Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/09/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Good for you CousinAmy in your grant writing pursuits.  I used to work for an agency that gave out grants.  We couldn't give to everyone and some were written better than others, some were better projects than others, and sometimes there just wasn't enough money to go around in that funding cycle, even with well written and very deserved projects.  Always a sadness.  But I still wish your group would have gotten a Rosie O grant.

• Love 2

I wonder now that Rosie has left if they will start having five live shows instead of four? Glad Rosie is getting back her yellow. It would be lame if she came back to do craft segments. Weird.

That's not likely to happen.  Folks don't seem to understand that it has nothing to do with "working a full week".  Perhaps it started that way, but now it is strictly a financial decision.  It's expensive to do a live show. You have to pay the dozens and dozens of technical staff and behind-the-scenes crew -- most of which are heavily unionized and cost bucketloads.  It's nearly become industry practice to pre-tape one day's show a week.  Letterman does it.  Hoda Lee and Kathie Lee do it.  Kelly and Michael pre-tape during non-sweeps. Anderson Cooper did it when he had a show. Seth Myers doesn't even bother with a Friday show.  Ellen and Rachael and Oz and DrPhil all tape multiple shows in a single day regularly.  It has very little to do with the "work ethic" of the talent in front of the screen.  It has everything to do with cutting costs.

Plus, for whatever reason, Friday episodes are always low-rated.  And it's not because of content.  Nearly every soap has lower ratings on Fridays all the time, all year long. 

• Love 8

Hey Foghorn Leghorn, I first heard about yellow and Rosie here, when some posters commented on her wearing yellow on her last day. Then on her site, she posted a yellow poem, don't hold me to this part, I think it was after she left, like Thurs or Fri. It was a very sweet poem. 

The poem is from her book, Celebrity Detox: (the fame game) I hope this links correctly:

https://books.google.com/books?id=bCc7JhCzAWMC&pg=PT19&lpg=PT19&dq=fame+stole+my+yellow&source=bl&ots=GEf7XR0Wqu&sig=P_FbaEjowjx8PBTib6aKIilSlso&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_sTgVLi1D8ejgwTy84HwCg&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=fame%20stole%20my%20yellow&f=false

• Love 2

I'm on the list (#87) for "The Girl on the Train" from my library.  Can't wait to read it!

On topic, I now have an extra hour every day from 11-12 because I have no desire to watch Whoopie and the parade of guest co-hosts she'll be shaking her finger at and telling them how much she.doesn't.care what they or the audience thinks.  If I read in the near future that The View is being cancelled, I can't help it, I will get a certain amount of pleasure from it.

• Love 4

I liked SL on What Not To Wear.  She seemed a bit more restrained or something.  The first time I saw her on The View I thought oh how great but was disappointed. I also couldn't keep my eyes off her face/skin like she had just had some kind of treatment and wasn't quite ready to go out in public yet.  

So what we have is Whoopi manic and shrill wagging her finger and yelling, Nicolle manic, shrill and giggling, the 3rd person seems to not get much of a chance and then we have Stacy who seems to try to outdo the manic, shrill and giggling of the others.  It is too much!

• Love 2

Good grief, just saw a photo of WG on the red carpet for the SNL celebration.....she is wearing uggs, black leggings, carrying her coat, and grey sweater - one breast is about 5" lower than the other.

I'm all for casual, and some are on the carpet......but this get-up?

• Love 2

Good grief, just saw a photo of WG on the red carpet for the SNL celebration.....she is wearing uggs, black leggings, carrying her coat, and grey sweater - one breast is about 5" lower than the other.

I'm all for casual, and some are on the carpet......but this get-up?

... and heeeeeere's Whoopi!!!  (Charming)

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/pictured-whoopi-goldberg-walks-the-red-carpet-at-the-snl-news-photo/463524420

• Love 2

Not for nothing, I understand the weather is crap in NYC but couldn't she have managed to find a black pair of uggs? Yeah, I'm matchy matchy like that!  Most of the other folks there managed to be in black tie, formal apparel.

I snorted at the Hasselbeck/FauxNews reference, hilarious that it was the photo from her heinous "Brownies are being trained as radicals that will come hunt you down" hit piece.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

I'm on the list (#87) for "The Girl on the Train" from my library.  Can't wait to read it!

Never heard of that book before, however, just put it on hold as an e-book from the library.  I'm # 195 on 22 copies.  Guess I won't be filling my View-free hour reading it for a while!

Seriously, after seeing the guests and co-hosts for this week, I don't see me rushing to watch. 

Whoopi looks good in the link above. I suspect she might be a fun person to have as a friend, just not a co-host of a talk show.

• Love 1

I simply can't watch next week what with  WG, RP, and guest co-hosts London, Williams, Rivera and Lakshima......

To put it nicely, I don't like any of those women &  don't care about anything they have to say so I am out.  I'd love to see the very long list of names they went through before they landed at the very bottom with these four. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 6

Not for nothing, I understand the weather is crap in NYC but couldn't she have managed to find a black pair of uggs? Yeah, I'm matchy matchy like that!  Most of the other folks there managed to be in black tie, formal apparel.

I'm matchy match too and my absolute pet peeve is tan boots with a black/gray outfit.  But for some reason black boots with a tan outfit can work.  I loved the boots but not with that color ensemble.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 3
Never heard of that book before, however, just put it on hold as an e-book from the library.  I'm # 195 on 22 copies.

Coincidentally, I'm also #87... 16 copies.  Been on the list since January 21...but I get audiobooks.

Maybe we could start a hook club instead of watching The View. I only went back to watching it this year because of Rosie, so its deleted off my pvr. I also have The Girl on The Train on hold. However I'm #1377 on the list, so you'll all be long done before me!

I really enjoyed Rosie O interviewing Lucy Liu.*  No one else needed to be there.  It is what we should expect, and get, each and every time we invest our precious time watching anything, daytime or night time.  That high calibre of skilled interviewing is very rare these days, but it shouldn't be.  As important as it is that someone be comfortable in front of a camera, there is and should be much, much more required.  Things such as talent, charisma and natural ability as an interviewer as well as a talk show host.  I can't and won't believe there's an extreme shortage of people able to fill those requirements in such a competitive field.  In recent years, it just seems and feels like a free-for-all, you want it?  You got it!  No talent?  No problem!  No interviewing skills whatsoever?  No problem!  Not really interested in the subjects you're interviewing, nor giving viewers an angle on the subjects you're interviewing?  You're hired!!

I don't believe this is the way it always was.  Johnny Carson and his predecessors, and Mike Douglas and many more, I don't believe it was any less competitive then (it could have been, I don't know) but I think the bar was set high.  You had to have the talent, the natural ability, the interest in guests, the charisma, you had to have it all.  The only thing I can think of as being the reason for it is because we have been conditioned to expect less, that we somehow deserve less.  The bar is set so low now.  Reality/trash tv can be blamed for it, and so can the viewers of those horrid things.  

* Two small things about the interview with Lucy Liu.  1.  I don't normally like black and red together, but that was a really, really cute dress on Lucy Liu and she looked beautiful in it!  and 2.  That Beverly Hills 90210 clip of Lucy's first gig was adorable!  As a fan of that show, I really enjoyed that!  A fun piece of trivia is that Rosie O also appeared in the very early years of BH 90210 (Brandon's current gf got tickets to a Rosie O show she was doing for young people regarding AIDS and safe sex, and Brandon, Nicki, and I think - don't quote me here - Donna and David went to the concert together...Rosie O cared so much about helping people even way back then.  She is so kind hearted).  How fun it would have been if that had been shown too or even perhaps mentioned - but I'd tend to believe the possibility was raised and Rosie O, knowing she wasn't the subject of the interview would not agree to show/mention it.  Conversely, I can't think of a single missed opportunity on this show to mention anything and everything Whoopi was ever in, associated with in any way, attended, was interested in, or even watched. 

• Love 6

LOL I have been away on vacation & just got back, so interesting that nobody is commenting anymore :)

This thread is just for that week's show.  I haven't been watching or commenting since, but there still seems to be plenty of comments and chit chat in the weekly threads since Rosie left.  

This thread is just for that week's show.  I haven't been watching or commenting since, but there still seems to be plenty of comments and chit chat in the weekly threads since Rosie left.  

If you look at the number of replies in each week's thread, they are trending down since RO left.  Take a look!

• Love 2