Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Another peeve is cutely named food. As an example, when I worked at Chili’s as a server in college we had the Mombo Combo (today called the triple dipper). What a horrific name!  Look I wish i was the type of person who found what I’m saying absurd. But I was born with a (hopefully recessive) gene where ordering cheesy and/or stupid named items embarrasses me.

Oh god, THIS. Anyone remember the Rooty Tooty Fresh And Frooty breakfast? They could have been giving it away but nothing on earth could induce me to say that out loud.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

My tipping pet peeve is the Jersey Mike type places that put the tip option when I run my card. To hit “no tip” makes me feel like a piece of shit as the cashier is staring at me but why should I have to tip there?  Or put a tip line on the receipt. My guilt is oddly less on that method (though still have a twinge).

The owner of the poke place I go to will disable the tipping function when he is staffing the build line. I love this place, they are generous with their portions and don't nickle and dime you on the toppings so I am always happy to kick in a couple bucks for the tip, regardless of who is building my bowl.

Years ago when I was running an ice cream store our credit card machine printed the tip line on the receipt. I'm sure technology has changed by now but we could never figure out how to disable it. It sucked, too because the owner didn't understand how to cash the tips out and balance the drawer (I figured it out and tried to explain it to him) so he basically ended up keeping those tips. I told my staff to add a dash to the tip line before giving the receipt to the customer.

• Love 1

I saw this- Popeyes Unveils New %@$# Sauce That Will Leave You ‘Unhinged.  That may be old, I’m getting old but no!  

Now what’s a person with social ordering weird name anxieties going to do with that? 

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

The owner of the poke place I go to will disable the tipping function when he is staffing the build line. I love this place, they are generous with their portions and don't nickle and dime you on the toppings so I am always happy to kick in a couple bucks for the tip, regardless of who is building my bowl.

Years ago when I was running an ice cream store our credit card machine printed the tip line on the receipt. I'm sure technology has changed by now but we could never figure out how to disable it. It sucked, too because the owner didn't understand how to cash the tips out and balance the drawer (I figured it out and tried to explain it to him) so he basically ended up keeping those tips. I told my staff to add a dash to the tip line before giving the receipt to the customer.

Well, I was at a good old fashioned Baskin Robbins yesterday and did tip them cash in the jar.  The  kids deserved it even if wet walnuts are more money now 😞

And I probably would the Jersey Mike type peeps. But to have the computer ask me gets my conscience. Akin to being at the grocery store “will you do donate to ...,”

The one I always say yes to is the roundup. Now that gets me. If I was a nonprofit I’d be all about the roundup. 

Charity vs tipping I know. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

The one I always say yes to is the roundup. Now that gets me. If I was a nonprofit I’d be all about the roundup. 

The “round up” and other check-stand charity’s solicitations drive me bonkers. I know it’s a decision by corporate and I’m sure it’s the only way some people donate but knowing the business is getting the tax write off because they’ll donate as one lump sum just irks me. It’s the same reason office “pay $5 during xyz awareness month to wear jeans” drives me bonkers.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

The “round up” and other check-stand charity’s solicitations drive me bonkers. I know it’s a decision by corporate and I’m sure it’s the only way some people donate but knowing the business is getting the tax write off because they’ll donate as one lump sum just irks me. It’s the same reason office “pay $5 during xyz awareness month to wear jeans” drives me bonkers.

Yes, yes, & YES to this, I hate this. I pay you money, I'm not giving a tax write off too.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, walnutqueen said:

A few weeks ago, I was experiencing internet connectivity issues, and the customer service rep I spoke with urged me to follow the troubleshooting guide ON THE INTERNET.  Yo, Sherlock - I just  told you I had no internet connection!  Grrrrr.

That reminds me when years and years ago I got a virus on my computer, and I told my friend that the computer wouldn't let me do anything and she told me to run a scan. Um, I just told you, it won't let me do anything.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, BookWoman56 said:

As noted previously, I rarely use ATMs, but of the two closest bank branches I use, neither has an ATM in the lobby. What would be the point? The drive-up ATM is for customers who want to stay in their vehicles, and the lobby is for people who want or need to interact with a human teller, or need services not available via ATM. I have seen those generic ATMs, but there are also ATMs belonging to specific big banks in some stores. 

For those of us who don't happen to be in a car, yet still don't want to wait in a long line.  My bank took their ATM out of their lobby and I'm still mad about it.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:26 PM, TattleTeeny said:

We (me and first mentioned friend) were (drunk?) yelling that of course blind people could drive (in a "using one's arms and legs" sense) while our other friends told us we were so stupid! 

Sure.  They could drive. But, they're not likely to get very far.

• Love 2

People who intentionally spoil things for others. Yes, I am talking about the assholes who stand outside the theater yelling important plot points for Endgame (and the football player who was Tweeting non stop about it a few nights ago), the assholes who would drive by lines of people waiting for HP spoiling that, and FB exploding with enough vague spoiley content after GOT ended last night to ruin it for others.

Like have some fucking consideration for others, people! 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

People who intentionally spoil things for others. Yes, I am talking about the assholes who stand outside the theater yelling important plot points for Endgame (and the football player who was Tweeting non stop about it a few nights ago), the assholes who would drive by lines of people waiting for HP spoiling that, and FB exploding with enough vague spoiley content after GOT ended last night to ruin it for others.

Or, posters who reveal a spoiler for one show on the forums for a completely unrelated show.  I stay away from all social media and most other sites, and avoid any threads that might contain spoilers, so this sort of thing enrages me.

That said, years ago my Babalu kitty spoiled GoT for me.  I was reading a thread that had a spoiler tagged item, and he somehow managed to click on said tag as he walked across my keyboard.  Before I was able to avert my eyes, I'd seen the 4 word spoiler; which was

Spoiler

"since Sansa marries Tyrion"

Asshole cat!

• LOL 2

Stay away from TVLine if you don't want GoT spoilers! The name the characters who died on the main page, one by one.  I'm not a GoT viewer but I feel sorry for anyone who is and hasn't seen the episode yet. This reminds me why I stopped visiting that site.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 12:55 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh god, THIS. Anyone remember the Rooty Tooty Fresh And Frooty breakfast? They could have been giving it away but nothing on earth could induce me to say that out loud.

Can confirm the Rooty Tooty still exists. Mom and I met for dinner at IHOP about a month ago. It's still on the menu.

Moe's has dumb, cutesy names for its offerings and I refuse(d because I haven't eaten there in almost two years since there was one across the street from my last job) to say the name. I would just say, "Vegetarian burrito on wheat tortilla" or whatever. I just can't bring myself to say goofy names to anyone but the cats.

19 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It’s the same reason office “pay $5 during xyz awareness month to wear jeans” drives me bonkers.

Ugh, this reminded me of my former job. EVERY FRIDAY, if you wanted to wear jeans, you had to donate $5 to the company's "charity". There was never any information about what the charity was or did. Shady-ass shysters.

Of course, none of the brokers or management (who could afford it) ever actually donated. Only the support staff did. Like, WE SEE YOU and there's a ledger!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Ugh, this reminded me of my former job. EVERY FRIDAY, if you wanted to wear jeans, you had to donate $5 to the company's "charity". There was never any information about what the charity was or did.

The Human Fund?

(TM Seinfeld)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'll add people who post news about an event in an unexpected place & ruin it for others. For example: during the Olympics I went to Gossip Cop expecting to reading about celebrity gossip, & was hit with a headline about who won the gold medal in gymnastics. They didn't even put it inside a story, they just posted it in the title. I had stayed away from news sites because I didn't want to be spoiled, & never expected to see Olympic results on a gossip site, so I was really pissed.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Ugh, this reminded me of my former job. EVERY FRIDAY, if you wanted to wear jeans, you had to donate $5 to the company's "charity". There was never any information about what the charity was or did. Shady-ass shysters.

Of course, none of the brokers or management (who could afford it) ever actually donated. Only the support staff did. Like, WE SEE YOU and there's a ledger!

Here's what I don't like about that.  First of all, if there's a ledger where everyone can see who donated and who didn't.  That's not cool.  But, even so, it's obvious by who's not wearing jeans. Which also begs the question of what happens if you come in wearing jeans without having donated.  Do they ream you out in front of everyone, deduct $5 from your paycheck?

If you, as a company, have a charity you want to support, set up a voluntary donation and have casual Friday separate from that.  And, yes, be specific about what that charity is.  They could be support Al-Qaeda for all you know.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And, yes, be specific about what that charity is.  They could be support Al-Qaeda for all you know.

From what @bilgistic has said in the past about the place, it was probably going towards the bar tab at the country club on Saturday evening...

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

That said, years ago my Babalu kitty spoiled GoT for me.  I was reading a thread that had a spoiler tagged item, and he somehow managed to click on said tag as he walked across my keyboard

Cats can be jerks! (but I love 'em!)

Today's pet peeve:  Drug manufacturers that decide to quit making a certain drug and insurance companies that decide not to cover a medicine.  My BP medicine went generic a few years ago which is great because it's so cheap now.   But, the last time I had it refilled, I got a partial refill and the pharmacy had to have the last 30 days of pills sent from a store in the next state.  This is because the manufacturer had stopped producing it and the pharmacy couldn't say how long this would continue.  I'm going to probably run out before I can get an appointment with my doctor, so I'll have to see what they can do.  I can't get the non-generic, because my insurance won't cover it.  And, one of my eyedrops (for glaucoma) isn't going to be covered by my insurance anymore.  I was already paying $100 for a 30-day supply after insurance and definitely can't pay the non-covered price (which would be about $300 for a bottle).  I haven't talked to my eye doctor yet, but when I tried to do an automatic refill (and had planned on calling the doctor when the pharmacy contacted me about the cost to see if there was any way he could fill out forms to document that I had to take that particular drop) I found out that the pharmacy had filled it with a different drop (and I had a voice mail from the doctor's office that I hadn't returned yet).  Hopefully, this one will work as well (and it's cheap!  $24).

• Love 5

Count me with those of you who are driven crazy by low bass. I cannot stand just hearing the low thuds and no music. It is so annoying. 

Today's noise pollution complaint: Someone moved into the duplex across the street from me and the A/C unit is so loud. This just started with these new tenants so I'm not sure why it is. The nights have been cool enough to open the window and the loud engine noise is seeping into my apartment. I've lived here 5 years and now feel like I can't open my windows because of some new person's annoying A/C unit. The worse part is that right now he has it running and he isn't even home (car's gone and lights are out.) If you know your unit is that loud, have some consideration for your neighbors and shut the damn thing off when you leave. How hard is that? 

• Love 3

My own HVAC is so loud when it runs (inside) that I can't hear the TV. The inside machinery is housed in a closet next to my bedroom. I either have to turn up the TV (when my upstairs neighbor isn't home) or pause what I'm watching (when she is home) until the air-blowing cycle stops.

I used to have several of the outside units just a few feet from my old bedroom windows in my former condo. It wasn't bad when the windows were closed, but yeah, when I opened the windows, the HVAC noise was loud. I rarely opened the windows at night because I lived on the ground floor and feared a break-in, and my late cats would jump in and out of the windows, scaring me all night.

Now I'm too scared to open my bedroom window more than a couple inches because when the cats are playing, Little Girl runs at top speed through the apartment and I guess "home base" is the window seat. She slams into the window and I pray that the shitty construction holds.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

So here is a story from back in the day (90's)when I worked for a vary corporate company that had a "5 dollar dress free Friday sticker donation program for 3 months during the Summer.

I figured that crap out real quick and paid for one Friday and then peeled the sticker off ( not dated) and pasted in on me for the rest of the Fridays for the next few months.(the idiots in charge did not collect them at the end of shifts on Friday)

You hired me because I was smart right?

I contribute to the charities I wish to and write it off on my taxes you dumb dolts!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 4/29/2019 at 2:10 PM, bilgistic said:

Ugh, this reminded me of my former job. EVERY FRIDAY, if you wanted to wear jeans, you had to donate $5 to the company's "charity".

On 4/30/2019 at 12:49 AM, mbaywife123 said:

I contribute to the charities I wish to and write it off on my taxes you dumb dolts!

My current job does this, for $2 but still, and I know what charity the money goes to because every year my company does a big campaign to encourage giving to it. When I first started here, over 20 years ago (yikes I'm old!!), they used put on the donation card what they thought you should give BASED ON YOUR PAY. If that didn't smack of invasion of privacy. Back then I was only making enough to cover daycare for my child, there was no extra money to give away and I made it very clear that I was not willing to do so. I had to talk to my boss, and then my boss' boss in order to decline. It left a bitter taste. Anyway, the did away with that practice after getting many complaints but they still do the ask every year, and every year I decline. I give my money directly to the charity of my choice, I don't need an intermediary to do it for me. As far as the $2 to wear jeans, nope, not doing it.

• Love 5

That's such a strange concept to me having to pay money to wear jeans to work.  The company I work for is very casual and some people wear jeans 5 days a week.  Only if an important client is coming in will they send an email asking everyone to look nice and then most of the time people ignore that.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

My current job does this, for $2 but still, and I know what charity the money goes to because every year my company does a big campaign to encourage giving to it. When I first started here, over 20 years ago (yikes I'm old!!), they used put on the donation card what they thought you should give BASED ON YOUR PAY. If that didn't smack of invasion of privacy. Back then I was only making enough to cover daycare for my child, there was no extra money to give away and I made it very clear that I was not willing to do so. I had to talk to my boss, and then my boss' boss in order to decline. It left a bitter taste. Anyway, the did away with that practice after getting many complaints but they still do the ask every year, and every year I decline. I give my money directly to the charity of my choice, I don't need an intermediary to do it for me. As far as the $2 to wear jeans, nope, not doing it.

In 2002-2003, I worked at the local branch of the non-profit that distributes funds to smaller non-profits/human services organizations. For the annual fund drive, we were given a "suggested" donation amount based on our salaries, and it was something ludicrous like 10% gross. Every week during the campaign period, they also sent an email that said who in our company hadn't yet confirmed their donation! The donations were withdrawn from our paychecks. You just had to accept that you were paid less than you were "paid".

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

Back in the day, I worked for a small city government (jeans permissible, since my office was in the garage), and they had a United Way campaign every year.  They also sent out donation sheets, and supervisors were in charge of "compliance" - they actually had a competition where the managers who achieved 100% compliance within their department got a bonus.  I tore up my sheet, and politely refused to donate even a token amount when pressured by my supervisor.  He then said he'd make a donation in my name.  I told him that if he dared to do that, I'd report him to Human Resources and contact the local press with my story.  He resented me before this all went down (my capabilities and knowledge had inadvertently exposed his inadequacies), so this just gave him another excuse to hate me.  I didn't care - United Way got not one penny from me.  Nor did any charity that was not of my own choosing.

Bonus points - I outlasted the fucker.  Downside - I got a supervisor who was even worse!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Bonus points - I outlasted the fucker.  Downside - I got a supervisor who was even worse!

Roller coaster anecdote WQ!

I can't believe shit like this goes on. If companies want to be charitable, they can goddamned well set up an employee match program. Let's see them throw in 10% of my salary.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

Plus, many CEOs/high-ranking executives, particularly in public companies, are given a certain amount of pay above their actual (already incredibly overblown) salary that is specifically earmarked for charity.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
(edited)

I am fed up with content makers -- specifically podcasters in this peeve -- whinging and crybabying about fans sending them corrections. "Internet pedantry" or not, do they seriously want their mistakes to go unchallenged? 

Same with getting their feelings hurt by criticism and then talking about their feelings being hurt. They crave the promotional and outreach possibilities offered by social media but none of the pushback.

Just grow up.

I admittedly have no idea what's it's like to be in their shoes and don't even have SM accounts myself, but wouldn't the benefits of doing something they enjoy, expressing their creativity, getting paid, etc. maybe make up for people sending them "Actually..." notes?

I stopped listening to two podcasts recently because the amount of thin-skinned "Please don't @ us" comments were so aggravating.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I am fed up with content makers -- specifically podcasters in this peeve -- whinging and crybabying about fans sending them corrections. "Internet pedantry" or not, do they seriously want their mistakes to go unchallenged? 

I cannot imagine publishing or broadcasting something erroneous and not wanting that mistake brought to my attention.  I wouldn't want to make the same error again, and I would want to correct any written work for subsequent readers. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

I stopped listening to two podcasts recently because the amount of thin-skinned "Please don't @ us" comments were so aggravating. 

I hate when I see someone on SM (either FB or IG) posting something that is bound to get people talking (ex: "I like Taylor Swift over Beyonce" or " I think Kim K will be an outstanding lawyer" ) and then adds "Don't @ me. This is is not up for debate!".  Then why even post it in the first place. So annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Last night I ordered short ribs, which came with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, so I specified no potatoes and asked what the vegetables were.  The answer was asparagus, which is one of my favorites, so I asked for extra of that in place of the potatoes and was quite happy.  It turned out the vegetables were asparagus and carrots, and if the server had told me that, I could have told him to hold the carrots (they're fine raw, but I don't like them cooked).  My friend got the same dish (with the potatoes) and she doesn't like cooked carrots, either, so that was four carrots wasted.  Grrr.

We weren't expecting much from the food - and, indeed, the short ribs were terrible, although our appetizer and dessert were good - because this is a restaurant infamous for its great view but subpar food (at prices concomitant with the view), but we were using a comp card; not being out any of our own money if our low expectations were met is why we were willing to give it a try.  So I wound up more disappointed about wasted carrots than bad short ribs, because they could have been easily avoided had my question been properly answered.  Food waste is a major problem, and I don't like unwittingly adding to it.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Food waste is a major problem, and I don't like unwittingly adding to it.

I sometimes get an eyeroll or other slight sign of exasperation from a server when I order a hamburger without the bun or no fries. I guess they're put out by having to write up a custom ticket? (Sub peeve: sorry for making you do your job.)

I'm not trying to be a demanding jerk of a customer, I'm simply diabetic. It's easy for me to just not eat the offending carb-y item, but why not make a better choice to start with?

I've never worked as a server so maybe others can explain why it's a problem for the kitchen.

(I also won't eat cooked carrots.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I've never worked as a server so maybe others can explain why it's a problem for the kitchen.

It's not a problem for the kitchen.  Less food on the plate is less work.  I can't imagine why you're getting eyerolls for that unless they're judging you.  Maybe they think you should be ordering something different if you're health-conscious, or maybe they think you're trying to be trendy by being gluten-free.  Not defending the eyreolls, just trying to come up with a reasonable solution for them. Writing down "No bun, no fries" is not that much work either.

• Love 3
(edited)

Aw, I love cooked carrots, esp. with a little soy sauce. Send them my way!

I've got a conundrum. How do you break up with your hairstylist? In the past it's been natural--I've moved or they did or the salon closed. I've been with my current stylist for 5 years now and it's gotten to the point where I dread going. It's almost like she thinks she "owns" my hair now. She won't add highlights or lighten it the way I want because it might damage my hair; I added a few extensions last year (with another girl) and she gets all judgy about them and refuses to color them because she "doesn't do extensions". Today she kept saying she saw damage in areas where I don't even have extensions  yet she was positive they were the cause. Shes a cool girl but over the years she's just gotten more negative in general and it's exhausting. But I have no idea how to leave without hurting her feelings. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, emma675 said:

How do you break up with your hairstylist?

Stop utilizing her services.

Maybe others have a much different relationship with theirs than I do with mine and can help you better, but if I was no longer happy with her work, I'd start paying someone else to do the job instead; we're not friends or romantic partners, so no need for a break-up conversation.  I can see it being awkward if you wanted to start going to a different stylist in the same salon, but otherwise you're just no longer calling her for appointments and life rolls on for both of you.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I've got a conundrum. How do you break up with your hairstylist? In the past it's been natural--I've moved or they did or the salon closed. I've been with my current stylist for 5 years now and it's gotten to the point where I dread going. It's almost like she thinks she "owns" my hair now. She won't add highlights or lighten it the way I want because it might damage my hair; I added a few extensions last year (with another girl) and she gets all judgy about them and refuses to color them because she "doesn't do extensions". Today she kept saying she saw damage in areas where I don't even have extensions  yet she was positive they were the cause. Shes a cool girl but over the years she's just gotten more negative in general and it's exhausting. But I have no idea how to leave without hurting her feelings. 

Just stop going to her. If you feel awkward about not making the next appointment, make one, then a couple of days before call & cancel due to a "family emergency". Then never make another one.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, emma675 said:

It definitely sounds like you need to move on. I agree that you just need to stop making appointments with her.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, emma675 said:

Soy sauce, eh? I love cooked carrots too, usually with sage and (vegan) butter. But I'll be trying the soy sauce!

Have you found a stylist you like better? If you feel like you should explain to your stylist why you're leaving, you can just tell her you've found someone you feel you "click" with better. If she wants more explanation, you can give her the examples you posted here. I'm sure she'll say she's just looking out for your hair. If she does, you can thank her for that concern then repeat that you are going to move on to this new stylist. 

I have a friend that had a great stylist - her hair was always cut so perfectly! But because her stylist was so good she could charge more and more. Eventually my friend had to "break up" with her. But it was easier for her because the issue was money and that was something her stylist could understand. Stylist was also able to recommend someone else in the salon who was good, but less expensive. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've got a conundrum. How do you break up with your hairstylist?

Just make sure you don't go to the hairstylist's niece and get your hair cut in her apartment  and then hide in the closet when your hairstylist shows up to visit her niece.😉  

(Seinfeld reference)

• LOL 6
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Last night I ordered short ribs, which came with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables, so I specified no potatoes and asked what the vegetables were.  The answer was asparagus, which is one of my favorites, so I asked for extra of that in place of the potatoes and was quite happy.  It turned out the vegetables were asparagus and carrots, and if the server had told me that, I could have told him to hold the carrots (they're fine raw, but I don't like them cooked).  My friend got the same dish (with the potatoes) and she doesn't like cooked carrots, either, so that was four carrots wasted.  Grrr.

We weren't expecting much from the food - and, indeed, the short ribs were terrible, although our appetizer and dessert were good - because this is a restaurant infamous for its great view but subpar food (at prices concomitant with the view), but we were using a comp card; not being out any of our own money if our low expectations were met is why we were willing to give it a try.  So I wound up more disappointed about wasted carrots than bad short ribs, because they could have been easily avoided had my question been properly answered.  Food waste is a major problem, and I don't like unwittingly adding to it.

You acknowledge food waste to be a problem, so why go to this place at all?  Give the card to someone else.  Order food to go and give it to the homeless guy on the corner who probably won't be picky about carrots.  Grrr.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

You acknowledge food waste to be a problem, so why go to this place at all?  Give the card to someone else.  Order food to go and give it to the homeless guy on the corner who probably won't be picky about carrots.  Grrr.

Why go?  That's easy - because reviews were mixed so we wanted to give it a shot, and my friend having the comp card - which, not that it changes anything, is not transferable; it's a benefit provided by her employer - was the perfect way to try it.  Our appetizer and salads had been fine, so we were hoping for the same with the short ribs, which - like everything else - had mixed reviews.

And if you've got homeless folks in your neighborhood who'd be happy to receive four cooked carrots, cooled to room temperature, at 11:00 at night, by all means, you should get a doggy bag and bless them with it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't know about you, @Bastet, but while my ESP is fairly well tuned, I don't always know how things will turn out before I try them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, with Miss Cleo dead, I had no one to call to prognosticate my entrée experience for me, so I had to go ahead and order on my own.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

I find asparagus and carrots a weird combo anyway. Steamed veg mix for sure, but asparagus and carrots?  Hard pass all day. 

To the stylist yes please just leave. I regrettably informed mine I was leaving and it turned into her having wine fueled texts about why I shouldn’t go. I did it bc someone told me it’s good so they learn why people leave but that was terrible advice. Just make a clean break and don’t look back. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 5

I have the opposite problem. Every time I find a hairstylist I like, they disappear on me for one reason or another. When I was in college and for several years after, I saw a woman who decided to quit doing hair and go into restaurant management. There was one that kept salon-hopping, and wouldn't keep me updated with where she went. One I loved got pregnant and had a difficult pregnancy, so she couldn't work. We lost touch.

I started seeing my current hairstylist several years ago when I was out of work and needed my hair done. I looked on Craigslist for hair modeling and saw her ad. She was newly graduated from cosmetology school (she's my age, though) and needed a head on which to demonstrate that she had mastered highlighting techniques. I had to pay only $20 for materials and the tip. She's great, and we've become close. I kept seeing her. She has since left the salon and hasn't gone to another one. I started going to her apartment or she'd come to mine to do my hair.

She and her husband (massage therapist) eventually had to move about an hour away to their parents' places (same city)...long story. She still hasn't gotten back into a salon, but is waiting tables to try to save money. I go to her (she came to me for a while) to get my hair done and she cuts me a huge deal because I'm struggling. I love her, and we laugh a lot when we're together. I'm holding on for those reasons and because it's a pain in the ass to find someone new and it's pretty expensive to get color and cut here. I'm just worried she's going to give up doing hair soon.

• Love 2
(edited)

Up until 2 years ago I only got my haircut about every 2 -3 years. I’d grow it out and donate it to Pantene. I never colored it either. Well, after doing that for 15 years I decided I wanted cute hair. So I go to the best stylist in town and get highlights now. He’s pricey as hell but I only get my haircut twice a year and he’s totally worth the money. Fast forward to a few months ago and he sends out an email to let everyone know that he’s no longer offering color services because of the health risks to him. I get it. I barely have time for a haircut as it is and now he expects me to schedule with someone completely different just for color. Unfortunately that means I need a new hairdresser. I’m not going to tell him. I’ll just never go there again. 

My husband works in the service industry and had a job at a brand new hair salon in a swanky place downtown. He knew of my hairdresser situation and offered a barter. His services for free haircuts/color for me until they are even which should be about 5 appointments. I checked her out online and talked to her and it seems like this will be a good fit. My first appointment is Thursday.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 4