Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Re:Pizza—I’m not vegetarian, but I do not like meat on pizza. If there’s no cheese pizza at a gathering, I might take a slice of pepperoni, but take the meat off.

When I order pizza for a group, I always ask people what they prefer or just order a variety— the CHEESE pizza always gets finished first. 

• Love 14

People who send messages in very ornate script fonts in light colors.  If you want people to read your message at least make it readable, especially as so many are using mobile devices!  I will not bother to decipher your special swirly colorful words.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 12/9/2021 at 3:37 PM, athousandclowns said:

Some Disney crap figures made in China.  Somehow I pulled it off without paying three times the value by by nagging  my kids to make lists  early. 

My daughter bought Disney crap Star Wars figures for the two boys at Disney in November.  It was the 50 th anniversary, so I told her to get a hoodie for herself and other crap she wanted for Christmas.  NOTHING left.  And, there won’t be, as all merchandise is probably ona ship off the California coast.  Bummer.  I still have my 25th Anniversary sweatshirt with zipper.

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Thanks to all you rational folks for agreeing that there should be cheese pizza at any pizza party. Motion passed and the order is now decreed.

Particularly since likes and dislikes are as varied as the people who will be eating.  I would eat pretty much any meat, but no, I don't like mushrooms or green peppers contrary to the universally held notion that everyone does.

Plain cheese would be the safest bet to offend the fewest.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Particularly since likes and dislikes are as varied as the people who will be eating.  I would eat pretty much any meat, but no, I don't like mushrooms or green peppers contrary to the universally held notion that everyone does.

Right? That seems like such a no brainer to me.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I feel your pain. As a semi-practicing Catholic, I observe Lent, which among other things means I don't eat meat on Fridays during those 40 days. I have a monthly charitable board meeting, and every year they screw up my food. Once the chairperson forgot entirely, once I missed the call-out at the bottom of the meeting request, once someone else took my special meal, and so on. And because I live in the Midwest, even the salad has bacon. 

I finally asked, why don't you just order fish (for everyone)? The chairperson said, "well, not everyone likes fish." Well, I don't like sitting down to a three-hour "lunch" meeting with no food.

Once, when I switched departments, my old department threw a carry-in for me. This time, it was Good Friday, which means no snacking, in addition to no meat. The only thing they brought that didn't have meat was an enormous cupcake. If I ate it, it would have had to be my "meal", so I took it to be polite and gave it to the receptionist on my way to McDonald's.

And this is in a VERY Catholic town, my company's founders are big supporters of the local Catholic school, etc. The concept of Lent is very well-understood here, and my department was very aware that I'm Catholic. People just don't care enough to pay attention. 

I bet whoever heads the department had an awful time at Catholic school.  It's an "in your face" attitude.  Thing is, if it was any other religion, they'd be called out and would get in trouble.  But Catholics?  Meh...who cares.  Especially in a Catholic majority town.  

On the pizza note:  Always have a cheese pizza (who doesn't like plain?) and a vegan pizza.  I like plain/Margherita myself. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Okay. All y'all just need to hire the forced-into-retirement Departmental Assistant from where I used to work. 
There was always the right amount of pizza of all the different types, even though we had a lot of turnover among employees.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Not being able to blow dry and style my hair as nice as it looks when a pro does it. I need to cut back on something so I can get more professional blowouts. 

Same here.  So I started going to Hair Cuttery just for a shampoo & styling ($26 + tip).  I don't go a lot, but if something special is going on, I make an appt. We're having some folks for dinner on the 21st...we know they're fully vaccinated.  I want to look nice (even though I'll be cooking that day) so I'm getting it washed & styled the afternoon before.  The hairdresser would love to do my color & cut but I prefer using a better salon (I let Hair Cuttery color my hair once years ago when I was in between hairdressers--the color looked like it came from a box kit). 

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Same here.  So I started going to Hair Cuttery just for a shampoo & styling ($26 + tip).  I don't go a lot, but if something special is going on, I make an appt. We're having some folks for dinner on the 21st...we know they're fully vaccinated.  I want to look nice (even though I'll be cooking that day) so I'm getting it washed & styled the afternoon before.  The hairdresser would love to do my color & cut but I prefer using a better salon (I let Hair Cuttery color my hair once years ago when I was in between hairdressers--the color looked like it came from a box kit). 

New pet peeve is that it costs around twice that where I live. Lol I’ll look around for lower prices. I think it will really help out my hair. 

• Love 1
On 12/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, RealHousewife said:

Simply being rude or aggressive. That goes for in person and online. It's not that hard to be respectful of other people. 

YES. I agree.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 3
On 12/9/2021 at 2:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

The way men value sex as the be all and end all of life should be more than happy to shell out. They will twist themselves into pretzels and practically do back flips, lying, pretending they want friendship and then fuck zoning us. If they value it so damn much, why should it be free? Nothing else is.

I get this, but my husband was nothing like this for 41-1/2 years of marriage. We had a great sex life but much more importantly we had an amazing partnership in life, including all chores and the raising of our son in a mountain cabin where we moved when I was 8 months pregnant, not knowing a soul.

So my pet peeve? We aren't raising our sons and daughters to be ready to be co-equal participants in a monogamous relationship of whatever sort. And teaching them that sex is this awesome way of communicating love and intimacy with another willing human. If we don't start doing that, we keep going in a cycle of transactional relations and resentment, eh?

• Love 8
On 12/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, peacheslatour said:

I was looking for a DVD of Wuthering Heights a few years ago. Believe it or not Amazon had it for $700.00! On a whim I checked EBay. They had it for about $30.00. Of course it's in Korean but there is a menu to scroll down that puts it into English.

Now and then Turner Classics shows it. There’s also a website that makes good copies.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Now and then Turner Classics shows it. There’s also a website that makes good copies.

Yeah, we used to have TCM but then fucking Concast took it away and want a bunch more money to reinstate it. Along with about a bajillion sports channels that I don't want. I just buy cheapo used DVD's and call it a day.

• Love 1

Our cable company used to offer TCM with their medium package (better than basic but not by much) anyway they don't anymore and you have to pay extra for it.  I really miss it but not enough to pay more for it.  

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Our cable company used to offer TCM with their medium package (better than basic but not by much) anyway they don't anymore and you have to pay extra for it.  I really miss it but not enough to pay more for it.  

Turner has had lots of old movies on lately. One was from 1945 black n white.  The girl in it was Diana Durban.  She was gorgeous.  Tall, thin blonde with beautifully styled hair.  The clothes were out of this world.  The dresses they wore were beautiful.  The were prettier then.  Now, they have boobs hanging out and short up to The Who ha.  Clothes and shoes were nicer then.  Sexy,but lady like.  My Condo pays for basic cable,Turner included and many others.  For cable, internet and landline, I only pay $136 a month from Optimum on Long Island.  Pretty good.  All sports channels too for the Mr., who hibernates in the bedroom.

• Love 4

Awww, my last job kept track of all of us on free food days — well, the office manager did. She was awesome and always made sure that allergies, diet style, and just plain dislikes were considered. Luckily, the pizza place she ordered from specialized in small personal pizzas or she may have gone insane!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just buy cheapo used DVD's and call it a day.

That's the way to go if you want to avoid the ornery video business ecosystem. Not that this will make anybody feel better about losing a channel they like, and getting stuck having to pay for it and a bunch of other stuff they don't want to get it back, but I can do the quick explanation of how Comcast and Warner caused it to happen.

When Comcast had TCM in the basic lineup, they were paying Turner a monthly fee for every home. I don't have any idea what the real rate per subscriber was, so let's just call it $0.10 a month.  Ten cents a month times 16,000,000 subs was a check to Turner for $1.6M every month, $19.2 Million annually.

Since TCM isn't that popular, Turner can't demand that it be carried in the basic package (which is what Turner does with TNT, TBS, etc.) so Comcast said, "We're moving it out of the basic package."  Turner then says, "Well, you need to put it in a tier so we have some sort of guaranteed monthly revenue. We're not letting you sell it a la carte like HBO. What tier are you going to put it in?? Comcast says, we can put it in this sports and entertainment tier with the NFL RedZone and other things that people like. There are 2,000,000 subs in that tier." Warner says, "Fine. The new price per sub for TCM is $0.60 per month."  Somebody at Comcast says in a meeting, "So we reduce our annual cost for TCM by $4,800,000, subs who really want it can still get it, and we can move on."

There was also the very likely scenario that Comcast, being connected to NBC, took into account that Peacock was launching at the time, and was perfectly okay with making it harder for its own subscribers to get at a similar library of older content that they would be offering on it's own streaming service. 

All of those numbers I used above, other than a pretty good guess of Comcast subs, are just numbers I made up to explain how it went down.  TV is expensive, and it's really hard for us to escape that fact. 

• Useful 4
28 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Same. I can find used DVD's on Amazon for like $1.99, Prime, no shipping. I don't buy very many but I do collect Film Noir and Hitchcock. The occasional British mystery. I'm fine with that.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That's the way to go if you want to avoid the ornery video business ecosystem. Not that this will make anybody feel better about losing a channel they like, and getting stuck having to pay for it and a bunch of other stuff they don't want to get it back, but I can do the quick explanation of how Comcast and Warner caused it to happen.

When Comcast had TCM in the basic lineup, they were paying Turner a monthly fee for every home. I don't have any idea what the real rate per subscriber was, so let's just call it $0.10 a month.  Ten cents a month times 16,000,000 subs was a check to Turner for $1.6M every month, $19.2 Million annually.

Since TCM isn't that popular, Turner can't demand that it be carried in the basic package (which is what Turner does with TNT, TBS, etc.) so Comcast said, "We're moving it out of the basic package."  Turner then says, "Well, you need to put it in a tier so we have some sort of guaranteed monthly revenue. We're not letting you sell it a la carte like HBO. What tier are you going to put it in?? Comcast says, we can put it in this sports and entertainment tier with the NFL RedZone and other things that people like. There are 2,000,000 subs in that tier." Warner says, "Fine. The new price per sub for TCM is $0.60 per month."  Somebody at Comcast says in a meeting, "So we reduce our annual cost for TCM by $4,800,000, subs who really want it can still get it, and we can move on."

There was also the very likely scenario that Comcast, being connected to NBC, took into account that Peacock was launching at the time, and was perfectly okay with making it harder for its own subscribers to get at a similar library of older content that they would be offering on it's own streaming service. 

All of those numbers I used above, other than a pretty good guess of Comcast subs, are just numbers I made up to explain how it went down.  TV is expensive, and it's really hard for us to escape that fact. 

I have come to realize that one of these days, Turner Classics will be obsolete.  Young people don’t want to watch Fred & Ginger or Judy Garland, etc.  They don’t even know who they are.

1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

I have come to realize that one of these days, Turner Classics will be obsolete.  Young people don’t want to watch Fred & Ginger or Judy Garland, etc.  They don’t even know who they are.

And that's very sad.  Don't kids watch Wizard of Oz anymore?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, kristen111 said:

I just realized that TCM is also one of the "Hubs" available through HBO Max, meaning that a lot (if not all) of what you would get as a standard TCM cable subscriber is available streaming.

So I guess that the channel itself could (will) eventually disappear, but that content will always be out there as part of the big library of content that people expect to get when they cough up the monthly fee for a streaming service. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

And that's very sad.  Don't kids watch Wizard of Oz anymore?

Yes.  On TBS.  I love all the kids movies.  I watched the BBGun movie twice already.  Love it.  Scrooge too.  I think I will get the Disney channel. Lol.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, peacheslatour said:

I was looking for a DVD of Wuthering Heights a few years ago. Believe it or not Amazon had it for $700.00! On a whim I checked EBay. They had it for about $30.00. Of course it's in Korean but there is a menu to scroll down that puts it into English.

Apologies if I already mentioned this but look for the Blu-Ray version. Amazon has multiple options for reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I remember when my son's teen aged babysitter had no idea who Clark Gable or Humphrey Bogart were. I vowed right then and there that my son was not going to be so culturally ignorant.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

The fact that all the snow we just got this past weekend is going to melt by Wednesday, because it'll be in the low 60s (for just one day, but still), and what's more, we might get some thunderstorms. And looking ahead after Wednesday, it'll get cold again, but there's no sign of us getting any more snow before Christmas :(. 

Stupid global warming. 

Today's pet peeve is the "cutesy-ing" of words, in particular, the use of "kiddoes".

An old friend of mine has launched a truly fascinating podcast about child mental health, specifically childhood anxiety.  He has a background in reporting and a son with anxiety.  His co-host is a therapist who herself suffered from anxiety as a child.  It's really well-done.

BUT!  They persist in the constant use of the word "kiddo", instead of kid, child, son, whatever.  It's driving me up a freaking WALL.  At first it was mostly the therapist, but now my friend has picked it up as well.  I think she's probably used to using child-focused language because of her practice, so I understand.  But it's nails on a chalkboard to me.  It's gotten to where I actually find it very distracting.  Like, how you don't notice that someone peppers their speech with "like", until, like, someone mentions it?  And then, you, like, cannot NOT notice it?  Like, grrrr.....

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Today's pet peeve is the "cutesy-ing" of words, in particular, the use of "kiddoes".

An old friend of mine has launched a truly fascinating podcast about child mental health, specifically childhood anxiety.  He has a background in reporting and a son with anxiety.  His co-host is a therapist who herself suffered from anxiety as a child.  It's really well-done.

BUT!  They persist in the constant use of the word "kiddo", instead of kid, child, son, whatever.  It's driving me up a freaking WALL.  At first it was mostly the therapist, but now my friend has picked it up as well.  I think she's probably used to using child-focused language because of her practice, so I understand.  But it's nails on a chalkboard to me.  It's gotten to where I actually find it very distracting.  Like, how you don't notice that someone peppers their speech with "like", until, like, someone mentions it?  And then, you, like, cannot NOT notice it?  Like, grrrr.....

I'll sit next to you. I also can't stand "littles". Or plain pizza, or pizza as the go-to for office parties. I'm at a small table but I'm not an "ZOMG pizza!!!!" person. It gives me heartburn. I like *good* pizza and will deal with the consequences, but good pizza very rarely shows up at the office. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

BUT!  They persist in the constant use of the word "kiddo", instead of kid, child, son, whatever.  It's driving me up a freaking WALL.  At first it was mostly the therapist, but now my friend has picked it up as well.  I think she's probably used to using child-focused language because of her practice, so I understand.  But it's nails on a chalkboard to me.  It's gotten to where I actually find it very distracting.  

I have the same problem with people who screw around with the word "sandwiches" & call them "sammies"

• Love 6

My pet peeve is the people who get really happy when a movie flops, or a show closes, and the like. They post gleeful comments and I really don't get it. I mean yeah if a movie is horrible then I understand it flopping, but this certain type of person almost seems unhappy unless something is flopping miserably at the box office.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve is the people who get really happy when a movie flops, or a show closes, and the like. They post gleeful comments and I really don't get it. I mean yeah if a movie is horrible then I understand it flopping, but this certain type of person almost seems unhappy unless something is flopping miserably at the box office.

Ah schadenfreude.

You see a lot of that as a sports fan. I root for one team that has a really solid fan base, despite the fact it very rarely wins championships. One year, many years ago, that team finally went on a run that looked like they might actually win that rare championship.

So many fans of other rival teams actively rooted for my team to lose. They didn't care about the other team winning. They only wanted to see the fans of my team continue to be without the joy of winning. 

I've made a note of these people, and for the rest of my life, I will happily point out that they are horrible human beings whenever the opportunity presents itself. And because they are horrible human beings, they usually acknowledge that fact, respond with an intelligent retort such as "Wahh!", and then tell me that my team sucks.

And yes, I totally agree with your peeve. I also don't like the strange desire to point out all the things you think is wrong with any form of entertainment that somebody else enjoys to the point you are calling for it to be shut down.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ah schadenfreude.

You see a lot of that as a sports fan. I root for one team that has a really solid fan base, despite the fact it very rarely wins championships. One year, many years ago, that team finally went on a run that looked like they might actually win that rare championship.

So many fans of other rival teams actively rooted for my team to lose. They didn't care about the other team winning. They only wanted to see the fans of my team continue to be without the joy of winning. 

I've made a note of these people, and for the rest of my life, I will happily point out that they are horrible human beings whenever the opportunity presents itself. And because they are horrible human beings, they usually acknowledge that fact, respond with an intelligent retort such as "Wahh!", and then tell me that my team sucks.

And yes, I totally agree with your peeve. I also don't like the strange desire to point out all the things you think is wrong with any form of entertainment that somebody else enjoys to the point you are calling for it to be shut down.

The weird glee over a show's failing or the related glee in putting down a main character has always puzzled me, but, yeah, it annoys me even more, so I will join you at the table for this pet peeve.
But with regards to solving my puzzlement, I hadn't considered that it's similar to yelling negative comments at athletes--which is a socially acceptable thing to do.
I guess we should all be going to hell if there is one.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

And some don't just wait if it flops, but actively participate in the process by distorting the score by review bombing, often via multiple fake accounts. It's quite childish.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Perfume collection videos that don't list the names of the fragrances.

Perfume commercials in general. Some of them are just bizarre, especially the higher end ones. Hard-bodied males & females swimming in the ocean or walking through beautifully ornate rooms or running through a field of flowers or on a sandy beach. I guess I'm supposed to surmise that if I wear the scent I'll be rich and beautiful? Or people will think I am? 

The one with Johnny Depp makes me want to take a shower and scrub every inch of my skin, not run out and by that cologne.

At least the Axe commercials are honest, I can smell it from 10 feet away because it's so strong!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I came here with this pet peeve because I posted on social media that I enjoyed the new West Side Story film. Theres a casual acquaintance who started bombarding me with articles saying WSS bombed at the box office. I asked him to stop once, twice, the third time I blocked him. I do not get this at all.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I remember when my son's teen aged babysitter had no idea who Clark Gable or Humphrey Bogart were. I vowed right then and there that my son was not going to be so culturally ignorant.

Exactly! We raised our kid to appreciate all the greats of the 1930s and 40s movie world. One of my favorite memories is of him literally falling off the couch laughing at around age 7 when watching a Marx Brothers movie (I think it was Duck Soup) - we had to pause the movie because he was laughing so hard he was crying :)

In this vein: How can you teach your kid about sex without showing them Bogart and Bacall in "To Have and Have Not"? ("You do know how to whistle...?). That is real sexual chemistry, right there. How can any kid learn about gender equality without watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers? (she does it all backwards, in heels!)

My peeve: Why, oh why, is this kind of thing not required viewing in school rather than those horrible movie versions of "the classics" (Les Miserables, I'm looking at you!)???

Edited by isalicat
forgot a crucial word!
  • Love 4

My peeve: Why, oh why, is this kind of thing not required viewing in school rather than those horrible movie versions of "the classics" (Les Miserables, I'm looking at you!)???

That's a really good question. It's part of our culture as Americans.

16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm only happy if it's the business of someone awful or something like that.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Ah schadenfreude.

Yes, never understood "hating" a team--and questioned my husband about that (I don't really follow sports). He told me he doesn't like certain teams because they beat "his" team out of the playoffs or a championship? Or that certain team's fans are a-holes --I live in PA and Philly fans are notoriously rude, even violent at stadium games? Whatever, still don't get it.

My pet peeve--my neighbor to the back of me using his loud saw to cut down trees and branches, then using his wood chipper to get rid of them. The weather has been nice, so he's out there a lot for hours. I hate him.

(PS I know he may have to do this chore, but I still hate him, lol)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Yes, never understood "hating" a team--and questioned my husband about that (I don't really follow sports). He told me he doesn't like certain teams because they beat "his" team out of the playoffs or a championship? Or that certain team's fans are a-holes --I live in PA and Philly fans are notoriously rude, even violent at stadium games? Whatever, still don't get it.

My peeve line is triggered when ordinary "hate" of a rival team crosses over into a territory that feels like a person is more invested in another team losing than they are in their own team winning. It's usually triggered when one team has had a lot more success than another. 

It's not just team sports. When Tiger Woods was dominating golf people would watch the major tournaments with their entire rooting interest being "I hope somebody beats him!" Their favorite golfer was "anybody but Tiger Woods."

That's my peeve. It's usually presented as "I love rooting for the underdog!" but it always feels to me that it's actually "I hate anybody who has too much success."

• Love 4
On 11/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, kristen111 said:

I love when the Father says “I have to eat so I can take my back pills”,  that’s my husband.  The Grandparents are so typical.

Whenever my husband says he needs to eat, I always ask him because you need to take your back pill and he doesn't get it. lol

• LOL 3

I absolutely enjoy sports schadenfreude. It's part of the entertainment value for me and it annoys me when people suggest I stop watching tennis if I hate Djokovic so much. Well, I watch because I like watching him lose. I will never feel bad for mocking the insanely privileged white male. 

My pet peeve is the constant and ongoing discussion about women's bodies. It starts like this: 

Someone makes snide/insulting comment about a woman's body.

First reaction post saying the discussion is inappropriate.

Next person agrees that it's inappropriate and adds in that the body of the woman in question is fantastic anyway.

Continuing in that vein, the next five posters discuss how great the body is, how they wish they had that body, that they are sexually attracted to bodies like that, how people would kill for that body, etc.

And all of that results in....a long discussion about women's bodies.

I want the conversation to just not happen, because it's a trap. No matter how inappropriate the over analyzation of women's bodies is, it always ends up happening even through just defense of the body. I feel stuck in this cycle because if the snide/insulting comment is just ignored, people may think it's acceptable.

I don't know how to end the cycle and I'm tired of watching it play out over and over.  

• Love 7

I'm sick of things being made to the absolute lowest standards and breaking almost immediately. The maintenance guy FINALLY just fixed our dishwasher for the third(??) time. I have no doubt that the piece of shit will break again. It was installed one year ago. My first service call was five weeks ago, so we've basically been without it for that long. It worked maybe four cycles here and there.

I bought a new home "office" chair because the hydraulics were shot in my boyfriend's chair that he got for free when someone moved out. I had the chair 12 WHOLE DAYS when one of the wheels broke. I'm so angry about this. The chair sucks in the first place. The pre-drilled holes in the seat didn't line up, so I couldn't get all four bolts to anchor the seat to the frame. It's uncomfortable, and I've had to order pads to try to make it comfortable. It's regularly $120, but I got it for $85 with tax. I felt like that was a decent amount of money for a home office chair, but I guess not. I feel like a huge sucker because of all I've had to lay out to make this chair useable when I just should've spent more on a higher-quality chair in the first place.

I tried to get another wheel for the chair but the manufacturer doesn't make just the wheels. The vendor is sending me a new chair for free. I wish I had just stopped when I was putting it together and saw it wouldn't fit correctly because that was a red flag. I'm mad at myself and the chair.

AND! I ordered a video doorbell (not a Ring because I don't have Ring money) because one of my packages was stolen a few weeks ago. I also ordered a theft-proof door mount for the doorbell. I got the doorbell yesterday but the mount had arrived a couple weeks ago. I hadn't opened the mount box until last night when I went to set up the doorbell. The mount looked like someone had tied it up to their car and dragged it behind them. It was scratched all to hell. How it would've gotten scratched like it was is something I cannot begin to understand. This is a box that is mounted on one's door. I asked the vendor for a return and a new one is being sent to me.

I had a complete meltdown last night. On Friday morning at the ungodly hour of 8:05, I go to the gastroenterologist on the other side of the county because I still have no relief from my symptoms, and I'm about six weeks into THAT. I'm fucking EXHAUSTED.

Edited by bilgistic
5 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Whenever my husband says he needs to eat, I always ask him because you need to take your back pill and he doesn't get it. lol

I can’t stop watching Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.  The parents at the door crack me up.  Then the uncle with the hair piece and Aunt Bethenny. 16 Candles too.  Real life families.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I can’t stop watching Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.  The parents at the door crack me up.  Then the uncle with the hair piece and Aunt Bethenny. 16 Candles too.  Real life families.

That's why I have a hard time watching it these days. I used to love it when my mom and my aunt and uncle were alive and my dad didn't have Alzheimer's. But now it's almost painful. You never think about stuff like that when you're younger.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm sick of things being made to the absolute lowest standards and breaking almost immediately. The maintenance guy FINALLY just fixed our dishwasher for the third(??) time. I have no doubt that the piece of shit will break again. It was installed one year ago. My first service call was five weeks ago, so we've basically been without it for that long. It worked maybe four cycles here and there.

I bought a new home "office" chair because the hydraulics were shot in my boyfriend's chair that he got for free when someone moved out. I had the chair 12 WHOLE DAYS when one of the wheels broke. I'm so angry about this. The chair sucks in the first place. The pre-drilled holes in the seat didn't line up, so I couldn't get all four bolts to anchor the seat to the frame. It's uncomfortable, and I've had to order pads to try to make it comfortable. It's regularly $120, but I got it for $85 with tax. I felt like that was a decent amount of money for a home office chair, but I guess not. I feel like a huge sucker because of all I've had to lay out to make this chair useable when I just should've spent more on a higher-quality chair in the first place.

I tried to get another wheel for the chair but the manufacturer doesn't make just the wheels. The vendor is sending me a new chair for free. I wish I had just stopped when I was putting it together and saw it wouldn't fit correctly because that was a red flag. I'm mad at myself and the chair.

AND! I ordered a video doorbell (not a Ring because I don't have Ring money) because one of my packages was stolen a few weeks ago. I also ordered a theft-proof door mount for the doorbell. I got the doorbell yesterday but the mount had arrived a couple weeks ago. I hadn't opened the mount box until last night when I went to set up the doorbell. The mount looked like someone had tied it up to their car and dragged it behind them. It was scratched all to hell. How it would've gotten scratched like it was is something I cannot begin to understand. This is a box that is mounted on one's door. I asked the vendor for a return and a new one is being sent to me.

I had a complete meltdown last night. On Friday morning at the ungodly hour of 8:05, I go to the gastroenterologist on the other side of the county because I still have no relief from my symptoms, and I'm about six weeks into THAT. I'm fucking EXHAUSTED.

I have noticed since this Covid shit, everything is magnified in a bad way.  Every little thing that happens, put me in a lousy mood.  Then, I have to think about the tornado victims, then feel blessed.  I used to be a morning person, get up and go.  Now, I make my appointments in the afternoon so I can get myself together or cancel.  That’s how I roll now.  All appliances, big or small don’t last long enough anymore.  They are made flimsy.  Lots of people are having stomach problems too.  Nerves, I think.  Just watching the news makes my stomach hurt.

• Love 6