Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard of such a thing until the recent post, and I've been sitting here trying to figure out how the hell that even works. 

In 2011, we had a foot of snow on the ground - we usually don't have snow in October - and other parts of the state had up to two feet.  Power lines and trees were down in some places and footing was bad; it just wasn't a good night for anyone to go out.  Halloween was a Monday that year, and in my neck of the woods, it was just sort of cancelled by default. By the time people were done shoveling and cleaning up, they weren't in a Halloween mood (at least that was the case in my neighborhood).  The festivities weren't moved to the weekend prior because the storm happening on Saturday and Sunday. 

This year heavy rain and high winds (gusts to 40-50 mph) were forecast; the rain was done early, but the wind was strong enough to blow two pumpkins off our porch.  Most cities and towns left trick-or-treating up to the individuals since it's not a municipally-planned event, but in some "destination" places where the police block off some streets because of the crowds they draw, they did move the observation of Halloween to last night.  (Judging by the news coverage, they got a great turnout.) 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard of such a thing until the recent post, and I've been sitting here trying to figure out how the hell that even works. 

They announce it on the radio stations, put in the papers, and announce it in all the schools, and put it on the town website, etc.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2019 at 7:52 PM, BooksRule said:

Peeve:  People who call and start talking to you in the middle of the conversation.  I work with a woman who does this a lot.  She will call and when I pick up and say 'hello?', she'll say something like '...what should we do if we don't have the serial number for the item? Do you think they'll accept the order without it?'  And, I'll say 'what are you talking about?'  It will turn out that she is talking about something we discussed earlier in the day or even another day. It's like she's thinking of what she wants to say and when I answer the phone she just starts talking wherever her silent mental conversation was at the time. She doesn't give the context of what she wants me to discuss with her. She will also keep talking when you are trying to answer a question that she asked.  I've had to actually say (politely) 'wait a minute, wait a minute' and then say what I need to say.  She is very sweet, but it's exhausting to talk to her. 

My dad does that all the time. Sometimes it's the middle of a conversation we never even started at any point, and yet somehow he expects you to know what he's talking about.  It is exhausting.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, harrie said:

Most cities and towns left trick-or-treating up to the individuals since it's not a municipally-planned event, but in some "destination" places where the police block off some streets because of the crowds they draw, they did move the observation of Halloween to last night.  (Judging by the news coverage, they got a great turnout.) 

That makes sense, then - it happening where there's an official event.  It sounded like a city saying "You will go trick-or-treating another night" just to the general public, and that doesn't work. 

• Love 2

People commenting on my appearance. How do they not get it’s rude? 

I’ve been going to this nail salon awhile, and this one manicurist is typically sweet and calls me beautiful all the time. But lately she’s also been critical. If I go in to get my nails done, don’t insist that you should do my eyebrows. I’ve been trying to grow them out and know they look awkward. If my hair is damaged, don’t think I don’t know it’s the result of my going blonde and tell me to stop lightening my hair. I like to relax and not think of anything during mani pedi time, not be self conscious of my flaws that I already feel bad about. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 9
On 11/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, RealHousewife said:

People commenting on my appearance. How do they not get it’s rude? 

I’ve been going to this nail salon awhile, and this one manicurist is typically sweet and calls me beautiful all the time. But lately she’s also been critical. If I go in to get my nails done, don’t insist that you should do my eyebrows. I’ve been trying to grow them out and know they look awkward. If my hair is damaged, don’t think I don’t know it’s the result of my going blonde and tell me to stop lightning my hair. I like to relax and not think of anything during mani pedi time, not be self conscious of my flaws that I already feel bad about. 

Hear! Hear! And a big ol' Amen.

• Love 2
On 10/31/2019 at 6:38 AM, ParadoxLost said:

Is there a bah hum bug for Halloween?

There should be a rule that Halloween has to move to the nearest Friday or Saturday night.

I've had a crap week at work.  I'm tired.  The last thing I want to do on a Thursday night is answer the door every three minutes when I have to go back to work again the next day.

Doesn't work.  The mayor of Montreal moved Halloween to November 1 due to weather and apparently, kids still went out on October 31. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2019 at 3:38 AM, ParadoxLost said:

Is there a bah hum bug for Halloween?

There should be a rule that Halloween has to move to the nearest Friday or Saturday night.

I've had a crap week at work.  I'm tired.  The last thing I want to do on a Thursday night is answer the door every three minutes when I have to go back to work again the next day.

Why answer the door?  Turn the porch light off and retreat to your bedroom.

• Love 7

Sighs…..

Don’t get me wrong; like Martin says, I love the kids.  But when these little muhfuckas are kicking your leg on the bus, that's a whole other story!

Parents, if you have a rambunctious child on the bus keep a hold of them!  I had this fat fuck of a woman (and I’m fat too so shut it judgers!) give me the finger because I had the nerve to tell her to watch her kid.  All she had to do was put the brat in her father’s lap since hers was obviously too full to hold the kid.

• Love 4

I stopped doing the Halloween thing the year my little princess got shoved out of the way by teenagers at someone's door.  After that, I seeded the back yard like an Easter egg hunt and let her pick her candy when she got home from school, and kept the lights off and the house dark until the coast was clear.

Now I'm way old and live in a retirement community, so the little brats don't come here.

• Love 1

The site upgrade that removed the second line from the "Next Unread Topic" feature.  Without knowing what that next unread topic is (which was included in the former second line), I have no idea if it will take me to a Spoilers page when I'm reading a multi-topic forum.

Petty?  Hell, yes, I am!  I've avoided spoilers forever, and now I have to take extra steps to avoid accidentally landing on one.  :~(

• Love 10

One would imagine that tomorrow's forecast of 71 degrees with 15% chance of rain would mean a lovely Fall day. But no. It's central Florida so there's that pesky 96% humidity.

Hopefully I'll be able to turn off the A/C for Thanksgiving.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Isle Of Why said:

Persnickety criticism of TV children and parenting, especially on sitcoms.

Don't really care to hear how you were raised or how you're raising your own kids compared to fictional characters.

100% agree. It's usually a sitcom, too, when people are complaining about it. If the children are 100% well-behaved and/or half the episode is taken up with time-outs, yelling, and the kid grounded, it's not going to be very funny.

• Love 4

Since my husband would be out & I had recently received shots for back pain, I put the light on and put out a bin of 200+ candies with a sign that said "Happy Halloween! Please take 3 pieces".  Well, at 6:21 PM when the trick or treaters started in our 'hood, I heard squeals and shouts on our front stoop.  Looked out the door after they left and lots of candies were all over the stoop. Cleaned it up and went back inside. One hour later the doorbell rang...then rang again!  I waited a while, opened the door and all the candies were gone. We did not have that many kids out and about as we had tornado warnings, wind, and slight drizzle.  So much for the honor system.  I guess that sweet little boy, who put his own candies in that empty bin on someone's front porch, doesn't live in my neighbood 😦

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Since my husband would be out & I had recently received shots for back pain, I put the light on and put out a bin of 200+ candies with a sign that said "Happy Halloween! Please take 3 pieces".  Well, at 6:21 PM when the trick or treaters started in our 'hood, I heard squeals and shouts on our front stoop.  Looked out the door after they left and lots of candies were all over the stoop. Cleaned it up and went back inside. One hour later the doorbell rang...then rang again!  I waited a while, opened the door and all the candies were gone. We did not have that many kids out and about as we had tornado warnings, wind, and slight drizzle.  So much for the honor system.  I guess that sweet little boy, who put his own candies in that empty bin on someone's front porch, doesn't live in my neighbood 😦

I would never expect the honor system to work in such a situation. I absolutely believe that there are some children who would obey the instruction.  Maybe possible even more than half.  But, it just takes one to swoop up all the candy.

My grandmother did that once and was complainign that all the candy got stolen and I was like, "well, what did you expect?"  But, it was also kind of funny, because she waited until the first trick-or-treater came to the door and then told him the rules about one candy apiece and asked him to spread the word.  I really don't know how she thought that was going to work.  That kid had trick-or-treating to do.  He was not going to hang out by her driveway all night and tell everyone to just take one piece of candy.  Nor was he probably going to greet everyone he saw and say, "just take one piece of candy at the the blue house on the corner."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Posters who don't check their posts for grammatical/spelling errors before hitting send.  Or don't know basic rules of grammar.  Please read some actual literature and not just the internet.  

"His usual types imho, are vapid and often with him,  for the wrong reasons.

So . perhaps she is what he needs, not the other way around "

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I would never expect the honor system to work in such a situation. I absolutely believe that there are some children who would obey the instruction.  Maybe possible even more than half.  But, it just takes one to swoop up all the candy.

My husband said he saw some older kids (12 or 13-ish) when he was leaving our section so maybe they were the culprits.  No more bowls on the front stoop 😎

• Love 2

We must either have the best kids ever that come to our neighborhood or almost no kids coming because we put out a bowl full of candy when we take our son out, and when we get back an hour or hour and a half later, it's at least half full. It's possibly some of both. I know we do have trick-or-treaters because I see them out.

I did find a piece of candy in the yard a day later, but I suspect it fell out of some child's overful bucket (possibly my child's overfull bucket).

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I used to do a lot of walking until my health soured.  In any case, when I used to walk, I used to see a lot of candy on the ground that the Trick or Treaters must have dropped.

During the 4th of July, there used to be a lot of old spent fireworks junk all over the place too.

I hope they left the bowl.  It is one thing for all of the candy to be gone.  It would be even worse if they took the bowl the candy was in.

I think they did leave the bowl.  

• Love 1

Last Friday I took the day off work and drove 40 miles to the DMV to renew my license.  I got a temp paper license with my picture on it and was told I would get my permanent license within 10 day. It came today.  Great.  Except for the fact that it has someone else's picture on it.  which means I need to find time to run up to the DMV again this week, my busiest week of the month at work.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Last Friday I took the day off work and drove 40 miles to the DMV to renew my license.  I got a temp paper license with my picture on it and was told I would get my permanent license within 10 day. It came today.  Great.  Except for the fact that it has someone else's picture on it.  which means I need to find time to run up to the DMV again this week, my busiest week of the month at work.

Strange that they don't hand you the permanent license while you're there. I think every state I've lived in has done that. Gosh...40 miles to the DMV? 😰

22 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Strange that they don't hand you the permanent license while you're there. I think every state I've lived in has done that. Gosh...40 miles to the DMV? 😰

They changed their process this year to make the license more secure or whatever.  Rural state.  There's actually one closer, but it's only open 2 days a week, MOnday and Tuesday, My latter part of the week is usually slower than the first part.  And this week because of Veteran's Day it's only open on Tuesday.  And it's supposed to snow and I don't really know how badly yet.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:07 AM, topanga said:

ME: (nervously) Start with my last name or my first name? 

CS: Last name! (or FIRST name, depending on the company.)

But that's why I asked in the first place. I didn't want to give you the information in the wrong order and mess you up. 

--OR--

CS: *Sigh* Account number?

ME: (nervously) Do you need the letters in front of the numbers?

CS: Yes!! (Or "No!! Just the numbers after the zero!")

--And Then, 

CS: Now what did you need again? 

And of course I'll probably have to go through all of it again when I get transferred to another department. 

I try to be a good customer, I really do. And know the customer service reps have to do their spiel hundreds of times a day. But the first time I call, I don't know your company's protocol. Sorry!

If they want last or first, they’ll type as needed or direct you that way if it’s truly necessary.  If the characters beginning of an account number are meaningless to the rep they’ll not let you know and just type what matters.  You’re being almost too  accommodating,  Just say I’m Kelly Smith and account number is Qse157 when asked.   If it really matters they should prompt you (last 4 of acct-# listed under address eg) but if not there’s no expectation you should know a system.  They often  have to do all of that validation process before determining if they can even help you- so save details of issue until asked  to make sure you’re sent to correct dept  

it’s not the same to the previous Rock Wilder etc but similar. I read a posting (not here) where someone said in disgust to an unjust situation  “it really is a doggie doggie world” and that has never sounded so innocent. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Strange that they don't hand you the permanent license while you're there. I think every state I've lived in has done that. Gosh...40 miles to the DMV?

In my state, they changed it because there was a sting operation and the cops found actual license and ID equipment in the house - to make authentic fake IDs for criminals.  How the equipment got there was never explained (likely an inside job from an employee), so now when we have to renew our licenses, we have to wait for it to be sent in the mail.  

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, magicdog said:

In my state, they changed it because there was a sting operation and the cops found actual license and ID equipment in the house - to make authentic fake IDs for criminals.  How the equipment got there was never explained (likely an inside job from an employee), so now when we have to renew our licenses, we have to wait for it to be sent in the mail.  

I hear what you're saying, but I don't understand how not making your license then and there at the DMV (and I had to go through the same thing the last few times I got a license, in two different states) prevents crooks from stealing fake DL equipment.  After all, the equipment that eventually makes your license is somewhere, isn't it?  It's not in Fort Knox, is it?

13 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

“it really is a doggie doggie world”

I haven't heard that phrase.  I know "dog-eat-dog," which sounds pretty menacing.  "Doggie doggie" makes me want to go find a MilkBone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

“it really is a doggie doggie world”

More like, "Clown World" IMO.

I don't understand how not making your license then and there at the DMV (and I had to go through the same thing the last few times I got a license, in two different states) prevents crooks from stealing fake DL equipment.  After all, the equipment that eventually makes your license is somewhere, isn't it?  It's not in Fort Knox, is it?

That's the excuse they gave us.  I was present when the head of the NV DMV announced they were giving driver's licenses to illegals because "it would make them drive better".  So, yeah, it's BS.

Edited by magicdog
18 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I was present when the head of the NV DMV announced they were giving driver's licenses to illegals because "it would make them drive better".  So, yeah, it's BS.

Because that works so well for everyone else.

• LOL 2
On 11/9/2019 at 5:47 PM, annzeepark914 said:

When I needed a replacement license in NY about 8 years ago, they gave me a temp in the office, and mailed the regular license. When I got around to getting my NC license 5 years ago, it was the same, I got a temp that day in the office, and the permanent one in the mail.

I am so annoyed with myself.  I've been so busy and stressed I haven't yet advertised my old car for sale (peeve number one, because that's money I've paid out insuring both cars and money I've not taken in from the sale), so it's been sitting, covered, in my driveway, off to the side, basically between the house and the garage, so not visible from the street.  (But not hidden from rats, squirrels, and such.)

I know damn well a car shouldn't sit for too long, and kept meaning to drive it, but it's a pain to uncover it, maneuver it out of its spot, and put the cover back on, so I was always too tired/annoyed to do it, and kept thinking I'd advertise it any day now and thus take it on test drives, and lost track of how long it had been.

Tomorrow morning, I'm having firewood delivered, so I finally have to move the car as that's where he's going to unload the half cord of wood (he can't stack it for me this year, so I'll get my exercise moving it, which is another peeve).  After an exhausting week, I spent the night at my parents' house last night to cat sit, they got home early afternoon today, I stayed there to watch the first half of the Rams game, came home at halftime, and headed out to move the car, looking forward to coming back in and watching the second half.

You guessed it - dead as a doornail.  I started calculating how long it had actually been sitting, got really irritated with myself, and abandoned that line of thought in favor of hooking up the jumper cables to my other car.  As soon as I grounded the negative, the horn on my dead car started honking; the theft deterrent system was doing its thing and wouldn't shut off.  I don't have time/mental energy for this shit; I just need to get the car started and out of the way.  So I looked up the fuse diagram to see which fuse is for the horn, yanked that out, hooked up the jumper cables again, got the car started, drove it around a while, and parked it out front.

So it's out of the way, and when I get it back in position I will charge the battery, put the fuse back in, and see if the anti-theft system is still somehow stuck in "on" mode or if resetting everything did the trick.  I also need to get under the car and make sure nothing has been gnawing on wires or hoses (everything looks fine under the hood from above).  And then, once I know it's indeed still in great condition, I need to get the damn thing sold and out of my life.  I am so irritated I haven't done that already, and now caused myself an additional problem because of it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, magicdog said:

I don't understand how not making your license then and there at the DMV (and I had to go through the same thing the last few times I got a license, in two different states) prevents crooks from stealing fake DL equipment.  After all, the equipment that eventually makes your license is somewhere, isn't it?  It's not in Fort Knox, is it?

That's the excuse they gave us.  I was present when the head of the NV DMV announced they were giving driver's licenses to illegals because "it would make them drive better".  So, yeah, it's BS.

Undocumented immigrants do not receive a drivers license in Nevada, they receive a driver authorization card.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:32 AM, magicdog said:

This is what my State's MVA said back when I had to renew in 2017. That's when they changed the look of the License with all these "security" features, but the color is too septia and makes it look like a mug shot. Anyhoo, I was told to come in, get my picture taken and they would mail me my new license, and take my old one.

Well, I was recovering from operation (remember the hemorrhage episode?) and wouldn't you know it, they took my picture, gave me my new license, and didn't take my old one! I wonder if Corporate sends these "new requirements" to the actual peons who work at the MVA.

And this summer I got an email about how when I got my "new" license and provided the information that was needed, I am required by law to bring in documents PROVING my citizenship--you know, like my birth certificate, two statements, like something from my bank and the IRS, proving my residence, and what have you. Since my mom uses my address for stuff, and for her license, but lives in India, what can she bring? And she's not here right now, and we've been given until November 18 to do this. Whatever.

First, she IS a U.S. Citizen, but naturalized. Worse comes to worst on her next visit, I'll just tell her to get herself an international license, which my dad got, so they could drive my car. There were threats about if they didn't do this, their car wouldn't get registration renewal (HAH! They don't HAVE A CAR), or the license wouldn't get renewed. Big Whoop. Like I said, My mum will just get an international one.

I live in MD, and this just SCREAMS of having to "provide 'your papers'" to prove you're a U.S. Citizen and are here legally. 

So being the petty person I am, I'm waiting until the very last minute. I'm going this Saturday to "prove" I'm legal. Because they sure as hell didn't ask for these documents when I had to renew and get the new fucking license.

When I called and told them my mom was out of the country and wouldn't be here in time, I was told by a bored, couldn't care less person, that she should do it as soon as possible.

Taking proof of your residence (recent bank statement, water bill) plus birth certificate, is for the new license with the star on it. I sure wish my state had started this in 2018 when I had to renew my license (& my picture, for once, looks so nice, sheesh!!) But, no...they started this program in 2019. So now I have to go through the whole thing again before October 2020 (well, I can always use my passport at the airport, but still) 😫

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Taking proof of your residence (recent bank statement, water bill) plus birth certificate, is for the new license with the star on it.

I wish I'd known about that when I moved back to AZ last year and got a license.  I can easily pull up .pdf copies of those documents on my phone, but they wouldn't accept those, just paper copies.  So I asked if I could get the regular license now and come back later to get it upgraded, and they said no.  If I wanted the superspecial license, I would have to do it all at once, so I would have to go home, get the paperwork, and come back.  I decided against it since I have a passport anyway.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

I wish I'd known about that when I moved back to AZ last year and got a license.  I can easily pull up .pdf copies of those documents on my phone, but they wouldn't accept those, just paper copies.  So I asked if I could get the regular license now and come back later to get it upgraded, and they said no.  If I wanted the superspecial license, I would have to do it all at once, so I would have to go home, get the paperwork, and come back.  I decided against it since I have a passport anyway.

I don't think anyone had a choice about getting the upgraded license. It was changed because additional security measures were added to make it difficult for forgers. At least that's what I was told. I was perfectly happy with the old one I had. This new "ID REQUIRED" or whatever it's called is a new addition--I mean, MVA made the qualifier that while I "provided" blah, blah, blah, I'm REQUIRED to also now show them my proof of birth and two copies of bank/IRS statements, in order to "COMPLETE" whatever. Why didn't they just ask for this stuff when I was coming up for renewal? It's all moot at this point; no point in complaining about it.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think anyone had a choice about getting the upgraded license.

Must be an individual state thing.  I didn't really care because I've always used my passport as my primary ID.  Oddly, the one place that wouldn't accept my passport was the pharmacy, when I was picking up a controlled substance.  They insisted only a state ID would do.  To me, a driver's license should mostly be the thing that proves you're licensed to drive.

• Love 3

When I renewed my (CA) license last year, I had a choice - another regular license, or the "real ID" that will be accepted for air travel.  I don't want to have to take my passport on domestic trips, so I got the latter.  Especially because I'd have to go in either way, as the time had rolled around where I had to renew in person rather than online/via mail. 

It was when DMV offices across the state didn't have appointments available for months out, so one morning just before my birthday I had to drag my ass out of bed and wait in line outside the local office for it to open.  Brutal as that was, it was worth it, because I was out of there about an hour later, while whenever I drove by it during the day, the non-appointment line was wrapped around the block.

Then CA changed the regulations, requiring an additional proof of residency, so those of us who'd received the new ID under the old regulations had to bring ourselves into compliance with the new ones, but I just had to sign and return something they mailed to me (it was a little more involved if you'd changed addresses in the interim).

So, for the clusterfuck it was made out to be, it wasn't actually that bad.

I'm trying to motivate myself to start stacking firewood, but am taking a web-surfing break first.  I did get the other stuff done in the yard that I'd wanted to do first, so I'm still mostly on track.  The delivery person was supposed to arrive between 9:00 and 11:00, so I was really hoping for 11:00, but of course he woke me up at 8:45 to say he was about half an hour out.  It's better, really, as I want to be finished up to go for a walk with a friend at 4:00 and then be home for Monday Night Football, but it's just unfortunate timing that today needed to be the day, because I really would have liked sleeping in, even more than normal.

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Undocumented immigrants

Thank you for referring to them properly.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think anyone had a choice about getting the upgraded license. It was changed because additional security measures were added to make it difficult for forgers. At least that's what I was told. I was perfectly happy with the old one I had. This new "ID REQUIRED" or whatever it's called is a new addition--I mean, MVA made the qualifier that while I "provided" blah, blah, blah, I'm REQUIRED to also now show them my proof of birth and two copies of bank/IRS statements, in order to "COMPLETE" whatever. Why didn't they just ask for this stuff when I was coming up for renewal? It's all moot at this point; no point in complaining about it.

I had to do the same thing this summer.  When I got my first "Real ID" licence a couple years ago, it was just like getting a regular renewal.  But since then, the Feds changed the requirements, so that's why we had to go back with the passport, SSN and proof of address (I just used my car registration and insurance since MVA has that on file anyway).   I got an appointment easily and was out of there in about 40 minutes.  I had more trouble finding parking than getting the documents scanned.  So blame it on the Feds, not Maryland (for once 🙂 )

As long as they'll still update your mom's licence whenever she's here next, it should be fine.  

Since my area got hit with 12 inches of snow from yesterday afternoon through this morning, I am once again faced with one of my biggest pet peeves:

Drivers who don't make sure to clear snow off all of their windows, headlights, brake lights & tail lights. WTH??  I saw a mini van that had only used the wipers to clear the snow of the windshield so they could only see directly in front of them!! I saw a car with the entire backside covered, the window and all of the tail lights & brake lights. Numerous cars with the headlights blocked. My god, driving in the snow is hard enough and now you have impaired your skills even more because of lack of visibility????

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
48 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Since my area got hit with 12 inches of snow from yesterday afternoon through this morning, I am once again faced with one of my biggest pet peeves:

Drivers who don't make sure to clear snow off all of their windows, headlights, brake lights & tail lights. WTH??  I saw a mini van that had only used the wipers to clear the snow of the windshield so they could only see directly in front of them!! I saw a car with the entire backside covered, the window and all of the tail lights & brake lights. Numerous cars with the headlights blocked. My god, driving in the snow is hard enough and now you have impaired your skills even more because of lack of visibility????

And don't forget the snow on top of the car that will come flying off at some point.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And don't forget the snow on top of the car that will come flying off at some point.

It's going to be 81 degrees here today, so snow is just a bad, bad memory, but I was one of those offenders.  Not only that by the time I got to my car after wrestling with shoveling the driveway (and the snowplow that invariably plowed me in right after I'd cleared everything) I was too exhausted to care how well I cleaned off my car, but when I owned a minivan, I just couldn't reach the center top of the car with my snowbrush.  So I'd be one of those where the giant boulder would come sliding down as I was driving.

• Love 3

I got my "real ID" license last year when I renewed, a had to do a fair amount of research on line to figure out exactly what to bring with me.  My husband renewed his license a few months before I did, but they didn't explain what he needed to bring, so he couldn't get the "real ID".  Starting October 1 of 2020, you'll need the Real ID to get on any airplane flight, even domestic.  Neither of us have any plans to fly in the next year, but I'm trying to persuade my husband to go the the trouble to get the new ID, since you never know when you might have to fly somewhere.  He hates standing in line, dealing with bureaucracy, even leaving the house, so it's a tough sell.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I just couldn't reach the center top of the car with my snowbrush.

I feel your pain  @meowmommy, I have a difficult time reaching the top of my Jeep*! I don't mean to shame anyone who has a physical difficulty in reaching the entirety of a large vehicle, however, your windshield, rear windshield, headlights and taillights are all reachable, and necessary for you to drive safely. 

*I'm going to invest in one of those extendable snow scrapers this year to help with this. I've had the snow slide onto my windshield one to many times....

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, ALenore said:

He hates standing in line, dealing with bureaucracy, even leaving the house, so it's a tough sell.

Ugh, me too! I moved in March, (address change) got remarried in June, (name change) and needed to upgrade to a a Real ID before the deadline. I had to bring 3 pieces of mail to confirm my address, my divorce papers and new marriage certificate to prove my name and my passport to confirm my identification. Your husband will have it easy compared to the 2 hours I spent there......

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, ALenore said:

Neither of us have any plans to fly in the next year, but I'm trying to persuade my husband to go the the trouble to get the new ID, since you never know when you might have to fly somewhere.  He hates standing in line, dealing with bureaucracy, even leaving the house, so it's a tough sell.

That sounds like me!  I loathe standing in line (partly because I have back pain easily brought on by standing in some daggone line; partly because I do not have patience...never did). And I've become like my dad--love staying home. Travel today is a real PITA, even for short distances on planes...stand in line for security, properly pack that carryon bag so they can see my make-up all laid out in a quart size bag, in some airports I have to remove my shoes (that's weird...in LA, I sailed right through while Mr. P914 had to go through tons of stuff to pass security!) and it goes on and on. Then ya gotta worry about who's going to sit next to you. Could it be that creepy guy (who was watching porn and pleasuring himself, about a year ago?) or someone with a comfort dog that likes to bite.  I'm flying to Tampa next month for a few days & am spending the extra bucks to sit in first class, aisle seat, 2nd row--close to the bathroom & close enough so the flight attendants can see me. I guess it's obvious that flying brings out the curmudgeon in me (but normally I'm really a nice person, honest!! ☺️)

• Love 4