Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, dubstepford wife said:

C'mon guys, it's totally fine, they're married.  And like, actually married, not "married" the way that those awful gay people can get married these days.  It's totally cool and completely family friendly to post your husband grabbing your boobs -- but a lesbian wedding, how will we explain that to the kids?  Won't someone think of the CHILDREN?!?

(/s, in case it wasn't abundantly obvious.  I love boobs.  Boobs are great.  I love teehee pics.  I also love that LGBTQ people have rights nowadays.)

Oh, and because I want to play too: "What do you mean you're a prince?!?"

If a lesbian couple had posed this way I would also think it was completely fine. 🤣

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

It's hypocritical coming from someone like her.

I showed it to my Mom and she thought it was hypocritical from Cameron, being who she claims to be, shouldn’t post things like that on the internet. She agrees with you. 

• Love 3

I'll be honest, I don't like it because there are certain groups of people/religions who believe that a husband essentially "owns" his wife and she should defer to him.  So when I see a picture posted proudly like that, it sets something off in me about the message it may unintentionally (or intentionally) convey. 

But that's a personal reaction and ultimately, she can do whatever she wants.  I'd probably care less if I didn't know about the Camerons.

Anyway, about the movies--

Last night's new movie about saving the general store, Follow Me To Daisy Hills, was comforting and pleasant.  I was cooking and cleaning while watching it so maybe I would have been very bored just actually watching it but as background noise, it was nice.

And the movie afterwards was October Kiss.  I know people find Ashley Williams kind of annoying. I have at times as well.  But I LOVE October Kiss.  I end up watching it whenever I see that it's on. I wish more leads were like Sam Jaeger. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And the movie afterwards was October Kiss.  I know people find Ashley Williams kind of annoying. I have at times as well.  But I LOVE October Kiss.  I end up watching it whenever I see that it's on. I wish more leads were like Sam Jaeger. 

That’s one I always enjoy when it’s on.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I wish they had cast an actor with dark hair for the lead role, or at least given him a different hair style. He looked so much like the lead actress that I felt a little icky during their romantic scenes. 

You're talking about Follow Me To Daisy Hills, right? They looked like brother and sister. His slicked-back hairdo was awful. I tuned in to this one more than halfway through, and I didn't care for it. Cindy Busby's idea of acting seemed to be to raise her voice to a high-pitched squeal. Her character Jo first invaded her younger sister' privacy and then totally violated it by sending her story to the college (or, in a ridiculous plot twist, accidentally posting it to the college website) because she knew best what her sister should do. Everyone kept raving about what a gifted writer the sister was, but the story sounded to me like a typical high school freshman's (or Hallmark writer's haha) essay.

There were some new touches: the leads kissed with 30 minutes left in the movie; a supporting character "Bob" was, let's say, significantly overweight; there was an extra who was using a walker. I assume the latter two were efforts at inclusion and there were probably more that I missed since I only watched about the last 45 minutes. Bob was a twofer since he's Black.

Today I watched part of the Mitford movie. I wasn't bothered by the age difference or Andie's wardrobe, but I thought her voice sounded really weird at times, as if it were dubbed.

So this has been my Hallmark Sunday. I watched Falling for You from 2018 this afternoon. I'm surprised I've never seen it before. I thought it was excellent. All of the characters were likable, the acting was good all around, the tropes were a bit subdued, the leads (Taylor Cole and Tyler Hynes) had great chemistry, and neither of them gave up a big career opportunity for the other - they decided to make it work. Tyler Hynes is one handsome man. 😍

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Last night's new movie about saving the general store, Follow Me To Daisy Hills, was comforting and pleasant.  I was cooking and cleaning while watching it so maybe I would have been very bored just actually watching it but as background noise, it was nice.

I watched both of those movies last night. 

I found “Follow Me to Daisy Hills” kind of bland. I wasn’t buying the chemistry between the leads. I find Ashley Williams kind of annoying too, “October Kiss” is so adorable and a favorite of mine. 

My Mom and are are excited for Falling for Look Lodge next week. 

4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I wish they had cast an actor with dark hair for the lead role, or at least given him a different hair style. He looked so much like the lead actress that I felt a little icky during their romantic scenes. 

Yes! Omg my Mom said that too! His hair either needed to be a platinum blond, or cut spiky because it just blended into his forehead (which was huge). Lol. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I showed it to my Mom and she thought it was hypocritical from Cameron, being who she claims to be, shouldn’t post things like that on the internet. She agrees with you. 

I just wanted to clarify that I don't have an issue with the actual picture really. It's the fact that she intentionally posted it knowing what kind of image she projects for herself and the beliefs that come with that.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Regarding Follow Me to Daisy Hills - while appreciating the recognition given to the very real quality of the Writers' Workshop at the school (https://writersworkshop.uiowa.edu) ... it is the University of Iowa, not Iowa University. Probably makes no difference to anyone but me, but it was like nails on a blackboard every time someone said it.

I just assumed that they said Iowa University because they wanted to use a fake name or didn't feel they could use a real school - I wasn't aware of Iowa's Writer's Workshop. Being Hallmark, I'm just surprised they didn't have her college options end up being a choice between College University and State Tech A&M.

That said, Follow Me to Daisy Hills was just dreadful. The lighting was horrible (e.g. the first scene with Blake made him look like an albino or a vampire) and the background music was way too loud (including the incessant guitar strumming in the beginning party scene). I can't wait to listen to the Deck the Hallmark podcast of this one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

That blueberry farm story was quite resistible.  Forgive me, fans -- just another stupid Hallmark movie but, I wouldn't have it any other way, lol!   

Shirley Jones was in this like what?  Ten minutes?  

Lead actress, having fallen into the bay (a meet wet-"cute"), later on decides to wear a pair of 6" heels while walking around a dock. 

On 9/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, AAEBoiler said:

That said, Follow Me to Daisy Hills was just dreadful. The lighting was horrible (e.g. the first scene with Blake made him look like an albino or a vampire) and the background music was way too loud (including the incessant guitar strumming in the beginning party scene). I can't wait to listen to the Deck the Hallmark podcast of this one!

Terrible on so many levels.  There wasn't a single minute without some kind of music blaring.  The actors looked like siblings which made it squicky.  And lighting and/or makeup was dreadful.  Ugh!

• Love 1

OMG!  I don't know what to get to first. 

Reading the descriptions, it looks like there's a good mix of the regular fluff but I also see some storylines we haven't seen in a long time on Hallmark.  If ever.  An estranged couple?  A mom who is dying and wants to make sure her kids are taken care of.  A gay couple trying to adopt. 

All of that was exciting enough for me but then I got to this and it's the first time I ever thought 2020 showed itself capable of bringing good things.

For all my Love At The Thanksgiving Day Parade fans, it looks like Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo are working together again as love interests.  (As opposed to Antonio playing the the 'bad choice.')

CAST: Autumn Reeser (The O.C.) and Antonio Cupo (Hats Off to Christmas!)
PREMISE: As Christmas nears, heiress Jessica Morgan (Reeser) seizes what seems like her last chance to experience a relaxed Christmas and heads off to the small town of Glenbrooke, where she meets a handsome fireman (Cupo).
PREMIERE DATE: Saturday, Dec. 12 (Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, 9/8c)

I am so excited!

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, mikeb said:

Hallmark announced more details about upcoming Christmas movies - including one about a gay couple trying to adopt a child.

https://tvline.com/lists/hallmark-channel-countdown-to-christmas-movies-2020-schedule/jingle-bell-bride/

It’s the first time in quite awhile that I’m excited for the Christmas movies to start. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

OMG!  I don't know what to get to first. 

Reading the descriptions, it looks like there's a good mix of the regular fluff but I also see some storylines we haven't seen in a long time on Hallmark.  If ever.  An estranged couple?  A mom who is dying and wants to make sure her kids are taken care of.  A gay couple trying to adopt. 

Exactly. It’s so nice to not see the same three plots repeated 40 times. 

For all my Love At The Thanksgiving Day Parade fans, it looks like Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo are working together again as love interests.  (As opposed to Antonio playing the the 'bad choice.')

I am so excited!

Heh, I was just coming over here to post that information! I actually squealed out loud when I saw their names together. I can't wait!

I'm also very pleasantly surprised at many of the movies--and so happy to see the subplot about the gay couple adopting a child. Plus there are a LOT of good stars appearing this year. Hallmark may get me back yet!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4

Ooof, not a fan of that Hannukah movie premise.  The idea of Judaism being your race and not your religion is getting dangerously close to...being racist?  

I mean, I guess it's not a bad idea in theory to explore your cultural heritage if you find out that your ancestors were Jewish, but the description makes it sound like that character is going to be, "Well, I guess I'm Jewish now and I need to celebrate Hannukah, my DNA says so!"  And if he's been celebrating Christmas his whole life and all of a sudden he's the fish out of water at a Hannukah celebration, isn't that what the "Hannukah" movie from last year was criticized for?  That is was basically making fun of Hannukah traditions and contrasting them with Christmas ones?

On 9/24/2020 at 4:09 AM, ClassicShowsFan said:

I can’t wait to find out what Hallmark Drama's Christmas movie schedule will be.

The checklist app has Hallmark Drama’s Christmas movie list up. 

Falling for Look Lodge was one of the worst Hallmark movies I’ve seen in a long time. I even had to doublecheck what channel I was watching. No chemistry between any of the couples and the storyline didn’t hold my interest. Hope their Fall movies get better.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

Falling for Look Lodge was one of the worst Hallmark movies I’ve seen in a long time. I even had to doublecheck what channel I was watching. No chemistry between any of the couples and the storyline didn’t hold my interest. Hope their Fall movies get better.

It was only slightly better than Follow Me to Daisy Hills- that’s not saying much. 

The one on October 10th, about the magical bouquet looks cute. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

It was pretty bad and yeah, no chemistry at all. I hadn't seen the promos and when I checked the TV listings for what was on last night I saw Clark Backo's name as well as the male lead. I was intrigued and had to tune in as I thought it was a gay romance. I didn't realize Clark was a woman.☺️

I didn't think it was any worse than any of the chemistry-less Hallmark movies with unpleasant leads and since that pretty much describes 70% of Hallmark movies, it is middle of the pack for me.  Except it didn't really have pretty scenery to save it like half of those 70% of movies. 

But it was fine for background. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I have pretty low expectations for the first few fall movies this year. Falling for Look Lodge and Follow Me to Daisy Hill were both acquired movies and probably wouldn’t have ever ended up on Hallmark without COVID. Hallmark pulled Country at Heart from last years fall schedule so that’s probably not a great sign. 

Hopefully the last two will be good since they have both been Hallmark movies from the start and recently filmed. With the exception of Wedding Every Weekend this year has mostly been filler. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, Dani said:

I have pretty low expectations for the first few fall movies this year. Falling for Look Lodge and Follow Me to Daisy Hill were both acquired movies and probably wouldn’t have ever ended up on Hallmark without COVID. Hallmark pulled Country at Heart from last years fall schedule so that’s probably not a great sign. 

Hopefully the last two will me good since they have both been Hallmark movies from the start and recently filmed. With the exception of Wedding Every Weekend this year has mostly been filler. 

Yes, it definitely had the vibe of their acquired movies. I would rather watch reruns of good Hallmark movies than try to suffer through those.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2020 at 8:27 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I watched both of those movies last night. 

I found “Follow Me to Daisy Hills” kind of bland. I wasn’t buying the chemistry between the leads. I find Ashley Williams kind of annoying too, “October Kiss” is so adorable and a favorite of mine. 

My Mom and are are excited for Falling for Look Lodge next week. 

Yes! Omg my Mom said that too! His hair either needed to be a platinum blond, or cut spiky because it just blended into his forehead (which was huge). Lol. 

I am relatively new to Hallmark movies; I watch the mysteries and that is about it.  But.  There have been changes in my life and I find the regular and seasonal movies can be cheering.  I still wish they would run The Golden Girls during the night. Anyway, I caught the last part of the Daisy Hills movie and...just my opinion...that lead actor was terrible.  He was the worst of the Ken-Doll/cardboard cut-out types that they sometimes cast; I hate to say this, because I am sure in real life he is attractive.  But not in this movie - it was off-putting.  I didn't mind the blonde actress all that much.  His hair, and yes, as stated above...his forehead, his blandness.  And no chemistry with the actress.  It was anti-chemistry.  Has he been in many Hallmark movies?  

• Love 2

I had so liked Warren Christie in Most Wonderful Time of the Year, the Christmas movie that had Henry Winkler in it -- such a lot of great energy &c.  So I was interested to see him in The Color of Rain this evening, from 2014.  Wow, this is the most pallid, depressing thing I've seen lately.  He's just so wan.  Admittedly, that's the character's situation, but what a waste of story and of actor.  I thought I could stick it out just to see him work, but couldn't do it.  

I really enjoy The Color of Rain but I don't remember Henry Winkler in it.  Go figure.

7 minutes ago, Chippings said:

Admittedly, that's the character's situation, but what a waste of story and of actor.  I thought I could stick it out just to see him work, but couldn't do it.  

He's fun in Barry on HBO.

I really enjoy The Color of Rain but I don't remember Henry Winkler in it.  Go figure.

He's fun in Barry on HBO.

..  No ... Henry Winkler was in Most Wonderful Time of the Year -- the heroine's uncle, a retired cop, who picks up Warren Christie's character in the airport.  He had a lot o' attitude, and Christie's character had a lot as well.  Good times.

(And yes, 'Barry' is really very good.) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chippings said:

..  No ... Henry Winkler was in Most Wonderful Time of the Year -- the heroine's uncle, a retired cop, who picks up Warren Christie's character in the airport.  He had a lot o' attitude, and Christie's character had a lot as well.  Good times.

(And yes, 'Barry' is really very good.) 

And that's what I get for reading too fast.

I do like The Color of Rain, though.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2020 at 1:25 PM, Koalagirl said:

Absolutely dreadful.  That "couple" acted like less than friends let alone a pair supposedly attracted to each other.

I hope that Hallmark isn't using this mess to show how enlightened they are cy using an interracial couple and then, when bad reviews come in, say "See, we tried but nobody liked it.  Now back to our regularly scheduled All Caucasian All the Time programming".

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Absolutely dreadful.  That "couple" acted like less than friends let alone a pair supposedly attracted to each other.

I hope that Hallmark isn't using this mess to show how enlightened they are cy using an interracial couple and then, when bad reviews come in, say "See, we tried but nobody liked it.  Now back to our regularly scheduled All Caucasian All the Time programming".

I wonder sometimes who makes the casting decisions at Hallmark.  I imagine that their cream of the crop talent (Alicia Witt, CCB, Danica McKellar) gets offered the best scripts written by the top writers (top by Hallmark standards) whereas newcomers get the scripts that barely get greenlit.  Hallmark strikes me as a hierarchical place, particularly during the Bill Abbott era.  And I have a bad feeling that you're right re: them saying, we tried it, didn't work, not our fault!

Give me Christina Milian, who has been in a couple of Lifetime and Netflix romcoms, opposite someone like Ryan Paevy plus a decent script and you'll have Hallmark gold.  Gold crown in fact.  (sorry)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

Give me Christina Milian, who has been in a couple of Lifetime and Netflix romcoms, opposite someone like Ryan Paevy plus a decent script and you'll have Hallmark gold.  Gold crown in fact.  (sorry)

I would die! I have loved Christina Milian since she was a Disney Surfer, and Ryan Paevy is one of my fav leading men. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

This. I thought the same thing. The main characters seemed to dislike each other and then further along in the movie they basically tolerated each other. There wasn't really much that made it seem like they were attracted to each other. I kept thinking that I missed something, because they were acting like friendly acquaintances than two people falling for each other.

• Love 6
On 9/23/2020 at 2:31 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Ooof, not a fan of that Hannukah movie premise.  The idea of Judaism being your race and not your religion is getting dangerously close to...being racist?  

I mean, I guess it's not a bad idea in theory to explore your cultural heritage if you find out that your ancestors were Jewish, but the description makes it sound like that character is going to be, "Well, I guess I'm Jewish now and I need to celebrate Hannukah, my DNA says so!"  And if he's been celebrating Christmas his whole life and all of a sudden he's the fish out of water at a Hannukah celebration, isn't that what the "Hannukah" movie from last year was criticized for?  That is was basically making fun of Hannukah traditions and contrasting them with Christmas ones?

I agree with you.  I hope that they've learned their lesson, but I'm still cynical.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:44 PM, Irlandesa said:

I'll be honest, I don't like it because there are certain groups of people/religions who believe that a husband essentially "owns" his wife and she should defer to him.  So when I see a picture posted proudly like that, it sets something off in me about the message it may unintentionally (or intentionally) convey. 

I agree with you.  I've read all sorts of things about how the photo was "fun" and "playful" and was ok because they are married.  But when I saw it it looked like he was claiming some sort of property right. 

Follow Me to Daisy Hill and Falling for Look Lodge were two of the blandest, most boring movies I've ever seen. I honestly can't even remember if I commented on Daily Hill last week, that's how underwhelmed I was. So I'll just skip to Look Lodge.  It wasn't even a romance because there was zero chemistry.  I didn't feel the characters falling for each other.  Even the hour and a half formulaic calamity wasn't a misunderstanding between the Lily and Noah.  It was between the Noah and his sister!  Lily seemed more interested in Noah helping her with her business plan than in any sort of relationship with him. Noah spent more time with his future step-niece than he did with Lily.  It was just a weird dynamic all around.  

• Love 4

What a bummer. I was looking forward to an interracial relationship on Hallmark. I agree about Christina Millian. She’s in some of my favorite TV movies, including the super cute Falling Inn Love on Netflix. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, twoods said:

What a bummer. I was looking forward to an interracial relationship on Hallmark. 

I agree. I have higher hopes for Jingle Bell Bride. 

On 9/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, Kohola3 said:

Deck the Hallmark review of Look Lodge is up.  Validates my hatred.

Oh man, I was pleasantly surprised they called out Hallmark FB group "fans". Too funny.

And I so agree with them, the groom should have been the leading man cause, seriously, I thought I was the only one who side-eyed leading dude over how he was a lil too into his sister. Just no. 

• Love 1

Country at Heart... I loathe country music and saw how it was going right from the start but I really am enjoying it.  I really like Niall Matter a lot,  Jessy Schram has grown on me but I find Lucas Bryant... less than attractive and a bit off putting in pretty much everything I've seen him in.   

I am left wondering though why this was shelved last year?  It was as good as any other HM movies as far I'm concerned. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Callietwo said:

Country at Heart... I loathe country music and saw how it was going right from the start but I really am enjoying it.  I really like Niall Matter a lot,  Jessy Schram has grown on me but I find Lucas Bryant... less than attractive and a bit off putting in pretty much everything I've seen him in.   

I am left wondering though why this was shelved last year?  It was as good as any other HM movies as far I'm concerned. 

I love country music- I missed this yesterday cause I was my birthday and I was out. I will check it out thank you. 

• Love 1