of her mother. Otherwise, her characterization smoothed out and became bland.

Edited by moonb
  • Love 4

Season 5 Rose probably is, but I don't think season 4 Rose was. 

Really, the only thing current Rose and early Rose really have in common is a certain ditzy quality and hatred of her mother. Otherwise, her characterization really smoothed out and became bland.

How long has she been at Downton?  Has it been 2 years since the purloined letter caper?  If so, I imagine 2 years with that family would dim even the livest wire.

Even so, I find Rose to be more sparkly and fun compared to the others.

• Love 1
Anyone listen to Slate Spoiler specials? They think Blake is doing a long con too, onlt it's to get Mary.

Golly!  You mean Charles could be playing hard to get?  That's hilarious.  But it just might work. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Loving someone platonically seems to be a thing Mary can't conceive of.

Except that we know she loves Tom and that is certainly platonic (for now at least-God only knows that JF will decide to write next)

• Love 2

Nce use of "Golly!" Izabella. These podcasts are a hoot. The woman, June Thomas, is from Northern England, and she calls her co-host Seth Stevenson Shrimpy.

funniest quote of the evening.

Yes, she was first imagined as a wild and crazy flapper (and some of them did have sex! it's known!) and then reimagined as a blushing English Rose.

Oof. Did not even mean to make that bit of wordplay.

I must say I loved the moment when she and Atticus joined hands, and her running down the stairs calling "Atticus!" was cute too. "Sunny" is a rare trait at Downton. Even Sybil was kind, but not really sunny.

• Love 3

Behold, Lady Rose during her nightclub shenanigans with married men in late season 3. Whichever commenter said that Rose's storyline is essentially a starring role in a different movie each season wasn't kidding. Lady-rose-macclare-lily-james4.jpg

• Love 2
A person who is living a nightmare of having her daughter be taken from her and desperately trying to protect her family

To my mind, that would be Edith, not Mrs. Drewe.

Get out of my head, Statsgirl!  My sympathies are with Edith, who was desperate.  She gave birth to the child of the man she loved and lost.  She loved the baby, but tried to do the right thing and give her up.  I can completely understand how torn she was, and why she tried to come up with a crazy scheme to somehow keep the baby in her life.  I think the Drewe solution might have worked if only Mrs. Drewe hadn't made her feel so unwelcome EVERY TIME she tried to visit Marigold, and finally shut down the visits altogether.  What else could Edith do?  She was the one who was desperate, and when she was at her absolute lowest point, she did what she had to do to get Marigold back.  I cannot imagine having my beloved child so close by and being denied access to her, especially in the cold, rude manner of Mrs. Drewe. 

I'd like to add that Marigold is all she has left of Gregson, but I haven't completely ruled out his return.  I know they said his "remains" were found, but were they positively identified as Gregson's?

• Love 10

Becuase the show has been so focused on Mary's Two Years and Counting Quest To Find Mr. Perfect 2.0 and Edith's Endless Display of Unbearable Sadness, there's really been little to no focus on Rose, whose relationship to the Crawleys always seemed poorly defined. (She's a cousin/niece of someone? I mean, I totally get she's Sybil 2.0)

Rose's mother Susan is Violet's niece, so she'd be Violet's great-niece, and cousin to both Robert and Mary/Edith/Sybil.

I'm still flabbergasted that Cora is shaping up to be this season's character MVP. She always had her moments, but she's been rocking this season.

• Love 4

I'd like to add that Marigold is all she has left of Gregson, but I haven't completely ruled out his return. I know they said his "remains" were found, but were they positively identified as Gregson's

--

Probably leaving it open if the actor can return.

• Love 1

You know what I find hard to believe?  That Mrs. Drewe had the power to make Lady Edith (the aristocrat) stop coming around.  Given the difference in their stations, it took gall to tell one of The Family to stay away.  I think it only worked because Edith as kind and already so put-upon. I'd like to have seen her try that with Mary.

She knew she had Edith over a barrel, and if Mary had been in that same situation, it would have been the same thing. Mrs. Drewe's trump card was that she could always move the family away altogether. With Edith unwilling to openly say why she was so interested in the child, she would have had no way to stop the Drewes from leaving. 

• Love 1

I don't think it would have been so easy to move the family away.  Jobs weren't so plentiful in those days, his skills were limited, and they had a family of 6 to feed.  Moving away would have meant hardship for everyone, including her birth children.  She could have done it but I imagine Mr. Drewe would have quite a bit to say about that.

If Mary wanted something, nothing would keep her from it.  The advantage of believing yourself the queen of the world.

I don't think Mrs. Drewe was a bad woman but did she never wonder why Edith was so attached to this child who had suddenly come to them?  Why her husband was in favor of Edith visiting and hinting that she will pay for Marigold's future?   Why did she take such a dislike to Edith visiting and playing with Marigold when she had three other children who needed her attention?

In the end, Mrs. Drewe was just a plot contrivance, poor soul.

Edith could have pulled off her own idiotic con so much better. Imagine a big, impassioned speech once the family started pushing back at her announcement of keeping Marigold

I don't think that's realistic for who Edith is, a middle child who probably got by through life by not being noticed. Mary was spoiled rotten, the one they still give everything to, Sybil was spoiled because she's the baby but Edith was squished down all her life, by Mary, by her father who says incredibly cruel things to her almost every time he notices her and ran off the best chance to get married she had, and even by her mother who didn't stand up for her.  Every time she tried to get out of her shell (e.g. writing the newspaper column ) she was put down by her family.  Add to that Edith's character, which is essentially meek unlike Mary, and it takes something really awful to push her to be independent, in this case, the idea of losing both Gregson and Marigold.  And even at that, she was practically begging her father for permission to make Marigold her ward.

Sometimes I just want to go there and give Edith more of a backbone but JF is consistent, it took the loss of everything she loved to make her finally stand up for herself, even if she did it by running away.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

I loved watching the scene where Molesley, Daisy, and Baxter go to Mr. Mason's house. They all looked so happy and so pretty/handsome outside of their usual servant attire (especially as they were walking out -- they all looked really "alive" in the natural light). While I wish TPTB would leave Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson as platonic friends, I'm all for a Molesley/Baxter paring. They'll make a cute couple!

But the highlight of the show was watching Edith get upstaged by Isis. I mean, it was almost too much. My husband and I almost fell off the couch because we laughed so hard. That girl can't get a break, can she?

• Love 3

Edith has a backbone. She's a lot stronger than some give her credit. She's our teabag -- you don't know how strong she is until she's in hot water. Maybe she doesn't manage the details well, granted. But she'll get there.

RE Molesley, doesn't his father own a place in town? Or is his father also a tenant?  I think it's interesting that some of the downstairs people are becoming landowners ... real estate!  Very trendy.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

But the highlight of the show was watching Edith get upstaged by Isis. I mean, it was almost too much. My husband and I almost fell off the couch because we laughed so hard. That girl can't get a break, can she?

Aww.  I didn't think that was funny.  It made me really sad.  She really can't catch a break.  Though actually Lord Grantham's distraction may have worked in Edith's favor -- he punted on the question and delegated the decision to Cora, who of course is in on the scheme.

Now I just want to see Edith happy for a change.  I hope both she and Cora are able to enjoy doting on little Marigold and I hope their behavior sets the precedent for the rest of the family and the staff to be very kind to her.  

• Love 4
This plan of Cora's for Marigold seems just insane. Yeah, let's bring her back to the same place where her former family lives, where the woman who took her in as a loved child is still living and still distraught.

But under Cora's plan, it would be only natural for the Drewes to maintain a relationship with the child. Then Mutually Assured Destruction would keep the scheme afloat; Mrs. Drewe wouldn't talk because Edith might cut off access, and Edith wouldn't cut off access because Mrs. Drewe might talk.

My Dearest Lord Grantham

Late last week my dog awoke with a stiff neck and a slight limp. He was at the vet before noon that very day. Apparently he had just slept wrong, and with one or two mild pain relievers he was back to his old self the next day.

THAT IS HOW YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR BELOVED DOG!!! YOU DO NOT LET HER LAY AROUND FOR WEEKS AND THEN FINALLY TAKE HER TO THE VET WHEN IT'S CONVENIENT.

Sincerely,

America

I've been thinking about this, and the (imho) comment is 2015 sensibilities regarding pets. I would think that in the 1920s, it was a grand gesture to let Isis in the house. And a bigger gesture to let her pass away in the family bed. Once upon a time, animals were animals, not family members. And it wasn't all that long ago.

• Love 7