Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On my microwave to turn on the timer, I have to push timer, then the number, then timer again.

On my oven to turn on the timer, I have to push timer, then the number, then start.

These are matching appliances that are part of a set. Both have start buttons, but whether start starts the timer or cancels out is different between them. Whyyyyy.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Just one hour after I typed out that ragefest upthread, the upstairs neighbors overflowed their tub and water came dripping through our bathroom ceiling AGAIN. I HATE THIS PLACE.

Sorry to hear that you are still having issues with your dishwasher!

If it is only about a year old maybe management can get a whole new unit covered by the manufacturers warranty. Also sounds like from your previous problems it may be a malfunctioning circuit board.

In reguard to the overflow from the tub/shower above sounds like a slow drain caused by a blockage (9 times out of 10 its HAIR) causing the drain and waste & overflow to seek relief by unfortunately leaking thru down to your unit.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

In reguard to the overflow from the tub/shower above sounds like a slow drain caused by a blockage (9 times out of 10 its HAIR) causing the drain and waste & overflow to seek relief by unfortunately leaking thru down to your unit.

Yes, but there's also the instance when the blocked pipe gets an assist in going all Niagara Falls on the floor below because someone leaves the water running, as my overworked, overtired, pregnant daughter did. Fortunately their homeowners insurance is going to cover it, and I was actually glad to have them come use my shower last night because there is very little that I can ever offer them. 

But, yes, about appliances being built with planned obsolescence:  
Before the pandemic was really getting started, an appliance salesman at (I think?) Best Buy told me that new refrigerators are only built to last 5 years!

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But, yes, about appliances being built with planned obsolescence:  
Before the pandemic was really getting started, an appliance salesman at (I think?) Best Buy told me that new refrigerators are only built to last 5 years!

True, and more $$'s don't in most cases equate to better or durable.

Thats why I love our smaller independent OG appliance vendor, he knows what to buy and what to stay away from.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm sick of things being made to the absolute lowest standards and breaking almost immediately. The maintenance guy FINALLY just fixed our dishwasher for the third(??) time. I have no doubt that the piece of shit will break again. It was installed one year ago. My first service call was five weeks ago, so we've basically been without it for that long. It worked maybe four cycles here and there.

I bought a new home "office" chair because the hydraulics were shot in my boyfriend's chair that he got for free when someone moved out. I had the chair 12 WHOLE DAYS when one of the wheels broke. I'm so angry about this. The chair sucks in the first place. The pre-drilled holes in the seat didn't line up, so I couldn't get all four bolts to anchor the seat to the frame. It's uncomfortable, and I've had to order pads to try to make it comfortable. It's regularly $120, but I got it for $85 with tax. I felt like that was a decent amount of money for a home office chair, but I guess not. I feel like a huge sucker because of all I've had to lay out to make this chair useable when I just should've spent more on a higher-quality chair in the first place.

I tried to get another wheel for the chair but the manufacturer doesn't make just the wheels. The vendor is sending me a new chair for free. I wish I had just stopped when I was putting it together and saw it wouldn't fit correctly because that was a red flag. I'm mad at myself and the chair.

AND! I ordered a video doorbell (not a Ring because I don't have Ring money) because one of my packages was stolen a few weeks ago. I also ordered a theft-proof door mount for the doorbell. I got the doorbell yesterday but the mount had arrived a couple weeks ago. I hadn't opened the mount box until last night when I went to set up the doorbell. The mount looked like someone had tied it up to their car and dragged it behind them. It was scratched all to hell. How it would've gotten scratched like it was is something I cannot begin to understand. This is a box that is mounted on one's door. I asked the vendor for a return and a new one is being sent to me.

I had a complete meltdown last night. On Friday morning at the ungodly hour of 8:05, I go to the gastroenterologist on the other side of the county because I still have no relief from my symptoms, and I'm about six weeks into THAT. I'm fucking EXHAUSTED.

Our lives appear to be sympatico Bilgistic, not that that's any comfort.

I can't recall if I ever suggested this in prior discussions about your dishwasher, but I learned after spending north of $200 bux the first time it happened, that the control panel on my dw needs a reboot once in a while.  Since unplugging and replugging isn't an option as it's a slide-in, I simply reset the breaker.  It's worked 2 or 3 times now, when I had no lights on the control panel.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 3
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm sick of things being made to the absolute lowest standards and breaking almost immediately.

One of the maintenance guys that was fixing our washing machine few years ago (every one that we got in last 10 or so years only lasted a little over 2 years) flat out told us that these things are now made not to last. There is a constant supply of new models and there has to be demand for it. And often when you want something fixed, the price is too high in contrast to just buying a new product. I hate this system, as it not only forces me to constantly adapt to new technology (I dislike changes in general) but also creates so much unnecessary waste that is bad for environment.

Speaking of environment, there was a discussion in some topic recently about palm oil, I believe. I would very much like to avoid it, both because of it not being good to eat and because of the environment, but that shit is everywhere. I was just yesterday reading the ingredients on some fruit bars that are reportedly also good for small children and those contained palm oil.

It's so time consuming and expensive to try to eat healthy and environmentally conscious. An average person does not have time to prepare all their food for themselves and doesn't have the money to buy only healthy options. The same goes for clothing. I hate polyester, but there are so few options to buy affordable clothes from natural materials these days. And the burden to be environmentally conscious is always placed on consumers and not on producers or governments. They say that people want to buy and eat cheap junk. Well, of course if that is all they can afford or all that is available.

Rant over.

• Love 7

I am sure this is already here somewhere, I may have even posted about it, so sorry if you've heard it from me before. I am sick of app or update requests that only give you an option for "not now" or "yes" or "get started" Right now I keep getting some kind of request to install a driving focus app on my iPhone. No idea what it is, but there is no "no", only "not now" or "get started". I need a "not ever, leave me alone" button.

• Love 13

It's Dece,ber 17th and I'm in New England...and I'm in shorts and have a window open because it went into the low 60s today. It's winter, god damn it, start acting like it, Mother Nature.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ABay said:

It's Dece,ber 17th and I'm in New England...and I'm in shorts and have a window open because it went into the low 60s today. It's winter, god damn it, start acting like it, Mother Nature.

It was in the 60s and 70s here in Iowa this past Wednesday, too. We had a freaking tornado watch, and there were tornado warnings throughout my state. A town in the county just east of ours got hit by a tornado and caused some damage. My town was under a severe thunderstorm warning. And up in Minnesota, they recorded their first tornado ever in December. 

And all of this happened after the area got a snowstorm just last weekend. All that snow is now gone thanks to that brief warm up, and I don't know about Minnesota, but here in Iowa, it feels like winter temperature-wise again, but there is no chance of snow on the horizon anytime between now and Christmas. 

As someone who likes snow and is used to white Christmases, needless to say, I really hate this setup. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

It was in the 60s here today. I'm good with it. If I could wear flip-flops year-round, I'd be happy.

Ditto. I always wanted to move to where it doesn't snow but for family reasons that is not going to happen in my lifetime.
Maybe you and I are a teensy bit responsible for global warming because we keep hoping it will stay warm in the winter. 

5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

If I could wear flip-flops year-round, I'd be happy. My boyfriend calls them "the devil's hooves".

Wait. What? Why?

• Love 2

Texas here. Over the last three weeks it's gone from the 80s to the 40s to the 80s to the 40s over and over. My allergies are about to kill me and I got a damn mosquito bite last weekend. In December. I hate this. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wait. What? Why?

He hates flip-flops.🤷‍♀️ To be fair, I have had two toe injuries (same toe!) while wearing flip-flops, but I will never give them up! They are convenient and comfortable!*

*The flip-flops I wear have a molded footbed; they aren't the rubber $1 jobbies with the plastic strap.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

It is going to snow on me today, which never fails to put me in the very FOULEST humour imaginable.  Someday I need to move somewhere free of the hell known as “a New England winter”.

Edited by Caoimhe
47 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

It is going to snow on me today, which never fails to put me in the very FOULEST humour imaginable.  Someday I need to move somewhere free of the hell known as “a New England winter”.

Ditto.   
*Le grande sigh* 😔 

BD794C4A-CFD1-47D3-8C74-B92B4D77A339.jpeg

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

He hates flip-flops.🤷‍♀️ To be fair, I have had two toe injuries (same toe!) while wearing flip-flops, but I will never give them up! They are convenient and comfortable!*

*The flip-flops I wear have a molded footbed; they aren't the rubber $1 jobbies with the plastic strap.

Flip flops FOREVER!!!!!!!

My peeve: I wrote a shopping list. I remembered to take it to the store and use it. I forgot something ON the list and I forgot to put like 5 other things on the list, so those were forgotten and now I have to go back to the store. Though this time I'm going to Target for the rest of stuff and last night I was at Publix.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My peeve: I wrote a shopping list. I remembered to take it to the store and use it. I forgot something ON the list and I forgot to put like 5 other things on the list, so those were forgotten and now I have to go back to the store. Though this time I'm going to Target for the rest of stuff and last night I was at Publix.

👆This is par for the course for me.

I always flash back to my mom coming home after grocery shopping and saying with a sigh, “Start me a list!”

• LOL 2

This is going to sound so petty, and for that I’m sorry, but here goes. 

My work did a secret Santa via a website that, very conveniently for the Santas, offers a wish list with links to various things within the set dollar amount. So I filled it in with GCs and small things (because I’d have to travel home with it). One thing was soy wax melts in a specific scent that, 1) I like, and 2) I am not allergic to. Well, my well-meaning Santa went rogue and sent me 3 other smells that are non-soy. I am allergic to 2 of them (and also just prefer the soy versions). So now I have to regift or trash them.

ETA: Not really a “regift”; more like a “do you want this?” And the one I may not be allergic to does not smell good!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

My work did a secret Santa via a website that, very conveniently for the Santas, offers a wish list with links to various things within the set dollar amount. So I filled it in with GCs and small things (because I’d have to travel home with it). One thing was soy wax melts in a specific scent that, 1) I like, and 2) I am not allergic to. Well, my well-meaning Santa went rogue and sent me 3 other smells that are non-soy. I am allergic to 2 of them (and also just prefer the soy versions). So now I have to regift or trash them.

Heh. If it makes you feel better in comparison:

Whenever the Department Assistant put a plug-in air freshener in the small supply room that opened into my work area, I would remove it and put it in the garbage.

I don’t know if she ever saw them in the garbage, or if she thought someone was taking them to use in their office (it was the “supply” closet) but eventually she stopped putting them in there.

Would it have been better if I had asked her not to do that because of allergies and migraines? Probably. But then I would feel like a not-so-special, Snowflake.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

ETA: Not really a “regift”; more like a “do you want this?” And the one I may not be allergic to does not smell good!

This isn't petty at all. First, bleh to "secret Santa" at work. The workplace is not a place for gifting!!! Why am I the only person who thinks this? Second, I exclusively buy soy candles from two small businesses because they burn cleaner and don't use petroleum.

The apartment complex finally sent people to "fix" the bathroom ceiling (and what a job they did😑). The paint fumes were horrendous. I burned in there a non-soy candle that my boyfriend's sister gave me for Christmas last year. The difference between that candle and my soy candles was staggering--the choking scent, the smoky offput. At one point, I wondered which was worse--the paint fumes or the candle scent.

Donate the trash candles to Goodwill, and someone will buy them for Christmas.

• Love 2

Speaking of candles, I have been advised not to light any tonight because…

we just got back into the condo after an hour sitting in the car with the horrified cats, surrounded by fire trucks, because…

my neighbor drilled into a gas pipe while trying to hang a TV on his living room wall…

on the other side of which, directly opposite, is  his oven.

1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

Speaking of candles, I have been advised not to light any tonight because…

we just got back into the condo after an hour sitting in the car with the horrified cats, surrounded by fire trucks, because…

my neighbor drilled into a gas pipe while trying to hang a TV on his living room wall…

on the other side of which, directly opposite, is  his oven.

Mega bummer for all involved!   
Even if it’s cold 🥶 outside, maybe open the windows at least a crack?

• Love 2

Gas is like electricity; it's nowhere near as dangerous as people fear, but so few have been taught when it is, it's better for the authorities to just say "don't touch it" or "don't light anything".

I'm glad it was just an inconvenience for you, and, yeah, your neighbor must be mighty embarrassed.  That's a pretty dumb move, not to consider the existence of a gas pipe in the wall given the configuration (and I guess he figured he was hitting a stud, not a pipe, when he encountered resistance, but they sound different and even feel different), but people have strange lapses sometimes. This sounds like someone who's not as handy as he thinks, though.

Poor kitties!  I mean, bad enough for you, but you knew what was happening and that it would be okay.  They were completely out of sorts, I'm sure.  I hope they settled back in quickly and you all got some good sleep.

• Love 9

At least the neighbors were embarrassed and apologized, too. I've got a few neighbors who would do that and then probably blame the pipe for being in their way in the first place. These are the same neighbors who are gearing up to set off fireworks from Christmas Eve till New Year's day.

• Love 4

That’s what it was—he was using a stud finder and it doesn’t differentiate, I guess. Personally, I would consider that placement not just because I realize the stove is directly opposite, but because the living rooms are longer the other way; with my vision, my couch would not be far away enough from the TV.

The worst of it for me is trying to wrangle the cats; I got one into the carrier and almost had the other when another fireman banged on the door, causing him to hide under the bed. Then there’s my obsessive brain checking the carriers’ zippers 20 times! And afterward, the what-ifs.

• Love 4

Being used to get close to someone. 

Anyone else ever in this position? There's a woman I used to work with. She's very sweet but a self-proclaimed man's woman who was way nicer to the men in the office. I know the only reason she still texts me is because she wants a link to someone I know. 

On 12/18/2021 at 11:03 AM, bilgistic said:

Donate the trash candles to Goodwill, and someone will buy them for Christmas.

Donate the trash candles to a local thrift shop benefiting a cause you can get behind, not Goodwill! They are an organization that takes advantage of people that would not be able to easily get employment elsewhere and pays them pennies on the dollar for their labor.

(This is a pet peeve of mine...just cause they run swell commercials doesn't mean they are swell. We have a local group of stores here in central California called Achievement House and they also employ people with mental or physical challenges and pay them a more equitable salary.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Being used to get close to someone. 

Anyone else ever in this position?

Slightly different setup, but yes. 

I used to work in local TV news, and I was friends with some of the anchors. In our small city, they are major celebrities. When we used to go out to clubs, all the sudden all these people I hadn't spoken to in YEARS would come out of the woodwork wanting to "catch up" with me. (Mind you, I'm not the kind of person who people seek out at a party. I'm the quiet, sarcastic one in the corner.)

I wasn't completely naive to what was happening; at first I loved it, thinking, "hey, I'm finally in the cool crowd!" But these people never followed up with me after, or came up when I was out with other friends. It became obvious it wasn't about me AT ALL. I was just an excuse to come up to our group and meet the famous people. A conversation-starter. It was very lowering.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, isalicat said:

Donate the trash candles to a local thrift shop benefiting a cause you can get behind, not Goodwill! They are an organization that takes advantage of people that would not be able to easily get employment elsewhere and pays them pennies on the dollar for their labor.

(This is a pet peeve of mine...just cause they run swell commercials doesn't mean they are swell. We have a local group of stores here in central California called Achievement House and they also employ people with mental or physical challenges and pay them a more equitable salary.)

Same with Salvation Army. They are terrible organizations that have society snowed. I donate HHGs to the local Habitat for Humanity reStore. I also make them my first place to stop when I am in the mood to do some decorating. I scored a kick-ass wall hanging for my bedroom for $5. I'm sure it would have gone for close to $100 at Marshall's or anywhere else.

When people donate clothes they are typically shipped over-seas, or turned into rags. Very few clothes make it to the actual community. Before I moved to GA I used to bring over winter clothing to the local church who ran a homeless outreach. They literally take jackets and cold-weather gear and give it to people on the streets, or people coming in for a hot meal. I have a lot of issues with organized religion but I find the local churches to be a great resource to help the community.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

Petty pet peeve but I am getting really tired of commercials on TV.  Not the regular ones but the way they shrink the screen to have a pop up in the corner - or even HALF the screen - promoting a product or an upcoming TV show or whatever.  Yes, because there aren't enough advertisements on TV already let's advertise in the middle of the show we're actually watching as well.

And while I'm venting - was there a recent relaxing of regulations or something but I see advert after advert for casinos and other gambling sites that never used to be on TV before.  Not to defend tobacco companies but it's not ok to advertise an addictive product like cigarettes but it's fine to promote gambling which can be very addictive and I've seen compulsive gambling ruin lives, 

• Love 12

I’m always cleaning out the closets and cabinets (especially over the last year or two) and frequently drop stuff at our Goodwill — which I also prowl around a lot for stuff. More than once, I’ve seen the very shoes and boots and clothing I left there! (And more than once, I almost wanted them back again.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Or the time I decided to put all my DVDs in paper little envelopes within some dollar-store fabric bins to save space in a cabinet in our LR — and it did! It was amazing! It’s a bit of a pain when I want one, but that’s rare lately (the real pain-in-the-ass part was figuring out what to do with nonrecyclable plastic cases, ugh (luckily, a library wanted them all!). Anyway, I also donated DVDs I didn’t want, including The OC, because it was on Hulu anyway. Or so I thought! Oh my goodness, I almost went back to Goodwill to buy my own stuff, haha! Turns out, it’s on HBO Max, so I’m fine now!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

’m always cleaning out the closets and cabinets (especially over the last year or two) and frequently drop stuff at our Goodwill — which I also prowl around a lot for stuff. More than once, I’ve seen the very shoes and boots and clothing I left there! (And more than once, I almost wanted them back again.)

Me too, I donated a ton of stuff when I moved a couple years ago and shortly after went there to browse and saw many of my items.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2021 at 9:45 AM, theredhead77 said:

Same with Salvation Army. They are terrible organizations that have society snowed. I donate HHGs to the local Habitat for Humanity reStore. I also make them my first place to stop when I am in the mood to do some decorating. I scored a kick-ass wall hanging for my bedroom for $5. I'm sure it would have gone for close to $100 at Marshall's or anywhere else.

When people donate clothes they are typically shipped over-seas, or turned into rags. Very few clothes make it to the actual community. Before I moved to GA I used to bring over winter clothing to the local church who ran a homeless outreach. They literally take jackets and cold-weather gear and give it to people on the streets, or people coming in for a hot meal. I have a lot of issues with organized religion but I find the local churches to be a great resource to help the community.

A local church in my neighborhood in NYC gives away donated clothes, so I like to donate to them.  They have the clients come in for a "shopping" day when they can browse the racks.

Salvation Army really gets my goat.  They were running a couple of SRO hotels for seniors here in NYC for many years.  Then they just sold the properties for a bundle.  The seniors had to relocate.  SA is still housing them, but in other neighborhoods.

Also, they have a strong bootstraps philosophy, so they don't buy into coddling the disabled--otherwise known as obeying the law against discrimination.  I had an elderly client who lived in one of the hotels and she was told not to use her wheelchair in the lobby.  They didn't want anyone to be offended by having to see this noxious display.  This is the essence of stigmatizing discrimination.  Other people were told not to use their walkers on the cafeteria line.  I had to write to the Major, who ran the hotel, and then I got a nasty answer back from an aggressive attorney at one of NYC's big law firms.  I think these firms work pro bono for these matters.  They think they're performing a service.  SA thinks they should have a religious exemption for some of these issues, and they try to avoid liability by not accepting government funds, but they're not exempt from certain NYC and NYS laws under this circumstance.  This was more than 20 years ago, but it still burns me up. 

• Love 3

I usually give any donations I have to my housekeeper. Her church welcomes immigrants from Brazil (primarily) who arrive with very little, and has a room set up with donations that they can use to start setting up a new home here. Occasionally she will keep something but usually she takes everything to her church. I like knowing that the items will help out someone instead in the community, instead of being shipped elsewhere or put in a landfill (which sometimes charities do apparently). 

• Love 6

I won't give to Goodwill or Salvation Army, either, or anything church based.  There is a domestic violence shelter nearby that I know very well as I used to run the legal clinic, plus two organizations providing services for those experiencing homelessness that I've researched fairly thoroughly, so between those three, Habitat For Humanity's ReStore, and my local Freecycle group, I'm able to get pretty much anything I no longer need into the hands of someone who does.

It's a shame some of the worst organizations are the most popular.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It's a shame some of the worst organizations are the most popular.

Agreed. Their marketing team does a great job of making them seem awesome. There are numerous articles from repubatle, unbiased, publications availabe online for anyone who is curious about how awful both Goodwill and Salvation Army really are.

• Love 2
On 12/17/2021 at 6:37 PM, emma675 said:

Texas here. Over the last three weeks it's gone from the 80s to the 40s to the 80s to the 40s over and over. My allergies are about to kill me and I got a damn mosquito bite last weekend. In December. I hate this. 

Its going to be 82 here in Texas for Christmas!! 🤔

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Was it here or Chit Chat where posters were bemoaning the Christmas season? I heard this on QI and looked for it online: "...through the Dark and into the Middle Ages, or Medieval time, the Christmas season was celebrated from Hallow’s Eve to Candlemas."

Candlemas is Feb. 2.

So, you know, things could be worse.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

WELP. My (vaccinated, not yet boostered) friend has Covid. She just finished her first semester of law school in Kentucky. We were planning to meet in Asheville on the 1st for a few days together. I was starting to get nervous about going. Thankfully, I booked a refundable hotel room. I'm really sad we won't be getting together. I haven't seen her since she moved in July.

We'll be going to visit my boyfriend's family on Friday. I'm not really looking forward to it because 1) it's going to be a house full of people 2) who are only maybe vaccinated...? I don't even know two of the guests. No one has had their boosters except us. My boyfriend's father (early 80s) has had some health issues lately, so he won't get a booster, and for some reason, my boyfriend's perfectly healthy mother won't either.

Meanwhile, I have so far unsolved raging diarrhea (colonoscopy and endoscopy on January 21!), but I'm traveling halfway across the state for these people. I don't think it's too much to ask that people be boostered.

I love my boyfriend and his family, but I'd rather be home.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2