Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I avoid doctors, and recently had my first prescription in about 7 years.  They have made the caps even more child proof????

I blame it all on the idiot parents who won't keep the Tide Pods out of their children's reach. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Oh, and oh my goodness, the worst packaging I ever had to deal with was the Hello brand of mouthwash, which was awesome. But it was an odd-shaped bottle that had that plastic ring that you pull off. I could never get a good grip on the bottle and pull the ring easily. And it would always finally come loose with a damn vengeance and result in half the bottle spilling out. Ugh. 

This topic reminds me of a "hack" I once saw about struggling with those hard plastic packages that need to be cut open (like on, say, batteries or a curling iron or something), The hack said that if you needed to open one of those but didn't have scissors handy, you could use a manual can opener. Great, sure it probably works, but where am I that I have no access to everyday scissors, but do have a can opener?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, and oh my goodness, the worst packaging I ever had to deal with was the Hello brand of mouthwash, which was awesome. But it was an odd-shaped bottle that had that plastic ring that you pull off. I could never get a good grip on the bottle and pull the ring easily. And it would always finally come loose with a damn vengeance and result in half the bottle spilling out. Ugh. 

This topic reminds me of a "hack" I once saw about struggling with those hard plastic packages that need to be cut open (like on, say, batteries or a curling iron or something), The hack said that if you needed to open one of those but didn't have scissors handy, you could use a manual can opener. Great, sure it probably works, but where am I that I have no access to everyday scissors, but do have a can opener?

You are in your house, but one of your children has wandered off with your scissors and has no idea where they are now. The children would never wander off with a can opener. It might suggest work. If you don't have children, I have no idea where the scissors went.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, auntlada said:

You are in your house, but one of your children has wandered off with your scissors and has no idea where they are now. The children would never wander off with a can opener. It might suggest work. If you don't have children, I have no idea where the scissors went.

WHO TOOK THE GOOD SCISSORS??!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Or your husband...

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

Hahahahaha! No kids and that does make sense (and the kids I would have would probably RUN with scissors, the little hypothetical jerks). But I THINK the dumb hack meant, like, if you were away from home—say, in the car needing to open a new phone charger thing, or maybe at work? I don’t know; it was a terrible TV show about “life hacks” and all of the suggestions seemed to be more trouble than NOT “hacking” at all.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1

People who won't take no for an answer!  I've just ended up making an appointment with a radiation oncologist for my mother even though my mother AND her doctor have agreed that she should not pursue radiation therapy for her cancer.  The person calling from the hospital though would absolutely not let me hang up without making an appointment for her to meet with a doctor to have the exact same conversation she has already had to reach the decision she has already made.  

30 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Certain cable TV news spending almost 99% of their airtime covering a sports celeb's car accident. I continue to be dumbfounded.

I have found a lot of times they use it as a distraction too. There are plenty of places to go find news about celebrities. Keep the regular and local news about news of the area, US and world. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

People who won't take no for an answer!  I've just ended up making an appointment with a radiation oncologist for my mother even though my mother AND her doctor have agreed that she should not pursue radiation therapy for her cancer.  The person calling from the hospital though would absolutely not let me hang up without making an appointment for her to meet with a doctor to have the exact same conversation she has already had to reach the decision she has already made.  

$$$

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just hang up on them?

• Love 7

People who are dismissive of other people's talents/hard work/good qualities. It actually really breaks my heart, especially when someone doesn't see the good in their own loved ones. That homemaker who works really hard, but gets yelled at because dinner's running late. That intelligent guy who's endlessly made fun of for mispronouncing something. The elderly woman who's extremely beautiful but shamed for having the audacity to age. That man who's ridiculed for working two jobs rather than appreciated for his work ethic. That child whose talents are ignored but gets scolded for making a B in one subject. That immigrant who speaks multiple languages but is called stupid because there is the occasional error in her English. That person who's very kindhearted, but is defined by the worst mistake of his life. I 100% believe in constructive criticism and there are jerks in this world who need to be called out, but I really wish more people would try to celebrate other people's positive qualities and accomplishments. We get more of that good from one another when we do. 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you just hang up on them?

Too damn polite!  The woman was so insistent that I was also second guessing myself thinking that surely the people at the hospital know what we're supposed to be doing - as if there is only one way to handle a cancer diagnosis and somehow we are doing something wrong.  It was only when I hung up - finally!! - that I thought "what the hell". Also it doesn't help when you are making appointments etc for someone else.  I touched base afterwards with my mother who very emphatically reiterated that she is not going to have radiation therapy,  Period.  Full stop.

But yeah I think I'd like to feel that I've grown more assertive as I've gotten older (and I have) but not nearly as assertive as I should be!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Too damn polite!  The woman was so insistent that I was also second guessing myself thinking that surely the people at the hospital know what we're supposed to be doing - as if there is only one way to handle a cancer diagnosis and somehow we are doing something wrong.  It was only when I hung up - finally!! - that I thought "what the hell". Also it doesn't help when you are making appointments etc for someone else.  I touched base afterwards with my mother who very emphatically reiterated that she is not going to have radiation therapy,  Period.  Full stop.

But yeah I think I'd like to feel that I've grown more assertive as I've gotten older (and I have) but not nearly as assertive as I should be!

I would call back and cancel the appointment and ask to speak to the office manager. Your mom is in charge of her health and if she doesn't want an appointment, she can't be forced to make one. I would let the office manager know you were very uncomfortable with the scheduler, you felt forced into making an appointment no one wanted and her doctor told her she didn't need, and you don't require any further contact from their office. 

• Love 12
On 2/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, BexKeps said:

I don't think they select horrible dresses on purpose or to make the BM's look bad, the problem is the BRIDE likes them. My sister picked out and made the ugliest bridesmaid dresses for her wedding, Royal satin blue with a paisely blue & red patterned skirt. Myself and the other BM's were horrified to be seen in them but my sister thought they were da bomb! Still talks today about how wonderful those dresses were. They were butt ugly.

I think the mistake most bride's make is thinking one-style-fits-all. Not everyone looks good in mermaid style or a sweetheart neckline. Bride's that allow the BM's to pick out a style that they feel good in get high points from me.

Was your sister married in the 70's or 80's? just curious . 

• Love 1

17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

People who are dismissive of other people's talents/hard work/good qualities. It actually really breaks my heart, especially when someone doesn't see the good in their own loved ones. That homemaker who works really hard, but gets yelled at because dinner's running late. That intelligent guy who's endlessly made fun of for mispronouncing something. The elderly woman who's extremely beautiful but shamed for having the audacity to age. That man who's ridiculed for working two jobs rather than appreciated for his work ethic. That child whose talents are ignored but gets scolded for making a B in one subject. That immigrant who speaks multiple languages but is called stupid because there is the occasional error in her English. That person who's very kindhearted, but is defined by the worst mistake of his life. I 100% believe in constructive criticism and there are jerks in this world who need to be called out, but I really wish more people would try to celebrate other people's positive qualities and accomplishments. We get more of that good from one another when we do. 

I hope you don't actually know a lot of people who exhibit these behaviours; it sounds awful.

The flip side, of course, is the current ridiculousness of giving every child in every class/extracurricular activity an award.  Yeah, you failed every class/were late the few times you deigned to come to school/bullied your classmates/missed every practice and game after the first, so we'll give you two crappy cups - for worst student and biggest jerk.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, peacheslatour said:

I have a huge peeve right now. Chrome for some reason lost it's Solitaire web app and have replaced it with one that I absolutely HATE. I just hate it. Are there any other good Solitaire games I could get instead?

https://cardgames.io/cribbage/

This is a link to cribbage, but the site has lots of other games, including Solitaire.  I spend way too much time there!

(Anyone else grow up calling Solitaire Patience?  I have fond memories of helping my Grandma turn the cards when she no longer had the dexterity herself.  Definitely not a Peeve.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Leeds said:

The flip side, of course, is the current ridiculousness of giving every child in every class/extracurricular activity an award. 

I don't know if I'd call that current.  They were doing this when my son was in elementary school in the '90s.  And kids are on to it.  I can still remember him coming home with a ribbon and me congratulating him only to have him tell me "they give these if you just show up".

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I don't know if I'd call that current.  They were doing this when my son was in elementary school in the '90s.  And kids are on to it.  I can still remember him coming home with a ribbon and me congratulating him only to have him tell me "they give these if you just show up".

Participation trophies are so eighties.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The thing that stands out for me (and I hope this isn't still happening) was the parental push to get their kid into the gifted program.  It was brutal.

I never did that but my son's  high school sure did. Although I'm glad they did because it allowed him to graduate with honors.

24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Then how come I didn’t get any?😆😆😆

I earned the few ribbons and awards I got in the 70s. And when I lost, didn’t get anything. And I turned out okay. Jeebus.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
On 2/21/2021 at 6:58 PM, peacheslatour said:

I have a huge peeve right now. Chrome for some reason lost it's Solitaire web app and have replaced it with one that I absolutely HATE. I just hate it. Are there any other good Solitaire games I could get instead?

I use classic-solitaire.com. It's just the basic solitaire which is what I prefer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That's what I want to do but Google won't let me. I have to use their Klondike version or nothing.

When I got a new phone and tried to set up my Solitaire site (via Chrome), I kept getting the wrong Solitaire--until *finally* this one worked. It was a real PITA & I went through this nonsense twice cause my first new phone died thanks to malware. I just kept workin' that url until the "right" Solitaire popped up.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then how come I didn’t get any?😆😆😆

I earned the few ribbons and awards I got in the 70s. And when I lost, didn’t get anything. And I turned out okay. Jeebus.

I feel like I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a trophy.  I won a red ribbon (2nd place) at a camp horse show.  And I got a few certificates at our high school's yearly academic awards.  But, no trophies.  Even my older sister has a participation trophy.  I guess I didn't participate enough.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel like I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a trophy.  I won a red ribbon (2nd place) at a camp horse show.  And I got a few certificates at our high school's yearly academic awards.  But, no trophies.  Even my older sister has a participation trophy.  I guess I didn't participate enough.

I won a math prize in grade 4.  A medallion hanging from a ribbon.  It was all downhill from there....

My pet peeve of the day:  people insulting others by saying "ok boomer" (which in and of itself is annoying) but they are directing this at people in their 40s and  early 50s.  Boomers are not by definition "people older than me".

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My pet peeve of the day:  people insulting others by saying "ok boomer" (which in and of itself is annoying) but they are directing this at people in their 40s and  early 50s.  Boomers are not by definition "people older than me".

On a related note, I saw an article about "millennial" trends and it was descirbing people 20-25.  I'm pretty sure, that's gen Z.  So, by definition millennial is not people younger than me.  

OTOH, can we just stop with all this generation generalization (I feel this needs to be a book title or something, it's fun to say).   Yes, it's useful for marketing.  But, do we need to apply it to every aspect of life?

• Love 9

I think of participation awards as a '90s thing, something that came along after my time, but maybe I just went to schools in the '70s and '80s that didn't do them - the only trophies/ribbons I got were for first-place wins.  Maybe some certificates for second place.  We didn't get anything for just participating (other than, you know, having fun, challenging ourselves, and learning how to be a good sport, win or lose).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I got a new phone and tried to set up my Solitaire site (via Chrome), I kept getting the wrong Solitaire--until *finally* this one worked. It was a real PITA & I went through this nonsense twice cause my first new phone died thanks to malware. I just kept workin' that url until the "right" Solitaire popped up.

Google/Chrome is a real PITA about it. I'm now using their new one after I disabled to "auto" feature. It would basically play the cards for you, automatically pulling aces, twos and other cards before I wanted them to be played. I have a ridiculously strict set of rules I play by e.g. in order to win both black kings have to be on the far left, the red kings on the far right. Thanks everyone for all your advice!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@peacheslatour:  You're a better person than I.  Most times I play my simple Solitaire, I must start when a black Ace pops up.  Once in a blue moon I'll start a game if a red ace pops up but they usually are an omen to me that things will not go well.  So, I guess...I cheat 😏

I guess I do too then. I won't play unless I can make at least two moves, I just start a new game until I get a combo where there are some playable moves. Interesting that you don't like the red cards either. My favorite way to start is if there are playable cards on the far right to start. That far right pile is usually a treasure trove.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think of participation awards as a '90s thing, something that came along after my time, but maybe I just went to schools in the '70s and '80s that didn't do them - the only trophies/ribbons I got were for first-place wins.  Maybe some certificates for second place.  We didn't get anything for just participating (other than, you know, having fun, challenging ourselves, and learning how to be a good sport, win or lose).

Same. And from what I recall, those awards tended to be given out more to placate the parents than the kids, because the parents were the ones who got all upset at the idea that their kid didn't win something or wasn't perfect. Or adults were worried that some kids might feel left out if they didn't get something. If a kid did get upset at not winning a trophy or an award, they also generally got over it pretty quickly (and a kid getting upset makes sense, because they're a kid. It's the adult's job to teach them that it's okay to lose sometimes, and how to lose gracefully at that)..

Which is why I've never understood the sneering from some people out there about how young people "just want participation trophies" nowadays. They aren't the ones who came up with the idea, and they're not the ones giving them out or even demanding them (some have even said they hate getting those kinds of things because it makes it harder to tell whether or not the praise and congratulations they're getting are genuine). That's on the adults. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Same. And from what I recall, those awards tended to be given out more to placate the parents than the kids, because the parents were the ones who got all upset at the idea that their kid didn't win something or wasn't perfect. Or adults were worried that some kids might feel left out if they didn't get something. If a kid did get upset at not winning a trophy or an award, they also generally got over it pretty quickly (and a kid getting upset makes sense, because they're a kid. It's the adult's job to teach them that it's okay to lose sometimes, and how to lose gracefully at that)..

Which is why I've never understood the sneering from some people out there about how young people "just want participation trophies" nowadays. They aren't the ones who came up with the idea, and they're not the ones giving them out or even demanding them (some have even said they hate getting those kinds of things because it makes it harder to tell whether or not the praise and congratulations they're getting are genuine). That's on the adults. 

Excellent point.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yup, they're frequently associated with millennials. Speaking as one, I don't think most people feel special getting something EVERYONE does. I posted earlier how I don't like for folks to be picked apart and that the positive in all of us should be especially celebrated by our loved ones. For example, if your kid struggles with math but excels at piano, don't call him stupid for struggling with math. Try to help him understand it better and be sure to celebrate his musical talent. Stuff like that makes a much bigger different than a participation trophy imo.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Yup, they're frequently associated with millennials. Speaking as one, I don't think most people feel special getting something EVERYONE does. I posted earlier how I don't like for folks to be picked apart and that the positive in all of us should be especially celebrated by our loved ones. For example, if your kid struggles with math but excels at piano, don't call him stupid for struggling with math. Try to help him understand it better and be sure to celebrate his musical talent. Stuff like that makes a much bigger different than a participation trophy imo.

Fellow millennial here, and I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think that's a much better way to go (and as someone who often struggled with math, I was always happy when I found someone who could help me with it in a way that didn't frustrate the both of us :p). 

• Love 4

I have no problem with kids being recognized for their efforts. Not every kid is the next future star, but they all came out (well, their parents brought them out) and generally had fun and learned something, so they deserve recognition.  My issue is with the actual physical trophies! Raising 3 kids in the 90’s-00’s, we pretty much ran out of shelf space. Give ‘em a sticker, or a gift card for an ice cream cone. I should have invested in cheap trophy manufacturers in the early 90’s!  Save the trophies for the grownups who win the Super Bowl or the Nobel prize or whatever. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Award ceremonies have been my bane for years because in every school I've been at the teachers themselves announce the awards in the auditorium and it's a big school assembly. I have a severe phobia of public speaking and always have a panic attack about presenting the award. I've even taken the day off just to avoid speaking at the assembly.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have no problem with kids being recognized for their efforts. Not every kid is the next future star, but they all came out (well, their parents brought them out) and generally had fun and learned something, so they deserve recognition.  My issue is with the actual physical trophies! Raising 3 kids in the 90’s-00’s, we pretty much ran out of shelf space. Give ‘em a sticker, or a gift card for an ice cream cone. I should have invested in cheap trophy manufacturers in the early 90’s!  Save the trophies for the grownups who win the Super Bowl or the Nobel prize or whatever. 

Then there's the crap you can get in the working world - cheap plaques, lucite awards, certificates printed in the office and put in a paper holder.  I knew this guy who was relatively high up in his organization and in his office he had every cheesy award given to him by the Rotary or the Kiwanis or whoever.  What do you do with all that when you no longer have an office?  My dad brought home a box of stuff like that when he retired.  He died 16 years later and my mom couldn't bring herself to throw it out.  When she died a decade later, it took about 8 seconds for my siblings and me to decide to toss it all in the dumpster when we were clearing out Mom's home.  It was great that Dad was recognized by his peers at statewide and national professional organizations.  Just that memory was enough, we didn't need the plaques! 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I'm finding as I get older that "current" means "any time period I can remember".

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm going to disagree with this, it was totally the 90's! As a teenager of the 80's I do not remember ever receiving an award unless you were in 1st 2nd or 3rd. My daughters were born in '90 and '94 respectively and I remember them gettin awards for just showing up and being baffeled about how low the bar was set. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Award ceremonies have been my bane for years because in every school I've been at the teachers themselves announce the awards in the auditorium and it's a big school assembly. I have a severe phobia of public speaking and always have a panic attack about presenting the award. I've even taken the day off just to avoid speaking at the assembly.

Mine too, but for diffrent reasons: they are boring as hell.

• Love 3

My high school had a sports banquet, with participation ribbons for everyone on every team (at least some acknowledgement of merit, as people had to try out for a spot on a team), as well as trophies for MVP, skills competitions, sportsmanship, most improved....

They eventually recognized they were ignoring all of the geeks,  so the banquet was expanded to include all non-sports extra-curriculars, as well as academic achievement.  So there were participation ribbons for drama and student council, and certificates for top students. 

It was a long night. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Mine too, but for diffrent reasons: they are boring as hell.

When my daughter graduated from university I didn't really put up much of a fight when she insisted she didn't want to go to the grad ceremony.  A very long afternoon just to watch your kid get her 15 seconds of glory as she crosses the stage.  

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I've been without water since Tuesday. An no, I'm not in Texas.

Just in a smallish Canadian city with old infrastructure which has at least 2 water main breaks/leaks per day during this time of the year.

I'm sick of it.

Oh that sucks. I hope they get the water back on for you soon!

My peeve is tags in clothing. I hate tags so, so much. And when you take them out, even with a seam ripper, there are still itchy things left behind.

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My peeve is tags in clothing. I hate tags so, so much. And when you take them out, even with a seam ripper, there are still itchy things left behind.

Me too.  I understand why they have to be there but removing them without making a hole is a time-consuming pain in the neck.

And even if I manage 100% removal, I still suffer from phantom itch.

• Love 3