Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guessed it too but I otherwise enjoyed it. I think it has potential as sometimes the first one of these things is them figuring things out. (I didn't like the first Garage Sale Mystery for example but have generally liked the subsequent movies). 

I could do without Rick Fox, though.

7 hours ago, twoods said:

It's either writer or artist- those are the "whimsical" jobs. Mistletoe Inn were both writers, and I'm sure there were others (like Snowed Inn on Lifetime). Usually it's offset by someone with a more "workaholic" job, like the dreaded lawyer, doctor or executive. 

You forgot bakery owner.  

• Love 1

I really liked Winter Weekend (or whatever it was called)....I’m going to call it the one I liked the most out of all the Christmas and Winterfest movies  this season.  Both leads could act; neither were too cutesy, too stilted, or stick-in-the-mud; No extraneous boy/girl friends; liked BOTH of the friends; all leads he chemistry with each other (as friends and the romantic pairings);  nice location.  I didn’t like the fact that she had an instant dislike of him just because he also wanted the same snowboard?  Also, the scenes of the women driving up on a completely snow covered trail, basically...and going ‘oh! There’s our exit!;...huh?  

1 hour ago, Karen885 said:

You forgot bakery owner.  

I read a lot of cozy mysteries and they always give the female leads these jobs too. It gets so redundant I'm happy when I stumble across a series where the lead owns a bar or a is a musician. And most of the town's are described as quaint. I came across a series set in a quaint college town where the lead was like a den mother to some students. I usually don't think of quaint or cutesey when I think of college town. 

2 hours ago, In2You said:

I read a lot of cozy mysteries and they always give the female leads these jobs too. It gets so redundant I'm happy when I stumble across a series where the lead owns a bar or a is a musician. And most of the town's are described as quaint. I came across a series set in a quaint college town where the lead was like a den mother to some students. I usually don't think of quaint or cutesey when I think of college town. 

A series that I like with a different career for the female lead is the Bibliophile Mystery series. She is a bookbinder specializing in rare book restoration. It's different and I find it interesting.

17 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

Has Halmark always had a preview show for its monthly movies? They had one for Winterfest in January and it helped me decide that only one movie looked good (Frozen in Love). There's a Valentine's preview on Saturday @ 10pm. 

I'd like to see more movies where the couple is already established. Moving in together and figuring out a routine, even decorating could bring some PG conflict. Ooh, It'll be called 'After the Wedding'! Or what about a movie for the 7 year itch where a couple has to find their spark again? I'll take anything over boy meets girl scenarios.

Looks like this preview business is a new thing this year I guess since the Christmas Preview shows last year were so good. Perhaps it's something they'll do from every season from now on?

I agree with seeing more couples established, though. The husband and I chat about this from to time as it's rare to see married couples and such and we when we do, we jump on them. A few that fit your theme that come to mind are: The Gift of the Magi (one of my faves; updated version of the O Henry short), Love, Again (another fave of mine - couple separates but rekindles their relationship over daughter's impending wedding), and Just the Way You Are. I think there was another one based on a book that was similar to Love, Again but I checked out early and it left my memory warehouse shortly after deleting it.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:45 PM, Luckylyn said:

The only movie I ever wanted a sequel for was Let It Snow because they kept mentioning a brother who moved to Australia.  I keep thinking a Christmas storyline set in Australia would be a great way to liven up the annual Hallmark Christmas movie flood.  

The problem is that it would be summer in Australia, which would mean Hallmark couldn't have snow on the ground as they do in every one of their Christmas movies.

I like the Hallmark formula of girl meets boy and by the end they fall in love after 3 days or a week.  I think if they switched to married couples, where's the romance (unless they start on the rocks) where's the mystery?  We saw what they did with the Innkeeper movie sequel with Lacey and it was a mess.  Engaged couple, who we saw get together in the first movie, actually opens the Inn, but she gets mad because he goes back to his high paying (which they need) job for 3 weeks.  He goes back temporarily and she wants to break up with him as a result?!  They don't do "established" couples well unless they are supporting cast.

I think they need a different formula from city dweller meets country dweller and city dweller agrees to move to the country.  But I guess everyone's dream is to eventually move to the country?  As someone who lives in the country I can said that dream is rarely realized, because the country is full of dying small towns.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Winter Weekend as well. Its probably been my favorite winter movie. I liked that the leads didn't have a significant other, and the friends were nice as well. I hope to see more of Jack Turner in movies because he's pretty good. Maybe I need to watch the Prince movie they were both in.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

The Morning Show Mystery movie. I agree about Holly Robinson Peete having a terrible wig. I thought her acting, as well as Rick Fox's, was pretty wooden. It just seemed like they were reading their lines. I couldn't stick with it.

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Morning Show Mystery movie. I agree about Holly Robinson Peete having a terrible wig. I thought her acting, as well as Rick Fox's, was pretty wooden. It just seemed like they were reading their lines. I couldn't stick with it.

It was a very long 2 hours. And I watched it in 90 minutes without the commercials! 

Did anyone read the book? Did they stick to the story or change just about everything, as they tend to do with book adaptations?

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Did anyone read the book? Did they stick to the story or change just about everything, as they tend to do with book adaptations?

I didn't read the book (which is actually called The Midnight Show Murders: A Billy Blessing Novel ), but this is the description from Amazon:

"Billy has reluctantly agreed to fly westward and play second banana on a new late-night talk show hosted by comic Desmond O’Day in Los Angeles, a city that brings up bad memories. Twenty years ago, Billy had accused obnoxious chef Roger Charbonnet of murder there. A tricked-up alibi freed Roger, who vowed vengeance—and Billy’s arrival in the City of Angels just may give Roger his chance. When a deadly explosion during a TV taping kills more than Desmond’s chance at high ratings, Billy is convinced that he was the intended target. With politics, infidelity, and high finance sprinkled in, the case turns out to have more ingredients than Billy could ever have imagined. And when a beautiful female TV producer convinces Billy to find the culprit himself—on camera—the table’s set for a conspiracy with too many cooks and far too many killers."

And, oh yeah, in the book Billy (not Billie like the movie) is a guy. So to answer your question, they changed just about everything.

EDITED: I have the wrong book, see the post by Irlandesa below this one.

Edited by GaT
29 minutes ago, GaT said:

I didn't read the book (which is actually called The Midnight Show Murders: A Billy Blessing Novel ), but this is the description from Amazon:

That's the second book in the series.  The first book is called The Morning Show Murders.  I haven't read the book either but it sounds like it's more or less the same plot with some minor changes like a coq au vin kills the guy in the book vs. a cake.

There are only three in the series and it looks like the last one was published in 2012.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's the second book in the series.  The first book is called The Morning Show Murders.  I haven't read the book either but it sounds like it's more or less the same plot with some minor changes like a coq au vin kills the guy in the book vs. a cake.

There are only three in the series and it looks like the last one was published in 2012.

HUH, I searched & only came up with the other book, I thought there was only one book.

9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It was a very long 2 hours. And I watched it in 90 minutes without the commercials! 

I didn't read the book but I'm intrigued about it now. Per reviews Billy is male and not  only does he appear on the morning show and own a restaurant, but he also has his own show on another network. Plot features the same characters but sounds a lot different. Like Rudy being Billy's nemesis who is dating his ex girlfriend. So when he dies people automatically assume he did it. And then there's some plot that links to tyhe war in Afghanistan. 

14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

So it seems Hallmarks just buys up these cozy mystjeries so they no one has to plot out and write a mystery. They can change a lot of the other details while leaving the basics of the mystery plot in place.

I wish they would buy some more diverse ones. Not just racially diverse but also with diversdity occupation wise. A lot of cozies fall into the cute occupations like baker/libriarian/diy guru/knitter/cutesy restaurant owner but there are ones featuring women with other careers. They require a littyle more digging to find but is love to see movies featuring firefighters,private investigators, lawyers,etc.

I didn't like the last movie I saw Dean Cain and Kristy Swanson in together so I was curious to see how they did in this one.

Take a drink every time they say the word Winterfest in the movie.

I already had to roll my eyes at the contrast they made between our Cat's instruction and her former teammate's. Nevermind she was only teaching beginners while the other one was teaching intermediates. 

Dean Cain was overacting so much in this movie. 

To my great surprise, I really liked last night's movie (except for the life of me I can't recall the title because they're all so bland and generic, damn you, Hallmark!). Winter Dream? Whatever; the new movie that aired on 1/27, anyway. 

I didn't intend to watch it, but there was nothing else on and I needed some noise in the background while I worked on my laptop. And lo and behold, I stopped paying attention to my laptop and got into the movie and I enjoyed it! I'm off-and-on with Dean Cain, but I thought he was good here as a kind of hapless but loving single dad. Yeah, he overplayed it a bit but I honestly thought it fit the character. I'm not sure if I've ever watched Kristy Swanson in anything--although I know who she is--but I liked her, too. She was confident even in her lack of confidence, if that makes sense. She wasn't uptight or bitchy or controlling or dithery; she was human. The actress who played the daughter was good, and I thought her relationship with her dad was sweet.

And most of all, I LOVED that there was no ridiculous manufactured relationship drama, that any angst came from Kat's own issues and the daughter's anxieties about her abilities. Kat and Maddy worked out their rivalry like adults. It wasn't perfect, but I would watch it again in a second. Hallmark, do more movies like this and last week's, without the ridiculous relationship cliches and with good supporting characters, and you'll have a happy (and most important, consistently repeat) viewer. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 5

I agree. They kept it from going in the ridiculous with the rivalry. They just had two different styles but both admitted that there was nothing wrong with the other. You could tell they were friendly rivals before but neither was mean or angry at the other.  I liked there was no misunderstanding to tear them apart. Both were relatively happy, capable people that just needed help with something that was the other expertise. 

All in all I liked this one the best, and I generally hate every thing Kristy Swanson beause if the whole Lloyd Eisler thing (don’t like him either)

• Love 1

I caught the Valentine preview show and I have to say I'm looking forward to the new movies even more. I love a good 'friends to lovers' story and the Danica one looks like it'll fit the bill. Which is weird because I'm not a huge Cameron Mathison fan. But I liked what I saw in the clips.

• Love 1
On 1/21/2018 at 9:24 PM, Mountainair said:

I kept mistaking him for Andrew Walker- another commonly used Hallmark actor. 

I watched the entire movie thinking it was Andrew Walker. I like Andrew Walker, but yeah, he's in a lot of Hallmark movies. (Not a complaint)

On 1/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, VartanFan said:

I really liked Winter Weekend (or whatever it was called)....I’m going to call it the one I liked the most out of all the Christmas and Winterfest movies  this season.  Both leads could act; neither were too cutesy, too stilted, or stick-in-the-mud; No extraneous boy/girl friends; liked BOTH of the friends; all leads he chemistry with each other (as friends and the romantic pairings);  nice location.  I didn’t like the fact that she had an instant dislike of him just because he also wanted the same snowboard?

I liked the friends, although it did seem kind of obvious that the only two prominently featured POC characters would pair up. I thought it was weird that he would want to rent the top-of-the-line, limited edition snowboard that was just put on display, if he had the ability to get two delivered to him. That part was super contrived, unless they gave an explanation that I missed. (I'm ok with the standard contrivance of bad snowstorm out of nowhere trapping them together. The mistaken booking so they have to share a space because everything else is sold out. And the head editor working around the clock with midnight deadlines. The packing of an evening dress and shoes for a ski resort weekend trip. I'm sure there's more.)

That being said, I liked that it wasn't just a boy meets girl, fall in G-rated love, overcome some misunderstanding and live happily ever after. There was the development of a relationship between the two friends, and career and personal development for three out of the four.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:08 PM, Pickles said:

I didn't notice the wig, but the wooden acting....yeah, that was painful. Rick Fox was her dad's partner, so the romantic sparks they were trying to let fly were a bit icky for me, even though they supposedly had a romantic past. Maybe because he did look so much older than her, they kept mentioning the dad, and she had the same expression and manner towards him regardless of whether he was treating her as a suspect, or sharing a private meal.

I had a similar reaction to a movie I just got around to watching--So You Said Yes, with Kellie Martin. The guy's mother looked like the same age as KM (and he's not meant to be that much younger than her, if at all.)

The movie gets serious cred for name dropping Ethiopian and Tibetan food, but it kinda made her seem pretentious, just in a hipper way than his mother's more traditional yacht-club type of snobbery. For some reason, I can't really get into the same type of characters played by KM and Rachel Leigh Cook -- unless they're played by people like Rachel Boston or Autumn Reeser who somehow come off as charmingly eccentric and not judgmentally quirky.

Edited by Kaiju Ballet
Premature Exclamation
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Maybe because he did look so much older than her, they kept mentioning the dad, and she had the same expression and manner towards him regardless of whether he was treating her as a suspect, or sharing a private meal.

I don't think they had much chemistry either but for me, it wasn't due to their age.  She's actually older.  And I just figured he was her dad's younger partner. 

• Love 1

Wow, she looks and carries herself much younger than her chronological age!

If I catch the movie on, I may give it another chance. I thought of the character as a cooking and media prodigy, assuming she was about 15 years younger than what she must be if she's actually older than Rick Fox.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, Luckylyn said:

The only movie I ever wanted a sequel for was Let It Snow because they kept mentioning a brother who moved to Australia.  I keep thinking a Christmas storyline set in Australia would be a great way to liven up the annual Hallmark Christmas movie flood.  

Sadly, they would have to cut out the plot with CCB's father, or recast, if they were to do a sequel for that movie. (RIP Alan Thicke.) Though I would want one just to see what they ended up doing with the Snow Valley lodge - if they used her and Brady's updated plans or perhaps everyone else at Falcon thought like her father did and they simply put up a big resort.

• Love 3

My Secret Valentine was a slight remake of You've Got Mail, which was a remake of something else I'm blanking on.  It was cute in its way, but I really wish Hallmark movies didn't wait until the last 5 minutes to resolve the story.   After Andrew Walker's character tore up the contract to buy the vineyard, then what?  He's probably fired, or is he?  Is he leaving? Helping Lacey run the vineyard?  What?  I want answers, not just a quick smooch at the end.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

My Secret Valentine was a slight remake of You've Got Mail, which was a remake of something else I'm blanking on.  It was cute in its way, but I really wish Hallmark movies didn't wait until the last 5 minutes to resolve the story.   After Andrew Walker's character tore up the contract to buy the vineyard, then what?  He's probably fired, or is he?  Is he leaving? Helping Lacey run the vineyard?  What?  I want answers, not just a quick smooch at the end.

It was a remake of The Shop Around the Corner, which also inspired In the Good Old Summertime. I'll have to watch My Secret Valentine, then, even with all the questions, because You've Got Mail is my favorite movie EVER. It's probably not an exaggeration to say I've seen it well over a hundred times through the years. And, of course, Andrew Walker is another incentive. 

• Love 2

I was getting Lacey fatigue but may try to catch it because I love You've Got Mail as well.

I caught Love At First Bark, which is a movie I missed last year. I love animals but I couldn't get 30 minutes past it. The lead actress was so ditzy and annoying. I've liked her in other movies but hated her character in this one, and the actor was bland. 

Andrew Walker is so far out of Lacey Chanert’s league (in looks and acting). I thought it was terrible pairing however I do feel like he made her act better. The movie was cute but I can’t see anyone other than Lacey in all her movies... I can never get into her characters. But yes, need some resolution! Is he working at her winery? Are they together? What? 

Not sure if it was similar to what happened in You've Got Mail or those other movies, but the misunderstanding in this one bugged me more than usual. There should not have even been a misunderstanding with the storyline, and I was hoping there wouldn't be. Lacey's character should not have been mad at Seth for buying her dad's vineyard when 1. She knew all along that's why he was there; 2. She never told anyone (besides her friend kind of) she had any thoughts about running the vineyard herself; 3. Her Dad wanted to tell her the news. It was her own fault for not speaking up, even if she wasn't fully sure yet that she wanted to do it. So anyway, yeah, that bugged me. I wish these writers wouldn't insist on the "misunderstandings." Some movies I enjoy up until that point and it ruins it or almost ruins it for me. 

• Love 4

Funnily enough, I didn't hate that Chabert/Walker movie. Yeah, it was derivative, yeah, it felt like a Summer or Fall movie script repurposed for February, yeah, it was barely tied to Valentine's Day, and yeah, the ending was hella rushed, but somehow, that pairing worked for me, and Chabert seemed more motivated than she's been in some other HM movies.

So nothing particularly good or bad, but an okay movie, which is still better than that All of my Heart 2 one.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, VMepicgrl said:

I wish these writers wouldn't insist on the "misunderstandings." Some movies I enjoy up until that point and it ruins it or almost ruins it for me. 

I detest the misunderstandings.  Like you, it takes all the fun out of the movie for me.   There can be drama - or not - but stupidly overheard and misunderstood conversations are not the way to go about it.

• Love 4

I was looking forward to Very Valentine and it was fine.  I think Danica does a great job in every movie she's in but both actors were so wooden.  Damon ruined Ice Sculpture Christmas with his lack of energy and he was a dud here as well.  Why did the two guys keep meeting up anyway?  

Cameron and Danica only have a friend chemistry.  He can be decent at emoting but he didn't seem to be here. He's much better playing off Ali Sweeney.  I think a movie with Erin Krakow could work too.

Overall this was probably the best of the Valentine movies.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Cameron and Danica only have a friend chemistry.  He can be decent at emoting but he didn't seem to be here. He's much better playing off Ali Sweeney.  I think a movie with Erin Krakow could work too.

Overall this was probably the best of the Valentine movies.

I just find Cameron looking really old lately. It is like his face is thin and it makes him look old. Don't find him particularly attractive but the movie was ok.  I am growing tired of Danica and Lacy. They need to give them a little rest.

• Love 3

Yeah, didn't care much for Very, Very, Valentine.  Not really a fan of low-energy Damon Runyan as a co-romantic lead, and didn't feel much romantic chemistry between McKellar & Mathison. Heck, there was more sparks & charm in that 20-seconds Dalton/Liebert trailer, at the end, than in this entire movie.

• Love 1

I diverge with the opinions on Very, Very Valentine in that it actually earned a "I'd watch that again" rating.  Even when I like a Hallmark movie, I rarely think that.  After Crown for Christmas, it's my favorite in the ouevre of Danica.

In fact, Danica is one of the recurring Hallmark stars that I haven't tired of mainly because she tends to do the tropiest movies and those tropes are the tropes I love.  And friends to lovers works.

I guess I tend to really love movies who have a solid structure which I think this one did.  The banter was lively and believable.  The angst didn't feel silly.  He asked her out. She didn't know and found someone else.  He wants her to be happy so he doesn't say anything.  She starts to reconsider their friendship but before she can say anything, he's trying to set her up with who he thinks she wants which gives her the wrong impression. 

I even thought they had better chemistry than a lot of pairings these movies get.  I mean, it's not Ali Sweeney/Cameron or Danica/RPJ or Antonio/Autumn but believed them more than I believe most of these.

• Love 3

I will give Cameron a pass on looking old since he’s 48. He still looks good. I thought Danica and Neal Bledsloe had much better chemistry in the Christmas movie, but I liked the friendship storyline in the Valentine’s movie. I preferred this to Lacey’s movie last week.

• Love 1

. I don’t understand her hair.

PREACH!  Holy Moses - she needs to cut off like 6 inches, stat.  And, quit with the ringlets and whispy hairs out of place.  I just wanted to give her a hairbrush, an elastic, and scissors.  

ETA - I really liked the cooking movie!  Leads had good chemistry, plot was believable, and romance built over whatever the course of a season of a tv show was....at least a few weeks anyways.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 2

Glad you guys liked it. Will try to watch it this week but the Olympics are talking over night time TV. The premise seemed interesting and different from the usual Hallmark fare. Plus, I didn’t like Ali’s last Christmas movie and was hoping this one would be better.

I liked the cooking movie a lot too.  Definitely one of the best Hallmark movies I've seen in a while.  The leads were both likable and believable, as were supporting characters like the executive producer and the best friend.  And both the leads learned and grew over the course of their relationship.  I liked the theme of nudging the kids (and the leads) to learn, but having to let them figure things out themselves.

And she had a real job!  That she really liked and was good at! And she got promoted in the end!  And city people were okay!!!

• Love 7

Just catching up with all the V-Day movies with a personal marathon. I thought the Lacey/Andrew movie was cute but nothing that really stood out. I agree with what everyone said about the end. I would have loved a better cap off to let us know what will happen to the characters. I remember their behind the scenes x's and o's video and Andrew seemed really smitten with Lacey. That was too cute.

Watching Very, Very Valentine right now and enjoying it. Already at the ball and I'm kind of wishing there was another scene or two beforehand to show Danica and Cameron's buddy relationship. I'm enjoying the banter they have. Emmett will always be Emmett and I'm super amused he can't seem to get away from masquerade balls (heh). Hallmark boasted a twist in the previews, but from what the behind the scenes vid and leads show, it's not too much of a twist but I guess this type of storyline hasn't been trodden before by Hallmark. I'm here for it. Enjoying it so far. Cooking with Love is next after this one and then I'll probably watch Dash of Love and my V-Day faves after that. I kind of wish Hallmark showed all them throughout the day.

Anyway, I've been checking out ratings because I was super curious to see what movies had the most eyes and I was pleasantly surprised to see OWW was the most watched movie out of all the Winterfest flicks. It was in the lead for the year until Lacey and Andrew's movie came out and bested it by only a few digits. I hope Hallmark takes note and adds more POCs like Pixl does and expands on their stories. They balanced it well in OWW and it may be a way to ease into more POC leads for us. Goodness knows it's long overdue.

Cooking with Love was so cute. Probably my favorite this year. The leads were great, as was the supporting cast. Plus, no annoying significant other trope or stupid misunderstanding. Definitely staying on the the DVR for another rewatch. I liked the lead actor and thinks he can do well in other Hallmark movies- it is definitely a change from his character on Agents of SHIELD.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Did anyone watch the latest Signed Sealed Delivered movie? I liked it much better than the last one. I thought it was interesting that the main plot didn't go where I thought it would. It was interesting that we learned more about Shane's family and Oliver was supporting her instead of the other way around.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Did anyone watch the latest Signed Sealed Delivered movie? I liked it much better than the last one. I thought it was interesting that the main plot didn't go where I thought it would. It was interesting that we learned more about Shane's family and Oliver was supporting her instead of the other way around.

I thought it was OK, but it seemed less "postal" than usual. They could have been a group of anybodies.

Saw a repeat this weekend of Autumn something-or-other....with Jill Wagner and Collin Egglesfield.  It was a win for me.  yes, there was the significant other trope but I liked the storyline.  I thought we’d find out at the end that the father purposefully didn’t file the annulment papers because he thought they actually were good for each other (just not when they were so young).  Like he realized they’d have to meet back up later in life and would reconcile...or something.  She was a bit TOO Pollyanna/Mary Sue for my but I still thought it was good.  

• Love 3