Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Himalayan Dog Chew, Lip Bar, BevBoy, FunBites

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Since there is no thread for E20, I'm going to just say it here - I cannot wait to see what happens to make three of the Sharks walk out.  I find Lori quite annoying, so I'll probably be on the side of the deserters.

As for today's show, I'm so tired of Kevin and his 'you're a cockroach and the big guys will kill you'.  Well, that's probably true for most new companies entering a market, but some companies will make a name for themselves.  I'm not sure this lipstick company will, but there are companies that make it and him never acknowledging that is annoying. 

Can't believe that drink holder thing got a deal.  Didn't realize spilled drinks in the pool were such a problem.

• Love 3

• Yak Dog Treats - those guys were on the show for exposure only, they don't need the money or the help. Their obnoxious attitude has turned me off to buying those for my dog, I don't care how good they taste. I make a lot of organic treats for my dog myself.

• Drink Floater Guy - Hey, guess what... a Frisbee turned upside down with a Koozie holding your beer in the pool works just as well. What a weird looking contraption!

• Shaped Food Cutter Girl - I was glad they saved her for last and it was short because her voice was getting on my nerves. Of course she wants to be on QVC, why not just come in and say "Lori, let's make a deal!"

• Lipstick Bar - I am sorry, I couldn't help but see Jamie Foxx playing Wanda the Ugly Girl from his time on "In Living Color" when they were talking. Who thinks green lips are attractive?

In case you've never seen Jamie as Wanda:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GJK-iwIs8s

• Love 4

I thought the Yakky trio were nice enough but concur that they weren't there for a deal. I moused over to Amazon and holy dried milk, those things sell for $7-11 per bag (or around $2/ounce). Reviews average a little over 4 stars for the line as a whole, so people seem to like them. There are other competitors/brands.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

"That is just nasty."

"That is not attractive."

Were Mark and Robert taking a dig at the pool-lounging guy's body/body hair? That seemed a little unnecessary. Also very out of character for Robert.

So the guy is holding the red cup, beach ball flies by, drink spills. Then out comes the BevBoy, but then the guy is still drinking from a can, with BevBoy floating in the water. So if another beach ball flies by at that moment, won't he spill the drink again?

• Love 2

Food slicer woman reminded me of the Diane Keaton character in Baby Boom---a classic over-achiever who came up with something to Get Herself Back In--without a Sam Shepard to mellow her cray. Glad she got what she wanted if only because she WANTED IT so much and was going home to those kids.

• Love 2

I too thought making fun of the bathing dude was tasteless and uncalled for.  I thought a floaty koozie was a decent idea, for a novelty item, but I like the idea above of using a frisbee better than spending $10 for a giant koozie on a stick.  Seems like you could maybe make your koozie an anchor and it might be more compact than the stick?

I thought about trying the dog chews but the dudes wanting to pocket the investment was ludicrous.  And I don't pay filet mignon prices for dog treats. 

Robert was right-- why spend money on a bulky kitchen unitasker when a knife does the job faster and neater?  

Yuk, Nuts n More.  Grossest nut butter I ever tried.  But good idea, I guess, to enter the powder market.  

Re. Lip Bar... just tonight a teen asked me what a Snap On Tools truck franchise was.  I explained it and said it sounded like many mens' dream job, and I wonder if a Sephora-type truck could be a thing.  

I too thought making fun of the bathing dude was tasteless and uncalled for.

I agree! I don't think the guy was purposely trying to look funny or bad. He was just an average guy in swim trunks. I felt sorry for him when they were laughing and saying that stuff. 

So the guy is holding the red cup, beach ball flies by, drink spills. Then out comes the BevBoy, but then the guy is still drinking from a can, with BevBoy floating in the water. So if another beach ball flies by at that moment, won't he spill the drink again?

That occurred to me too. Maybe you're supposed to pick up the whole BevBoy to take a drink? Then if it gets knocked out of your hand, it'll right itself in the water and not spill all out? Just seems like a novelty pool item.

• Love 1

First thing I thought when I say BevBoy was that it should be called BevBuoy!    I also thought that the cozy was a good place to license sports teams logos.

I was interested enough in the Himalayan Dog treat to see if my local pet food store carries it...and they do!  My dog is notoriously finicky about chew toys, but this one seems a bit different so maybe he'll go for it.

I thought the food press thing was no big deal. It might entertain some kids, but it would have been Meh in our house.

The lipstick thing was ridiculous. Sure, green lipstick is obviously ridiculous, but those two women just didn't seem to have a clue about building a business.

• Love 2

Interesting episode.

- Dog Treats. Funny thing is years ago I bought the equivalent of popcorn made from cheese for people and it looked a LOT like the puffy cheese treats they were showing for the dogs. It was cheaper, too. I agree they were just on for the PR. I'm pretty sure the dog I have now would prefer a steak at that price. Then again I'm the nut who paid a small fortune when my elderly dog was sick with cancer and got to the point where she would barely eat - if she liked this, I'd have stocked up if I could afford to. I just can't imagine buying it regularly, but sounds like they have a pretty booming business going.

- Lip Bar. I didn't get it at all. Maybe I'm too old. The biggest problem I saw is the people who are going to care about the parabens etc. and be willing to pay more are going to be older, and most aren't going to want those colors. The people who want the crazy colors are going to be maybe early to mid teens, meaning they won't have a ton of extra money to spend on lipstick and the drink menu theme would be inappropriate.  I wish them the best... hopefully I'm wrong. Winston that's funny what the teen you asked said about Snap On. My husband's a mechanic and I'm consistently amazed at the outrageous amounts of money they charge for tools. Maybe a "makeup truck" isn't completely out there, but I think one focused just on bizarre lipstick colors might be too much.

- Bev Boy. Their presentation was fun. It still looked to me like the thing would tip over enough to get pool/river/lake/whatever water in it, though. I thought the Sharks were awfully rude to them too. I could actually see the product working well in certain environments.  Maybe as a give-away with a logo on it, novelty item at marinas and pool supply stores, or the obvious college campuses, etc.

- Fun Bites. Sorry but it's a pet peeve of mine when people say "but my son/daughter won't eat anything that's not shaped like XYZ" or "s/he will only eat chicken nuggets!" I'm not against making food cute for kids, but it shouldn't be required. I wish they had asked about the cleanup too, because it seems like it'd be really messy.  I can see the product selling well though. It reminds me of one of those kitchen gadgets that'll get used once, stuck in a cupboard or drawer, and never used again.  The benefit with this one is they'll have an ever changing new audience with new kids, though.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 2

Fun Bites seemed like it would be dishwasher safe, so I'm not sure cleaning it would be all that odious.  I don't know, perhaps I'm as big heartless monster, but I feel a parent's obligation to his/her child's requirement for "fun" food should be limited to cutting the crusts off.

BevBoy - plastic crap that will be in a landfill within three weeks.

Lip Bar - drag queens would love it.  That's all I got.

Yak Cheese - I'd be interested in trying it myself (that may have been because I was incredibly stoned when I watched the episode), but I concur with everyone else, they were just there for PR.

• Love 4

I feel a parent's obligation to his/her child's requirement for "fun" food should be limited to cutting the crusts off.

My mom did that for me when I was little, as I went through a brief period of not wanting any crust on my bread. She did it with a large jar, so I had those round PB&J sandwiches that you now see in the freezer section. A woman ahead of her time. :)

I have a hard time believing Kevin would tell his kids "You can just starve!"

• Love 2

See, I have no trouble with that at all.  I am quite confident storytime in the O'Leary household involved The Fountainhead and The Wealth of Nations, so the children were absolutely aware what a drain on resources they were.

• Love 7

Since there is no thread for E20, I'm going to just say it here - I cannot wait to see what happens to make three of the Sharks walk out.  I find Lori quite annoying, so I'll probably be on the side of the deserters.

Yes! I can't wait for this episode! No leaks online?

Yak people...definitely PR.

Kevin is right. If their was a market for crazy color of lipsticks, the big players would offer it. Maybe they were banking on being a hit because nail polishes in funky colors and designs are popular right now.

I could see BevBoy working. Definitely in a licensing capacity.

Regarding the food cutter thing. Just buy some cookie cutters, and voila! They makes small size ones, too. It also didn't look that simple to use. The lady was annoying and she reminded me of a blonde Meridith Viera.

See, the problem with having mostly men on the panel is that they wouldn't know that every drugstore/big box that sells makeup has a section at the back of the last aisle where they have the $1 Wet N' Wild type items that come in crazy colors. That section is mostly the domain of Tweens and Halloween shoppers. You occasionally see an odd color in the regular lines (Cover Girl, Maybelline, etc.) or on endcap displays, but I agree that if they sold well you'd see them more.

• Love 5

See, the problem with having mostly men on the panel is that they wouldn't know that every drugstore/big box that sells makeup has a section at the back of the last aisle where they have the $1 Wet N' Wild type items that come in crazy colors. That section is mostly the domain of Tweens and Halloween shoppers. You occasionally see an odd color in the regular lines (Cover Girl, Maybelline, etc.) or on endcap displays, but I agree that if they sold well you'd see them more.

Wet N Wild was my first thought when I saw blue lips.  Maybe it's a play for rich sorority girls?  Cute name & gimmick but don't see it going anywhere.

I didn't hate the sandwich cutter thing.  Seems like something a kid could 'help' with.  And seems safer and faster than a knife.  I'd do it with fruit or maybe brownies/sheet cake for a kids party.  Unless I had a special needs kid, I don't think I'd be doing it every day.  It so looks like an item at Bed Bath and Beyond in one of those center aisle display columns.  Use your 20% off coupon and maybe it's reasonable.

I did not pay attention at all during the dog treat presentation.  I just tuned out.

The beer cup thing... license it and sell a bunch.  But it has to be cheaper like $7-8 or 2 for $15.  I see it more as a quick gift item for a sports fan.  I don't see anyone buying several dozen of these for their next pool party.  Agreed that it was mean to make fun of pool dude.  I doubt Kevin or Mark look any better in shorts.  (Maybe Robert does, not sure Daymond would, he's looking a little soft these days).  It was funny when Kevin got all excited about his wine cup thing -- he thought it was a chance to bore us all with more obscure knowledge.

Regarding the food cutting thing.... if someone can come up with a way to disguise foods such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts.... THAT would be a gold mine. I'm not sure how many things you can cut into shapes that would lend themselves to that type of gadget. But if you can figure out a way to patent making one food look like something else, you'll be set for life.

• Love 1

More "solutions" to non-problems. 

The drink float has been done to death, nothing new even with the weight at the bottom. I have a beach float with a built-in drink holder, so no separate drink float is necessary.  Plus, in the ocean, you'd have to tether that holder to your float somehow so the current didn't carry it away. 

Did I have a fever dream or did Lori really say "namaste" as the dog chew guys turned to leave the room? She's awful. I hope that preview lives up to expectations.

Yes, she did say that.  I just don't like her.

• Love 2

There's a designer named Sonjia on the current iteration of Project Runway: All Stars - cute, sweet, interesting design POV - who often wears offbeat lipstick colors - purple, blue, green. Some look better on her than others, but I do think this is a trend; it may or may not become more than that, but I do think the Sharks were a little short-sighted here.

• Love 4

Did I have a fever dream or did Lori really say "namaste" as the dog chew guys turned to leave the room? She's awful. I hope that preview lives up to expectations.

There were several racist comments from multiple sharks, including Robert's "you need a Sherpa."

I can't believe the lipstick women didn't try referencing the success of Urban Decay, whose tagline when they started out was "Does Pink Make You Puke?". With nontraditional color names like Roach, Scab and Smog, they appealed to the anti-barbie aesthetic and made (still make - they are one of my favorite brands) high quality products. I don't recall them ever having a green lipstick, but this early ad features a purple one https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6055/6220266392_1332f2670c_b.jpg

UD's net sales in FY2012 were US $130 million. They were acquired by L'Oreal in late 2012.

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 4

Were Mark and Robert taking a dig at the pool-lounging guy's body/body hair? That seemed a little unnecessary. Also very out of character for Robert.

All the sharks were really punchy during that segment. Those jokes, the tastevin, the nickname, and Daymond countering to "stick it to Lori". It makes me wonder if there was a really long break before his pitch and they were all a bit stir crazy. I think both "Zonk" and his friend took it in stride though. It's a goofy product with a superfluous model so they had to expect something like that.

--------

The dog toy product was interesting. I'm sure they wanted the exposure, but I think they also genuinely wanted a partner. Just rather than a startup investor they wanted to sell off part of their business. Which is understandable, but not what a shark wants to hear.  I was hoping Mark would come back in for them once he realized they were serious to take a deal.

Kevin's approach was interesting and it made me wonder a question I've never entertained before: what percent of a business is it worth giving to a Shark just for them to be involved? Cash aside, valuation aside, if Daymond offered to work with your successful company in return for 5% would that be worth it?

• Love 1

If I remember correctly, Yakkers said Namaste when they entered, so I think Lori's was just a back-atcha.  Not a Lori apologist; she is starting to get on my nerves, too.

Speaking of nerves, Kevin does seem to be the "mean" shark, but I think he's just a big ole nerd trying to sound cool.  He amuses me more than annoys me, and if I were going before the sharks, I would  think the highest compliment would be for him to want to partner with me.

• Love 4

There were several racist comments from multiple sharks, including Robert's "you need a Sherpa."

Up until now I genuinely thought "Sherpa" was the Tibetan/Nepalese word for guide. Which wouldn't bother me; they clearly indicated being from Nepal so referencing a popular element from their culture would be a friendly connection. No worse than saying "aloha" to someone who tells you they're from Hawaii.

However, upon looking it up I only just realized that the Sherpa are a people, not a job.  So yeah, that's wildly inappropriate I agree. In Robert's defense though, I'll bet you a lot of people don't know that and he was just as ignorant about it as I was.

• Love 4

I doubt Kevin or Mark look any better in shorts.  (Maybe Robert does, not sure Daymond would, he's looking a little soft these days)

Here's a photo of Robert from a recent appearance on Good Morning America.

There's a designer named Sonjia on the current iteration of Project Runway: All Stars - cute, sweet, interesting design POV - who often wears offbeat lipstick colors - purple, blue, green. Some look better on her than others, but I do think this is a trend; it may or may not become more than that, but I do think the Sharks were a little short-sighted here.

I think this goes back to the whole squashed like a cockroach thing. If clown-colored lipstick does start to become a trend (or more), there are loads of established cosmetic companies who already have dedicated customers and who can cash in on the trend in a heartbeat. For the sharks, throwing money -- and perhaps more importantly, their time -- at a startup in an already crowded and tough to crack market is like throwing it away.

• Love 1

On this season of "The Bachelor", all of the contestants got a goodie bag at the beginning with the most heinous, garish and ugly shades of gloppy bright pink lipstick imaginable, and all of the ladies seem to wear it. 

If those lipstick girls want to get their products noticed, THAT is a place they could start.  Go to production & give it to them for free.  They couldn't get better exposure for their clown lips!!

See, I have no trouble with that at all.  I am quite confident storytime in the O'Leary household involved The Fountainhead and The Wealth of Nations, so the children were absolutely aware what a drain on resources they were.

It's hard to believe his industry was kids' software.  

Regarding the food cutting thing.... if someone can come up with a way to disguise foods such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts.... THAT would be a gold mine. I'm not sure how many things you can cut into shapes that would lend themselves to that type of gadget. But if you can figure out a way to patent making one food look like something else, you'll be set for life.

I made a special trip to Trader Joe's the other day because two food bloggers I read mentioned their new broccoli chips are good.  I wanted my daughter to try them.  They were sold out.  Even at age 14, I'm still trying to get veggies into her.  

I can't believe the lipstick women didn't try referencing the success of Urban Decay, whose tagline when they started out was "Does Pink Make You Puke?". With nontraditional color names like Roach, Scab and Smog, they appealed to the anti-barbie aesthetic and made (still make - they are one of my favorite brands) high quality products. I don't recall them ever having a green lipstick, but this early ad features a purple one https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6055/6220266392_1332f2670c_b.jpg

UD's net sales in FY2012 were US $130 million. They were acquired by L'Oreal in late 2012.

Urban Decay makes some terrific makeup.  

I agree! I don't think the guy was purposely trying to look funny or bad. He was just an average guy in swim trunks. I felt sorry for him when they were laughing and saying that stuff. 

The body/body hair shaming seemed uncharacteristically cruel, at least for most of the crew - not least because I thought demo guy looked very similar to the pitch guy, like they could be brothers.  Way to alienate your Lumbersexual market, Sharks!

• Love 2

What could be more useless than a "useless eater" that won't even eat! :-)

• Love 1

Up until now I genuinely thought "Sherpa" was the Tibetan/Nepalese word for guide. Which wouldn't bother me; they clearly indicated being from Nepal so referencing a popular element from their culture would be a friendly connection. No worse than saying "aloha" to someone who tells you they're from Hawaii.

However, upon looking it up I only just realized that the Sherpa are a people, not a job.  So yeah, that's wildly inappropriate I agree. In Robert's defense though, I'll bet you a lot of people don't know that and he was just as ignorant about it as I was.

I did not know this either.  I also thought Sherpa was a guide so I'll give Robert a break.  I guess I know better know.  Who knew Shark Tank could be educational.

I made a special trip to Trader Joe's the other day because two food bloggers I read mentioned their new broccoli chips are good.  I wanted my daughter to try them.  They were sold out.  Even at age 14, I'm still trying to get veggies into her.  

Roast the broccoli.  Everyone who has tried it that way so far loves it, even a few people who would never touch broccoli.  Turns out most vegetables taste better roasted.

• Love 2

I noticed he said his wife has had that problem with their kids, not him. He probably wasn't even home for meals with the little kids.

I think most picky eaters are bothered by texture/taste and aren't going to care about cookie cutter shapes. Maybe this would help with a very mildly picky eater who actually does like things after being convinced to try them once.

• Love 1

I think the Lip Bar ladies made a mistake by not really pushing the fact their products are paraben, GMO, etc. free and vegan. That should be their target market and they should make their tagline something along those lines, not empowering women. I do agree with Mark on the logo - - showing a martini glass with red lips doesn't exactly say "empower women" or tell anyone that the products are vegan and, I would assume, not tested on animals. I try to be as green as possible and not use products tested on animals so I would check out their lipsticks if I knew that.

I also think the app to design your own color is clever, provided that they would make it very clear that all sales are final because there is the possibility the color won't come out as the purchaser believes.

The Lip Bar truck is a horrible idea.

I like the dog treat idea although I have a dog on a prescription diet who cannot eat treats. I agree with everyone else that they appeared to be on the show for PR, not to make a deal.

• Love 3

All the sharks were really punchy during that segment. Those jokes, the tastevin, the nickname, and Daymond countering to "stick it to Lori". It makes me wonder if there was a really long break before his pitch and they were all a bit stir crazy. I think both "Zonk" and his friend took it in stride though. It's a goofy product with a superfluous model so they had to expect something like that.

I thought the pool cup segment would have made more sense after the food cutting thing. I don't know what order these were filmed in, but the food cutter lady chose Lori over Daymond. I was really happy Daymond didn't pull that accept now crap with that woman. I liked her idea even if it's not for everyone. I probably would have gotten a kick out of that product as a kid.

Speaking of which, Mark five-second-shot-clock Cuban had the audacity to lecture someone about the virtue of hearing all offers last night. Just goes to my theory that Mark's insistence that people accept immediately is not based on any principle, unless that principle is always do what's best for Mark. I was happy to see him lose that one. 

• Love 1

Regarding the food cutter thing. Just buy some cookie cutters, and voila! They makes small size ones, too. It also didn't look that simple to use.

Agreed. And if your kid will only eat things cut into small squares or triangles and you are unable to figure out that the knife you already own will do that task perfectly well, you deserve to waste your money on the stupid FunBites thing or whatever it was called.

I thought the pool cup segment would have made more sense after the food cutting thing. I don't know what order these were filmed in, but the food cutter lady chose Lori over Daymond.

They weren't even necessarily pitching on the same day, or week. They do these in three week sprints I think. It's all edited together later. I've never been sure what kind of narrative, if any, they're going for in how they choose the order things are presented within one show.

They weren't even necessarily pitching on the same day, or week. They do these in three week sprints I think. It's all edited together later. I've never been sure what kind of narrative, if any, they're going for in how they choose the order things are presented within one show.

I know they aren't necessarily filmed right after the other, but I think they do film a lot of pitches the same day when possible. Since we have 3 configurations of sharks though, I think the odds are decent they were filmed on the same day. It just would have made the episode seem more cohesive if we saw Daymond try for revenge after Lori won a deal he wanted. I do think they saved the food cutting thing for last because it was more dramatic with the way Mark ended it.

FunBites: If you need to cut cake into "fun shapes" to persuade your kids to eat it, you are doing something wrong.

Or brownies or other snack food. Unless the kid is on the Atkins diet, they will easily eat cake or any other sweet treat.