Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: What Happened, And What's Going On

halgia
  • Start Topic

I don't count obvious villains or outsiders who have almost overwhelmingly been white men.

Very true. AFAIK, all the terrifyingly evil people - the sadistic murdering cannibals, leering rape-y cops, murderous rednecks, pedo creep, baby killers and the maniacal (AND sadistic AND rape-y) would-be dictator have been white males.

Maybe one wasn't and I'm not remembering clearly? That's quite possible.

• Love 2

The show doesn't take place in Random, USA. It takes place in Georgia where the demographics are very different than the national average.

This actually turned out fascinating.

Georgia demographics are very different from the national average.

Whites are 59.7% of the population.

Blacks are 30.5 %

Asians are 3.2%

Hispanic/Latino are 8.8%.

Applied to 14 people, the group considered as residents of Georgia, should have 8.35 whites, 4.27 blacks, and 1.2 Hispanic/Latinos

Which is pretty close to the numbers in the cast: 8 white characters, 4 black, and 1 Hispanic/Latino.

Until you get to Asian. It got even worse for poor Glenn. By percentages expected with Georgia demographics, out of 14 people, only .448 should be Asian.

That's even worse than just 3/4ths of a person.

Otherwise though, pretty close.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 10

I found that sadder too and I think that's why Tyrese reacted so strongly when looking at those pictures on the wall and around the room.

I didn't rewatch, but it seemed that in most of those pictures that one brother was smiling and happy and the other looked angry and miserable. I actually wondered if they were going evil-twin-serial-killer or something since the one was making such faces in all of the pictures! Since they were twins, it may have represented Tyrese's dual personality of pre- and post-ZA. He was happy before, and is definitely not now.

The thing is, you're right in terms of sheer numbers dead. But when you consider how few black characters there are or have been, then it's a giant percentage.

Rick's group is a bit like a mini-ecosystem. My research study(*) indicates that the carrying capacity of African-Americans in Rick's group is approximately three. The group can occasionally accommodate up to four African-Americans for very brief periods of time of no more than two episodes before equilibrium must be reestablished and one must die. Fortunately for the current African-Americans in Rick's group, Morgan has yet to officially join their numbers, currently serving as an outlier, which means Noah, Sasha, and Father Gabriel will survive for a little while longer.

(*)=the officially unofficial study based on bad memory and this episode

• Love 4

Way back when, people didn't worry so much about hygiene. Because Rick's group didn't grow up that way (just as we didn't),  they're probably going to clean up as well as possible before they'd have sex. Scavenge some toothpaste, clean up the usual smelly parts, etc.

With this last marathon I finally saw the episode when they went to the CDC and boy was I happy to see them all get hot showers. (Would have been happier if they'd given us some freshly-shampooed Daryl cross-bowing a walker while wearing just a towel but I digress ...)  Rick and Lori didn't waste any time getting busy together once they had soap and hot water. And also a sense of security.  I think that is as big a factor in people not hooking up as the hygiene factor is. Maybe more so. Kind of hard to get lost in the moment - or even think about having a moment - when you constantly have to keep an eye and an ear out for imminent threats to your life. 

I hated this episode, it ranks as worst in the series so far for me. I have never liked Tyrese so did not appreciate that a whole episode was devoted to him. He did of course die so that's a plus but still, blah, I felt that nothing of interest happened and half the cast was missing.  If you're going to make us wait 2 1/2 months for a new episode make it a good one to re-fire our interest; and try to get all the cast in it. Faster-paced would have been better, first ep after a break is not a good time to do a slow artsy-fartsy ep. 

• Love 2

I'm going to wade in the debate and say that another problem with the show and its characters of color is that, from my perspective, none of its Black characters are safe. In other words, when a "main" character needs to die, I can easily see it being one of the Black characters. The only safe characters on the show to me are white males: Rick, Carl, and Daryl. 

Vocal minorites aren't always indicative of large portions.

I agree, at least when it comes to Twitter.

The Nielsen Cable Top 25 ratings are out today, and the final number of Live + Same Day viewers for "What Happened and What's Going On" was 15.643 million.

And while The Walking Dead is #1 on Nielsen's 2014 Social TV list -- http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/tops-of-2014-social-tv.html -- the average number of tweets per episode was 576,000. It seems unlikely that there's only one tweet per person, but even if that's the standard, 576,000 tweets would equal less than 4% of the total audience. (Note: The Social TV stats for this particular episode aren't available yet, or I would have used them.)

I suspect it's a "squeaky wheel" situation.

the group considered as residents of Georgia

But even then, are there some out-of-staters in the group thowing off the numbers...

when they went to the CDC and boy was I happy to see them all get hot showers.

Weren't there also working showers at the prison too?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1
Rick's group would probably clean up at least the smelliest parts before goin' to town.

Way back when, people didn't worry so much about hygiene. Because Rick's group didn't grow up that way (just as we didn't),  they're probably going to clean up as well as possible before they'd have sex. Scavenge some toothpaste, clean up the usual smelly parts, etc.

All this talk about pre-sex clean up is giving me wicked flashbacks to Austin Powers.

"Shall we shag now, or shall we shag later? How do you like to do it? Do you like to wash up first? You know, top and tails... whore's bath? Personally, before I'm on the job, I like to give my undercarriage a bit of a 'how's your father'!"

• Love 6

I'm going to wade in the debate and say that another problem with the show and its characters of color is that, from my perspective, none of its Black characters are safe. In other words, when a "main" character needs to die, I can easily see it being one of the Black characters. The only safe characters on the show to me are white males: Rick, Carl, and Daryl. 

I think Michonne and Carol have gained admittance to that group.  They're both very popular and Melissa has been nominated and received awards for her role.  I don't think either of them are leaving anytime soon.  I can see Daryl getting snuffed - he'd be the ultimate shock death, and if Abraham sticks around, Daryl becomes redundant.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 5

I don't see them ever killing Daryl, at least for awhile longer. He and Abe might have to share Big Guy duties for awhile. Daryl is one of the only characters that it seems like everyone, critics and fans, unanimously love. People would be pissed if he got killed.

At this point, I say Rick, Carl, Michonne, Carol, and Daryl are safe. Maggie and Glen are close, but they could go for a Big Tragic Shock death for one (or both) of them. Anyone else is fair game.  

• Love 2

This. The issue is not the numerical representation in the cast, which is actually pretty good compared to its peers (well done show). The issue is that when the show chooses to kill off "good-guy" characters it almost always kills off a person of color or a woman. 

As a woman I got attached to Lori, Andrea and Beth. Whilst I knew Beth was always - unfortunately - destined to be zombie chow, the deaths of Lori and Andrea were a very big deal, they were major characters that had been part of the TWD from the very start and their deaths meant a reconfiguration of the show for me in terms of how I related to it. It was the equivalent of killing off Rick, Carl, Glenn or Daryl. 

Apart from Dale who died a long time back, and who was arguably not in the top tier of leading characters anyway, we've only really had the death of Shane, who was, in fact, a very ambiguous "good guy", killed in the end because he'd gone bad. Right now I fear very much for Maggie, when in fact it is surely the turn of someone like Glenn or Daryl to be on the chopping block. 

I think it's a similar story for black people, except that they are rarely afforded leading character status. Only Michonne has bucked this trend. 

At a guess I would say this show's demo skews heavily white and male and that goes some way to explain the privileged position of those sorts of characters, and the disposability of women and POC. 

Edited by Misty79
  • Love 6

I think Daryl has become very disposable because he hasn't been Daryl for a long time. He became such a fan favorite when he was a mouthy temperamental trashy type amongst a quarry group of upstanding suburbanites---and viewers quickly noticed that he was the only one with any brains in the whole bunch.

It was controversial to say No matter what he is that's who I'd be sticking with because he knows how to stay alive! The other people are idiots!

He said and did things that made people gasp, but he stood out.

Now he's like Alan Alda at the end of the world.

(a reference too far back I imagine.)

Back on topic, can anybody make something out of the Glenn-breaks-a-CD! moment? .I don't want to find out it's just another Bob looks at his secret box bit where we get led down another blind alley just because.

• Love 4

You know, with all the talk of showers, it really makes me question more and more why -- when our gang saw the pristine condition of the hospital -- they didn't think:
"Hey, this is a great idea."  Sure, they wouldn't have stayed there because that's where Beth was killed.  But they saw a similar-sized group of people make a building work as a place to live.  Instead, they go on the road and BITCH about it.  Well, duh!!!!!

Again, I can forgive them a little because of the immediate trauma of Beth's death.  But why haven't they woken up??  It makes better sense to travel 500 miles because Noah's parents lived in a gated community?!?  There are gated communities everywhere.

• Love 3

Very true. AFAIK, all the terrifyingly evil people - the sadistic murdering cannibals, leering rape-y cops, murderous rednecks, pedo creep, baby killers and the maniacal (AND sadistic AND rape-y) would-be dictator have been white males.

Martinez and "the black guy" were ethnic baddies.  Also, I'm waiting to see what has become of Morgan.  I'm not exactly feeling PeePee either.

The only safe characters on the show to me are white males: Rick, Carl, and Daryl. 

I don't think that's true.  Andrea, Lori and Hershel were all major deaths on this show.

"Shall we shag now, or shall we shag later? How do you like to do it? Do you like to wash up first? You know, top and tails... whore's bath? Personally, before I'm on the job, I like to give my undercarriage a bit of a 'how's your father'!"

LOL.  It also reminds me of I think the second season of the show Survivor, there was this black guy.  I remember because he was all manner of hot hot hottie.  Anyway on a post show interview they asked if there was any behind the scenes nooky and his response was that there was no fresh water and soap in which to bathe so the whole camp smelled like ass.  "Nobody was doing NOTHING!"

I don't see them ever killing Daryl, at least for awhile longer. He and Abe might have to share Big Guy duties for awhile. Daryl is one of the only characters that it seems like everyone, critics and fans, unanimously love. People would be pissed if he got killed.

Actually Daryl has never been my favorite.  He's alright and I'd be sad if he died, but not riotous.  As for the rest I'd say the only bona fides are Rick and Carl.  I have a feeling we're going to lose Michonne at some point - who is my favorite, BTW.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3
Back on topic, can anybody make something out of the Glenn-breaks-a-CD! moment?

I think Glenn is starting to lose hope.  He kind of prided himself that this group maintained it's "humanity", that they are the type to save others, "It's who we are.  It's got to be."  But he's cracking under the weight of the fact that it is all so random and pointless.  There is bad news in every direction that they turn.  Keep in mind that in Glenn's past week he found out that Eugene was full of crap, came back home to a dead and partially dismembered Bob (the dismemberment at the hands of the cannibals he implored Rick to let live), found out Beth was alive only to lose her in the retrieval and now travelled up the coast in hopes of connecting with a new community only to find out the even MORE baddies raped and plundered.  He's tired.  Michonne is tired. 

Honestly I think Maggie needs to turn up pregnant. 

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3

You know, with all the talk of showers, it really makes me question more and more why -- when our gang saw the pristine condition of the hospital -- they didn't think:

"Hey, this is a great idea."  Sure, they wouldn't have stayed there because that's where Beth was killed.  But they saw a similar-sized group of people make a building work as a place to live.  Instead, they go on the road and BITCH about it.  Well, duh!!!!!

Again, I can forgive them a little because of the immediate trauma of Beth's death.  But why haven't they woken up??  It makes better sense to travel 500 miles because Noah's parents lived in a gated community?!?  There are gated communities everywhere.

Because I put way too much thought into this scenario, I've wondered why they don't do several things.  Like find a walled mansion. Live in a garden apartment complex.  Hole up in a Walmart or shopping mall or Costco.  Or a school or another prison. A neighborhood in general.  Find another hospital or retirement home (lots of medical supplies). Drive to a wharf and split the houseboats up between them.  I don't understand why their clothes are so dirty since they have got to pass by lots of stores and places with clean clothing.  Hell go back to Terminus and get whatever didn't burn.  I mean in a world where 95% of the human population has died but the infrastructure remains intact, resources shouldn't be part of the struggle.  Scavenging should be an artform at this point. 

ETA:  Why leave Noah's house with Tyrese?  The average middle class household would have a host of items that could have helped them out:  something to make a turniquet, alcohol, meds to sedate him (hell, even a bottle of vodka), and there was a fireplace in which a fire could me made to cauterize the wound.  Then they could have driven the car to Noah's house and put Tyrese in.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 8

This actually turned out fascinating.

Georgia demographics are very different from the national average.

Whites are 59.7% of the population.

Blacks are 30.5 %

Asians are 3.2%

Hispanic/Latino are 8.8%.

Applied to 14 people, the group considered as residents of Georgia, should have 8.35 whites, 4.27 blacks, and 1.2 Hispanic/Latinos

Which is pretty close to the numbers in the cast: 8 white characters, 4 black, and 1 Hispanic/Latino.

Until you get to Asian. It got even worse for poor Glenn. By percentages expected with Georgia demographics, out of 14 people, only .448 should be Asian.

That's even worse than just 3/4ths of a person.

Otherwise though, pretty close.

I think a lot of the perception comes not from how many black versus white characters in sheer numbers or percentages. It comes first from the fact that for a very long time there was only T-Dog. And then a very fast changing rota of one black guy in and one out, keeping it one. There was one black guy forever then one black guy but not the same one. The numbers are better now, but being a black man on this show generally means not living long. The two women seem to last but the men may as well wear red shirts. Morgan is in for a total of six minutes this season, which doesn't make him even a recurring character.

Also, we see almost no black walkers, which adds to the perception. I don't think it's as simple as taking a head count, which is the point I was trying to make in response to the original black vs white death tally. It doesn't just boil down to pure numbers. But if you want to boil it down to numbers calculate life spans along with percentages over time.

ETA: I don't think it's a fair calculation to exclude the bad guys either, because as a few have pointed out, it's not really about how many have died by color but about representation. Black men and women can be bad guys, too.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

"the black guy"

Shumpert?

ETA:  Why leave Noah's house with Tyrese?  The average middle class household would have a host of items that could have helped them out:  something to make a turniquet, alcohol, meds to sedate him (hell, even a bottle of vodka), and there was a fireplace in which a fire could me made to cauterize the wound.  Then they could have driven the car to Noah's house and put Tyrese in.

Can do it even faster...pop the hood on the vehicle, put the stump on the hot engine block. That'll cauterize it.

ETA: BTW, there's all kinds of recipes for how to cook food on the road by putting it in foil and using the engine block like a hot plate while you are driving. Good for long road trips; and in the case of our group, for when it is too risky to make a fire.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Shumpert?

Shumpert?  You must be mistaken.  I read the credits and saw the Talking Dead post mortem and they very clearly listed his name as "the Black Guy" - "Hey you" to his friends.  That's what it said in the script and what it says on his birth certificate.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

Tyrese/Karen's relationship: Keep in mind there have been two big(ish) time jumps between seasons:
The one btw 2 & 3 where Carl's voice changes and Lori goes from around 3 months pregnant to between 8-9 months. This entire time Michonne and Andrea were together.
The one btw 3 & 4 where at the prison they managed to acquire a horse and some pigs, incorporate the Woodbury folks, grow some crops, Rick grows a beard and becomes all farmer-ish with Hershel. Tyrese & Karen's relationship happened during this time frame.

While I don't think the second jump was as AS big (I'd guess 2-3 months tops) I bring it up in relation to the first because I occasionally had to remind myself that chronologically Michonne is probably only just now hitting the point where she has been with Rick, Daryl as long as she was with Andrea (7 months?). Likewise, to us Tyrese and Karen were only a thing for 2 weeks, but it probably was more like 2-3 months during the farming-prison hiatus

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 2

Back on topic, can anybody make something out of the Glenn-breaks-a-CD! moment? .I don't want to find out it's just another Bob looks at his secret box bit where we get led down another blind alley just because.

My husband whispered that it was Emily Kinney's CD to symbolize/honour Beth's passing. ;)

• Love 8

Instead, they go on the road and BITCH about it.  Well, duh!!!!!

Hee!!!

I don't understand why they didn't stay at the gated community or find another one.  There seems to be some kind of mentality of, “If we stay here, bad people will find us.”  However, that’s really dumb because as history has proven, whether they stay put or are on the road, they run into bad people.  They actively followed the railroad tracks to a group of very bad people.

• Love 3
I don't get Tyreese's whole "I don't want to kill walkers" deal, even if the bedroom reminded him of how those kids were before.

I would think the kind, ethical thing would be to kill every walker in sight, because I don't know a human being that would want that to happen to their body after their minds were lost.

I'm with you on that. Not only is killing as many as you can a public service to the world, but I always think it's kind of like putting a suffering animal out of their misery. I certainly wouldn't want anyone *I* loved wandering around in that state. 

• Love 8

Well, I believe Rick and Carl are safe because this is essentially their story. Sure the others have huge parts,  but we started with Rick waking up in that hospital bed, and then his journey to reunite with his family. And Daryl was never intended to be "safe", not even a main character. Reedus played the hell out of him and the fangirls went wild. I think that's the only thing keeping him "safe" at this moment. And even then I don't think he's 100% safe. In fact, last season I was fairly convinced he was going to die. He hasn't been super interesting for awhile.  I'd say Michonne is pretty darn safe as well right now. But that's just a feeling I have. 

Yes, PLEASE! The box!!!! I still want to know what was in the damn box.  Maybe Glenn could see the reflection of their "past" in the CD? What was behind them? So he broke it to symbolize that they are starting fresh? LOL

• Love 1

Martinez and "the black guy" were ethnic baddies.

Martinez and Shumpert may not have been the most ethical people around and they did what they had to do to keep themselves alive in relative comfort, but they weren't twisted, psychotic sadists, cannibals and/or rapists and when they saw how truly monumentally monstrous the Governor was - with his heads, actual torture chamber and murdering his own people -  they abandoned him.  

• Love 2

Martinez and Shumpert may not have been the most ethical people around and they did what they had to do to keep themselves alive in relative comfort, but they weren't twisted, psychotic sadists, cannibals and/or rapists and when they saw how truly monumentally monstrous the Governor was - with his heads, actual torture chamber and murdering his own people -  they abandoned him.  

No they didn't.  They were the ones commandeering the heads for him.  They were with him when he shot up the military people. They knew everything.  They even got in the car with him right afer he shot up the Woodburians.  Martinez (apparently "the black guy" was dead) kept his secret up until the end.  They were complicit in it all - accessories.

• Love 1

I don't think the problem is lack of minority characters but lack of writes/directors with a minority perspective to get people invested in their well being. In this sea of shining suns you have to make yourself stand out like Daryl did .. the only minority characters to achieve this so far (in my opinion) is Michonne and Morgan. The black characters seem to fall into two categories - indifference; nice enough live or die (T-Dog, Sasha and Bob) or can't go away fast enough (Tyrese, Father Pee Pants, Noah).  

• Love 3

I don't think the problem is lack of minority characters but lack of writes/directors with a minority perspective to get people invested in their well being. In this sea of shining suns you have to make yourself stand out like Daryl did .. the only minority characters to achieve this so far (in my opinion) is Michonne and Morgan. The black characters seem to fall into two categories - indifference; nice enough live or die (T-Dog, Sasha and Bob) or can't go away fast enough (Tyrese, Father Pee Pants, Noah).  

I do think Michonne and Morgan are A listers, but IMHO Sasha is not just nice enough to live or die; to me she is equivalent to Maggie.

Father Pee Pants and the holier than thou idealism is approaching Dale and hopefully would evolve into something more interesting,

Noah is still too early to tell for me.

I did think Bob was just an inch away from being a major character. But they needed someone to get their leg eaten by Gareth and the Termites and thanks to Jeffrey DeMunn quitting (!?) to support Frank Darabont he was already gone. (Dale had been slated to be tainted meat.) (and that's not a spoiler because it's already over and done with).

You did list "nice enough to live or die" being T-Dog Sasha and Bob. "can't get away fast enough" as Tyreese Father Pee-Pants and Noah. Morgan and Michonne are definitely stand-out characters.

Who would be "indifference"?

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 2

They abandoned him at the place they had their little tents when Brillip just let that female walker shuffle toward him through the fire.

Exactly. That's when he went a-wanderin' and grew that terribly fake beard. I was left wondering how on earth he contorted himself to sleep in that itty-bitty tent.

• Love 1
The black characters seem to fall into two categories - indifference; nice enough live or die (T-Dog, Sasha and Bob) or can't go away fast enough (Tyrese, Father Pee Pants, Noah).

Isn't that true about all of the B characters though?  

• Love 2

Well I thought everyone would be safe in this episode because the show killed Beth in the previous episode, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO. Damn you, show.  Someone posted upthread that TWD has fewer and fewer places to go:  more deaths, more evil live humans, more scary dead humans, more talk about how tired everyone is of this world, more deaths.  I agree.  How do they end TWD, with Rick and Michonne driving a convertible off a cliff after the rest of CDB has been killed??  The show is starting to seem pointless and just bumming me out.

I loved looking around the room too, because I appreciate those little touches that show how sad the loss of the former world is. Tyrese was probably really struggling in that moment. He knew he had to go take care of the walkers in the house, but seeing them as they were when they were alive made it much harder. 

I still don't get why Tyreese was so hugely compelled by the photos of the kids.  I kept looking for clues, like one kid wearing a "Bob's our daddy" t-shirt or something.  It was just photos of two kids.  Why did he have to stare at them until he lost track of where he was and got bitten??

• Love 6

How do they end TWD, with Rick and Michonne driving a convertible off a cliff after the rest of CDB has been killed??

There is a great book called Riddley Walker (Walker! AAAGH!) by Russell Hoban that is an account of life millenia after some global holocaust.

Without technology, history is muddled and language is altered and it is written like that so you do have to figure out what the first-person voice is saying.("Eusa" is the United States of America, "Puter Leat" was the ancient worlds computer elite---"they had a gurt box of worls go from worl to worl to get the knowing" .The "little shining man Adam" who broke the world is the atom and the nuclear destruction.)

People live like the Dark Ages, have deformities and scrabble for survival etc.

I would love to see another time-jump for the final episode: "50 Years Later: What Happened And What's Going On" with camps fighting wars, and lost names being evolved, and Granny Judith talking to the young (named for the ancient hero Tyreese) King Tyrion, and Margaery (named for  Maggie of Olde) and Sansa (named for Sasha the Legend) and members of the House of Greyjoy started by the Bearded ShireReeve of  the House of Grimes.

A The Walking Dead/Riddley Walker/Game of Thrones mash-up.

Edited by kikismom

There is a great book called Riddley Walker (Walker! AAAGH!) by Russell Hoban that is an account of life millenia after some global holocaust.

Without technology, history is muddled and language is altered and it is written like that so you do have to figure out what the first-person voice is saying.("Eusa" is the United States of America, "Puter Leat" was the ancient worlds computer elite---"they had a gurt box of worls go from worl to worl to get the knowing" .The "little shining man Adam" who broke the world is the atom and the nuclear destruction.)

People live like the Dark Ages, have deformities and scrabble for survival etc.

I would love to see another time-jump for the final episode: "50 Years Later: What Happened And What's Going On" with camps fighting wars, and lost names being evolved, and Granny Judith talking to the young (named for the ancient hero Tyreese) King Tyrion, and Margaery (named for  Maggie of Olde) and Sansa (named for Sasha the Legend) and members of the House of Greyjoy started by the Bearded ShireReeve of  the House of Grimes.

A The Walking Dead/Riddley Walker/Game of Thrones mash-up.

Well, K'mom, it sounds like you need to get your fanfic on.  I'd be interested to read Granny Judith's story.  (Please don't screw around with the spelling.)

P.S.  I scrutinize TWD opening credits every week because Grace Walker is some kind of production person and it makes me smile.

• Love 1

I'm with you on that. Not only is killing as many as you can a public service to the world, but I always think it's kind of like putting a suffering animal out of their misery. I certainly wouldn't want anyone *I* loved wandering around in that state. 

In Z Nation, the main crew regularly intones "I give you mercy" as they stab/smash/shoot through the zombie skulls.  That show's sort of a lightweight goof compared to TWD, but the concept of helping the afflicted rest in peace is a nice touch that I find missing in TWD.

No they didn't.  They were the ones commandeering the heads for him.  They were with him when he shot up the military people. They knew everything.  They even got in the car with him right afer he shot up the Woodburians.  Martinez (apparently "the black guy" was dead) kept his secret up until the end.  They were complicit in it all - accessories.

Those big "head aquariums" each weighed about the same as a baby elephant.  No way The Govnah arranged that setup all by himself.

Isn't that true about all of the B characters though?

True but I was referencing the discussion on the minority characters.

As far as my list of indifference - Tara, Maggie, Eugene and Rosita. I still have a soft spot for Glenn and now that the scientist foolishness is over I think I will like Abraham.

• Love 1

ugh what is wrong with this show and black men? there isn't room for 2 black men in the show?  maybe noah better take a cue from glen and hook up with a white girl if he wants to be around longer than a season or 2.  gah.  this just bothers me so much.

• Love 3

Here's where some of the perception comes from, at least on my end.  When I start trying to tally the characters who have died, excepting Milton who I loved, I don't count obvious villains or outsiders who have almost overwhelmingly been white men.  We expect them to do their thing and then die.  I also don't count characters who were only around for a scene or two and had no real purpose except as zombie chow.  I count members of our gang, the people we're supposed to be rooting for.

The last white male from our group to die was Herschel.  In addition to Merle and Ed, who probably don't get to be considered good guys but were part of the group, we've lost Jim, Otis, Dale, Axel, and Shane.

Among the women we've lost Amy, Jacqui, Sophia, Andrea, Patricia, Lori, Karen, Beth, Lizzie, and Mika, all but three of whom were pretty blonde things.  We've also lost four black men, T-Dog, Oscar, Bob, and now Tyreese, who appear to operating under Highlander rules that there can be only one.

When I did my counting, I counted damn near every character I could think of who had a name and was on screen for more than a blip (e.g., I didn't count the two dudes that Rick dispatched in the bar with Herschel and Glenn.) It's obvious from the various observations by posters to this conversation that the permutations of how to make a tally are almost endless.

• Love 2