Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Canaries

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

Looked over the comments also. I'd forgotten just how much a low point Canaries had been for me. It was the first time in the season where I wondered if Olicity had been nothing but a bait and switch set up for Lauliver.

Lifting quotes from Twitter or forums about our complaints about Laurel or killing Sara was particularly cruel and gave me strong Smallville flashbacks since they'd done that very thing and worse.

No wonder this won for worst episode.

• Love 1

The only good part about this show was that Thea finally found out about the Arrow and how she handled that information. That is the only reason why I would ever want to willingly watch this episode again.

The rest of the show was just crap. Bad Vertigo. Disappointing fight scenes. Questionable & horrible scripts/quotes. So many OOC moments.

• Love 1

Would love to hear what Campea thought about tonight...

I just started watching this show, I'm binging so I can start season4 on time and Im reading all the commentary but who is this Campea I see mentioned? I looked on IMDB and nothing really seems to make sense as far as any Campea person who might be or might have been on the show.

John Campea is not on the show--he used to host a podcast (maybe it was a youtube show? I never watched it), called The Arrow Aftershow, that Stephen Amell appeared on. It had a pretty high profile. Anyway, John Campea had a very clear definition of what he liked and wanted from the show, and he quit in Season 3b because he promised he would if Laurel became Black Canary.

Edited by Carrie Ann

Oh, I still think listening to Tatsu and working with Malcolm was a dumbass move. It just doesn't bother me that Oliver makes dumbass decisions like it bothers you. :) Looking at the season as a whole, I accept his dumbness wholeheartedly.

I really don't understand that. You're obviously very smart. How can you stand to watch the story of a genuinely stupid man?

I really don't understand that. You're obviously very smart. How can you stand to watch the story of a genuinely stupid man?

It doesn't bother me when a character makes stupid decisions, if I can see it as in character, and I accept their motivations. Both of those things are true for me re: Oliver being a dumbass in S3. Do I wish he made better choices? Sure I do. But it's not a deal breaker for me wrt liking him.

Another thing that I think helps me a lot here is this is not my first Oliver Queen. Nor my favorite version of Oliver Queen. So I'm in more for the journey, than for love of the character. And I like Arrow!Oliver a lot, don't get me wrong, but I guess I'm used to -- more than that, I expect it because I've seen it in several other iterations -- that Oliver Queen is gonna do a lot of stupid shit before wising up.

• Love 1

313 (Canaries) – No Oliver Queen voiceover intro.

313 (Canaries) – Laurel fights a hallucination of Sara; and Oliver tells Laurel that she's not a hero:
(Laurel is hit with a Vertigo-laced dart and starts having hallucinations of Sara and fighting her.)
HallucinationSara: "Dinah Laurel Lance. Selfish bitch. You're not a hero. You're a liar. A fraud. And an addict."
Laurel: "Sara, Sara. Please, please. I'm your sister."
HallucinationSara: "Then why are you trying to take my place?"
(HallucinationSara defeats Laurel, but it's actually Werner Zytle. When Laurel is down on the ground, an arrow knocks Zytle back away from Laurel.)
Oliver: "Get away from her!"
Zytle: "You should be dead. I salute your persistence."
(Oliver then fights a whole group of minions. Zytle escapes.)
Laurel: "Help me! Help me! … Help me."
Oliver: "What the hell do you think you're doing?"
Laurel: "Your job, apparently!"
Oliver: "I told you that I didn't want you out here."
Laurel: "And I told you that it wasn't your call to make."
Oliver: "Laurel, think for a second what it would do to your father if something happened to you. What you're doing is selfish."
Laurel: "Fighting for your city isn't selfish. It's what a hero would do."
Oliver: "You're not a hero."
Laurel: "Maybe it's best if we stay out of each other's way."

313 (Canaries) - Laurel fights a hallucination of Sara (per script):
EVbLPGzUEAUQY4_?format=jpg

EVbLQGzUEAExA0c?format=jpg

EVbLRETU4AEclgd?format=jpg

313 (Canaries) - Oliver tells Laurel that he doesn't want her out in the field and that she's not a hero (per script):
EVVeg08U8AIC0e0?format=jpg

EVVeh7WVAAIADnD?format=jpg

313 (Canaries) – Malcolm tells Oliver that he must tell Thea about his secret identity now:
Diggle: "How'd it go out there?"
Oliver: "We ran into Laurel. Again. Diggle, how could you sign off on her doing this?" 
Diggle: "Oliver, you might not notice, but she's not exactly lobbying for anyone's permission." 
Oliver: "She has yours."
Diggle: "Well, not at first, but she can definitely hold her own out there." 
Felicity: "You have a visitor. Or, as I like to call him, your new BFF." 
Malcolm (entering): "I see things are still running smoothly down here." 
Oliver: "What do you want?"
Malcolm: "It's been weeks since your return. I thought it past time we spoke. Nanda Parbat is remote, but I wouldn't delude yourself into thinking that Ra's al Ghul missed your televised return to Starling City."
Oliver: "Your point, Malcolm?" 
Malcolm: "We can't merely wait for Ra's to mobilize his forces. It's time to bring Thea into the fold."
Oliver: "She's not ready to know my secret." 
Malcolm: "I disagree. But in any case, if we have to protect Thea and to defeat the League, the three of us need to join forces. But I don't see how we can do that if she is still to believe that her brother is a reformed playboy and failed businessman." (Leaves)
Diggle: "Oliver, I told you before, if Thea finds out you've been lying to her all this time, you will lose her... forever."

313 (Canaries) – Laurel gives Team Arrow a lead; and Oliver gives Laurel a lecture:
Oliver: "What do we know?"
Felicity: "Apparently the federal marshal guarding Werner Zytle just started shooting, while Zytle waltzed off in the panic. This is my favorite part." (Watches video of Laurel knocking out a man)
Roy: "That's pretty convenient. Guy decides to wig out, and Zytle takes advantage." 
Oliver: "It's not convenient, it's planned. Those are the effects of his Vertigo."
Diggle: "Zytle was in a full set of restraints. How did he even manage to dose a federal agent?" 
Laurel (entering): "He didn't. One of the reporters did. What's wrong? Was my form off?"
Felicity: "She's right. About the reporter."
Oliver: "We need a name -"
Felicity: "A name and address on our clumsy reporter. I'm on it."
Oliver: "What do you think you're doing?"
Laurel: "I'm coming with you."
Oliver: "No, you're not."
Laurel: "I just gave you your only lead!"
Oliver: "Can I talk to you for a second? Alone?"
(They walk outside.)
Laurel: “I know what you're going to say, but I risked my life for this city while you were gone. That should earn me some respect.”
Oliver: “This isn't about respect. And it's not about you risking your life. I understand that you miss Sara. And I understand that when you go out there like this, all of that pain goes away.”
Laurel: “It's the only time it ever does.”
Oliver: “And that relief isn't real. It's a drug.”
Laurel: “If you're implying –“
Oliver: “You are an addict. And just like with booze and pills, that high that you're chasing every night Is endangering your life.”
Laurel: “Go to hell, Oliver. You don't get to play that card with me. Ever. And if there is anyone who is using adrenaline to hide the pain of real feelings and real life, it's you.”

313 (Canaries) – We learn that Oliver planted a tracking device on Laurel:
Oliver: "What happened?"
Diggle: "One of our trackers sent a signal from the Starling City docks." 
Felicity: "Except we don't have any tracking devices in the field. Unless we do." 
Oliver: "It's Laurel." 
Roy: "You tagged Laurel with a tracer?" 
Oliver: "If she's going to be reckless, I need to know what she's doing." 
Felicity: "Well, she's definitely doing something. I'm just not exactly sure how reckless it is." 
Diggle: "I ran the manifests on all these shipping containers that you see here. One of these leads back to Zytle's old supplier." 
Roy: "Looks like Vertigo's back in business."
Oliver: "She's going to get herself killed. Suit up."

313 (Canaries) – Team Arrow stands up to Oliver:
(Oliver carries an injured, Vertigo-drugged Laurel into the Arrowcave.)
Oliver: "Need an IV. Watch her head."
Felicity: "You're going to be okay. It's going to be okay."
Hallucination Sara: "Why did I have to die?"
Laurel: "Sara?"
Hallucination Sara: "If you wanted to be me, you could have. I didn't have to die."
Laurel: "I am so sorry! I am so sorry! Sara! I am so - (Oliver injects her, causing her to pass out)
Thea (entering): "Ollie? I'm - I'm sorry, I just wanted to talk."
Oliver: "You need to go back upstairs. Now!"
Roy: "Hey! Don't talk to her like that. You brought her in. You don't have the right to kick her out."
Oliver: "I'm not. I'm protecting her."
Roy: "By telling her what to do? Work with Malcolm Merlyn, let him get his hooks deeper?"
Oliver: "Enough. She's my sister."
Roy: "She makes her own choices, Oliver!"
Thea: "It's okay. I - we can talk later. I just - just, is Laurel okay? Is she a part of this, too?"
Oliver: "She's going to be fine. I promise. Just - please go back upstairs." 
(Thea leaves.)
Oliver (to Roy): "What the hell was that?"
Roy: "You think you're the only person who can stand up for Thea?"
Oliver: "I'm trying to figure out why you're standing up to me!"
Diggle: "All right, maybe we just need to throttle back."
Felicity: "No. We need this. Oliver, you were gone. Dead. At least we thought you were, and we had to go on with our lives. And doing that meant not doing things your way." 
Oliver: "Fine! I'm back now."
Felicity: "That doesn't mean that we can go back. And you do not have the right to come back here and question everyone's choices."
Oliver: "Just let me know if there's any change in her condition." (Leaves)

313 (Canaries) – Felicity tells Laurel that she should stop trying to be Sara and just be herself:
Felicity: "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, hey."
Laurel: "Hey... Hi."
Felicity: "How are you feeling?"
Laurel: "When Zytle hit me with Vertigo, I - I saw Sara. She was alive. And she was calling me a fraud. I was crazy to think that I was fit to wear Sara's jacket. Much less follow in her footsteps."
Felicity: "You're right. I hope I'm not out of line here, but... I think Sara wore her mask just as much to hide her demons as she did to help people. And I don't see that with you. You have a light inside of you that Sara never had. So... maybe you should stop trying to be Sara, and just be yourself."
Laurel: "Thank you." (They hug)
(Computer beeps.)
Laurel: "What's that?"
Felicity: "One of the chemical drums Zytle stole tonight just sent out a GPS signal."
Laurel: "Why?"
Felicity: "'Cause he just opened it."

313 (Canaries) – Oliver takes Laurel into the field with him, while Diggle stays behind in the Arrowcave with Felicity:
Felicity: "Daggett Pharmaceuticals. 5th and Kingsley. Looks like Zytle found a place to change those chemicals into some new Vertigo.  And he's got hostages."
Oliver: "Where's Roy?"
Diggle: "I can't reach him." 
Laurel: “Oliver. There isn't anything that you can say to me that I don't already know.”
Oliver: “Actually, there is.”
(Oliver and Laurel enter and disrupt Zytle's lab work.)
Oliver: "Werner Zytle. This ends now."
Zytle: "As you wish! May I suggest a grand finale - chlorine triflouride." (Throws vial onto ground which starts a fire.)
Felicity (over comms): "Oliver, I'm registering an enormous spike in thermal activity."
Diggle (over comms): "Oliver, the whole place is going to blow."
Felicity (over comms): "You have to get out of there!"
Felicity (over comms): "Oliver, are you there?"
Oliver: "It's over."
Felicity (over comms): "No, it's not. You have to get home. It's Thea."

313 (Canaries) – Laurel finally tells her father about Sara's death:
(Quentin is having his blood pressure checked. The doctor leaves as Laurel arrives.)
Quentin: “Hey.”
Laurel: “Is everything okay?”
Quetin: “Oh, yeah, just the usual insurance policy search and seizure. Seems like I'm a high risk case. I wonder what gave them that idea. What's the matter? You okay?”
Laurel (tearfully): “Um. There's, um - there's something that I have to tell you. And I didn't tell you - I didn't tell you before, because I was worried about your health. But I realize that - that you deserve to know.”
Quentin: “I already know it. Sara's off God-knows-where, and yet there's another blonde In a mask running around tuning up the bad guys. And it's you, isn't it? (Laurel is crying) Sweetheart, come on. It's all right. It's okay. It's okay, honey. I mean, look, I am pissed as hell. But, you know, we'll figure it out. We figure out everything.”
Laurel (crying): “No. No, no, Daddy, that - that isn't what I was going to tell you. What I was going to tell you is about Sara.”
Quentin (stunned): “No.” (Drops down into his chair)
Laurel: “Dad.”
Quentin: “No. No.”
Laurel: “Dad - Daddy, I'm sorry.”
Quentin (crying): “Not my baby. Not again.”

313 (Canaries) – Oliver tells his team that he has to leave, but just for a few days:
Felicity: "So you're leaving again?"
Diggle: "She's got a point, man. You just got back."
Oliver: "It's just for a few days. Ordinarily, I wouldn't do this. But it's for Thea. And if you've shown me anything, it's that the city is more than safe in your hands. (Looks at Laurel) All of your hands."
Laurel: "Thank you."

Edited by tv echo