Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Light Of Day

Callie decides to try a new tactic with Robert while Brandon aims to convince the band that his mom’s rules can work for everyone. News about Ana’s situation gives Mariana an idea that would affect the entire Adams Foster family. Meanwhile, Jude tries to make amends with Connor and agrees to go on a group date.

News about Ana’s situation gives Mariana an idea that would affect the entire Adams Foster family

Don't you dare get any ideas of getting your moms to adopt that baby Mariana. Don't you dare!

• Love 2

I was wondering why we got the flashback to Callie's friend taking her daughter in the previouslies, so at the end when the cops came to talk to her I was really surprised.  That is so not going to end well.

Edited by KaveDweller

I'm really frustrated with how they're dragging out this Connor/Jude storyline. Can we get an episode that focuses just on Jude and whatever it is that's going on in his life? Because he's amazing.

That said, I really liked the little girl who played his date. Taylor? She was excellent. I hope we see more of her. If Jude comes out can he become her gay BFF? The actress who played Connor's date was too fake for me, but maybe that's how the character was written.

Brandon had better make the smart choice and go to the piano genius camp instead of on tour.

Will the writers ever give Jesus a storyline that's not about his girlfriend, ex-girlfriend, or girls at all besides his sister, moms, and birth mother? I was thinking they were going to give him an eating disorder storyline, but then they didn't. And the storyline with his ADHD and medication disappeared and never really got resolved that I remember. They could have done more with that.

I'm tired of the whole Callie and the Quinns thing. How much parenting can Robert expect to do with a 16-year-old, especially one who is perfectly happy with the two parents she already has and doesn't want/need another one? She's willing to have a relationship with him, but she has two perfectly good moms to parent her already! I hope they come to a decision by the season finale and don't drag it out for another season.

I liked that they mentioned Sophia is in a hospital setting getting treatment. That's encouraging. I assume they diagnosed her with Borderline Personality Disorder, which surprised me, but makes sense based on what we know about her and the diagnostic criteria. The medication mentioned has to be for her depression, since there is no medication for BPD. I'm glad she's in a hospital setting since antidepressants in teenagers can cause a higher risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Okay, I'm taking off my therapist hat now.

I'm intrigued by Ana asking Stef and Lena to parent her baby. I missed almost all of Mariana and Ana's conversation due to technical difficulties, so I didn't know that was coming, even though the storyline is obvious based on the situation. I think it will be a really interesting storyline. I wonder, if they say no, would Ana make a different adoption plan, or just try to raise the baby on her own?

I think that's covered everything.  

I just cannot with Brandon. How has the music teacher not told Lena about this summer thing yet? If he doesn't go to the summer piano camp, he will officially be dumber than Jesus. 

Mariana, your house may seem like an open invitation home for wayward kids, but it really isn't. That was awful of her to go and make that suggestion to Ana. But this would give Lena the baby she wanted, so maybe they will? And then it will get really weird with a baby around all the time.

Those two actors acted the heck out of that pinky touch. That was some of the best emoting I've seen on tv in a long, long time.

Taylor needs to stay and be a regular character, because she's great. And Jude needs more friends. But is it just me, or does Connor suddenly look three years older than him?

What the heck is happening with that toy doll? Sure, the checkout lady at the store is going to remember who she sold a toy dog (which what, looked like a Happy Meal toy in that plastic bag?) to a few months ago, because it's not like she has a lot of customers or anything. This is about as plausible a criminal investigation as half of Scotland Yard heading out to Downton Abbey every week to question people on a two-year old accidental death of a servant.

• Love 3

Oh hell, my fear of Mariana wanting Stef and Lena to adopt Ana's baby

has happened!! Crap!! they better politely say NO THANKS!

So Principal what's her name and Lena. I have a feeling it's headed somewhere I don't want. definitely got some weird vibe in their scene. Everyone else see something brewing? Or am I the last one to know?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 6

Those two actors acted the heck out of that pinky touch. That was some of the best emoting I've seen on tv in a long, long time.

Taylor needs to stay and be a regular character, because she's great. And Jude needs more friends. But is it just me, or does Connor suddenly look three years older than him?

Puberty, man.  The actor who plays Jude is 14 and Connor is 15.

• Love 2

Fantastic episode!

- Absolutely loved the Stef/Mike fight... not because I want things to be bad between them but because it was just so well done. Same with the Callie/Robert dinner fight... man, this show does a fight right. I think Stef going to Mike's sponsor kinda suggests that they shouldn't be partnering up again, lol. And Callie calling Robert for help, I wonder what her rationale was... because despite it all, she knows he's her dad, or because he's loaded and can probably take care of this? I feel like it's the latter.

- I think many of us saw the "Stef and Lena adopting Ana's baby" thing coming a mile away. *sigh* I guess it's because she's an addict and is insecure but it seemed pretty quick, Ana going right to them with that proposition. I don't like the idea of them adopting Ana's baby, especially after they lost Frankie... though I do get the emotional draw of having the baby be with her siblings.

- I felt like they were hinting at a little something-something starting between Ana and Mike, and the fact that he avoided mentioning any of what he was doing to his sponsor proves how monumentally bad this setup is. I also feel like they're setting something up with Lena and Monty and that's even worse... don't go there!

- I'm glad Brandon seems to be opening up to the Idyllwild idea, and not because his parents found out and they're making him do it. It sucks that his band (and girlfriend) would ditch him but it's understandable, that they couldn't come up with cash like that. I wonder why all their parents are so chill about them crashing wherever, though.

- Part of me was disappointed that there was no apology from Connor for calling Jude a little bitch but they're so middle school (which is one of the reasons why I adore everything Jude and Connor). I remember constantly fighting with my BFF, writing notes about how much we hated each other!!!! and then two days later, we were made up, no problem, lmfao. So although I really would have liked Connor to own up to that crappy comment, I understand how two 13 year olds were able to gloss right over it.

As for the pinkies... !!! How is it that something so simple can cause so much squealing on my part? LOL! So cute, the actors killed it, and the movie dialogue in the background was perfect. And that camping trip gets more and more intriguing by the week because if a little pinky hug was a big moment for them, well... what did they do in the tent then?! LOL!

The girl Jude was paired up with, Taylor, was super cute, and I loved her little sarcastic attitude. Jude needs more friends than just Connor, so I hope she sticks around. I really liked her. Cracked up at Jude asking, "so how long have they been... boos?" Be more precious, please.

- Nice callback with the store cashier, though I have to say, I really can't stand her deadpanning so I hope that's the last we see of her. When she looked at Callie's card, I thought the store was going to press charges against Jude for stealing the bracelet (even though he returned/paid for it), not that the kidnapping thing would come back. I'm glad it did, as it was ridiculous that the little girl was returned with no issue like that. But that store must not get a lot of action, if she could remember that Callie bought that particular toy. How'd the cops know the toy came from that store in the first place?

- I wonder why Mat wasn't pleased about Mariana coming on tour with them.

- I thought Jake T. was much better in this episode, considering how painfully bad he was in last week's. Glad he and Emma won't be getting back together.

• Love 2

Where to begin? How about the good? Jude! Seriously, we need more Jude. That scene with him and Connor was pretty great. It's definitely a slow burn, but I am enjoying where it's going. Or at least where I hope it's going.

Now, onto the bad. Jesus, just no. Please don't be giving anyone, but especially adorable Jude, dating advice. I mean, showing your ex girlfriend who obviously still has feelings for you the tattoo you got for the girl you hooked up with two seconds after breaking up with her? So so stupid. The stupid decisions hurt. Yeah, you're definitely not the contender for running any sort of Love Line in your household, buddy, k?

And Mariana. A) Going on tour with Mat is not a good idea. B) Asking Lena and Stef to adopt Ana's baby is even less of a good idea. Teenagers. But that being said, Mat is a really great boyfriend, although supporting her going on tour with them when it's obvious he doesn't want her to is going to blow up in his face. 

I also was picking up on some weird vibes with Lena and Monte. I'm hoping it's just me being paranoid because I'm so over cheating storylines or third party storylines in general. 

I am glad it seems like Brandon is coming around to the conservatory. I'm kind of over his band arc. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 3

Overall a solid episode and the theater sequence was well done. 

I wish Jesus would go on a tour.   One of those neverending ones.  Every 5 episodes they can have a line where the Moms go well Jesus is having fun in Alaska. 

• Love 7

My guess is that the Lena and Monty scene is not leading to Lena cheating -- but to Monty listening to Lena and giving her someone to talk to since Stef seems to be too preoccupied with Mike and his issues to listen to Lena's comments about her day, etc... Stef, of course, will be jealous of their friendship and closeness.

• Love 4

I was a little bored during this one, but I did like certain scenes. The fight between Mike and Stef was really good. I also enjoyed Callie's dinner with Robert. Kerr Smith is a really great addition to the cast and I buy Robert's love for Callie.

Onto the stuff that bugged: I am sick of SLS related drama. The word "tour" throws me out of the scenes every time because it's not believable that these relatively young kids would be able to throw something like that together.

I fast forwarded Mat/Mariana and Jesus/Emma, but I did manage to see Mariana's oddly matronly outfit when I paused on her scene with Ana. The adoption thing was a pretty bold move (even though it was predictable). I want Ana to get stronger and be able to take care of her own kid. Mariana is not an adult, and she overstepped her bounds by talking to Ana that way imo.

• Love 3
I wish Jesus would go on a tour.   One of those neverending ones.  Every 5 episodes they can have a line where the Moms go well Jesus is having fun in Alaska.

Sounds good to me. I'll take up a collection!  :)  Too bad you have to suffer with that stupid tattoo removal kid! Not!   I love that joke they were making about it too. "Epic Faily" or something like that.

My guess is that the Lena and Monty scene is not leading to Lena cheating -- but to Monty listening to Lena and giving her someone to talk to since Stef seems to be too preoccupied with Mike and his issues to listen to Lena's comments about her day, etc... Stef, of course, will be jealous of their friendship and closeness.

Hmmm, maybe. But Stef and Lena have been at odds for one thing or another in every ep, so I wouldn't be surprised if maybe Lena would may have a not good judgment moment; not saying she would full out cheat,but maybe come close to it then think, what the hell am I doing?! Or maybe in a trope-y tv scene, Stef walks in just in time to see Lena is having that moment. That could be a cliffhangery season finale of some sort.

Mariana, in what universe do you think Stef and Lena will actually let you go on tour with your boyfriend and his band? The answer? you're insane!

Glad he and Emma won't be getting back together

Me too. And I love that she wasn't having any of his, whatever...Jesus-ness when he actually went it for a kiss!!!

his facial expressions in that one scene in the movie theater.  Holy crap.

Agreed. I totally bought whatever they were selling, especially Jude's reaction.   I wonder what kind of direction they got? Because it really looked like they felt some sort of excitement from a just a touch.

Absolutely loved the Stef/Mike fight... not because I want things to be bad between them but because it was just so well done.
  ITA! I really felt both their anger so they sold it well.   
Same with the Callie/Robert dinner fight... man, this show does a fight right.

It seems to be one step forward and two steps back for those two.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1
Brandon had better make the smart choice and go to the piano genius camp instead of on tour.

It sounds like they are not even on an official tour, just driving around trying to get gigs out of town.  Which explains why a bunch of teenagers are going "on tour"

How'd the cops know the toy came from that store in the first place?

I was wondering about that, was it some special customized toy?

• Love 2

The DirecTV feed was messed up for both the original airing and the repeat at 10pm here, so I didn't get to see this episode, and it's killing me! Does anyone know ifg they usually make it available on line, and how long we have to wait for that to happen? I've never had this problem before so I never looked.

ABCFamily also usually shows the last episode an hour or two before the new episode each week, so there might be that chance to see it on tv.

I mean, showing your ex girlfriend who obviously still has feelings for you the tattoo you got for the girl you hooked up with two seconds after breaking up with her? So so stupid.

I thought so too, but then Emma's explanation of it brought me around to thinking he's a lot more intuitive than he's given credit for. She basically said "You're showing me this to make me think you're gross and stupid so I won't be attracted to you at all and you'll know I'm not and then all the romance is out of the way and we'll just be friends?" and he was all "Yup", and I thought "that's brilliant". She says she can't be around him if he's going to keep thinking they can make something more out of it, so he responds by nuking that possibility out of orbit so she can be assured he won't try anything any more. 

Still can't get over that pinky acting. Brought me right back to that teenage feeling when you realize someone you like might like you back in that way, and how thrilling and scaring and intoxicating it is. 

• Love 2

This show.  They do some things SO RIGHT (the pinky hug! I remember doing things like that in middle school when you liked someone!) and then some things SO WRONG (the checkout girl is going to remember every single item she ever sold?! And unless that's the only store in all of San Diego, there is NO WAY they'd be able to trace that toy to what appears to be a consignment shop.)

I hope that Callie tells Lena and Stef about this with a quickness though, because otherwise that is going to cause a whole 'other thing.  

And as for Mariana, hoo boy.  Teenage brain thinks that her parents adopting the baby is a perfect solution (of course), but it's the adult acting that's killing it - Ana is so insecure and so damaged and so guilty about her own past that she's not really that much further along, emotionally, than Mariana.  

And what on earth is Mike going to say about all of this? You know he's going to jump to the immediate conclusion that Stef bullied Ana somehow to get her to do this.

As for Lena and Monte (Monty?), I hope we're not going down a cheating road.  But an "emotional affair" - a platonic, but serious relationship - that could be interesting to watch.

• Love 1

The DirecTV feed was messed up for both the original airing and the repeat at 10pm here, so I didn't get to see this episode, and it's killing me! Does anyone know ifg they usually make it available on line, and how long we have to wait for that to happen? I've never had this problem before so I never looked.

possibilities, unfortunately last time I tried the ABC Family app to watch an episode, it turned out that DirecTV was one of the providers that ABC didn't have an arrangement with to show episodes.  Don't know if that is changed or if online is different.  But they do almost always show the previous week's episode right before the new episode on Monday nights (7pm EST) on ABCF. If you get really desperate and have iTunes, you can always plunk down $2 or $3 and download the new episode, they are usually up in the iTunes store about 24-48 hours after airtime.

- Absolutely loved the Stef/Mike fight... not because I want things to be bad between them but because it was just so well done. Same with the Callie/Robert dinner fight... man, this show does a fight right.

+1 to this.  I really liked that Callie/Robert conversation, and it was an example of what they do very well on this show, that is dialogue that is not only real but tends not to pick sides for the audience.  That conversation was so promising, and then it just derailed out of control.  I do like how Callie called Robert out on his schtick - this is a man who is used to being able to make whatever reality he wishes possible because he has always had the means to do so.  He wants to be a belated parent, but he can't just snap his fingers or dial up his lawyer and win Callie over that easily.  The casual way he just talked about how he would have adopted Jude too if he had known or he would give Jude his own room shows how much he is out of his element.  (Also, IMO Kerr Smith is doing a nice job with adding layers to what could have been just a cliche antagonist character).

Other thoughts:

- I did not see the twist with the police showing up at Callie's work coming at all.  I had a feeling the storyline wasn't done because they kept teasing it, but it didn't occur to me that they would actually go the route of putting Callie in legal jeopardy - I should have known better.

- The cool thing about the twist was having Callie choose to call Robert instead of Stef and Lena - there are so many extra dimensions added to the plot because of that choice.  I don't blame Callie for doing it - these are probably higher legal stakes for Callie than anything that has happened to date, and he obviously has the means to deal with the system better than Stef and Lena do - but my guess is that she is going to feel enormous guilt over it.  And it will be interesting to see how Robert deals with this as he tries to build a relationship with Callie, and whether he takes the unselfish road as this plays out.

- Geez, Brandon's musician ego is getting a little out of control isn't it?  That's a criticism of the character of course, not the writers - it makes perfect sense that he would get a little big for his britches ("How are you going to play my songs if I'm not on the tour?"... LOL).

- That scene where he finally overcomes the injury was nice though - my prediction is this "tour" thing falls apart, considering he may be warming up to Idyllwild and now we have Marianna trying to crash the party.

- Speaking of which, Marianna you are fast becoming the most enjoyable character of this season...

- I know we are all squishy and "AWWW" about the Jude/Connor developments (again, the acting in that theater scene was brilliant), but I am nervous this whole thing will not end well.  Connor is not willing to admit his feelings openly and he does not have the loving, supportive household that Jude does to make it possible.  At some point Jude's heart is going to be broken - that "don't be such a little bitch" comment by Connor a couple episodes ago was a warning sign.  This is such an obviously personal storyline for the show's creators and they have taken such care in crafting it, that I think they are going to make sure that the story progresses in a realistic and plausible way.  And unfortunately I don't think that means a fairytale path for these two.

• Love 3

I wonder if Stef and Lena are really going to adopt Ana's baby. Also, who is the father? Maybe they look at this baby girl as the baby they should've had, but lost when 

Frankie died?  This was a good episode. I <3 Jude and Connor. I hope their relationship blossoms. 

• Love 1
I thought so too, but then Emma's explanation of it brought me around to thinking he's a lot more intuitive than he's given credit for. She basically said "You're showing me this to make me think you're gross and stupid so I won't be attracted to you at all and you'll know I'm not and then all the romance is out of the way and we'll just be friends?" and he was all "Yup", and I thought "that's brilliant". She says she can't be around him if he's going to keep thinking they can make something more out of it, so he responds by nuking that possibility out of orbit so she can be assured he won't try anything any more.

That is true. But he did try to kiss her first. So, I don't know. All I know is Jesus and Brandon take turns for me in the "who is more insufferable this episode" Olympics. It's a hard feat to choose between the two of them sometimes I tell you! 

• Love 1

That scene between Jude and Connor was straight out of Jane Austen. The touch of a hand, the heaving chests and quickened pulse, the secrecy...oh how I swoon.

Geez Ana. Mariana tells you what she thinks you should do with your baby and you just go along with it?! Come on, people can we be a little realistic. This isn't a puppy and the family is already dealing with Callie's situation. How about we don't let the 14 year old act set the agenda?

Brandon, stop being a tool and go to Idyllwild.

• Love 2

I like that they are consistent in writing Jesus as one of the dumbest people on the planet. When he went in for the kiss, I laughed. Such an idiot.

The cinema scene was some good acting. I echo above praise for Jude's beard. I liked her nervous snark. She needs to stick around and be a friend to Jude.

I know we are all squishy and "AWWW" about the Jude/Connor developments (again, the acting in that theater scene was brilliant), but I am nervous this whole thing will not end well.

Yeah, having two teenaged girls as "cover" for a secret budding romance between Connor and Jude seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  A teenage girl "scorned" is nothing to mess with, if Connor's girl figures it out.  It will be all over the school by lunch - she seems to really like Connor and she will not be happy to think she's being used as a beard.

Edited by izabella

Did anyone else get an initial weird vibe from StoreClerkGirl in that scene where Callie buys the earrings?  For a second, it was as if a witch from one of the CW shows had walked on to the wrong studio lot and put a hex on that bracelet or the earrings or something, the way she stared after Callie.  It threw me trying to figure that out until the cops showed up at the end.

I also read in some sub-text between Lena and Monty.  And since we have learned from experience that there is never any throw-any dialogue or scenes in Fosters-land, I smell trouble looming.

What made that movie theater scene so thrilling was the way Hayden captured every emotion you feel at that age the first time someone you like returns your affections, and he did all of it completely with his facial expression.  Awesome stuff.

Edited by imustbecrazy
  • Love 2

I want to meet Connor's mom. All we know about her is that she gets migraines when he brings friends over. His parents are divorced right? I assume that it was his mom who helped Connor paint his nails to support Jude. I feel like he would have at least one supportive parent if he came out.

Ever notice that the other parents (aside from Stef and Lena) on this show are all kind of … crap? There was Lexi's parents LITERALLY LOCKING HER AWAY when she found out she had sex with Jesus, and then hatching a scheme to send her to some crazy boarding school.  (All while hiding that they were undocumented immigrants.)  You have Wyatt's parents who apparently feel fine about leaving him to wander California, sleeping in his car, to be with his One Twoo Wuv while they move to Ohio or wherever.  You have the parents of the kid that beat up Brandon, covering for him and bullying the school administration to not punish him after selling fake IDs.  You have Connor's dad, who hits him (and is, regardless of his protestations to the contrary, a total homophobe).  You have Mariana's first boyfriend's mom, who was suffering from Alzheimer's (not that that makes her a bad person, but not a great parent - didn't she hit her son in the face with an iron?).  You have the parents of the band, who are all ok with their kids "touring" and "crashing wherever".  Sophia's parents have remained in the dark about their daughter's personality disorder, even though I think there have been some red flags.  The other foster parents that have been shown have been abusive (Jude and Callie's initial placement) or drug dealers (the most recent placement for Kiara).

It just seems unbelievable to me that there are no other decent parents anywhere in this show's universe, especially when the kids' lives are centered around a school like Anchor Beach, where you'd expect the parents to be pretty involved.  I mean, highlighting the greatness of Stef and Lena is all well and good, but really? The only other positive parental figure in the whole show is Rosie O'Donnell?

Edited by maraleia
changed illegal to undocumented
  • Love 5

But, uh, what about these poor girls getting hagged against their will?

I love you Allison Lowe Huff! Hayden B. and the kid who plays Connor acted the hell out of that pinky touch scene.

I think many of us saw the "Stef and Lena adopting Ana's baby" thing coming a mile away.

You did? I feel dumb, but this was a total shock to me. And it’s such a bad idea.

So Principal what's her name and Lena. I have a feeling it's headed somewhere I don't want. definitely got some weird vibe in their scene. Everyone else see something brewing? Or am I the last one to know?

I think the show is definitely throwing out all kinds of vibes about this pair, and I do not like it. Is the principal a lesbian? Has that been established and I didn’t pay attention? I felt like they were purposely not using any pronouns when she was talking about her divorce etc. Also? Her name is Monty? The hell?

Please show, DO NOT HAVE LENA CHEAT ON STEF!!!

Nice callback with the store cashier, though I have to say, I really can't stand her deadpanning so I hope that's the last we see of her. When she looked at Callie's card, I thought the store was going to press charges against Jude for stealing the bracelet (even though he returned/paid for it), not that the kidnapping thing would come back. I'm glad it did, as it was ridiculous that the little girl was returned with no issue like that. But that store must not get a lot of action, if she could remember that Callie bought that particular toy. How'd the cops know the toy came from that store in the first place?

I didn’t remember that Jude had gone back and paid for the bracelet, so I totally thought that the store clerk was going to make trouble for Jude or Callie about that.

But holy crap, I have so many effin’ issues with this storyline!! First of all, that dumb toy dog or whatever the hell it is would not be able to be traced back to that stupid vintage store! And I’m sorry, unless the clerk has a mad crush on Callie and has been stalking her, there’s no way she would remember that it was Callie who bought it. Also, was it established that Callie paid for either of these second-hand store purchases with a credit card? I could’ve sworn she paid cash for both, which they wouldn’t have been able to trace, but I guess I’m wrong about the card.

And finally, I knew Callie was calling Robert, and I cringed when she did it. This whole thing is going to be a shitshow.

Does Robert even know about the Girls United (was that what they were called?) girls?  Is this going to give him leverage to take Callie from Stef and Lena, since they were "obviously BAD, BAD foster parents" to have allowed Callie to help someone who had kidnapped her child?  Nothing about this bodes well for anyone.

• Love 1

Regarding the band "tour" - Have they ever had a gig? If they need to raise money to pay for motels, why not raise it by shows in town before they leave?  And how are they planning on lining up shows if they have no history of performing in public?

• Love 1

Does Robert even know about the Girls United (was that what they were called?) girls?

He knows about Girls United, as we saw them host the fundraiser at their house at the end of last... half season? Season 2A? Whatever they call it.  I can't be on board with the Dog Toy Caper.  Even if Callie paid with a debit/credit card, it's a CONSIGNMENT STORE - they must have an extremely sophisticated inventory control system if they can pinpoint that a small plastic toy matching that description was sold to Callie.  There had to be a better way to set up this story than that.

Also, @LisaM: You're right! Jenna and Kelly were good parents! An exception to the rule.  

• Love 1

I liked most of last night's episode. It's too bad that TPTB can't take a page from soap operas and send Jesus upstairs to the attic never to be seen again. I like Emma and would like to see more scenes with Emma and Mariana, the smart girls. She is wasted on Jesus.

I really liked the Callie/Robert scene where Callie was trying to follow Jude's advice and get along with Robert. I liked how she tried to craft a solution which would make her happy - being adopted by the Fosters and still hanging out with Robert. At least she isn't being passive and allowing the system to just dictate her life without trying to negotiate through it. I think it is clear that Robert would be ill equipped to parent a child who has been as damaged as Callie has been. He is surely well-meaning but his blind eye to what Sophia was going through doesn't bode well for him. Hopefully the end result will be almost as Callie suggested: being adopted by the Fosters but having Robert involved as well although not necessarily in a parental role. I did like seeing Callie being so affectionate with both Stef and Lena when Robert came to pick her up. That was new for her.

As for Callie calling Robert when the detectives came to question her: I'm not sure if she called Robert because she thinks he is connected and can make this go away or because she wants to keep this a secret from Stef and Lena for some reason. If it is the latter, that is really stupid because they are her legal guardians. I agree with those above who said that the cops tracking down Callie through the plastic dog is ridiculous. Also - when did Callie get a credit card?

I like Mat and Mariana together but I thought the "I love you" from Mat came awfully quickly. I am also a bit suspicious of how he reacted when Mariana said that she wanted to go on tour. Speaking of going on tour, I find that whole storyline to be ridiculous and very OOC for Stef, Lena and Mike to agree to let Brandon go. I do think he will end up at Idlywyld with his newly regained classical skills.

I had predicted that Ana would end up asking Stef and Lena to adopt the baby. Having 15 year old Mariana engineer this - without first talking to Stef and Lena to see if they were on board - was a bit nuts but, given Mariana's damaged childhood due to Ana, not unrealistic. An out of left field thought: perhaps Callie will think that the house will be so overcrowded with a new baby that she will decide to move in with Robert?

As for Stef/Lena: I see them as Coach and Tami Taylor so I don't think that TPTB are going for a cheating situation. We've seen Stef be so preoccupied with Mike's life that she is not listening to Lena so I could easily see Monty being a sympathetic ear for Lena. They have carefully not divulged Monty's sexuality so we don't yet know if she would even be interested in Lena. Regardless, I think that Stef will be jealous of Lena and Monty's emotional closeness - but not for any other reason.

Jude/Connor: wonderfully done. Looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

Regarding the band "tour" - Have they ever had a gig? If they need to raise money to pay for motels, why not raise it by shows in town before they leave?

They were playing at some restaurant/bar the first time we saw them.  I don't get why they are going on a multi week tour if they haven't set up any actual gigs? Why not try and get gigs further away from town and go away for a couple of nights if successful?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but them talking about "crashing wherever" seems like a terrible risky idea.ybe I'm just getting old, but them talking about "crashing wherever" seems like a terrible risky idea.

I'm probably wrong...but I felt a little bit like the two beards Connor and Jude were going on a "date" with were conspiring with Connor to get him and Jude together. Everything just happened a little too conveniently. 

The show-runners are milking the hell out of the only thing that Jesus is good for: keeping the teen female viewers interested.  Featuring him without a top as often as possible, and having him go from girl-to-girl is sure to keep them wanting more, despite the fact that the guy cannot act. 

Edited by Zima
I think it is clear that Robert would be ill equipped to parent a child who has been as damaged as Callie has been. He is surely well-meaning but his blind eye to what Sophia was going through doesn't bode well for him. Hopefully the end result will be almost as Callie suggested: being adopted by the Fosters but having Robert involved as well although not necessarily in a parental role. I did like seeing Callie being so affectionate with both Stef and Lena when Robert came to pick her up. That was new for her.

I think it's pretty harsh to suggest that a father isn't suitable to take care of his child because his other child had a mental illness that she managed to keep hidden.

What about Lena and Stef? Their response to the situation with Brandon and Callie was to basically say, "Oh, hey, you're totally brother and sister now." And then ignoring it. Which eventually led to her running away and getting arrested. Mariana stole pills and sold them at school. Brandon was part of selling fake IDs* and bribed Anna. I do think that they're good parents, but they've missed a lot of serious things that were going on with their kids until it blew up in their faces too. I'm not sure that they've shown themselves to be particularly adept at dealing with a troubled teenager themselves.

As for Callie, she's all about wanting to be part of the Adams-Fosters as a family, but as soon as things look like they're not going to work out she and Brandon are making out again. Maybe the Adams-Foster house really isn't the healthiest place for her to be.

*Honestly, given that Brandon lied and told the police that he framed Callie for the fake id thing because she rejected him, I've always found it highly questionable that she's even been allowed to continue living in their house at all.
  • Love 1

Callie tries to hold onto what she can. But when she's felt like she has the say, as opposed to what she wants just getting ripped away from her, she always chooses Stef and Lena. I like Robert more now than I did before, but Callie already turned down an opportunity to be with another man who was the father figure in her life when she was growing up. If she picked Stef and Lena over him, she's going to pick them over Robert. I understand Robert's feelings and the way all this went down with him not knowing that he even had this other daughter out there means that the situation he finds himself in now is not fair, but he's refusing to compromise and he's causing Callie a lot of trauma as a result when she's already suffered more than enough in her life, and given her age, frankly, her wishes matter more. She has moms she wants to be adopted by. She's open to spending time with him and building a relationship as long as he doesn't fuck up the adoption, and if he just went along with that she would probably eventually grow to consider him her father and think of herself as having three parents. But he, like Sophia, still acts more like Callie is a possession than a person with her own feelings, and does things that takes away her agency, and that needs to change.

I found her calling Robert at the end a bit forced, for the sake of dragging out the drama of "who will Callie pick in the end, Stef/Lena or Robert?" I get the rationale that he's super rich and so can be useful in that way, but Stef is a cop and the other cops would likely back off upon learning Callie is a cop's kid. Cops look out for each other. So I find it hard to believe that Callie didn't try Stef first.

I liked the Mariana/Ana story. I got where Mariana was coming from - yes, she's a teenager and it was all hugely presumptuous of her, but that's the thing, she is a teenager and that's what teenagers do - get overly emotional and presumptuously think that it's up to them to fix shit rather than letting the actual adults take care of business. She understandably does not believe Ana can be a good mother and she's worried about her unborn sibling and doesn't want the sibling to go through what she and Jesus went through. Of course she comes up with the "brilliant" idea of having Stef and Lena adopt the baby. It felt exactly like what a teenager would come up with. And Ana's reaction I also found very realistic - she hasn't been sober for long and her confidence and self-esteem are frail, definitely still at a level easily shattered by having the daughter she wronged so deeply show up and tell her she's not capable of being a good mother. She's not going to think about the fact that Mariana is a teenager who isn't necessarily qualified to assess the competency of a recovering addict, she's just going to think about all the experiences Mariana had that led to her saying that, and freak out.

The finger-holding in the movie theater was amazing. So wonderfully done by both actors, and big props to the directing as well. Also, I know Jesus is a total idiot, but I did love the big-brother moment where he taught Jude about cologne.

• Love 5

That scene between Jude and Connor was straight out of Jane Austen. The touch of a hand, the heaving chests and quickened pulse, the secrecy...oh how I swoon.

Okay, for real it's a little embarrassing how swoony I, a 34-year-old woman, was at that little pinky clutch. Like, Jude's reaction? (Which was so well acted, I thought.) Had nothing on my reaction. 

But then later I found myself wondering about what Connor's thinking and feeling here. Mostly I wonder how spontaneous that was. Was Connor just playing along with that girl? He described her as "hot" to Jude, and yet when they did go out he seemed to totally disregard her in favor of touching pinkies with Jude. Was it only when sitting there next to Jude that he started to feel something? I guess knowing more detail about their history (i.e. did more happen in the tent than we've been informed of) might help. It read spontaneous to me, but thinking back to it now I feel less sure.

At any rate, I really like the girl who was Jude's "date" for the movies and hope she sticks around. 

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2

I couldn't believe it when they said the tour was only three weeks! summer is like 10 weeks long. Why can't Brandon do music camp and tour with the band? Mariana is seriously going to dump a guy because he'll be gone three weeks? The way they were all talking about it I thought we were talking about all summer.

I also can't believe they would be going on tour at all. They're in high school, where can they play? Seems like they should just play near where they live and then maybe occasionally go on overnights to play somewhere within driving distance. How are they doing an organized tour?

So I forget, what did Callie actually do with respect to the kidnapping? She helped her friend return the kid without getting caught, right? So could she be charged as an accessory or something? I don't know - she didn't actually help kidnap her but she did arguably help cover it up. Seems like they could either throw the book at her or be understanding. I didn't remember the toy, did they show her buying it for the kid in the previous episode?

• Love 1

Am I terrible if I feel like Daphne's daughter might be better off with the stable couple who want to adopt her and who she's used to living with and probably bonded with and thinks of as her parents, than with the teenage mother who is still trying to get her life together?

Though, I wish they'd at least be able to do some kind of open adoption so Daphne can keep on having visitation and stuff. It doesn't seem fair to cut her out completely, either.

I didn't remember the toy, did they show her buying it for the kid in the previous episode?

Callie bought the little dog toy at Christmas time and gave it to Daphne (who, in turn, gave it to the kid).  I think we saw all of that in the Christmas flashback episode.  But wasn't Brandon also along for the ride in returning the kid to the foster family? I wish they hadn't taken this storyline in this direction - it was interesting (and problematic) enough when Daphne was just spying on the little girl at the park and talking to/playing with her without taking the additional (CRAZYPANTS) step to kidnapping her.

Wouldn't the police have interviewed Daphne right away? I mean, you have a foster kid whose mom hasn't been allowed visitation and lives nearby, go missing for what, like part of a day, and then be returned unharmed? Surely the police would immediately think the birth mom was the most likely person to have done that? 

• Love 4