Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Yeah it does help sometimes to have them bring up quietness so I can somewhat explain myself, but my coworkers seem to have amnesia from one day to the next and will bring it up again...and that's when it annoys me and I become even more quiet like you mentioned. 

Yeah, that's true, there are times when it is fine to ask if someone who hasn't said much does have something to add or say, but there's better ways to go about that than, "You're so quiet." And like you said, if you know someone's not a big talker in general, then it helps to keep that in mind when you do need to include them in a conversation at some point. 

('m glad to hear there are more people like me out there, I don't seem to know any personally 🖤

You're definitely not alone :). Lots of people out there that are like this. Just that our natural tendency to be quiet kinda makes it hard for us to reach out to each other sometimes :p. 

I've always been the quiet one in my group of friends, too :D. Luckily, they appreciate that - I think I balance them out a little more :p. And they seem to trust me more with secrets or opening up about stuff, 'cause they know I'll listen, which is nice. 

• Love 2

Extroverts vs. introverts reminds me of morning people vs night owls -- where someone is from the socially preferred group (extroverts and morning people), their privilege means they don't ever have to consider how things are different for their opposites if they don't want to, and many never bother.  But introverts and night owls (I am both) have to consider the way our opposites feel and operate. 

So things like "You're so quiet" and "Why are you still sleeping?" are deemed totally acceptable to say, and thus commonplace, but very few people run around saying things like "You talk a lot" and "Why are you in bed already?"

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but very few people run around saying things like "You talk a lot" and "Why are you in bed already?"

Actually, if I had a nickel for every time someone said "You talk a lot" --well, I'd have a LOT of nickels.
And writing hundreds and hundreds of times on the board or on paper in elementary school "I will not talk in class" seemed to just make it worse.
I am still regularly warned "not to say anything" about X, Y, or Z.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

You're definitely not alone :). Lots of people out there that are like this. Just that our natural tendency to be quiet kinda makes it hard for us to reach out to each other sometimes :p. 

I've always been the quiet one in my group of friends, too :D. Luckily, they appreciate that - I think I balance them out a little more :p. And they seem to trust me more with secrets or opening up about stuff, 'cause they know I'll listen, which is nice. 

I'm the same way in my group of friends and at home and I do believe you're right that we really balance things out since extroverts love to talk,. They can do all or most of the talking and we can be our quiet selves and listen lol. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Yes!! I don't get it either. I've tried explaining it by saying it's just the way i'm wired but then I still get a confused look, as if they can't imagine someone might not be talkative or outgoing.  And yes, I agree if we want to contribute we will! I can go on and on about a subject that I'm passionate about but will be more quiet otherwise. 

I'm right there with you. And what is interesting, on some occasions when I happened to talk a lot about some topic I was particularly interested in, or had a rant, those same people who were previously telling me how quiet I am all the time would say something like "Well, aren't you chatty all of a suddenn." 😄

Actually, I think that when I start talking more, it is a sign that I feel more comfortable around that person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
36 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

And what is interesting, on some occasions when I happened to talk a lot about some topic I was particularly interested in, or had a rant, those same people who were previously telling me how quiet I am all the time would say something like "Well, aren't you chatty all of a suddenn." 😄

Actually, I think that when I start talking more, it is a sign that I feel more comfortable around that person.

Ha, yeah, I've gotten that "Aren't you chatty!" comment, too. So if I don't talk a lot, that's odd, but if I am going on about something, that's also odd. Okay :p. 

And same in regards to the bolded part :). 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I put mine back up this morning and have been bizarrely elated all day! I am happy to report that, even in the midst of the whole thing, no one from our condos has seen any dead birds around. 

I have always fed them, have about 7 feeders plus bird baths, and haven't spotted any sick or dead birds either.  I'm going to wait until September to put them back out.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

A peeve right now: what takes some places so long to send a confirmation email? I have been waiting 20 minutes and I need it, man!

This may or may not apply to the business you are waiting on but the confirmation email provider my company uses has had intermittent outages this week delaying transactional emails for several hours.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

A peeve right now: what takes some places so long to send a confirmation email? I have been waiting 20 minutes and I need it, man!

Have you checked your spam/junk folders?

And I'm aware that is about as ubiquitous as an IT person asking you if you rebooted your computer.

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

there are times when it is fine to ask if someone who hasn't said much does have something to add or say, but there's better ways to go about that than, "You're so quiet."

Almost anything is a better way to go about it than that.  It's like people who see someone sitting alone at a party looking unhappy and stride up to them and say, "Wow! you sure look like you're not having a good time!"

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

So things like "You're so quiet" and "Why are you still sleeping?" are deemed totally acceptable to say, and thus commonplace, but very few people run around saying things like "You talk a lot" and "Why are you in bed already?"

I’ve often been on the receiving end of comments like “how can you go to bed so early / get up so early”!  But it’s probably a cultural thing because it’s unusual back home for anyone to be a morning person.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Love 5

It seems to me that the culturally approved thing to say is "I'm not a morning person". Especially in TV and movies, you don't want to be that awful person who naturally wakes up early, especially not if you're at all cheerful.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ABay said:

It seems to me that the culturally approved thing to say is "I'm not a morning person". Especially in TV and movies, you don't want to be that awful person who naturally wakes up early, especially not if you're at all cheerful.

My DH is unreasonably chipper in the morning. It's diabolical.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH is unreasonably chipper in the morning. It's diabolical.

Ah, my husband has a long lost brother!  It's just annoying as hell to have someone who wakes up at 6.30 even on week-ends and whose idea of sleeping in is 8 am.  I've crunched the numbers and I really don't sleep any more than he does in an average night but because he gets up early, while I prefer to stay up late he's the one with bragging rights!!

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Ah, my husband has a long lost brother!  It's just annoying as hell to have someone who wakes up at 6.30 even on week-ends and whose idea of sleeping in is 8 am.  I've crunched the numbers and I really don't sleep any more than he does in an average night but because he gets up early, while I prefer to stay up late he's the one with bragging rights!!

Right? He's usually in bed by nine, whereas I stay up until 10 -10:30. And he does it even on weekends too. 

• Love 2

AND...today, some derelict used my CC info to purchase a "gaming laptop" from a Walmart I have never shopped in (and wouldn't, even if I chose to shop at Walmart at all). My bank caught it but idiot Walmart did not; after I received an email saying "my" order was ready for pickup, I figured I'd call and let them know. Because they don't answer phones, they were unable to intercept before I got the second email saying that "my" order has been picked up. Why I even got those emails, I have no idea. And, yes, I scoured them for clues! I found none! I feel madder at Walmart than I am at the perp.

• Useful 1
On 8/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, emma675 said:

It sucks when one person and their hoard has an affect on so many others who don't have anything to do with the situation. I just keep my distance at this point.

This is like a metaphor for anti-vaxers vs. the rest of humanity.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

AND...today, some derelict used my CC info to purchase a "gaming laptop" from a Walmart I have never shopped in (and wouldn't, even if I chose to shop at Walmart at all). My bank caught it but idiot Walmart did not; after I received an email saying "my" order was ready for pickup, I figured I'd call and let them know. Because they don't answer phones, they were unable to intercept before I got the second email saying that "my" order has been picked up. Why I even got those emails, I have no idea. And, yes, I scoured them for clues! I found none! I feel madder at Walmart than I am at the perp.

Did you report this to the police?  Perhaps there’s a security camera at this Walmart that recorded the pickup so they can try to catch the thief?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am thinking about it! Because oh my god, I feel so annoyed that I tried to help Walmart (of all things!) and was thwarted! I am going to!

Please do.  I am several weeks into a grand jury service and so far we’ve heard some cases related to theft, one of them was for shoplifting at the local Target.  They didn’t catch the guy to arrest him (he was identified via security footage and a fingerprint found on something they knew he touched in the store) but he’s got an indictment waiting for him when they do find him.  Chances are the thief who used your CC will do it again with someone else’s information and I’m sure you’ll have a great sense of satisfaction knowing you helped shut him/her down.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

Please do.  I am several weeks into a grand jury service and so far we’ve heard some cases related to theft, one of them was for shoplifting at the local Target.  They didn’t catch the guy to arrest him (he was identified via security footage and a fingerprint found on something they knew he touched in the store) but he’s got an indictment waiting for him when they do find him.  Chances are the thief who used your CC will do it again with someone else’s information and I’m sure you’ll have a great sense of satisfaction knowing you helped shut him/her down.  

Just did -- easy online form.

Here's a random peeve: people who get all aggro and indignant about celebrities having opinions. Like, whatever—disagree, snort at it, call them out on Twitter, fine. But to be mad because they have opinions at all is garbage, as is posting shit that says “we pay you to play football/sing songs/do comedy/etc.” They’re people and they’re allowed to think and talk about stuff other than their jobs, same as the asses who get all charged up about it (which they seem to do only when a celebrity doesn’t mirror their own opinion).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 13

I watched a video a few days ago because I'd forgotten how to do them and was never great at it. And this project has more French knots than the thousand burning nuns I hate them more than.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ABay said:

French knots. What demon hellspawn created French knots?

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't recall having trouble with them back when I did embroidery (before having cataract surgery). 
Are you pulling it too tight at the end? 
Here's a video: https://youtu.be/W1Cq24d5-8s

Or is it just that your piece requires too damn many of them?

I read the first post & thought I should know what that was, but didn't, then I read the second & it took me right back to my youth when I did embroidery. I do believe I also hated them.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I read the first post & thought I should know what that was

Totally unfamiliar with embroidery, for some reason my brain's first thought was perhaps a French knot was a pastry.  Yeah, I don't know - why wouldn't I figure a knot was a knot?  But, hey, looking it up taught me something new.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Totally unfamiliar with embroidery, for some reason my brain's first thought was perhaps a French knot was a pastry.

My first thought was that this was another name for the French Twist hairstyle.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Today's peeve, as on so many summer days, is bugs. Yesterday I wore long pants while watering the garden and it looks like I have bumpy anklets on both legs. They got one of my hands as well, and kept flying at my face. It was 76 degrees (the other summer peeve) when I went out this morning and I wore: socks, long pants, a long-sleeved hoodie with hood up, gloves, mask, and huge sunglasses. No bites! So all I have to do is dress like I'm going to rob a bank or invest in a beekeeper's outfit.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, ABay said:

Today's peeve, as on so many summer days, is bugs. Yesterday I wore long pants while watering the garden and it looks like I have bumpy anklets on both legs. They got one of my hands as well, and kept flying at my face. It was 76 degrees (the other summer peeve) when I went out this morning and I wore: socks, long pants, a long-sleeved hoodie with hood up, gloves, mask, and huge sunglasses. No bites! So all I have to do is dress like I'm going to rob a bank or invest in a beekeeper's outfit.

Assuming it’s mosquitoes, you could let them feast on you for 2 weeks so that your exposed arms or legs are literally covered with bites. Then, at or near the 2-week mark, new bites will barely rise up and then quickly disappear. In future years, the first couple of bites of the season will itch a lot, then subsequent bites will be hardly noticeable.

At least, it’s worked that way for me since the 1970s in Banff National Park.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Totally unfamiliar with embroidery, for some reason my brain's first thought was perhaps a French knot was a pastry. 

I thought it had something to do with boat ropes. I'm still not entirely sure what it is, lol.

• LOL 5

I might get over my resistance to rummaging through a box of clothes I still have downstairs where there should be a very twee pink cotton sweater I knitted in the late '80s that has embroidered flowers all over the yoke, featuring a ton of French knots. It may just be a knack that suddenly hits you after you try enough of them, but I remember them as being pretty satisfying to make. And they look like very adorable nubbins. Anyway, if I find it, I'll take a pic. But don't give up! I'm proof they can be mastered even without YouTube, I swear.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

A very specific to me pet peeve: People who screw around when ordering their sandwich in the cafe at work.

Context:

• The vast majority of my coworkers have been my coworkers for the entire 6+ years we have been in this building with this lunch room.
  • The sandwich section of the cafe has had the same selection of breads, spreads, meats, salads, and toppings for the entire 6+ years we have been in this building with this lunch room.
  • Most of my coworkers maintain very steady routines. They know they're going to be getting lunch at 12:45, just like the do every day.

Me ordering a sandwich:  "Hi Cindy! I'll have the house roast turkey on marble rye with lettuce, tomato, and mayo" or "Hi! I'll have grilled chicken on a low carb wrap with lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayo."

My coworkers ordering a sandwich (often the legal department): "Hi Cindy!  Umm... I think I'll have the turkey."

Cindy: "Which one?"

Coworker: [points] "That one."

Cindy: [waits]

Coworker: "Do you have any ciabatta rolls?"

Cindy: "Yes"

Coworker: "Okay, lets do that then."

"And I think pepperjack"

Me standing behind this drawn out sandwich negotiation: [leaves with plans to come back later]

• LOL 14
On 8/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Just did -- easy online form.

Here's a random peeve: people who get all aggro and indignant about celebrities having opinions. Like, whatever—disagree, snort at it, call them out on Twitter, fine. But to be mad because they have opinions at all is garbage, as is posting shit that says “we pay you to play football/sing songs/do comedy/etc.” They’re people and they’re allowed to think and talk about stuff other than their jobs, same as the asses who get all charged up about it (which they seem to do only when a celebrity doesn’t mirror their own opinion).

Whenever this happens I've often found a huge racial/misogynistic bent to it. Like they're extremely pressed that a superstar black athlete has an opinion, but would never dream of telling, say, Aubrey Huff to shut his yap. 

My pet peeve is 20-something year olds moaning that they "need" botox and face fillers. No honey you don't NEED that. You WANT it which is fine, you do you, but a 20-something year old doesn't NEED botox.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

While we're asking questions of the universe:  Why are the people who tell the most jokes the ones with the most painfully sophomoric senses of humor?  And how many times do their jokes need to go over like a lead balloon before they catch a clue and stop?

If I have to endure one more conference call with this guy, I'm going to lose it.

Also, let me re-state my peeve about the demise of brick-and-mortar stores.  I spent an hour sweating away in my garage troubleshooting what's wrong with my garage door opener this time (this will be the third different thing I've fixed on it in the eleven years since I installed it - and it's a Genie, it's not like I cheaped out with some unknown brand), concluding I need new limit switches.  Except I can't physically go get them anywhere locally, I have to order them online, and they won't be delivered until Wednesday. 

And, of course, this happens during a time I'm leaving twice a day to take care of a friend's cats, when normally I easily go a week without going anywhere in my car.  So I have to either keep operating it manually or just leave the car in the driveway, with either scenario bugging me in this heat.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

…Also, let me re-state my peeve about the demise of brick-and-mortar stores.  I spent an hour sweating away in my garage troubleshooting what's wrong with my garage door opener this time (this will be the third different thing I've fixed on it in the eleven years since I installed it - and it's a Genie, it's not like I cheaped out with some unknown brand), concluding I need new limit switches.  Except I can't physically go get them anywhere locally, I have to order them online, and they won't be delivered until Wednesday. 

And, of course, this happens during a time I'm leaving twice a day to take care of a friend's cats, when normally I easily go a week without going anywhere in my car.  So I have to either keep operating it manually or just leave the car in the driveway, with either scenario bugging me in this heat.

This reminds me of why I keep buying crappy HP printers that stop communicating wirelessly with my computer after a few months —because the ink is available at the local store. Epson makes printers with better software, but I have to order the ink online.  
So, @Bastet, I guess our choices are either well-made equipment or shoddy equipment for which we can get parts locally. 
It’s probably a supply-and-demand thing, but it’s not working for the consumer.

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Whenever this happens I've often found a huge racial/misogynistic bent to it. Like they're extremely pressed that a superstar black athlete has an opinion, but would never dream of telling, say, Aubrey Huff to shut his yap. 

Yes! And often, they don’t flat-out say that (whether it’s because they know they shouldn’t or because they’re generally too inarticulate to even try), so if one was to call them out on it, that person would look like an asshole!

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yes! And often, they don’t flat-out say that (whether it’s because they know they shouldn’t or because they’re generally too inarticulate to even try), so if one was to call them out on it, that person would look like an asshole!

Many of them in my experience are just totally clueless. Like they honestly don't see the racism in telling Lebron James to "shut up and dribble" and then approving of, say, Drew Brees* because HE'S just "expressing his opinion."

*I don't dislike Drew Brees just because he was raised very conservatively, by the way. He's not offensive like Aubrey Huff. And yes, he should be allowed to have an opinion just like Lebron James has opinions because the opinions are not hateful.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

A very specific to me pet peeve: People who screw around when ordering their sandwich in the cafe at work.

Context:

• The vast majority of my coworkers have been my coworkers for the entire 6+ years we have been in this building with this lunch room.
  • The sandwich section of the cafe has had the same selection of breads, spreads, meats, salads, and toppings for the entire 6+ years we have been in this building with this lunch room.
  • Most of my coworkers maintain very steady routines. They know they're going to be getting lunch at 12:45, just like the do every day.

Me ordering a sandwich:  "Hi Cindy! I'll have the house roast turkey on marble rye with lettuce, tomato, and mayo" or "Hi! I'll have grilled chicken on a low carb wrap with lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayo."

My coworkers ordering a sandwich (often the legal department): "Hi Cindy!  Umm... I think I'll have the turkey."

Cindy: "Which one?"

Coworker: [points] "That one."

Cindy: [waits]

Coworker: "Do you have any ciabatta rolls?"

Cindy: "Yes"

Coworker: "Okay, lets do that then."

"And I think pepperjack"

Me standing behind this drawn out sandwich negotiation: [leaves with plans to come back later]

This reminded me of when I worked at a small movie theater in college. The concession stand would get very busy before each show time. Every single time, there would be some jackass who had been in line for 10 minutes but when getting to the counter would stand, gazing agape at the overhead menu, saying, "Uhhh, can I have, uhhh..." USE YOUR TIME WISELY; PEOPLE ARE WAITING AND THERE'S A DEADLINE!

If you had to wait in line behind at least one person and you have at least one person behind you, you get five seconds to choose your item or the trapdoor under your feet opens, and you have to watch "Howard the Duck". No refunds!

You get 10 seconds if there's no one else in line.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
On 8/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, theredhead77 said:

Current mood, due to being majorly peeved about a fuckton of shit

image.png.3875e96721006edfd3504a42f7408cb6.png

I’m a listener, and am tired of certain people taking advantage.  I’ve had it.  It gets to a point where you get resentful.  

• Love 4

On 8/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am in Indiana and we have been dealing with this since June, and many states east of us and along the eastern seaboard have been even earlier than that.

A couple days ago, the Indiana DNR announced that most Indiana counties can again resume feeding.  I don't share this as an endorsement for everyone to do so, but just for information.  I would connect with your state's DNR, either on social media or through their website to stay updated on your location.   The confounding thing is that they still haven't been able to identify the problem.  Lots of theories floating around, but nothing concrete. 

76_counties_can_resume_feeding_birds

DNR?  Do not resuscitate?

On 8/13/2021 at 5:43 AM, shapeshifter said:

Assuming it’s mosquitoes, you could let them feast on you for 2 weeks so that your exposed arms or legs are literally covered with bites. Then, at or near the 2-week mark, new bites will barely rise up and then quickly disappear. In future years, the first couple of bites of the season will itch a lot, then subsequent bites will be hardly noticeable.

At least, it’s worked that way for me since the 1970s in Banff National Park.

I spent some months in a mosquito infested country.  My breakfast was scrambled eggs with raw garlic.  Mosquitos don't like the way it makes your blood smell.  (Humans don't particularly like the way it makes you smell either, but that's a whole different story.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1