Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Episode Seven

My disappointment is that they are now (slightly) past the time when the real owner of Highclere was helping Howard Carter discover King Tut's tomb.  I wish there was a hat tip to that discovery just to tie the (real) property's owner of that time to the Downton family.

Other than that, I just hope Isis (an Egyptian goddess - ha! the irony) is just pregnant or suffering indigestion from eating her master's sock - she is a lab after all.

• Love 2

Other than that, I just hope Isis (an Egyptian goddess - ha! the irony) is just pregnant or suffering indigestion from eating her master's sock - she is a lab after all.

That made me LOL--I have a yellow lab and indeed, they will eat ANYTHING!

• Love 2

That made me LOL--I have a yellow lab and indeed, they will eat ANYTHING!

I had a yellow Lab who ate my son's entire two pounds of fund-raising chocolates (with NO ill effects), except for the Reese's peanut butter cups, which she felt were not up to her standards. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Is this the last season? Tom's leaving, Rose is getting married, Isobel is getting married, Edith is getting her daughter, Isis is dying and folks downstairs are talking about a future and all their stories are also getting tied up.  Seems final. Isn't there are separate thread for US viewers?

Things that made this my favorite episode of the season so far:

1) No one from Scotland Yard asking questions about contrived and silly "murders"

2) Mr. Mason, who should appear more often

3) Discovering that Tony really isn't madly in love with Mary, which makes me respect him more

4) Charles Blake going to Poland and leaving Mary without a suitor for one hot second

5) Pooh sticks

• Love 3

I'm feeling Conflicted... as a feminist I'm not Crazy about a Certain word. 

I used it several times to yell at Mary this episode.

Man, she's just vile and hateful.  I liked how the Dowager Countess pointed it out to her, though.

• Love 5

I am not a dog person but I actually had tears in my eyes when Cora asked Robert to lay Isis between them.

I'm feeling Conflicted... as a feminist I'm not Crazy about a Certain word.

I used it several times to yell at Mary this episode.

I C what your are saying and I agree.

I wished Tom would have popped Larry in the face.

• Love 3

So, who is running the magazine now that Edith's brief reign is over?

Maybe poor Isobel needs to marry Dr. Clarkson. He doesn't care that she is a commoner and he also doesn't have two hateful sons that she would have to contend with. Then she would still be available to be Violet's bestie.

I think Rosamond should tell Cora to suck it. Somebody had to help Edith and it sure wasn't going to be Cora.

I think only Sybil's death made me cry harder than the impending demise of Isis.

I think Tom and Mary are getting together for sure.

• Love 1

Tom and Sybbie playing Poohsticks were downright adorable, though we're chronologically several years pre-Pooh, if memory serves.

According to Wikipedia, When We Were Very Young was published in 1924.  However, Pooh was not referred to as Pooh.  He was just "Teddy Bear." Winnie-the-Pooh would not be published for another two years.

ETA: Loved Violet's line "He's a man.  Men don't have rights!"

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 4

Poor Isis.

It's entertaining what Cora can pull off when she isn't treated like a box of rocks. It's equally funny that Lord Grantham and Mary haven't picked up on the fact that maybe there's something more to this Marigold story.

Violet's wistful sadness over what she sees as the loss of a real friend - poignant and touching.

I'm a little disappointed by Gillingham's resolution. Talk about going out with a whimper after appearing as though he was ready to cause Mary some serious trouble for sex week. On the other hand, it's been over a season, so enough already. And Blake was at his most Decoy Platonic Friend tonight. Let's hope this is the end of it. 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 4

Loved:

Cora showing kindness and brainpower.

The Dowager Countess explaining her affection for Isobel and explaining that "Men have no rights."

Tom calling out Larry and Robert backing him up.

Rose and Atticus bringing some joy to the Abbey.

Every scene with Sybbie!  It was so sweet when she joined Donk in stroking Isis.  She and Tom CANNOT leave Downton just when she is becoming capable of conversation.  

Mr. Mason, the voice of reason.

Hated:

Losing our sweet Isis.  As a pet owner, I know exactly how Robert felt!  And of course he was distracted when Edith was talking about Marigold.  He was beside himself with grief.  And it didn't help that Edith was still lying to him.  He had no clue that Marigold was his grandchild.

Edith's complete lack of compassion for the Drewes.  

Larry.

The strained relationship between Mary and Edith is fascinating on so many levels.  What's really odd is that each got along with Sybil.  They have always been so busy competing with one other for status as the favored one that neither noticed that the real competition came from Sybil.  Cora always seemed so proud of Sybil's strength and beauty--she was the "American" daughter that Mary and Edith were not.  I think she was easily Cora's favorite.  And she had Robert wrapped around her little finger.  He wasn't thrilled when she married the chauffeur, but when push came to shove, he couldn't turn his back on her.  After she died, Robert mentioned that he saw something in the garden and his first thought was to share it with Sybil.  Despite her freethinking ways, I think she was the least dramatic and more restful child.  It didn't happen much on camera, but I had the sense that they spent quiet time together.

• Love 7

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time, but didn't want to stray too far off topic. But since there have been quite a few indirect and sly comments here for this episode, I'm going to ask now.  Why the remarks regarding Blake being gay? Is it something about the way he is portrayed or how the actor is acting or is the actor in fact gay? I don't get it. Not even an actual gay character in the show (Thomas) is portrayed in any way that makes him seem gay. His gayness only seems to be coming from the script when it deals with his homosexuality. So why the remarks about Blake?

Edited by kat165
My favorite scene tonight had to be when Atticus has made the revolutionary suggestion to Rose that the family might search for the missing Edith at, you know, the business she just inherited from Gregson.

Rose: How clever!

Atticus: It seems... rather obvious to me.

HA! Hear, hear. I could imagine Atticus thinking, "wow, you people are dense…".

I can’t believe it’s episode 7 and we’re still talking about the Torn Train Ticket to London™.

At this point, I care more about Isis’s well-being than I do any of the human characters.

• Love 8

So Cora is furious that Rosamond and Violet decided to keep Marigold a secret from her, but is happy to keep the secret from Robert.  Hypocrite much?  Then she agrees that the Drewe family has been used terribly and her solution is to use them again.  Now Mrs. Drewe gets to be tortured by having her daughter live close by and not have any contact.  And Edith's utter disdain for Mrs. Drewe, the woman who took in a child with no questions asked and loved her completely?  The woman whose marriage she has ruined?  Edith is dead to me.  I hope Mrs. Drewe tells everyone in the village and takes an ad out in the national papers at this point.

• Love 13

Isobel, don't back out of your engagement, having a family against you sucks but they'll get over it.

Mary. Loathing.

Why on earth would edith come back with the bringing marigols in not resolved?

I'm a little disappointed as I'd have liked to see edith stand up for herself.

Loved Cora taking Rosamund and violet down, I cannot

Stand

rosamund,

Atticus and rose are adorbs.

• Love 1

Poor Robert :'( he was just carrying Isis around the whole time like a lost little child. He was even thinking about canceling the big dinner get-together due to Isis' failing health. That solidifies Isis as his favorite daughter for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he dressed in full mourning clothes next week.

I got teary-eyed when Violet talked about Isobel. Lord Merton's sons are atrocious.

Happy for Rose and Atticus.

Baxley continues to be adorable.

Mr. Mason needs to appear more.

Nice to see Thomas being...nice.

Wanted to slap both Bates and Anna for how they were acting towards Baxter. You'd think Bates, whose been caught in sticky situations due to possibly murdering everybody, would show some sympathy and understanding.

Glad to see Gillingham and Blake leaving. What was the point of having Tony act all menacing two episodes back and then have nothin become of it?

UO: I thought Mary was quite well behaved tonight. Only the typical snobby comments were made (she's had worse moments in my opinion).

• Love 2

Cora was everything tonight. Someone finally has some sense in this Edith situation.

Tom and Robert's conversation made me teary.

So Mary and her Men end with a whimper, a season and a half too late.

Violet! Major feels.

• Love 4

Strange to think a man as nice as Lord Merton could have two such awful sons.

And he puts the blame on their mother, twice now. Hmmm... I'm thinking an easy way to get rid of him and keep the Crawley Cousins act together would be to have Lord Merton accidentally reveal that he shares his sons' class snobbishness. Maybe he really does just want Isobel for a nurse in his old age, and all the charming wooing (which I certainly fell for) was a sham.

I don't know why Larry Merton has such a high opinion of himself. He seems to be well into marriageable age and he will inherit the title. Why doesn't he have a wife? Could it be that everyone thinks he's a total jerk? If he got married maybe he could get his nose out of other people's lives.

Geez, it really is hard to tell Blake and Tony apart at times! I thought some were just exaggerating because I was able to do it many episodes ago. However, when Tony and Mabel were at the card table in Downton, chatting about how she wanted him, I thought she was talking to Charles Blake and got totally confused. I was saying to myself, "So, Mabel Lane Fox is like Mary and wants both of these guys? Lord help us!" Then we cut to Mary and Blake and it became clear. And yes, Atticus is taking on a bland similarity to them as well. 

Edited by RedHawk
And Edith's utter disdain for Mrs. Drewe, the woman who took in a child with no questions asked and loved her completely?  The woman whose marriage she has ruined?  Edith is dead to me.

Her contempt was breathtaking.  I have no words for Edith.  As quick as she was to sneer at the mention of Mrs. Drewe's name, she was just as quick to turn around and require her help again.  And this time she wants Mrs.Drewe complicit in deceiving everyone.

• Love 8
I don't know why Larry Merton has such a high opinion of himself. He seems to be well into marriageable age and he will inherit the title. Why doesn't he have a wife? Could it be that everyone thinks he's a total jerk? If he got married maybe he could get his nose out of other people's lives.

I guess we can assume Larry won't become one of Mary's new suitors now, not after insulting her dead husband's mother.

The strained relationship between Mary and Edith is fascinating on so many levels. What's really odd is that each got along with Sybil. They have always been so busy competing with one other for status as the favored one that neither noticed that the real competition came from Sybil. Cora always seemed so proud of Sybil's strength and beauty--she was the "American" daughter that Mary and Edith were not. I think she was easily Cora's favorite. And she had Robert wrapped around her little finger. He wasn't thrilled when she married the chauffeur, but when push came to shove, he couldn't turn his back on her. After she died, Robert mentioned that he saw something in the garden and his first thought was to share it with Sybil. Despite her freethinking ways, I think she was the least dramatic and more restful child. It didn't happen much on camera, but I had the sense that they spent quiet time together.

Sybil was the baby. I always got the impression Mary and Edith adored her as much as their parents did. They didn't see her as competition because they didn't see her as a peer; she was the beloved child. Mary and Edith, on the other hand, are very close in age and in constant competition with one another. I also think that Mary is completely put off by weakness, and Edith comes across as weak, so Mary won't give at all in that relationship. It's a pattern they began decades ago, and neither of them is willing to put herself in a vulnerable position to change it.

I really liked this episode. Finally things are happening.

Yes, Edith. Go to America! Just lie...that's what I've been saying!

Sybbie and Tom are delightful, and I hope Rose and Atticus stay happy.

I love how much everyone cares about Isis and enjoyed everyone, including Mary, telling off Merton's sons.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1
And this time she wants Mrs.Drewe complicit in deceiving everyone.

And let's see how that's gonna work out for her.  Sheesh, she got the kid back -- and yeah, it was crappy the way she did it -- and she's still mopey as can be.  Oy.  But making Mrs. Drewe sound like a loon just cuz she cared about Marigold?  Go, Mrs. Drewe & scream your lungs out Edith is that kid's mother.  Btw, is this yet another, even older little girl?

I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time, but didn't want to stray too far off topic. But since there have been quite a few indirect and sly comments here for this episode, I'm going to ask now.  Why the remarks regarding Blake being gay? Is it something about the way he is portrayed or how the actor is acting or is the actor in fact gay? I don't get it. Not even an actual gay character in the show (Thomas) is portrayed in any way that makes him seem gay. His gayness only seems to be coming from the script when it deals with his homosexuality. So why the remarks about Blake?

I have not seen any of these comments suggesting Charles is gay, but man, that's exactly what I thought.  First off, there's never been any heat between him & Mary in the least -- maybe cuz she's about a head taller than him.  But that kiss in the theater?  I expected him to wipe his mouth after it and go "ew" or "yuck".  And who could blame him if he did?  Anyhoo, I saw more sexual chemistry goin' on between Charles & Tony, but maybe I'm projecting -- er, a teeny bit?

Sorry, but that convo with Robert & Tom talking bout love was nuts.  What 2 men in Britain, whether in 1924 -- or ever -- has had a conversation like that?  I don't mind when it gets sappy, but that was ridiculous.

• Love 4

I think that the biggest problem with Mary is the tone of her voice.While she has so many bitchy comments, there is something about the tone of her voice that even if she says good morning, it can come off as nasty.

• Love 2

From the top:

* Cora was good, smart, and tough for roughly 85 percent of the episode. She was right with Violet, right with Edith, and right with Rosamund. This is the Cora I like, the one with a brain and a spine. And then she drooped into dopiness when Robert came back with Isis. Fellowes can't help himself. He must make Cora sound vacuous at least once every episode.

* This was a good episode for Molesley. I felt for a long time that, as much as Fellowes has tortured Edith and the Bates, he enjoyed making Molesley his favorite running gag.

* We need more cowbell from Mr. Mason. He should be on more often, and not to just be the convenient conscience/brain/cheerleader for Daisy.

* Violet had the best line of the night, to Mary, and put her in her place with regard to Edith: My dear, a lack of compassion can be as vulgar as an excess of tears.

* Branson on the bridge with Sybbie was a good scene.

* I am sure all the Bunting haters enjoyed Branson's statement about not wanting to spend his life in a bare-knuckle fight. It seemed like a nod from Fellowes about how incredibly ghastly a character he had written, so that n-o-b-o-d-y missed her.

* Merton's boys were insufferable. Would've been great to see Branson crush Larry. The unfortunate thing is, Fellowes writes his villains as horribly uncomplicated souls, with no redeeming qualities

* Rosamund became the unlikable, snotty Rosamund from S1.

* Rose and Atticus, Atticus and Rose. Cinderella gets her Prince Charming (slight nod to the upcoming Lily James film).

* The Mary and Gillingham resolution...REALLY? Couldn't they come up with something better than that? 

Overall, a reasonably good episode.

In 100 years, the descendants of Lord Merton's 2nd son will be no different from Matthew Crawley. Larry needs to shut the hell up.

I know that Mary's not in on all of the details of what is going on with Edith, by there is no reason for Mary to be such a raging bitch all of the time. Also there must have been some scenes cut because I couldn't figure out why Tony was dug in like a tick over Mary. Did Mary knock him up during their sex vacation?

I was so shocked that Cora was being smart and then she came up with a dumb Cora plan to keep Marigold.

• Love 1

In 100 years, the descendants of Lord Merton's 2nd son will be no different from Matthew Crawley. Larry needs to shut the hell up.

I know that Mary's not in on all of the details of what is going on with Edith, by there is no reason for Mary to be such a raging bitch all of the time. Also there must have been some scenes cut because I couldn't figure out why Tony was dug in like a tick over Mary. Did Mary knock him up during their sex vacation?

I was so shocked that Cora was being smart and then she came up with a dumb Cora plan to keep Marigold.

Except the 21st century descendants would likely still be @$$holes/b!tches. Just ones who have to have jobs...

• Love 1

And let's see how that's gonna work out for her.  Sheesh, she got the kid back -- and yeah, it was crappy the way she did it -- and she's still mopey as can be.  Oy.  But making Mrs. Drewe sound like a loon just cuz she cared about Marigold?  Go, Mrs. Drewe & scream your lungs out Edith is that kid's mother.  Btw, is this yet another, even older little girl?

I have not seen any of these comments suggesting Charles is gay, but man, that's exactly what I thought.  First off, there's never been any heat between him & Mary in the least -- maybe cuz she's about a head taller than him.  But that kiss in the theater?  I expected him to wipe his mouth after it and go "ew" or "yuck".  And who could blame him if he did?  Anyhoo, I saw more sexual chemistry goin' on between Charles & Tony, but maybe I'm projecting -- er, a teeny bit?

I've made comments as early as episode 4 that Blake seems like Mary's gay best friend, because...he does! To start with the broad stereotypes (and I admit they're stereotypes, but Fellowes sometimes doesn't really go for nuance here), he was at a women's fashion show with an attractive woman, and he didn't really seem interested in her. Another poster, DianeDobbler, (brilliantly) pointed out that he was "amusingly particular about the food" when he and Mary were at the restaurant. His cunning plan to foil Gillingham involved whispering to Mary like they were besties -- again, without a hint of heat or longing or sexual tension. Finally, this kiss that seemed to be played as more broadly comedic than secretly passionate. Blake hasn't really seemed like a "suitor" to me since maybe episode 2 this year, and really just the Christmas Special last year.

I don't actually believe Fellowes intended to write Blake as gay, but I also don't believe he was going for sexual tension either. There was a way to play up any longing/secret desire, and I just never saw it from the actor this season. I could more easily see him and Mary making (stereotypically) catty remarks about another girl's dress than I could see him seriously romancing Mary.

• Love 4

I'm confused.  Aren't these people the ones who are simply obsessed with things like good manners, class, dignity and breeding?  If that's the case, then what was up with the quite public display of tasteless class by Larry?  Aren't insults best served behind the back of the target or carefully cloaked in a way that the insultee would be too dense to comprehend?  It just seemed so out of character for the hoity toity of society to be so nasty to one's face. 

So tired of Anna and Bates, who used to be favorites.  Also tired of Baxter, who wanders around with the oddest expression on her face.  They seem to so want her to be a mischief maker but it's failing miserably.  And I'll just go ahead and say it.  Daisy is a bitch.  At first, one hoped that it was because she was young and would grow out of that surly attitude.  Nope.  She's nastier than ever.  Educate yourself Daisy, and get the hell out of Downton.  Molesley is wasting his time being nice to her.  She's incapable of appreciating it.

Not sure what I think about Cora's hairbrained plot to bring Marigold back from London.  The whole thing was just off.  The magazine went without an editor for the years that Gregson was gone.  Then, Edith got there and in less than 24 hours was the long respected (and staff protected) owner.  She worries about it failing if she goes to America, yet it managed to plod along for all but about six hours without her or Gregson for the years he's been gone.

Mabel Lane Fox is cute.  Not sure why she worked so hard to get Tony back.  One would think she'd have more boyfriends than she knew what to do with.  He's not that big of a prize.

Yeah, that was a complete DUH moment when Atticus offered up the most inspired suggestion that perhaps Edith, who fled to London, might possibly be at the magazine she inherited.  He's cute.  Rose is cute.  No reason to make it much more complicated than that and I'd be perfectly fine with them riding off into the sunset.  She is a total Cousin Oliver and I've still not figured out what she actually adds, other than *insert younger girl into scene to replace the Sybil character* mention on the script.

• Love 4

I like looking at Mabel more than at mary.

It was sort of funny how everyone kept thinking and even saying in law before Atticus had even proposed.

I did not think Cora was saying edith was wrong to take marigold away by saying mrs drewe has been used badly, I think there are many ways to interpret that, but her lines about her granddaughter persuade me that Cora was not going tobe ok with any situation in which a child relates to her was being brought up by others. For this I respect her and I definitely like the smack down she gave Violet and Rosamund, rosamund is a total bitch, dissing America in front of Cora.

Edith's plan to go to America is a better plan but I can see Cora wouldn't like it because she wants baby around.

ISIS! Noooooo.

Yes the two sons were vulgar. Exactly as robert was to bunting a few weeks ago. Well no, they were worse. I hope Merton reassures Isobel that the sons are not going to be around because I will be pissed off if Thai becomes engagement gate. I mean their mother had been dead for years already. Wtf is wrong with them?

I now think Mary's haircut makes her look too severe.

• Love 1

Except for Tom and Rose all of the upstairs crew are so selfish and self-centered.

So Cora gets mad at Violet and Rosamund for keeping Edith's secret but then Cora decides to keep it a secret from Robert

Cora thinks Edith has used and abused Mrs. Drewe and then turns around and comes up with a plan where Marigold is once again, although only temporary, with the Drewes.

Wish Mr. Drewe had told Cora to go suck an egg when she asked him to help them.

Once again Edith shows how much she is afraid of losing her position (such as it is) with everyone knowing about Marigold.  Wish Mrs. Drewe would take out an ad in the London newspaper and post it in every shop window in Downton Village and Ripon.

Edith has nerve immediately jumping at Rosamund when she and Cora show up at the office.

Edith hasn't been running the magazine since Gregson disappeared why does she think it can't run with her in America?

I thought Atticus seems rather dim so it was especially funny that he came up with the solution as to where Edith might be.  How dim does that make the Crawleys.

Isobel deserves so much better than the Merton boys.

Loved loved loved Sybbie with Tom on the bridge.  She needs to be in the show more.  What a sweetie.

• Love 4

I guess we can assume Larry won't become one of Mary's new suitors now, not after insulting her dead husband's mother.

Larry actually pretty strongly insulted Mary's dead husband at the table in front of her, pretty much to her face -  Robert, and Isobel, and Robert's current heir George as well. (Based on Mary's comments to Violet later, unfortunately it seems clear that *Mary's* opinion is similar to Larry's) 

I agree btw that Mary's haircut is too severe.

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 2

I've made comments as early as episode 4 that Blake seems like Mary's gay best friend, because...he does! To start with the broad stereotypes (and I admit they're stereotypes, but Fellowes sometimes doesn't really go for nuance here), he was at a women's fashion show with an attractive woman, and he didn't really seem interested in her. Another poster, DianeDobbler, (brilliantly) pointed out that he was "amusingly particular about the food" when he and Mary were at the restaurant. His cunning plan to foil Gillingham involved whispering to Mary like they were besties -- again, without a hint of heat or longing or sexual tension. Finally, this kiss that seemed to be played as more broadly comedic than secretly passionate. Blake hasn't really seemed like a "suitor" to me since maybe episode 2 this year, and really just the Christmas Special last year.

Due to the number of eligible young men killed during the war, it's never been easier for someone of Blake's background to find a girlfriend or a wife. Yet Blake chose to spend his time in Season 4 gadding about the countryside with another confirmed bachelor, Evelyn Napier, to study "estate management".

"Estate management" is also the excuse that Lady Violet uses when she has explain to Spratt why he saw Lady Mary exiting the Grand Hotel in Liverpool with Lord Gillingham. Lady Violet set that Gillingham and Mary were attending an informal conference of northern landowners.

• Love 1

Does anyone else find it unrealistic that Merton's sons are such enormous pricks?

Not at all. I think it's clear that the sons (or at least Larry) intended to make a scene at dinner in the hopes of breaking up the engagement.  They are colossal snobs and they don't want the widow of a doctor ensconced in their ancestral home, holding the position their mother held.  Being enormous pricks in front of their father's fiancée and insulting most of her family seems a good way to accomplish that goal.  They seem to care not at all about the damage it might do to their relationship with their father, probably believing that his feelings for Isobel are not deep and that he'll just get over it.  Who knows -- maybe they think his taking a wife will prolong his life and they are eager to inherit.  I think they are just assholes, but realistic assholes.

One last thought -- by insulting Isobel in front of her whole family (and insulting the family as well) they've effectively enlisted the entire Crawley clan in supporting their aim.  They can expect everyone at that table to ask Isobel if she's sure she wants to spend the rest of her life connected to such horrible people.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 8
Larry Grey: I know the choice of in-laws is eccentric. In this family, you already boast a chauffeur and soon you can claim a Jew.

I'm disappointed with Larry Grey.  He could have said "you already boast a chauffeur and an American"

Lord Merton: The boys take after their mother in every possible way.

Then why haven't they dropped dead?

• Love 4