Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, anniebird said:

And, in true Hallmark fashion, she had many coats although, to be fair, she did have a lot of luggage. 

For most of us, it wouldn't matter how much luggage we brought, we only have a couple of winter coats, if that.  I personally have a parka for the really cold stuff/casual wear and a long winter dress coat.  More than enough for me.

• Like 1

Ms Christmas Comes to Town: Barbara Niven is wonderful as always. Her sidekick/replacement, though, was a total asshole the entire time. She was really getting on my nerves. It’s hard to believe Brennan Elliot’s character would fall for her, he was a pretty nice guy— not the typical sarcastic guy they would normally pair with this type of female lead. Not to mention she looked like she had drawn her brows on with a Marks-a-lot.  Not to be totally superficial here, but she also had an ugly and unflattering shade of dishwater brown hair going on, to match her ugly personality.  

A lot of the  hairstyles were distracting, in fact! Ms. Christmas’s love interest had a bizarre hair color that matched his Olive-toned skin almost exactly. At least Brennan’s bad hair got addressed in the script, when they gave him a trim.  He pulled off a red tailored suit pretty well though. 🔥 Then—in that same scene—Ms. Christmas gifts the rude woman a new outfit, and we are all supposed to be awestruck about how “great” she looks.  She did not look great. It did make me wonder if Ms. Christmas actually likes her as much as she leads on, gifting her such a terrible outfit. 

Overall, the movie kept my attention, but wasn’t great (not that I expect greatness from HM), and could have maybe been better if they’d cast a more likable actress as Brennan’s love interest.

Edited by Miss Bones
On 11/10/2023 at 5:19 PM, Orcinus orca said:

Everything Christmas - fifteen minutes in and I hate it.

In the immortal words of Lou Grant:

“You know what?” You’ve got spunk!”

“Well, yeah,” responds Mary Richards.

“I hate spunk!” 

I'm out.

I totally agree! The main character was very annoying!

9 hours ago, anniebird said:

I really liked A Heidelberg Holiday - the settings were gorgeous, the story was pretty good, and I thought the two stars were very appealing and had good chemistry.

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Christmas Island was solid but forgettable. I was more into the married couple than the main couple.  I liked A Heidelberg Holiday quite a bit.  The scenery was gorgeous, and they used the location a lot better than the movie they shot in France (Joyeux Noel.) I'd rewatch the movie just for that. 

The romance came together naturally and early, which was a nice surprise.  There also wasn't a misunderstanding that tore them apart.  It did get a little melodramatic once the broken ornaments arrived, but that was only for a short bit.

One thing I do find amusing is that the movies avoid talking about "what happens next."  For instance, the woman from A Christmas Island got her dream job working as a private pilot for the pilot, but they live in LA, and Andrew's character lives near Nova Scotia.  And the woman in A Heidelberg Holiday got into the next year's Christmas market, but I can't remember if they said she'd stay in Germany or if they're just going to put their relationship on hold for a year. 

Co-signed about A Heidelberg Christmas. My favorite Hallmark holiday movie in quite a while.  Tropes were kept to a minimum (only thing I can recall was of course the sketchy shipping company would not get her ornaments to her in time!). But otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised how the movie incorporated both lead characters’ art into the story (didn’t see that coming).

I was willing to overlook how so many characters spoke English so well because I think that’s actually fairly true in Germany. (The only demerit here was when Heidi sang the Christmas carol at the senior center in English and everyone else started singing in English too! Yeah, riiiiight)

The two things I really liked were the silliness of Heidi’s full name, and the stereotypical German postal employee.  He was funny. Like Lukas, I also wanna hear the rest of the joke.  😆

Anyway, this movie made me want to visit a Christmas market in Germany. So well done Hallmark and Heidelberg!  

edit: they never addressed what happens to the Heidi/Lukas relationship, but it wouldn’t make sense for her to just live there until the following Christmas, and that’s not even taking into consideration how she’d legally live in Germany for a year! 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Co-signed about A Heidelberg Christmas. My favorite Hallmark holiday movie in quite a while.  Tropes were kept to a minimum (only thing I can recall was of course the sketchy shipping company would not get her ornaments to her in time!). But otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised how the movie incorporated both lead characters’ art into the story (didn’t see that coming).

I was willing to overlook how so many characters spoke English so well because I think that’s actually fairly true in Germany. (The only demerit here was when Heidi sang the Christmas carol at the senior center in English and everyone else started singing in English too! Yeah, riiiiight)

The two things I really liked were the silliness of Heidi’s full name, and the stereotypical German postal employee.  He was funny. Like Lukas, I also wanna hear the rest of the joke.  😆

Anyway, this movie made me want to visit a Christmas market in Germany. So well done Hallmark and Heidelberg!  

edit: they never addressed what happens to the Heidi/Lukas relationship, but it wouldn’t make sense for her to just live there until the following Christmas, and that’s not even taking into consideration how she’d legally live in Germany for a year! 

They also did that thing where the Germans spoke English even when they were alone but I don't look to Hallmark for realism so I was fine with that. This movie was just so charming, very low-key, minimal drama, the two leads were so appealing, especially him, and the supporting cast was wonderful.  

Edited by anniebird
  • Like 4

Christmas Island was not groundbreaking but it was well made and acted. It helps that I like both lead actors but the entire cast worked. The wealthy family was believable. In a typical movie, the teenaged girl would have been redeemed by forming a relationship with the mayor’s son, but her closest friendship is the elderly man. 

The main couple kiss 2/3 way through the movie. That’s different too. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I laughed at that too, especially since the movie was working hard to have the main character attempt to communicate in German knowing not everyone speaks English in Germany. 

2 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

The main couple kiss 2/3 way through the movie. That’s different too. 

That definitely would have been notable except A Heidelberg Holiday the next night one-upped them by having the main couple kiss  halfway through the movie. 

13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I thought Christmas Island has been the most consistent and formulaic movie so far this year. It was fine, and had a decent story arc, but still, kind of dull. ...

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Christmas Island was solid but forgettable. ...

It wasn't bad, but it was very, very safe.

Also, during this there was an ad for ANOTHER 'Christmas' Island movie?! (Called St. Nicholas island instead.)

On 11/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, absnow54 said:

I only watched the last 20 minutes of A Heidelberg Christmas. I've actually spent time in that area, so I wanted to be excited for it, but it seemed really melodramatic.

I would recommend giving the rest of the movie a shot. That was the only part that was melodramatic. 

15 hours ago, anniebird said:

They also did that thing where the Germans spoke English even when they were alone but I don't look to Hallmark for realism so I was fine with that.

My favorite was their heart to heart at the end of the movie where he spoke in German while she spoke in English. Like this is where you break out the subtitles?

Rewatched Nine Lives of Christmas for the *ahem time.  It’s a jewel.  Brandon & Kim have such great chem that it was easy to handwave what happened between this and the sequel, just to get them back onscreen together.

IIRC, this was the first Hallmark movie I watched — or it might’ve been Christmas Detour — either way, I was lured right in to the channel.

• Like 7
20 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Rewatched Nine Lives of Christmas for the *ahem time.

Speaking of infinite rewatches, are they not playing Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade this year? I haven't seen it on the schedule for either channels.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Well, no stollen in A HEIDELBERG HOLIDAY but -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I actually enjoyed it.  Yes, you heard correctly.  I fell in love with the German leading man, who gave a very natural and charming performance.  Didn't even seem like he was acting!  For a Hallmark movie the entire production actually felt organic, not silly or forced.  The actor playing that dismissive postal clerk was genuinely funny, not straining for laughs.  I would, however, have left out that rather jarring (but mercifully brief) moment in the senior center where Heidi suddenly belts out that song in English with Lukas accompanying her on guitar.  It was so refreshing seeing European Christmas decor -- everything very low-key and elegant, nothing tacky or childish, so that I really got an authentic and contemplative feel for the season.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Well, no stollen in A HEIDELBERG HOLIDAY but -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I actually enjoyed it.  Yes, you heard correctly.  I fell in love with the German leading man, who gave a very natural and charming performance.  Didn't even seem like he was acting!  For a Hallmark movie the entire production actually felt organic, not silly or forced.  The actor playing that dismissive postal clerk was genuinely funny, not straining for laughs.  I would, however, have left out that rather jarring (but mercifully brief) moment in the senior center where Heidi suddenly belts out that song in English with Lukas accompanying her on guitar.  It was so refreshing seeing European Christmas decor -- everything very low-key and elegant, nothing tacky or childish, so that I really got an authentic and contemplative feel for the season.

I really enjoyed it, too and really liked the actor who played the male lead.  I also like that they incorporated some German Christmas traditions and foods, etc naturally within the context of the story.  This was one of the best Hallmark movies I've seen in terms of making the most of the location.

• Like 3

The Santa Summit was very funny and unique.  The premise really worked to cram in all of the Christmas activities naturally.  The Nerd Love was amusing and cute. Stephanie Sy's voice is terrific.  Her rendition of Jingle Bells was so good once her character got going. 

Loved the fact that they reinforced that Jordan needed to make her own happiness first instead of relying on a guy.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Speaking of infinite rewatches, are they not playing Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade this year? I haven't seen it on the schedule for either channels.

They are not, and I came here specifically to whine about it. (Waiting for this to air before I watch any other holiday movies has been my personal strategy to resist Hallmark Christmas Creep.) I found it on Crackle with weird commercial breaks though.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

I’m really liking that Heidelberg Holiday! I have a really hard time feeling sorry about those ornaments though. I don’t know if it was possible to pack a box worse than what she had. And to try to transport them abroad that way?! I missed the first 15 min, so maybe there’s an explanation, but yeesh.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2023 at 11:39 PM, Trini said:

It wasn't bad, but it was very, very safe.

Also, during this there was an ad for ANOTHER 'Christmas' Island movie?! (Called St. Nicholas island instead.)

To add to the repetition, the two “Island” movies are airing back to back tonight. When I saw ads for “Navigating”, I felt like the writer’s ideas had hit bottom.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Nacos for Rufus said:

I’m really liking that Heidelberg Holiday! I have a really hard time feeling sorry about those ornaments though. I don’t know if it was possible to pack a box worse than what she had. And to try to transport them abroad that way?! I missed the first 15 min, so maybe there’s an explanation, but yeesh.

I already posted above my enjoyment of this movie (first one I've truly enjoyed in a looooong time).

But there's one thing I don't understand:  the German postal worker chided Heidi for not using the German postal service.  How could Heidi have done that from Colorado, where she had to get her ornaments from home all the way to Germany?  Can you go to the US postal service and say you want to use the German postal service, and maybe there's some sort of "universal postal" arrangement between services of different countries?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Nacos for Rufus said:

I missed the first 15 min, so maybe there’s an explanation, but yeesh.

She was at a nice postal place but the cost to ship would be equivalent to what she's planning to sell them for.  The clerk told her about a cheaper service which sent her packages out of the way.

1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

Can you go to the US postal service and say you want to use the German postal service, and maybe there's some sort of "universal postal" arrangement between services of different countries?  

I think it might be transferred from US postal to German once it gets to Germany.

I liked A World Record Christmas.   It was sweet and Antonio Cupo was EP.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I already posted above my enjoyment of this movie (first one I've truly enjoyed in a looooong time).

But there's one thing I don't understand:  the German postal worker chided Heidi for not using the German postal service.  How could Heidi have done that from Colorado, where she had to get her ornaments from home all the way to Germany?  Can you go to the US postal service and say you want to use the German postal service, and maybe there's some sort of "universal postal" arrangement between services of different countries?  

DHL is a German owned company.

• Useful 1

Navigating Christmas was again a chore to slog through even when I zoned out for long periods beginning in the first ten minutes.

For one thing, I cannot tolerate Chelsea Hobbs; she has not changed her mean girl vibe  since the Nine Lives movie so that put me off.  Hallmark has gotten so lax at everything as if we won't notice incongruity - shots of a boat on a perfectly calm sea, Chelsea chewing the scenary pretending to be seasick and ignoring a warning about "heavy seas" (again, with a perfectly flat background) and getting what was clearly a bucket of water thrown at her.

Any rudimentary research on lighthouses would have been nice but, no, just make crap up and hope nobody notices.

Story was the same old tired tropes - family business, big bad developer, troubled teen, ad nauseum.

I give up.  It's hopeless.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I didn’t mind Navigating Christmas. I thought the actors had decent chemistry and the progression of the story was reasonable (save for her buying a lighthouse with her boyfriend of 2 days.) Or maybe it was just a good snark movie. My husband and I had fun doing MST commentary throughout. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I didn’t mind Navigating Christmas. I thought the actors had decent chemistry and the progression of the story was reasonable (save for her buying a lighthouse with her boyfriend of 2 days.) Or maybe it was just a good snark movie. My husband and I had fun doing MST commentary throughout. 

Count me in as liking Navigating Christmas.  I was willing to overlook the flaws (except for the part in bold posted above) because I loved the holiday traditions on Christmas Island and the story of Saint Nicholas. 
The inside decorations didn’t look like someone vomited Christmas all over. I liked the chemistry between all the couples, and that the son got as much screen time/plot as the mom. 
If I rewatch this in the future, I’ll probably fast forward here and there, but overall, I enjoyed this one (again, except for the ridiculousness of Melanie investing in the lighthouse without a deep dive into what’s involved.)

• Like 2

Will Kemp sighting! Will Kemp sighting!!

Watching A Merry Scottish Christmas — guess who pops up in a party scene, and after a “Don’t I know you?” moment, sweeps Lacey Chabert into a Highland Fling performance?  What a sweet mini-sequel to their Christmas Waltz movie (loved them together in that one and Love, Romance, & Chocolate).

This *and* James Robinson?  😍 Thanks Santa!

• Like 10
  • Love 7

A Merry Scottish Christmas was charming and the scenery was so authentically beautiful (except the periodic fake snow).  The Will Kemp surprise was a delight and they made the most of Will and his dancing expertise.  I’ve so enjoyed Will and Lacey in their waltz and chocolate movies, so this was a treat.  The guy who played Lacey’s love interest is just terrific — I loved him and his character, though admittedly I did not feel a romantic chemistry between them like I’m sure they were aiming for.  Scott did a great job and I really liked his wife and mom.  I’ve never seen Party of Five but know that Salinger’s was a fun wink to their family last name.  

Will watch again! 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 8
  • Love 4

Wow I am really grateful to you guys for that heads-up about the Will Kemp sighting!  I was really to abandon this until I came over here to see how the movie had been received, and realized that I should keep watching.  Awesome!  I hope the two of them do have another movie in the works for the future -- felt they were hinting at more at the end of the Malta 'detectives' movie.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Yes, but the German postal worker chided Heidi for not using the German postal service - he didn’t chastise her for not using DHL. 

Your point is correct, but he also wasn’t offering any information on which shippers could get the boxes into the hands of the GPS most efficiently. Leads me to believe that his lines were written as part of his employee “script” (only minimally comedic). Besides, UPS and DHL are probably equally costly.

14 hours ago, voiceover said:

Will Kemp sighting! Will Kemp sighting!!

Watching A Merry Scottish Christmas — guess who pops up in a party scene, and after a “Don’t I know you?” moment, sweeps Lacey Chabert into a Highland Fling performance?  What a sweet mini-sequel to their Christmas Waltz movie (loved them together in that one and Love, Romance, & Chocolate).

This *and* James Robinson?  😍 Thanks Santa!

I could tell Will and Lacey were having fun during their scene together. I’d never heard of James Robinson until this movie. He was a nice addition! It was an overall enjoyable movie: good acting, fine plot lines, and well directed. I wouldn’t mind a sequel. I haven’t watched every Christmas Hallmark season, but this was a good one.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Another Will Kemp sighting that you may have missed since it's an older, non-Hallmark movie.  It's Kristin's Christmas Past with Shiri Appleby from 2013. Will plays her love interest. I saw the movie 10 years ago but didn't remember that Will was in it.  The Royal Matchmaker was my first Hallmark exposure to him and, until today, thought it was my first overall.

• Like 1

Holiday Hotline is my new fave, and I’m only halfway through it. It’s by Julie Sherman Wolfe, one of the best writers. She did Hanukkah on Rye, one of my faves from last year.  She manages to go one step beyond the Hallmark cliches. This one is a take on Shop Around the Corner or You’ve Got Mail.  Since I love both of those, I’m enjoying this. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Holiday Hotline is my new fave, and I’m only halfway through it. It’s by Julie Sherman Wolfe, one of the best writers. She did Hanukkah on Rye, one of my faves from last year.  She manages to go one step beyond the Hallmark cliches. This one is a take on Shop Around the Corner or You’ve Got Mail.  Since I love both of those, I’m enjoying this. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to give this one a go or not--because I find Niall Matter to be kind of boring--but I love You've Got Mail, so I will check it out.  If memory serves, wasn't Hanukkah on Rye also similar to You've Got Mail

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I wasn't sure if I was going to give this one a go or not--because I find Niall Matter to be kind of boring--but I love You've Got Mail, so I will check it out.  If memory serves, wasn't Hanukkah on Rye also similar to You've Got Mail

Yes, now that you mention it.  It was about one company trying to take over another.  But this new movie is about the plot of the two people talking to each other (on the hotline) and not knowing they are the same person they met on the outside.  You've Got Mail was based on The Shop Around the Corner, where people anonymously exchanged pen pal letters instead of emails.  I liked Niall Matter.  He had good chemistry with the lead actress. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
33 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, now that you mention it.  It was about one company trying to take over another.  But this new movie is about the plot of the two people talking to each other (on the hotline) and not knowing they are the same person they met on the outside.  You've Got Mail was based on The Shop Around the Corner, where people anonymously exchanged pen pal letters instead of emails.  I liked Niall Matter.  He had good chemistry with the lead actress. 

Thanks! I thought that was Hannukah on Rye--which I enjoyed--but there have been a few of the Hannukah movies that I have liked, so I wasn't positive if that was the one I was thinking of.  Regarding Niall Matter, I had forgotten that I actually did enjoy him in one of his more recent (non-Christmas) movies Rip in Time.  That one kind of made me rethink my opinion that he was boring, as I found him surprisingly charismatic in that role.  I think his role in the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries is the reason for my thinking he was a boring actor.  He didn't have much chemistry with Candace Cameron Bure...not that I can blame him, as I would find it hard to feign love for her, also.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, now that you mention it.  It was about one company trying to take over another. 

But Hannukah on Rye also included the mail angle - the matchmaker had them writing each other and they were attracted to each other on paper.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I also enjoyed "A Merry Scottish Christmas"...I always enjoy Lacey Chabert.  She & Scott Wolfe did a good job portraying a brother & sister who had grown estranged.  Instead of the usual Romance problems, the main problem was the Family & how they came back together: Sister, Brother & Mother.  The Romances were low key & believable, I liked the actress who played Scott's wife.  It kept my interest compared to many of the Christmas movies this year that seem boring & have the same romantic tropes every time.

• Like 13

I’m very behind still, but I just watched The Santa Summit and really liked it.  I loved the humor. The story was cute and just different enough to not be the same old same old. 

I also enjoyed Mystery on Mistletoe Lane.

Everything Christmas: Boring. Kept it on as background noise. Realizing I’m just not a fan of Cindy Busby.  I can’t think of one movie of hers I really liked.

Edited by DanaMB
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I also enjoyed "A Merry Scottish Christmas".

I rarely say that I like a Hallmark movie as they are all basically the same, but I enjoyed it as well. Partly it was the delicious accents which I adore.  And the beautiful scenery as well.  The story was just different enough to keep me watching.

• Like 2
On 11/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, MerBearHou said:

A Merry Scottish Christmas was charming and the scenery was so authentically beautiful (except the periodic fake snow).  The Will Kemp surprise was a delight and they made the most of Will and his dancing expertise.  I’ve so enjoyed Will and Lacey in their waltz and chocolate movies, so this was a treat.  The guy who played Lacey’s love interest is just terrific — I loved him and his character, though admittedly I did not feel a romantic chemistry between them like I’m sure they were aiming for.  Scott did a great job and I really liked his wife and mom.  I’ve never seen Party of Five but know that Salinger’s was a fun wink to their family last name.  

Will watch again! 

A Merry Scottish Christmas was on my list after Thanksgiving. I can’t wait!

• Like 1

My one quibble about My Scottish Christmas is that they get peerage so  wrong.  And I know they get royal things wrong all the time but both brother and sister can't hold the title. 

If Scott's character is going to assume the title with his wife as his duchess, that's it.  He's the oldest and it'd naturally go to him.  Lacey's character doesn't get to stay there and also be a duchess.  She may have some other kind of title or honorific but not duchess. 

And no one is getting a title until the mother dies.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1