Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Hmmm, I didn’t stay up for the whole show.  Thanks for the link.  

You're welcome. I was up for the whole show. Andy Cohen was HAMMERED. I'm glad he didn't get fired. I hope whoever told you he did has the correct information now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

You're welcome. I was up for the whole show. Andy Cohen was HAMMERED. I'm glad he didn't get fired. I hope whoever told you he did has the correct information now.

My husband and I were watching Dick Clark's New Years Eve some time back in the nineties and we both will go to out deathbeds swearing we saw this happen. He had a young woman who was co-hosting and when they came back from commercial he was trying to kiss her. She was obviously pushing him away and the camera cut quickly away to some happening in Time's Square or something. But We SAW it. We both saw it. Nobody else I ever met saw it. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband and I were watching Dick Clark's New Years Eve some time back in the nineties and we both will go to out deathbeds swearing we saw this happen. He had a young woman who was co-hosting and when they came back from commercial he was trying to kiss her. She was obviously pushing him away and the camera cut quickly away to some happening in Time's Square or something. But We SAW it. We both saw it. Nobody else I ever met saw it. 

Yikes! I tried Googling the incident and it doesn't help that KISS was a guest. So many results to comb through. Isn't there a forum for a "does anyone else remember this" things? Or maybe cross-post in chit-chat?

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Yikes! I tried Googling the incident and it doesn't help that KISS was a guest. So many results to comb through. Isn't there a forum for a "does anyone else remember this" things? Or maybe cross-post in chit-chat?

I ran into one person on Reddit who remembered it. It's so weird.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I ran into one person on Reddit who remembered it. It's so weird.

I feel like that is a random thing I would remember, so I can envision it but I have no idea if it's a real memory or if it's a suggested memory. I'm glad you found someone else unrelated who truly remembers it!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Spam texts. Anyone else deal with a lot of these? Very annoying. 

I'm glad I've never attached my phone # to Amazon or any other place I've ordered from online.  Those damn spam texts can seem really plausible at first glance, and this seems to be the kind I get most.  "Your package is delayed at the border" being the favourite.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

People in groups on Facebook asking if anyone is hiring.

Throw  a rock and you’ll hit one. 🤦‍♀️

And then in the comments the MLM people swoop in with "work from your phone! become a bossbabe! work on your own time whenever you want and make a real salary!" My cousin got caught up in one (Monat) and briefly turned into someone I didn't even recognize before she got out (and lost quite a bit of money from it).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

And then in the comments the MLM people swoop in with "work from your phone! become a bossbabe! work on your own time whenever you want and make a real salary!" My cousin got caught up in one (Monat) and briefly turned into someone I didn't even recognize before she got out (and lost quite a bit of money from it).

Get rich quick schemes are always with us.

• Love 2

This isn't a peeve against Amazon per se, well, maybe it should be. I don't know.

But it's the second time it's happened, and really, my ire is against the courier. I ordered the cutest beanie hat/scarf/touch screen gloves in red and white, which arrived earlier than the original date expected. What does the idiot courier do? According to his or her notes, they "handed it to a resident." The FUCK? My delivery instructions CLEARLY state to deliver it to my door. The couriers have been really bad and lazy about dumping items in the mailroom instead of actually going to the person's door. Even though there is a HUGE ASS NOTE from Management not to do that. Once they're let in, there's nothing preventing them from walking to the elevator and going to the lower level (T), second-seventh floors to make the deliveries.

It got so bad, management put in a large steel shelves where they can put the items.

It's hit and miss. Sometimes I get my stuff at the door, sometimes I don't.

Anyhoo, this is the second time whoever the courier was, handing off MY stuff to someone else. Clearly both those neighbors of mine are outright THIEVES as they kept the items for themselves.

So I reordered the item-oh look, it's no longer available, but another set in a brighter red hat and gloves is, so I ordered that. The original was more maroon. Amazon gave me a $5 credit to make up for the cost, since the reorder was five bucks more.

I'm blaming the pandemic. It's gotten so even UPS and FedEx won't arse themselves to deliver the heavier items to my door. Like my Christmas Tree from Target? And toilet paper? They left it in the mailroom. 

The only FedEx guy (which is my favorite guy cuz he's got the OIRISH brogue), always comes to my door. But then the stuff he delivers require a signature. But I love chatting with him. On a purely shallow note, I prolong whenever he delivers because I love the brogue!

Wot?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I'm blaming the pandemic. It's gotten so even UPS and FedEx won't arse themselves to deliver the heavier items to my door. Like my Christmas Tree from Target? And toilet paper? They left it in the mailroom. 

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. My son and DIL also live in an apartment and have trouble getting their stuff. But I have to say during the holidays, even during the pandemic, I got my Amazon stuff super fast. My computer committed suicide a couple of weeks ago. I gave my son my password and he ordered me a new one from Amazon and it came the same day! I was without a computer for a matter of hours.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. My son and DIL also live in an apartment and have trouble getting their stuff. But I have to say during the holidays, even during the pandemic, I got my Amazon stuff super fast. My computer committed suicide a couple of weeks ago. I gave my son my password and he ordered me a new one from Amazon and it came the same day! I was without a computer for a matter of hours.

Exactly. These issues have just started since the pandemic. Before then, I didn't have any problems.

• Love 1

You all may remember the thrilling hand mixer saga. Like the pandemic, it is never going to end.

Today, the store from which I bought the hand mixer that arrived without beaters sent me an email that said my store credit card bill is overdue. What?? I "returned" the mixer because it had no beaters. (I was actually told to keep it; the mixer was out of stock so there wasn't a replacement. I never found beaters to fit in it, but maintenance finally fixed the kitchen outlet, which I knew was the problem in the first place. My old mixer works just fine.)

So now, there's a $10.60 balance on the card because for some reason, only part of the cost was refunded. Grrrrr!!! I didn't get a bill before now, and the mixer was the only thing I'd bought from that store in six months.

I sent a message through card customer service because I don't have the patience to talk to a person after this has been going on for two months. Why is the dumbest shit that should be so simple made to be so difficult?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

You all may remember the thrilling hand mixer saga. Like the pandemic, it is never going to end.

Today, the store from which I bought the hand mixer that arrived without beaters sent me an email that said my store credit card bill is overdue. What?? I "returned" the mixer because it had no beaters. (I was actually told to keep it; the mixer was out of stock so there wasn't a replacement. I never found beaters to fit in it, but maintenance finally fixed the kitchen outlet, which I knew was the problem in the first place. My old mixer works just fine.)

So now, there's a $10.60 balance on the card because for some reason, only part of the cost was refunded. Grrrrr!!! I didn't get a bill before now, and the mixer was the only thing I'd bought from that store in six months.

I sent a message through card customer service because I don't have the patience to talk to a person after this has been going on for two months. Why is the dumbest shit that should be so simple made to be so difficult?

Tell me about it! I’d recently gotten an email from Amazon reminding me to return the defective tree lights I had started a return for, otherwise my card would be charged/refund rescinded. It was infuriating as I had already returned it last month! I didn’t want to deal with emailing them, so called them and TOLD them I returned it and that I better not be charged again for it. The guy I spoke with assured me the email was in error and I wouldn’t be charged and confirmed it with an email.

I seriously don’t know what’s going on with them lately.

And lo and behold-the replacement phone screen protector I ordered along with another item was delivered to my door!🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

On 1/12/2022 at 4:48 AM, RealHousewife said:

Spam texts. Anyone else deal with a lot of these? Very annoying. 

Yes, all day. I don't even know what to do anymore -- NOTHING actually works. I have basically stopped paying attention to my landline because of spam calls and now it's texts and calls on my cell. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yes, all day. I don't even know what to do anymore -- NOTHING actually works. I have basically stopped paying attention to my landline because of spam calls and now it's texts and calls on my cell. 

I got rid of spam call on my cell phone by texting #662#. It only works on androids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

The mixer saga continues. I've been on the phone with the store (rhymes with "bowls") for a half hour now and have talked to two people--the rep and his supervisor. I'm being transferred to a third person. I'm trying to get what they are saying are the "shipping charges" removed from my store card. Again, it's a whole $10.60, but it's not the shipping and tax because it doesn't add up to that but whatever. I don't understand this at all. This is a manufacturer mistake OR someone bought the mixer before me and took out the beaters and then returned the mixer. This is in no way my fault, and I shouldn't have to pay anything. I'm trying to maintain composure over this because it's not a big deal overall...but WHY IS THIS SO HARD?!?

Guess where I'll never shop again and what store's card I'll be cancelling immediately.

• Love 4

THEY should be the ones to say, "whatever, here’s a refund immediately!" Instead they’re wasting time of various employees over $10?! That’s just crazy! And maybe why people flock to Amazon despite its myriad questionable practices (in my experience, Amazon has always just said, “whoops, sorry, keep it and we’ll send another or issue a refund, OK, bye”).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

I just hung up after an hour on the phone. I'm in tears. They won't refund the money. Off to social media I go.

This is the worst customer service outside of Spectrum's that I've ever experienced.

The last rep kept trying to give me a $10 coupon off new merch instead of refunding the money. I think the fuck not. I told him I'd never darken the doorstep of their stores ever again.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The last rep kept trying to give me a $10 coupon off new merch instead of refunding the money. I think the fuck not. I told him I'd never darken the doorstep of their stores ever again.

This is their brilliant way to try and keep a customer I guess.  So stupid.  We had something similar happen with an airline, they screwed up everything they possibly could short of crashing the plane, acknowledged they'd screwed up and inconvenienced us beyond reason and their only solution was to offer us a $100 off our next flight.  Trust me there will never be a next flight with that airline!  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I got rid of spam call on my cell phone by texting #662#. It only works on androids.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Damn me -- iPhone over here!

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Only works for T-Mobile users?

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm on T-Mobil but when I did it, I was told any android type phone. Is android exclusive to T-Mobile?

Here is a CNET article about spam calls. At the bottom it talks about dialing #662# to enable T-Mobile's scam shield. It also has info about ATT, VZ and Sprint spam blocking features.

T-Mobile's Scam Shield is free to all customers and includes multiple features designed to protect you from robocalls and sharing your personal information. Dial #662# from your phone to turn on Scam Block, or download the free Scam Shield app in your phone's respective app store. With Scam Shield enabled, you'll get full caller ID, scam reporting, scam blocking before your phone ever rings and the option to mark numbers as favorites so they still ring your phone.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm on T-Mobil but when I did it, I was told any android type phone. Is android exclusive to T-Mobile?

No, but my cursory search indicated that code was exclusive to T-Mobile.  The Verizon app doesn't keep the phone from ringing, which is what I want, it merely marks as "potential spam".  I can block that number, but that's a futile act as we know.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

I had 41 spam calls in December—more calls than days in the month. I'm at nine so far in January. It's truly gotten out of control.

I have a Pixel phone and use Google's native spam/call screener, but it doesn't stop the calls from coming through. They are screened and the spammer always hangs up. Those that do "answer" are recordings...which are illegal, but here we are.

Edited by bilgistic
On 1/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm peeved that narcissist Andy Cohen wasn't fired.I stopped watching 

Just now, kristen111 said:
On 1/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm peeved that narcissist Andy Cohen wasn't fired.I stopped watching 

I stopped watching WWHL.  Andy just LOVES when women make asses out of themselves.  Too much booze.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I had 41 spam calls in December—more calls than days in the month. I'm at nine so far in January. It's truly gotten out of control.

I have a Pixel phone and use Google's native spam/call screener, but it doesn't stop the calls from coming through. They are screened and the spammer always hangs up. Those that do "answer" are recordings...which are illegal, but here we are.

Got one of those before 8 am.  Why can’t the government put a stop to them somehow?  Guess certain people are benefiting.  I get at least six a day.  They must be getting the phone numbers from Doctors offices or on line purchases.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Has to be Doctors offices.  That’s the only place I give my cell phone number to .. for emergency.  I have a Verizon I phone.

• Useful 2

I'm not really peeved at this, just totally confused. An order from Amazon, placed on Thursday. I checked tracking a while ago, and I was surprised to see it was marked "Out for Delivery," which would be super fast--plus, we never get UPS deliveries here on Saturday.

So here's the tracking progress:

Saturday, January 15

8:28 AM

Package is out for delivery.

Louisville, KY US

6:59 AM

Package arrived at a carrier facility.

Londonderry, NH US

6:45 AM

Manchester, NH US

4:51 AM

Package left the carrier facility.

Louisville, KY US

Friday, January 14

11:36 PM

Louisville, KY US

8:53 PM

Louisville, KY US

9:16 AM

Garner, NC US

Carrier picked up the package.

It went from NC on Fri morning to KY by Fri night. Then it went to NH early this morning (great! right next door!), and then it's marked "Out for Delivery" an hour and a half later--back in KY! What the . . . ??? Does UPS serve booze on the coffee cart? The package got all the way to New Hampshire and then zipped back to Kentucky?

This would be weird but not noteworthy if it happened just once. But it happens really often. I don't even begin to get how this is a thing.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

No, but my cursory search indicated that code was exclusive to T-Mobile

All it does is activate the T-Mobile ScamBlock software / app on the phone. It's not an Android specific function.

1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Got one of those before 8 am.  Why can’t the government put a stop to them somehow?  Guess certain people are benefiting.  I get at least six a day.  They must be getting the phone numbers from Doctors offices or on line purchases.

They are generated from overseas using random number generators. Nothing the US Government can do (or any one government entity). You can enroll in the do not call list, but that only works if the spammer is US based. Your doctors office isn't selling your data. Sure, some online companies are selling data, but it's on the customer to read the fine print and opt-out of the sale of their data. 

Don't answer numbers you don't know. iPhone can silence unknown numbers. Google how to enable that setting if you have an iPhone. Android phones can block unknown callers. 

Enabling those blocks is risky because you may miss a call you need, like from your doctors office, or a hospital, or a company you are interviewing with, etc...

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4

I used to work for an answering service. We answered for doctors, funeral homes, oil companies, etc.

Each business had a fake number (I can’t remember the actual name) assigned to it so they could call in on that number. We would get crap calls all the time. They would come in numerical order. Computers were dialing.

• Love 2

Enabling those blocks is risky because you may miss a call you need, like from your doctors office, or a hospital, or a company you are interviewing with, etc...

I can see where that would be true but in my case, I already have all those numbers in my phone. No more job hunting for me.

• Love 3

I have to answer strange numbers. Sometimes it’s a new potential client. I answer my own phone. I have my office number routed to my cell phone. Also, when I’m in the office, since Covid, they don’t let the lunch delivery people come upstairs, so they call from the lobby. They have all kinds of strange area codes. At least I know approximately when to expect their call. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

All it does is activate the T-Mobile ScamBlock software / app on the phone. It's not an Android specific function.

They are generated from overseas using random number generators. Nothing the US Government can do (or any one government entity). You can enroll in the do not call list, but that only works if the spammer is US based. Your doctors office isn't selling your data. Sure, some online companies are selling data, but it's on the customer to read the fine print and opt-out of the sale of their data. 

Don't answer numbers you don't know. iPhone can silence unknown numbers. Google how to enable that setting if you have an iPhone. Android phones can block unknown callers. 

Interesting and thanks.  One time I didn’t answer an unknown number.  It was the Doctors office.  They could always leave a message tho.  Scammers don’t of course.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm not really peeved at this, just totally confused. An order from Amazon, placed on Thursday. I checked tracking a while ago, and I was surprised to see it was marked "Out for Delivery," which would be super fast--plus, we never get UPS deliveries here on Saturday.

So here's the tracking progress:

Saturday, January 15

8:28 AM

Package is out for delivery.

Louisville, KY US

6:59 AM

Londonderry, NH US

6:45 AM

Manchester, NH US

4:51 AM

Louisville, KY US

Friday, January 14

11:36 PM

Louisville, KY US

8:53 PM

Louisville, KY US

9:16 AM

Garner, NC US

Carrier picked up the package.

It went from NC on Fri morning to KY by Fri night. Then it went to NH early this morning (great! right next door!), and then it's marked "Out for Delivery" an hour and a half later--back in KY! What the . . . ??? Does UPS serve booze on the coffee cart? The package got all the way to New Hampshire and then zipped back to Kentucky?

This would be weird but not noteworthy if it happened just once. But it happens really often. I don't even begin to get how this is a thing.

Lots of variables, especially around this time.  Weather, changing planes, different carriers, overloaded, etc.

• Useful 1
On 1/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, RealHousewife said:

Losing glasses. I can barely see without them. (

I lose mine everyday, lol.  First place we look is the garbage.  Then room to room.  I do have a dozen of those things to wear around the neck, but never use them, lol.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Lots of variables, especially around this time.  Weather, changing planes, different carriers, overloaded, etc.

I'm pretty sure a thousand miles back in the wrong direction when the package was already an hour or two from my house isn't a variable. It's just nuts.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I have to answer strange numbers. Sometimes it’s a new potential client. I answer my own phone. I have my office number routed to my cell phone. Also, when I’m in the office, since Covid, they don’t let the lunch delivery people come upstairs, so they call from the lobby. They have all kinds of strange area codes. At least I know approximately when to expect their call. 

All "newer" area codes are weird.  Until maybe 10-15 years ago, the middle number was always a 0 or 1.  Now, you get area codes like 437 (that's the area code UberEats uses...at least around here) or something like that.  Delivery apps typically hide the delivery person's actual area code for privacy reasons.  Once the food's at your door, you won't be able to contact them anymore.  

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Occasionally I get messages in Chinese.

I thought I was the only one this happened to!  I am trying to figure out the logic behind whoever is doing this.  Maybe I don't really want to know.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm pretty sure a thousand miles back in the wrong direction when the package was already an hour or two from my house isn't a variable. It's just nuts.

You’re right, I agree.  My Son was a UPS Driver for fifteen years.  There’s so many things we don’t know about operations and what goes on.  They do try their best tho, and he has a broken back to show for it.

23 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

You’re right, I agree.  My Son was a UPS Driver for fifteen years.  There’s so many things we don’t know about operations and what goes on.  They do try their best tho, and he has a broken back to show for it.

Oh, that's awful. I hope it was a long time ago and that he's all better now. I swear no one will get a broken back from my little package. It can't weigh more than a pound.

Well, I knew that if I waited long enough, I'd find something to be peeved about today. I just decided to make some pizza dough, so I took the flour canister out of the pantry. When I opened it up, I first thought it looked like whole-wheat flour. There were these tiny speckles all over the surface. But I knew it was the all-purpose canister. Looking closer, I saw that the teeny whole-wheat specks were moving. Bugs!

I Googled, and they're flour mites. They can come into the house already in the bag of flour. Lovely. So now I'll be freezing every bag of flour I buy to kill them before they can gross me out. And there goes the pizza.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

UPS adventures! I hope your package shows up soon.

• Love 2