Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Over A Barrel

Secrets are hard to keep, especially when you are keeping them from a loved one. Spencer searches for Mona's missing laptop with Caleb's help but where the search leads them could cross the "Toby approved" line. Aria tries to get up the courage to come clean to Ezra about her lie when she gets diverted by a possible goose chase. And Hanna is stuck in the middle having to cover Ashley's secret when Pastor Ted returns with big news. Meanwhile, Emily struggles to come to terms with the end of her relationship with Paige.

I want to see a scene where Spencer is just walking around town and entering buildings and dragging her fingers over everything she can reach. That way she can never be framed again. Also, the fact that we got to a point where the words "Toby approved line" were said just makes me despair for the show.

• Love 1

I would totally watch a spinoff where Caleb and Spencer open a detective agency. Hanna could be Caleb's girlfriend and Toby is their arch nemesis, the bumbling police officer who never quite catches them even though they are painfully obviously messing with crime scene's and whatnot.

And "Toby approved" makes my skin crawl. I still can't buy into the show runners determination that Toby is some sort of moral compass. I never will.

• Love 7

Lines of the night:  Art guy : "So...your boyfriends a cop."   Spencer:   "He wasn't always."  Me:   "He wasn't four episodes ago."  

Oh yea and Art guy what new kind of evil are you telling Spencer there is no rule that she has to go to college?  Don't you know her parents would through her back into Radley for even thinking of not going to college.

Of Course the storage locker is in Hanna's name.

Of course the new employe at the Brew is attracted to Ezra....although for a moment I thought she was attracted to Emily which would have been more interesting.  

So....is Mona in the barrel?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Soooo, Spencer has bolt cutters in her car, because she wants to be prepared, but she doesn't bring gloves? What's her definition of "prepared?" Seriously, A doesn't have to be an evil genius to beat these idiots. Hell, *I* could plan their downfalls.

• Love 5

Well, A was obviously at Ezra's party thing. Figure it out idiots. 

Also, the only other thing I learned from tonight's episode is Holbrook is not involved. The four girls think he is. So he's clearly not. 

More Caleb/Spencer. I'm getting more and more nervous of where the show is going with him though, he's becoming way too useful for A to allow to stick around. There's something about Caleb and Spencer going behind Toby's back that I really like, too. But then there's the rare part of me that agrees with Toby in a sense..where it's like "OMFG guys..you are out of trouble..stay away from the evidence." 

I really want to know what A's problem with these girls are. 

• Love 1

Of course the new employe at the Brew is attracted to Ezra....although for a moment I thought she was attracted to Emily which would have been more interesting.

I took that as her feeling out if Emily was attracted to Ezra/boys in general.   Poor Em, she can't even be single for an episode.

Who are all these adults trying to date high schoolers?!?

Anyone else feel like PLL was paying homage to Breaking Bad with the barrels and the yellow suit?   

I thought Grunwald said that Mona was buried....

• Love 4

Cater lady proves that no matter your sexual orientation, there are zero appropriate love interests for our 4 girls in Rosewood.  That actress has to be pushing 30, and the character-who owns a catering business (which, why would you go to work making muffins for Ezra if you own your own catering business??)-makes me think the character is also way too old for Emily.  You know what, it'll be nice for Ezra to have a pedophile buddy to commiserate with.  "High school girls are crazy, amiright?"

These dum dums are just.the.worst.  And the way criminal investigations are portrayed on this show is...well, criminal.  The Liar's fingerprints could be all over the evidence, with Hanna's name on the storage unit lease agreement, but there has to be MOTIVE, otherwise the evidence would be ruled as circumstantial.  

• Love 2

Aria really needs to just tell Ezra about the stupid essay and take the ammo away from A. What's the big deal? So she wrote an essay explaining how his pedophile tendencies basically ruined her life... he can't really get too upset, he stalked and spied on her for years in order to write what was surely an awful true crime novel. Just call it even and move on. 

Soooo, Spencer has bolt cutters in her car, because she wants to be prepared, but she doesn't bring gloves? What's her definition of "prepared?" Seriously, A doesn't have to be an evil genius to beat these idiots. Hell, *I* could plan their downfalls.

Right? How do these girls not have gloves on them at all times? Whatever time they don't spend being stalked by a crazed killer or frolicking in dark desolate places, is spent investigating crime scenes and tampering with evidence that could get them thrown in jail for life. By now, they should all be carrying around a utility belt with the necessary tools, like gloves, mace, bolt cutters, and other utensils that could be used to get them out of the myriad of places they end up getting locked in every so often. 

What's up with Toby these last couple of episodes? He seems to be getting angrier and angrier with Spencer. Last week he grabbed her rather roughly while screaming at her, which clearly shocked her, and this week he's throwing her phone (though not actually at her) because he doesn't like what she's doing with Caleb. He's not her dad, if she wants to make dangerously stupid decisions, that's her choice, not his. Just because he became a cop in record speed doesn't give him the right to order her around. I hope this is all leading up to a breakup, I don't like Officer Toby. 

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 4

So now it's Hanna's turn to be set up as a murderer? Are they going to go through the liars one at a time setting them up to be a murderer? We just had this plot with Spencer, I don't need to see the same thing again.

• Love 2

It's outlandish because of the evidence stated, but a small part of me wishes Mona is overall A at end game and staged this entire thing with Allison from beginning to end. Mona until she revealed herself and Allison when Mona was in Radley and then Allison came back and "kills" Mona and it turns out to be this giant game they played.

Part of me says that because I love Janel Parrish and think Mona was a great character that got killed before she was really used to her limits.

• Love 2

Toby totally irked me for one huge reason: do not text someone the message "call me." If you want to talk to her on the phone, call her yourself!

While I am glad that Caleb thinks he didn't leave any fingerprints, why didn't he and Spencer bring gloves if they KNEW they were going to go poking around a storage unit looking for Mona's laptop? I totally love them playing detective together though. Of course, Spencer lost points with for her illogical inability to hand over an egg before kicking out the new guy. Look, I don't give a crap about this hippie who is digging through the trash to make homemade paint, but did she really need to make him wait until she got home that night just to give him an egg? Heh, on the other hand, go buy your own eggs, dude!

Art guy : "So...your boyfriends a cop."   Spencer:   "He wasn't always."  Me:   "He wasn't four episodes ago."

Hahahaha! It's funny because it's true! I want to be glad that Toby is taking his duties as a cop so seriously because, let's face it, the cops of Rosewood aren't really into evidence. They will arrest anyone with a shovel and ignore all pedophile activity. But at the same time, I'm like come on, Toby, SLOW YOUR DAMN ROLL. He knows what Rosewood PD is like and he knows what it's like dealing with A. He should be a lot more sympathetic/helpful than he is.

Speaking of people whose rolls need to be slowed, the new chick needs to calm down with all the changes at the Brew. As far as I recall, Ezra only hired her to cook stuff. That doesn't mean she is in charge of rearranging supplies or deciding if the staff wears uniforms. Get back in the kitchen, woman! I couldn't believe Emily just stood there silently while the new chick ogled Ezra's ass. The old Emily and any of the other liars would have said, "Yeah, you'd have to ask my friend Aria since she's his girlfriend." Haha, I wish Emily had said, "I have never looked because HE WAS MY ENGLISH TEACHER UNTIL HE GOT FIRED FOR BONING AN UNDERAGE STUDENT."

the character-who owns a catering business (which, why would you go to work making muffins for Ezra if you own your own catering business??)-makes me think the character is also way too old for Emily.  You know what, it'll be nice for Ezra to have a pedophile buddy to commiserate with.  "High school girls are crazy, amiright?"

Ha, who needs to own their own catering business when they could be making muffins at the coffee shop? Should I be glad that we are finally getting a female adult character who is into high school girls? Like yay, equal opportunity perving in Rosewood?

• Love 6

I would so watch every episode of the Spencer and Caleb detective agency show although the fact that Spencer has bolt cutters (and God knows what else) in her car and not gloves made me shake my head. Those two and Hanna make this show must-see for me.

Shut up, Toby. This whole drama with Aria's letter that Ezra just cannot know about is a waste. Open your damn mouth and speak the truth before A does, you ninnies! Ezra's caterer/cook/whatever can have him, I wondered if she was testing Emily or something when she directed Emily to check out her current employer's ass (EW). I wanna say Emily didn't say anything about him already having a girlfriend because she was soooo uncomfortable she wanted to get the hell away. And that hippie guy that moved into the barn, can he be the next corpse found in/around Rosewood? He ANNOYS me to no end and this was what, the second ep he was in?

I felt so, so awful for Pastor Ted. I actually cringed when Ashley was all "uh gimme a minute BRB..." and left him with Hanna. Poor guy.

• Love 1

I thought it was so sweet that Hanna kept Pastor Ted's seret and didn't tip her mom off about his plan to propose. And poor Pastor Ted. Any time a woman doesn't immediately say yes to a proposal, that is...not good.

I also loved that Hanna was very direct and confronted Ashley about sleeping with Jason, pointing out that he was Ali's brother and Ashley's boss which made the whole situation doubly awkward.

• Love 2

So now it's Hanna's turn to be set up as a murderer? Are they going to go through the liars one at a time setting them up to be a murderer? We just had this plot with Spencer, I don't need to see the same thing again.

I want it to be Aria's turn soooooo bad. Just to have her part of the actual mystery. "Yes Aris there is an A". Would be so much fun and would break Twitter in to tiny little pieces.

<~~~~edited because autocorrect is funny.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Cater lady proves that no matter your sexual orientation, there are zero appropriate love interests for our 4 girls in Rosewood.  That actress has to be pushing 30, and the character-who owns a catering business (which, why would you go to work making muffins for Ezra if you own your own catering business??)-makes me think the character is also way too old for Emily.  You know what, it'll be nice for Ezra to have a pedophile buddy to commiserate with.  "High school girls are crazy, amiright?"

These dum dums are just.the.worst.  And the way criminal investigations are portrayed on this show is...well, criminal.  The Liar's fingerprints could be all over the evidence, with Hanna's name on the storage unit lease agreement, but there has to be MOTIVE, otherwise the evidence would be ruled as circumstantial.  

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by why the caterer lady is suddenly serving muffins at a start-up coffee shop. It's such a silly plot, all to get Em a new love interest who is completely inappropriate for her? 

To be fair, many trials are won on circumstantial evidence. And it's not like the justice system is Rosewood makes any sense anyway. 

• Love 2

I felt bad for Pastor Ted and Hannah too. Her mother is kind of toxic, ruins the good and happiness in her life she could have had. She's self destructive, but it doesn't just hurt her but the good people around her like Ted and now robbing Hannah of having Ted in her life. Where Hannah has to be more the parent in that house. 

After 5 seasons, you'd think any of them would learn by now. Aria should have told Ezra the truth the second she saw the bookmark. Take the power from A, but these girls don't think like that at all. Instead the give in.

If Spencer was picking colleges far away, how about Stanford, Berkeley? There are great colleges far away she could have chosen.

I don't think the new employee is after Ezra, I think she was feeling out Emily.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

So, maybe I wasn't paying attention but did Hanna admit she was "H" (not Holbrook) and sent the flowers?  Maybe Holbrook is in the barrel - Mona would be too easy/obvious. 

Count me in as fan of Caleb and Spencer's doing the Hardy Boy/Nancy Drew thing, even if both need a pair of gloves.  

I had to laugh when Aria's email to Jackie came out of the register.  How in the world does A (the writers) do these things or think of these crazy ways to torture the girls?  

• Love 1

So if they never find Mona's body, it will still be assumed she is in the barrel. ETA: I doubt it's Holbrook because he probably hasn't been gone long enough for the smell to have been a repeated issue, those weren't his clothes on the shelves, and it'd be harder to frame Hanna for it. But it would not be hard to argue for motive for Hanna to kill Mona after their history. Also, it does seem like A is framing them one after the other - except Aria, of course. Never Aria. And again Aria's drama is Ezra-related; this is a rehash of every other season. I'd rather A not targeted her at all, ever, than this bullshit equivalence where this total utter crap with the letter is anywhere near the same level as Mona in a barrel and being framed for murder. It is not even funny for me anymore, just disgusting. I should just quit this tween-audience show.

Why did they not take Mona's laptop with them when they left? It was supposed to be there and that was what they were looking for, initially.

If Spencer was picking colleges far away, how about Stanford, Berkeley? There are great colleges far away she could have chosen.

These are the ones that accepted her.

I also thought that Caterer Lady (Do we have a name for her? I think we do, but can't remember it yet.) was testing out Emily's sexual orientation - it went well with the neutral language she used when discussing exes - but, by the gods, was it awkward. I bet the tweens squeed over it (especially as it involved Ezra), but I just thought it was lame in a 25+ year old. And it doesn't even make sense as Emily could have been bisexual, or just not into Ezra, or not into asses.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 2

Wow, another great episode!

Do we have a new director? This show has always been pretty but we've been getting some especially great transitions (sp?) and the photography in some scenes is also quite striking lately. Speaking of striking, Hanna has been looking so beautiful! I'm ashamed to say I thought Ashley Benson looked rough for a while there after Spring Breakers. I'm glad she's looking her best again.

Still with Hanna, I was very pleased with how her and her mom's storyline was handled. I don't know if it's because I'm rewatching Gilmore Girls, but I got a hint of rory/lorelai from their interaction, only with a lot better boundaries and not a hint of self-righteousness from Hanna at all. I was very pleased.

And while I get why Hanna was sad, Ted clearly would make a great stepdad, I'll reiterate Ashley can do so much better.

I shipped Jason and Aria back in the day so I was greatly (but pleasantly) shocked we got them doing lunch together seemingly out of nowhere. I don't think this will lead anywhere but I part of wants to dream.

Another good surprise was the new character who's getting to interact with Spencer. I didn't initially like his introduction but in the spam of one episode I went from appreciating the pov he brings to kinda sorta picturing him and Spencer together because, by GOD, that girl looked so damn happy during their conversation and she seems in desperate need of something new in he life. Her and Toby are way past stale at this point.

My one complaint was the comment about Ezra's butt. I actually said ewwwwwwwwwwwww out loud and this is no slight to Ian Harding's assents. Poor Emily looked so utterly uncomfortable.

Speaking of Emily , I'm glad she got the memo Paige obviously meant she wanted some space when she moved to another state and stopped answering her calls. I get the feeling they might have talked off screen and Paige spelled it out or maybe I'm underestimating Emily.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

These are the ones that accepted her.

I kept wondering how everyone knew those were acceptance letters when they kept saying Spencer hadn't opened them yet. 

I also thought that Caterer Lady (Do we have a name for her? I think we do, but can't remember it yet.) was testing out Emily's sexual orientation - it went well with the neutral language she used when discussing exes - but, by the gods, was it awkward. I bet the tweens squeed over it (especially as it involved Ezra), but I just thought it was lame in a 25+ year old. And it doesn't even make sense as Emily could have been bisexual, or just not into Ezra, or not into asses.

Right? She could have also just said "Um that's my friends boyfriend!" Stupid test by pervy older lady. Why do all these adults hit on high school students?

• Love 1

I kind of feel like Pastor Ted when I watch this train wreck of a show these days - it was good while it lasted but it might be time to say enough is enough. And yet I know I will probably never do it.

From Talia who perfectly understood Emily in like a day (and is no doubt going to be making out with her in two episodes tops) to Toby's utterly bizarre and sudden love for the letter of the law and random pretentious dude who for some reason moved into Spencer's backyard and speaks in nothing but platitudes - none of this gives me the impression that anyone in this show is even trying. Half of the actors seem to be going through the motions too. The scrabble scene didn't seem like a nice continuity bit, it merely reminded me that this show was actually pretty damned good once. Back when it had characters instead of caricatures and an actual plot (not a particularly well thought one, mind you), rather than a pile of seemingly random twists and turns. And shocking loud music and "revelations" just before the commercial break than never amount to anything. I mean, was anyone at all fooled by that suit that Caleb thought was human?

• Love 1
I kept wondering how everyone knew those were acceptance letters when they kept saying Spencer hadn't opened them yet.

Cause they were big envelopes. When it's a decline it's usually just a sheet or two, but acceptance comes with more information, at least that's how it works on TV and movies. It's been a while since I saw college apps so IDK about RL.

I really want that Spencer/Caleb spinoff, but I want Caleb to be living with Hanna and Ashley (because I love them too). lol

We all know Ezzzria is icky, a teacher screwing his student, but I felt equally icky at the idea that a cop is dating a high school student. Of course, it usually takes more than a few days to become a cop but still, it was really...the relationship on this show are just fucked up.

I like painter guy. I like seeing Spencer smile. I like Spencer having someone non-angsty in her life. Toby can take a bullet for all I care. I'm sick of his self-righteousness. I don't even care if he's right or not, he is NOT Spencer's father. He doesn't get to tell her how to behave. That is my #1 pet peeve in a relationship.

My heart broke for Pastor Ted. I don't care for him that much, would have been fine if Ashley and him had broken up off screen, but seeing how excited he was about proposing, and how cute it was, it was heartbreaking to see her run off. I get why she did it, she is wrestling with whether/how to tell him she schtuped Jason, but still, heartbreaking. Loved Hanna with him (no, not in the typical Rosewood way! lol), she was so sweet. She really is the heart of the Liars.

Aria...yawn

Emily...yawn

• Love 6
We all know Ezzzria is icky, a teacher screwing his student, but I felt equally icky at the idea that a cop is dating a high school student. Of course, it usually takes more than a few days to become a cop but still, it was really...the relationship on this show are just fucked up.

How old is Toby anyway? I thought he was the same age as the liars (or maybe a year or two older) but dropped out of school or something.  Can you even become a cop if you don't finish high school?

• Love 1

Hanna is so my favorite. What a sweetheart. Of all the times aria is terrible (when shes with ezra, when she talks about ezra, when she ignores her friends problems etc...) she's never more terrible than she is when she yells at hanna. Seriously, Aria, DONT YELL AT HANNA!!!

Speaking of Aria, I don't know if that knife was used to kill Mona, but i'm pretty sure Aria used it to shred the shoulders off her dress and definitely to kill the bird(S) she used to make her earrings. 

• Love 2

Oh, no, I am right there with you.  I started thinking about, "well, if someone has been dating someone a long time, etc, but I just kept coming back to COPS SHOULD NOT DATE GIRLS WHO ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL EVEN IF THEY ARE LEGAL, EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEEN HELD BACK A FEW TIMES.  NOT COOL.  Like, I kept trying not to get judgy about it, and nope.  That did not work.

• Love 2

Aria's drama is so contrived I don't care.  I'm sure it'll be resolved with her finally confessing to Ezra in some overly dramatic fashion, and he'll have a complete non-reation.  "I understand, you just wrote that to get into college, you don't really mean it.  Here, lets put bags on our heads and drink overpriced coffee pretentiously".

Toby last week:  "There are things I can't know!"

Toby this week:  "What did you and Caleb find!"

Shut up Toby.

I liked the Marin family drama, but Hanna needs to realize that her mother slept with Jason for a reason.  Maybe Ashley's being self-destructive because she doesn't feel like she deserves Ted.  Or maybe she's trying to drive Ted away for his own good before Rosewood's atmosphere or water or telluric currents or whatever turn him into a teen-chasing perv.  Or maybe (this is my theory) she's realized how bland and uninteresting Ted is and wants to dump him.

Also, I don't agree that Ashley needs to tell Ted what happened.  If it was a one-time mistake, then she should keep it to herself.  Confessing would make her feel better, but would make Ted feel worse. 

I'm pretty sure I hate the Talia character.  She's known Emily for maybe a day and was way out of line giving relationship advice to a total stranger.  Emily was letting her hostility show, but really she should have just let into the woman and told her to back off.

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by why the caterer lady is suddenly serving muffins at a start-up coffee shop. It's such a silly plot, all to get Em a new love interest who is completely inappropriate for her?

I've fan-wanked that her catering business isn't a full-fledged enterprise but just a side thing.  My aunt used to make wedding cakes as a source of supplemental income, but it wasn't a full-time job.  Basically a few steps up from a hobby.

• Love 2

Why did they not take Mona's laptop with them when they left? It was supposed to be there and that was what they were looking for, initially.

Why do they keep making the same mistakes over and over again? Instead of doing what they always do (leave everything alone), why didn't Spencer and Caleb call the cops about the storage room? They wiped everything down, there was no trace they were there (and they didn't know about Hanna's name on the lease at that point), why not place an anonymous call and watch from the shadows?

• Love 1
They wiped everything down, there was no trace they were there (and they didn't know about Hanna's name on the lease at that point), why not place an anonymous call and watch from the shadows?

Had they called the police and had Hanna been arrested, we would have said "Don't they ever learn?" because they were already on alert, expecting Ali to frame them. So yes, I agreed with their decision this time. They had no idea there would be a bin of sin in there. They wanted to investigate on their own first because they suspected Holbrook got the laptop; in their experience crooked policemen are unlikely to go under real scrutiny unless a body is found (ironic in this case though) - see Garett, Wilden. It was supposed to be no different than entering Melissa's place, or Ali's house, or searching for the A Mobile. Sure, after they got in, they realized things were different. But at that point, while they could have explained how they got there (Mona's security company would confirm), illegally getting inside the room was not likely to score points with the police. So, after that, they left to regroup. It makes sense to find out the name on the lease, even if they decided to call the police later, as they wanted that name and it's not like the police would have given it to them.

I don't agree that Ashley needs to tell Ted what happened.  If it was a one-time mistake, then she should keep it to herself.  Confessing would make her feel better, but would make Ted feel worse.

This. Unless Ashley is ready to turn down Ted's proposal and break up - for which an explanation would be needed - there is no reason to tell him anything. He was gone for months and she had an improptu quickie (it wasn't even a one-night stand: Jason immediately left :D ) If she still wants to make their relationship work, and she tells him just to help her process and/or in the name of honesty... there are no winners in this scenario. "I do want to marry you, but I fucked Jason." Why even go there?

• Love 2
Or maybe (this is my theory) she's realized how bland and uninteresting Ted is and wants to dump him.

I agree with your entire post and my take on the whole thing was that the novelty of dating a Minister and whatever moral validation that gave Ashley definitely wore off.

Had they called the police and had Hanna been arrested, we would have said "Don't they ever learn?" because they were already on alert, expecting Ali to frame them.

Uhg, this so much. I'm actually under the opinion the show has done a solid job of establishing, for years now, why going to the police is simply not an option and it keeps giving more and more reasons why as times goes on. I actually though both Caleb and Spencer showed incredible restraint in not taking Mona's laptop with them and/or called the police. I don't think I would have resisted and it would have been a terrible idea.

While we're at it, I don't think these characters' decision making skills, generally, are nearly as bad as some posters make it out. I definitely don't think they're stupid most of the time but they have done stupid things for sure. Hanna and the gun comes to mind; Aria. But that's the exception as far as I'm concerned, not the rule. There have been times watching the show has been like reading the boards considering how much thought they give to what they set out to do and still the phrase "too stupid to live" is used way too much around these parts. 

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

There have been times watching the show has been like reading the boards considering how much thought they give to what they set out to do and still the phrase "too stupid to live" is used way too much around these parts.

The fact that they are not always acting under the assumptions that A is monitoring their conversations and actions is proof enough that they are too stupid to live. That's like going to war, finding the enemy has broken your codes, do nothing to change them and discuss all your important plans on channels that are encoded with said codes. Of course A is always a few steps ahead of them - it is impossible to surprise someone who knows all your plans.

Uhg, this so much. I'm actually under the opinion the show has done a solid job of establishing, for years now, why going to the police is simply not an option and it keeps giving more and more reasons why as times goes on.

So what is the Liars's endgame then? Are they going to murder A or wait for him/her to get bored? And in any event, the Liars clearly do not share the opinion that the police isn't an option since they helped put the monster from hell, I mean, Alison, behind bars just two episodes ago.

Can you even become a cop if you don't finish high school?

I would imagine that in Rosewood you can become a cop even if you don't finish elementary school.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 7

I thought it was so sweet that Hanna kept Pastor Ted's seret and didn't tip her mom off about his plan to propose. And poor Pastor Ted. Any time a woman doesn't immediately say yes to a proposal, that is...not good.

It would have been sweet had Hanna believed all was well between Ashley and Ted. Since she knew for a fact that was not the case, it was flat-out stupid on her part as well as unkind to both of the adults, particularly Ted. She absolutely should have given Ashley the heads-up so that Ashley would've had time to sort out her thoughts and emotions. Instead she (unintentionally) set Ashley up to get gobsmacked, not in a good way, and Ted to get exactly what he got, a super-awkward rejection of sorts.

Also, I don't agree that Ashley needs to tell Ted what happened.  If it was a one-time mistake, then she should keep it to herself.  Confessing would make her feel better, but would make Ted feel worse. 

This. Unless Ashley is ready to turn down Ted's proposal and break up - for which an explanation would be needed - there is no reason to tell him anything. He was gone for months and she had an improptu quickie (it wasn't even a one-night stand: Jason immediately left :D ) If she still wants to make their relationship work, and she tells him just to help her process and/or in the name of honesty... there are no winners in this scenario. "I do want to marry you, but I fucked Jason." Why even go there?

Ashley absolutely has to "go there" and tell Ted the truth for one reason: Because A knows. Once again Hanna's fucking up here, because she knows A knows but she has not told her mother that. This is just setting up Ashley to decide she won't tell Ted the truth, accept his marriage proposal, and then be exposed as a cheater in the most horrendous way A can think of. Ted is going to find out about Ashley and Jason. If Ashley wants to stay with him, her one chance is to tell him herself instead of A doing it. But Ashley thinks only she and Hanna and Jason know what happened and Hanna hasn't told her otherwise, even though A's already having fun messing around with that situation.

It's not just Hanna not communicating with Ashley, by the by. I feel like this back half of the season the girls have all been confiding in each other less, and then getting mad at each other for keeping secrets, and having to actually check to make sure the other girls are going to be told. It's weird, because it used to be pretty much a sure thing that if one girl knew something, the other three would be told in short order - especially if it was A-related. Yet even though Ali's in a jail cell, the PLLs' cohesion seems worse than it has in a long while. I'm wondering why that is.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 2

I think the girls always had a protective streak, however. They tell each other information, but not if it will hurt them/put them in danger. (Aria/Fitz..and I remember something with Emily too. )

With the knife, Toby told Caleb and Spencer, because Bff and GF..and because of possible evidence against them. And Caleb and Spencer didn't want to get the other girls involved for Toby's sake and to keep them out of danger.