Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Final Food Fight

With the final recruit for each team chosen, Chef Anne and Chef Tyler work with their Recruits to choose a refined three course menu to be served to a panel of expert judges. While the Recruits cook, one must work through excruciating pain when they get a taste of the real dangers facing professional chefs daily. The two final Recruits work tirelessly in a professional kitchen to determine who will be named the winner of the Worst Cooks in America and win $25,000.

I am utterly shocked that the contestant whose family owns a restaurant but knew absolutely nothing about cooking (wink, wink) won this competition.  Shocked, I tell you.

It's almost as if my hubby and I had yelled "ringer" at her since the first time they revealed Daddy owned a restaurant on the first episode of this season.

This being said, I feel bad for Genique, one of the only people (and I mean it, there only felt like there were about two) who felt at all genuine this season.

• Love 11

I knew Anne was going to win, that's probably why Bobby is off the show, so she could be the winner again. That burn looked bad, I'm glad they stopped the clock to take care of it, but Tyler sounded more upset about it stopping the competition than the fact that Genique got hurt.

• Love 4

This season has become so boring, I just came here to see who won.  

where the season went wrong - having TWO contestants with family members in the restaurant business.  So, they've obviously had much more exposure to cooking. 

Also, the complicated dishes.  Sorry, I can't cook these fancy complicated dishes, at least not in the timeframe the contestants are given.  If I'm the intended audience, I want to see "BAD cooks, learn to cook as well as I can.  I don't want to see people who say they are "the worst cooks in America" in a matter of weeks, be able to surpass me in skills and knowledge.  That just makes me feel like crap about my own skills.  These are people who suck at cooking, and they can out-cook me.  So I guess I suck.  

Not going to watch a show that makes me feel like that. 

• Love 4

Tyler was an asshole. Not only did he just do a demonstration for Genique on the practice day, he repeatedly broke the rule by standing less than 2' away at the finale. His ego let his recruit down.

• Love 2

Hey, @backformore, don't feel bad.  I bet we can both cook these meals in just as much time as these "worst cooks" are given, if, like them, we had someone else do the shopping and setting up of the kitchen for us, including "cold bowls" (whatever the hell that is...I do not know anyone with "cold bowls" lying about in a kitchen at any given time) and second chance oven pans for another go at roasting mushrooms, let alone extra mushrooms.

I realize that this show is just a bit of a farce, and it was down to two people who at least appeared knowledgeable, but I really wish TFN would seriously revisit this format and make it better.  It's a song I've been singing for a long time, but I seriously miss the late 90s version of TFN, before Emeril was "bam" and Flay was someone to beat (but you wanted to BBQ with).  Just good food recipes and technique. 

• Love 3

where the season went wrong - having TWO contestants with family members in the restaurant business.  So, they've obviously had much more exposure to cooking. 

Also, the complicated dishes.  Sorry, I can't cook these fancy complicated dishes, at least not in the timeframe the contestants are given.  If I'm the intended audience, I want to see "BAD cooks, learn to cook as well as I can.  I don't want to see people who say they are "the worst cooks in America" in a matter of weeks, be able to surpass me in skills and knowledge.  That just makes me feel like crap about my own skills.  These are people who suck at cooking, and they can out-cook me.  So I guess I suck.  

If you were to spend all day every day being taught cooking skills and nothing else, you could probably do a duck or the creme anglais or the raviolo with the egg (ew) in it. Heck, a lot of those dishes you could probably do with just your regular cooking skills. I've made many a cheesecake before. I am sure I could do a "deconstructed" cheesecake. It's all about the recipes and instructions (and youtube videos). 

So Kristin won? Rats! I was pulling for Genique.

So was I. I liked her and wanted her to win. I liked what she said about cooking for herself being healthier but she didn't hammer that statement over our heads every episode. 

• Love 3

I'm sure this show was producer scripted and heavily edited like most reality show are.

The finale felt more real to me. Gen getting burned, Tyler flipping out, Ann and Tyler fighting ( I thought that was funny). If Kristen spent time in a restraunt environment she did a good job of acting like she didn't know what she was doing.

I was rooting for Genique but I'm glad she was happy she learned something about cooking and health.

If anyone needed any proof that Genique was not a knowledgeable cook, it took until the finale to discover that she could not use a manual can opener.

I found that hard to believe, but possible. 

Next year, we'll have one recruit who won't know where to get water.

The judge meant "deconstruct" the cheesecake right? Not "decompose" it?

That looked like a wicked burn. Tyler's demeanor in the kitchen is so tense and heavy handed. I hope he's not back next season.

lol I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. I was thinking "ew!" plus, isn't "deconstructed" the latest culinary term for "can't make a plate look good"?  I can't think of a situation where a "decomposed" dish could be good. I was surprised a culinary expert would get the term wrong.

I kind of figured Kristen would win and I was happy she managed to put her hair up in a braid instead of having it dangling in her food (though I noticed she managed to flip her braid over her shoulder part-way through). I was rooting for Genique, but thought it would probably be Kristen. That burn Genique got looked like it hurt! Hopefully she's okay now.  I may be in the minority but I liked Tyler as a mentor. I felt like he probably jumped into this having no idea how weird it would be, but he seemed to have a real connection with his final contestants.

I agree. I love to cook and I can make some pretty complicated dishes, but it's a joke with my husband that if I'm making a fancy dinner expect it to be 2 hours later than the time I'm aiming for. I can't imagine cooking stuff this complicated in such a short time frame. I might try, but it's not gonna happen. These people are not even close to the "worst cooks" - I have actually met people who didn't understand how to make water boil (I thought the woman was kidding at first!).  People who grew up around restaurants are not THIS clueless.

• Love 1

If you were to spend all day every day being taught cooking skills and nothing else, you could probably do a duck or the creme anglais or the raviolo with the egg (ew) in it. Heck, a lot of those dishes you could probably do with just your regular cooking skills. I've made many a cheesecake before. I am sure I could do a "deconstructed" cheesecake. It's all about the recipes and instructions (and youtube videos). 

Good point.  I guess it's also the equipment, AND the clean-up.  I mean, if I was going to make "Raviolos"  (Isn't it ravioli?)  I would first have to head out to the store to buy the pasta attachment for my mixer, then go to the store and buy ingredients, then clean off the counter, find all the right bowls and measuring things, etc, etc.   and the reality is -   once i got to the store i would find some perfectly acceptable pre-made ravioli, and buy those instead,saving time AND money. (who needs gooey egg in their ravioli anyway?)

And de-constructed cheesecake?  Isn't that just having the graham cracker crust separate from the filling?  No, thanks. 

I agree. I love to cook and I can make some pretty complicated dishes, but it's a joke with my husband that if I'm making a fancy dinner expect it to be 2 hours later than the time I'm aiming for. I can't imagine cooking stuff this complicated in such a short time frame. I might try, but it's not gonna happen. These people are not even close to the "worst cooks" - I have actually met people who didn't understand how to make water boil (I thought the woman was kidding at first!).  People who grew up around restaurants are not THIS clueless.

Yes - and if I'm home all day making a fancy dinner, the dessert would be something I baked, first thing in the morning, and put it aside.  Because THEN, I'd have to clean up the kitchen from baking before attempting the main course. 

I have also met people who can't cook.   My advice to them is always - start slow, start with easy.   Use a clear recipe for something simple, and try making stuff that's got instructions on the package -  rice, dry pasta, a spice mix, bottled marinade.   Cook something you LIKE, not something you've never had before.  It might not get you on a cooking show, but if you can make meatloaf and mashed potatoes, or baked chicken and rice, you're already no longer the WORST cook. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

Well, that was a bummer, I was pulling for Genique. Although Kristin didn't actually bother me much. I'm just glad we were spared a Sarah/Leo finale.

The whole fight between the chefs was silly when as far as I could see Anne spent just as much time standing as close to Kristin as Tyler did Genique.

I feel like the contestants seemed to have learned a lot more basic skills by the finale in previous seasons. Genique looked like she was still clutching her knife by the back of the blade.

• Love 1

THEY SPOILERED THE SHOW IN THE SHOW!

Did anyone notice?  At the 56 min. mark, the group had just arrived at the judging table and the discussion of the food had barely begun.  In the lower right-hand corner of the screen (where there is usually the Food Network bug or a promo for an upcoming show) a big red box appeared containing the text, "Hear more from Kristen on her win tonight at FoodNetwork.com/WorstCooks."

What!! They had not yet announced the winner!  I don't usually watch cooking shows, but have really enjoyed this one.  I can't believe anyone at Food Network was stupid enough not only to add that to the screen at that point, or that whoever edits the show didn't bother to catch it.  I really hate spoilers of any kind for shows I'm following, but this was just so sloppy.

Yes, I'm grumpy.

• Love 3

I kind of figured Kristen would win and I was happy she managed to put her hair up in a braid instead of having it dangling in her food

If nothing else, I give her props for that.

Hell, it's not their first time.  They have a reputation for doing that. 

• Love 1

I can't believe anyone at Food Network was stupid enough 

Never underestimate the stupidity of the Food Network. It is epic.

Sorry they spoiled you, but this is completely in keeping with the way that network operates.

What a crock. Of course Anne had to have the winner, since it is her show. Why do they even bother?

Genique had the misfortune of being a somewhat bland but likeable person, and the added misfortune of cooking for the wrong chef. She does not come from a family of restaurant chefs, as her competitor did. Her food was much better, but she could not overcome the pre-ordained finish.

At least we were spared the two worst buffoons, Leo and Sarah.

• Love 2

RE: My griping about the in-show spoiler.

Thanks so much to the posters who let me know about the Food Network's history with this kind of silliness. I haven't watched many of their programs, and now I'm pretty sure I'll know to avoid them (or at least be prepared for their shenanigans).

Backing away slowly now . . .

I am utterly shocked that the contestant whose family owns a restaurant but knew absolutely nothing about cooking (wink, wink) won this competition.  Shocked, I tell you.

It's almost as if my hubby and I had yelled "ringer" at her since the first time they revealed Daddy owned a restaurant on the first episode of this season.

Yep, I pretty much had her pegged as a ringer from day one.  I also thought Sarah (mother was a culinary grad, brother a chef) was a ringer, although she didn't get all the way to the final.  She claims she didn't inherit the culinary gene.  It's obvious to me that she did and knew her way around a kitchen.  I feel that I can tell those things about a person knowing my own way around one like I do.

Speaking of Bobby Flay - I saw a poster for the initial casting for this season and it showed Anne and Bobby, not Tyler.  So I wonder when and why Bobby backed out, not that I could blame him if it meant losing yet another season to Anne.

I felt sorry for Genique - I thought her menu was more ambitious and that her food was actually liked better by the judges so I am finding it hard to swallow yet another red team win.

Speaking of stupid - I thought it was dumb of Tyler to allow Genique to fill that blender up so high with hot liquid and putting it on such a high speed.  I know to never ever fill up a blender more than half way with such hot liquid precisely because there's a danger it might splatter all over you.  And Anne with the creme Anglais - There's a lot less risk of it curdling if you do it in a double boiler made from a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water.  One would think these accomplished chefs would know these things.....

As to the spoiler, I saw it too and I had known about FN's leaking these things before.  How they don't get a clue is amazing.

Edited by Snarklepuss

Having thought anout the finale overnight, i'm even more annoyed at the whole season.

There is no way that Kristin was as clueless in the kitchen as she portrayed herself to be. This whole show is orchestrated to make Burrell the star, and it was obvious that her team was going to produce the winner no matter what. The fact that week after week the clown characters always seemed to stay, while the more normal people always fell by the wayside also proves that this show has absolutely nothing to do with improving poor cooks, but is only about creating fake characters for the ratings.

If this show was true to it's name, Norman and Genique would have been the finalists, and asshats like Leo, Sarah, David and the other buffoons would have been gone in the first 3 weeks.

In real life, if Kristin comes from a family of restareteurs (?) and chefs, there is no way she could be totally clueless about the kitchen. It's normal for the rest of the family members to discuss their common interests when they get together, so she had to at least be aware of basic recipes and kitchen skills. She was a ringer put in place to make sure Burrell and her idiotic cackle and hairdo emerged victorious.

But I guess since Burrell is nothing more than a character herself, we should have known this show would devolve into what it has become.

Also, Florence really showed he lacks integrity with his claim that these are the type of people he would hire for his restaurants, and his general lack of enthusiasm as the show progressed.

• Love 2

Bobby Flay won seasons 4 and 5, so I don't think him not being here for season 6 has anything to do with "losing". He's got a lot on his plate with 3 other shows currently in production - Barbeque Addiction, Brunch @ Bobby's, and Beat Bobby Flay. No one else on Scripps Network has that many shows currently in production, plus he has all his restaurants to keep up with. And now he's going to be a mentor on "All-Star Academy" which appears to be replacing Best Cook and premiers next month. So that's 4 shows. I don't know when the man sleeps. I heard him say in an interview when asked about how he does all he does that he thinks sleep is highly overrated. Maybe he decided he needs a nap now and again. ;-)

• Love 3

I'm not an Anne fan given the way she behaves on competition shows but Tyler was being a total dick to her. "I need you to mind your own business"? Really? I could see acting like that if she was commenting on their food or something. But she was pointing out him breaking a rule. The fact he was getting so pissed off showed him to be an entitled prick.

• Love 2

I have no idea what Kristen's actual skill level was before she came on the show, though she must be a pretty good actress because she seemed fairly clueless during many of the challenges and not particularly great in the finale, but I have friends and family who grew up in restaurant families and don't know how to cook.

My uncle owns three restaurants and while one of my cousins grew up to be an excellent chef, another an awesome home cook, my third cousin couldn't even be on this show because in order to be the worst cook in America you have to have attempted to cook something once in your life. He seriously had to have me explain how to make pasta with a canned sauce. I have other friends who also took no interest in their family business, some doing it as an intentional form of rebellion and some who's parents actively discouraged it, and can't cook worth a damn, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that she was clueless.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Speaking of stupid - I thought it was dumb of Tyler to allow Genique to fill that blender up so high with hot liquid and putting it on such a high speed.  I know to never ever fill up a blender more than half way with such hot liquid precisely because there's a danger it might splatter all over you.  And Anne with the creme Anglais - There's a lot less risk of it curdling if you do it in a double boiler made from a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water.  One would think these accomplished chefs would know these things.....

I assume they do know better but do it to up the drama, like Bobby Flay a couple of seasons ago making his contestant carry the tray of creme brulee dishes in water to the oven hoping not to spill instead of just filling the tray on the oven rack.

Which is kind of awful, the more I think about it. Possibly self-sabotaging your own contestants for the sake of drama? Now I've depressed myself.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Genique, too.  They have to replace Tyler.  He is devoid of humor, doesn't get the format and is dull.  Bobby Flay was great but I understand why he didn't want to do it again.  

Unbelievable they telegraphed the winner.  I FF a lot so I missed that.  

When Tyler was telling Anne to buzz off, at first I thought he was just joking with her -- being uber serious. I agree that he wasn't much fun, but FN is quickly running out of male chefs to compete with Anne. Why does it even need to be another man?

One thing I've learned from watching FN and other networks is that just because you own a restaurant doesn't necessarily mean you're a cook of any type. So with Kristen and her father, who knows?

Did Genique receive any type of consolation at all? (My DVR cut off.) I know that one year the losing mentor paid for his chef to go to culinary school.

FN has plenty of male chefs to go through.  The judging panel on Chopped alone can keep the show going for another half dozen seasons.

Ha - I'd like to see Zakarian doing it. I think that one judge on Cuththroat Kitchen would be fun to watch since he's laid back and seems to have a good sens of humor. Not the Indian guy, but the other one. Antonia vs. Anne would be cool, too.

ETA: I remember the names now. The judge I like is Jet Tila and the Indian judge is Simon (not sure how to spell his last name)Majendar(?).

Edited by Lamb18

I was thinking of male chefs on FN who have actual teaching skills. I can't think of a single judge on Chopped who would meet the requirements. Zakarian comes across as pretentious on "The Kitchen" and seems to barely tolerate his colleagues' efforts. (I've seen him literally cringe when trying one of Katie Lee's seemingly healthy concoctions.) Marc Murphy and Scott Conant are both definite "nos." While Aaron might do OK, I don't know how broad his repertoire is. 

Alex (if you want to go to females) had a how-to show on FN ages ago. She would be good, but she seems far too serious and anxious/nervous to be a good mentor. I guess we'll see when this new cooking academy type show starts up next month.

Marc Murphy could probably do it.  Conant would be hilarious to watch up against Anne.  I can't stand Zakarian but I'd love to see him go into twitch fits over these fools.  Santos would have them in tears.  

• Love 3

I'm not an Anne fan given the way she behaves on competition shows but Tyler was being a total dick to her. "I need you to mind your own business"? Really? I could see acting like that if she was commenting on their food or something. But she was pointing out him breaking a rule. The fact he was getting so pissed off showed him to be an entitled prick.

I agree with you that Tyler came off as a total turd on this show, but I can see how Anne can be a total PITA after a while with her constant self congratulatory (I'm better than you are, nyah, nyah) attitude.  I think perhaps there was more to that exchange than just that one "correction" and Tyler had it up to his eyeballs with her.  I would want to punch her out, myself.  I think his reaction might have actually been tame under the circumstances. 

• Love 2

I disliked how Tyler didn't let Genique practice the cooking. I knew she'd be a goner after that. I'm surprised Tyler was that dense not to realize that muscle memory and practice is key to learning a skill. 

I'm giving Anne credit for her comment to get Genique out of the kitchen, so she can have a moment. Anne was more on the ball during the chaotic situation. Genique's wound looked bad, like it may scar.

Edited by cee
  • Love 1

(I've seen him literally cringe when trying one of Katie Lee's seemingly healthy concoctions.)

I actually give him points for that.

I can see how Anne can be a total PITA after a while with her constant self congratulatory (I'm better than you are, nyah, nyah) attitude.  I think perhaps there was more to that exchange than just that one "correction" and Tyler had it up to his eyeballs with her.  I would want to punch her out, myself.

Agree with this, too. I find Anne to be abrasive and annoying on this show.

I disliked how Tyler didn't let Genique practice the cooking. I knew she'd be a goner after that. I'm surprised Tyler was that dense not to realize that muscle memory and practice is key to learning a skill.

This disappointed me. I also think he kid of set her up for failure in the way he designed her menu. Tyler has a fabulous restaurant in San Francisco and I like him in other FN shows but this one was just not a good fit. Odd, since years ago he had a show that specifically was about teaching people to cook and he was pretty good on that (blanking on the name). He never meshed with Anne here, though. I hope he bows out before the next season.

I feel better now.  I thought it was just because I taped a later airing.  And I suppose I should be smarter, given that they overlap so you always find out the winner of a previous show as a new one begins.  Still...that was all kinds of stupid, and I was pissed about it too.  

I was rooting for Genique but against Tyler which was confusing.  I guess it ultimately didn't matter who won, though I hope Genique was compensated for the burn as some kind of consolation prize.  

If they bring this back, and I assume they will, I hope they've switch it up the way people have suggested in other threads.

As to the Anne vs. Tyler back-and-forth- maybe they should just have the mentors leave the kitchen, or coach via earpiece watching on a monitor.  I also wish the recruits had more to do with the menu so it was more about showing off what they could now create instead of just having them replicate another dish (I know that's a skill, and it's basically what cooking from recipes is, but if we're testing who's a better teacher why not layer in the ability to independently apply techniques learned?).

• Love 1

Odd, since years ago he had a show that specifically was about teaching people to cook and he was pretty good on that (blanking on the name)

The show was called "Food 911". Too bad they don't rerun it anymore (I think). It was a fun show.

I find Anne to be a petulant, spoiled poor sport (if all that can go in one description and make sense).  She's competitive to the point of being rude and obnoxious.  She's a tattle and gets into others' business.  She's the bratty asshole kid you hated playing with on the playground because every ball was their's and they'd walk away if the game didn't go just their way.  And I know she has a lot of talent, and can rock it in the kitchen.  She's just not 'appetizing' to watch in competitions where she's not the sous. 

- Edited for spelling corrections

Edited by Mz Anthrope
  • Love 3

Ha - I'd like to see Zakarian doing it. I think that one judge on Cuththroat Kitchen would be fun to watch since he's laid back and seems to have a good sens of humor. Not the Indian guy, but the other one. Antonia vs. Anne would be cool, too.

ETA: I remember the names now. The judge I like is Jet Tila and the Indian judge is Simon (not sure how to spell his last name)Majendar(?).

That's Simon Majumdar. And, despite the last name, I think he's actually British. He's also Caucasian, not Indian

That's Simon Majumdar. And, despite the last name, I think he's actually British. He's also Caucasian, not Indian

There are many British citizens of Indian heritage - the Raj and all that.  I've heard Simon describe himself as Indian or mention his Indian background more than once.  He has also mentioned it on his FB page.

• Love 1