Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Agent Provocateur

• Start Topic

A teenager is sexually assaulted and left for dead in an alley after attending a movie star's party; Benson is suspicious when security footage from the party goes missing.

All this title brings to mind for me is the name of a Foreigner album. Yes, I'm old.

• Love 5

My Barba love just grows and grows!

Olivia and Amaro...Uggg.... Could you two possible just try to be objective for once?

Also, who's in charge of costumes for this show? Fin's whole get up was horrible.

Edited by GraceAnne
  • Love 2

Wasn't "Lenny Simmons" played by the guy who was the cousin on "Mad About You"?

Yup, that was Cousin Ira--John Pankow.

I enjoyed the uncharacteristic humor. The star of the episode was definitely Barba. Great ties and outfits, and lots of snark. A perfect combination.

ETA (off-topic): I just looked John Pankow up on IMDB. I can't believe I never put this together, but his brother is James Pankow, the trombonist from the band Chicago, who I had a major crush on when I was younger (dating myself here). Huh.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

Caruso was great undercover! I think he's a great addition !

I know you meant Carisi, but this brought David Caruso and his glasses o'doom to mind. Then again, as ridiculous as a lot of SVU has become of late, maybe his Horatio Caine would fit right in.

• Love 4

So does the Shia Lebouf-esque character winking at the girl at the end prove that he was somewhat involved? Was that girl, the girl from the suitcase?

This plot was confusing...can someone break it down for me.

I actually kind of enjoyed this episode but my biggest takeaway is that I think I'm in love with Carisi.

My takeaway was that the victim had what appeared to be the sketchiest uncle in the history of all uncles.  Not only did he look sleazy (the mustache alone should have been a felony), was that a crack pipe he was covering up when he was taking the detectives up to his niece's room?  And honestly, he brought some random person home with him, even though he thought his niece was asleep in the next room?  

• Love 4

A good episode. Yay! Carisi was awesome. Barba too. I liked the humor (especially since it all felt intentional for a change). The focus was on the case and not the personal problems of the squad. It would have been better with a new Lt. or Captain and there were a few points in the plot where it threatened to go off the rails, but overall it seems like the show is still on an upward trend.

Why does everyone think the actor was supposed to be Shia LaBeouf?

Everything about the actor was Franco!  Franco did the dating a youth over the internet thing, inviting her to his hotel room, and his whole life is an art piece.  Shia is a totally different animal.

I'm usually the type of person who NEVER gets who the 'killer'/'suspect' is so I was really annoyed that I knew through this whole episode.  Jeremy Jordan is the new hot thing right now, and I knew knew knew he'd be the 'bad guy' in the end.  I've never seen Shiloh Fernandez in anything before (except, apparently, Gossip Girl).

I'm in love with Carisi too.   Ever since they let him shave the mustache off. 

So does the Shia Lebouf-esque character winking at the girl at the end prove that he was somewhat involved? Was that girl, the girl from the suitcase?

I think it was a completely new girl, and she was another crazy that was in love with the actor.  I guess that's what we were supposed to think.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Why does everyone think the actor was supposed to be Shia LaBeouf?

Everything about the actor was Franco!  Franco did the dating a youth over the internet thing, inviting her to his hotel room, and his whole life is an art piece.  Shia is a totally different animal.

It was a mix of James Franco and Shia LeBeouf. The case seemed to stem from the Franco incident, but the character Russo at one point sits in an art gallery wearing a paper bag over his head, which is something Shia LeBeouf did last year. I was surprised they didn't take the Shia angle further considering he alleges that he was raped during his art show by a female fan and that's obviously right up SVU's alley, but it seemed they were just using Shia as inspiration to make the James Franco character even douchier. 

Edited by Everleigh
  • Love 1

My takeaway was that the victim had what appeared to be the sketchiest uncle in the history of all uncles.  Not only did he look sleazy (the mustache alone should have been a felony), was that a crack pipe he was covering up when he was taking the detectives up to his niece's room?  And honestly, he brought some random person home with him, even though he thought his niece was asleep in the next room?

You're correct on all points, IMHO. Most people wouldn't nominate him for uncle of the year or ask him to babysit!

• Love 1

Oh I missed that they had the actor imitate the paper bag thing.

Shiloh Fernandez looks like someone but I couldn't place who.  Oh noooooow I remember him on Gossip Girl.  He was the love interest in the backdoor pilot episode of Valley Girls!

The opening (young woman attacked in a hotel, taken out in a suitcase, left for dead with no memory of the attack) was surely based on this case: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/vanishing-blonde-201012 . The real case is fascinating (but otherwise different from the SVU ep).

Although they used the disposal method (suitcase), I don't believe the girl was beaten in SVU.

In any event, I thought the primary "ripped from the headlines" similarity was to the Bill Cosby allegations, i.e. she was drugged and raped.

I think it was a completely new girl, and she was another crazy that was in love with the actor.  I guess that's what we were supposed to think.

Agree, I thought it was another blonde.  Always another groupie around the corner, right?

ETA:  Loved the way their Harvey Levin character, "Mr. LMZ", was ready for them and delighted to put on a show during his Friday afternoon bust.

Edited by aguabella

That scene with crazy Carisi was hilarious. It took me a minute to register that it was him since his wasn't slicked back. That guy is a great actor and it's a shame that he isn't in every episode.

I would totally enjoy the episodes more if Carisi was in all of them. There is something about a hot guy in a well fitting suit that makes me happy.

• Love 2

I initially thought he was going to be her "Uncle" - like, she claimed to her family she was meeting her Uncle, when she was actually going to meet an older man she'd been talking to or something.  Then when he turned out to be her actual uncle, my only thought was "What the hell is wrong with you?"  He was even a bad uncle by SVU standards.

• Love 3

Although they used the disposal method (suitcase), I don't believe the girl was beaten in SVU.

Well, yes, that's why I said "otherwise different from the SVU ep" - the "ripped from the headlines" aspects of the show always have some details changed.  And L&O episodes often have "ripped" elements from several different unrelated real cases.  The main story may have been based on something completely different, but it's still interesting (to me, anyway) that the opening is clearly based on the story in that article. 

No, she was just passed out from the drugs (which she took willingly.)

They wanted her found -- hence the anonymous 911 call -- just not found in a way that would tie her to them!

Man I'm old! When I saw the name Jeremy Jordan I kept waiting for the guy who sang "Right Kind of Love" at the end of 90210 to show up! 

I definitely caught the James Franco sleaze, I didn't think about Shia until coming here, and it also fits.

• Love 1

That was a great L&O . Camp at its best.

I totally was thinking Franco the whole time..didn't even pick up on the LaBoof shoutout.

Wasn't the uncle played by Jack Noseworht? I think he was a teen heartthrob at some point.

Has the tmz guy made any comment?

Edited by Diana Berry
You're correct on all points, IMHO. Most people wouldn't nominate him for uncle of the year or ask him to babysit!

The way they were both terrified of her mom made me think that Mom was some kind of bipolar terror who dated drug lords or something, especially since she was in Atlantic City: A.K.A. "Hub Of All Sin And Vice On A Show That Takes Place In New York City." But then she turns out to be a totally normal mom. Albeit one who raised an idiot. 

was that a crack pipe he was covering up when he was taking the detectives up to his niece's room?

No, it was just a vaporizer pen for pot; hence the "wake and bake" comment by Carisi.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1