Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Grammy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Meghan Trainor is, like, dumpy white chick from New England who sings with an off-Jamaican accent. "All About That Bass" and "Hips Are Moving" are little novelty songs, but they should NOT earn someone fucking Best New Artist. This is some fucking bullshit. Her ass shouldn't have won. She's the weakest of the people nominated. I wanted Tori, but really every other nominee was better than stanking ass Meghan Trainor.

This is some bullshit.

Lady Gaga is making me miss David Bowie...because she kinda sucks and he didn't. I kind of wish they would've gotten another eclectic guy to do a tribute. I feel like they let her do it because she's trying to make a comeback, of sorts. I don't think Artpop did that well, and her duets album with Tony Bennett did pretty good, but her bread isn't buttered with the Great American Songbook. She's trying to be relevant again. Thus: they let her do the tribute.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1

The last award show I saw Gaga on (the SAG awards, maybe?), I remember telling soon to be Mr. Callaphera that I miss the meat dress days. Turns out, I really don't miss the schtick. Even though it was Gaga doing a tribute to Bowie, it was a lot of Gaga doing Gaga. 

Gaga doesn't even look like a word/name anymore. 

Good god, that was fucking awful. I admit, I am no fan of Lady Gaga's, but you think even she wouldn't be able to fuck up a David Bowie tribute. But never say never. It was like watching a truly bad Las Vegas impersonator. Put it this way, she knew the words, but not the music, if you know what I mean. 

• Love 6

I adored Bowie and I think his impact was wide-ranging and I think a little more enduring than the Eagles (whom I liked fine, but they were very much of a particular period of time, imo). However, watching that "tribute," I found myself wondering what would have been appropriate or fitting for a David Bowie tribute. That thing Gaga did didn't feel like it for me. It felt so 70's cheesy, reminiscent of a variety show or something like that. Frankly, I would have been good watching the Flight of the Conchords Bowie episode from a few years ago, which was awesome.

As far as Gaga goes, I'm meh on her, though I was impressed with her Julie Andrews thing a while back.

• Love 3

I give Gaga a B+ because I love Bowie. I was in a funk for a week after he died so its good she wasn't great or else I could see myself slipping back in the abyss. But honest for an overall tribute to Bowie I can't think of anyone more appropriate. However I read Lenny Kravitz was going to do Fame but had to back out because he was sick. That would of been kick ass. (Ps Gaga please floss if you know there will be close ups)

It's times like these I'm GLAD Milli Vanilli won Best New Artist way back when since that, right there, basically turned out to torpedo what legitimacy the Grammys ever had.

It was just a harbinger for the crap we have seen now for years.

So it tempers my loathing and bitterness at how the Frey/Bowie tributes came off, not to mention all the crappy artists I don't know jack about.

Now get off my damned lawn!

• Love 5

Hmmm, I must not have discerning taste. I don't know that much about Bowie, although I appreciate him more after what I have read about him recently. I liked Gaga. She took a chance. She has a great voice, if you ever get to hear her sing without any gimmicks.

• Love 2

I adored Bowie and I think his impact was wide-ranging and I think a little more enduring than the Eagles (whom I liked fine, but they were very much of a particular period of time, imo). However, watching that "tribute," I found myself wondering what would have been appropriate or fitting for a David Bowie tribute. That thing Gaga did didn't feel like it for me. It felt so 70's cheesy, reminiscent of a variety show or something like that. Frankly, I would have been good watching the Flight of the Conchords Bowie episode from a few years ago, which was awesome.

As far as Gaga goes, I'm meh on her, though I was impressed with her Julie Andrews thing a while back.

You summed up my feelings on the Bowie tribute and Gaga. I am indifferent to her. Sometimes I like her performances/songs and sometimes I do not. I do not love nor hate her. I too, liked the Julie Andrews thing awhile back as well.

This should be good, and if nothing else, we can thank our lucky stars John Mayer isn't around to be part of this.

Word. I was just thinking I'm glad they didn't call his ass up to do the BB King tribute. After he showed up the other year looking like Buddy Holly, I decided I can't. I can't and I won't.

Bonnie Raitt is fucking great. I feel like she'd be fun to have a drink with. I'm a little tired of "The Thrill is Gone" because BB King had so many great songs and people torture this one. It's a Blues standard, but...come on. Can we do something else? That said, it was great. Easily one of the best of the night.

• Love 2

Oh, Lenny Kravitz doing Fame would have been great. That's a miss. And in thinking about it, I can see where they could have had a mix of musicians come in and do their take on Bowie tunes. It could have been simple, made a point about how his music influenced so many and been so much better than that what the fuckery that Gaga did.

On another note, I love Bonnie Raitt, so yay for that. But this Vampire thing with Alice Cooper, etc? I may have to watch to see how bad it is . . . Johnny Depp is one I used to love but I sense he's in some sort of mid-life crisis right now. He's creeping me out these days.

It's times like these I'm GLAD Milli Vanilli won Best New Artist way back when since that, right there, basically turned out to torpedo what legitimacy the Grammys ever had.

It was just a harbinger for the crap we have seen now for years.

So it tempers my loathing and bitterness at how the Frey/Bowie tributes came off, not to mention all the crappy artists I don't know jack about.

Now get off my damned lawn!

Here's how much of weird geek I am. You said "It was just a harbinger for the crap we have seen now for years". I immediately thought of Paula Cole, who won BNA, who's debut album was called "Harbinger".

I'll go to bed now. But I have to say once more for the road: this is some bullshit.

Yes, that was something. I don't quite know where to go with that. I have a soft spot for Alice Cooper from my childhood and I always kind of liked Joe Perry and Duff McKagen, for some reason. I think Depp's presence threw me off. He's a great actor but I can't take him seriously when he's playing rock star.

I will have to turn this off before Beyonce hits the stage because I think I've had my fill of her.

Looks like I'm in a minority, but I think the Kendrick Lamar performance was by the best one I've seen all night by far.

And time for another minority opinion, I'd much rather see Adele introduce Bruno Mars than the other way around.

Kendrick was thrilling! I'm aghast that people would call him a second rate Kanye (and I like Kanye).

• Love 2

That kid is great. Much better than most of the losers on this show (I'm looking at you Biebs).

At this point, I'd almost like Kanye to storm the stage, go on a rant and then have Dave Grohl come out and beat the shit out of him. With his red Solo cup.

• Love 15

That kid is great. Much better than most of the losers on this show (I'm looking at you Biebs).

At this point, I'd almost like Kanye to storm the stage, go on a rant and then have Dave Grohl come out and beat the shit out of him. With his red Solo cup.

Can I upvote this a million times?

• Love 2

I need this to happen so so badly. This would be the best wedding gift ever!

• Love 5