Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E13: J.K. Simmons / D'Angelo

• Start Topic

How about he does a Farmer's Insurance Commercial as Vern Schilling?

I want a sketch with Him, Kate as Flo, Kenan as Dennis Haysbert and Taran as the Gecko in a multi car accident or even just them carpooling and they get into an accident (I thought about the Geico Caveman but then remembered Phil Hartman and figured they wouldn't go there)

• Love 7

Cold Open: And we start with Richard Sherman and Marhawn Lynch. And I'll be the first to say "Key & Peele did this better yesterday." But I liked it.

Monologue: Well, he got the Yellow M&M, Farmer's Insurance and Growing Up Fischer references put of the way. Even though I was saying "not another goddamn song monologue," I can't stop watching JK Simmons berating cast members for sucking at playing instruments. Especially to actual drummer Fred Armisen. Leslie Jones was, again, awesome.

Totino's Super Bowl Activity Pack For Women: Such a great slam at all those guy-centric football commercials. I love Beck actually asking JK if his wife wanted to watch, only for him to say "nah, she's got her own activity pack" then cut to her playing with a sticky hand toy on the fridge.

Miss Trash 2015: JK Simmons is so great being a smarmy bastard, and the ladies were great being the trashiest women possible. I laughed at "the winner will be sent to the hospital while the runner ups will be sent to prison."

Alternate Ending to Casablanca: JK and Kate make a great team. Yeah, it was essentially "Kate says stuff in a funny voice for 4 minutes," but nothing much else came of it.

Teacher's Snow Day: I know lots of people that'll love this one. I know lots of teachers, and this is not very far off from the truth. This was amazing.

WU: "Joe Biden: DTF." One Dimensional Female Character in a Male-Driven Comedy was back. But the only part I liked this time was when her "baby" was the one from American Sniper. Jebediah Atkinson was back, too and did slightly better with the Grammy bashing. "The spotify playlist of a 12 year old girl" is the perfect description of the Grammys. Hell, Jebediah Atkinson and Riblet are my dream WU anchors now.

Pushy: A Clippy sketch. Are we in 2002 now? (At least they mentioned that). "Helvetica Bonham Carter." I wish I could be in the writer's room when they pitched the fonts. Goddamn did Pushy taunt us for trying to kill him and then rub it in our faces for not doing it. That was a nice touch. That Asshole.

The Jay-Z Story: Mike O'Brien as Jay-Z! That was great, especially with Jason Sudeikis coming back as Kanye and JK as Nas. Having Mike's face on things when Jay-Z's would be was a great touch.

Career Day: JK Simmons is a Japanese Messy Boy, and is VERY earnest about describing his work. My God was this amazing. No wonder they saved this one for the end, this wouldn't have flown pre-Update. I think Bobby and Leslie being so interested was the topper for me. I'll admit I laughed really hard at the reveal of JK's job.

Well, JK Simmons, as predicted, was awesome. Everything else? Besides the taped stuff, lots of "ehhhhhh" from me. See y'all for the 40th Anniversary Special!

• Love 5

Cold Open: Sports are my kryptonite, but even I haven't been able to avoid all the Super Bowl talk this week. I feel like this was good just because it covered a lot of bases. Nothing special, really.

Monologue: Heh, this was good! I didn't even dread a song monologue because I knew it would just turn into JK bashing everybody. But, Fred...go home, buddy.

Totinos: Oh my God yes. And that little activity pack was literally just all those crappy little things I used to buy at the dollar store as a kid. Beck was funny as the guy who was like "hey, maybe she wants to watch the game with us."

Miss Trash 2015: Not too strong as the first live sketch post-monologue, but not bad. Kate, as usual, was perfection. I also loved Vanessa as Miss Vermont who signed up for the wrong pageant.

Cinema Classics: "No nonononononono." Marry me, Kate McKinnon.

Teacher Snow Day: Good concept, but something about the editing seemed off. Idk, it just never got enough momentum for me to get into it.

Weekend Update: I didn't think Cecily's male-centered comedy girl would get an encore, and I thought I wouldn't find it as funny the second time, but it still managed to get me. If anything, I think this time was funnier. And yeeeesss, Jebidiah! I've missed him!

Microsoft Word: Is there actually a Pushy thing you can use in Word now (I don't think I have the latest version; my computer is still Windows 7 because Windows 8 looks like a nightmare)? But even if it wasn't, it was a good exaggeration of that little paper clip guy from the previous versions of Word. Bobby was really hilarious in this, but these kinds of characters are right up his alley.

The Jay Z Story: Sudeikis! This was really clever. I think Mike O'Brien is much better served focusing on these little films. But I realized as I watched it that it's been forever since we've had a Good Neighbor one. Maybe they're not going over well so they've pulled back? Idk, I like some of them, but I could see how they're not everyone's thing.

Career Day: Is a "Japanese Messy Boy" a real thing?

Super awkward long goodbyes.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 1

Weekend Update: I didn't think Cecily's male-centered comedy girl would get an encore, and I thought I wouldn't find it as funny the second time, but it still managed to get me. If anything, I think this time was funnier.

I felt that 90% of it was just the same jokes from the first time around - we get it, you wear a jersey and you don't get fat. The one addition - the American Sniper baby - was the only part I found funny this time.

Other than the Miss Trash Pageant, which I wasn't feeling at all, I thought this one was super solid.  JK is such  a charismatic presence. He fit in beautifully.  And I honestly couldn't tell that he was reading cue cards.   I hope he comes back.

In the monologue, I only wish he had badgered Fred about coming back so much.  And I just can't get enough of Leslie.  I love that she blurted her age out.  She owns it, and it is inspiring.  

Jebediah!  Where have you been, you silly bitch?   It's about time.

And Jason!  I know it wasn't a live sketch, but good to see him too.  I guess he is not completely over the show as I thought/feared.

The last sketch was classic ten to one.  It felt like a Will Forte Sketch.   But yeah, they could have done another sketch doing the goodbyes.  That might have been the longest goodbye I've seen.  Some of the cast were were looking like "is this ever going to end? " 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Cold Open: Key and Peele called again, they want their sketch idea back. This was boring and not very inventive. I would've liked it if they referenced the Marshawn and Gronk playing Mortal Kombat X with Conan. It wouldn't have saved the sketch but it would've made me at least appreciate it more. 

Monologue: Obligatory Whiplash related bit. I was slightly afraid it would be a singing monologue (even though JK is a damn good singer) but my fears were dashed soon. I wasn't a huge fan of this but I did enjoy a few lines like Pete saying "I can't practice 100 hours a week" and Leslie yelling at JK. And for once, Fred Armisen showed up and I didn't hate it. He's a damn good drummer (which I knew about previously)

Totinos: Vanessa Bayer really nails that thinly veiled madness in a guise of a suburban housewife. There's always that little sliver of madness underlying everything. And I liked how this was a sendup of the women serving men commercials and I liked how infantile the activities were. It just really brought home the idea of how messed up these commercials really are. 

Miss Trash 2015: I enjoyed JK as the smarmy host but everything else about this sketch just did not work for me. There was no point really and it didn't seem like it had a point to it. They needed more focus. Was it about JK being smarmy as hell? Was it about Vanessa being out of place? Was it about how ridiculous all them are. They didn't really show off true trashiness either. It just was lacking a lot of bite. 

Alternate Ending to Casablanca: First off, I think they cut in late with this sketch because next thing I knew it was Kenan sitting there talking about the episode at hand. I felt like this had more potential but it still was pretty good. I would've enjoyed the ending more like if Rick said something like "That's why you're going to stay here!" put on a wig and get onto the plane. Or maybe Louis and Rick end up living happily ever after. I'm not sure. The sketch could've been better but it doesn't mean it was awful. 

Teacher's Snow Day: This was amazing. I loved that it included the entire cast or at least most of them. It did have a bit of a slow burn in the beginning but by the end it was just flat out amazing. Also, who knew JK Simmons could rap? That was pretty great. And also, I like that he seems to have no shame and is wiling to do pretty much anything. 

Weekend Update: It was alright. There were some good jokes about Tom Petty and Joe Biden DTF but the chemistry between Colin and Michael is just not there. And I hated the stupid Girl in Male Driven Comedy bit but I didn't like it to begin with anyway. Then came Jebediah Atkinson. My goodness do I love that character and he did not disappoint. And holy crap were some of his jokes super biting. That Michael Jackson one....holy damn. I actually did that "OMG did he really just say that?!" laugh when I heard it. There were some really good ones in there too. So basically Update was middling, Girl in Comedy sucked, and Jebediah Atkinson was amazing.

Pushie: My mom was watching this with me and was laughing a lot more than I was. I found it amusing as hell but my mom was like "This is exactly how I feel with a lot of these things!" plus, that goddamn paperclip in Word IS really obnoxious. There was a lot to like about this and I really enjoyed it. 

Jay-Z Story: A pretty biting satire at how a good chunk of roles that should go to non-white folk end up going to white folk. Mike O'Brien loves making sketches like this, doesn't he? Regardless, it was still pretty decent. Nice to see Jason Sudeikis and JK as Nas was pretty amusing. 

Career Day: This sketch could've gone so wrong so fast if it wasn't for JK's performance. He just absolutely sold this sketch with his earnest and casual way of talking about his job. And I liked the reactions of the others around him, particularly Leslie and Bobby. Also Pete as the embarrassed son was great. I wish they spent more time on the questions, but other than that, this sketch was golden. 

Other than the Cold Open and Miss Trash 2015, this episode is really really good. Those two weigh it down quite a bit. Career Day and Teacher's Snow Day were the best of the night. And the host was awesome. Probably one of my favorites so far this season. 

So I'm assuming that the next two Saturdays will be reruns (with the Sunday after next being the 40th Anniversary Special)? Well it's a nice note to leave viewers on with this episode.

• Love 3

Great show.

And I can't stop laughing about the idea of Riblet and Jebediah co-hosting WU.

I noticed Colin and Michael shaking hands and acknowledging each other at the end of WU. It's like they read the criticism that it seems like they hate each other. But it didn't help. The segment still feels it's cutting back and forth between two disconnected anchors of two entirely separate shows.

Oh, and I love Biden (DTF). I love that our VP has brains, but despite being in politics for a very long time, still lacks the politician veneer and goes off-script so often and in such a manner that the joke feels fair and almost affectionate.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Our almighty friend Google says it is.

Really? I gritted my teeth and did a Google search for "Japanese messy boys," fully expecting the worst, but I didn't find anything.

I feel out of touch - I also have no idea if Microsoft has really introduced a new character similar to the paper clip.

• Love 1

Watching so far and the "Casablanca alternate ending" sketch is my favorite. Kate McKinnon's goofy Ingrid Bergman had me laughing all the way through.

Also like on Weekend Update Jost about Disney having a Latina princess "Oh but when I call someone a Latina princess I'm (airquotes)'ruining the quinceanera!" and Che asking aside "How many quiceanearas are you going to?"

LOL at Jason Sudeikis as Kanye West! "Let's go practice rapping!"

Why was D'Angelo dressed like Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name" when he was singing?
  • Love 1

... but the chemistry between Colin and Michael is just not there.

To even gauge chemistry, they'd have to actually interact because:

The segment still feels it's cutting back and forth between two disconnected anchors of two entirely separate shows.

Yep. But even separately, I feel like Jost and Che should be somewhat better by now. AKA halfway through the season.

Jedidiah! Can't wait for his take on the Oscars!

• Love 2

Ok I thought this was pretty terrible. I love JK back from his Skoda days but they didn't know what to do with him.

Miss Trash: another skit about pathetic women who have no self- awareness. Aidy does her usual sassy schtick.

Teacher Snow Day: They're going to keep doing these until they get another Lazy Sunday hit. Conservative white people doing hardcore rap. So refreshing.

Casablanca: Kate saved this skit but went a minute too long.

WU: As someone who found Seth Meyers completely bland, Jost makes him look like Norm MacDonald. Only highlight was Jebediah.

• Love 1

I was surprised I enjoyed the show as much as I did....but Weekend Update is just not cutting it. In my opinion there is just no chemistry or anything funny about Jost or Che, Especially Jost. He comes off like a creepy college frat guy. When Weekend Update comes on, the show just comes to a screeching halt. Just my two cents,.

• Love 2

That was the last episode I will ever watch.  I've been a loyal viewer since the 70's, and last night finished it for me.  Those t-shirts did it.  Funny show, otherwise.  Too bad.

Really of all the stuff they've done, the commentaries they've made on the Eric Garner case. Sinead and the Pope all of it, and T-shirts have driven you away forever?  that's just sad.

I noticed Colin and Michael shaking hands and acknowledging each other at the end of WU. It's like they read the criticism that it seems like they hate each other. But it didn't help. The segment still feels it's cutting back and forth between two disconnected anchors of two entirely separate shows.

They really need to come up with a segment Like really with Seth and Amy or the Joke off that Tina and Jimmy used to do. I think part of the problem is Jost and Che aren't friends.  I'm not sure how close Tina and Jimmy were but everything I've seen from them since suggests they are close.  Tina and Amy are friends, so are Seth and Amy, I know there were issues with Seth and Cecily a little but Seth had been doing WU for so long he could mix it a little better. 

I think Colin's doing ok, but yeah it feels like Colin's writing his jokes Michael's writing his and then they both alternate as opposed to writing WU together

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas
  • Love 6

Jost continues to crack my shit up on a regular basis, but for some reason I do pick up on competitiveness between the two of them, which is not great. Not hatred, mind you--I've never sensed that--but rivalry. Such that when Che gets a big laugh, he's saying "See, I'm the better one," and conversely when Che flubs a joke because he's not reading it correctly, Jost secretly smiles inside. And the same going the other direction, when a Jost joke lays an egg. All of that could be in my head. But if so, why is it in my head? It never used to be with any other pairing.

• Love 1
Those t-shirts did it.  Funny show, otherwise.  Too bad.

I can only assume you mean Miss Delaware's t-shirt and the related sketch, because that really WAS the most offensive thing about last night.

J.K. Simmons was another really energizing host. These last three have really been all-in, and I think it's been the writing that has failed them more than anything else. That said, I thought last night's show was definitely the best of the three and there were some real highlights:

• Casablanca's alternative ending is one of the best sketches of the year so far, I think. Kate McKinnon for everything.
  • Vanessa Bayer absolutely nailing the Totino's Activity Pack commercial, and skewering all sorts of modern society along with it.
  • Teacher's Snow Day. I used to be a teacher...and this made me laugh and simultaneously wait for backlash by teachers (and those who represent them) who cannot/will not find humor in anything related to teachers.
  • Twas an unsteady start but ultimately solid Weekend Update. I actually yelled "Che, get it together!" out loud when he flubbed, but then he came back and absolutely killed it with the postage stamp bit. That was brilliant.
  • And finally...D'Angelo, your "Untitled (How Does It Feel)" video made me want you. Your use of the SNL stage to send a powerful message without words made me respect you. Well done.
  • Love 6

Also re-watching the real Casablanca scene and I now realize Kate's Ingrid Berman impression in terms of accent is more spot on than I thought. Also Kate saying "No Richard no no no NO!" is still making me laugh.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6

Overall, a good show. JK is super professional, one of those hosts that knows what he needs to do and does it, without going over the top like Jim Carrey, for example.

Loved the Totino's commercial, it just made me happy.

WU- once Che remarked about the quincineras that Jost had been to, I thought for sure Jost would comment back, even offscreen, but no. Interact, you two!

Mike O'Brien is so awesome, although I'm wondering why Sasheer was playing Beyonce when everyone else was white, perhaps Aidy would have been funnier in the role. And since I've been watching the SNL marathon for hours, I wasn't phased by seing Sudeikis, until I thought, "Hey, he's not on the show anymore!"

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 1

I thought this ep had some great highs and some bad lows.

I reacted to the Cold Open like some others here: It was better on Key & Peele. The only thing good in this bit was Taran because he makes everything better. I don't even know the coach, but he was great.

I thought the monologue was pretty good because JK is very good. 

The Tortino's Super Bowl Activity Pack commercial was fantastic. Vanessa was great. I'll be thinking about this whenever I see an actual wife-serving-hungry-guys commercial.

Miss Trash was horrible. It was almost saved by Vanessa, but this sketch, well, it should have gone in the trash.

I LOVED the alternate Casablanca ending sketch. Kate was so frigging hilarious! From the beginning with her funny Bergman impression to the very end with "ByeEEEEEEEE!"

As Teacher's Snow Day started, I thought it was a great concept, but there was something off about it, something lacking. When JK as the principal jumped out of his car pant-less, that started the laughs. Still, this sketch didn't get off the ground very far.

The only thing I really liked about WU was Jebediah. He's awesome. I even liked at the very end when the camera is pulling out, Che touches his arm, and Jebediah flinches. Just a little touch, but so funny.

Bobby as Pushy the helpful pushpin was great. I just love him in this. "You selected… BOXES!"

I also loved Mike O'Brien's Jay-Z Story video. That was a lot of fun.

Career Day with JK as a Japanese messy boy could have failed, but it was pretty good. I honestly think my favorite part of it was Peter being so embarrassed. And like others, I wondered if Japanese messy boy was a real thing. I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd never heard of it. 

I guess I liked more in this ep than I thought.

• Love 1

That was the last episode I will ever watch.  I've been a loyal viewer since the 70's, and last night finished it for me.  Those t-shirts did it.  Funny show, otherwise.  Too bad.

I'm really struggling to understand where that is coming from, especially from a long time viewer.  If it is referring to D'Angelo and crew, let me just say regardless of the content, I think the show has always tended to let the musical guests do their thing without much  control and influence.  .

Conservative white people doing hardcore rap. So refreshing.

Basically the whole cast had parts in that, including Kenan, Jay, Leslie, and Sasheer.   Just saying I think that's a little harsh, respectfully.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

Is this the first time that the co-anchors for Weekend Update are both men?  I agree that Jost and Che don't seem to have any chemistry together.  They're actually only a year apart in age, but they almost seem of different generations (Che looks to me like he's almost 40 and Jost looks like he's 25).  

I thought the audience had a weird energy (or lack thereof). So much silence and awkward pauses. It was one of the worst episodes I've seen but I can't tell if it's bad writing or half asleep audience. I love Jebidiah though.

• Love 1

I'm really struggling to understand where that is coming from, especially from a long time viewer.  If it is referring to D'Angelo and crew, let me just say regardless of the content, I think the show has always tended to let the musical guests do their thing without much  control and influence.  .

Sinead O'Connor not included.

• Love 1

Idk if it's Colin or the writing his jokes get or both, but I found myself responding to most of them with a "whaaa???" There's just something about the way they're written or delivered that doesn't make sense. I mean, logically they make sense and I get them, but it's hard to explain. Some kind of cognitive dissonance or something, idk.

I loved a lot of the lines in the monologue. JK to Kyle: "This isn't one of your silly little videos, this is the beginning of the show!" Aidy: "I want Blake Shelton back!"

Forgot to mention Sasheer's Beyonce was awful. She sounded just like Sasheer. Shit, Nicki Minaj did a better Beyonce impression when she was on the show. Diversity aside, I don't see any justification for keeping her around after this season.

Sinead O'Connor not included.

I think the biggest issue the show had with her (and I think the Ashlee Simpson debacle ties into this) is that she didn't tell anyone she was going to do it. The vibe I got from Lorne while reading Live From New York was that he might have been cool with it if she'd asked. Standards and Practices might not have been, but I think he mentioned having some respect for her for doing it. Same with Ashlee Simpson. They might not have let her lipsync, but I think they were more upset that she didn't tell anyone that she planned to do so, not that she actually did it.

I missed the t-shirts (musical guests I don't know are usually when I take a snack break) but I'm sure D'Angelo and his band cleared it with Lorne/whoever and they were cool. I can't see Standards and Practices having an issue.

• Love 3

I missed the t-shirts (musical guests I don't know are usually when I take a snack break)

Yeah, I didn't notice them until the goodbyes.

Sinead is the exception.  I think that was done for shock value and maybe to offend.  You could almost feel everyone gasping.  As far as I can tell, nobody else on the internet today is  commenting on the shirts.  i agree that they probably had them on during rehearsal too and nobody was caught off guard.

Edited by vb68

Forgot to mention Sasheer's Beyonce was awful. She sounded just like Sasheer. Shit, Nicki Minaj did a better Beyonce impression when she was on the show. Diversity aside, I don't see any justification for keeping her around after this season.

I think that was the joke since nobody sounded like the real person, just super-square versions  i.e. Kanye West: "Holy guacamole!". If they were going for a completely white-washed cast it probably would have been Cecily playing Beyonce, except for y'know.... reasons.

I just checked her instagram and all the pics of Mike are gone. Makes me personally sad because they were cute together.

Edited by VCRTracking

Really? I gritted my teeth and did a Google search for "Japanese messy boys," fully expecting the worst, but I didn't find anything.

Yeah, that's odd. I swear I saw different results come up last night. Oh well.

• Love 1

Sinead is the exception.  I think that was done for shock value and maybe to offend.  You could almost feel everyone gasping.  

Sinead O'Connor ripped up her picture of the pope to protest against sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.  I don't think she did it to offend, at the time I thought it was awesome, and I still do.

I actually liked most of last night's episode.  JK Simmons is fantastic, and he elevated all of the material.  The only weak spot for me was Weekend Update, as usual. 

• Love 6

He's been gone so long, would they really bring it back in just 3 weeks?

I think they might it's possible the reason they brought him back now was to try and build a little anticipation for him for the Oscars.  (I desperately want to see Jedidah's take on the Emmy's especially if an SNL cast member is nominated)

• Love 1

I wasn't too impressed with the show. The cold opening fell flat, IMO.  I think it went off the rails when Jay, as Richard Sherman said that the Seahawks were going to murder the Patriots, then he said next we're going to murder Brady's family.  He either said "murder" or "go after," pretty sure it was "murder."   I even heard a few groans from the audience on that line.  That's not something Sherman would say  (at least I don't think he would!)   It wasn't funny, IMO.    Most of the show wasn't funny.

I hate Rap music, no matter who is singing it.  Seems like SNL is turning into one big Rap number with most shows.  Ugh!   At least I got a break from it with Blake Shelton hosting, and I don't like country music either, but I'd rather listen to that than Rap. YMMV.

I googled Japanese Messy Boys and it started me down a path I didn't want to go on. I'm not sure what they were doing with this, but it worked because of JK and Pete. 

I didn't care much for the show, but JK is perfection. It's amazing how solid he is on a constant basis. I didn't find much of the material funny but I did enjoy his performances, if that makes any sense. There's something satisfying about seeing an actor who has complete control of his own performance. 

The next best thing about the show was D'Angelo's drummer. I want to rewatch just for him. 

• Love 2

This was the first ep in a long time that I didn't make it to WU.  I love JK Simmons since L&O, but this was just a shit show.  He deserved better writing from the get.  I terminated viewing at the musical guest.  Bitch stole my shawl.