Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Canaries

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

The only thing I found remotely Olicity actually was when Felicity was yelling at Oliver. 

Thea comes down to the foundry in the middle of them tending to a Vertigo dosed Laurel and Oliver barks at her to get out of there, to which Roy says you can't talk to her like that.  Thea agrees to go away and Oliver gets made at Roy for talking to him like that and Diggle tries to calm things down.  Felicity steely eyed says, "No, we need this.  Oliver you were gone, dead.  At least we thought you were and we had to go on with our lives and doing that meant not doing things your way."

Oliver came back with, "Fine, I'm back now."  (and looking pissed and putout)

Felicity still tight jawed and now raising her voice replies, "That doesn't mean we can go back."  (Oliver narrows his eyes, maybe a little confused) " And you do not have the right to come back here and question everyone's choices."

Then he looked at Diggle and Roy and then kind of wilted, asked to be told if there was any change in Laurel's condition and walked away. 

haha thanks you provided a much better summary lol. 

I have to go away for a while.  This one hurt in ways I was not prepared for.

I'm genuinely sorry that you feel that way, because I started feeling that way early this season, and then it hit hard when they stunt-killed Oliver.  I'll only say this here, because you are fellow tv-lovers, but I've been in a crap mood for weeks because of this stupid show.  They've ruined something I really looked forward to, and now it's so ruined that I can't even watch S1-2 on Netflix any more.  Every single thing I loved about it is gone, from the awesome stunts (just Oliver running through streets and over rooftops used to be great fun), to Diggle and Felicity both as individual characters and a team, and it sucks.  I realize that's a first-world problem, for real, but I get pretty devoted to tv shows (Buffy, VMars, Fringe, Supernatural before it got bad), and it sucks when they just totally fall apart like this.  The worst part is how contemptuous the showrunners are of everyone who disagrees with their stories, even professional critics.  They just don't care. 

• Love 21

I'm confused. Did fake Sara give her blessing?

Uh, kind of. Fake Sara smiled down upon her from whence she stood after Laurel told Hallucination!Lance and Hallucination!Sara that she wasn't going to try to be Sara or be a liar anymore. At least I think that's what she said, I can't remember.

• Love 1

In regards to the hug between Felicity and Laurel.  I actually didn't mind it.  Laurel came in convulsing and perhaps dying and Felicity is going to be glad she didn't and offer comfort.  Except for that dumbass comment about the light, she basically told Laurel stop trying to be Sara and be yourself.  There was none of that big heart crap (oh, for what I would have traded any light reference for a plateful of big heart)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 13

Ferry to Shanghai? From Hong Kong? Really? Anybody checked the map before shooting the episode?

Why they just put Diggle in the control room Nowadays? Felicity is more than adequate for that, I would think. Whatever happens with Diggle in ski mask armed with firearms and being an integral part of the assault team?

• Love 11

So is anybody ever going to tell Thea that she killed Sara or nah? 

I'm kind of wondering now if she was fully aware she did it and she and Malcolm are both playing Oliver with that video. To what endgame, I don't know, but...none of this makes sense to me. 

• Love 2

Why they just put Diggle in the control room Nowadays? Felicity is more than adequate for that, I would think. Whatever happens with Diggle in ski mask armed with firearms and being an integral part of the assault team?

I think this is in deference to the fact that he's now a daddy. Not saying I like it, but I think that's what it is about.

• Love 1

Wait, didn't we get a spoiler that we would be meeting Laurel's new trainer in this episode? Did I imagine that or did I blink and miss that scene?

Yet Sara was talking about Felicity go figure

Er, no offense, but that is not a fact. The writers kept it deliberately ambiguous who Sara was talking about. Olicity fans can lay claim to the line because Felicity was in the room with her (off-screen) when she said it, but there's also a possibility that Sara was referring to Laurel because she told her that Oliver needs her in 2x23. This is a deliberate writing tactic employed by writers when they want to keep all options open and give both shipper groups something to hang onto. I've seen it a thousand times before on other shows.

And by the way, as a non-shipper, I find this fight over who Oliver's light is rather asinine. The light should be something that Oliver finds within himself and not something he latches onto via proxy (Felicity or Laurel).

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 8

So little of that made sense that I don't really know where to start. People's motivations and feelings for each other are changing so fast I have whiplash.

I am a champion of female friendship on television since it is criminally under represented,  and I would love to see a great one on Arrow, but I can't get behind Laurel and Felicity being BFFs if Felicity is going to be written out of character to make it happen. There's no way in the world Felicity, who barely knows Laurel and has a tremendous respect for Sara, wouldn't have qualms with what Laurel is doing. But instead, she tells Laurel she has a light inside of her. Ugh, I never want to hear about that again.

I love Caity Lotz, but I hope if Arrow ever asks her to come back she tells them to fuck off. Having her actually say the lines "Why did I have to die? I didn't have to die." is ridiculous. Especially when there's no good answer to the question. I hate that she had to come back and do that. This might have been the lowest moment of the show for me.

On a more positive note, Thea finding out Oliver was the Arrow was everything I hoped it would be. I loved her reaction, and I think Oliver really needed to hear it too. Really looking forward to these two finally telling each other the truth and growing closer.

I'm also really glad that Quentin finally knows about Sara. I have to say, I thought Katie Cassidy was as good as she can be in that scene. I usually feel like I'm watching the "Katie Cassidy: Acting!" show during her scenes, but in this one I was just watching Laurel. Paul Blackthorne was obviously terrific, he completely broke my heart.

Lastly, Felicity and her can't even attitude with Oliver was great. "So you're leaving again?" Keep throwing that shade, girl.

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 14

There is absolutely no consistency with this writing whatsoever.  Diggle is once again on the "Don't tell Thea" train after bouncing back and forth with this week after week.  He tells Oliver he'll lose Thea if he tells her the truth.  So, Digs, Oliver will lose Thea if he reveals he's the Arrow but she'll still like Malcolm if he reveals what he did to her?  Oh, that's right....we get no mention of the whole ridiculous brainwash assassination of Laurel.  It's like the writers are trying to make us forget that ever happened as we pimp out the Malcolm Merlyn Redemption Tour.

Oliver finally telling Thea the truth was the highlight and I liked the honesty a lot.

Now back to the inconsistent writing...after Roy tells us that Malcolm wasn't evil all along and cares for the Glades, he's all of a sudden on the "Don't trust Malcolm" train again.  Well, he seems pretty much to adopt whatever opinion Thea has so I GUESS that counts as consistency.  Too bad because Roy had several good moments again, particularly when he yelled at Oliver for how he treated Thea.

I hate Laurel being part of Team Arrow and the attitude she brings along with it.  The writers need Ghost Sara and Felicity to prop her up this week.

I just can't.  I used to look forward to Arrow but the awful writing is making watching this show a chore.  I really hope it turns itself around but it's not going to have a chance until this current nonsense with Malcolm Merlyn is resolved.

• Love 7

I don't think it means anything. Sara told Oliver he needed someone who could harness the light in him, not someone who had a light in themselves. There's Felicity, harnessing that light in Laurel. Felicity Smoak: light harnesser

Yeah, this was not a hint at Lauriver. I didn't even watch the episode and I can see that. Felicity is the one who supports and harnesses the light in people, allows them to find the light in themselves. It's just a shame they had to shit on Sara's character to achieve that here.

• Love 5

Whiplash does seem to be an appropriate word here.

Good things:

1. Hurrah, everyone, the Dj is dead!

2. Thea's response to finding out Oliver's secret, and their nice bonding moments afterwards. This was a pretty strong episode for Willa Holland even if most of her role in it made absolutely no sense.

3.....I'm thinking.

4. Oh, Roy's hair. I liked Roy's hair.

5. Oliver and Felicity heading back into work mode; you could tell Felicity was still furious, but managing to focus on the most important part: saving the city.  I also liked her standing up for Roy, and the way that Oliver listened to her. I doubt that's going to win her more fans, but I liked that she continues to take a leadership role.

6. The acting in the Oliver/Diggle scene. I have a lot to say about the words, but I once again have to give a major nod to David Ramsey for working that scene.

7. Quentin at least getting to figure out that Laurel was walking around in the suit.

8. Roy has his own motorcycle now! 

Questionable things:

1. We have THREE trained killers surrounding the DJ and NONE of them did me the kindness of putting an arrow through him and throwing him through a window? None? You just let the guy drink poison? You're an ACTION SHOW. What was that?

2. Roy's gone. That's sad. Oliver needs someone to help. That's questionable since Oliver has worked on his own a lot. But ok, let's say Oliver needs someone to help. Oliver has a trained, healthy, Special Forces guy, or, an injured person with five months of boxing training to choose from.  Guess which one - whoa.

3. So, Malcolm says that to fight R'as they all have to go face their fears. Ok, I'm on board with this, sounds sensible.  Very wise, Malcolm. So the next stage is....going to the island?  Show, just a couple of seasons ago, Oliver fled back to that island to deal with his grief and shock, and at the end of just last season, he was on that island smiling in the sunlight.  What are you talking about, Malcolm, and exactly why does it involve exposing Thea to landmines?

• Love 14

I think the problem with this episode (and with the entire season, really, and in general, the show) is that there are these moments the writers want to capture that they think are cool -- the two Canaries fighting, for example -- and then they work backwards and try to connect it. And that's a terrible way of doing it, bc you have these randomly interesting moments, like Thea's reaction, and then they add in Digg's totally out of character comment about Oliver losing Thea to create some tension.

Or you have them wanting Laurel and Felicity to have a bonding moment, and they try once again to use that stupid light motif, and it just comes across as offensive. Can we talk about how the reason Laurel ISN'T like Sara is bc she's not being forced to kill? That they sideswipe it as some type of "light" thing is insane; it's the same way they had Sara bouncing happily off to Nanda Parbat when before she had tried to kill herself to escape them. It makes NO sense. 

The show as a whole continues to be all these disparate parts, and the characters are changing so fast that it's hard to even understand them. Thea went from only trusting Malcolm to only trusting Oliver. Did Oliver tell her about when Malcolm tortured him? OR WHEN MALCOLM DRUGGED THEA AND TURNED HER INTO A KILLER?

And again, there is NO way Laurel is good at fighting. This is the steepest and dumbest learning curve. A hastily written line about how Digg has also been working with her (WHAT HAPPENED TO TED?) would've helped even a little. The show using the Sara hallucination to point out the problems of their own storyline is just a mess. It's not about Laurel's evolution as a character so much as an acknowledgment of the shoddily written transformation and the inherent problematic nature of this story where they kill one woman for the sake of another's story, and use a third woman as the tool to do it. 

• Love 17

I have to go away for a while.  This one hurt in ways I was not prepared for.

Turns out I'm in the angry stage of grief.  Stupid damn show.  Darkest before the dawn, but that light comment really undercuts my confidence in there being a dawn.  At the very least they are hedging their bets in a way I am in no way tolerant of. 

I fastforwarded a scene tonight.  The one with Laurel at the courthouse.  Never done that before in my life.  Never.  I always watch everything.  I rewind if someone tries to talk to me.  If I can't understand a line, I put on closed captioning.   I watch EVERYTHING.  But I couldn't bear it tonight. 

• Love 2

I really think that Thea is just being what she always was, a bit of a brat.  She has moments of maturity like the way she was with Oliver and his reveal but then she runs off to sleep with the grunge assassin just because the adults were fighting about her.  Now I think she is mad at Malcolm because she realizes now that he's been telling the truth and her life really is in danger.  I think that part of her did think this was all a game of sorts.

Everyone did need to tell off Oliver.  Roy yelled at him because of how he talked to Thea and was bossing everyone around.

I get why everyone is mad about Felicity giving a pep talk to Laurel but she was right that Laurel needs to stop trying to be Sarah and be herself which right now seems to be the person who walks in and distract the bad guys by getting her ass handed to her so the Ollie and Roy can come in and take everyone out with arrows. .  I am glad that Quentin knows and I hope he gives everyone hell for lying to him.

Wait, didn't we get a spoiler that we would be meeting Laurel's new trainer in this episode? Did I imagine that or did I blink and miss that scene?

Yeah, MG said that. I guess maybe Oliver is training her? Because they said that he wouldn't because training implies a level of acceptance, but he accepted her, so...

Er, no offense, but that is not a fact. The writers kept it deliberately ambiguous who Sara was talking about. Olicity fans can lay claim to the line because Felicity was in the room with her (off-screen) when she said it, but there's also a possibility that Sara was referring to Laurel because she told her that Oliver needs her in 2x23. This is a deliberate writing tactic employed by writers when they want to keep all options open and give both shipper groups something to hang onto. I've seen it a thousand times before on other shows.

Except that not only was Felicity in the room, but they followed that scene up with several more which bathe Oliver in light when he's with Felicity - the clocktower scene, the beach scene, their first kiss, the discussion with Barry, and so on.  This hasn't been at all subtle.

Sara's line was also deliberate: "Harness the light inside of you," which is exactly what they had Felicity do with Laurel here.

If they were going to ship tease Laurel and Oliver, this was the episode to do so. They didn't - the closest they got was the alleyway scene where Laurel (understandably) walked out on him, and the fact that he agreed to take Black Canary out because Diggle was right there, and Oliver looking at Laurel before he took off. But he spent most of that goodbye scene looking at Felicity; Felicity, Diggle and Roy were the three that actually got through to him; and his bonding moments were with Thea, not Laurel.

• Love 11

I'm sorry I watched that piece of crap. Terrible writing.

Everyone was all over the place to service the plot.  Felicity was working with Oliver and then she was yelling at him, Diggle was quiet and then he was setting Oliver straight. Oliver was against Laurel and then he was happy leaving the city in her hands.

My deal with MG was that I'd stick around for Laurel Canary if I got decent Oliver and Felicity.  This wasn't even close.

I miss Moira, a lot. But how did Amanda erase the message?

Magic.  That's how everything worked this episode.  Somehow Amanda could access Moira's personal message machine remotely.

I still  don't know why Amanda wants Oliver when she's got a ton of trained people already.

• Love 6

I was glad that Roy set Ollie straight about how he was talking to Thea. Time to get used to the new status quo Oliver.

Roy has grown on me a lot this season, in the good kind of ways.  I never expected that to happen.  

• Love 9

As someone who only just started watching during Christmas break I must ask: What is this show doing? That was really terrible. This episode sort of validates why I didn't even want to give the show a chance when it premiered originally. 

• Love 15

I appreciate each and every one of you who gives their opinions as it helps me decide if I want to watch. I'm going to skip tonight - I'm sure I'll catch everything gif'd on Tumblr anyway. 

I realize that's a first-world problem, for real, but I get pretty devoted to tv shows (Buffy, VMars, Fringe, Supernatural before it got bad), and it sucks when they just totally fall apart like this.  The worst part is how contemptuous the showrunners are of everyone who disagrees with their stories, even professional critics.  They just don't care. 

I also get too invested in shows sometimes, and this one was it. I loved it so very much. It got me involved in fandom again. I wrote for the first time since 2009. It made me so happy, and now, not so much. And it's hard to be the loony person telling their friends how disappointed they are in a TV show because they can just stop watching if it isn't fun anymore. I wish it was that easy for me. 

So thanks again, folks. I wish Oliver had such great voices in his life. 

I will catch the Oliver/Thea scene, though. I'm glad she finally knows about Oliver. Maybe in 12 more episodes she can find out what a horrible biodad she has.  

• Love 12
I love Caity Lotz, but I hope if Arrow ever asks her to come back she tells them to fuck off. Having her actually say the lines "Why did I have to die? I didn't have to die." is ridiculous. Especially when there's no good answer to the question. I hate that she had to come back and do that. This might have been the lowest moment of the show for me.

Well if Caity's sudden change from before this episode was "Yeah, I'd love to come back and do flashbacks with Nyssa" to after this episode filmed being "Yeah, I don't think I'll be coming back", pretty much showed me this episode was probably pretty awful for her to film. 

I thought Laurel let the darkness in last season, what happened to that? Does blackmailing your boss, punching an unarmed injured man in a hospital bed and lying and pretending to be your dead sister to fool your father mean you have a light inside of you? Sara wouldn't have never done any of that. 

I'm glad I'm not watching this show anymore. I would not be able to stand the Laurel propping and her sudden competence after a few months of boxing lessons. Sara didn't fight crime to be hero, she refused to think of herself as one. She did it because it was the right thing to do. Someone that doesn't think of themselves as a hero are more of hero in my eyes. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 23
2. Roy's gone. That's sad. Oliver needs someone to help. That's questionable since Oliver has worked on his own a lot. But ok, let's say Oliver needs someone to help. Oliver has a trained, healthy, Special Forces guy, or, an injured person with five months of boxing training to choose from.  Guess which one - whoa.

Her propping is out of control and this scene was the worse of it!

Oliver was against Laurel and then he was happy leaving the city in her hands.

Maybe he is hoping she'll be dead when he comes back....or maybe it is me?

Edited by Hook75
  • Love 5

Ugh, honestly I was just so freaking bored during this episode. It hit none of the emotional beats it needed to (fallout from the Felicity/Oliver confrontation, Oliver learning about Laurel)...everything just felt rushed to further along the plot.  I've tried to remain positive, but honestly this episode just sucked.  I rolled my eyes about every five minutes.

I'm actually looking forward to Ray returning.  That's how much I disliked it.

• Love 5

As someone who only just started watching during Christmas break I must ask: What is this show doing? That was really terrible. This episode sort of validates why I didn't even want to give the show a chance when it premiered originally. 

I swear it used to be a good show.  The first season progressively got better and the first half of season 2 was wonderful and honestly, it's been a crap shoot since then, but this year progressively worse and worse.   

• Love 12

I just don't know what to say at this point.  Characters are just not making any sense, contradicting themselves from episode to episode, and almost everyone is acting like assholes.  Just, what exactly happened to this show?

First, Ollie?  I get it: what Laurel is doing is potentially reckless and stupid.  But it is her fucking choice.  Quit trying to control her and tell her what to do.  You are coming off like a unlikable jerk when you do that.  And a flaming hypocrite.  Seriously... just stop it.

Laurel?  Quit acting so smug.  Did you really just say that you were "doing what they couldn't do", when you took out the perp they were chasing.  Because hiding behind a van and taking an unsuspected guy out totally makes you cooler then them.  Oh, and then you try to take Vertigo by yourself.  You sure needed those guys when that happened.  Idiot.

Team Arrow?  I get it and you do need to have a voice in this, since Ollie is being an idiot.  But maybe don't act like he's the over-the-hill nuisance, who should be put out to pasture.  I mean, yeah you guys didn't fall apart, but it sure looked like Brick and his mean were going to give you hell, and you only survived by having Malcolm help, and then Ollie swoop in to save the day.  So, quit being jerks.  And, Roy?  Why are you no suddenly anti-Malcolm.  Where was that Roy last week?

Thea?  Now you have enough of Malcolm.  You knew what he did to The Glades, but that was fine.  But him keeping things from you is crossing the line.  You are just being weird, now.  Those drugs must have fucked up your brain.

At least Quentin finally knows what happen to Sara.  All it took was the Vertigo drug guilt-tripping Laurel.  Which means Count Vertigo is the damn hero of this episode, as far as I'm concern.

The Canary battle was such a disappointment.  I thought it was actually boring and poorly shot.  What a waste of Caity Lotz.  She really needs to find a better show.  Maybe Marvel can be the hero in this scenario.

I still like Maseo though.  He's the guy rising above the suck right now.

And, at least Thea finally knows about Oliver.  Can't wait to see them on the island.  Especially since I heard a certain recognizable voice, who I've been missing this season.

So... trying to be positive.  Um, at least we get two more episodes of Agent Carter this month?

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 20

Ugh, honestly I was just so freaking bored during this episode. It hit none of the emotional beats it needed to (fallout from the Felicity/Oliver confrontation, Oliver learning about Laurel)...everything just felt rushed to further along the plot.  I've tried to remain positive, but honestly this episode just sucked.  I rolled my eyes about every five minutes.

Was I the only one underwhelmed by the Thea reveal? I was much more touched by their conversation in the loft when they were just being themselves than when Thea accepted Oliver as the Arrow. It didn't feel right to me, just...kind of forced, I guess. I'm glad Oliver got to have that moment, but it didn't do anything for me, and that makes me sad, especially because I've been waiting for it for over 2 years.

Yes to the O/F fallout. Just snarking, no talking. Ugh.

And did I miss the scene where Oliver found out that Laurel was actually dressing up and going out? It seemed like he found out off screen and was already in the know the first time he saw her, but maybe I missed something.

• Love 3

Laurel has a light inside her?   So does my refrigerator.  Doesn't mean I want to watch it fight crime each week.

I may love you.

Two questions:  What exactly happened to the DJ?  And why do people think Roy is leaving/has left?

• Love 1

Except that not only was Felicity in the room, but they followed that scene up with several more which bathe Oliver in light when he's with Felicity - the clocktower scene, the beach scene, their first kiss, the discussion with Barry, and so on.  This hasn't been at all subtle.

Sara's line was also deliberate: "Harness the light inside of you," which is exactly what they had Felicity do with Laurel here.

Oh, I agree the writing for Olicity has been as subtle as a sledgehammer this season. There's no denying that from me. All I'm saying is that both shipper groups were given reason to believe that Sara's speech refers to their pairing of choice. That's all.

• Love 3

If they were going to ship tease Laurel and Oliver, this was the episode to do so. They didn't - the closest they got was the alleyway scene where Laurel (understandably) walked out on him, and the fact that he agreed to take Black Canary out because Diggle was right there, and Oliver looking at Laurel before he took off. But he spent most of that goodbye scene looking at Felicity; Felicity, Diggle and Roy were the three that actually got through to him; and his bonding moments were with Thea, not Laurel.

Except TIIC don't do anything with a plan. They write episodes and scenes for what looks cool.  Oliver looking at Felicity could be SA not the direction.

Nuanced details are not TIIC strong suit. Any Olicity scene was probably meant to be competition in the epic romance scene category. These morons probably don't have a plan past the end of their nose.

Was I the only one underwhelmed by the Thea reveal? I was much more touched by their conversation in the loft when they were just being themselves than when Thea accepted Oliver as the Arrow. It didn't feel right to me, just...kind of forced, I guess. I'm glad Oliver got to have that moment, but it didn't do anything for me, and that makes me sad, especially because I've been waiting for it for over 2 years.

Nope.  That felt rushed, too, at least to me.  What a bummer.

• Love 2

It seemed like Caity didn't enjoy doing this episode at all. She was phoning it in more than Bobby Carlyle last season on Once Upon a Time. Such a shame because she's done nothing but talk about how much she lived the role, as did Susanna. Susanna was a bit more blunt in her saying that obviously there was so much more for her character to do. But Caity isn't quite at Susanna's I've been in this industry for years so Fuck it status yet.

Wait, is wildcat dead? I would like a definitive answer because I avoid spoilers for Arrow.

• Love 3

i'm going to keep this short to stop myself from raging because I made the very big mistake of watching this episode.

Arrow you have a problem when every hallucination made more sense than any of the characters you have on screen and when I was cheering harder for them than the characters I have loved for two years.

I have no idea what the hell this episode was... other than trash.

• Love 9

It seemed like Caity didn't enjoy doing this episode at all. She was phoning it in more than Bobby Carlyle last season on Once Upon a Time. Such a shame because she's done nothing but talk about how much she lived the role, as did Susanna. Susanna was a bit more blunt in her saying that obviously there was so much more for her character to do. But Caity isn't quite at Susanna's I've been in this industry for years so Fuck it status yet.

Wait, is wildcat dead? I would like a definitive answer because I avoid spoilers for Arrow.

According to MG, he did not die. Just got beaten up. Sigh. You really can't kill a guy on this show.

• Love 2

It seems as if this show may have gained some new viewers during the Christmas break since ratings have increased.  This boggles my mind because I am not at all happy with the direction that the show is going in.  So I'm super curious, and if you don't mind sharing, I was wondering which plot developments you're most unhappy with?  I'm really wondering if new viewers are being turned off by the same things as long-time viewers. 

• Love 5