Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Haha .. well, at least he has a phone.  Mine called me from Shop Rite this morning on their phone at the desk to ask me where the split peas were.  He refuses to get another phone.  I think they are afraid to come home with the wrong thing.  Tomorrow, we go to the two girls houses to exchange gifts in the driveways.  Ridiculous, I know.

My mum would send my dad to the shops (walking distance, not far at all) and most days would send him straight back to return something because a) it wasn't the price she expected, b) he got the wrong size or flavour or c) when she saw the item it wasn't what she wanted.  She wasn't physically able to do the shopping herself so he had no choice but to do it, the lady on the service desk got to know him really well.  Actually I suppose most of the staff knew him as he was there more than once most days!

We've done driveway gift exchanges since the pandemic began, one person even wiped down the parcel before leaving it on a rock and backing away for us to pick it up!

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

My mum would send my dad to the shops (walking distance, not far at all) and most days would send him straight back to return something because a) it wasn't the price she expected, b) he got the wrong size or flavour or c) when she saw the item it wasn't what she wanted.  She wasn't physically able to do the shopping herself so he had no choice but to do it, the lady on the service desk got to know him really well.  Actually I suppose most of the staff knew him as he was there more than once most days!

We've done driveway gift exchanges since the pandemic began, one person even wiped down the parcel before leaving it on a rock and backing away for us to pick it up!

That’s great with the gifts.  Guess I’m not the only one being very careful.  If only everyone was, but some are not.  They just don’t care.  I think most retired men do the shopping now.  They probably like to get out of the house, lol, I know mine does.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Sometimes as sad as it seems, being a widow does make life somewhat easier. I do the shopping/laundry/cooking and all the other things,  I cook what I like and feel like eating. My only dietary restrictions are that I am diabetic so I am careful what I eat. Late DH was also diabetic but had no care about what he ate...sad but true for his generation (21 years older than me)...

My sister in Florida is widowed 13 yrs now.  She’s busier than me.  Out everyday with her other widowed friends in her development, playing canasta three times a week, and other activities.  Do you have a clubhouse and friends to go out with?  Some women need that .. some don’t.  I wish all good things for you, as it must not be easy.  Plus, you do have all of us.  ❤️  Everyone is a good listener, I’ve found.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A pet peeve of mine is I have a hard time finding friends who are similar to me. I'm not the least bit religious, but I am a goody two-shoes. Don't drink, smoke, drug, not into hook-up culture, kind of a conservative person despite the fact I am very liberal in a lot of ways. Me being bad is basically cursing. I love all my friends, but sometimes I feel lame among the ones who are outgoing, date a lot and tell me about their sexcapades. And then I know I disappoint other friends by not going to church and not believing in anything. For years I'd say I was spiritual not religious. I finally became comfortable with agnostic.

I don’t get that at all.  My best friend of forty years is Russian and her husband Jewish.  They have three boys with no religion.  I don’t even think about it, as it’s their business.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Same for me having been divorced for 30+ years with the youngest having gone off to college 14 years ago. 
But the above discussion reminds me of the time when my ex went to the local grocery store with a full-length list that I had re-written in the order the items were arranged in the store from the entrance to the checkout. When he returned, he actually remarked about having noticed how the list items were in order of the store’s layout, and about how easy that made it. 

Right around the time he started doing the grocery shopping, the QFC near us was part of a huge expansion into a big office/condo/retail park with undergound parking that was very difficult for the average person to use. We started using the one in the next town over and he made a map of it for me so when I make out the list, I know exactly where everything is and he can go from the entrance to the check out without have to wander around looking for things.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yep. I think women did more years ago.  Took care of the house and worked.  Today, I see the husbands are more hands on with the kids and housework.  They go to school meetings, cook, do laundry, and get involved.  Nice.  They take the pressure off women.

My husband was certainly like that but it's really not the norm among the young couples I see. The women still do the lion's share of the childcare, housework and emotional labor.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband was certainly like that but it's really not the norm among the young couples I see. The women still do the lion's share of the childcare, housework and emotional labor.

Yep.  There are many reasons this pandemic has led to a lot of women leaving the workplace and one big reason is even today in 2021 verging on 2022 when it comes right down to it Mom is the one who takes primary responsibility for the kids and the house.  Maybe it's better than it used to be (honestly it would have to be) but by no means is it equal.  Not even close.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t get that at all.  My best friend of forty years is Russian and her husband Jewish.  They have three boys with no religion.  I don’t even think about it, as it’s their business.

Which is probably part of the reason that you have been friends for 40+ years. 
You understand MYOB without being told. 😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Maybe it's better than it used to be (honestly it would have to be) but by no means is it equal. Not even close.

Studies consistently show the percentage of housework and childcare done by men has not improved all that much since "the second shift" was first widely discussed (more than they did up through the '70s, certainly, but not much more than they were doing in the '80s when both parties working had become typical - they went from nothing to something and then kind of stalled).  Men think they're doing oodles more than their fathers did, but tossing the occasional load of laundry in the washer and playing video games with the kid doesn't move the needle much.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Studies consistently show the percentage of housework and childcare done by men has not improved much at all since "the second shift" was first studied and talked about.  Men think they're doing oodles more than their fathers did, but tossing the occasional load of laundry in the washer and playing video games with the kid doesn't move the needle much.

Ha ha another topic I wrote about when I worked at Ladies' Home Journal in about 1990, when that book came out.  I quoted a friend complaining about her husband, and he never spoke to us again.  (He was my husband's grad school roommate.)  They're divorced.  The funny thing about it is that the roommate did all the cooking, cleaning and shopping in the house they shared with two other guys.  He was a real "balabusta."  My husband always finds someone else to do this work!  The roommate completely changed after marriage. 

Edited by GussieK
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

Ha ha another topic I wrote about when I worked at Ladies' Home Journal in about 1990, when that book came out. 

Yep, 1989.  So more than 30 years have passed, but the increase in the percentage of such work done by men is not enough, because even with that improvement women are still doing the majority of it. 

And, yes, even when they're equally employed (that's what the "second shift" refers to - in heterosexual couples where both go off to work, women come home to a whole second, unpaid, job).  In fact, one study showed nonemployed men still do less housework and childcare!

Also, household chores still tend to break down along gender lines, so men do things like yard work, while women are doing the cooking, cleaning, and laundry.  Notice she gets the tasks that need to be done far more often.

Yes, today's men are doing better, and that's great.  But they're still not doing their equal share.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

That original actually looks like an embroidery sampler. 

I think it is, in some versions you can see the stitch details.  My lazy alternative is to digitize it and let my machine do all the work.

• Love 3

Chase customer service is the worst! At least it is today. 

I was on hold forever to finally speak with someone. I couldn't hear the individual clearly, and she asked if I'd like to be transferred. I said yes. I wait to speak with another person. We hear each other fine, but she puts me on hold. She returns and asks if I'm still there. I say yes I am over and over, but she can't hear me and hangs up. So frustrating! My phone is working just fine, so I don't think it's anything on my part. 

ETA: Finally got through to a lovely gentleman who helped me. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Studies consistently show the percentage of housework and childcare done by men has not improved all that much since "the second shift" was first widely discussed (more than they did up through the '70s, certainly, but not much more than they were doing in the '80s when both parties working had become typical - they went from nothing to something and then kind of stalled).  Men think they're doing oodles more than their fathers did, but tossing the occasional load of laundry in the washer and playing video games with the kid doesn't move the needle much.

When a man cleans something, it’s usually half assed anyway.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, kristen111 said:
3 hours ago, GussieK said:

BTW, I'm not throwing my husband under the bus.  We have been paying someone to clean since we were poor newlyweds.  We also order a lot of takeout. 

Good for you.  I would love that.  I would need someone to sort out the clutter first.  Not enough closets.  We’ve been getting take out more often also.  Sick of everything.  Tomorrow, we will try Chinese again.  It’s been awhile.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Except my father. 

Maybe this should go to chat, but in the defense of men, my father is super organized and clean. He was also great about being a partner with my mom. However, he is totally the guy who can't grocery shop without calling her! She can get annoyed, but we all mostly think it's funny. 

Also, as much as a lot of women get screwed by doing more housework despite working as much outside of the home, I've seen it go the other way too. I've known men with wives who do not have jobs, and they still do a ton of the household work. I just think it should be fair to both women and men. If I worked as much as my husband, I wouldn't want to take on bulk of household work. If I worked less or didn't have a job, I'd find it only fair to take on more responsibility at home. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I was on hold forever to finally speak with someone. I couldn't hear the individual clearly, and she asked if I'd like to be transferred. I said yes. I wait to speak with another person. We hear each other fine, but she puts me on hold. She returns and asks if I'm still there. I say yes I am over and over, but she can't hear me and hangs up. So frustrating! My phone is working just fine, so I don't think it's anything on my part. 

Some things I ordered from Kohl’s for Christmas went missing.  Two women in customer service went out of their way to help, even called me at night.  They finally found them for me.  I e mailed a nice shoutout to Kohl’s headquarters about their wonderful service and gave their names.  It’s always good to say thanks for good service, not only bad comments.  People that help deserve it.  I talk lots about my husband, in jest mostly, but he’s always there for me.  I’d be a dead woman without him, especially now that I need surgery.  All day long, it’s get me this, get me that, lol.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Some things I ordered from Kohl’s for Christmas went missing.  Two women in customer service went out of their way to help, even called me at night.  They finally found them for me.  I e mailed a nice shoutout to Kohl’s headquarters about their wonderful service and gave their names.  It’s always good to say thanks for good service, not only bad comments.  People that help deserve it.  I talk lots about my husband, in jest mostly, but he’s always there for me.  I’d be a dead woman without him, especially now that I need surgery.  All day long, it’s get me this, get me that, lol.

For sure. I like to leave feedback more for good service than for bad service. 

Aw, I'm glad your husband is there for you! I hope your surgery goes well. :)

• Love 7
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yikes! That sounds like a phone system issue. I wonder if Chase uses the same system our support team uses. It's been experiencing issues lately. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Absolutely, my thoughts as well.  I'm sure there are select, enlightened examples out there, but for me, no matter the age or length of marriage/coupling, the women bear the brunt.

I don't have personal knowledge with same-sex (is that hyphenated?) couples.  Would be interesting to know their story in this regard.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't have personal knowledge with same-sex (is that hyphenated?) couples.  Would be interesting to know of their story in this regard.

Besides not tossing around broad generalizations about how their spouse is just like every other member of their gender when they're annoyed at them, I would assume not much different. 

Interestingly, I recently read a letter to a relationship advice column from a same sex marriage. The person writing in said that they had agreed to split all financial responsibilities along the lines of each person's income. So if one person made $45K and the other made $55K, the expenses were split 45%/55%. They also divided the chores/maintenance of the home exactly 50/50. She gave a lot more detailed explanation of how it all works, but that's essentially their deal.

The person asking for advice said that she absolutely hated her job, and that it was having a negative impact on her emotionally and so on, so after making sure the two of them could still be okay on one income, they decided she should quit.  Her problem was that when she quit, her spouse asked if she could take on a higher percentage of the household chores.

Her question to the advice columnist was, "Our deal splitting expenses was based on income. Our deal splitting household chores was 50/50 and had nothing to do income. I don't think it is fair that she's asking me to do more, and she is upset with me for saying so. What should I do?"

So... There is one example of same sex or not, relationships are relationships. If they're going to maintain a healthy relationship, I would assume they're going need to work out a situation they both agree is fair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Yeah. Sometimes division of labor in the home isn't so simple.

Dad wasn't particularly enlightened with regards to gender roles. He just enjoyed cooking and cleaning the kitchen, and he was a very meticulous kitchen cleaner, heh, but that is a huge part of daily life.

When they first got a computer he said Mom typed for him because that was "secretary work."

But 20 years later when Parkinson's was starting to effect her hands, he taught himself to type. 

In hindsight, I think Dad's comments about typing being for secretaries was his way of expressing appreciation for Mom (a retired secretary) and his value for her. 
Dad stayed active until the end, whereas Mom started to give up 10 years before she died. He tried to encourage her to stay active and do things. He was more concerned when she gave up being president of her book club and then stopped going altogether  than he ever was about her not typing for him anymore. 

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Her question to the advice columnist was, "Our deal splitting expenses was based on income. Our deal splitting household chores was 50/50 and had nothing to do income. I don't think it is fair that she's asking me to do more, and she is upset with me for saying so. What should I do?"

Interesting way to look at this but I'd wonder if the advice given was along the lines of "Splitting household chores had nothing to do with income and most likely everything to do with who has availability to do those chores." 

Splitting 50/50 works when both are also working full-time jobs.  Going 50/50 when one half of the couple is at home (barring illness, disability or caring for an infant or elderly parent etc) is going to lead to resentment on the part of the person still working outside the home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I don't have personal knowledge with same-sex (is that hyphenated?) couples.  Would be interesting to know their story in this regard.

In the floral industry when I was working in it was full of gay couples and the bitching you'd hear about half the couple not pulling their weight around the house was frequent and funny. My buddy Fred (not his real name) was at his wits end with his husband George (nhrn) he tried everything. He even went to so far as to boycott doing anything at all around the house but it did no good. George just claimed to be blind to dirt.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

FWIW, even housecleaners we hire are blind to some dirt.  Over a 30 year period I have not been able to get a single person who already knew about wiping around doorframes for fingermarks, let alone remembers to do it having been asked to do so as a regular thing.  They don't even notice that there's a buildup of grime.  I've given up, have to do it myself.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He even went to so far as to boycott doing anything at all around the house but it did no good.

I know a bit about this approach.  I developed the role of Controlling Partner in our marriage early on.  I have often pondered whether that was due to my apparent controlling nature, or out of necessity (I suspect it's both).  On many occasions, I neglected one thing or another as an experiment.  Never did the desired result occur.  

My husband also rather enjoyed the kitchen clean-up duties, and also fed the cats and tended to their litter boxes.  He also did his own laundry, having come into the relationship as single for 13 years, I saw no reason to become his laundress, lol.  While I appreciated those things, his inherent ability to look past the overflowing trash container, or the dried toothpaste in the sink was frustrating.  His idea of cleaning the bathroom was to swish a toilet brush around after dumping some blue liquid into the bowl.  Never did he ever actually remove anything to dust/clean under or around said thing.  I use past tenses, as his illness/disability prevents any contribution to the workload now.  

• Love 1

My husband came from a family of four boys.  Not one of them can do anything!  How does that happen?

All of them do kitchen duties.  There's never a dirty dish in our sink.  He loves doing his own laundry.

We raised three daughters and one son.  I realized early on my son wouldn't have a chance.

So I enrolled him in a small engine repair program.  Made him in charge of lawn and snow.  Introduced him to Scuba diving and encouraged his love of basketball.  

Also helped get him a job at a Hardware Store his teen years.

I think I did pretty good.  He's quite capable in many things.  Job done!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In the floral industry when I was working in it was full of gay couples and the bitching you'd hear about half the couple not pulling their weight around the house was frequent and funny. My buddy Fred (not his real name) was at his wits end with his husband George (nhrn) he tried everything. He even went to so far as to boycott doing anything at all around the house but it did no good. George just claimed to be blind to dirt.

Does George do anything though?  Or is Fred the main house managing spouse?  I'm thinking same sex couples are more balanced when it comes to responsibility (I'm not close friends with married gay couples and I'm not about to ask acquaintances on how they balance things)!

7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Does George do anything though?  Or is Fred the main house managing spouse?  I'm thinking same sex couples are more balanced when it comes to responsibility (I'm not close friends with married gay couples and I'm not about to ask acquaintances on how they balance things)!

George was an estate manager (butler) and Fred was a flower shop manager. When my husband and I would go over to their house for dinner, I would sit in the kitchen and talk to Fred while my husband would sit in the living room and watch sports with George.

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I know a bit about this approach.  I developed the role of Controlling Partner in our marriage early on.  I have often pondered whether that was due to my apparent controlling nature, or out of necessity (I suspect it's both).  On many occasions, I neglected one thing or another as an experiment.  Never did the desired result occur.  

My husband also rather enjoyed the kitchen clean-up duties, and also fed the cats and tended to their litter boxes.  He also did his own laundry, having come into the relationship as single for 13 years, I saw no reason to become his laundress, lol.  While I appreciated those things, his inherent ability to look past the overflowing trash container, or the dried toothpaste in the sink was frustrating.  His idea of cleaning the bathroom was to swish a toilet brush around after dumping some blue liquid into the bowl.  Never did he ever actually remove anything to dust/clean under or around said thing.  I use past tenses, as his illness/disability prevents any contribution to the workload now.  

Well, mine did the ultimate for me today.  He helped me into the Doctors bathroom and helped me pee in the cup.  Even pulled my pants down.  Guess he still likes me, after fifty years.  Lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Well, mine did the ultimate for me today.  He helped me into the Doctors bathroom and helped me pee in the cup.  Even pulled my pants down.  Guess he still likes me, after fifty years.  Lol.

When I broke my wrist a couple years ago, my DH helped me get into the tub and washed and conditioned my hair. It was incredibly intimate to me. More so than sex even.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, kristen111 said:

When a man cleans something, it’s usually half assed anyway.  

That's the trick, they know that if they do a bad job, at some point the woman will just say "let me do it". Then, if the woman complains about them not doing anything, they can say "you won't let me! I cleaned all the time, but you told me to stop!". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

When I broke my wrist a couple years ago, my DH helped me get into the tub and washed and conditioned my hair. It was incredibly intimate to me. More so than sex even.

You are very brave. Mine hasn’t seen me in the light since year 2000.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, GaT said:

That's the trick, they know that if they do a bad job, at some point the woman will just say "let me do it". Then, if the woman complains about them not doing anything, they can say "you won't let me! I cleaned all the time, but you told me to stop!". 

It's called "weaponized incompetence".

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: storms. Why the fuck are there storms that may produce a tornado in December? 

I cannot wait to get back to my safe haven where we have 4 season: fire, flood, earthquake and riot. I am so over this thunderstorm and tornado shit.

No real issue with earthquakes and fires where I live, but still, amen to being done with tornadoes. I think everyone could use a nice, long break from those. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: storms. Why the fuck are there storms that may produce a tornado in December? 

I cannot wait to get back to my safe haven where we have 4 season: fire, flood, earthquake and riot. I am so over this thunderstorm and tornado shit.

Here in Seattle we usually have rain, rain, construction and rain but not this year. It's been rain, ungodly heat, rain, freeze your ass off.

• Love 2
Just now, peacheslatour said:

Here in Seattle we usually have rain, rain, construction and rain but not this year. It's been rain, ungodly heat, rain, freeze your ass off.

I heard about the crazy snow! One of my goals (not resolutions) for 2022 is to do better, on a personal level, when it comes to things that can impact climate change. Combine trips, buy less for delivery, more in-store, buy local, eat less meat, etc...

• Love 4

This is an understatement, but I don't understand people. I sent my boyfriend's mother and sister a thank-you text for the gift cards and leftovers my boyfriend brought home from his Christmas visit with them. I said that I was sorry I wasn't able to go, but hopefully I will have a diagnosis and treatment plan after the 21st (two scopes for my mysterious gastro issues) and that maybe the pandemic would be over sometime this decade.

My boyfriend's sister's response: "Glad you liked the gifts and food. We missed having you here but hopefully next year. We had a great time. In regards to the pandemic it will only end when everyone starts ignoring the continued cycle of bullshit thrown our way and starts living their lives again which I am going to. I'm over the pandemic crap and everything that goes with it. I've sat around for 2 years of being sick and I'm not doing anymore. The government can kiss my ass! Lol 😂 sorry my rants over! Hopefully we can get the whole family together over the summer."

She had NASAL CANCER. I fully understand being tired of being sick (she is luckily in full remission), but I guess I get now why no one seems to give a shit about her son not being vaccinated. I imagine she wouldn't have been vaccinated had she not been required to in order to be treated. I know she had to be tested early on when they started her treatment plan before the vaccine was readily available.

We're now at 821,000 deaths in under two years in the U.S. What's that now about people "living their lives again"?

Edited by bilgistic
9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My boyfriend's sister's response: "Glad you liked the gifts and food. We missed having you here but hopefully next year. We had a great time. In regards to the pandemic it will only end when everyone starts ignoring the continued cycle of bullshit thrown our way and starts living their lives again which I am going to. I'm over the pandemic crap and everything that goes with it. I've sat around for 2 years of being sick and I'm not doing anymore. The government can kiss my ass! Lol 😂 sorry my rants over! Hopefully we can get the whole family together over the summer."

Rants like this amaze me because these people act like those of us who've been extra cautious and supportive of the guidelines and whatnot aren't sick of this pandemic. Do they think we're not tired of this, either? Do they think we don't want to go back to being able to go out in public without having to put on a mask first, or go to theater or sporting or concert events without incident again, or so on? We would LOVE that. That's why we've been so freaking cautious, 'cause we're hoping by doing that that'll, y'know, speed up the end of this seemingly endless nightmare. 

I'm also pretty sure there are government and medical officials who are sick and tired of having to try and explain all of this stuff about safety and guidelines and whatnot to people, too. I'm pretty sure Fauci is freaking exhausted by now and would like to just go back to his ordinary, everyday life. 

But they can't, and they don't, because, y'know, they're trying to do what they can to keep all of us safe and put an end to this mess. It's not their fault some out there refuse to cooperate and do their part to be responsible human beings. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 21