Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I went to a restaurant today. The person placed in the booth behind me was sitting there solo and was playing a Princess Diana doc  at full volume so close to her face that I heard every line better than I could hear my sister across from me. No one was in the booth behind hers so all she had to do was switch to the other side and she could have played her doc full volume and not disturbed anyone. I can't stand when people play videos on their phone full volume for everyone to hear. Invest in some headphones, dammit.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 15
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I work in an office with desks near each other. People have no damn respect or manners. One literally screams everything she says or talks on speaker phone. She also pops bubble gum all day

Any chance you could replace the gum with spicy gum or nasty tasting joke gum?  I also like the idea of recording it and uploading it to your page. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I went to a restaurant today. The person placed in the booth behind me was sitting there solo and was playing a Princess Diana doc  at full volume so close to her face that I heard every line better than I could hear my sister across from me. No one was in the booth behind hers so all she had to do was switch to the other side and she could have played her doc full volume and not disturbed anyone. I can't stand when people play videos on their phone full volume for everyone to hear. Invest in some headphones, dammit.

Phones and tablets come with headphones, so why not just use THAT?  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Any chance you could replace the gum with spicy gum or nasty tasting joke gum?  I also like the idea of recording it and uploading it to your page. 

Your quote was wrongly attributed to me. I made the comment underneath it. Sorry. I don’t mean to correct you but the question belongs to @Petunia13

LOL..Petunia, if you do leave the spicy/nasty gum be sure to wipe your fingerprints off of it and leave it anonymously! 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I work in an office with desks near each other. People have no damn respect or manners. One literally screams everything she says or talks on speaker phone. She also pops bubble gum all day and racha crunchy smelly food close by. Another laughs like a hyena and slams shit around like a wild animal. 

They know it distracts me but don't give a fuck likes it's their personal barn. 

Go search this board for my rants on gum snappers. I am getting stabby on your behalf just reading your post/.

21 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

It really rattles me since I have learning disabilities, including dyslexia, so it's hard to read or even pay attention. My boss's won't move desks or anything. 

If there is no HR policy about gum chewing or eating at ones desk there is nothing your boss or HR can really do about it.

But if it's distracting you from your work due to your need to focus more than others due to your disabilities it perhaps a "reasonable accommodation" would be to move your desk. 

• Love 5

If there is no HR policy about gum chewing or eating at ones desk there is nothing your boss or HR can really do about it.

Sure they can. There's no HR policy in my office saying I can't dance naked on my desk, but you can bet steps would be taken if I did it.

They can't fire the offender, but they can damned well enforce the "don't be a jerk in the office" policy. 

• Love 9

My pet peeve happens on this board, and on other online forums.   "Prolly", instead of PROBABLY.  I think it bugs me because my kids would sometimes say "probly", and I would correct them, saying you have to pronounce it correctly so you know how to spell it.  But now, it's not even "probly", it's prolly.  I hate it. 

• Love 15

You know she said something yesterday in earshot (of course, she's loud af) to her buddy that I'm standoffish and sour and unfriendly. That she's not gonna try to like me. Then then did the verbal version of subtweeting by talking about negative or cold people and shit next to me. I finally said I heard them. I prefer to keep to myself and  work. Then she said by not being social and asking her about her life and chatting I'm an oddball. I mentioned she's said I'm not likable and that she'll exclude me. So I'll left her be. Also, I said well to be honest it's hard enough for me to keep my focus and get things done sometimes because of the distractions, I have dyslexia so have to pay extra attention and it's hard. She said that's why I don't understand her comments because I'm special. 

She and the other girl keep talking about how they paid their dues and are tight like sooo? They have worked here a whole 2 months longer than me. And neither of them have had a sale. too much drama and bullshit for me. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

You know she said something yesterday in earshot (of course, she's loud af) to her buddy that I'm standoffish and sour and unfriendly. That she's not gonna try to like me. Then then did the verbal version of subtweeting by talking about negative or cold people and shit next to me. I finally said I heard them. I prefer to keep to myself and  work. Then she said by not being social and asking her about her life and chatting I'm an oddball. I mentioned she's said I'm not likable and that she'll exclude me. So I'll left her be. Also, I said well to be honest it's hard enough for me to keep my focus and get things done sometimes because of the distractions, I have dyslexia so have to pay extra attention and it's hard. She said that's why I don't understand her comments because I'm special. 

She and the other girl keep talking about how they paid their dues and are tight like sooo? They have worked here a whole 2 months longer than me. And neither of them have had a sale. too much drama and bullshit for me. 

Do you work with a bunch of five year olds?  It's one thing to be inconsiderate with gum snapping and loud talking and whatnot.  But, to be downright rude and talking about people behind their backs right in front of them, and then call some one "special'?  That's right out of junior high, not adulthood.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, backformore said:

My pet peeve happens on this board, and on other online forums.   "Prolly", instead of PROBABLY.  I think it bugs me because my kids would sometimes say "probly", and I would correct them, saying you have to pronounce it correctly so you know how to spell it.  But now, it's not even "probly", it's prolly.  I hate it. 

Add me to this. And I will also add the word "legit" when I know the person or persons mean legitimately. Or "abt" instead of "about." Basically, a laziness/refusal to spell OUT WORDS.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, backformore said:

]My pet peeve happens on this board, and on other online forums.   "Prolly", instead of PROBABLY.  I think it bugs me because my kids would sometimes say "probly", and I would correct them, saying you have to pronounce it correctly so you know how to spell it.  But now, it's not even "probly", it's prolly.  I hate it. 

I  think  that 'prolly' is best for parrots wanting crackers NOT people  who need to use 'probably'! I also hate 'whatev' which is lazy for 'whatever'.

Sad thing is that in X number of years, it's likely that PRINTED dictionaries will consider both these terms (as well as one I especially loathe[ 'sick' -meaning  excellent, awesome,cool, wonderful, congratulations,etc.]). But perhaps dictionaries will cease to be printed before those terms/ definitions ooze their ways in.

Edited by Blergh
bracket time
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Add me to this. And I will also add the word "legit" when I know the person or persons mean legitimately. Or "abt" instead of "about." Basically, a laziness/refusal to spell OUT WORDS.

I don't mind "legit"--I am an offender; I'm sorry! (But I am too legit to quit! And I guess I should apologize for that too, haha!) But, oooh, do I hate "ppl"! And I've said this one here before, "cause" for "because" makes me want to punch things.

Want to get mad too? "Nucular" is acknowledged in Webster's as a nonstandard pronunciation of "nuclear."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't mind "legit"--I am an offender; I'm sorry! (But I am too legit to quit! And I guess I should apologize for that too, haha!) But, oooh, do I hate "ppl"! And I've said this one here before, "cause" for "because" makes me want to punch things.

I was going to chime in on "legit" as well. 

For me, legit is fine to use when I'm clearly using slang to make a point. It's like me occasionally using the words ain't or gonna. There is a time and a place for me to go there. 

But I won't shorten legitimate to legit just to abbreviate the word when everything else I am writing or saying is in my normal voice. Same rules apply for me with because. 

• Love 6
On 2/26/2018 at 2:44 PM, Petunia13 said:

It really rattles me since I have learning disabilities, including dyslexia, so it's hard to read or even pay attention. My boss's won't move desks or anything. 

I would write a letter to your boss (keep a copy) about how the distractions by your co-workers are adversely affecting your ability to work with your disabilities and that you request a reasonable accomodations by moving to an empty office.  Maybe it will light a spark inside him that this is potentially the first step in a failure to accomodate under the ADA lawsuit.  Not that you would have to go that far, hopefully, but maybe your boss will think that's a possibility if he doesn't do something.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Not that I recommend doing this, but the last time someone at work tried to pull that BS on me, I responded that I was a high-functioning sociopath and had zero interest in their personal lives. The noise level decreased, the rude comments about my being cold/unsociable ceased, and the work environment was much better. I think they interpreted "high-functioning sociopath" to mean that if they pissed me off, I'd go all "Dexter" on them, which truly was not my intention. I just wanted them to STFU so I could get my damn work done. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

For the longest time I thought "abt" was an acronym.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, Katy M said:

people who say LOL drive me nuts.  You do realize you can just laugh, right? 

Huh, I don't remember ever encountering this.  But I DID have a good friend in high school who told me that she had not realized until the age of ten or so that the printed words "ha ha ha" were meant to represent the sound of laughter.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
leaving out crucial words!
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Huh, I don't remember ever encountering this.  But I DID have a good friend in high school who told me that had not realized until the age of ten or so that the printed words "ha ha ha" were meant to represent the sound of laughter.

ha ha ha.  That's pretty funny.  I actually don't know anyone personally who does the LOL thing.  But, I overheard someone do it as I was walking by.  They said LOL and then laughed.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, people who say LOL drive me nuts.  You do realize you can just laugh, right?

Since I am a laughing on the inside kind of person, it would never occur to me that I need to be told or to tell someone to laugh.

21 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Dunno if I've heard someone utter "lol", but if I never hear someone say "oh em gee!" again, it will be far too soon.

People actually say these letters? I never use the former, since I like using the emojis to "show" that I'm laughing happily, or mockingly or my ass off. I will use the latter in emails, boards or private messages when I am uberly excited about something. Kind of like Squeeing. I don't actually squee anymore, I did that during my teen years, as teens are wont to do that sort of thing.

14 hours ago, Popples said:

For the longest time I thought "abt" was an acronym.

Nope. In the sentences it has been used that I have seen, it's clearly a "shortcut" for about. They'll type every other word out, but for this one word, it's "abt." Drives me nuts.

17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Table for one here. I’ll write lol, but it’s to let you know that your comment had me laughing. Didn’t realize that it’s a language faux pas. 

Since it's text speak, since humans were given the ability to send text messages on their phones, I don't consider it a language faux pas.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Table for one here. I’ll write lol, but it’s to let you know that your comment had me laughing. Didn’t realize that it’s a language faux pas. 

Nothing wrong with typing it.  I meant saying it in person.

1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

Since I am a laughing on the inside kind of person, it would never occur to me that I need to be told or to tell someone to laugh.

Sure, I don't always laugh, but I would say "that's funny" instead of LOL.  I mean LOL literally means that you're laughing out loud.  And, yet you're not.  Which is fine, but why say that you are, then.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I am blanking if it was Colbert or the Daily Show but one of them just hosted a guest who  was all about linguistics and runs a linguistics blog.

Someone find this, please!

It was Colbert. The linguist's name is John McWhorter. He has a podcast (I think), but I don't remember the name of it. He was very interesting and has helped make me change my thinking about how language evolves.

7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

LOL in a text or email is fine, as long as you don't overuse it.   Just don't SAY "LOL" out loud.  LOL was originally a way to tell someone in email or post that what they wrote made you laugh (because they can't see or hear you).  If you are WITH someone and they say something funny, LAUGH!  if you say "LOL"  it sounds, at least to me, to be sarcastic.  

I have a friend who sends group emails about various things, and inserts "lol" into sentences all the time, and it drive me crazy - like "I went to the bakery to buy that dessert I like so much, but they were out of it, lol."  I don't get it.  But I won't say anything, because it's a group email, and I might be the only one who thinks that is weird. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, backformore said:

I have a friend who sends group emails about various things, and inserts "lol" into sentences all the time, and it drive me crazy - like "I went to the bakery to buy that dessert I like so much, but they were out of it, lol."  I don't get it.  But I won't say anything, because it's a group email, and I might be the only one who thinks that is weird. 

My theory is that people who do this, text and talk online more than they do in person, and that has now become their "first language."  They would have to translate LOL=laugh in their head to actually do that instead.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, backformore said:

LOL in a text or email is fine, as long as you don't overuse it.   Just don't SAY "LOL" out loud.  LOL was originally a way to tell someone in email or post that what they wrote made you laugh (because they can't see or hear you).  If you are WITH someone and they say something funny, LAUGH!  if you say "LOL"  it sounds, at least to me, to be sarcastic.  

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

My theory is that people who do this, text and talk online more than they do in person, and that has now become their "first language."  They would have to translate LOL=laugh in their head to actually do that instead.

It sounds like backformore’s friend LOLs at things that aren’t exactly laugh-out-loud funny. In the bakery example, she  (or he) probably meant something like, ‘the bakery was out of crullers.  Can you friggin believe that?’ But that would take too many words. Which is why it takes me forever to text and type emails. Because I want to type all of the words. 

And yes, I know I’m making assumptions about a two-degrees of separation stranger. 

• Love 6
On 2/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, theredhead77 said:

Go search this board for my rants on gum snappers. I am getting stabby on your behalf just reading your post/.

I used to work across from a paper-ripper.  I thought I was going to lose my mind.

I have no idea what she was ripping up, (think she was replacing pages in a binder?) but it happened everyday for at least a half hour.  And it was very quiet in the office.  It's all everyone heard.

Slow and methodical.   Just like my mind going with every riiiiip.   Wanted her for polyanna so I could get her a damn shredder.  

• Love 1

I really think some people use "LOL" as punctuation or something. Yet another thing I see often in the Real Housewives threads, usually following a normal statement that isn't particularly humorous. It's like a nervous typographical tic!

• Love 4
(edited)

And just what's funny about it?!

Oh my god, I just recalled something from my last job--the super-peevy one I posted about here often. Some of you may recall that I was laid off because they saw no need to pay a copy editor anymore. This "LOL" conversation reminds me of the day I was looking over some of the product copy on the website, and there at the end of one (really badly written)  item description, instead of a period, was "lol." Nope, no need for a trained editor there.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

And just what's funny about it?!

Exactly. Even in this context I went to the store and saw [completely ridiculous thing, or inside joke] lol a laughing emoji would be more appropriate.

• Love 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, backformore said:

I have a friend who sends group emails about various things, and inserts "lol" into sentences all the time, and it drive me crazy - like "I went to the bakery to buy that dessert I like so much, but they were out of it, lol."  I don't get it. 

People I find also seem to use 'LOL' as punctuation. Or what @TattleTeeny said.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I have a colleague who includes emojis in his professional emails.  I'm just waiting for the day I have to put one of them in evidence for a judge to see.   

• Love 7
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Even in this context I went to the store and saw [completely ridiculous thing, or inside joke] lol a laughing emoji would be more appropriate.

I agree (I hate emojis, but I can handle a smiley face) -- LOL should be a response to someone else's message, not part of your own.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Quof said:

I have a colleague who includes emojis in his professional emails.  I'm just waiting for the day I have to put one of them in evidence for a judge to see.   

In your defense for justifiable homicide?

• Love 9